PDA

View Full Version : New coach, new drills

Patler
06-03-2016, 06:50 AM
It's nice to see a new, young coach changing things to make practice interesting:

As the Packers paused for a water break Thursday, the wide receivers gathered off to the side of Ray Nitschke Field and dived into a veritable goody bag.

Out came tennis balls and footballs, which were to be juggled, and a number of red bricks, which were to be dropped and caught before hitting the ground. A collection of NERF balls surfaced, and players were instructed to catch and squeeze those, too.

What looked like the aftermath of a confused piñata was in reality a coaching tool for a newly promoted member of the coaching staff. Luke Getsy, elevated to wide receivers coach during the offseason, created the drills in an attempt to improve hand-eye coordination for his players. The early returns were positive: smiles, laughter and, of course, work.

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/insidersblog/2016/06/02/packers-receivers-juggling-new-methods/85316572/

Cheesehead Craig
06-03-2016, 10:00 AM
Well, that explains the video of Montgomery juggling footballs that made the rounds.

Pugger
06-03-2016, 12:05 PM
Well, that explains the video of Montgomery juggling footballs that made the rounds.

If these drills help keep the guys from dropping passes I'm all for it.

Carolina_Packer
06-03-2016, 01:15 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VNfLNRqC9w

I also saw one on my FB feed from Packers.com showing Randall and Devante juggling tennis balls back and forth to each other.

Patler
06-03-2016, 01:23 PM
We saw receivers do that all last year in games, with the same result at the end.

pbmax
06-03-2016, 04:37 PM
This workout if famous for causing foot injuries.

gbgary
06-09-2016, 10:35 AM
bricks?! they should get andre drummond out there and let the guys fight for his errant free-throws. if he's too busy maybe dwight howard or deandre jordan.

Patler
06-09-2016, 12:28 PM
This workout if famous for causing foot injuries.

With as easily and seriously as Rollins injured his finger in a relatively innocent OTA drill, messing around with bricks might be a bit risky for all digits!