PDA

View Full Version : "Just One of Them Fellas That Everybody Liked"

Carolina_Packer
05-14-2016, 06:45 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/just-one-of-them-fellas-that-everybody-liked-b99723216z1-379234071.html

This is an interesting jsonline story about TT's roots in TX. He seems like the same steady Eddie, "aw shucks, just doin' my job, ma'am", type guy that you see now. Understated. I didn't realize that he was a stud fullback, back when that meant the primary ball carrier. I knew that he went to SMU as a linebacker, but this article largely covers his high school days.

I also didn't realize that in his youth he made a bold prediction about his future that came true years later. That was pretty wild.

pbmax
05-14-2016, 08:38 AM
I was going to post this as Ted: The Musical.

But playing it straight was the better choice. If that story by Harp is true, wow, that was a life plan. Kinda like that it could have been the Yankees too.

hoosier
05-14-2016, 10:55 AM
The piece doesn't quite match up with TT's current persona, doesn't manage to explain where his awkwardness in the public eye comes from.

Patler
05-14-2016, 12:54 PM
The piece doesn't quite match up with TT's current persona, doesn't manage to explain where his awkwardness in the public eye comes from.

His father explained it somewhat, didn't he?

pbmax
05-14-2016, 03:02 PM
Jean Pratt, librarian: I only remember the library delinquents. He was not one.

High praise.

pbmax
05-14-2016, 04:45 PM
His father explained it somewhat, didn't he?

Try this theory on for size. Used to be gregarious (OK, at least a little more open) with the press. Got burned.

Wolf gave him what-for about it.

Hasn't said anything remotely interesting since.

What would McGinn and Wilde do about their hero creating their nemesis?

Fritz
05-19-2016, 11:59 AM
Think about what a remarkable career Thompson's had. A lot of us, and he himself, really downplays his athletic ability and his career in the NFL, but the plain truth is that anyone who plays in the NFL for any length at all is a great, great athlete. Think of all the greatest athletes you ever played with in high school and college; how many of them made it to the NFL? It's an elite league and every single player is far, far better than the rest of us. Even the lowliest NFLer is a phenomenol athlete.

So Ted was that, even if by comparison to other NFL players he wasn't so great. He was still an NFL football player. For several years. Then he had the ability and drive to become an NFL scout and eventually an NFL GM.

And he is, conservatively, one of the top five GM's in the league. That's pretty remarkable.

Now if only he'd make a blockbuster trade for an established player, we'd all be happy.

woodbuck27
05-19-2016, 12:30 PM

I was impressed with how he handled himself in the Presser following the Draft.

He was candid/comfortable...very happy with the results of the draft. I likes the way he thanked all those that worked so hard to supply input for the Packer Organizations future from a logistical standpoint.

Patler
05-19-2016, 01:06 PM
Think about what a remarkable career Thompson's had. A lot of us, and he himself, really downplays his athletic ability and his career in the NFL, but the plain truth is that anyone who plays in the NFL for any length at all is a great, great athlete. Think of all the greatest athletes you ever played with in high school and college; how many of them made it to the NFL? It's an elite league and every single player is far, far better than the rest of us. Even the lowliest NFLer is a phenomenol athlete.

So Ted was that, even if by comparison to other NFL players he wasn't so great. He was still an NFL football player. For several years. Then he had the ability and drive to become an NFL scout and eventually an NFL GM..

More than just several years, he had a 10 year career with one team as a special teams standout, reserve linebacker and backup placekicker. How many guys last 10 years in the NFL, let alone 10 with the same team in a reserve role? Bush lasted 9 in GB. Can't think of any others off hand.

Patler
05-19-2016, 01:11 PM
I was impressed with how he handled himself in the Presser following the Draft.

He was candid/comfortable...very happy with the results of the draft. I likes the way he thanked all those that worked so hard to supply input for the Packer Organizations future from a logistical standpoint.

Several years ago, people started saying he seemed more relaxed. Still holds few press conferences and divulges nothing, but cracks jokes, even jabbing at the reporters themselves. Some speculated he was retiring, and it was his last go around. Of course, it wasn't.

pbmax
05-19-2016, 01:42 PM
More than just several years, he had a 10 year career with one team as a special teams standout, reserve linebacker and backup placekicker. How many guys last 10 years in the NFL, let alone 10 with the same team in a reserve role? Bush lasted 9 in GB. Can't think of any others off hand.

Despite not being a starter, it was a remarkable career by all other measures.