PDA

View Full Version : JS-----JANIS deserves the chance to win the #3

Bretsky
06-04-2016, 08:59 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/jeff-janis-deserves-a-chance-to-prove-he-can-be-no-3-receiver-b99738101z1-381882131.html

Bretsky
06-04-2016, 08:59 PM
interesting article by somebody else who apparently does not buy into the Fresno Fraud

pbmax
06-04-2016, 10:07 PM
Many a physically gifted receiver has never made a breakthrough in the NFL (anyone besides KYPack and Rand remember Willis Adams?).

Janis needs to grow up: see if this sounds familiar

"It takes reps," Nelson said. "For everyone. That's going to be all in practice and in the film room. There are questions that get asked in the film room, and the way you answer those makes a difference. And the way you practice on a daily basis makes a difference. It's all about reps, and it's reps with Aaron, not just reps on the field. Every rep counts, but reps with Aaron weigh more."

Running a wrong route in practice isn't death unless its something you continually do.

The funny thing is, that description above (along with other comments last year) make Janis seem like Robert Ferguson. Just never got into the grind and the game mentally. Coasting on physical gifts.

Davante Adams did more as a rookie. The odds are still in his favor.

Time to grow up Peter Pan.

Patler
06-05-2016, 05:25 AM
If Nelson's comment was in response to a specific question about Janis, it can be read as an implied criticism of Janis' preparation, focus and effort. If it was in answer to a general question about what it takes to become a key member of the WR corps, or what it took him to get where he is, it means nothing with respect to Janis specifically.

Patler
06-05-2016, 05:56 AM
Many a physically gifted receiver has never made a breakthrough in the NFL (anyone besides KYPack and Rand remember Willis Adams?).

Packer fans have their own 1st round WR flop to lament........Barry Smith. All-American, FSU Hall of Famer, etc. (and outperformed in the NFL by Wills Adams.)

woodbuck27
06-05-2016, 06:13 AM
I'll put my money on 'Mr. Dee' Adams to secure NO. 3.

texaspackerbacker
06-05-2016, 08:18 AM
Janis is clearly the better player, but if Adams is healthy, I wouldn't put it past the coaching staff to prop him up and put Janis on the shelf again. I hate it when they do that sort of thing. Either way, we're loaded at WR.

Patler
06-05-2016, 08:34 AM
I'll put my money on 'Mr. Dee' Adams to secure NO. 3.

If Montgomery is healthy, it could be an interesting competition.

denverYooper
06-05-2016, 09:13 AM
Silly article. The battle for the 3rd WR spot is just the kind of wedge the beat guys like to drive in Packer Nation. Take the people's champion and prop him up against the well-heeled aristocracy.

At the end of the day he will get a chance to gain more playing time. Maybe if he can start catching slants he'll start to make his way up the depth chart.

denverYooper
06-05-2016, 09:14 AM
Vertical stress is nice and all, but it doesn't necessarily solve their issues against elite defenses. They need a guy who can take a seam and consistently pry open the cracks. Greg Jennings was great at it.

I'm thinking that Montgomery will be the #3 if healthy. He showed some nice hands, an ability to get open quickly and plenty of speed to stress the opposing defense.

pbmax
06-05-2016, 09:15 AM
If Nelson's comment was in response to a specific question about Janis, it can be read as an implied criticism of Janis' preparation, focus and effort. If it was in answer to a general question about what it takes to become a key member of the WR corps, or what it took him to get where he is, it means nothing with respect to Janis specifically.

I don't recall the specific time or place, but I believe his own QB pointed out his efforts in practice last year. I think the head coach did too.

Given his popularity and seventh round status, Janis isn't going to get called out directly unless he falls further behind.

KYPack
06-05-2016, 09:29 AM
Man, don't remember anything about Adams.

Barry Smith?

Yeah, maybe the biggest flop receiver (outside of the Ferg) ever.

Joemailman
06-05-2016, 10:10 AM
Vertical stress is nice and all, but it doesn't necessarily solve their issues against elite defenses. They need a guy who can take a seam and consistently pry open the cracks. Greg Jennings was great at it.

I'm thinking that Montgomery will be the #3 if healthy. He showed some nice hands, an ability to get open quickly and plenty of speed to stress the opposing defense.

Monty's an interesting guy. Little bit of Cobb. Maybe a little bit of Jennings. Lot of parts with this WR group. It'll be interesting to see how it all fits together.

ThunderDan
06-05-2016, 11:49 AM
Janis is clearly the better player, but if Adams is healthy, I wouldn't put it past the coaching staff to prop him up and put Janis on the shelf again. I hate it when they do that sort of thing. Either way, we're loaded at WR.

Well, he is better at special teams.

The rest is ridiculous.

ThunderDan
06-05-2016, 11:54 AM
Everybody loves the late round WRs. There is a reason they arent drafted in the first 4 rounds. These guys usually are extremely althetic but raw. Some develop, like DD. Most are out of the leagle in a year or two.

run pMc
06-05-2016, 12:22 PM
That's a silly article.
Janis would be lucky to be #4 WR, nevermind the #3. I could see Adams starting out as the #3 and being overtaken by Montgomery.

Janis is a very good athlete, but -- unless he's made strides -- nowhere as developed of a WR as Adams. He'll make his mark on ST and get a few snaps here and there. If he can't figure out the offense and how to run the routes, he'll be a version of Kaseem Osgood.
I'm curious to see how Davis does. He's also got speed to play outside as a deep threat, and probably runs better routes than Janis. There will be a lot of competition for roster spots.

Do they have a Greg Jennings type on the roster right now? Go back and watch the games from the 2010 playoff run and Jennings stands out. I think Adams or Janis are much different players.

Bretsky
06-05-2016, 12:43 PM
If Montgomery is healthy, it could be an interesting competition.

Montgomery to me is a MUCH better route runner; IMO he has the ability to best real NFL CB's.

I think Adams needs to be matchup with with the #3-5 CB on the roster to be effective

Bretsky
06-05-2016, 12:49 PM
I found the article interesting

Buried below all the words to me was an obvious conclusion by the author.

Janis has serious potential and to get that he thinks Janis can offer we should let Janis learn and work through some of the mistakes so in the end, to be honest, we have something Davante Adams offers little of.............upside................

Joemailman
06-05-2016, 12:56 PM
I found the article interesting

Buried below all the words to me was an obvious conclusion by the author.

Janis has serious potential and to get that he thinks we should let Janis learn and work through some of the mistakes so in the end, to be honest, we have something Davante Adams offers little of.............upside................

Janis is entering his 3rd year though. At some point he has to show he knows the offense. There are tons of WR's who have lots of physical talent who don't make it in the NFL because they can't handle the mental part of the game. It's time for Janis to show he can be trusted to run his assignments correctly.

Patler
06-05-2016, 06:52 PM
I think the issue with Janis is simple, he is still learning how to run routes. Even he admitted that he didn't really run routes in college, he just took off and beat guys with speed. His first year they said he struggled getting off the LOS against anyone in his face. Last year they said at times he trashed DBs who tried that, but was inconsistent. I suspect his work as a gunner on the punt team has helped in that regard.

Speaking of STs Chris Banjo made the comment that no one was surprised when things started clicking for Janis on STs, because he asked questions constantly and he was passionate about wanting to excel at whatever he was given to do.

We know he is smart, as I recall his Wonderlic score was in the 30's. Of course, that doesn't make him football smart.

Maybe he never will learn the nuances of a good route runner, so maybe he is destined to be a special teams stud who gives you a big, strong and fast 4th or 5th receiver, and there is nothing wrong with that.

One thing is for certain, he makes things happen even as a WR. He may not look refined, but he seems to have a knack for creating yardage, last year even by drawing long PI calls. Maybe he is not a guy you can build an offense around because of inconsistency, but he looks like a guy who should have a few plays designed around him for those times when you need to stir things up a bit

red
06-05-2016, 07:36 PM
i would hope that the positions are not etched in stone before training camp like the title seems to say

you would think any of the guys, if they deserve it, could be the #3 or hell even the #1 if they play better then the guy already ahead of them. no matter it its janis, adams, ty, abby or the rookie

Joemailman
06-05-2016, 09:17 PM
i would hope that the positions are not etched in stone before training camp like the title seems to say

you would think any of the guys, if they deserve it, could be the #3 or hell even the #1 if they play better then the guy already ahead of them. no matter it its janis, adams, ty, abby or the rookie

There may well not be a clear cut #3. There was a period when Jordy/Jones were 3-4 behind Jennings and Driver until Driver declined.

Guiness
06-05-2016, 10:41 PM
Man, don't remember anything about Adams.

Barry Smith?

Yeah, maybe the biggest flop receiver (outside of the Ferg) ever.

Wasn't Ferguson coming on pretty well until that fateful clothesline by the Jax safety or am I just waxing poetic?

Seems to me he had a decent season the year before and had started that year well, but that hit derailed it.

Joemailman
06-05-2016, 11:44 PM
Wasn't Ferguson coming on pretty well until that fateful clothesline by the Jax safety or am I just waxing poetic?

Seems to me he had a decent season the year before and had started that year well, but that hit derailed it.

You're waxing poetic. his best season was in 2003, and the injury occurred in 2006. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/F/FergRo00.htm

Patler
06-06-2016, 12:52 AM
You're waxing poetic. his best season was in 2003, and the injury occurred in 2006. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/F/FergRo00.htm

The Donovan Darius clothesline tackle was in 2004, near the end of the season. He had become a somewhat fearless over the middle receiver, but was never the same after the Darius tackle.

He missed a good part of 2006 with a foot injury.

Pugger
06-06-2016, 07:37 AM
I don't know if Janis deserves the chance to be the #3 more than any other WR on the roster not named Jordy and Cobb. Our #3 will be they guy who wins that spot because of how they perform this summer, nothing more.

pbmax
06-06-2016, 08:02 AM
I root for Janis like I was rooting for Sherrod. If he can make the lineup and play, his gifts immediately make you better because the opponent has to deal with top level athletic traits opposing them. They have to do something to blunt the impact or ignore an advantage in a section of the field. You gain not just a new starter (who is young) but also add something to the field not everyone has.

I hope he proves worthy of the #3 slot, heck, I hope he makes #2 because he is a athletic freak.

But last year's production was based off an offense that wasn't operating normally. It used to be in a car with a radiator problem that you could run the heater to take some heat out of the engine compartment. You could limp along without boiling off all the water to get to help. Like Janis' 2015 production, it works, sometimes too well to be believed. But its not ideal, optimum nor the intended design of the engineers.

I hope he gets his gets his head on straight.

Patler
06-06-2016, 08:06 AM
What Janis deserves is a fair opportunity to earn the #3 spot or the #4 spot. Some think he hasn't been given that, or that he won't be given that. I have to say, in the second half of 2015, with Montgomery out and no other WR making any sort of positive impact at all, I thought MM should have given both Abbrederis and Janis more game opportunities to see if they could do anything. However, at this point MM knows he needs WRs who will step up and perform during games, and I doubt very much that he cares in what round the WR was acquired.

That said, I do think a coach can put too much emphasis on "earning it in practice". Generally, I think it is a good philosophy, but there are some players who, for whatever reason, are not particularly good practice players, but do perform in actual games. I think Janis has enough physical advantages and has shown enough game time flashes to be given an honest opportunity in games to see if he is one of those players.

Zool
06-06-2016, 08:29 AM
Click bait article. Just shoddy journalism.

hoosier
06-06-2016, 09:43 AM
I root for Janis like I was rooting for Sherrod. If he can make the lineup and play, his gifts immediately make you better because the opponent has to deal with top level athletic traits opposing them. They have to do something to blunt the impact or ignore an advantage in a section of the field. You gain not just a new starter (who is young) but also add something to the field not everyone has.

I hope he proves worthy of the #3 slot, heck, I hope he makes #2 because he is a athletic freak.

But last year's production was based off an offense that wasn't operating normally. It used to be in a car with a radiator problem that you could run the heater to take some heat out of the engine compartment. You could limp along without boiling off all the water to get to help. Like Janis' 2015 production, it works, sometimes too well to be believed. But its not ideal, optimum nor the intended design of the engineers.

I hope he gets his gets his head on straight.

Are you saying that blasting the heat is no longer a remedy for overheating engine?

pbmax
06-06-2016, 09:49 AM
Are you saying that blasting the heat is no longer a remedy for overheating engine?

Its been such a long time since I last employed the technique, that I am not sure it still works. I doubt the heating coil has changed that much, but I also believed that the cabin air filter was an attempt to pry $45 out of my wallet for no reason.

Imagine my surprise when I finally changed that thing and it clearly had been hard at work, keeping leaves, stones and seed pods from shooting out of the air vents.

But back on topic

#BuckleDownJeffJanis

Pugger
06-06-2016, 12:24 PM
What Janis deserves is a fair opportunity to earn the #3 spot or the #4 spot. Some think he hasn't been given that, or that he won't be given that. I have to say, in the second half of 2015, with Montgomery out and no other WR making any sort of positive impact at all, I thought MM should have given both Abbrederis and Janis more game opportunities to see if they could do anything. However, at this point MM knows he needs WRs who will step up and perform during games, and I doubt very much that he cares in what round the WR was acquired.

That said, I do think a coach can put too much emphasis on "earning it in practice". Generally, I think it is a good philosophy, but there are some players who, for whatever reason, are not particularly good practice players, but do perform in actual games. I think Janis has enough physical advantages and has shown enough game time flashes to be given an honest opportunity in games to see if he is one of those players.

I suspect MM and his staff place a lot of value and reward players who perform well in practice with playing time. Perhaps Janis is the type of player who can struggle at times in practice but shine on game days?

Tony Oday
06-06-2016, 01:11 PM
He does not deserve anything, he has to earn it and if he can't run routes three years in we shall see you on the Raiders Eventually.

Rutnstrut
06-06-2016, 07:27 PM
He does not deserve anything, he has to earn it and if he can't run routes three years in we shall see you on the Raiders Eventually.

Adams can't catch the ball so he should be gone as well.

Patler
06-06-2016, 07:45 PM

The #3 WR spot should be a wide open competition. It should be nobody's spot to lose, and anyone's spot to win.

Patler
06-06-2016, 08:01 PM
This should help:

Jeff Janis, shuffling some 60 yards downfield, tracked Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers’ pass like a center fielder Monday afternoon.

He had beaten Sam Shields, running two, three strides past the Packers' top cornerback as Rodgers escaped the pocket. With Rodgers’ pass nearly scraping the Don Hutson Center’s ceiling, Shields scrambled to recover. He closed on Janis just in time to jump for the football, mirroring a point guard boxing out for the rebound.

What happened next was the clearest déjà vu. With Janis and Shields both in the air near the left sideline, Rodgers’ pass bounced off Shields’ hands. The football deflected straight in the air as Shields fell to the ground. Janis settled underneath it.

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2016/06/06/janis-taking-steps-earn-rodgers-trust/85533982/

pbmax
06-06-2016, 09:21 PM
He is still under-throwing Janis. Gotta get that figured out. :lol:

pbmax
06-06-2016, 09:22 PM

If it continues, I agree. But I think the numbers last year weren't as catastrophic for him as it looked at times. The whole team was down due to problems getting open and Rodgers inaccuracy.

We'll see.

MadtownPacker
06-07-2016, 01:35 AM
Bretsky can't make post that aren't just links and hating so he should be gone as well.

Striker
06-07-2016, 01:51 PM
He is still under-throwing Janis. Gotta get that figured out. :lol:

I think its the shock from not having to compensate for Richard Rodgers/James Jones/Eddie Lacy speeds.

pbmax
06-08-2016, 08:30 AM
More Janis: This time from those who hope he will succeed.

“I need to see it in practice. I’ve said it for a long time. I need to see those type of plays in practice. Had I seen that play in practice last year, I wouldn’t have been so apprehensive about the Hail Mary at the end of the season when the ball was in the air,” Rodgers said with a smile. “Those are important plays for those guys to get and make and feel better about.”

He closed an OTA session with a spectacular grab over and through Shields, with the ball bouncing off Shields first and then the People's Champion hauling it in for a TD.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/74544/packers-aaron-rodgers-hopeful-jeff-janis-can-deliver-on-potential

pbmax
06-08-2016, 08:31 AM
I think its the shock from not having to compensate for Richard Rodgers/James Jones/Eddie Lacy speeds.

That's a Triple Crown post right there. Its true, its funny and I wish I had thought of it.

+1

pbmax
06-08-2016, 08:41 AM
More from Wilde at that ESPN link

“It’s about route-running and taking that jump in a comfort level out there,” Rodgers said. “When he can stop thinking so much and react more, you see the athletic ability. He’s obviously gifted very well with his athleticism, his jumping ability and his speed. He just needs to get to a level where he’s not thinking as much and his instincts take over.”

Patler
06-08-2016, 08:49 AM

He closed an OTA session with a spectacular grab over and through Shields, with the ball bouncing off Shields first and then the People's Champion hauling it in for a TD.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/74544/packers-aaron-rodgers-hopeful-jeff-janis-can-deliver-on-potential

Shields saw the grab by Janis a bit differently:

Midway through practice in the Don Hutson Center on Monday, quarterback Aaron Rodgers aired out a nice deep ball that receiver Jeff Janis plucked from the air over Shields. But had this been a real game, the speedy, nimble Shields would have played the defense much differently.

"I would have had that," Shields said. He was not joking. "I would have had it. Trust me."

Patler
06-08-2016, 08:59 AM
I think Rodgers overplays his role as gatekeeper. I am tired of hearing him talk about how his teammates must achieve his blessing before they can expect to be incorporated into the offense. I'm tired of MM apparently granting this power to Rodgers, just as I tired of Sherman deferring to Favre. One of the things I liked about MM when he came was that he reduced the kid-glove treatment Favre had been receiving. Now, I see him falling into the same trap with Rodgers.

Pugger
06-08-2016, 09:28 AM
Do you think he is becoming Favre like? He speaks of getting on the same page with guys but didn't he do that a couple of years back with Finley and those 2 were making noise in games before JM got hurt? I doubt MM will give Rodgers his own office and shower.

Deputy Nutz
06-08-2016, 09:31 AM
Billy Schroeder and Favre had a very difficult relationship, but Favre had to make it work with Schroeder at the time because the depth at receiver was limited. Janis is very comparable to Schroeder. Both had/has athleticism, small school white kids, both played well on special teams, and both struggled to adapt to an NFL offense. I think Schroeder had an attitude though, for some reason that guy that he deserved more of everything. From what I remember he was quite high on himself.

Janis will get what he deserves. If he is doing everything he is supposed to, he will get playing time. The issue right now is that the Packers don't have a clear cut #3 receiver to compliment Nelson and Cobb. Adams has to prove it, Janis has to prove it, Montgomery is still injured and is more of a slot guy anyways. Abbey runs great routes but his injury history and his small frame make it seem really hard to commit a roster spot to this guy when it will be difficult for him to make it through a season. The guy has like 3-4 concussions in college and the NFL. All you here about is the depth at wide receiver but when you don't have a clear cut #3 because guys under performed last year doesn't scream depth to me. Last year with Nelson being out was an opportunity for guys to step up and the opposite happened.

Patler
06-08-2016, 10:01 AM
.... Janis is very comparable to Schroeder. ....

... All you here about is the depth at wide receiver but when you don't have a clear cut #3 because guys under performed last year doesn't scream depth to me. Last year with Nelson being out was an opportunity for guys to step up and the opposite happened.

There are similarities between Schroeder and Janis, but Janis is already showing a knack for success in the dramatic. I don't recall Schroeder doing that much. For that reason I have more hope for Janis.

I agree about the #3 spot, but you have to consider how much injuries to others impacted their abilities to step up in Nelson's absence. That's why I have said over and over, the situation screamed for giving a few more game opportunities to Abbrederis and Janis, to see if they could make a difference. To the extent that AR influenced that because either hadn't proved it in practice, I think it is a shame. There are always a few athletes who are "gamers", who play markedly better in games than in practice. If you don't give them opportunities, you will never identify who they are. So far, Janis has made things happen whenever given actual opportunities, whether that has been as a return man, coverage guy or WR. He has made a lot of dramatic, positive plays in all three areas.

Deputy Nutz
06-08-2016, 10:35 AM
Janis is explosive, I prefaced the Favre and Schroeder relationship to counter the Rodgers and Janis relationship. Favre tried to bond with Schroeder off the field who was a talented athlete but struggled adapting to the NFL. Rodgers is holding Janis accountable in the media which is a no no.

The Packers need to utilize Janis's abilities and either as a #3 or specific opportunities in games that they can get the ball in his hands. Abbrederis had to stay healthy last year and he would have received the opportunities.

pbmax
06-08-2016, 10:38 AM
In that article, Van Pelt talked about taking a different approach to the young WRs this year from the QB room. I think he is trying to talk Rodgers out of the floor manager role.

You have 3 different coaches talking about Janis making steady but not spectacular strides in carrying out his responsibilities in practice. I think its more likely the Rodgers is reflecting his coaches than the other way around. Nelson also seems to confirm this indirectly.

I do think M3 has ceded too much responsibility to Rodgers on play calling and audibles in the no huddle. But that is more a matter of game management (and play clock management) than roster management.

Patler
06-08-2016, 10:54 AM
Janis is explosive, I prefaced the Favre and Schroeder relationship to counter the Rodgers and Janis relationship. Favre tried to bond with Schroeder off the field who was a talented athlete but struggled adapting to the NFL. Rodgers is holding Janis accountable in the media which is a no no.

The Packers need to utilize Janis's abilities and either as a #3 or specific opportunities in games that they can get the ball in his hands. Abbrederis had to stay healthy last year and he would have received the opportunities.

I thought they were looking more at Abbrederis. He had opportunities, then had a bad drop and you didn't see him again for a couple games. It just seemed like mistakes from them weren't tolerated, while Adams was given 2nd chances time and time again.

After Montgomery was out, and Jones dinged up, with Adams hurt and/or failing to come through, they should have designed a few opportunities in each game for Abbrederis/Janis. The few times Janis did play, he ended up staying in as a blocker most of the time.

Maybe this is another example of MM playing not to lose, rather than playing to win. Just as we complain about him of playing too conservatively at the ends of games, he didn't seem to be willing to take any type of chance with Janis as a receiver. The potential for Janis to use his size and speed to make a big play seemed to be outweighed by MM's fear that he could make a mistake.

call_me_ishmael
06-08-2016, 10:54 AM
"Schroeder says he posted a 44-inch vertical leap and ran the 40-yard dash in 4.26 seconds at the combine." Wow, Billy was white lightening.

Patler
06-08-2016, 11:02 AM
"Schroeder says he posted a 44-inch vertical leap and ran the 40-yard dash in 4.26 seconds at the combine." Wow, Billy was white lightening.

Funny that his name never comes up in discussions of all-time tryout bests in either category.
Perhaps he is "misremembering" just a little from a time when data is not readily available?

Deputy Nutz
06-08-2016, 11:05 AM
I thought they were looking more at Abbrederis. He had opportunities, then had a bad drop and you didn't see him again for a couple games. It just seemed like mistakes from them weren't tolerated, while Adams was given 2nd chances time and time again.

After Montgomery was out, and Jones dinged up, with Adams hurt and/or failing to come through, they should have designed a few opportunities in each game for Abbrederis/Janis. The few times Janis did play, he ended up staying in as a blocker most of the time.

Maybe this is another example of MM playing not to lose, rather than playing to win. Just as we complain about him of playing too conservatively at the ends of games, he didn't seem to be willing to take any type of chance with Janis as a receiver. The potential for Janis to use his size and speed to make a big play seemed to be outweighed by MM's fear that he could make a mistake.

When Monty went down I thought that Abbdrederis came off the practice squad. He had a drop verse SD and then get bruised ribs towards the end of the game. I don't remember the exact drop other than it was pretty crucial and on third down.

pbmax
06-08-2016, 11:15 AM

I think the bolded is a pretty close call. Nothing Rodgers (or Nelson or the coaches) have said has moved beyond boilerplate. They have said similar things about Adams, Monty, Abby and Rodgers. We have no specifics about what aspect of practice or classroom Janis is inconsistent with. Janis is a public issue because he does something remarkable once per month. Once per week in the preseason. So its an obvious line of questioning for the media and the public.

Favre gave Ferguson and Schroeder a lot of room, though he finally went public with Ferguson during one off-season, pointing out that he had to get his assignments straight at practice. Might happen with Janis, but even last year, the details of not connecting with Rodgers was all by inference.

I took Van Pelt's comments in the ESPN article to be about meeting room questions and private conversations. But that is just a guess.

Patler
06-08-2016, 11:20 AM
When Monty went down I thought that Abbdrederis came off the practice squad. He had a drop verse SD and then get bruised ribs towards the end of the game. I don't remember the exact drop other than it was pretty crucial and on third down.

I think Abbrederis came off PS when Adams was injured. Montgomery went down a few weeks later.

I was thinking af a drop he had later in the season, early in a game in which he had a fair number of targets. After the drop, he didn't play. After the game, MM mentioned the drop and said substitution patterns during a game are determined by early in the game performance. Of course, this doesn't explain why Adams didn't see playing time reductions in several games.

pbmax
06-08-2016, 11:20 AM
I think Abby had a concussion at the end of camp, missed the first four games. Came back to play (Week 5,6,7,9). Got hurt at Detroit, came back for Weeks 12, 13, 14, 15 and 16.

EDIT: concussion was earlier, he was waived and then signed to PS at start of season.

Deputy Nutz
06-08-2016, 11:21 AM
I follow

Patler
06-08-2016, 11:40 AM
Abbrederis' first objective has to be to stay healthy during training camp. He didn't have a training camp at all during his first year, and had a very abbreviated one last year. He continued with injuries throughout the season. With his physical build, college injury history and continued injuries his first two NFL seasons, I don't expect the Packers to have a lot of patience with him. Too many others to waste too much on him.

Fritz
06-08-2016, 11:57 AM
I think Rodgers overplays his role as gatekeeper. I am tired of hearing him talk about how his teammates must achieve his blessing before they can expect to be incorporated into the offense. I'm tired of MM apparently granting this power to Rodgers, just as I tired of Sherman deferring to Favre. One of the things I liked about MM when he came was that he reduced the kid-glove treatment Favre had been receiving. Now, I see him falling into the same trap with Rodgers.

I think Mad would do well to emulate Rodgers. Make us all run our practice posts by him before we're allowed to post anything in the real thread.

esoxx
06-08-2016, 12:55 PM

So they did bring back Kuhn after all.

MadtownPacker
06-08-2016, 11:29 PM
I think Mad would do well to emulate Rodgers. Make us all run our practice posts by him before we're allowed to post anything in the real thread.I recall a conversation with the Bluedog about having a proving grounds area of sorts. New posters would show would be required to show what they had to gain access to post in the Packers area. He came down from the mountain top and decides it was not cool. He wanted to view all poster like in a ant farm. I grinned and agreed with my White master.

HarveyWallbangers
06-09-2016, 01:21 AM
Billy Schroeder and Favre had a very difficult relationship, but Favre had to make it work with Schroeder at the time because the depth at receiver was limited. Janis is very comparable to Schroeder. Both had/has athleticism, small school white kids, both played well on special teams, and both struggled to adapt to an NFL offense. I think Schroeder had an attitude though, for some reason that guy that he deserved more of everything. From what I remember he was quite high on himself.

Janis will get what he deserves. If he is doing everything he is supposed to, he will get playing time. The issue right now is that the Packers don't have a clear cut #3 receiver to compliment Nelson and Cobb. Adams has to prove it, Janis has to prove it, Montgomery is still injured and is more of a slot guy anyways. Abbey runs great routes but his injury history and his small frame make it seem really hard to commit a roster spot to this guy when it will be difficult for him to make it through a season. The guy has like 3-4 concussions in college and the NFL. All you here about is the depth at wide receiver but when you don't have a clear cut #3 because guys under performed last year doesn't scream depth to me. Last year with Nelson being out was an opportunity for guys to step up and the opposite happened.

I've made the comparison to Schroeder before. Their careers are taking an eerily similar path--although Janis has already proven his worth on ST.

I don't think #3 is an issue. Somebody will step up. Hopefully, just from staying healthy. I think they have a lot of good candidates to fill the position. I don't think the fact that there's no clear cut one makes it an issue. I like their three deep depth chart at outside WR with Nelson, Adams, and Janis (with Nelson having the ability to play in the slot) and their three deep depth chart at slot WR with Cobb, Montgomery, and Abbrederis (with Cobb having the ability to play outside). Davis is a wild card. He has the deep speed to be an outside WR, but his size would indicate quick, slot WR.

Zool
06-09-2016, 08:39 AM
I've made the comparison to Schroeder before. Their careers are taking an eerily similar path--although Janis has already proven his worth on ST.

I don't think #3 is an issue. Somebody will step up. Hopefully, just from staying healthy. I think they have a lot of good candidates to fill the position. I don't think the fact that there's no clear cut one makes it an issue. I like their three deep depth chart at outside WR with Nelson, Adams, and Janis (with Nelson having the ability to play in the slot) and their three deep depth chart at slot WR with Cobb, Montgomery, and Abbrederis (with Cobb having the ability to play outside). Davis is a wild card. He has the deep speed to be an outside WR, but his size would indicate quick, slot WR.

In my head, I keep thinking of him as an Emmanuel Sanders type guy, but it turns out he's either 2 or 3 inches taller than Sanders. ESPN lists Davis as 6-2. Is that right?

Patler
06-09-2016, 09:07 AM
dp

Patler
06-09-2016, 09:09 AM
In my head, I keep thinking of him as an Emmanuel Sanders type guy, but it turns out he's either 2 or 3 inches taller than Sanders. ESPN lists Davis as 6-2. Is that right?

Davis is listed at 6'1" on most sites, supposedly at the combine they measured him at 6' 1-1/8". He has some height,

I'm starting to back away from some of the hype on Davis. A consistent remark about him is that he has very good top end speed but accelerates slowly. He is said to be slow out of breaks, needing several steps to generate speed. These are consistent with his reputation as an accomplished long jumper, where they build speed more slowly than a true sprinter. Numerous reports say he will be a valuable kick returner, and more of a one-trick pony as a receiver.

Whether the Packers keep him on the 53 man roster or try to get him to the practice squad may depend on whether they decide to use him as their primary kickoff returner, or someone else like Montgomery or Janis.

He very well could be a preseason game star, getting open deep for bombs from Hundley, working against defensive backs that won't be making anyone's roster. Fans will clamor for him to make the Packers final roster, and will be upset when he doesn't.

Bretsky
06-09-2016, 09:17 AM
Everybody sells Abby short; if he stays healthy he makes the team and contributes IMO

pbmax
06-09-2016, 09:20 AM
Everybody sells Abby short; if he stays healthy he makes the team and contributes IMO

So you are saying he starts the year on IR? :lol:

gbgary
06-09-2016, 10:25 AM
number 3? he's fighting for the 5 or 6 spot.

Patler
06-09-2016, 10:25 AM

The problem is, nothing in his history gives me any confidence that will happen.

When he was drafted, I said I expected he would hang around for a few years, be injured often and ultimately be released without making any significant impact. I will stick with that opinion. I recognize that he has talent, I just don't think his body will allow him to use it in the NFL