PDA

View Full Version : Who is the Packers' "Sleeper" Pick?

Patler
06-08-2016, 10:40 AM
The National Football Post is doing a series of articles, by divisions, to identify the "sleeper" pick on each team. Their definition is the third day draft choice having the biggest impact, so we are looking at rounds 4-7. They have not yet gotten to the NFC North, but I suspect it is their next article since they have done AFC East, NFC East and now AFC North.

So, who will the Packers "sleeper" be? Martinez seems to be the logical choice, since he is a decently ranked player playing the position and having the skills corresponding to a significant team need.

Keep in mind they aren't looking at impact this year, but looking back at the draft years later.

Any support for Lowry, Davis or Murphy looking at it 5 years from now?

call_me_ishmael
06-08-2016, 10:51 AM
I perceive that people have really high expectations for Blake Martinez. He is mentioned as much as any rookie on the radio. Probably because it's a position of need. Everyone says he quite articulate and a great interview, too, so I think that adds a bit to it.

Deputy Nutz
06-08-2016, 11:06 AM
I would be expecting one of the Stanford guys to make an impact sooner or later.

Fritz
06-08-2016, 11:58 AM
I hope it's Martinez but I think it will be Davis.

esoxx
06-08-2016, 12:56 PM
Davis

Zool
06-08-2016, 12:57 PM
Davis and before camp is over he needs a moniker. His name is too generic. Maybe we call him TD?

esoxx
06-08-2016, 02:47 PM
Certainly not! Too many flashbacks of Terrell (TD) Davis running wild over a winded GB defense in Super Bowl XXXII.

Joemailman
06-08-2016, 05:36 PM
Short term it will be Martinez simply because he will probably be on the field more than the others. He plays a position of need, and could start as a rookie. Davis may be no more than the #6 WR this year.

Iron Mike
06-08-2016, 09:41 PM
Fackrell.

HarveyWallbangers
06-09-2016, 01:14 AM
Fackrell.

3rd round pick

Murphy and Lowry seem like good depth players long-term. High floor, low ceiling.

I'll take Martinez over Davis.

Zool
06-09-2016, 08:36 AM
Certainly not! Too many flashbacks of Terrell (TD) Davis running wild over a winded GB defense in Super Bowl XXXII.

Damn you're right. Back to the drawing board.

hoosier
06-09-2016, 11:22 AM
One of the undrafted free agents.

Patler
06-09-2016, 12:21 PM
One of the undrafted free agents.

Not a bad pick, but it doesn't count unless you give us a name! :-)

hoosier
06-10-2016, 07:51 AM
Brian Price

Cheesehead Craig
06-10-2016, 08:06 AM
Mike Sherman, the Ultimate Sleeper

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_7OC0YbG2fek/R0rPdDaAWNI/AAAAAAAAD00/TsGIUkEw_kg/s400/mikeshermansleeping.jpg

Patler
06-10-2016, 10:34 AM
Mike Sherman, the Ultimate Sleeper

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_7OC0YbG2fek/R0rPdDaAWNI/AAAAAAAAD00/TsGIUkEw_kg/s400/mikeshermansleeping.jpg

Should have seen that one coming! :lol: :lol:

swede
06-10-2016, 04:03 PM
I like Lowry as a sleeper because teams seemed to have allowed the short arms thing to distract them from the excellent tape the player had produced, including the amazing fact that he got those short arms on the football a total of fourteen times over his career with deflections, batted passes and picks. Not bad for a guy who could have a career in the sideshows as the Alligator Boy.

Like Martinez who went just before him, Lowry may get considerable playing time early in his rookie season and then give the coaches no reason not to give him more. He is a smart and active football player who--in a way--went where he was "supposed" to go because he has the same arm length as guys six inches shorter than he is. But the tape suggests he has the tools to be a highly productive player.

texaspackerbacker
06-12-2016, 07:14 AM
Fackrell - with Matthews back on the outside and getting a lot of attention, the guy giving Peppers relief on the other side should have a golden opportunity - if in fact that's where he ends up.

Patler
06-12-2016, 08:02 AM
Fackrell - with Matthews back on the outside and getting a lot of attention, the guy giving Peppers relief on the other side should have a golden opportunity - if in fact that's where he ends up.

Not eligible. "Sleepers" are to be last day draft picks, 4th round or later.

texaspackerbacker
06-12-2016, 10:58 AM
Not eligible. "Sleepers" are to be last day draft picks, 4th round or later.

Yeah, I suppose you could draw the line there. 6th or 7th round better yet, as those 3rd and 4th rounders are pretty much expected to be good. My standard, though, would be exceeding expectations. If you want a very low round or UDFA pick who IMO is most likely to make the team, it is Mortell, the punter. Also, a real long shot is a name I was surprised to see on the tryout list that I had a high opinion of in college: Gary Nova of Rutgers - probably just a camp QB, but IMO as likely as Callahan or Williams to be the 3rd/practice squad QB.

Patler
06-12-2016, 01:35 PM
Yeah, I suppose you could draw the line there. 6th or 7th round better yet, as those 3rd and 4th rounders are pretty much expected to be good. My standard, though, would be exceeding expectations. If you want a very low round or UDFA pick who IMO is most likely to make the team, it is Mortell, the punter. Also, a real long shot is a name I was surprised to see on the tryout list that I had a high opinion of in college: Gary Nova of Rutgers - probably just a camp QB, but IMO as likely as Callahan or Williams to be the 3rd/practice squad QB.

FYI - Its not me drawing the line at 4th round and lower. In the post starting this, I referred to a series being written by NFP, in which they are looking at each teams potential "sleeper", which they defined as a Day 3 pick. They haven't gotten to the NFC North, yet, but I think it will be next for them.

PaCkFan_n_MD
06-13-2016, 07:04 AM
Pete Mortell. I think he beats out Masthay

Patler
06-13-2016, 09:49 AM
Pete Mortell. I think he beats out Masthay

I don't know what to think of Masthay's 2015 performance. During the season, it "felt" like he performed poorly. yet at the end of the season he had destroyed the Packers record for net punting average, beating it by a full yard. The record stood for 50 years before Masthay broke it. Kind of hard to bet against that, I think.

Joemailman
06-13-2016, 10:57 AM
I don't know what to think of Masthay's 2015 performance. During the season, it "felt" like he performed poorly. yet at the end of the season he had destroyed the Packers record for net punting average, beating it by a full yard. The record stood for 50 years before Masthay broke it. Kind of hard to bet against that, I think.

For Mortell to beat out Masthay he'll have to prove he's at least as good a holder as Masthay. The Packers will not risk losing a close game or 2 due to bad holds so that they can get a couple extra yards per punt.

pbmax
06-13-2016, 02:36 PM
Masthay is about 20th is yards per punt in his career versus his peers.

The Packers were 12th in Net Punts in 2015. He either got amazing at directionally kicking in one year or the ST punt coverage got a lot better.

Joemailman
06-13-2016, 05:08 PM

The Packers were 12th in Net Punts in 2015. He either got amazing at directionally kicking in one year or the ST punt coverage got a lot better.

Maybe both. He was 4th in punts out of bounds. He was 9th in the number of punts returned (41), but 27th in return yards allowed (174).

Patler
06-14-2016, 03:01 AM

This is why we have to seriously consider the impact of punting in GB. In a year when Masthay beat the Packers record for net average punt, he finished only 14th in the league. It's not like this was some insignificant record, it stood since the 1960's and no one other than Masthay had come close to beating it. He beat it by a full yard in 2015, yet finished only 14th in the league. If he had simply tied the record instead of demolishing it, he would have been 25th in the league.

Bossman641
06-14-2016, 06:56 AM
Masthay was the beneficiary of excellent coverage IMO. I don't have the numbers on hand, but his hang time last year was significantly worse than in the past if I remember right. So it't not like he was hitting a bunch of sky high 40 yard punts in which the returner was surrounded.

Fritz
06-14-2016, 11:36 AM
Masthay was the beneficiary of excellent coverage IMO. I don't have the numbers on hand, but his hang time last year was significantly worse than in the past if I remember right. So it't not like he was hitting a bunch of sky high 40 yard punts in which the returner was surrounded.

I would describe the problem as a lack of consistency. Every fifth punt or so seemed to be of the "shank you very much" variety.

pbmax
06-14-2016, 05:23 PM
I would describe the problem as a lack of consistency. Every fifth punt or so seemed to be of the "shank you very much" variety.

I lean in this direction too. It seems like he was asked to punt directionally and it increased the shank average. If Masthay tends to scatter his kicks normally, he might not be an ideal directional kicker.

Joemailman
06-14-2016, 07:53 PM
I lean in this direction too. It seems like he was asked to punt directionally and it increased the shank average. If Masthay tends to scatter his kicks normally, he might not be an ideal directional kicker.

If he was being asked to punt directionally, couldn't that be an indication that they felt the coverage units ween't all that great?

pbmax
06-14-2016, 10:38 PM
If he was being asked to punt directionally, couldn't that be an indication that they felt the coverage units ween't all that great?

Maybe, but their coverage numbers were so much better I am not sure directional punting can explain it all. Its not like they haven't tried directional before.

call_me_ishmael
06-15-2016, 12:39 AM
I perceive that Mastay was a damn fine punter in the 3-5 year ago window and has dropped off a bit in recent years. No idea if that is factually accurate or not.

run pMc
06-16-2016, 08:52 PM
I assumed Masthay was punting the way Zook wanted him to, shanks excepted, and the way the coverage teams were schemed and played were part of that. I'm guessing the coverage was both simplified and benefited from healthier/more consistent ST lineups each week. I think the shanks opens a window of opportunity for Mortell, but unlike other positions this seems like one where a tie goes to the veteran.

Patler
06-17-2016, 11:16 AM
NFP picked Davis in their article on the NFC North.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/class-sleepers-nfc-north/

woodbuck27
06-19-2016, 07:49 AM

Uuuuggggghhhhhh !

Pugger
06-19-2016, 08:47 AM

I fear that might say more about the state of our punting over the years more than anything else. :???:

pbmax
06-19-2016, 09:04 AM
I think the fact that Masthay has competition tells us what the Packers thought of his year. Unacceptable but probably fixable. Crosby got competition after his horrendous year.

If they wanted him gone, aside from cutting him, he probably gets veteran competition and not an UDFA.

Bretsky
06-19-2016, 06:33 PM
Mortell could really hit a softball well. I went to the Jordy Nelson softball outing.

Some guy with the last name of Henry was outstanding also; I thought TT traded for Hunter Henry but that would have been too good :)))

Joemailman
06-21-2016, 03:24 PM
Mortell could really hit a softball well. I went to the Jordy Nelson softball outing.

Some guy with the last name of Henry was outstanding also; I thought TT traded for Hunter Henry but that would have been too good :)))

Mitchell Henry is a beast. Reports are he had an excellent minicamp. Drink the Koolaid B!

Fritz
06-22-2016, 08:29 AM
Is he still allowed to be a sleeper pick since he was in the NFL last year?

My sleeper pick is somebody whose name we've hardly seen yet. His name has appeared in some list of many people signed or tried out by the Packers. He's such a sleeper none of us have really heard of him at all.

That guy is my sleeper pick.