PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. Gordie Howe

Joemailman
06-10-2016, 04:34 PM
Passed away at the age of 88. His 801 NHL goals is 2nd all-time behind Wayne Gretsky. His 1850 points is 4th behind Gretsky, Mark Messier and Jaromir Jagr. He would be 2nd if he had not played 6 years in the WHA. All told, he played 26 years in the NHL and 6 in the WHA.

I saw him play in his last year at the age of 52 at Chicago Stadium as a member of the Hartford Whalers. His son Mark Howe was a teammate. Although slower, he could still play. He was 7th on the Whalers in points scored that year. Wayne Gretsky has said he considers Howe to be the greatest player ever.

Patler
06-11-2016, 02:40 AM
Amazing hockey player. Phenomenally strong on skates. Guys would check him, and look like they hit a brick wall. One of the games true tough guys even when he was older. Many of the leagues biggest and baddest fighters have remarked that getting their asses kicked by him in a fight was only half of it, if you really got on his list he would proceed to pound on you and pound on you for the rest of the game, or even future games, with physically dominating play that absolutely wore out opponents.

woodbuck27
06-11-2016, 07:53 AM
http://www.tsn.ca/gordie-howe-1928-2016-1.504811

Gordie Howe: 1928-2016

The Canadian Press

Comment woodbuck27:

Mr Hockey has left us in a week where we lost two Legends of Sports; Gordie Howe and Muhammad Ali.

The respect Gordie Howe gets from the Canadian public cannot be surpassed. My best friend idolized Mr. Elboes. Somehow if your 40 years of age or older your certainly feeling this loss as hockey is hugh in this Nation. Gordie Howe will be remembered as a GREAT of Greats in our hockey history.

Records...he has left a mark in terms of scoring that will unlikely be surpassed in terms of a 20 year career. He was much more than records to us. He was about humility and strength and modesty and gratitude for his parents and family and friends. He was all about integrity and giving all he had. He never played a game that he didn't give all he had; he left it all out there on the ice.

Scotty Bowman said it very well (and I paraphrase).

" He was 'the perfect hockey player 'he had the strength the scoring abilty, the offense and defense all down pat...if you wanted to make a mold of the perfect player you'd model it after Gordie Howe. ".

We'll miss that special Gordie Howe smile. My heart is heavy as I write this.

The tributes began pouring in as soon as we learned of his passing. I sat watching TSN after the NBA game and celebrated the life of the Man...Gordie Howe. There will never be another Howe as there will never be another Ali. Both men for many of us a mere thought away.

My boyhood and teen NHL idol was The Big M. Frank Mahovlich. Frank never played better then when he was traded to the Red Wings and played on a line with Gordie Howe and Alex Delvecchio. That line dominated every time it was on the ice. I recall many a night listening intently through the screech of the radio signal as the Red Wings played back then( 1967 - 68 as these three hockey men took control.

A moment to think................

Ohh Boy ! This one is rough......... R.I. P. Gordie Howe.

Fritz
06-11-2016, 03:06 PM
He was a complete player, as evidenced by the Gordie Howe hat trick: A goal, an assist, and a fight.

woodbuck27
06-11-2016, 09:12 PM
This says it all and what Gordie Howe was in comparison with all Pro athletes.

He was nicknamed Mr. Hockey?

Who was nicknamed Mr. Baseball or Mr. Football or Mr. Hockey etc.? Was any other Pro athlete nicknamed after the sport he played?