PDA

View Full Version : Is WR Davante Adams a prime candidate among NFL team Vets to be cut during TC?

woodbuck27
05-11-2016, 06:29 AM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2639139-early-predictions-for-this-years-most-surprising-nfl-veteran-roster-cuts?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=nfl

Early Predictions for This Year's Most Surprising NFL Veteran Roster Cuts

By Kristopher Knox , Featured Columnist May 10, 2016

BY: Paul Sancya/Associated Press

Packers receiver Davante Adams is one of several veterans who could be released before the start of the 2016 season.

Comment woodbuck27:

Has it gone so south for Davante Adams? I hope stuff like this article encourage him to be much better this season.

Pugger
05-11-2016, 08:16 AM
There is no way we are giving up on Adams unless he plays even worse this summer but I doubt it. Last year he tried to play on a bum ankle. Yes, he had the drops but so did Jordy in his sophomore season.

What I found interesting in that Bleacher Report article was how disappointing House was in Jax last year. I guess it was wise of us to let him walk.

mraynrand
05-11-2016, 08:23 AM
cut the f'er

Patler
05-11-2016, 08:40 AM
Generally, high round draft picks who don't last for their original contract play poorly in both practices and games. That hasn't been the case with Adams. When you consider also that he had a solid rookie year, it seems doubtful that they wouldn't give him this season to show in games what he has in practices.

pbmax
05-11-2016, 10:04 AM
No.

mraynrand
05-11-2016, 10:08 AM
If you don't cut him it sends a message to the rest of the team that getting injured is OK.

Zool
05-11-2016, 10:58 AM
It's bleacher report. That's really all you need to know.

Guiness
05-11-2016, 11:08 AM
It's bleacher report. That's really all you need to know.

+1, I was going to mention that. Add on the comment about House playing poorly...would that be same guy that broke the Jax single season record to pass deflections with 26?

texaspackerbacker
05-11-2016, 11:30 AM
I never liked Adams. It's a matter of numbers now, assuming this Davis amounts to something, and if somebody has to go, I'd much rather it be Adams than any of the others.

yetisnowman
05-11-2016, 11:59 AM
If you don't cut him it sends a message to the rest of the team that getting injured is OK.

His hands were injured?

mraynrand
05-11-2016, 12:22 PM
His hands were injured?

Was he injured?

yetisnowman
05-11-2016, 12:59 PM
Was he injured?

You made the comment about being injured....maybe i misunderstood.

mraynrand
05-11-2016, 01:52 PM
You made the comment about being injured....maybe i misunderstood.

possibly. I suspect more that your focus was very very narrow. You were looking so so hard and long at his fingers and hands that perhaps you didn't recognize that his ankles were screwed up.

MadScientist
05-11-2016, 02:06 PM
If everyone is healthy, the last spot is likely to come down to Adams vs Abby. If Adams shows his problems last year were due to bum ankles, he will make it. Janis could be on the bubble if he shows his limited time last year was not due to inadequate coaching, but due to a fundamental inability to grasp the offense or run good routes.

yetisnowman
05-11-2016, 02:16 PM
possibly. I suspect more that your focus was very very narrow. You were looking so so hard and long at his fingers and hands that perhaps you didn't recognize that his ankles were screwed up.

if his only problem was getting open, I would accept that excuse. Many others will always disagree with my premise that bad ankles don't lead to drops. Just as strained calfs don't force you to throw jumpballs towards Richard Sherman, etc, etc, etc....
The guy finally made a few plays in the playoff game, and promptly got hurt.
I worry Davante is psychologically rattled at this point.

mraynrand
05-11-2016, 02:24 PM
if his only problem was getting open, I would accept that excuse. Many others will always disagree with my premise that bad ankles don't lead to drops. Just as strained calfs don't force you to throw jumpballs towards Richard Sherman, etc, etc, etc....
The guy finally made a few plays in the playoff game, and promptly got hurt.
I worry Davante is psychologically rattled at this point.

Could be. I see the injuries as a factor, but it's only part of the story. Hope he bounces back because he has a lot of qualities you like in a WR. I also think there's a chance Monty will not be ready, so they probably will need him, at least for a time.

Maxie the Taxi
05-11-2016, 02:51 PM
To early to tell, but from what I've seen on film of Davis, I'd keep him instead of Abby or Adams, if it comes down to that. Abby is slow and one hit in the head away from an ended career. Adams flashes but is neither fast nor big-play explosive. Davis has speed and big play ability. We'll see.

Zool
05-11-2016, 03:01 PM
To early to tell, but from what I've seen on film of Davis, I'd keep him instead of Abby or Adams, if it comes down to that. Abby is slow and one hit in the head away from an ended career. Adams flashes but is neither fast nor big-play explosive. Davis has speed and big play ability. We'll see.

Everyone said the same thing about James Jones early in his career. I think 90% of Adams' issues last year were right between the ears. If he can get his confidence back he'll be a player.

Smidgeon
05-11-2016, 03:26 PM
If everyone is healthy, the last spot is likely to come down to Adams vs Abby. If Adams shows his problems last year were due to bum ankles, he will make it. Janis could be on the bubble if he shows his limited time last year was not due to inadequate coaching, but due to a fundamental inability to grasp the offense or run good routes.

I think Janis would have to stumble big to not make the roster. Besides the potential he showed as a WR, he also has a ton of special teams quality. They might give him another year to develop, but I see this next year (his third) as being roughly equivalent to another player's second year. So I expect the WR jump to happen this year.

pbmax
05-11-2016, 04:38 PM
Better protection will make Rodgers more accurate again and will solve a lot of problems with the receivers.

I think Janis is in more danger than Adams. The coaches didn't trust Janis to run the play calls last year and he flashed only when they were playing playground ball. This is Year 3 for him. He needs to learn how to run the offense and its routes. They don't like to let athletes go, but McCarthy is not going to want to keep a guy who cannot be trusted to run the play.

George Cumby
05-11-2016, 04:48 PM
Adams has a lot of talent as evidenced by his play the tail end of his rookie year. If he gets his shit together, Abby doesn't pose a serious threat to his spot on the roster, nor does Janis.

Rutnstrut
05-11-2016, 05:31 PM
Better protection will make Rodgers more accurate again and will solve a lot of problems with the receivers.

I think Janis is in more danger than Adams. The coaches didn't trust Janis to run the play calls last year and he flashed only when they were playing playground ball. This is Year 3 for him. He needs to learn how to run the offense and its routes. They don't like to let athletes go, but McCarthy is not going to want to keep a guy who cannot be trusted to run the play.

Better protection would make most QB's more accurate. Rodgers is supposed to be better than all the rest. So better protection or not, he better be more accurate this year.

mraynrand
05-11-2016, 05:38 PM
Better protection would make most QB's more accurate. Rodgers is supposed to be better than all the rest. So better protection or not, he better be more accurate this year.

Better or not, if you're getting sacked nine times in a game, it's turn out the lights, even for the best of QBs. Watch Steve Young playing for Tampa Bay. People thought he should be better too. Amazing how playing with better players overall made him 'magically' a HOF QB. This isn't archery: it's football.

Joemailman
05-11-2016, 05:43 PM

I agree about Janis. It's a big jump from Saginaw Valley State to the NFL, but this is year 3. If he doesn't have the offense figured out this year, it may be time to move on. Davis is a real threat to him. Adams will make it unless he's just totally lost confidence and can't get it back.

I see the top 7 WR's as:

1. Nelson
2. Cobb
3. Montgomery
4. Adams
5. Davis
6. Janis
7. Abby

Bossman641
05-11-2016, 06:28 PM
He's a candidate to be cut but certainly not a prime candidate. Last year will always be a mystery to me. Rodgers and the coaches were talking him up all offseason....Rodgers said he could be a star. Was it only the injuries? Did he slack off between OTA's and TC opening? McCarthy made comments about both him and DickRod needing to get themselves better prepared for the long season. Definitely will be an interesting offseason. Between Adams, Nelson, Janis, and DickRod we certainly have our share of players who have uncertainty surrounding them.

3irty1
05-11-2016, 07:59 PM
I think Adams, Abby, and Davis are fighting for two spots in what is probably close to a fair fight. If Adams still has all this potential he's got nothing to worry about.

woodbuck27
05-11-2016, 08:41 PM
He's a candidate to be cut but certainly not a prime candidate. Last year will always be a mystery to me. Rodgers and the coaches were talking him up all offseason....Rodgers said he could be a star. Was it only the injuries? Did he slack off between OTA's and TC opening? McCarthy made comments about both him and DickRod needing to get themselves better prepared for the long season. Definitely will be an interesting offseason. Between Adams, Nelson, Janis, and DickRod we certainly have our share of players who have uncertainty surrounding them.

Nice post.

You sum the WR position for the Packers up well.

I believe all the original confidence in Adams will return. He'll fight to play better and will.

run pMc
05-11-2016, 08:45 PM
I think Adams was hurt, rushed back too soon and wasn't effective because of it, and t got to his head. I also wonder if the ankle didn't heal all the way. I thought Adams was supposed to be a pretty good route runner; that has to be tough with a bad ankle. I heard the talk about Rodgers calling him out for his work ethic; wouldn't doubt the "offseason MVP" talk went to his head and didn't prepare like he should have. I think that unless he completely craps the bed or pulls a Rae Carruth his roster spot is safe.
There's also the issues of subpar OL performance and a lack of a true WR coach impacting the passing offense, Adams included.

Janis needs to show he can be consistent and trusted, then he'll stick. He has high special teams value, which you want out of your reserve WRs.
Not sure what Abby provides that the others don't. Yeah, he's a good story and I'm rooting for him, but I think the roster spot comes down to him and Davis. The injury history is a concern with Abby too. Could they try to stash Abby on the PS?

woodbuck27
05-11-2016, 08:52 PM
I agree about Janis. It's a big jump from Saginaw Valley State to the NFL, but this is year 3. If he doesn't have the offense figured out this year, it may be time to move on. Davis is a real threat to him. Adams will make it unless he's just totally lost confidence and can't get it back.

I see the top 7 WR's as:

1. Nelson
2. Cobb
3. Montgomery
4. Adams
5. Davis
6. Janis
7. Abby

I believe it's:

1. Nelson
2.Cobb
3.Adams
4. Montgomery
5.Janis or Davis...ST Value
6.Abby is done as a Packer.

pbmax
05-11-2016, 09:08 PM

I don't buy that in this case. Most QB who are inaccurate are consistently inaccurate. And in one year, Rodgers suddenly got way out of sync. Even great QBs can struggle with pressure, but for 12.5 games, Rodgers was a different QB and he was not always facing the most fearsome pass rush.

I think there is a chance that something went badly wrong with him last year. But we have other examples of his more common struggles and they did not look like 2015. He has had trouble with protection, sliding in the pocket and hanging on to the ball before, but it didn't make him a tire fire.

But when you add poor protection to the no huddle offense, the no coach WRs (injured and underperforming) and Fat Lacy, and I think the odds are better that it was circumstantial.

There is a possibility he's gone wrong. I just think its the least likely explanation.

pbmax
05-11-2016, 09:09 PM
I agree with woodbuck, absent continued deterioration from Adams, I think Janis and Davis are the direct competitors.

The less that Monty can do, the better the odds of Abby sticking.

Patler
05-11-2016, 09:33 PM
Janis could easily become the offense's version of Jarrett Bush, a guy who will make the team because of his ST play alone, and will otherwise see the field only infrequently. I don't think there is much risk of him not being at least the last WR.

mraynrand
05-11-2016, 09:41 PM
There is a possibility he's gone wrong. I just think its the least likely explanation.

It was a down year for him, regardless of the other circumstances. We just don't know yet if it's permanent and/or start of an unrecoverable downward slide.

Patler
05-11-2016, 09:59 PM
It was a down year for him, regardless of the other circumstances. We just don't know yet if it's permanent and/or start of an unrecoverable downward slide.

Especially since it seemingly started in training camp.

Bretsky
05-11-2016, 10:15 PM
Fresno Fraud

Guiness
05-11-2016, 10:36 PM

I see the top 7 WR's as:

1. Nelson
2. Cobb
3. Montgomery
4. Adams
5. Davis
6. Janis
7. Abby

Meaning Davis, Janis and Abby are fighting for the last spot (assuming 5 WRs)? That would be bad for Janis and Abby, I don't see a 5th rounder getting cut.

I agree with your ranking, but I think Montgomery is likely to start the season on the PUP, hence out of the picture for 6 weeksj. As long as Davis doesn't stink up the joint he gets a pass for being a rookie, leaving Janis and Abby for the last WR spot.

BZnDallas
05-12-2016, 12:36 AM
Hate to say it but Abby and his concussions are the biggest risk to the Packers WRs. He's a great home town hero story and nobody can take that away from him. He played for his home state team, the Green Bay Packers. Unfortunately the story probably comes to an end there. Davis is a better version. Bigger and faster and will do the ST things Abby did as well. Short of an injury I just don't see a spot on the roster for him. Thank you for your football time as a Badger and Packer Abby! In the words of Charles Barkley, "He a good duuude."

3irty1
05-12-2016, 07:19 AM
At this point I think Janis is safer than all three of Adams, Abby, or Davis on special teams alone. Not to mention the high note he ended the season on. Regardless of injuries Adams took the field and was completely ineffective last year. When finally replaced, his replacements outperformed him. In year three his draft stock isn't going to save him, he's going to have to have another one of those Augusts where Rodgers and McCarthy are mentioning him in the same sentence as "pro bowl." His path to make the team should be easy if he was hurt but it is merit based.

I think Abby is Adams biggest competition. He's filled out and showed that he's got more NFL potential than a career slot guy so he can make the team without causing a log jam. Don't know how much of a gambler's fallacy it is to look at past injury and assume future injury. Hopefully Abby doesn't leave glass doll parts all over the field this year.

Davis just simply has to show value. I don't get the sense that this is a project guy like Janis was nor the sense that he is competing with Janis for the team position of "fast guy." They're looking for a Kenny Stills here. A guy who can do the most possible damage with 30 catches and I think its just as simple as that. With Janis such a mad man on return and coverage teams I think some fresh legs would be a nice compliment.

Pugger
05-12-2016, 07:29 AM
Janis could easily become the offense's version of Jarrett Bush, a guy who will make the team because of his ST play alone, and will otherwise see the field only infrequently. I don't think there is much risk of him not being at least the last WR.

I am thinking the same thing. Janis' ST play will keep him on the roster this coming season.

Zool
05-12-2016, 08:27 AM
Davis is going to have to truly suck in order to not make the team. There are very few times a draft pick is cut during his rookie camp.

texaspackerbacker
05-12-2016, 08:39 AM
There seems to be a helluva lot of difference of opinion on these guys. Myself, I'm definitely negative on Adams. I also have never been very impressed with Montgomery, although maybe he has more ability than I've seen. Janis has always been the one I wanted to see play, and I think he proved his value when he finally got a chance. I rank them like this (Davis is pretty subjective since it's all measurables and hope with him):

1 Nelson
2 Cobb
3 Janis
4 Davis
5 Montgomery
6 Abbrederis
7 Adams

pbmax
05-12-2016, 09:16 AM

I am thinking the same thing. Janis' ST play will keep him on the roster this coming season.

After a few fits and starts, Bush was ensconced on the roster, but they did everything they could to not play him on Defense. Only exception late in his career was when the Packers were short of safety talent and Bush got the call in the slot versus TEs.

If he makes the roster as a ST only, Janis will be WR number six.

MadScientist
05-12-2016, 09:23 AM

Well if he comes off the bench to make a key play to win the Super Bowl, I'm good with that out of his career. The big difference is that Bush seemed to get all he could out of marginal physical tools, and so far Janis has all kinds of tools but they only seem to shine on ST.

Patler
05-12-2016, 09:45 AM
After a few fits and starts, Bush was ensconced on the roster, but they did everything they could to not play him on Defense. Only exception late in his career was when the Packers were short of safety talent and Bush got the call in the slot versus TEs.

If he makes the roster as a ST only, Janis will be WR number six.

Could be, but, except due to injuries, GB has not used their #5 WR very extensively for quite a while, so even if they don't want to play him, they might keep just 5, with him being the last.

Striker
05-12-2016, 09:53 AM

I agree as well.

I see Abby as the odd man out since everyone else can do what he does better.

Adams should (hopefully) bounce back. Both Jones and Nelson had rough year twos (for one reason or another) but came back strong. Hopefully the pattern holds.

Patler
05-12-2016, 10:02 AM
Well if he comes off the bench to make a key play to win the Super Bowl, I'm good with that out of his career. The big difference is that Bush seemed to get all he could out of marginal physical tools, and so far Janis has all kinds of tools but they only seem to shine on ST.

Bush had very good physical tools. In several events he tested nearly as good as, and in some things better than Janis did. Mid-4.40s in the 40, reportedly once as low as 4.36; 39" vertical; 10'5" broad jump; 4.11 shuttle. Decent size, strong and fit. The Packers brought him in to be, and did initially use him as their 3rd CB. They even gave him several opportunities to start at both CB and S, although perhaps more out of respect and loyalty, because his chances never lasted long.

MadtownPacker
05-12-2016, 10:46 AM
Fresno FraudYou agree with TPB. Nuff said!

Adams will be fine. You doubters will forget about this thread and claim you knew it all along. I can't believe 1 bad season out of 2 total can even merit this discussion. Makes me very relieved TT is running shit. But many of you would make great candidates for the next Bears GM opening.

mraynrand
05-12-2016, 11:02 AM
But many of you would make great candidates for the next Bears GM opening.

I would love to be the Bears GM. #Bearsstillsuck

ThunderDan
05-12-2016, 11:25 AM
You agree with TPB. Nuff said!

Adams will be fine. You doubters will forget about this thread and claim you knew it all along. I can't believe 1 bad season out of 2 total can even merit this discussion. Makes me very relieved TT is running shit. But many of you would make great candidates for the next Bears GM opening.

I hope you are correct. Adams was really coming on at the end of 2014 and had the monster game against DAL in the playoffs.

I still have faith he will get over his drops and pick up where he ended 2014 in 2016.

Netmag
05-12-2016, 11:32 AM
We would have to have proven commodities up and down the WR position to get rid of Adams and we do not. For better or for worse, the Packers are not a "What have you done for me lately organization". I would be surprised if they dumped Adams due to the fact that he had a great first year and a not completely unexpected bad sophomore year. I don't think that's quite enough for the Packers to give up on a kid (even though the article wants to cast him as a seasoned veteran already). In fact, the only reason everyone's so focused on it is because we were so lean and needy at the position (Jordy out, Cobb hobbled, no significant help from the TEs) so that focus made it even worse because we essentially needed him to jump into a number one role on a dime. Disappointing that he couldn't do it and even more so that he made mistakes to exasperate things, but then again it was just his 2nd year. Anyway, not impossible, but I'd be surprised if the Packers gave up on him. I think he'd have to really be slacking in camp this year for that to happen.

George Cumby
05-12-2016, 11:37 AM

This is a total tangent, but I find it really funny that a bunch of middle aged internet experts like us are so willing to pass judgement and sometimes condemn these phenomenal athletes. (This isn't directed at MadScientist, BTW, we all do it to some degree). Jarrett Bush's worst day would look better than any of our BEST days.

Just an observation.

George Cumby
05-12-2016, 11:39 AM
We would have to have proven commodities up and down the WR position to get rid of Adams and we do not. For better or for worse, the Packers are not a "What have you done for me lately organization". I would be surprised if they dumped Adams due to the fact that he had a great first year and a not completely unexpected bad sophomore year. I don't think that's quite enough for the Packers to give up on a kid (even though the article wants to cast him as a seasoned veteran already). In fact, the only reason everyone's so focused on it is because we were so lean and needy at the position (Jordy out, Cobb hobbled, no significant help from the TEs) so that focus made it even worse because we essentially needed him to jump into a number one role on a dime. Disappointing that he couldn't do it and even more so that he made mistakes to exasperate things, but then again it was just his 2nd year. Anyway, not impossible, but I'd be surprised if the Packers gave up on him. I think he'd have to really be slacking in camp this year for that to happen.

Nice first post.

Welcome!

George Cumby
05-12-2016, 11:40 AM
There seems to be a helluva lot of difference of opinion on these guys. Myself, I'm definitely negative on Adams. I also have never been very impressed with Montgomery, although maybe he has more ability than I've seen. Janis has always been the one I wanted to see play, and I think he proved his value when he finally got a chance. I rank them like this (Davis is pretty subjective since it's all measurables and hope with him):

1 Nelson
2 Cobb
3 Janis
4 Davis
5 Montgomery
6 Abbrederis
7 Adams

What the FUCK are you smoking?

texaspackerbacker
05-12-2016, 12:02 PM
I'm starting to see some of the same old stupid Janis-hate creeping in. He's the only one beyond Nelson (hopefully back to normal) and Cobb (great as #2, not so hot as #1) who gave the passing game much of a lift at all - and I include when Montgomery was healthy. Adams played like crap; Montgomery wasn't bad, just kinda mediocre. Hopefully they won't just let Davis sit around and go to waste for a couple of years like they did Janis - assuming Davis is near as good as some think.

mraynrand
05-12-2016, 12:27 PM
Not only are the Packers going to keep Adams, but they are going to innovate with the 6 wide package, pulling a crafty Beliciheat and designating one as ineligible just before the snap:

Under NFL rules the offense effectively has to have five players on the line of scrimmage who are ineligible to catch a pass. Normally, these five players are the offensive linemen, and they're stacked together in the middle of the field.

The Patriots didn't do that on those three plays. They used four clearly identifiable offensive linemen and had another player who was lined up in a different part of the formation declare himself as the fifth ineligible player.

The problem: The Ravens didn't know who that ineligible player would be until the referee announced it a few seconds before the play started. The Patriots were basically playing hide-and-seek with which receivers were eligible and which were linemen disguised as receivers.

After the game, Ravens coach John Harbaugh objected to the tactic, saying, "It was clearly deception."

Bill Belichick got to the heart of that deception when he said, "We had six eligible receivers on the field, but only five were eligible."

ThunderDan
05-12-2016, 12:32 PM
I'm starting to see some of the same old stupid Janis-hate creeping in. He's the only one beyond Nelson (hopefully back to normal) and Cobb (great as #2, not so hot as #1) who gave the passing game much of a lift at all - and I include when Montgomery was healthy. Adams played like crap; Montgomery wasn't bad, just kinda mediocre. Hopefully they won't just let Davis sit around and go to waste for a couple of years like they did Janis - assuming Davis is near as good as some think.

What are you smoking? Passing game a lift?

He had 2 catches in the regular season. He had 7 catches for 145 and 2 TDs in the post season and he had 101 of those on 2 Hail Mary's in the same drive.

9 receptions in a year does not give the passing game a lift.

ThunderDan
05-12-2016, 12:37 PM
If there was anyone who gave the passing game a lift this last year it was James Jones. Couldn't get separation but could catch the ball.

Cheesehead Craig
05-12-2016, 12:45 PM
I'm more a fan of Montgomery than I am of Janis. I don't hate Janis, just like Montgomery's potential more. He was able to get lined up in the backfield a la Cobb and create mismatches. He also showed some ability to get open, which I hadn't seen from Janis yet.

I think they keep 6 WRs and assuming they are all healthy, Abby is the odd man out.

Patler
05-12-2016, 12:46 PM
What are you smoking? Passing game a lift?

He had 2 catches in the regular season. He had 7 catches for 145 and 2 TDs and he had 101 of those on 2 Hail Mary's in the same drive.

Ya. Janis was never given (or didn't earn) much of an opportunity to have any impact on the offense. However, his two receptions during the year went for 33 yards and 46 yards in the same game. If memory serves correctly, there were also a couple long PI calls on long throws to him in games about that same time. I couldn't understand why they didn't let him go deep once or twice a game, expecially since nothing else they were doing seemed to be working. When he did go deep and they actually threw it to him, they seemed to get yards one way or another. After those two receptions and a couple PI calls, when he did come into games, it was mostly to block.

Adams screwed up again and again, but still played. It seemed that Janis wasn't allowed to be anything but perfect, nor was Abredderis for that matter. When he had a fumble, he wasn't seen again for a couple weeks. Yet Adams........

George Cumby
05-12-2016, 01:12 PM
As was pointed out before, Schroeder has the ST card, which we need. That alone gets him a roster spot.

Unless Adams totally shits the bed, Abby is odd man out.

Abby still has PS eligibility, no?

HarveyWallbangers
05-12-2016, 01:22 PM
I'm more a fan of Montgomery than I am of Janis. I don't hate Janis, just like Montgomery's potential more. He was able to get lined up in the backfield a la Cobb and create mismatches. He also showed some ability to get open, which I hadn't seen from Janis yet.

I think they keep 6 WRs and assuming they are all healthy, Abby is the odd man out.

This is where I'm at.

ThunderDan
05-12-2016, 01:37 PM
Ya. Janis was never given (or didn't earn) much of an opportunity to have any impact on the offense. However, his two receptions during the year went for 33 yards and 46 yards in the same game. If memory serves correctly, there were also a couple long PI calls on long throws to him in games about that same time. I couldn't understand why they didn't let him go deep once or twice a game, expecially since nothing else they were doing seemed to be working. When he did go deep and they actually threw it to him, they seemed to get yards one way or another. After those two receptions and a couple PI calls, when he did come into games, it was mostly to block.

Adams screwed up again and again, but still played. It seemed that Janis wasn't allowed to be anything but perfect, nor was Abredderis for that matter. When he had a fumble, he wasn't seen again for a couple weeks. Yet Adams........

By screwed up for Adams, I am assuming you mean ran the right route, got open and dropped the ball.

By perfect for Janis, I am assuming you mean can only run a fly pattern correctly.

If that is what you meant we are in total agreement.

pbmax
05-12-2016, 01:46 PM
By screwed up for Adams, I am assuming you mean ran the right route, got open and dropped the ball.

By perfect for Janis, I am assuming you mean can only run a jump ball pattern correctly.

Fixed it for you.

ThunderDan
05-12-2016, 01:57 PM
As was pointed out before, Schroeder has the ST card, which we need. That alone gets him a roster spot.

Unless Adams totally shits the bed, Abby is odd man out.

Abby still has PS eligibility, no?

I think you have the wrong white WR.

pbmax
05-12-2016, 01:57 PM
^ Mad has wired the site to change Janis to Schroeder.

mraynrand
05-12-2016, 02:01 PM
^ Mad has wired the site to change Janis to Schroeder.

liar!

vince
05-12-2016, 02:06 PM
At this point I think Janis is safer than all three of Adams, Abby, or Davis on special teams alone. Not to mention the high note he ended the season on. Regardless of injuries Adams took the field and was completely ineffective last year. When finally replaced, his replacements outperformed him. In year three his draft stock isn't going to save him, he's going to have to have another one of those Augusts where Rodgers and McCarthy are mentioning him in the same sentence as "pro bowl." His path to make the team should be easy if he was hurt but it is merit based.

I think Abby is Adams biggest competition. He's filled out and showed that he's got more NFL potential than a career slot guy so he can make the team without causing a log jam. Don't know how much of a gambler's fallacy it is to look at past injury and assume future injury. Hopefully Abby doesn't leave glass doll parts all over the field this year.

Davis just simply has to show value. I don't get the sense that this is a project guy like Janis was nor the sense that he is competing with Janis for the team position of "fast guy." They're looking for a Kenny Stills here. A guy who can do the most possible damage with 30 catches and I think its just as simple as that. With Janis such a mad man on return and coverage teams I think some fresh legs would be a nice compliment.
Someone's likely to get hurt or not be ready, which could dictate the situation, but I agree with all of that 31. My guess is Monty won't be ready yet.

Patler
05-12-2016, 02:13 PM

By perfect for Janis, I am assuming you mean can only run a fly pattern correctly.

No, I don't mean just that at all. I mean the time Adams stopped his route and caused an interception, the time he didn't fight to keep his crossing route route in front of the DB, but gave the inside to the DB rather easily and again caused an interception (I think), etc. Adams screwed up a lot more than just dropping balls last year, but there were enough of the dropped balls too to justify giving someone else a few plays in his place .

I'm not suggesting that either Abbrederis or Janis should replace Adams, nor that either one should have played a lot. It just became frustrating that not much on offense was working, yet MM seemed unwilling to go beyond Cobb, Jones and Adams even after Montgomery was out and Jones was hurting. It was mostly an adventure when Janis went deep (he circled one like water in a drain), but two receptions for 79 yards in the regular season plus a couple long PI calls made it seem like trying another now and then couldn't have hurt anything. The offense was mostly in neutral anyway. A couple plays a game is all I wanted to see, even if they didn't throw to him on very many of them.

If they couldn't prepare him for at least a couple plays each game, either he should not be on the roster at all, or the WR noncoaching arrangement was a bigger fail than we even know.

yetisnowman
05-12-2016, 02:32 PM
I can think of a bunch of reasons Janis should be dropped. He is not a proficient wide receiver. However, the dude always finds a way to make huge plays. It's hard to not justify a roster spot for a guy like that.

Netmag
05-12-2016, 02:35 PM
Thx. I've lurked here for years. Used to read the JSO forum before it shut down. If I have internet access, I like to follow the comments during the game with other fans even if the game is on tv. It especially helps keep me sane during our post season games. I think I actually joined a couple of years ago, but my account activation email never made it to activation and eventually I stopped worrying about it since I could still read so I was OK. Then I noticed someone saying they were new and just got activated so I checked and I was active too!

Nice first post.

Welcome!

MadtownPacker
05-12-2016, 05:01 PM
Haha! Bashing that slacker admin? You will fit right in!

Welcome.

Guiness
05-12-2016, 08:25 PM
Welcome, belly up to the bar and order yourself a beer :glug:

Bretsky
05-12-2016, 11:32 PM
I agree as well.

I see Abby as the odd man out since everyone else can do what he does better.
Adams should (hopefully) bounce back. Both Jones and Nelson had rough year twos (for one reason or another) but came back strong. Hopefully the pattern holds.

I don't buy into the "everyone can do what he does better comment".

Abby is a sharp route runner. He could use more speed and might get cut. But he runs much sharper routes IMO than Janis, and Adams. I think Adams routes last year were sometimes lazy and sometimes piss poor and MM gave a long leash to fail, and he used every bit of it. Had MM given him a shorter leash and Janis and Abby more opportunity it may have been a good thing. Janis is fast but runs shit routes and still can't be relied on.

As a route runner, I was also very impressed with Montgomery's sharp routes as well and he picked up our offense very fast. He was a HUGE LOSS. Jordy is our best route runner IMO. Cobb is great improvising and runs decent routes as well. Who knows about Davis.

I can see Abby getting cut or making this team and contributing this year.

Pugger
05-13-2016, 05:54 AM
Abby isn't a slow as some are suggesting. I know 40 times are not the be all/end all but what else can we use for comparison? Both Abby and Jordy's 40 are virtually identical.

Fritz
05-13-2016, 06:54 AM
Ah, we all know someone will get hurt anyway so all this will be a moot point.

Patler
05-13-2016, 08:08 AM
As a route runner, ... Who knows about Davis.

Initial reports are very encouraging, in that already he has impressed the DBs, Joe Witt and puppy Wolf.

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2016/05/10/trevor-davis-eyes-route-packers-success/84181302/

In one-on-one drills, practice-squad cornerback Robertson Daniel pressed close to the line of scrimmage. Davis went deep, catching a pass 30 yards downfield.

It looked like a flash of natural, physical ability. It was something more. In his first steps, Davis noticed Daniel was being “patient” with his go-route. Davis took a wide release off the line of scrimmage, avoiding Daniel’s contact.

“He’s really fast,” Daniel said.

He wasn’t getting burned again. Next rep, Daniel backpedaled to guard against the deep ball. Davis sold the go route, avoided Daniel’s jam off the line of scrimmage. With Daniel’s momentum going backward, Davis stopped on a dime.

The football was in his hands when he turned around.

“That’s route running,” Daniel said, “and understanding who you’re going against. He understands his opponent. Because a lot of guys I go against sometimes just try to swivel their way by me. He was taking a lot of wide releases (to avoid press-man coverage). He was taking wide releases away from my reach out, away from my strike point. Which is really smart.”

That’s something else Davis was in his first NFL practice — quite smart, actually.

“It’s everything,” Davis said. “... you have to be a great route runner.
“Working at that is everything, because you’re a receiver. It’s your trade. Running routes is literally everything.”

Davis’ route running was criticized before the draft, but the Packers believe Davis is more than a pure speed receiver.
Moments after the Packers drafted him, director of football operations Eliot Wolf gushed about Davis’ route running. Very smooth, Wolf said. Sudden. Davis, at 6-foot-1 and 188 pounds, played mostly on the perimeter at Cal. The Packers believe he has the shiftiness and technique to also play the slot.

“Good route runner,” Wolf said.

“The first thing that jumps out at you,” McCarthy said, “is his speed. And his hands.”

Davis knows he has a good chance with Rodgers, who he said “throws perfect deep balls.” If his speed is the key to unlocking a spot on the 53-man roster, his route-running will determine whether he sees the field.

So near the end of his first practice, after Davis shook Daniel for a wide-open catch underneath, it was worth noting cornerbacks coach Joe Whitt Jr.’s booming reaction.

“That’s a good route!” Whitt shouted. “That’s a good route!”

Striker
05-13-2016, 10:35 AM
I can think of a bunch of reasons Janis should be dropped. He is not a proficient wide receiver. However, the dude always finds a way to make huge plays. It's hard to not justify a roster spot for a guy like that.

He does have the speed to help ST out, especially on coverage units. So that gives him a pretty big lift that the others don't get.

Striker
05-13-2016, 10:35 AM
Abby isn't a slow as some are suggesting. I know 40 times are not the be all/end all but what else can we use for comparison? Both Abby and Jordy's 40 are virtually identical.

I think his lack of size and durability questions hurt him more.

mraynrand
05-13-2016, 11:33 AM
“The first thing that jumps out at you,” McCarthy said, “is his speed. And his hands.”

It sounds like the second thing that jumps out at you are his hands.

Patler
05-13-2016, 12:18 PM
For some historical perspective, here is a rookie camp article about another slightly built GB Packer draft pick in 1999, Donald Driver:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/189735661.html

They list him at 180 lbs, various lists and rosters at the time listed him at 180-188.

Recently, of course, there is Abbrederis as a very slightly built receiver. A big difference I see is in musculature. Davis out ran and out jumped Abbrederis by quite a bit, and beat him on the bench press 11 reps to 4. I can't find anything on Driver, except of course that he was world class in high jump, long jump and triple jump in college.

(Edit: I meant to post the above in the thread about Davis, but accidentally posted it here. It seems relevant, so I will leave it in both)

mraynrand
05-13-2016, 01:16 PM
^^^ It would be more exciting if you started a new thread entitled "Donald Driver." That hook really draws in the crowds.

pbmax
05-13-2016, 07:28 PM

It sounds like the second thing that jumps out at you are his hands.

Our chief weapon are fear and surprise!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WJXHY2OXGE

run pMc
05-14-2016, 01:46 PM
From the JSO article:

What matters is performance. Beating those defensive backs. Catching everything thrown to him. Not getting injured.

The argument about Abby's skills being duplicates or not as good as others, the injury history is something he'll have to prove (and perhaps he did, last year) is behind him.

Also, any thread with Monty Python is awesome.

Patler
05-14-2016, 01:52 PM
From the JSO article:

The argument about Abby's skills being duplicates or not as good as others, the injury history is something he'll have to prove (and perhaps he did, last year) is behind him.

Didn't he miss a couple games last year with a rib injury?

Zool
05-14-2016, 02:53 PM
Our chief weapon are fear and surprise!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WJXHY2OXGE

Amongst his weaponry are speed and hands, and an almost ruthless devotion to the pope.

George Cumby
05-14-2016, 08:50 PM
From the JSO article:

Also, any thread with Monty Python is awesome.

Virtually every thread more than three pages on this board results in an MP allusion. It's like that rule of the internet about hitler/nazis except its Monty Python.

mraynrand
05-14-2016, 10:22 PM
Virtually every thread more than three pages on this board results in an MP allusion. It's like that rule of the internet about hitler/nazis except its Monty Python.

It's only because they produced probably the best humor of all time.

PaCkFan_n_MD
05-14-2016, 10:50 PM
Hope he goes out for season or cut

MadtownPacker
05-15-2016, 12:29 AM
Hope he goes out for season or cutCan we hope you tear your rectum?

Patler
05-15-2016, 06:00 AM
Hope he goes out for season or cut

Why would you hope that?
Why not hope that he returns to the potential he showed as a rookie?

Joemailman
05-15-2016, 06:57 AM
Seems like some people have made Adams a scapegoat for the failures of the offense last year, which were numerous and far ranging.

RashanGary
05-15-2016, 07:44 AM
Can we hope you tear your rectum?

:lol:

pbmax
05-15-2016, 08:02 AM
OK then. Understanding achieved.

Smidgeon
05-15-2016, 11:54 AM
Apparently Adams is the new Jarrett Bush or AJ Hawk.

PaCkFan_n_MD
05-15-2016, 12:05 PM

Sure.

Only proves you don't care what I said and that youre an idiot

PaCkFan_n_MD
05-15-2016, 12:09 PM

Btw I like the use of "we" instead of "I".. Transition: hey everyone who kisses my ass come help make him feel bad. JH have you thinking about rectums?

mraynrand
05-15-2016, 12:19 PM
PaCkFan_n_MD: take it easy. Just let it go and stay on your arguments.

I don't agree about the injury part, but Adams definitely has to show something in camp this year.

Guiness
05-15-2016, 01:25 PM
PaCkFan_n_MD: take it easy. Just let it go and stay on your arguments.

I don't agree about the injury part, but Adams definitely has to show something in camp this year.

mraynrand, the voice of reason. sweet jeebus...

Zool
05-15-2016, 02:59 PM
Btw I like the use of "we" instead of "I".. Transition: hey everyone who kisses my ass come help make him feel bad. JH have you thinking about rectums?

Hey everyone! Look at me! I'm doing a thing!

PaCkFan_n_MD
05-15-2016, 03:05 PM
Hahahhahahahah!! See what he did there, he made a joke. Don't worry he'll still tuck you in at night

Zool
05-15-2016, 03:08 PM
Hahahhahahahah!! See what he did there, he made a joke. Don't worry he'll still tuck you in at night

I thought you tucked 24/7. I had no idea you only went trolling for bears at night.

PaCkFan_n_MD
05-15-2016, 03:12 PM
Try again and keep the helmet on loser for the bus ride home

PaCkFan_n_MD
05-15-2016, 03:58 PM
I just love how at one point this site had a section to basically post porn and another to say racist shit in and that's cool. I say one little thing like - Adams goes out of season (technically never wished a specific injury on him) and its shut your mouth. I'm only proving you have a fine line between what's acceptable and what's not. If "you" as in the "big dogs" find it okay then it's okay. Otherwise it's not. I actually have no problem with Adams and I actually like him. I hope he plays like he did in 2014 when he was actually good. I read all sections of this forum and I laugh sometimes. Was just testing a Theory and I was right. I'm done now carry on.

3irty1
05-15-2016, 05:37 PM
I just love how at one point this site had a section to basically post porn and another to say racist shit in and that's cool. I say one little thing like - Adams goes out of season (technically never wished a specific injury on him) and its shut your mouth. I'm only proving you have a fine line between what's acceptable and what's not. If "you" as in the "big dogs" find it okay then it's okay. Otherwise it's not. I actually have no problem with Adams and I actually like him. I hope he plays like he did in 2014 when he was actually good. I read all sections of this forum and I laugh sometimes. Was just testing a Theory and I was right. I'm done now carry on.

Did I miss where you were threatened with a ban? With your body of work in here you've not even scratched the surface of what's unacceptable.

Also there is still a section for racist porn.

PaCkFan_n_MD
05-15-2016, 05:45 PM
I'm backing off. Went to far with the name calling and it snowballed from there.

pbmax
05-15-2016, 06:06 PM
Is this all because Harv asked a question he should not have?

HarveyWallbangers
05-15-2016, 09:36 PM

You talkin' to me?

Joemailman
05-15-2016, 11:00 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAomAwIwxm8

pbmax
05-16-2016, 08:00 AM
You talkin' to me?

Yep. I think Mad answered your question.

woodbuck27
05-16-2016, 09:08 AM

Harv's a troublemaker.

Note to self ...Don't forget the :-)

run pMc
05-16-2016, 08:19 PM
Seems like some people have made Adams a scapegoat for the failures of the offense last year, which were numerous and far ranging.

Agree with this. He was one of the reasons for sure, and I hope he bounces back. Even if his ceiling is a below average #2 or above average #3 WR, he's still worth keeping. He's young and still developing, and I expect that after last year he'll be anxious to make up for it.
http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/davante-adams?id=2543495

Dirty Sanchez
05-19-2016, 10:10 PM
Agree with this. He was one of the reasons for sure, and I hope he bounces back. Even if his ceiling is a below average #2 or above average #3 WR, he's still worth keeping. He's young and still developing, and I expect that after last year he'll be anxious to make up for it.
http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/davante-adams?id=2543495He needs to shit or get off the pot. Don't need another Robert Ferguson.

pbmax
05-20-2016, 10:40 AM
To point of OP:

Still no.

Fritz
05-23-2016, 05:53 AM
I will declare that anyone who thinks a (healthy and not in legal trouble) Davante Adams will be cut during training camp is out of his or her mind.

He showed flashes during his rookie year that Robert "Turd" Ferguson never did. The fears of Adams being a bust are overblown, I think. He's a young guy, still growing up, who seems to have paid too much attention to the media last year, and was hurt as well. He can, and I think will, recover from both. I look for him to have a very good bounce-back year, as long as he's healthy.

Abbrederis is the guy who's on the fringes. It's he, Janis, and Davis fighting for two spots, I think.

Patler
05-23-2016, 06:08 AM
Abbrederis is the guy who's on the fringes. It's he, Janis, and Davis fighting for two spots, I think.

...or Abbrederis and Davis fighting for one spot. I think Bush II has a spot.

Freak Out
05-23-2016, 11:04 AM
Wow...Dirty Sanchez is posting..who's next, Cleveland Steamer?

Fritz
05-23-2016, 11:09 AM

I would agree. And whoever gets hurt first loses.

Joemailman
05-27-2016, 06:20 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/30357/after-season-he-wasnt-proud-of-green-bay-packers-davante-adams-plans-to-reward-aaron-rodgers-faith

Although he returned for the team’s Nov. 1 game at Denver, he was never 100 percent. He lacked the burst he’d shown as a rookie and struggled to get off the line of scrimmage against press coverage when pushing off on the ankle.

Maybe that's making excuses, but maybe he was hurt more than we knew. It looked at times that he wasn't running his routes very hard last year. Maybe health was a reason. We'll see.

Pugger
05-27-2016, 08:22 AM
I will declare that anyone who thinks a (healthy and not in legal trouble) Davante Adams will be cut during training camp is out of his or her mind.

He showed flashes during his rookie year that Robert "Turd" Ferguson never did. The fears of Adams being a bust are overblown, I think. He's a young guy, still growing up, who seems to have paid too much attention to the media last year, and was hurt as well. He can, and I think will, recover from both. I look for him to have a very good bounce-back year, as long as he's healthy.

I think his ST prowess will assure Janis a roster spot this year just like Jerrett Bush did for all those years.

Pugger
05-27-2016, 08:23 AM

GMTA :-)

Joemailman
12-30-2021, 05:57 PM
There are some comments in here that are pure gold.

King Friday
12-30-2021, 07:25 PM
http://youtu.be/6nSKkwzwdW4

Upnorth
12-30-2021, 07:32 PM
Lol. That was fun. Nice bump.

George Cumby
12-30-2021, 10:00 PM
Holy shit, that was a trip.

smuggler
12-30-2021, 10:32 PM
Pretty happy to have missed out on posting in this one, because I remember being extremely frustrated with Adams and at one point believing he'd be a bust.

Fritz
01-01-2022, 02:34 PM

Look at the wisdom and foresight of this Packerrat. Wow.

I wonder what he thought of Rashan Gary...?

RashanGary
01-01-2022, 02:47 PM
Look at the wisdom and foresight of this Packerrat. Wow.

I wonder what he thought of Rashan Gary...?

I HATED the Clay Matthews pick. Said he wasn’t even good enough to start in college until his senior season and now he’s gonna be a good pro?

King Friday
01-01-2022, 04:24 PM
Tex notably absent from this discussion the second time around.

texaspackerbacker
01-01-2022, 10:03 PM
It was a totally stupid premise the first time around, and it irks me mildly that it was dredged up again. But of course, I'm too nice to complain hahahahaha.

Anti-Polar Bear
01-02-2022, 10:36 AM
That Polar Bear sure as fuck could draft wideouts in the deux round, although he didn’t do his homework one time and drafted a guy with a preexisting neck condition.

I still remember fondly how much Mazzin and Harrell loved Greg Jennings.