PDA

View Full Version : A Gameplan For The Bears

The Shadow
09-04-2006, 11:22 AM
After watching both teams throughout the preseason, these are my humble observations on the best way to approach the season opener :

Offense : Our running game is a true work in progress on the interior & 1 & 2 yard runs will only lead to 2nd & longs & 3rd & longs, which invite turnovers.
I would go with a very unorthodox approach.
I would have the Packers TRULY using the pass to set up the run, and basically abandon the run through the first quarter in lieu of slants, quick outs, and screens. I would keep at least one back in at all times to protect Favre in the middle (I think Clifton & Tausch can handle the Bears ends very well - plus Alex Brown is hurting). The Bears will focus blitzes through the interior of our line, so even steady max-protection might be in order.
In effect, I would pit Driver, Jennings, Franks, Ferguson, & Green against the Bears secondary. Giving Favre a little time to throw, for me, represents our best chance to win the game.
Only once the Bear linebackers were at least a bit tentative about charging the gaps in run defense, would I start mixing in the run.
Slants, screens, & shallow crossing patterns - with 3 step drops to nullify the pass rush - would be the steady diet I would feed the Bears defense.
They are used to stopping the run on first down and then pinning their ears back, so why not avoid playing into their hands?
The Bear secondary is not nearly as good as the front seven, so let's attack there. Mike Brown has lost even more than a step - more than he can afford. The corners can be beaten (anyone remember the Carolina game?

Defense : I would jam the Bears receivers hard at the line. I wouldn't be so concerned about blitzes, and when I did, I would bring a cornerback, to keep Grossman anxious.
I would be more concerned with stopping the run & making Grossman have to beat us. In that setup, I like our chances a lot! Our linebackers should patiently troll the short/medium areas & wait for Grossman's inevitable mistakes.
The Bears never have adapted well to anything out of the ordinary. They simply don't seem, under Lovie, to adjust to things they are not expecting.

Go Packers!

gbpackfan
09-04-2006, 11:32 AM
I do like the idea of giving Favre max protection a lot. Double TE sets and keeping a RB back there will help. If Favre gets some time, DD will get open. But we can't abandon the running game, we have to run the ball in order to set up the pass. It is that simple. I can't wait until Sunday!!!

Packnut
09-04-2006, 11:37 AM
Best shot at keeping the Bear offense in check is to roll coverage to where-ever MM lines up. On running situations bring a saftey into the box. You must make the Bears beat you with their #2 Wr and TE. The bears like to go with max protection a lot so blitzing is not effective and we suck at it anyway.

I agree with your plan on offense. We need to face the reality that if Favre takes 5 or 7 step drops, the Bears D will kill him. They are an aggresive defense so it is imperative we load up the playbook with screens, especially some WR screens. It's impossible to run at the middle cause that's the Bears strength so we must be able to get outside. In the end turnovers will decide this one. We can't fumble and Brett need's to be especially carefull. One last thing, with the home crowd we must win the 1st quarter.

ahaha
09-04-2006, 11:46 AM
I like it. It seemed like Holgrem loved this approach, although he didn't completely ignore the run game.

Willard
09-04-2006, 12:00 PM
One slight mod to the emerging plan:

Homerun pass on 1st play from scrimmage to get into the heads of the bears secondary. After that, the West Coast short pass attack. Passes to Green, Franks, and short crossing slants to DD. If this works Green and Franks will have the most catches, and hopefully DD and Jennings will have some long catches and end up with a lot of yards. Get the lead early then lets see what Green has left in the tank. Most importantly: No turnovers or dropped passes.

Defense: Stop the run first. Jones ran for 200 yds last year (well over 4 yd avg). WIth Benson & Peterson they have a formidable running game. Lets put the ball in Grossman's hands. He will take chances (just like our guy), and the Pack MUST take advantage of his mistakes and take the ball away! Pack's LBs must also watch the TEs on 3rd down or we will get beat in the middle.

Deciding Stat: Turnover margin. The Pack shredded the bears' heralded D last year. Unfortunately the Pack gave up the rock way too much to win either game. Win the turnover battle, and this game is ours!!

RashanGary
09-04-2006, 12:02 PM
We're not going to beat the Bears. I just hope Favre comes out alive.

Packnut
09-04-2006, 12:09 PM

I would agree that the odds are stacked against us. Most likely, our O line will get dominated but there's always that 1 in a million chance for an upset.

OS PA
09-04-2006, 12:10 PM
Dream

We'll win the turn over margin because Woodson will have 3 picks in the game to start off his record breaking year of 22 interceptions and 6 touchdowns.

Reality
We'll watch Grossman torch Woodson for both of the Bears touchdowns.

Defenses will win this game, just how the Bears like it. Hopefully we can prove that our boys can tackle.

Ballboy
09-04-2006, 12:17 PM
I like the pass first idea.....I don't think we need max protect if Brett can get the ball out fast....3-5 step drops. I think we go single back, one TE and three WR to spread the field. Change up keeping RB and TE in on differ plays as an extra blocker.

On D, I really think Harris and Woodson can handle the Bears WR one on one. Don't get me wrong, Mushin has talent, but Grossman has been a mess this preseason and not precise at all. Keep 8 in the box and stuff the run.

ahaha
09-04-2006, 12:26 PM

I would agree that the odds are stacked against us. Most likely, our O line will get dominated but there's always that 1 in a million chance for an upset.

C'mon, these aren't the Bears of the late 80's. If Forrest Gregg's team, with Randy Write at quarterback, could almost win, then I think it's reasonable to think a Brett Favre team, playing at home, has a legitimate chance.

Willard
09-04-2006, 12:35 PM

C'mon, these aren't the Bears of the late 80's. If Forrest Gregg's team, with Randy Write at quarterback, could almost win, then I think it's reasonable to think a Brett Favre team, playing at home, has a legitimate chance.

Hear, hear.......

Bretsky
09-04-2006, 12:50 PM
We're not running on the Bears. So a lot of quck hitting slants on first down followed by occasional runs on second down. A couple home run bombs in between. And stress to Favre to throw the ball away if it's not there. Low scoring game with no turnovers.

Green Bay 13
Chicago 9

OMG I'm drinking the Kook Aide today. Must be still on a high after FC wished my grailistic fantasies come true.

B

OKC PackerFan
09-04-2006, 12:56 PM
One slight mod to the emerging plan:

Homerun pass on 1st play from scrimmage to get into the heads of the bears secondary. After that, the West Coast short pass attack. Passes to Green, Franks, and short crossing slants to DD. If this works Green and Franks will have the most catches, and hopefully DD and Jennings will have some long catches and end up with a lot of yards. Get the lead early then lets see what Green has left in the tank. Most importantly: No turnovers or dropped passes.

Defense: Stop the run first. Jones ran for 200 yds last year (well over 4 yd avg). WIth Benson & Peterson they have a formidable running game. Lets put the ball in Grossman's hands. He will take chances (just like our guy), and the Pack MUST take advantage of his mistakes and take the ball away! Pack's LBs must also watch the TEs on 3rd down or we will get beat in the middle.

Deciding Stat: Turnover margin. The Pack shredded the bears' heralded D last year. Unfortunately the Pack gave up the rock way too much to win either game. Win the turnover battle, and this game is ours!!

Exactly, win the turnover battle, we win the game. Also A. Green is in the backfield with Favre for the blitz pickup on 3rd downs. I think Favre will have a little more confidence knowing AG is there on blitz pickups and can catch the ball on HB options and screens.

Tarlam!
09-04-2006, 01:28 PM
What a fantastic thread, but I have so many questions!

What is roll coverage?

Why should we play two TE's and not keep one of two HB's back?

I am such a sports idiot!!! Please drip feed me this stuff guys!!!

packrulz
09-04-2006, 01:39 PM
They have 4 TE's so I like the sound of 2 TE sets, throw to the TE's & FB's more, and use a lot off roll out plays. I sure don't want to see Brett take a beating like last year. If Jones tries to run the ball like last year I'd love to see Hodge lay the wood to him.

packrulz
09-04-2006, 01:52 PM
What a fantastic thread, but I have so many questions!

What is roll coverage?

Why should we play two TE's and not keep one of two HB's back?

I am such a sports idiot!!! Please drip feed me this stuff guys!!!

Roll coverage just means to move a TE or FB to one side or the other to block an individual pass rusher.
You have 11 guys on offense so teams will take out an HB and put in a TE instead. The advantage is they are bigger guys who can pass block & go out for a pass as well. If so which one? And does the defense use a LB or DB to cover him? The DB might be too small but most TE's should be able to outrun a LB too. It just makes things complicated for the defense and gives the offense more options.

Tarlam!
09-04-2006, 01:54 PM
Thx Rulz.

BananaMan
09-04-2006, 02:00 PM
Actually, by "roll coverage" I believe they were referring to shading the coverage towards the Bears' #1 WR when we were on defense.

For example, have one safety take the side MM is on, and the other safety play the middle of the field plus the other side. The thought being that one safety can effectively cover the other Bears' wideouts while the #1 WR is being shut down. Teams did this a lot against Driver last year.

Tarlam!
09-04-2006, 02:04 PM
Teams did this a lot against Driver last year.

And yet, he put those numbers up! :mrgreen:

Packnut
09-04-2006, 02:06 PM
Actually, by "roll coverage" I believe they were referring to shading the coverage towards the Bears' #1 WR when we were on defense.

For example, have one safety take the side MM is on, and the other safety play the middle of the field plus the other side. The thought being that one safety can effectively cover the other Bears' wideouts while the #1 WR is being shut down. Teams did this a lot against Driver last year.

Yep, that's exactly what I meant.

packrulz
09-04-2006, 02:08 PM

I see, that sounds better.

b bulldog
09-04-2006, 03:44 PM
Real simple, no turnovers and the Pack will have a great chance to win. I'd run 70% of the time.

Joemailman
09-04-2006, 04:03 PM
Real simple, no turnovers and the Pack will have a great chance to win. I'd run 70% of the time.

That's a great strategy provided you can run the ball reasonably effectively. However, if you run that much and the Bears stuff it, you will end up with a lot of 3-and-outs which will wear out the Packer defense. I think the Pass/run ratio will be more even, with the Tight Ends getting a lot of action.

b bulldog
09-04-2006, 04:05 PM
I would keep the ball out of Brett's hands as much as posdsible. They will hit him early and will get him ansey and the pics will start a flowin. Run,run,run,run and dink and dunk!

The Shadow
09-04-2006, 04:20 PM
No, no, I think those 1 & 2 yard running gains will only lead to the 2nd & 3rd long situations that put Favre into the dreaded "I have to make it happen" mindset.
Let's live & die with our future Hall of Fame quarterback's arm - throttled down into manageable down & distance patterns - against a defense handicapped by having their 2 staple strong points - run-stuffing & blitzing -stymied.
The Bears have trouble adjusting when they can't play 'their' defense against expected opposition, so let's throw the unorthodox against them.
Really now, boys, what do we have to lose?
Luck favors the bold!

b bulldog
09-04-2006, 04:24 PM
Obviously you missed last seasons bear games. The bears win by turnovers and defensive TD's.

The Shadow
09-04-2006, 04:31 PM
"...The bears win by turnovers and defensive TD's."

And the turnovers come when Favre is in 2nd.3rd long situations.
Ditto the defensive td's.

CyclonePackFan
09-04-2006, 04:39 PM
Thoughts:

Agree with Shadow. This needs to be a passing game. First play needs to be Jennings or Driver on a deep fade route. Bulldog, you bring up a great point about the Bears thriving off turnovers, but are we really better off running? One year out of the NFL and every Packer fan forgets that Ahman Green has an epic reputation for being *gasp* a fumbler. I know Lovie hasn't forgotten, and he's going to be sending helmets after Green's left arm all game long.

Offensively, we need to strike early and hard. Slants, screens, quick outs, bubble screens, draws, and lots of checking down to the RB in the flat. If we find ourselves in a 2nd and less-than-three scenario, the ball needs to be going deep down the sidelines. I don't know for sure if he's gonna play, but I would really like to see Henderson with double-digit receptions in this game. I wouldn't even put a receiver in the middle of the field for the first couple of drives, save perhaps a TE on a short curl route occasionally. Grind it out with short passes in the flats, suck the safeties up on support, then go for the deep post. Start working in the run when practical, start with outside runs and off-tackle, then pound it up the gut when the D starts to spread out.

Defensively, make them work for it. The Bears thrive off exactly what I just described, the short passing game. Jam the receivers, and roll the safety to Mushin as much as possible. Blitz hard, Grossman's still inexperienced due to injuries. Hit him early with blitzes to make Grossman anxious, then wait for him to make the mistake. If we can get a lead early, he's going to force the ball where he shouldn't, just like Favre does. This isn't a team with big-play capability. They're not going to rack up many points, so there can't be many gimmes, long passes, short-field opportunities, and the like.

Win the turnover battle and we will win this game.

No Mo Moss
09-04-2006, 04:40 PM
Well I see what you're saying about coming out passing, but its not going to happen. A lot depends on how the game begins. If I'm the Bears I'm thinking get a lead and then take advantage of mistakes by the other team trying to come back.. I would imagine they go deep a few times early to the home run guy they have...Berrian is that it. If they can get a couple long completions that will open up our run defense which has been stout.

The key IMO is to get the Bears offense off of the field. We must stop them on 3rd down. We will also need to play the field position game. You have to believe that 14 pts will win this one. If we get backed up inside the ten on a possesion I say you run it 3 straight times. We must sack Grossman atleast twice to win. He has been far too comfortable at LAmbeau in the past. I'd say avoid the blitz however. They will have seen film on what works against our blitz. The TE quick slant has been tearing us up on blitzes. The DL need to get their hands in the air and knock down balls when we do blitz.

I think we need two sacks and a INT to win, which I think we can easily do. Harris will be roaming with MM whereever he goes so they will likely match up Berrian on Woodson, who needs to shake the rust off in a hurry because that is where the ball is going!

WE MUST NOT ALLOW THE BEARS A DEFENSIVE TD OR A SIGNIFICANT RUN AFTER PICK. They have a good Defense and may earn a pick, but the play need to stop right there. The INT for TD is what has killed us in the past.

Bears 10
Packers 14

Pack takes the lead for good at the end of the 3rd quarter.
Nail bitter though.

b bulldog
09-04-2006, 04:45 PM
If I'm the bears I put 8 men in the box and make Brett beat me. brett will give you chances to get turnovers or defensive TD's. I pressure him and make him become patient, I don't think he likes being patient and will force the ball and eventually hurt the offense which will in turn kill the defense.

BEARMAN
09-04-2006, 05:00 PM
I think the key to this game is gonna be your "O" line. "IF" they can hold back DA BEARS all out blitz, and protect farve a little, you may have a chance to keep it close. However, watching preseason play, your "O" line dosn't look up to the task. "IF" DA BEARS put presure on Farve, he will throw INT's. "IF" your "O" line is dominated as I think it will be, there is a good chance Farve is put out the game, either hurt or replaced.
Now, "IF" Rex, MM and Jones have a good day, which they may very well have, your young, under sized and slow "D" will have alot on their plate ! Do not forget Special teams, your kicker kicks toooo far, over streaching your coverage witch allows for big returns.

BEARS - 24

Packers - 9

GO BEARS !

BananaMan
09-04-2006, 05:10 PM
under sized and slow "D"

where are we undersized?

not to mention slow. where are we slow?

you bear trolls make me laugh. have an intelligent discussion for once, not just "DA BEARS will DOMINATE your O-line!!!!11!111one!"

b bulldog
09-04-2006, 05:18 PM
Not sticking up for him but that is a HUUUUGE KEY!

Willard
09-04-2006, 05:40 PM
Not sticking up for him but that is a HUUUUGE KEY!

What is a huge key? Please explain?

BEARMAN
09-04-2006, 05:58 PM
"young" as in Rookies.

"undersized" as in your DL and LB's are on the smallish side.

"slow" as in can not cover very well.

Anything else you want me to explain to you about your packers?

GO BEARS !

Willard
09-04-2006, 06:11 PM
Bear,

I'm pretty sure I know where you are coming from and frankly don't expect to gain any insight in your posts. My question was addressed to Bulldog, but thanks for checking in again.

BananaMan
09-04-2006, 06:13 PM
I won't argue about youth. And who's to say that youth is a bad thing? Just stupid.

SLB Brady Poppinga: 6'3" 245
MLB Nick Barnett: 6'2" 232
WLB A.J. Hawk: 6'1" 246

DE: Aaron Kampman 6'4" 278
DT: Ryan Pickett 6'2" 322
DT: Kenderick Allen 6'5" 328
DE: KGB 6'4" 250

Undersized? Right.

Oh, and we can't cover...?

Steve Smith vs. Packers: 2 catches, 12 yards.
Steve Smith vs. Bears: 14 catches, 169 yards.
Steve Smith vs. Bears in playoffs: 12 catches, 218 yards.

Ouch.

Willard
09-04-2006, 06:29 PM
"undersized" as in your DL and LB's are on the smallish side.

I don't agree with your assertion that the bigger the team the better, but in the interest of interjecting some facts into your hyperbole I looked at the starting front 7 of both teams (thanks BananaMan for the Pack info listed above).

The average weight of our LBs is 241# compared to 245# for the bears.
The average weight of our DL is 295# compared to 281# for the bears.

And this is meaningful how?

b bulldog
09-04-2006, 06:51 PM
tHE HUGE KEY IS HOW OUR YOUNG, INEXPERIENCED oLINE PLAYS.

RashanGary
09-04-2006, 06:54 PM

I agree. I think the line will blow it and Favre will get pounded. I don't think the Packers have a chance and the primary reason is the inability to run w/ the line and the inability to pass because of the line.

Bears win by at least 10.

Joemailman
09-04-2006, 07:02 PM

If that's the case, and I think it is, the worst thing you can do is be predictable and one-dimensional. If the Packers are to win this game, they will need to get decent yardage on 1st down. That means passing a good deal of the time.

The Shadow
09-04-2006, 08:05 PM
So an unorthodox approach -again - is the way to go, at least in my opinion.

b bulldog
09-04-2006, 08:23 PM
I would agree but I think that this will make Brett make the wise decisions and I'm not sure he can do that most of the time. Just my opinion!

potsdam_11
09-04-2006, 08:23 PM
I'm on board with the pass first philosophy.

Bulldog.. Run 70% of the time; while acknowledging the Packers weakness is an inexperienced O-line... ummm, logic please..?? You post some interesting takes at times, this is not one of them..

The Packers have their work cut out for sure, Lovie has a great track record against Favre. The worst thing we can do is gift wrap the game by playing to their strengths.

My only hesitation with the Pass first philosophy is timing.. a lot of inexperience on this team, timing will be the issue. Favre cut his teeth on the West Coast Offense.. It will be interesting to see if the old master, can remember his roots....

Like it or not, this game is on Favre, Driver, and Franks.. the three of them need to put on a West Coast Clinic.....If they can do their jobs, Jennings, and Green will profit.

The Bears offense is straight forward, nothing real scary.... don't make dumb mistakes on Defense, and we stay in the game..

Packnut
09-04-2006, 08:29 PM
I would agree but I think that this will make Brett make the wise decisions and I'm not sure he can do that most of the time. Just my opinion!

How many freakin posts are you gonna make and take the same shots at Favre? You say the same shit over and over. Don't you ever tire of it? Can you say anything new or is that all your brain can handle? We all get the idea what your opinion is by now. Being ignorant does'nt make repetetive posts funny................

RIPackerFan
09-04-2006, 08:34 PM
Here's a thought - but kind of cheap.

What about running first three downs, but purposefully chop block every down - going after the d-players that give us the fits?

Chop blocks make the d uneasy and slows them down for a split second (because they, for that second, are looking for the chop block). Once it gets in their heads that the o-line is going for their knees - it may cause them a second in getting to the QB, which may give Favre a little more time.

We probably won't get the first down that series, but just like the long bomb to throw the d-backs off - this basically does the same thing but with the d-line and linebackers.

potsdam_11
09-04-2006, 08:39 PM
Here's a thought - but kind of cheap.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

If it's legal.... it ain't cheap...

b bulldog
09-04-2006, 08:40 PM
Potsdam, obviously some like you don't see the obvious although once Sunday comes and Brett makes the crucial int, you'll be first in line to blame the line.

The Shadow
09-04-2006, 08:57 PM
Really now, friends :
Wouldn't the worst thing - the most frustrating thing - be for the Packers to come out getting one yard gains, putting themselves in long situations and either
a. giving up interceptions (or getting repeatedly sacked) trying to convert, or
b. punting away field position & letting the Bears constantly have a short field and getting ground down?
No guts, no glory.
The innovative, bold approach is what I'd favor.
Let's give ourselves the best chance.

potsdam_11
09-04-2006, 09:39 PM
Potsdam, obviously some like you don't see the obvious although once Sunday comes and Brett makes the crucial int, you'll be first in line to blame the line.

First in line my ass, Sunshine.

What part of "Inexperienced line".. doesn't sink into that leg-humping brain of yours? Did you even read the post, or do you just go into a blind salivating rampage when someone disagrees with you ??

a.) You... not I, stated that the Packer's must run 70% of the time...

b.) You... not I, stated that the key to the game is how the inexperienced line performs..

c.) I'm still waiting to hear "Your" logic...

So far this year, the line hasn't run-blocked well, nor pass blocked well.... So the play of the O-line in this game is a given... Bad to Below Average.... not because they have no talent, but because they are young, inexperienced and haven't played a "real" game yet...

Lovie will throw the kitchen sink at them....

It's a given that this O-line will neither win nor lose this game...

As for Favre.... he might implode,and throw 63 picks in the first 8 plays... or, he might actually pick apart the Bears.. . That's the remarkable thing about our HOF'er.... you just never know who will show up, now do you? Thus my comment stating, quite clearly , that this game is on the veterans...

Favre, Driver, and Franks....

Clear enough for you ???

"Obviously... obvious.".... That's truly funny... :lol:

The Shadow
09-04-2006, 10:21 PM
Jennings could be a huge factor in this game.
The Bears will be overly concerned with Driver & will probably place Jennings under single coverage.
I think he could have quite an impact if the Packers see it that way, too.

RashanGary
09-04-2006, 10:29 PM
Jennings could be a huge factor in this game.
The Bears will be overly concerned with Driver & will probably place Jennings under single coverage.
I think he could have quite an impact if the Packers see it that way, too.

Who knows? The Shadow knows.

BEARMAN
09-04-2006, 10:52 PM
Chop blocking if done incorrectly(you have a rookie "O" line) can backfire and get Farve killed ! Wouldn't you think DA BEARS have considered the last resort of chop blocking and have a plan to counter it... LOL

GO BEARS !

BananaMan
09-04-2006, 11:03 PM
Mr. BEARMAN,

Since you have decided to ignore my counter to your "undersized and slow" claim, I'd appreciate it if you'd stop making dumb posts.

I guess you just didn't learn your lesson when you got shot down before with a thing called "facts".

BEARMAN
09-04-2006, 11:37 PM
BM, I call them as I see them, your team looked pathetic in preseason, and with what 13 rookies, your chance of a winning season is something like almost zilch !You are playing atleast 13 rookies, that's "young". Your LB's and DL are playing like they are "smallish". You DBs got burnt alot in preseason, along with not making very many sacks, looks to me like they are slow . So, young, smallish and slow fits IMO . You don't like that.... SO ?

GO BEARS !

PaCkFan_n_MD
09-04-2006, 11:55 PM
BM, I call them as I see them, your team looked pathetic in preseason, and with what 13 rookies, your chance of a winning season is something like almost zilch !You are playing atleast 13 rookies, that's "young". Your LB's and DL are playing like they are "smallish". You DBs got burnt alot in preseason, along with not making very many sacks, looks to me like they are slow . So, young, smallish and slow fits IMO . You don't like that.... SO ?

GO BEARS !

Green gets 150 yards on the ground with 3 TD's. Packers win, and bears look like crap.

Kiwon
09-05-2006, 03:43 AM
One good thing about the Bears game is that it is the Bears. If there is a team that can screw it up, it is the Bears. The Lions might run a close second.

OS PA
09-05-2006, 04:40 AM

GO BEARS !

In no way are we starting 13 rookies... We have 2 rookie guards, and 3 first year starters.

LT - Clifton - 7 Years
LG - Spitz - Rookie
C - Wells - 3 Years
RG - Moll - Rookie
RT - Tauscher - 7 Years

QB - Favre - 16 Years
RB - Green - 9 Years
FB - Henderson - 12 Years
WR - Driver - 8 years
WR - Jennings - Rookie
WR - Ferguson - 6 Years

LE - Kampmann - 5 Years
DT - Allen - 4 Years
DT - Pickett - 5 Years
RE - KGB - 7 Years

SLB - Hawk - Rookie
MLB - Barnett - 4 Years
WLB - Poppinga - 2 Years

CB - Harris - 9 Years
CB - Woodson - 9 Years
CB - Carrol - 3 Years

S - Manuel - 5 Years
S - Collins - 2 Years

Average # of years played by our offense, with Favre taken out for extremes, is 5 years played.

Average # of years played by our defense is 4 years played.

13 Rookies?

We're only starting 4 rookies. 2 of our other starters are first year starters (Poppinga and Manuel).

I actually like our mix of rookie talent and vetarn savvy.

Would you rather us start all Brett Favre aged players?

Packers4Glory
09-05-2006, 05:30 AM
Offense
The gameplan offensively should be a page out of the Raven book from a few seasons ago.

short quick passes.--having an inexperienced line facing perhaps the best defense in the lg means take the pressure off them by using quick 3 step drop type passes....slants/quick outs/ins. don't give the defense many chances to get to the QB and force throws under duress.

quick hitting runs--yards on the ground will be tough enough. get what you can w/o getting stretched out and having negative yardage plays.

utilize back on swing passes--see above. yards on the ground will be at a premium. counteract that w/ passes to the RB.

Utilize Bubba--get him the ball more. not just in the red zone but all over.

NO TURNOVERS--killed chance at winning last yr.

Limit stupid drive killing penalties that plagued them last yr. this obviously goes for every game. The young guys will make enough mistakes w/o adding stupid ones on top of it.

Defense--
make grossman beat you. Stuff the run and hope woodson looks better than last time.

take advantage of the chances Grossman gives you. like brett, grossman will give the defense a shot at a pick or 2 almost every game. gotta turn that TO ratio around and win that battle.

Special teams

Need to not give up the big return. simple enough. a no duh answer. no shank punts. keep field position. make them sustain long drives to score.

17 and 0. thats the magic number. get 17 points and 0 TO's it should be enough. The bears aren't talented enough offensively to score much if you make them sustain drives the lenght of the field.

BananaMan
09-05-2006, 06:36 AM

You still have yet to back anything up. Your claim of "smallish" is bullshit, it's already been proven wrong. Stop trying to change the wording, it's still bullshit.

mmmdk
09-05-2006, 06:55 AM
All these schemes to the Bears...great! The Packers running game/ZBS hasn't been doing so well in preseason but I still believe Packers should run, run & run to eventually plough the pigskin down into Bear territory. Make no mistakes/turnovers, yup sounds like cliché, but it works. Bears are a better team in week one than the Packers, so Packers must be smart and cut down mistakes to a minimum. The play calling is up to the Packer coaches and I expect MM to call approximately 50/50 run/pass plays. The defense might be up to some tricks but a 3-4 defense with no true NT is insane! I think Packers will dare Grossman to beat them. Please don't turn Grossman into Montana just like Boller last season. :oops:

Terry
09-05-2006, 10:00 AM
One good thing about the Bears game is that it is the Bears. If there is a team that can screw it up, it is the Bears. The Lions might run a close second.

Oh, let's be fair. I don't know if anyone on earth, from one's worst enemy to one's mother-in-law, can screw up a game as well as the Vikings, the Raiders, and Peyton Manning. Not necessarily in that order.

Let's not confuse 'screw-ups' with 'screwing up'.

Dabaddestbear
09-05-2006, 10:10 AM
First of all I must congradulate most of you guys for actually being mostly realistic aside from the final scores you all have posted. Not used to this on a Packers board.

Now to the subject at hand. The Packers can beat the Bears only IF Grossman turns the ball over. Other than that the Bears will be solid in every phase of the game. To point out what a fellow Bear fan said about the Packers being slow on defense, I think he was referring to the fact that the LB's have been terrible in pass coverage in the preseason games and practice.

You all talk about what the Packers must do on offense , but I think it is more on defense. You all assume that since the Bears offense has struggled the Packers just have to play solid O and not turn it over and a win will be dropped in their laps. Not so.

The projected starting LB's Hawk, Poppinga(spelling?), Barnett will be fast no doubt, but their ability to react to playaction and drop back to read the pass will leave Packer fans screaming "What the F%@$!!" :shock:
They all will overrun plays and struggle to get off blocks. No Middle LB in the NFC north misreads what holes to hit more than Barnett, the leader of the group. Hawk will be good in the future but it is clear he is thinking more than playing. He will get it together by midseason but not in time for game one. Poppinga is very aggresive and can easily get caught out of position on a play fake. And the possible #1 backup at LB Hodges is solid in run support but he should never be on the field in obvious pass plays.

Now the CB's are actually looking more questionable than the Bears group. This was not to be expected by alot of Packer fans once they signed "run like a lumber Jack" Woodson. But after his limited preseason showing he has shown exactly what many teams thought he would be---a shell of his former self about 3-4 years ago. He whiffs on easy tackles as if the opposing WR's have Wolverine claws sticking out there jerseys. Every said(aside from Packer fans) said Woodson has lost more than a step, and well----- he did nothing to discount that theory. Second and third tier WR was easily beating him on simple fly and post routes. Al Harris has been better but that is nothing to be proud of. He tackles better but pass coverage is still suspect at times. And Marquis Manuel the safety and other prized free agent pickup that you guys had high hopes for has shown why he was let walk by Seattle. The packers defensive line is the most solid part on this team overall. But dont confuse that with the idea that that means they are good. They get blown off the ball easily and play out of assignment too often. The Bears will run to set up the pass. And stopping the run is not the Packers forte. As erractic as Grossman can be at times, he sells the playaction very well. If he can put the ball where his WR's can get it there will be big gains because they(WR's) will be open.

Bears 20
Packers 6
laugh now, cry later.

:twisted:

Willard
09-05-2006, 12:11 PM
badbear,

All in all a reasonable analysis from a bear fan (much moreso than your comrade in arms who has posted on this thread). I agree on your first point that turnovers will be crucial in this game. I doubt Favre will throw 6 completions to bears players this year as he did last year. Controlling this charity should keep the Pack in the game. Our chances to win grow exponentially with every turnover by Grossman (as you stated).

Unfortunately there is some truth in your assessment of the LB unit. Barnett does go to the wrong hole too often, and Hawk & Poppinga's physical play will be somewhat tempered by their inexperience. Still, this unit has a lot more big play potential than any LB corps in GB in the last few years so I will be patient with them, and hope they pop the ball loose with some big hits. My biggest critique of your analysis is regarding our secondary, and Al Harris in particular. Al held Muhammad without a single catch last year, the first time in 51 games that Muhammad had no receptions. He held Steve Smith to 10 yards on 2 catches last year. I don't think it is a stretch to say the bears would have won their playoff game last year had Al Harris been your starting cornerback (God forbid). So is he washed up? Not according to Chad Johnson who was shutout by Al Harris in one of the few bright spots of last MNF's disaster. Johnson considers Al one of the top3 cover CBs in the NFL (by the way, neither of the other 2 are bears). I would be lying if I said I wasn't worried about Woodson & Manuel. THe fact is I just don't know what to expect. Can Woodson turn it on when he needs to? Don't know. Manuel will be fine. He barely practiced before the MNF meltdown so I am not panicking. I know he looked good when he started in Seattle, and I know he is better than our SS last year. Overall the starting personnel in our secondary, as well as the nickel package is better than they were last year. How good they will be won't be known until after the bears game. [/img]

Creepy
09-05-2006, 01:02 PM
Everybodys expectations are pretty high. The Bears fans feel that they will be better as they will have Grossman in at QB and be able to throw better. They state the running game is in full force and will make it easier for Grossman.

Packer fans, on th ewhole are wary of teh team. The talent isthere for a good offense and a good defense. The question is will it come together. The Falcons game gave GB hope things were improving. The Bengal game became flasbacks of last year s play. I think the team that played against the Falcons is more than likely. The problem is that the team that played the Bengal game is still lurking.

So here is my assesment.

Number one, both Bear RBs are dinged up. They have not played much in the pre-season and have not practiced as much. So the Bears running game is suspect for week one. The Bear WR have not really improved that much since last year. That leaves Muhamed to be the biggest target. Mushin has never been a threat where he needs to be triple covered and in most cases he will be doubled but he wil alos be in single coverage a lot more than you would expect. The Bears brought no-one in or has any other receiver developed to put pressure on the young GB secondary.

Right now I give the advantage to the GB defense to stop the Bears and the only sore spot is GBs pass rush, but amazingly enough it does seem to work against the Bears.

Now the Bear defense has had to revamp it's secondary a little this year. It has been chewed up by prime receivers and could be so again. You can't look at last year and say that the GB OL has went down. We had two crappy guards and our center was playing after a hernia operation. So the OL play will be a little better his year. The addition of Jennings will give the Bears more to cover than just Driver (Walker was out for both games). Franks will also be at 100% and that means the LBs will have more work to do than just stuff the run and blitz.

GB has Green returning and I have already mentioned Jennings, Franks & Driver. Should Green have an average day with 50+ yards rushing (3.5+ avg) and receive about 5 passes for 35-50 yards then the Bears will be hurting. They will have to committ to stopping and covering Green which may open up Franks, or one of the WRs for a good day. The young line may not move the middle, but GB did look average to above average on sweeps. Don't expect GB to just run up the middle all day.

The advantage here is the Bear defense. GBs OL is still unstable and the Bears defense is good. The one thing that could kill the Bears is if they decide the only WR that can hurt them is Driver. If the safeties sit waiting for that slant pattern, they may get burned by a deep crossong pattern by Jennings.

Overall, these two teams are pretty even. The win here is going to the team that wins the TO battle. Should the GB offense stick with the WC style offense it will have a better chance of winning this battle.

My prediction is GB 17 Chicago 13 with GB getting a FG in the fourth to secure the victory.

Packnut
09-05-2006, 01:29 PM
First of all I must congradulate most of you guys for actually being mostly realistic aside from the final scores you all have posted. Not used to this on a Packers board.

Now to the subject at hand. The Packers can beat the Bears only IF Grossman turns the ball over. Other than that the Bears will be solid in every phase of the game. To point out what a fellow Bear fan said about the Packers being slow on defense, I think he was referring to the fact that the LB's have been terrible in pass coverage in the preseason games and practice.

You all talk about what the Packers must do on offense , but I think it is more on defense. You all assume that since the Bears offense has struggled the Packers just have to play solid O and not turn it over and a win will be dropped in their laps. Not so.

The projected starting LB's Hawk, Poppinga(spelling?), Barnett will be fast no doubt, but their ability to react to playaction and drop back to read the pass will leave Packer fans screaming "What the F%@$!!" :shock:
They all will overrun plays and struggle to get off blocks. No Middle LB in the NFC north misreads what holes to hit more than Barnett, the leader of the group. Hawk will be good in the future but it is clear he is thinking more than playing. He will get it together by midseason but not in time for game one. Poppinga is very aggresive and can easily get caught out of position on a play fake. And the possible #1 backup at LB Hodges is solid in run support but he should never be on the field in obvious pass plays.

Now the CB's are actually looking more questionable than the Bears group. This was not to be expected by alot of Packer fans once they signed "run like a lumber Jack" Woodson. But after his limited preseason showing he has shown exactly what many teams thought he would be---a shell of his former self about 3-4 years ago. He whiffs on easy tackles as if the opposing WR's have Wolverine claws sticking out there jerseys. Every said(aside from Packer fans) said Woodson has lost more than a step, and well----- he did nothing to discount that theory. Second and third tier WR was easily beating him on simple fly and post routes. Al Harris has been better but that is nothing to be proud of. He tackles better but pass coverage is still suspect at times. And Marquis Manuel the safety and other prized free agent pickup that you guys had high hopes for has shown why he was let walk by Seattle. The packers defensive line is the most solid part on this team overall. But dont confuse that with the idea that that means they are good. They get blown off the ball easily and play out of assignment too often. The Bears will run to set up the pass. And stopping the run is not the Packers forte. As erractic as Grossman can be at times, he sells the playaction very well. If he can put the ball where his WR's can get it there will be big gains because they(WR's) will be open.

Bears 20
Packers 6
laugh now, cry later.

You should feel ashamed for your lack of knowledge and feel pretty foolish about your comment on Harris. This is the same Al Harris who shut down Chad Johnson. Now does'nt common sense tell you that if he could shut down the best WR in the game, he can handle your guy? As for Woodson, he'll have no trouble with your #2 who would be #4 on most teams.

That leaves your running game. As bad as the Pack run D is, you just can't show up the 1st game and believe it will gel after very little practice.

May I also remind you that a pathetic talent-less offense rolled up 726 yds against your vaunted D last season. We had no red zone offense, but that will be a different story come Sunday.

One last thought- a certain QB who wears #4 and has been nick-named "the Bear Killer" might just prove his death was a bit pre-mature and he just might rise up and bitch slap your team like he has done so many times in the past!

Packnut
09-05-2006, 01:29 PM

Bears 20
Packers 6
laugh now, cry later.

You should feel ashamed for your lack of knowledge and feel pretty foolish about your comment on Harris. This is the same Al Harris who shut down Chad Johnson. Now does'nt common sense tell you that if he could shut down the best WR in the game, he can handle your guy? As for Woodson, he'll have no trouble with your #2 who would be #4 on most teams.

That leaves your running game. As bad as the Pack run D is, you just can't show up the 1st game and believe it will gel after very little practice.

May I also remind you that a pathetic talent-less offense rolled up 726 yds against your vaunted D last season. We had no red zone offense, but that will be a different story come Sunday.

One last thought- a certain QB who wears #4 and has been nick-named "the Bear Killer" might just prove his death was a bit pre-mature and he just might rise up and bitch slap your team like he has done so many times in the past!

Scott Campbell
09-05-2006, 02:11 PM

GO BEARS !

I think a lot of this Bear bravado has to do with the crippling loss at home to the Panthers last year. They soothe their dissapointment and fear by trying to bully the current runt of their division. Regardless of what the Bears do or don't do to the Packers, they will be considered underachievers and chokers until they win some playoff games. Beating the worst Packer team in the last 15 years just doesn't earn you that much respect.

And Bear fans have to be questioning a coaching staff that gave away the Panther game before the players ever stepped onto the field. Give them 2 weeks to game plan and that's how they decide to defend against Steve Smith? I don't even think Slowik would have done something that stupid. The Bears should have beaten the Panthers easily. The Bears should also win this game easily. You have to wonder if they'll handle the pressure of high expectations better this weekend than they did last time.

So if the Bears win as expected, I'll be the first to say congratulations - for not choking.

If they lose, and the Packers win - I'm going to laugh my ass off.

RashanGary
09-05-2006, 02:33 PM
The Bears have a really good defense, good special teams and believe it or not, they have a chance to have a good offense with a cohesive line, at least one good WR and 2 good RB's.

Grossman is young, he's been injury proned. It's easy to say he sucks and poke at Bear fans because he hasn't been able to play because that is the easiest thing to do. I think Grossman is going to surprise alot of people this year. He's got a good arm. He moves around well enough. He's a fighter and seems aware enough not to make the horrible play. The best thing he has going for him is that he won't be asked to do too much. When QB's are asked simply not to lose the game like Brady was a for a few years then they can play safe and take that shot when it opens. When QB's are asked to make things happen and be the difference in games, that is when bad things happen.

Make no mistake about it, the Bears are a legit title contender and the Packers are a bottom of the barrel rebuilding team. Hearing you guys defend the Packers and knock the Bears is embarassing as a Packer fan. We're smarter than that. We can think with our minds and not our emotions. Oh wait.....

The Packers suck.

Bears 24, Packers 10

The Shadow
09-05-2006, 07:34 PM
Boy, would I love to see an Ahman Green halfback option toss to Jennings.

gbgary
09-05-2006, 07:43 PM
ok........i haven't read any replys to the topic at hand but here's my take if i were in charge. defensively i'd blitz the crap out of them and dare them to beat us through the air...i think grossman will fold. offensively i'd stick to the original wco idea and throw short all day long until they start looking for the short ball and then beat them deep...but that's just me. i'll shut-up now.

The Shadow
09-05-2006, 09:58 PM
...and what have they been practicing behind closed doors all week?

MJZiggy
09-05-2006, 10:20 PM
...and what have they been practicing behind closed doors all week?

The Ahman Green halfback toss to Jennings!!

BEARMAN
09-06-2006, 01:01 AM
Mr. Jennings, BRAVO ! I commend you on yours and my teams analysis. You Sir, are a better fan then I, or for that matter most on this board. Too often I allow my emotions to sway my better judgement. You seem have the ability to rise above the reteric and see the facts as they stand. Again, BRAVO.

GO BEARS !

Packers4Glory
09-06-2006, 02:59 AM
Mr. Jennings, BRAVO ! I commend you on yours and my teams analysis. You Sir, are a better fan then I, or for that matter most on this board. Too often I allow my emotions to sway my better judgement. You seem have the ability to rise above the reteric and see the facts as they stand. Again, BRAVO.

GO BEARS !apparently you missed the fact that Harris is one of the better shut down corners in the lg.

this game will be a tough one to win for the Pack, and alot of things willhave to break right for the pack to sneak a win. If this game was in shitcago I'd say we had almost no chance of winning this game week 1. Being at home *should* help and perhaps the youngsters are too "green" to know they aren't suppose to win. Ignorance is often bliss.

BEARMAN
09-06-2006, 05:34 PM
Hey, I don't go around calling you Pisspackers, or Fudgepackers. I do call you cheeseheads, but you seem to like that? :roll: Anyway, stop callin my team names or I'll tell. :mrgreen:

GO BEARS !

Dabaddestbear
09-06-2006, 08:23 PM
badbear,

...My biggest critique of your analysis is regarding our secondary, and Al Harris in particular. ... [/img]

Ok, I do havta give Harris more credit than I did in my previous post. But the fact is with Woodson covering the #1 now(correct me if I'm wrong) Grossman will look for the long ball often. And if he is covering the speedy Berrian, Bradley, or Davis look to hear Packer fans across the nation to be screaming "WHAT DA HELL IS HE DOING!!!???"

Packnut
09-06-2006, 08:27 PM
badbear,

...My biggest critique of your analysis is regarding our secondary, and Al Harris in particular. ... [/img]

Ok, I do havta give Harris more credit than I did in my previous post. But the fact is with Woodson covering the #1 now(correct me if I'm wrong) Grossman will look for the long ball often. And if he is covering the speedy Berrian, Bradley, or Davis look to hear Packer fans across the nation to be screaming "WHAT DA HELL IS HE DOING!!!???"

Your team has no #2 or #3 WR much less a TE. Everyone in the world seem's to know that except you.

MJZiggy
09-06-2006, 08:29 PM
I don't remember anything saying Woodson was going to be married to covering the #1...fact is no one knows what to expect here. Except the Packers.

wist43
09-06-2006, 08:33 PM
Late to this thread, but:

Gameplan Offense:

Run the ball, run the ball, (short pass, or run the ball), and punt. I would prefer to see the Packers have 12 punts, than 4 turnovers.

Against an anemic offense like the Bears - punting isn't a crime, it should be an integral part of the game plan. Sadly, I don't think McCarthy will exercise that kind of patience.

---------------------

Gameplan defense:

Eight men in the box on run downs, and blitz the hell out of Grossman on passing downs.

Sadly, I don't think they'll do this either...

Bears 24
Packers 10

10 points might be too optimistic though.

MJZiggy
09-06-2006, 08:35 PM
Ok, Eeyore...

Willard
09-06-2006, 08:40 PM

Gameplan Offense:

Run the ball, run the ball, (short pass, or run the ball), and punt. I would prefer to see the Packers have 12 punts, than 4 turnovers.

Against an anemic offense like the Bears - punting isn't a crime, it should be an integral part of the game plan.

Wist, Are you OK with the Pack at least waiting until 4th down to punt or do you advocate the "surprise pooch punt" now and again?

Dabaddestbear
09-06-2006, 09:00 PM
Packer fans, on th ewhole are wary of teh team. The talent isthere for a good offense and a good defense. The question is will it come together. The Falcons game gave GB hope things were improving.
Vick was taken out after only two possesions. They played the backup QB.

Number one, both Bear RBs are dinged up. They have not played much in the pre-season and have not practiced as much. So the Bears running game is suspect for week one.
Wrong. Thomas Jones is fully healed without question and knows the offense in and out so sitting out 3 of 4 preseason games will only have him coming in with fresh legs. Benson said he is about 95% and will be the backup. There is no question marks there.

The Bear WR have not really improved that much since last year. That leaves Muhamed to be the biggest target. Mushin has never been a threat where he needs to be triple covered and in most cases he will be doubled but he wil alos be in single coverage a lot more than you would expect. The Bears brought no-one in or has any other receiver developed to put pressure on the young GB secondary.
You havent been watching any preseason game or listening to the talk from the Bears camp about Berrian, Davis and Bradley have you? The WR's have got free most of the time its just if Grossman can calm down and get the ball to them. Trust me if you single cover the Bears speedy young WR's one will break lose on you for a TD. I said it hear first.

Right now I give the advantage to the GB defense to stop the Bears and the only sore spot is GBs pass rush, but amazingly enough it does seem to work against the Bears.
Only against Orton who has a had a habit of holding the ball until the sunset looms. And even against him he was able to make some connections against the Pack pass rush. Remember you wont see him since he is the 3rd string QB. So your argument of a good pass rush against the Bears is more than flawed.

You can't look at last year and say that the GB OL has went down. We had two crappy guards and our center was playing after a hernia operation. So the OL play will be a little better his year.
Are you serious? This line could possibly be worst than last years. You replaced last years so called crappy guards with two rookie inexperienced and mostly crappy guards. And a little better will not be enough improvement from last years O-line play. It will have to be vastly improved for Brett to survive. Especially with the new blocking scheme.

The addition of Jennings will give the Bears more to cover than just Driver (Walker was out for both games). Franks will also be at 100% and that means the LBs will have more work to do than just stuff the run and blitz.
Umm, Vasher(you know that ProBowl guy) will have no problem covering Jennings. And Franks will be covered by the other ProBowlers Urlacher and Briggs. That same Briggs that put him out the game with a jarring hit. Franks will be the least of the problems if any for the Bears linebackers.

GB has Green returning and I have already mentioned Jennings, Franks & Driver. Should Green have an average day with 50+ yards rushing (3.5+ avg) and receive about 5 passes for 35-50 yards then the Bears will be hurting. They will have to committ to stopping and covering Green which may open up Franks, or one of the WRs for a good day. The young line may not move the middle, but GB did look average to above average on sweeps. Don't expect GB to just run up the middle all day.
Is this a comedy act you are practicing for pregame tailgating party? If you think Green getting 50 yards rushnig is going to slow the Bears down then I feel sorry for any peewee league you may happen to coach. And Green coming out the backfield to catch passes wont happen much since he will be thinking about Urlacher laying him out as soon as Brett leads him into the defense. And contrary to your beliefs, GB best chance would be to go up the middle agains the Bears. you dont try to run sweeps and tosses to the outside against a defense as solid and as quick as the Bears. That would be asking for a 5-6 yard loss.

Overall, these two teams are pretty even. The win here is going to the team that wins the TO battle. Should the GB offense stick with the WC style offense it will have a better chance of winning this battle.

My prediction is GB 17 Chicago 13 with GB getting a FG in the fourth to secure the victory.
I have to give you credit for trying to make your points but as you see they can seem quite flawed. These two teams are not even. The Bears have a solid Defense with a questionable offense. The Packers have a questionable everything.
By the way everyone is forgettting special teams in which the Bears have Devin Hester returning punts like a beast and you have a punter that have booted well but has outkicked his coverage.

MJZiggy
09-06-2006, 09:04 PM

Gameplan Offense:

Against an anemic offense like the Bears - punting isn't a crime, it should be an integral part of the game plan. Sadly, I don't think McCarthy will exercise that kind of patience.

---------------------

Gameplan defense:

Eight men in the box on run downs, and blitz the hell out of Grossman on passing downs.

Bears 24
Packers 10

"...By all means, we're not going to line up and run two runs and one pass and so forth. We feel like we have plenty of ammunition."
Mike McCarthy 9-6-06

Dabaddestbear
09-06-2006, 09:09 PM

Like I said earlier I do havta give Harris a littel more credit. But also keep in mind that all last year most QB's didnt throw his way not because he was so good but becuase Carrol was so bad. Who can resist the temptation to pass up a certain holding penalty that Ahmad was gift wrapping each game?

And about Woodson being able to cover our #2's that would be in your view be #4's on another team----Umm, Woodson got burned consistantly by #3 and 4's in his last preseason game. Did you think he was getting burned by the starting WR's? :roll:

The Bears runing offense is exactly the same as last year with the same personel operating it. Which features T. Jones. You know that same guy that totaled over 200 yards against the pack last year.

C'mon man you can give me better stuff than this. :?

Dabaddestbear
09-06-2006, 09:15 PM
The Bears should have beaten the Panthers easily. The Bears should also win this game easily. You have to wonder if they'll handle the pressure of high expectations better this weekend than they did last time.

So if the Bears win as expected, I'll be the first to say congratulations - for not choking.

If they lose, and the Packers win - I'm going to laugh my ass off.
So if the Packers lose are you going to cry your ass off?
First of all the difference is the Packers are not the Panthers. So how about you tell me how the team YOU ROOT FOR will do against the Bears.

Odd how you are already discounting a possible win for the Bears. If they win, they were supposed to. If they lose, they just happened not to choke? You are a classic as always. :neutral:

You say they should win. So are you telling all the Packer fans on here that is assuming otherwise that they are wrong? If so give me or them an analysis either way.

Dabaddestbear
09-06-2006, 09:19 PM
The Bears have a really good defense, good special teams and believe it or not, they have a chance to have a good offense with a cohesive line, at least one good WR and 2 good RB's.

Grossman is young, he's been injury proned. It's easy to say he sucks and poke at Bear fans because he hasn't been able to play because that is the easiest thing to do. I think Grossman is going to surprise alot of people this year. He's got a good arm. He moves around well enough. He's a fighter and seems aware enough not to make the horrible play. The best thing he has going for him is that he won't be asked to do too much. When QB's are asked simply not to lose the game like Brady was a for a few years then they can play safe and take that shot when it opens. When QB's are asked to make things happen and be the difference in games, that is when bad things happen.

Make no mistake about it, the Bears are a legit title contender and the Packers are a bottom of the barrel rebuilding team. Hearing you guys defend the Packers and knock the Bears is embarassing as a Packer fan. We're smarter than that. We can think with our minds and not our emotions. Oh wait.....

The Packers suck.

Bears 24, Packers 10
This post is good not because he predicted the Bears would win but because he actually gave an reason why or why not. Something some fans on here find it hard to do. Go ahead say "the Bears are gonna lose cuz they just suck!!" :roll:

b bulldog
09-06-2006, 09:22 PM
While the Bears should win tghis weekend, they do have many injuries that could derail them. Mike Brown being out is huge in my opinion. He is a smart, ball hawking S who makes plays and his absence will be noticed. In regards to the Carolina game, the Panthers were the better team and showed it on the field. I don't think anyone outside of Chicago was surprised that the Bears lost, just how they lost. I was wondering something, if I was a BeaRS FAN, I would grow tired of how some want to compare their current D to the 85 D, NO SIMILARITIES WHAT SO EVER!

Dabaddestbear
09-06-2006, 09:22 PM
badbear,

Your team has no #2 or #3 WR much less a TE. Everyone in the world seem's to know that except you.
And everyone seems to know the Packers suck but you. Fair exchange except for the fact everyone thinks your entire team sucks not just one player.

Dabaddestbear
09-06-2006, 09:32 PM

Gameplan Offense:

---------------------

Gameplan defense:

Bears 24
Packers 10

The point is Wist, that if you punt too often you give Devin Hester an oppurtunity to run one back for either real good field possition or an TD. The kid is good.
Here is a video of him.
http://rapidshare.de/files/31821109/_Hester_54yardreturn_wk4ps.avi.html

Dabaddestbear
09-06-2006, 09:33 PM
While the Bears should win tghis weekend, they do have many injuries that could derail them. Mike Brown being out is huge in my opinion. He is a smart, ball hawking S who makes plays and his absence will be noticed. In regards to the Carolina game, the Panthers were the better team and showed it on the field. I don't think anyone outside of Chicago was surprised that the Bears lost, just how they lost. I was wondering something, if I was a BeaRS FAN, I would grow tired of how some want to compare their current D to the 85 D, NO SIMILARITIES WHAT SO EVER!
Mike Brown will not be out. He will start as reported on Bears website.

Chubbyhubby
09-06-2006, 09:41 PM
Living in IL although a huge packer fan. Living here in IL because my wife lives here.... I have been listening to chicago sports radio and they all say that the game is being taken very lightly. Based on how the Packers are viewed nationally they think its should be a "cake walk" I disagree. I believe the offense and defense that they showed during preseason was very vanillia and that was intentional. When the Packers come out Sunday, they will have a totally different look to them on both sides of the ball. If we can limit mistakes and score earily we can win this one!

Rastak
09-06-2006, 09:46 PM
Living in IL although a huge packer fan. Living here in IL because my wife lives here.... I have been listening to chicago sports radio and they all say that the game is being taken very lightly. Based on how the Packers are viewed nationally they think its should be a "cake walk" I disagree. I believe the offense and defense that they showed during preseason was very vanillia and that was intentional. When the Packers come out Sunday, they will have a totally different look to them on both sides of the ball. If we can limit mistakes and score earily we can win this one!

Using that same logic the Bears were very vanilla in their defensive schemes and may use a bunch line stunts designed to confuse a very inexperienced GB line which would make for an extremely long and sore day for Favre. Not saying that will happen but it's very possible.

MJZiggy
09-06-2006, 09:50 PM
That's true Rastak, but we have all of last season's film to prepare for them. Lovie's sitting in the film room to study the Packers and what's he gonna watch? How will he know what the Pack are gonna do?

Rastak
09-06-2006, 09:56 PM
That's true Rastak, but we have all of last season's film to prepare for them. Lovie's sitting in the film room to study the Packers and what's he gonna watch? How will he know what the Pack are gonna do?

Ask Rod Gardner? Just kidding, that's true Ziggy......

Chubbyhubby
09-06-2006, 10:02 PM
I think Mike McCarthy really wants to win this game. For two reasons, It will be his 1st win as a Packer Head Coach and 2nd its a win against the "hated Bears" It would sweeten the pot. He's going to pull out all the stops to get this win.

It's going to be a fun game to watch!

Fosco33
09-06-2006, 10:04 PM
Semi-serious question for you Bear fans.

When a Packer homer tries to defend the team, you engage in a spirited discussion - which is good for fan boards. But on the otherhand, you rip on homer fans if they say something stupid - "like the bearz suck" - but many Bear fans on these boards can only revert to name calling and resting on a solid year by the Bears. I recall this same talk the last time you had a winning season - remind me - how did the next year go?

In '88 you went 12-4 and won one playoff game.
In '89 you went 6-10.
In '91 you went 11-5 and got second place (lost in Wild Card).
In '92 you went 5-11.
In '94 you went 9-7 and won one playoff game.
Then you went on a six year drought.
In '01 you went 13-3 and lost in the divisional round.
In '02 you went 4-12.

Recap: two playoff victory in the last 18 years. Not much success and history of success to talk such a big game for this year.

Here's some advice from fans who've been blessed with 13 years of pretty good football - be modest else it bite you in the ass - and enjoy the ride while it lasts as shit can change very quickly in the NFL. But if history repeats itself, you guys are in for another modest year.

HarveyWallbangers
09-06-2006, 10:13 PM
Good point, Fosco!

I think most Packer fans think the Bears should be favored (rightly, in my mind), but most Packer fans see the Bears as a slightly above average team (rightly, in my mind). Their defense is great, but their QB, OL, WR, TE are not good. Thomas Jones was great last year, but he's had exactly one great year in seven years in the pros, missed most of the OTAs, and was injured much of the preseason. This team smells like a 9-7 team that plays in a weak division, so they could win 10 or 11 games if things break right like last year. One and done in the playoffs looks like a very real possibility--as there are several NFC teams that look better (Carolina, Seattle, and most of the NFC East to name a few).

Only GregJennings and Bears homers think that Rex Grossman has a shot at being special in this league. I see a short, injury prone QB with an overrated arm. I didn't like him in college, and there's nothing in the pros that makes me think he'll be anything special. Sure, he has to be better than Kyle Orton, but the Bears likely won't get as fortunate in their games as they did last year (when the bounces broke their way like they did for the 2001 team).

Packnut
09-06-2006, 10:42 PM

Like I said earlier I do havta give Harris a littel more credit. But also keep in mind that all last year most QB's didnt throw his way not because he was so good but becuase Carrol was so bad. Who can resist the temptation to pass up a certain holding penalty that Ahmad was gift wrapping each game?

And about Woodson being able to cover our #2's that would be in your view be #4's on another team----Umm, Woodson got burned consistantly by #3 and 4's in his last preseason game. Did you think he was getting burned by the starting WR's? :roll:

The Bears runing offense is exactly the same as last year with the same personel operating it. Which features T. Jones. You know that same guy that totaled over 200 yards against the pack last year.

C'mon man you can give me better stuff than this. :?

Do you just make shit up to convince yourself that your right? Woodson was burned by TJ Housyourmama who is the #2 WR for Cincy. Any self respecting football fan would know this.

Only an idiot (or Bears fan), would judge a veteran player in a PRE SEASON game. If there was any validity to it, than you should be real worried cause Rex SUCKED!

This is what I dis-like about arguing with a Bears fan. I give you a fact that a pathetic GB offense last season rolled up 726 total yds against your vaunted D and you tell me how great your #2 WR is. Bradley is not 100% and listed as questionable yet you throw him at me.

Let me leave you with this thought. Everyone expects the Bears to win so the pressure is riding on them. IF things go as expected your team wins, it's really not something you can come back here and boast about cause, as I said it's expected.

However, unlike a certain other poster here without any balls, (not talking about you) I will go out on a limb and predict the UPSET OF THE SEASON.

PACKERS WIN

Dabaddestbear
09-06-2006, 10:51 PM
Good point, Fosco!

I think most Packer fans think the Bears should be favored (rightly, in my mind), but most Packer fans see the Bears as a slightly above average team (rightly, in my mind). Their defense is great, but their QB, OL, WR, TE are not good. Thomas Jones was great last year, but he's had exactly one great year in seven years in the pros, missed most of the OTAs, and was injured much of the preseason. This team smells like a 9-7 team that plays in a weak division, so they could win 10 or 11 games if things break right like last year. One and done in the playoffs looks like a very real possibility--as there are several NFC teams that look better (Carolina, Seattle, and most of the NFC East to name a few).

Only GregJennings and Bears homers think that Rex Grossman has a shot at being special in this league. I see a short, injury prone QB with an overrated arm. I didn't like him in college, and there's nothing in the pros that makes me think he'll be anything special. Sure, he has to be better than Kyle Orton, but the Bears likely won't get as fortunate in their games as they did last year (when the bounces broke their way like they did for the 2001 team).
How was they fortunate last year? They played well. Defense ripped teams a new one. Comparing this team to 2001 is like comparing this defense to the 85 Bears. I noticed most Pack fans just keep saying the Bears will be one and done. But I gaurantee if you ask any players on any team would they rather make the playoffs and be one and done or only win 4 or 5 games----none would take the latter.

Fosco33
09-06-2006, 11:04 PM
Good point, Fosco!

How was they fortunate last year? They played well. Defense ripped teams a new one. Comparing this team to 2001 is like comparing this defense to the 85 Bears. I noticed most Pack fans just keep saying the Bears will be one and done. But I gaurantee if you ask any players on any team would they rather make the playoffs and be one and done or only win 4 or 5 games----none would take the latter.

Well, you have had plenty of those 4 & 5 win seasons in the timeperiod I mentioned above - 6 of 18 to be exact plus 5 more mediocre years w/ 6 & 7 wins.

But you're right, everyone would rather go to the playoffs and have a decent shot at the ring then watch from home.

No Mo Moss
09-06-2006, 11:06 PM
When I read what you type all I can do is laugh as I think of Urlacher being drageed 5 yards into the endzone by Jerome Bettis. That was the highlight of the year hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bretsky
09-06-2006, 11:07 PM
I've just completed my confidence pool and took Da Bears for 7 points

esoxx
09-06-2006, 11:10 PM
I'm sitting out the pool this year, but 7 sounds like a good choice.

AKfaust
09-06-2006, 11:20 PM
The Packers are going to have to play the perfect game to beat the Bears. That's all there is to it. The Bears defense can beat us on their own for crying out loud! I think Shadows game plan was as close as your going to come to giving us a shot to win this thing and #4 is going to have to play SMART. If Green and friends gain 50 yards it will be because of holding. Play smart on offense and don't take to many chances, make the Bears earn every inch when were on defense. If we can force 3rd downs and force Grossman to be the man things get better.
Something tells me Jennings is going to be our key to winning this game. Get him and Driver the ball and let them make things happen.
Kia! Go Pack.

HarveyWallbangers
09-06-2006, 11:23 PM
How was they fortunate last year? They played well. Defense ripped teams a new one. Comparing this team to 2001 is like comparing this defense to the 85 Bears.

They beat a horrible Lions team in OT on an interception return.

They beat a horrible Saints team on a last second FG. The Saints had a chance to take control, but failed on a 3rd and 1 with a few minutes left.

They beat a horrible 49ers team by just 8 points--in a game that Nathan Vasher had a fluke 108 yard return on a missed FG.

They beat a solid Buccaneers team by 3 points--thanks in large part due to missed, chip shot (29 yards) FG by the Bucs with under 3 minutes left.

Those are fluke victories. Narrow victories over mostly bad teams mostly because of bad plays made by those bad teams. Only a Bear homer would fail to realize the similarities between the 2001 team and the 2005 team.

I noticed most Pack fans just keep saying the Bears will be one and done. But I gaurantee if you ask any players on any team would they rather make the playoffs and be one and done or only win 4 or 5 games----none would take the latter.

Congratulations! For the second time in 15 years your Bears did better than the Pack. We're happy for you. Nobody cares though. Nobody remembers teams that lose their first playoff game. "A fart in the wind" is what Ron Wolf would call them.

Packers4Glory
09-07-2006, 12:04 AM
i'm sorry....vasher is NOT a good cover corner. he was in the right place at the right time last yr to get some tipped passes and such, but as far as a cover corner, he sucks.

Bretsky
09-07-2006, 12:09 AM
I'm sitting out the pool this year, but 7 sounds like a good choice.

I don't have time to get into the PR pool; only one I'm in has an entry of 175 and purse over 1G for first. This week there are a lot of tweener games. It was rough.

Partial
09-07-2006, 12:24 AM
I didn't read the thread, but I cannot sleep, and the key to beating the bears is pounding the ball over and over again and taking your 2.5-3 yards per carry into 3rd down conversions on short slants and screens. The key is to minimize mistakes through the air by nuetralizing their pass rush. Obviously, putting up big points against them isn't likely, but I don't think they'll be capable of scoring a lot of offensive points either.

Some things they're going to want to gameplan for:

Higher, shorter punts from Jon Ryan to take the away the return game. Same can be said about Raynor on the kickoffs.

Run exclusively short passes and keep the tight ends in the game. This way, they won't know if you're running or passing using play action.

Run the ball 40 times, even if its not effective, do not abadon it. Those 3rd and 5 is going to be a heck of a lot easier than 3rd and 10. It will also cut down on mistakes and will keep the pass rush honest.

Play Hodge and the Cole Train every 1st down of the game. Also, every 2nd and short.

Bretsky
09-07-2006, 12:32 AM
I didn't read the thread, but I cannot sleep, and the key to beating the bears is pounding the ball over and over again and taking your 2.5-3 yards per carry into 3rd down conversions on short slants and screens. The key is to minimize mistakes through the air by nuetralizing their pass rush. Obviously, putting up big points against them isn't likely, but I don't think they'll be capable of scoring a lot of offensive points either.

Higher, shorter punts from Jon Ryan to take the away the return game. Same can be said about Raynor on the kickoffs.

Run exclusively short passes and keep the tight ends in the game. This way, they won't know if you're running or passing using play action.

Run the ball 40 times, even if its not effective, do not abadon it. Those 3rd and 5 is going to be a heck of a lot easier than 3rd and 10. It will also cut down on mistakes and will keep the pass rush honest.

Play Hodge and the Cole Train every 1st down of the game. Also, every 2nd and short.

We think the opposite on this one.

With our poor OL we aren't going to average near 3yds per carry.

So high % passes on first down to set up 2nd and shorts so we don't get in trouble. Take a couple deep ball flyers. But high percentage plays to get out of 3rd and long and go at least even on the turnover battle.

B

Partial
09-07-2006, 12:54 AM

We think the opposite on this one.

With our poor OL we aren't going to average near 3yds per carry.

So high % passes on first down to set up 2nd and shorts so we don't get in trouble. Take a couple deep ball flyers. But high percentage plays to get out of 3rd and long and go at least even on the turnover battle.

B

I thought this at first too, but the strength of the Bears pass rush is from the inside with Tommy Harris collasping every pocket. Harris against Spitz or Moll worries me greatly, and I think it'd be our best interest to keep the ball out of Brett's hands. I hate to say it, but when the pressure is on, sometimes he tries to do too much. I feel much more confident pounding the ball over and over again. Harris isn't especially great against the run, and Ogunleye is like KGB. I would run behind Taush and Moll all game, and hoping for the best on 3rd and 4-5. If they don't get it, higher, shorter kicks to keep them from scoring with their special teams.

Tarlam!
09-09-2006, 06:28 AM
Posted September 9, 2006

4 keys to beating the Bears Sunday

By Dylan B. Tomlinson
PackersNews.com

This may be asking a lot, considering Packers quarterback Brett Favre threw 29 interceptions last season, the most in the NFL since Vinny Testaverde threw 35 in 1988. Six of Favre's interceptions came in the two games against the Bears. The number is even more alarming considering Favre did not throw a touchdown pass in either game. If the Packers are going to have any chance to upset the Bears, Favre is going to have to be more cautious with the ball, because if the Bears are able to force turnovers like they did last season, the Packers will have no chance to win the game.

Intercept the ball

This may sound simple, but when the Packers intercepted only 10 passes last season and only eight the year before, it's easy to see why this is a major concern. The addition of Charles Woodson should help tremendously. Woodson's presence guarantees that Al Harris will see more balls thrown his direction, something that became rare in the last two years when Ahmad Carroll was starting at cornerback. The Packers' biggest problem in this area the last two years was holding on to potential interceptions. Against a young, inexperienced quarterback like Rex Grossman, the Packers should have the chance for at least one or two interceptions, and when those chances arise, they have to make sure they make the most of them.

Go for the big play

Twice during the preseason, the Packers were able to find rookie receiver Greg Jennings for 80-yard-plus gains. To beat a defensively sound team like the Bears, the Packers are going to have to control the clock, which means running the ball effectively. One of the ways to do that is by throwing long early, which will prevent the Bears' secondary from focusing on the run. If the Packers are able to strike first with a deep throw, the running game will open up.

No mistakes on special teams

With inexperience at punter and kicker, this may be asking a lot. Dave Rayner did everything that was asked of him during the preseason, but he never was tested during games. While Jon Ryan showed he had the ability to punt well, he frequently lacked hangtime, which allowed several big returns. The Packers are going to have enough trouble matching up with the Bears on offense and defense that they can't afford to have anything go wrong on special teams.

MJZiggy
09-09-2006, 08:19 AM
Just curious, is there anyone here who did not already know all this? Is there anyone in GB who didn't?

BananaMan
09-09-2006, 11:24 AM
Well, it's always good to have it confirmed. :wink:

The Shadow
09-09-2006, 04:52 PM
After reading all the responses, I still think my original offering makes the most sense for our Packers on Sunday :

Offense : Our running game is a true work in progress on the interior & 1 & 2 yard runs will only lead to 2nd & longs & 3rd & longs, which invite turnovers.
I would go with a very unorthodox approach.
I would have the Packers TRULY using the pass to set up the run, and basically abandon the run through the first quarter in lieu of slants, quick outs, and screens. I would keep at least one back in at all times to protect Favre in the middle (I think Clifton & Tausch can handle the Bears ends very well - plus Alex Brown is hurting). The Bears will focus blitzes through the interior of our line, so even steady max-protection might be in order.
In effect, I would pit Driver, Jennings, Franks, Ferguson, & Green against the Bears secondary. Giving Favre a little time to throw, for me, represents our best chance to win the game.
Only once the Bear linebackers were at least a bit tentative about charging the gaps in run defense, would I start mixing in the run.
Slants, screens, & shallow crossing patterns - with 3 step drops to nullify the pass rush - would be the steady diet I would feed the Bears defense.
They are used to stopping the run on first down and then pinning their ears back, so why not avoid playing into their hands?
The Bear secondary is not nearly as good as the front seven, so let's attack there. Mike Brown has lost even more than a step - more than he can afford. The corners can be beaten (anyone remember the Carolina game?

Defense : I would jam the Bears receivers hard at the line. I wouldn't be so concerned about blitzes, and when I did, I would bring a cornerback, to keep Grossman anxious.
I would be more concerned with stopping the run & making Grossman have to beat us. In that setup, I like our chances a lot! Our linebackers should patiently troll the short/medium areas & wait for Grossman's inevitable mistakes.
The Bears never have adapted well to anything out of the ordinary. They simply don't seem, under Lovie, to adjust to things they are not expecting.

Go Packers!

red
09-09-2006, 05:06 PM
we absolutely can not turn the ball over. we need to be patient and play the field position game

let their o make the big mistakes, and just take what they can give us.

we got green back, so lets do some screens, and quick passes to avoid the rush. get the ball out of breets hand quick to start the game so he doesn't get knocked around right off the bat and start getting jumpy

DO NOT THROW TO DAVID MARTIN. the last thing we need is for a perfect pass to get knocked up into the air against the bears d so it can be picked off and returned for a TD. sit his ass on the bench the whole game

and if we drop one punt or kickoff, then the ST coach should be fired on monday

Terry
09-09-2006, 05:16 PM
By Dylan B. Tomlinson
PackersNews.com
With inexperience at punter and kicker, this may be asking a lot. Dave Rayner did everything that was asked of him during the preseason, but he never was tested during games. While Jon Ryan showed he had the ability to punt well, he frequently lacked hangtime, which allowed several big returns. The Packers are going to have enough trouble matching up with the Bears on offense and defense that they can't afford to have anything go wrong on special teams.

I'm not sure this is entirely fair. Ryan had 8 punts and even with one of them being shanked, he averaged 53.6 yds - more than 10 yds more than his opponent. The returns for those 8 punts were 165 yds, approx 21 yd/ave. If my memory is right, one of them was for around 40 yds. But they ALL were pretty good returns. Yet, about half the punts had good hangtime.

I don't know why the tendency is to automatically blame the punter for returns; nor why the returner is blamed or credited so much for the return yardage. I sensed that the problem with returns (from the Titans) was not so much the punts as the special team play.

What I don't think is fair is saying Ryan frequently lacked hangtime - because he frequently had good hangtime as well. It was more of a pretty evenly mixed bag on the punts themselves. Yet still, hangtime or not, the returners got good return yardage, by and large.

The Shadow
09-09-2006, 05:26 PM
Also : the Bear's first pass plays will be slants - confidence builders for Grossman. Harris & Woodson should definitely play up close enough to bounce them off the routes imm. Collins & the strong safety should have responsibility for backing them up; I think the linebackers can effectively cover Desmond Clark.

woodbuck27
09-09-2006, 05:34 PM

Yup. That's the kind of karma we need.

NOT :cool:

woodbuck27
09-09-2006, 05:45 PM
If I'm the bears I put 8 men in the box and make Brett beat me. brett will give you chances to get turnovers or defensive TD's. I pressure him and make him become patient, I don't think he likes being patient and will force the ball and eventually hurt the offense which will in turn kill the defense.

Are YOU really a Packer fan?

GG Man !

Ohh! The Devil's Advocate role b bulldog. I get it.

Yea. . . Right !!

woodbuck27
09-09-2006, 06:10 PM
Posted September 9, 2006

4 keys to beating the Bears Sunday

By Dylan B. Tomlinson
PackersNews.com

This may be asking a lot, considering Packers quarterback Brett Favre threw 29 interceptions last season, the most in the NFL since Vinny Testaverde threw 35 in 1988. Six of Favre's interceptions came in the two games against the Bears. The number is even more alarming considering Favre did not throw a touchdown pass in either game. If the Packers are going to have any chance to upset the Bears, Favre is going to have to be more cautious with the ball, because if the Bears are able to force turnovers like they did last season, the Packers will have no chance to win the game.

Comment:woodbuck27

Brilliant Dylan !

Intercept the ball

This may sound simple, but when the Packers intercepted only 10 passes last season and only eight the year before, it's easy to see why this is a major concern. The addition of Charles Woodson should help tremendously. Woodson's presence guarantees that Al Harris will see more balls thrown his direction, something that became rare in the last two years when Ahmad Carroll was starting at cornerback. The Packers' biggest problem in this area the last two years was holding on to potential interceptions. Against a young, inexperienced quarterback like Rex Grossman, the Packers should have the chance for at least one or two interceptions, and when those chances arise, they have to make sure they make the most of them.

Comment woodbuck27:

Dylan wants the Packers secondary to get picks. Yea, Dylan. . . a novel idea. Wondering if they pay you too much? :mrgreen:

Go for the big play

Twice during the preseason, the Packers were able to find rookie receiver Greg Jennings for 80-yard-plus gains. To beat a defensively sound team like the Bears, the Packers are going to have to control the clock, which means running the ball effectively. One of the ways to do that is by throwing long early, which will prevent the Bears' secondary from focusing on the run. If the Packers are able to strike first with a deep throw, the running game will open up.

Comment Woodbuck27:

OK Dylan let me see if I've got it? Are you saying. .

Go for the lead early? mmmm

Never thought of that one.Your da Man!! Dyl ann.

No mistakes on special teams

Comment woodbuck27:

Hangtime shrangtime ! I'm thinking. . . that big leg'd Canadian punter, Jon Ryan, should take "his POTENTIAL" and shove it up your sprimy ass. :mrgreen:

Really ! I wonder what they pay that wanna be writer?

He must have been late on a deadline to punch out such puss.

GO Packers Go Favre. Go Defensive secondary (get picks) and . .

Go Jon Ryan. . right the "H" out of Green Bay, to a city who's media will support . . .

YOUR POTENTIAL.

woodbuck27
09-09-2006, 07:49 PM

Take your Bear T-Shirt off b bulldog and try a little respect.

This is game #1 and your -ve sucks.

Do you get off being such a phoney Packer fan? There are alot of die hard Packer fans here, that are thinking nothing but a "W" tomorrow. Do you not care how you appear to them?

We are adults here Ehh, and don't need your reality check BS. As fans of the Packers here we are well aware of ALL the concerns and don't need your constant Favre attack.After all he's given to most of us . . that low blow crap isn't apppreciated as often as you seem to need to toss it on this board.

Take a " I'll try to be more +ve pill " Please.

GO PACKERS ! FAITH PACKER FANS !!

Dabaddestbear
09-11-2006, 11:01 AM
Offense
The gameplan offensively should be a page out of the Raven book from a few seasons ago.

short quick passes.--having an inexperienced line facing perhaps the best defense in the lg means take the pressure off them by using quick 3 step drop type passes....slants/quick outs/ins. don't give the defense many chances to get to the QB and force throws under duress.

quick hitting runs--yards on the ground will be tough enough. get what you can w/o getting stretched out and having negative yardage plays.

utilize back on swing passes--see above. yards on the ground will be at a premium. counteract that w/ passes to the RB.

Utilize Bubba--get him the ball more. not just in the red zone but all over.

NO TURNOVERS--killed chance at winning last yr.

Limit stupid drive killing penalties that plagued them last yr. this obviously goes for every game. The young guys will make enough mistakes w/o adding stupid ones on top of it.

Defense--
make grossman beat you. Stuff the run and hope woodson looks better than last time.

take advantage of the chances Grossman gives you. like brett, grossman will give the defense a shot at a pick or 2 almost every game. gotta turn that TO ratio around and win that battle.

Special teams

Need to not give up the big return. simple enough. a no duh answer. no shank punts. keep field position. make them sustain long drives to score.

17 and 0. thats the magic number. get 17 points and 0 TO's it should be enough. The bears aren't talented enough offensively to score much if you make them sustain drives the lenght of the field.
Turnovers did not decide this game like most of us would have thought. The Bears D just stopped the packers flat out when needed with the only coring attempt being a 53 yard Fg miss.

The Bears Offense or better yet Grossman have showed what alot of Bear fans thought he was when he was drafted.

Dabaddestbear
09-11-2006, 11:09 AM

Now to the subject at hand. The Packers can beat the Bears only IF Grossman turns the ball over. Other than that the Bears will be solid in every phase of the game. To point out what a fellow Bear fan said about the Packers being slow on defense, I think he was referring to the fact that the LB's have been terrible in pass coverage in the preseason games and practice. Came to be true. Popinga who?

You all talk about what the Packers must do on offense , but I think it is more on defense. You all assume that since the Bears offense has struggled the Packers just have to play solid O and not turn it over and a win will be dropped in their laps. Not so. Prophet I am. I will have your lottery numbers ready.

They all will overrun plays and struggle to get off blocks. No Middle LB in the NFC north misreads what holes to hit more than Barnett, the leader of the group. Hawk will be good in the future but it is clear he is thinking more than playing. He will get it together by midseason but not in time for game one. Poppinga is very aggresive and can easily get caught out of position on a play fake. And the possible #1 backup at LB Hodges is solid in run support but he should never be on the field in obvious pass plays. Barnett was "Ok" as usual but nothing to write home about. Did I not tell you about Poppinga? only now do you guys look to bash him. I pointed out his obvious weaknesses before the game and called Lovie Smith to let him know how to attack him. ----He took my advice.
[/quote]

Now the CB's are actually looking more questionable than the Bears group. This was not to be expected by alot of Packer fans once they signed "run like a lumber Jack" Woodson. But after his limited preseason showing he has shown exactly what many teams thought he would be---a shell of his former self about 3-4 years ago. He whiffs on easy tackles as if the opposing WR's have Wolverine claws sticking out there jerseys. Every one said(aside from Packer fans) said Woodson has lost more than a step, and well----- he did nothing to discount that theory. Second and third tier WR was easily beating him on simple fly and post routes. Al Harris has been better but that is nothing to be proud of. He tackles better but pass coverage is still suspect at times. And Marquis Manuel the safety and other prized free agent pickup that you guys had high hopes for has shown why he was let walk by Seattle. The packers defensive line is the most solid part on this team overall. But dont confuse that with the idea that that means they are good. They get blown off the ball easily and play out of assignment too often. The Bears will run to set up the pass. And stopping the run is not the Packers forte. As erractic as Grossman can be at times, he sells the playaction very well. If he can put the ball where his WR's can get it there will be big gains because they(WR's) will be open.

Bears 20
Packers 6
laugh now, cry later.

Now was I drinking Kool-aide or did I know my stuff? Hold on while I toot my little blue and orange horn. :twisted:

Dabaddestbear
09-11-2006, 11:13 AM
Bears 20
Packers 6
laugh now, cry later.

I must have forgot to do the football math cuz I was supposed to add subtract the 6 from the Pack final score and add it to the Bears final. Was anyone closer than me on the predictions? Just curious

Dabaddestbear
09-11-2006, 11:18 AM

Do you need to see film on how Moose carved up your secondary at will?

Have you taken notice that Grossman is quietly starting a streak against the packers in which he is now 3-0. Once again Brett didnt have it. I cannot blame this one as much on Brett though as last years losses. The Packers D and other players were just getting it handed it to them.

Dabaddestbear
09-11-2006, 11:21 AM
badbear,

I wonder if you could tell Poppinga that there is no TE on the Bears? And our #2 did what he needed to do catch a TD toss. Your #1, #2, and TE did what? Hold on did your TE's even get a catch? Maybe not since everytime they came on the field it was for max pass protection. :lol:

Dabaddestbear
09-11-2006, 11:24 AM

Gameplan Offense:

---------------------

Gameplan defense:

Bears 24
Packers 10

The point is Wist, that if you punt too often you give Devin Hester an oppurtunity to run one back for either real good field possition or an TD. The kid is good.
Here is a video of him.
http://rapidshare.de/files/31821109/_Hester_54yardreturn_wk4ps.avi.html
I warned you guys about Hester. The Packers should pay me for info.

MJZiggy
09-11-2006, 11:26 AM
Baddest, have you noticed you're pretty much talking to yourself here?

Scott Campbell
09-11-2006, 11:26 AM
I think I'll pay Mad to ban you.

Fosco33
09-11-2006, 11:30 AM

I think it's time for him to find a Lions forum for next week....

Dabaddestbear
09-11-2006, 11:34 AM
Do you just make shit up to convince yourself that your right? Woodson was burned by TJ Housyourmama who is the #2 WR for Cincy. Any self respecting football fan would know this.

Only an idiot (or Bears fan), would judge a veteran player in a PRE SEASON game. If there was any validity to it, than you should be real worried cause Rex SUCKED!

This is what I dis-like about arguing with a Bears fan. I give you a fact that a pathetic GB offense last season rolled up 726 total yds against your vaunted D and you tell me how great your #2 WR is. Bradley is not 100% and listed as questionable yet you throw him at me......
PACKERS WIN
Packnut the more I go over your predictions and logic the more I will remind myself to not put any value into any football knowledge you may claim to have.
LIke I have always said Pre-Season matters in how a player plays. It illustrates flashes of what that player may be when the regular season opens. Rex showed flashes of what he could do in the Preseason and tossed up alot of "I dont care balls" in the preseason. But he still showed that he can move the ball in the "PRESEASON". Woodson showed squat in the preseason. Not once did he do anything that made someone think he will be ok.

I was right and you were wrong. For the past several years I think I have been able to put down my Blue and Orange glasses long enough to post a non bias analysis on upcoming Packer and Bear games. Check my track record kid. I try my best to never be left with my foot in my mouth like a certain someone on here :wink:

jack's smirking revenge
09-11-2006, 11:37 AM
I'm not going to reread this whole thread. I just wanted to pop in here and tell baddestbear that Chicago played a great game yesterday and deserved to win. The Packers have a ton of problems, so I'm not sure what to say about how talented the Bears team is, but the Blue & Orange did dominate us in a convincing way. After years of pain and anguish at the hands of the Packers, I'm sure this feels really good.

Kings to you.

tyler

Dabaddestbear
09-11-2006, 11:37 AM
I said enough in this thread. No on to my next one to bump.

Scott Campbell
09-11-2006, 11:45 AM
Check my track record kid. I try my best to never be left with my foot in my mouth like a certain someone on here :wink:

It takes a special someone to come off like an idiot even when they're right. Congratulations.

Dabaddestbear
09-11-2006, 11:48 AM
I was just posting not looking for a reply. But I notice some of you came to play anyway or just couldnt resist.

Dabaddestbear
09-11-2006, 11:49 AM
I'm not going to reread this whole thread. I just wanted to pop in here and tell baddestbear that Chicago played a great game yesterday and deserved to win. The Packers have a ton of problems, so I'm not sure what to say about how talented the Bears team is, but the Blue & Orange did dominate us in a convincing way. After years of pain and anguish at the hands of the Packers, I'm sure this feels really good.

Kings to you.

tyler
Thank you Jack---and your smirking revenge :wink:

Dabaddestbear
09-11-2006, 11:50 AM
Check my track record kid. I try my best to never be left with my foot in my mouth like a certain someone on here :wink:

It takes a special someone to come off like an idiot even when they're right. Congratulations.
Scott I still luv you man.
:mrgreen:

Dabaddestbear
10-13-2006, 02:39 PM

The Packers suck.

Bears 24, Packers 10
Have to give it up to you for taking off your glasses back then and taking a look at reality. You gave Rex props when not one other Packer fan on here would.