PDA

View Full Version : James Jones talks about the young'uns at WR

Patler
06-14-2016, 04:26 AM
I found these comments interesting:

“All those guys bring great things to the table,” Jones said. “Davante can be special in this league; he had the injury bug last year [with ankle and knee injuries], which kind of messed him up mentally and physically. I expect him to bounce back. Jeff and ‘Abby’ are just extremely smart and extremely athletic guys. I’m excited to see what they’re going to do with a lot of opportunities.

“And my sleeper is Ty Montgomery. He’s one of those kids that is going to do everything perfect every time. He’s a perfectionist and he’s going to be where he’s supposed to be when he’s supposed to be [there]. He’s extremely smart [and] they can move him around to numerous positions.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/205518/james-jones-advice-to-packers-receivers-build-aaron-rodgers-trust

Will we finally get to see on the field what MM, AR and Jones have told us about Adams? That he can be "special"?

Fritz
06-14-2016, 08:12 AM
I found these comments interesting:

Will we finally get to see on the field what MM, AR and Jones have told us about Adams? That he can be "special"?

Back in the day, where I grew up, being "special" was not considered a good thing. Let's hope that's not what Jones meant.

But seriously, I am the anti-Bretsky on this one. I think Adams will do very well this year. If he stays healthy.

Pugger
06-14-2016, 06:56 PM
WR will be one of the most competitive positions in camp this summer. Unless we keep 6 we are gonna lose one good player who will be snapped up pretty quick by another team in late August including Davis should he not make the cut.

Joemailman
06-14-2016, 07:48 PM
WR will be one of the most competitive positions in camp this summer. Unless we keep 6 we are gonna lose one good player who will be snapped up pretty quick by another team in late August including Davis should he not make the cut.

They'll keep 6, but even then it will be a tough decision if everybody is healthy.

Locks:

Nelson
Cobb
Montgomery

Good bet:

Adams

On the bubble:

Abbrederis
Janis
Davis
Ed Williams

Hoping to make the PS:

Geronimo Allison
Jamel Johnson
Herb Waters

You never know:

James Jones

texaspackerbacker
06-14-2016, 07:58 PM
I've said it before, and I'll say it again, Janis has to be ahead of everybody except Nelson and Cobb. I very much doubt we will keep 7, so somebody good will be lost. I'm in the "Adams should go" camp - unless they IR Montgomery or Abbrederis gets hurt or Davis turns out to be over-hyped.

Rutnstrut
06-14-2016, 08:45 PM
I've said it before, and I'll say it again, Janis has to be ahead of everybody except Nelson and Cobb. I very much doubt we will keep 7, so somebody good will be lost. I'm in the "Adams should go" camp - unless they IR Montgomery or Abbrederis gets hurt or Davis turns out to be over-hyped.

I really hope they don't waste a spot on Adams. But I'm sure they want to watch him drop passes all season again.

Zool
06-14-2016, 11:12 PM
I hope Tex is right. I want to see if Rodgers' head can actually explode with anger on the 7th wrong route in a single game.

Patler
06-15-2016, 02:55 AM
Janis' ST performance alone from last year makes him a virtual lock to make the team. Throw in his potential as a WR, and I think he would have to do something extraordinarily bad to be cut coming out of camp.

When MM, Rodgers and now Jones see uncommon potential in Adams, he will be given another year to prove himself. His rookie year was fine. They won't give up on him from just what happened last year.

hoosier
06-15-2016, 08:03 AM
Nelson, Cobb, Montgomery, Adams are locks. Davis, Janis, Abby are virtual locks. They keep seven unless one of them gets IR'ed or PUPed.

ThunderDan
06-15-2016, 08:29 AM
Janis' ST performance alone from last year makes him a virtual lock to make the team. Throw in his potential as a WR, and I think he would have to do something extraordinarily bad to be cut coming out of camp.

When MM, Rodgers and now Jones see uncommon potential in Adams, he will be given another year to prove himself. His rookie year was fine. They won't give up on him from just what happened last year.

Janis is not going anywhere. Patler is right. Janis is a special teams ace and his performance on ST alone guarantees his spot.

It would be great if Janis could step up and be the #3 WR. I just don't see it happening. Last year he should have been on the field a lot with all of the injuries and wasn't. There has to be a reason for that.

And before the MM critics start throwing out the, "He only plays the guys the Pack drafts high" line; let's not even go there. Football is a results business. Too many losses caused by starting certain players and you lose your job.

gbgary
06-15-2016, 10:43 AM
janis role will be the same as last year. st and one of the last wrs to get on the field.

Pugger
06-15-2016, 11:03 AM

Agreed. He had a bad wheel most of the season and clearly wasn't ready to fill Jordy's shoes. I doubt they'll give up on a 2nd round pick this soon.

Carolina_Packer
06-15-2016, 11:56 AM
Agreed. He had a bad wheel most of the season and clearly wasn't ready to fill Jordy's shoes. I doubt they'll give up on a 2nd round pick this soon.

+1 Fans are annoyed by sophomore slumps, but there are reasons vs. excuses. If the receiving corps stays healthy, I see no reason he can't have the kind of production seen in 2014 with some increased production at that. I want them all to make the decision maker's jobs hard coming out of camp. Who doesn't want the Packer's investment to pay off?

texaspackerbacker
06-15-2016, 12:18 PM
What is a "+1 Fan"?

Adams at the best he could possibly be has a lower ceiling than Janis. It's speculative but probable that Adams at his best has a lower ceiling than Montgomery, Abbrederis, and Davis also. Those last three and I suppose even Janis still need to prove what they can do - as does Adams. I hope it's open competition - no favoritism for the former second round pick.

run pMc
06-16-2016, 09:17 PM
I'm having trouble seeing them keep 7WRs on the roster...I could see them PUP-ing Montgomery and waiting for Abby to get hurt by the time Ty gets activated. I think they'll keep 1-2 WRs on the PS. Janis and Davis will make the roster, but Adams is the #3 until someone unseats him. I think Janis will see more snaps, but it would take a huge leap for him to be the #3WR.

Patler
06-17-2016, 06:19 AM
I'm having trouble seeing them keep 7WRs on the roster...I could see them PUP-ing Montgomery and waiting for Abby to get hurt by the time Ty gets activated. I think they'll keep 1-2 WRs on the PS. Janis and Davis will make the roster, but Adams is the #3 until someone unseats him. I think Janis will see more snaps, but it would take a huge leap for him to be the #3WR.

I, too, have a difficult time finding room for 7 WRs on the roster, especially with all the OL they may want to keep. Tretter, Spriggs, Murphy, Taylor, Rotheram, even a resurgent Barclay could be difficult cuts with all the FAs they will have next year. If it comes down to a 7th WR or a 10th OL, I think I would go with the OL. Rotheram could be the backup center in 2017 if Tretter leaves, or even a starter at guard if Sitton/Lang leaves. Taylor could be a 2017 starter, too. Spriggs and Murphy could be the starting OTs if Bakhtiari leaves and Bulaga is hurt again

I can see 10 OL on the roster more easily than 7 WRs.

10 OL (starters + Tretter, Spriggs, Taylor, Rotheram and either Murphy or Barclay)
3 RB
1 FB
2 QB
3 TE
6 WR

Pugger
06-17-2016, 10:33 AM
What is a "+1 Fan"?

Adams at the best he could possibly be has a lower ceiling than Janis. It's speculative but probable that Adams at his best has a lower ceiling than Montgomery, Abbrederis, and Davis also. Those last three and I suppose even Janis still need to prove what they can do - as does Adams. I hope it's open competition - no favoritism for the former second round pick.

I suspect Carolina meant he agreed with my post. If so he prob should have put more spaces inbetween + and the word Fan.

Pugger
06-17-2016, 11:16 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/383314691.html

gbgary
06-17-2016, 11:14 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/383314691.html

if he can just stay out of the concussion protocol.

Patler
06-18-2016, 03:00 AM
Hopefully, Janis is making progress:

1. Jeff Janis is coming

At this point, it seems clear the former seventh-round receiver will enter training camp locked in a battle to be quarterback Aaron Rodgers’ third option behind Jordy Nelson and Randall Cobb.

If talent wins, Janis will earn that role. When it comes to raw size and speed, there really isn’t much comparison between Janis and other young receivers on the roster. The Packers continually threw deep to Janis in team drills, and he continually beat the likes of cornerbacks Sam Shields and Damarious Randall, and safety Ha Ha Clinton-Dix.

The only thing that can get in his way — and it has been a big hurdle — is lack of chemistry and trust with Rodgers. Janis has to be reliable. He has to prove he’ll be in the right place on the field when he’s supposed to be there. If he cuts out the mistakes, he has a real chance to carve a role for himself in the Packers' passing game.

Coaches have to be intrigued with the possibility of Nelson and Janis stretching the field deep on the perimeter with Cobb working underneath.

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2016/06/17/5-takeaways-packers-offseason-program/86041632/

texaspackerbacker
06-18-2016, 07:15 AM
EXCELLENT! and overdue to at least get a try on the field. This, and Abbrederis looking good, and hopes for the rookie ........ People are talking trades in the other thread. I wonder how much Adams or Montgomery would bring.

Upnorth
06-18-2016, 08:41 AM
Assuming Davis has okay hands, I have I would occasionally like to see Nelson, Janis, Davis to stretch with Cobb and Cook short and intermediate.

pbmax
06-18-2016, 10:52 AM
Unfortunately, we seem to be on year 3 of Janis' needing to cut down on route mistakes.

But what we don't know is perhaps the most important thing: if he is making progress (from typical small school cluelessness to 3rd year just below average error rate), then things look much more promising for him.

Bretsky
06-18-2016, 11:25 PM
MM singing praises for Abby at camp was nice to hear

Time to trade the Fresno Fraud for some Under Armour receivers gloves

Pugger
06-18-2016, 11:51 PM

I doubt MM and company are going to give up on a 2nd round pick this soon. We forget Jordy didn't look so hot his first couple of seasons either.

Bretsky
06-19-2016, 06:53 AM
I doubt MM and company are going to give up on a 2nd round pick this soon. We forget Jordy didn't look so hot his first couple of seasons either.

I agree because he's a 2nd round pick
But I saw plenty of ability in Jordy
I also see a ton of ability in Montgomery

woodbuck27
06-19-2016, 07:42 AM
Our situation @ WR is interesting. The coaches have a good problem deciding on the final roster cuts at this position.

The top four:

1. Nelson
2. Cobb
3. Montgomery

4. Adams has to look great in TC.

The addition of 5a. Davis from the Draft adds the muck and places a lot of heat on 5b. Janis and 5c. Abby. This trio is very athletic and all three have to look better than the top four if all three are to make the final Roster cut.

One of the last four will be a 3 or 4 WR on another NFL Team.

Pugger
06-19-2016, 08:45 AM
I agree because he's a 2nd round pick
But I saw plenty of ability in Jordy
I also see a ton of ability in Montgomery

In 2014 Adams had his moments too. He didn't look too bad in the playoff game in Washington DC either until he hurt himself again. I hope we see more of the 2014 Davante than the 15.

woodbuck27
06-20-2016, 07:55 AM
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4242/james-jones

"I did not expect to still be sitting here without a job," Jones said. "Came off a productive year with the Packers." Jones turned 32 in March and expected to be back with Green Bay, but the Packers are moving on with their younger group.

Joemailman
06-20-2016, 08:07 AM
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4242/james-jones

"I did not expect to still be sitting here without a job," Jones said. "Came off a productive year with the Packers." Jones turned 32 in March and expected to be back with Green Bay, but the Packers are moving on with their younger group.

I'm not sure if he expected to be back with Green Bay, but he expected to be with somebody. He just needs to be patient and stay in shape. He'll get signed by someone.

Patler
06-20-2016, 08:45 AM
I'm not sure if he expected to be back with Green Bay, but he expected to be with somebody. He just needs to be patient and stay in shape. He'll get signed by someone.

There should be a fair number of teams who could do a lot worse than having James Jones on their roster.

Bossman641
06-20-2016, 09:07 AM
I wonder how much of the "Janis will challenge for the 3rd WR spot" is the media just pumping him up.

Patler
06-20-2016, 10:36 AM
I wonder how much of the "Janis will challenge for the 3rd WR spot" is the media just pumping him up.

I think quite a bit. He has to become a reliable contributor who can be called on regularly as a #4 receiver first. Last year MM wasn't willing to go beyond Jones, Cobb and Adams on any regular basis. Janis needs to break into the "rotation" at WR. He needs to force MM to give him snaps that would normally go to Montgomery or Adams, or to give Nelson a break a few plays each game. It will be a vast improvement for him just to get offensive snaps every game, regardless of how few, and to be targeted once or twice each game. He isn't going to leapfrog his way to #3, he will have to build his way there with early season performances, perhaps when Nelson or Montgomery are being brought back slowly.

MadtownPacker
06-20-2016, 09:32 PM

I tried to trade you to a patriots forum for two new posters but belicheat was not willing to let you lick Brady's balls as part of the deal. :lol:

Bretsky
06-20-2016, 10:38 PM
I tried to trade you to a patriots forum for two new posters but belicheat was not willing to let you lick Brady's balls as part of the deal. :lol:

Of course that would mean that my tongue was in the same spot at Giselle's ........lol

Patler
06-21-2016, 07:59 AM
Of course that would mean that my tongue was in the same spot at Giselle's ........lol

Bretsky, this is a whole new side of you! In the past you always fantacized about hot tub parties with multiple WOMEN, didn't you?

Fritz
06-21-2016, 10:28 AM

Dude, I get it that Giselle's hot and all, but man, that's a heavy, heavy price to pay . . .

Zool
06-21-2016, 12:43 PM
Bretsky, this is a whole new side of you! In the past you always fantacized about hot tub parties with multiple WOMEN, didn't you?

It's kinda hard to tell with Brady. He's always in so much makeup, I could see how Bretsky, in his advanced age and deteriorating ocular abilites, might be confused.

Fritz
06-22-2016, 08:27 AM
Withe wide receiver logjam, I wonder if there is any thought to PUP-ing Montgomery and keeping the other six so they'd all have extra time to prove themselves (Adams, Janis) or get hurt (Abby)? We know that NFL teams "stash" players, no matter what they say. And it does sound like Montgomery is coming along a bit slowly - even being ready by training camp sounds like it'll be ready to ease into it.