PDA

View Full Version : This One Item May Ruin Your Day

pbmax
05-17-2016, 04:31 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/05/17/chris-spielman-moves-to-fox-will-call-nfl-games/

Chris Spielman is probably a nice guy. He tries hard, seems engaged, caring and has worked to improve. He will be broadcasting on Fox, which means he will be on a Packer game.

He is my least favorite color guy in the world. Bland doesn't begin to describe the style. Bland is great if you are telling me something important, Spielman, despite being a former player, rarely is. He occasionally can bring something from his playing days to the broadcast, but its rare.

Platitude after platitude, conventional wisdom on overload but still dumbed down.

He makes Gruden seem anti-authoritarian. He makes Joe Buck seem willing to buck convention.

We should investigate whether or not PackerRat commentary can be broadcast over SAP.

TLDR? This is very bad news. Boo.

MadtownPacker
05-17-2016, 05:39 PM
Buen dia mi amigos gringos, hoy estamos listos para un gran partido, Los Empacadores de Green Bay contra Los Osos de Chicago!!!

Aye Dios mio un gooooaaa.. desculpa, un tachdown!!

mraynrand
05-17-2016, 06:03 PM
this thread is dull

pbmax
05-17-2016, 06:23 PM
this thread is dull

He is getting a lot of praise online. I find it baffling.

He was like the 3rd or 4th wheel for so long at ESPN I thought he would never move up. Stupid perseverance!

gbgary
05-17-2016, 06:32 PM
don't think i've ever heard him.

pbmax
05-17-2016, 06:54 PM
don't think i've ever heard him.

He does a lot of Big Ten football. Before that I think he was on the ACC or Big East. He's never been the lead guy at ESPN, and I don't think he has ever been number 2. Strictly one rung above the regional guys.

hoosier
05-17-2016, 07:39 PM
At least we won't have to listen to Chris Bermann announce in the second MNF game of opening week.

run pMc
05-17-2016, 09:16 PM
I mute the TV, maybe turn the closed captioning on, and listen to Wayne and Larry. Most of the TV guys are just spouting cliches.

King Friday
05-17-2016, 09:25 PM
Spielman was a hell of a football player in a bygone era where games were still won by running the ball. He has very little insight into today's NFL. He also has the IQ of a potato. What little intelligence he had was beat out of his skull as a high school football player, I assume.

Carolina_Packer
05-18-2016, 05:48 AM
If you have ever listened to a radio broadcast while watching a TV broadcast of the same game, I believe that the radio broadcast typically seems to be behind the TV broadcast. If you have the ability to pause live TV, you can do that while watching a game long enough for it to sync with the radio broadcast, so then you can listen to Wayne and Rock and turn down the TV volume.

Deputy Nutz
05-18-2016, 08:10 AM
That's brilliant!

Fritz
05-18-2016, 08:21 AM
That's brilliant!

That is brilliant, and if I lived anywhere that I could get Wayne and Larry on the radio, I'd do that. But it looks like I'm stuck with Chris Spielman, who is a nice guy but a turrible broadcaster. I have as much insight into the game as Spielman seems to have when he's on t.v. He doesn't add color; he barely adds black and white.

Deputy Nutz
05-18-2016, 08:27 AM
You might be able to download the 620 app, or the Packer Broadcasting Network or something and get it over the internet.

pbmax
05-18-2016, 08:44 AM
You can purchase live audio of the game from NFL.com. It might be part of their Game Pass deal now, but its available.

pbmax
05-18-2016, 08:47 AM
If you have ever listened to a radio broadcast while watching a TV broadcast of the same game, I believe that the radio broadcast typically seems to be behind the TV broadcast. If you have the ability to pause live TV, you can do that while watching a game long enough for it to sync with the radio broadcast, so then you can listen to Wayne and Rock and turn down the TV volume.

When I cut the cord, this wasn't an option. Local radio puts the FM broadcast on a delay on their own which makes it slightly better but not perfect.

Thank you for reminding me of this.

On the other hand, watching Badger basketball on muted ESPN with the radio, and know a three is good right as it leaves a Badger hand, is kinda fun.

Patler
05-18-2016, 09:15 AM
Has it been announced that Spielman will be a game analyst as opposed to a studio analyst? Everything I have read just says "NFL analyst" which could mean either. Michael Strahan will be working full time on ABC doing Good Morning America, perhaps he can't also do the NFL on Fox?

pbmax
05-18-2016, 09:22 AM
Has it been announced that Spielman will be a game analyst as opposed to a studio analyst? Everything I have read just says "NFL analyst" which could mean either. Michael Strahan will be working full time on ABC doing Good Morning America, perhaps he can't also do the NFL on Fox?

Its possible. But his previous work has been in the booth. Not sure if he has done studio before.

The PFT story referenced the Fox news release:

The FOX news release said Spielman will work as an NFL game analyst and contribute to the network’s college football coverage.

Patler
05-18-2016, 09:42 AM
That clearly says "game analyst", crushing any lost hope we might have had.

mraynrand
05-18-2016, 11:55 AM
I find that the coverage and analysis of the broadcasters isn't as much an issue as before. Typically, I provide lots of color commentary to most games and my family is trying to press the mute button on me.

Rastak
05-18-2016, 07:28 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/05/17/chris-spielman-moves-to-fox-will-call-nfl-games/

Chris Spielman is probably a nice guy. He tries hard, seems engaged, caring and has worked to improve. He will be broadcasting on Fox, which means he will be on a Packer game.

He is my least favorite color guy in the world. Bland doesn't begin to describe the style. Bland is great if you are telling me something important, Spielman, despite being a former player, rarely is. He occasionally can bring something from his playing days to the broadcast, but its rare.

Platitude after platitude, conventional wisdom on overload but still dumbed down.

He makes Gruden seem anti-authoritarian. He makes Joe Buck seem willing to buck convention.

We should investigate whether or not PackerRat commentary can be broadcast over SAP.

His brother Rick is a damn fine guy.

pbmax
05-18-2016, 07:56 PM
His brother Rick is a damn fine guy.

Maybe he can broadcast too?

Rastak
05-18-2016, 08:01 PM
Maybe he can broadcast too?

He'd feed you bullshit the whole game.....actually that might be same as having Deion Sanders back in the booth.

woodbuck27
05-19-2016, 12:33 PM
Buen dia mi amigos gringos, hoy estamos listos para un gran partido, Los Empacadores de Green Bay contra Los Osos de Chicago!!!

Aye Dios mio un gooooaaa.. desculpa, un tachdown!!

That wasn't good.

woodbuck27
05-19-2016, 12:36 PM

He was a solid football player.

Should he have gone more into hunting/fishing?