PDA

View Full Version : Packers fill practice squad, add two

BananaMan
09-04-2006, 01:56 PM
Packers.com:

Re-signing six players and adding two newcomers, the Green Bay Packers Monday assembled their initial 2006 practice squad. Ted Thompson, Executive Vice President, General Manager and Director of Football Operations, announced the signings.

The team has re-signed tight end Zac Alcorn, safety Atari Bigby, cornerback Patrick Dendy, wide receiver Chris Francies, wide receiver Calvin Russell and defensive end Dave Tollefson, all of whom were released in recent preseason roster reductions, to the practice squad.

In addition Monday, the team signed tackle Travis Leffew and fullback Brandon Miree to practice-squad contracts.

Leffew, a 6-foot-4, 292-pound rookie, played with Jason Spitz, Green Bay's third-round selection in the 2006 draft, at Louisville. A four-time all-conference selection in college, he had signed as a non-drafted free agent with Chicago.

Miree, a 6-foot, 236-pound player in his second year out of Pittsburgh, spent all of 2005 on the Broncos practice squad. Denver's seventh-round selection in the 2004 draft, he spent that year on the Broncos' injured reserve. Allocated to NFL Europe before the '05 season, he played for the Rhein Fire.

The Packers have re-assigned Bigby jersey No. 20 and Russell No. 17. Leffew will wear No. 61, while Miree has donned No. 40. All other players will keep the numbers they wore during training camp.
---

Surprised that they decided to not sign Ben Brown. I really liked him.

Tarlam!
09-04-2006, 02:02 PM
Yah, BM, I loved the BB story as well as the guy. Hope he finds his place...

packrulz
09-04-2006, 02:05 PM
That doesn't bode well for Leach. He drops too many passes. I think once Bigby gets that cast off and is ready to play Peprah is gone.

OKC PackerFan
09-04-2006, 02:14 PM
Leffew, a 6-foot-4, 292-pound rookie, played with Jason Spitz, Green Bay's third-round selection in the 2006 draft, at Louisville. A four-time all-conference selection in college, he had signed as a non-drafted free agent with Chicago.

We picked him up because it's Bear Week, he knows the playbook. :wink:

bbbffl66
09-04-2006, 02:21 PM

We picked him up because it's Bear Week, he knows the playbook. :wink:

The Bear playbook is only 2 pages!!!

GrnBay007
09-04-2006, 02:22 PM
The Bear playbook is only 2 pages!!!

LOL good 1!!

BallHawk
09-04-2006, 02:27 PM
I'm surprised Brewster isn't on there. Was he claimed by someone else or something?

GBRulz
09-04-2006, 06:15 PM
YAY, glad to see Alcorn is on the PS at least. He shows alot of promise....and EC :wink:

FritzDontBlitz
09-04-2006, 06:19 PM
I'm surprised Brewster isn't on there. Was he claimed by someone else or something?

i'm kinda wondering the same thing. brewster made more noise in two weeks than francies and russell did thru the entire preseason, apparently muffing one punt trumps all other production combined.....