PDA

View Full Version : Is Green Bay one of the NFL's drug dens?

Patler
05-26-2016, 09:43 AM
Suspended in recent seasons for drug-related events:

Johnny Jolly
Mike Neal
Allan Barbre (one season after leaving GB)
Datone Jones
Jarrett Bush
Letroy Guion
Mike Pennel
Demetri Goodson

Now the HGH investigations of Matthews, Peppers and Neal.

If this was another team, like the Bengals, we would laugh at them. If it was the Vikings, we would ridicule them. But, its "our" Packers.

How should we respond?

Cheesehead Craig
05-26-2016, 10:33 AM
I don't know about you, but I'm getting high.

Joemailman
05-26-2016, 11:36 AM

Johnny Jolly
Mike Neal
Datone Jones
Jarrett Bush
Letroy Guion
Mike Pennel
Demetri Goodson

If this was another team, like the Bengals, we would laugh at them. If it was the Vikings, we would ridicule them. But, its "our" Packers.

How should we respond?

I don't know if there's enough of a pattern here to say there's a big problem. Barbre and Bush were suspended after they were no longer Packers, so I don't know that those can be pinned on the Packers at all. Guion and Jones were suspended after being caught by police. That might be bad luck. It is true the Packers haven't taken a stand against players suspended for drug use. Jolly, Neal, Jones and Guion have all been welcomed back after suspensions. I have no idea if that makes them different than other teams, but perhaps they need to look at how they deal with players who have been suspended.

Too early to judge the situation with Peppers and Matthews. Neal appears to have been shunned by the entire league for now.

pbmax
05-26-2016, 12:59 PM
^ They have taken a stand against players at the end of the roster who have been caught.

I'd split them into PED versus non PED. What were Goodson and Barbre busted for?

Joemailman
05-26-2016, 01:09 PM
^ They have taken a stand against players at the end of the roster who have been caught.

I'd split them into PED versus non PED. What were Goodson and Barbre busted for?

Goodson and Barbre were PED's.

pbmax
05-26-2016, 01:20 PM
3 recreational versus 5 PED. Its good the locker room is balanced.

Wonder what other team's lists look like?

Patler
05-26-2016, 01:35 PM
Barbre and Bush were suspended after they were no longer Packers, so I don't know that those can be pinned on the Packers at all.

Too early to judge the situation with Peppers and Matthews. Neal appears to have been shunned by the entire league for now.

Bush was suspended just a few months after the season. I suspect it was based on a test while he was still on the team. Some suspensions have come a year or more after the first failed test with the procedural delays and automatic reviews before anything becomes public. For that reason, Barbre's suspension could indicate nefarious acts while still a Packer. Not certain, though. Then, too with Barbre, I would question how soon from first use he actually failed a test.

I agree it is too soon for any conclusions on the HGH investigations.

George Cumby
05-26-2016, 02:40 PM
My impression is the Packers are no more or less dirty than the rest of the league.

Fritz
05-26-2016, 02:53 PM

Johnny Jolly
Mike Neal
Datone Jones
Jarrett Bush
Letroy Guion
Mike Pennel
Demetri Goodson

How should we respond?

We should respond by acknowledging that we are sure that if there are eight Packers on such a list, then there are obviously three times that many on other teams, and that it's abundantly clear that every single player on the rosters of the Bears, Vikings, Seahawks, and Patriots is surely a severe drug addict, and probably a rapist, too.

That's how I say we should respond.

Joemailman
05-26-2016, 04:09 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/380744451.html

Though he declined to offer specifics about what triggered the failed test, Goodson said he did not take anything on purpose. He also said the banned substance was nothing designed to give him a competitive advantage.

“I was shocked,” Goodson said. “But after asking people and stuff like this, this type of stuff happens a lot. You’ve just got to be careful of what you take and all that stuff. But like I said, it wasn’t anything that could help me on the field or anything like that.”

“Anything that happens usually in my life, anything that’s a speed bump, I don’t want to say it stunts my growth, but it’s a setback,” Pennel said. “So now I just try to put my best foot forward and be a better person and be a better player for the Green Bay Packers.”

When asked what he learned from the situation, Pennel was blunt: “Follow the rules.”

denverYooper
05-26-2016, 04:23 PM
Now Pennel is snorting speed and smoking blunts?

esoxx
05-26-2016, 04:26 PM
Packers People = Myth

Guiness
05-26-2016, 05:37 PM
Bush's suspension was a strange one. He was an FA at the time, and had just spent the night in the drunk tank after never (that I can recall) getting in trouble during his career with the Packers. Then a 4 game suspension for PEDs was followed up with a 10 game suspension for a second drug related offense that was never specified.

Was his career over, he knew it and didn't care anymore?

Rastak
05-26-2016, 06:35 PM
I don't know if there's enough of a pattern here to say there's a big problem. Barbre and Bush were suspended after they were no longer Packers, so I don't know that those can be pinned on the Packers at all. Guion and Jones were suspended after being caught by police. That might be bad luck. It is true the Packers haven't taken a stand against players suspended for drug use. Jolly, Neal, Jones and Guion have all been welcomed back after suspensions. I have no idea if that makes them different than other teams, but perhaps they need to look at how they deal with players who have been suspended.

Does Surly Furious count?

Joemailman
05-26-2016, 06:37 PM
Bush's suspension was a strange one. He was an FA at the time, and had just spent the night in the drunk tank after never (that I can recall) getting in trouble during his career with the Packers. Then a 4 game suspension for PEDs was followed up with a 10 game suspension for a second drug related offense that was never specified.

Was his career over, he knew it and didn't care anymore?

After the 2014 season when he became a FA, he has sports hernia surgery. I've always suspected he got on PED's to recover faster from the surgery so that some team would want to sign him. The 10 game suspension is a mystery though.

Rastak
05-26-2016, 06:41 PM
We should respond by acknowledging that we are sure that if there are eight Packers on such a list, then there are obviously three times that many on other teams, and that it's abundantly clear that every single player on the rosters of the Bears, Vikings, Seahawks, and Patriots is surely a severe drug addict, and probably a rapist, too.

That's how I say we should respond.

True, like Sharper....wait, we got him from you!

Patler
05-26-2016, 07:08 PM
True, like Sharper....wait, we got him from you!

The Love Boat corrupted him.

Rastak
05-26-2016, 07:16 PM

That's a theory worth exploring!

Willard
05-26-2016, 08:53 PM
Was anybody else alarmed reading the quote from Tony Horton saying he gave "supplements" to Eddie Lacy when they were working out together? The alarm rang loud and clear and I felt a a sense of dread that this celebrity trainer with no previous experience with NFL players just screwed up Eddie's next piss test.

pbmax
05-26-2016, 09:53 PM
Was anybody else alarmed reading the quote from Tony Horton saying he gave "supplements" to Eddie Lacy when they were working out together? The alarm rang loud and clear and I felt a a sense of dread that this celebrity trainer with no previous experience with NFL players just screwed up Eddie's next piss test.

Yes. Though there is an approved list. So it should NOT be hard to parse that down.

If you avoid over the counter crap that promises the moon, it can probably be done safely by non-NFL trainers.

But I'd be lying if I said that fear hadn't crossed my mind.

Cheesehead Craig
05-26-2016, 10:24 PM

He sells his own brand of supplements through his program. Been doing it for years. I'd be shocked if a fitness personality wasn't selling them.

Fritz
05-27-2016, 09:03 AM

The save from Patler!!!

Guiness
05-27-2016, 09:12 AM
Yes. Though there is an approved list. So it should NOT be hard to parse that down.

If you avoid over the counter crap that promises the moon, it can probably be done safely by non-NFL trainers.

But I'd be lying if I said that fear hadn't crossed my mind.

I wonder how much a company pays to have their product on the approved list? Does the NFL still have the Supplement Hotline? Sure hope Horton doesn't endorse StarCaps.

ThunderDan
05-27-2016, 10:11 AM
I wonder how much a company pays to have their product on the approved list? Does the NFL still have the Supplement Hotline? Sure hope Horton doesn't endorse StarCaps.

Yes, the NFL has a list of approved supplements.

I remember when Ras and I were going back and forth during the Starcaps debate, I found a list published by the NFL.

Guiness
05-27-2016, 11:16 AM
Yes, the NFL has a list of approved supplements.

I remember when Ras and I were going back and forth during the Starcaps debate, I found a list published by the NFL.

The StarCaps thing was wacky. IIRC, it was ok and players had been taking it to make weight for a while. Formula got changed, but the new ingredient did not appear on the label. NFL knew about this, but didn't send out a warning. It then proceeded to collect a list of players who were using it (Deuce McAllister was one) and suspend them all! Cool sting operation guys!

Patler
05-27-2016, 12:29 PM
The StarCaps thing was wacky. IIRC, it was ok and players had been taking it to make weight for a while. Formula got changed, but the new ingredient did not appear on the label. NFL knew about this, but didn't send out a warning. It then proceeded to collect a list of players who were using it (Deuce McAllister was one) and suspend them all! Cool sting operation guys!

Goofy deal, for sure.