PDA

View Full Version : Official 2016 Training Camp Thread

Pages : [1] 2

Joemailman
07-24-2016, 05:17 PM
Players report Monday July 25.

First practice Tuesday July 26

Schedule: http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/training-camp/practice-schedule.html

Family Night Sunday July 31

4 evening practices, including 3 during the 2nd week of practice.

Some things to watch for:

Will Jordy be the Jordy of old, or will he be old Jordy?

Has Lacy won the Battle Of The Bulge?

When will we see Ty Montgomery?

Will Arod throw to Janis?

Reports of DickRod being slimmed down. Will he be quicker?

Will Spriggs push Bakhtiari at LT?

Will a slimmed-down Sitton be quicker? Will he be weaker?

Will Kenny Clark look like an instant contributor?

Will the ILB's look ready to play without CMIII?

Will the young CB's look like they've made the coveted 2nd year jump?

Rutnstrut
07-24-2016, 07:23 PM
My biggest wishes are that the defense plays better in crucial games. That Janis learns more than one route and that Rogers actually trusts him.

Iron Mike
07-25-2016, 07:42 AM
I'm thinking about heading over on Saturday. :)

pbmax
07-25-2016, 11:21 AM
Opening Press Conference: News is not good on offense, M3 has gone 3/4 Schottenheimer. I hope he is just blowing PR smoke. Rodgers and Nelson are good enough to make this work, but the offense will not hum like 2011 or 2014 with just an emphasis on fundamentals.

Michael Cohen @Michael_Cohen13
McCarthy said the coaches "took a hard look" at the offense after 2015. "We need to be much better offensively in the area of fundamentals."

Doug Farrar ‏@BR_DougFarrar
Fundamentals worked in 1979. In 2016, vs multiple disguised coverages, man/zone hybrids, you have to scheme WR open.

And the rest chronologically:

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 53m53 minutes ago
McCarthy: No update on who will/won't practice tomorrow. #PackersCamp

WON'T KNOW UNTIL LATER TODAY AFTER PHYSICALS

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 49m49 minutes ago
McCarthy: Our veteran group could be one of the best ones we've had. #PackersCamp

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 47m47 minutes ago
McCarthy on HOF Game: Creates another challenge for your team, which I'm excited about. Excited to see how they respond.

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 48m48 minutes ago
McCarthy said the installation phase won't be completed by the time the #Packers play in the Hall of Fame game.

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 46m46 minutes ago
The extended training camp allows the #Packers to do more with cross training and competitive measures in the classroom and on the field.

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 44m44 minutes ago
McCarthy on the investigation of Matthews and Peppers: "I have no reason to be concerned based on the conversations that I've been part of."

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 43m43 minutes ago
McCarthy on Greg Jennings' retirement: Excellent football player, obviously a Super Bowl champion. Lot of great memories from his time here.

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 39m39 minutes ago
McCarthy on #Packers QB Aaron Rodgers: "He's in great shape. I would say this is the best shape I've seen him in."

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 35m35 minutes ago
McCarthy on Rodgers-Nelson: We're all confident, Aaron & Jordy included, that they're going to get (chemistry) back. #PackersCamp

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 57m57 minutes ago
McCarthy on centers. Will it be a battle? Says Tretter is excellent and is viewed as starter. "No reason" to not consider Linsley a starter.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 54m54 minutes ago
McCarthy said team will go in pads on Thursday.

pbmax
07-25-2016, 11:48 AM
Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 52m52 minutes ago
MM on another camp: "This is exciting. You're talking about the NFL, the Green Bay Packers. We like the opportunity that's in front of us."

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 51m51 minutes ago
Does offense need to be fixed? Took hard look at it. Will go back to basics. "We need to be much better (with) fundamentals."

"It's about winning the world championship. It's part of our every-day fiber."

Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 49m49 minutes ago
McCarthy on Aaron Rodgers: "I think he's lined up for a great year. ... I'd say this is the best shape I've seen him in" #Packers

pbmax
07-25-2016, 11:54 AM
I have to go watch the Bill Simmons interview with Rodgers apparently. I can't forgive Rodgers for making me do that.

Peter Bukowski ‏@Peter_Bukowski 52m52 minutes ago
Peter Bukowski Retweeted Michael Cohen
Avert your eyes @BR_DougFarrarPeter Bukowski added,

McCarthy said the coaches "took a hard look" at the offense after 2015. "We need to be much better offensively in the area of fundamentals."

Doug Farrar ‏@BR_DougFarrar 48m48 minutes ago
@Peter_Bukowski Not surprised, really. He seems intent on doubling down on this.

Chris B. Brown ‏@smartfootball 21m21 minutes ago
@BR_DougFarrar @Peter_Bukowski the difficulty is whether or not he is into "scheming it up" as you," he can't/shouldn't say anything now

Chris B. Brown ‏@smartfootball 20m20 minutes ago
@BR_DougFarrar @Peter_Bukowski not that I expect many schematic wrinkles. Did you watch Rodgers on Bill Simmons extra time? He talked about

Chris B. Brown ‏@smartfootball 20m20 minutes ago
@BR_DougFarrar @Peter_Bukowski how he pushes simpler is better to his coaches, cited Peyton's O with Indy with Harrison/Wayne on same sides

Chris B. Brown ‏@smartfootball 19m19 minutes ago
@BR_DougFarrar @Peter_Bukowski out executing opponents, etc. Was interesting

Peter Bukowski ‏@Peter_Bukowski 18m18 minutes ago
@smartfootball @BR_DougFarrar I did see that. Rodgers has always been a preparation/execution guy. They didn't have the horses last year.

Chris B. Brown ‏@smartfootball 16m16 minutes ago
@Peter_Bukowski @BR_DougFarrar don't disagree. Execution works better with healthy Lacy/Cobb/Nelson than James Jones/Devante Adams, but

Chris B. Brown
‏@smartfootball
@Peter_Bukowski @BR_DougFarrar thought it was interesting. Trick is, as always, to focus on execution but get defense off heels somehow

Chris B. Brown ‏@smartfootball 15m15 minutes ago
@Peter_Bukowski @BR_DougFarrar (varying tempos, formations/shifts/motions, personnel groups, etc).

Aaron Nagler ‏@AaronNagler 6m6 minutes ago
@smartfootball @Peter_Bukowski @BR_DougFarrar Spot on, Chris.

Peter Bukowski ‏@Peter_Bukowski 15m15 minutes ago
@smartfootball @BR_DougFarrar Yeah I think Doug's biggest thing was one Nelson goes down, Lacy looks out of shape how do you adapt? GB didnt

pbmax
07-25-2016, 05:29 PM
And we are off!!

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 3m3 minutes ago
Jordy Nelson, Jared Cook will start camp on PUP list
https://t.co/hVcYL6gkQn

Also Barrington, Lang, Linsley and Monty.

Rob Demovsky
ESPN Staff Writer
Jordy Nelson, Jared Cook, Sam Barrington, T.J. Lang, Corey Linsley and Ty Montgomery all will start training camp on the physically unable to perform (PUP) list, per a source. They won't be on the field for tomorrow morning's first practice.

pbmax
07-25-2016, 05:49 PM
BTW, this is why signing free agents is a fool's errand. :D

texaspackerbacker
07-25-2016, 10:30 PM
Is this really an indication of lingering injuries for these players? Or just some technicality - some reason it's advantageous to put them on the PUP list? Just asking - can anybody clarify that?

Patler
07-26-2016, 03:48 AM
Is this really an indication of lingering injuries for these players? Or just some technicality - some reason it's advantageous to put them on the PUP list? Just asking - can anybody clarify that?

A few technical reasons players are sometimes listed on PUP to start camp:

1. To go on PUP at the start of the season, a player has to have been on PUP for all of training camp, so if there is any inkling that a player might be a PUP candidate at the start of the season, they go on PUP now. A couple years ago the Packers go burned with a player who started the camp on the active roster, only to drop out after a day due to a lingering injury; but then was ineligible for PUP at the start of the season. Now they seem to give themselves time to evaluate players for a couple days to make sure they are 100% ready to go. The medical staff can work them hard for a couple days and see how they respond.

2. With all they players coming to town at once, the medical staff doesn't have time to go over players extensively. In view of #1 above, they put all who were rehabbing significant injuries on PUP so they can examine them more thoroughly over the next couple days. Sometimes you see players come off PUP the next day, after tests are completed.

3. You have to remember, everyone has been away for the last month or so, and the medical staff may not have any info on these guys since June. They have to make certain there have been no setbacks in their recoveries.

pbmax
07-26-2016, 08:11 AM
Photographic evidence that Eddie Lacy exists, is not Sasquatch and might be in shape, from Michael Cohen.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CoSwMDMWcAEGTMB.jpg:large

pbmax
07-26-2016, 08:21 AM
This is the side of the field for the PUP players to work on rehab.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CoSzATcUAAAYaGm.jpg

pbmax
07-26-2016, 08:23 AM
Rob Demovsky
ESPN Staff Writer

Eddie Lacy is back after another round of work with training guru Tony Horton. Looks more trim that he did this spring when he weighed in the 240s.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CoSwzH7VMAEk6iO.jpg:large

pbmax
07-26-2016, 08:46 AM
Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 15m15 minutes ago
Some injured players who are back today are McCray, Rollins, Daniel and Thomas.

MCCARTY PRE-PRACTICE PC

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 55m55 minutes ago
McCarthy: Six players placed on PUP. Dr. McKenzie has no long-term concerns with any of the players. Caution at the start of #PackersCamp

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 54m54 minutes ago
McCarthy: Nelson has a workout program. No long term concerns. I think all six will be in training camp at some point.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 53m53 minutes ago
McCarthy: want to see young players pick up where they left off. Want to see WR group jump out there.

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 53m53 minutes ago
McCarthy wants to see receiver group jump out. Aggressive fundamental work. Route-running, some newly-implemented drills. #PackersCamp

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 52m52 minutes ago
McCarthy: We'll continue to move Clay around. He's an impact player. Need to give him opportunities to make impact plays. #PackersCamp

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 51m51 minutes ago
McCarthy: Eddie is ready. I'm done talking about people's weight. I felt like I gave an honest answer (last time).

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 51m51 minutes ago
McCarthy: LB Blake Martinez did a heck of a job in spring. He stood out. He picked things up seamlessly. #PackersCamp

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 50m50 minutes ago
McCarthy: Preliminary game plan ready for Indy. More about what we're focused on working on as opposed to beating Colts. #PackersCamp

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 47m47 minutes ago
McCarthy: Have to pay close attention to the QBs. Definitely aware of how many throws Rodgers takes each and every practice. #PackersCamp

pbmax
07-26-2016, 09:26 AM
Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 7s8 seconds ago
With Corey Linsley hurt, there are four players taking reps at center with the QBs: Tretter, Rotheram, Flores, Barclay. #Packers

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 18m18 minutes ago
Jordy Nelson, Ty Montgomery and Sam Barrington are here watching practice. Haven't seen T.J. Lang, Corey Linsley or Jared Cook.

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 15m15 minutes ago
Cook is out here watching now. #Packers

Pete Dougherty ‏@PeteDougherty 38m38 minutes ago
Here's Eddie Lacy in fundamental drills. Looks tad thinner than at last minicamp

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CoS7W2zXEAERQd3.jpg:large

Patler
07-26-2016, 09:30 AM
No wonder coaches hate the new practice regulations:

There are 16 practices. Five preseason games. Forty days until final cuts.

16 practices? That's it? It really doesn't give rookies much of an opportunity to impress.
I remember the days of nearly two months of training camp, 6 preseason games and two-a-day practices for all but the last week or two.

pbmax
07-26-2016, 09:32 AM
No wonder coaches hate the new practice regulations:

16 practices? That's it? It really doesn't give rookies much of an opportunity to impress.
I remember the days of nearly two months of training camp, 6 preseason games and two-a-day practices for all but the last week or two.

And that is the extended practice with the HOF game.

pbmax
07-26-2016, 09:35 AM
Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 4m4 minutes ago
Cobb goes up to haul in a beautiful 29 yard pass from Rodgers #PackersCamp

LONGEST COMPLETION TO RECEIVER OTHER THAN JANIS SINCE HAIL MARY IN DETROIT

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 7m7 minutes ago
Adams, Cobb and Janis the three WRs. Abby next up.

Pete Dougherty ‏@PeteDougherty 8m8 minutes ago
First punting of camp, neither punter stands out, tho punting into breeze. Masthay 35.2 avg on 4 punts, Mortell 36.6

GBkrzygrl
07-26-2016, 10:15 AM
Thanks for the updates. I have been to camp several times and had a great time each time. I'm a little bothered about the PUP list but not over anxious. Sure hope the team can absorb whatever injuries come this way this year.

pbmax
07-26-2016, 11:25 AM
Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 1h1 hour ago
Abbrederis schools Gunter with a short catch, jab step and break to the post.

ABBY 1, OCTOPUS 0

Pete Dougherty ‏@PeteDougherty 1h1 hour ago
Peppers doesn't appear to be doing any 11 on 11 today, at least not so far

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 1h1 hour ago
Nick Perry has been in his place at OLB. #Packers

Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 1h1 hour ago
Datone Jones getting some push from OLB spot. Squeezed pocket twice today

CAN HE PLAY ILB?

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 2h2 hours ago
HENRY Rollins BAND great job locking up Cobb 1 on 1 on Rodgers scramble.

CB Damarious Randall getting a lot of reps in the slot. Didn't play there last year.

Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 2h2 hours ago
Rollins getting work outside

Biggest play in no huddle was Hundley scramble throw to Wr Herb Waters for 50.

WHICH DIVISION RIVAL WILL BE MADDEST IF THE PACKERS STRIKE PRO BOWL AT QB THREE TIMES IN A ROW? GOTTA BE THE BEARS, RIGHT?

pbmax
07-26-2016, 11:52 AM
TINY

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CoTESFSWcAIbjAt.jpg:large

ThunderDan
07-26-2016, 12:05 PM
TINY

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CoTESFSWcAIbjAt.jpg:large

You almost can't see him from the side.

pbmax
07-26-2016, 01:00 PM
Lacy's as skinny as the center field foul pole.

Here you can start to get carried away by Trevor Davis' unnatural hands and telepathy with Aaron Rodgers. Courtney of:

From The Benches ‏@FromTheBenches 1h1 hour ago
Exclusive #FTB video, @AaronRodgers12 to Day 1 MVP @Trevor9Davis with the one handed grab on the sideline.

https://vimeo.com/176349892

pbmax
07-26-2016, 01:02 PM
Ross Uglem, same source as above I think, with Abby's catch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvGqwYyG2GA&feature=youtu.be

pbmax
07-26-2016, 01:08 PM
Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 40m40 minutes ago
#Packers WR Jordy Nelson said he was placed on PUP for a small "hiccup" with his other leg. The ACL, he promised, is totally fine.

The "hiccup" did not require surgery and Nelson said he's not worried about it. #Packers

OH GOOD. ITS THE OTHER LEG.
:alc:

Joemailman
07-26-2016, 11:12 PM
Ryan Wood ✔ @ByRyanWood
#Packers rookie ILB Blake Martinez playing dime linebacker, staying right with WR Davante Adams covering middle of the field.
9:56 AM - 26 Jul 2016

Good news or bad news?

Patler
07-27-2016, 06:30 AM
#Packers WR Jordy Nelson said he was placed on PUP for a small "hiccup" with his other leg. The ACL, he promised, is totally fine.

The "hiccup" did not require surgery and Nelson said he's not worried about it. #Packers

The beginning of the end.................

Patler
07-27-2016, 06:43 AM
It will be interesting to see how much of a difference this makes.
From the GBPG,...or JSO....or maybe the GBPG/JSO:

If you want to see a Packers player who changed his body significantly this offseason, take a look at tight end Richard Rodgers. He let his conditioning slip last year and played the season in the range of 272 pounds to 275 pounds. He looked like a different player Tuesday, slimmer from head to toe. He said he came in at the team-mandated 258 pounds.

TravisWilliams23
07-27-2016, 07:38 AM

Hoping it's just the team saying screw it, we're not going to lose our best wr to a meaningless pre-season game again this year. I remember how pissed Rodgers was after the injury last year because it happened in a meaningless game.
If Jordy doesn't look good in camp, there might be something to worry about. Otherwise, I'd lean towards the team saying they're not going to lose him again in a pre-season game that doesn't mean Jack Shit.

pbmax
07-27-2016, 08:16 AM
DAY 2: Ian Rapoport is in town, so I expect some reality confirming reporting in the next week or so. soft 'n small! Taller and athletic! Thompson and McCarthy no longer on each other's Christmas card list!

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 8m8 minutes ago
McCarthy on Day 1: Offense had 19 big plays. Lots of production. Too many penalties. Productive but not disciplined enough. #PackersCamp

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 8m8 minutes ago
McCarthy was happy with the number of big plays yesterday (19) but very sour because of the pre-snap penalties (13). Called it "outrageous."

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 7m7 minutes ago
McCarthy: Drove to practice w/ Shields & Burnett yesterday. Talked about how fast it goes, importance of taking advantage of opportunity.

RIDES WITHT THE BOSS ARE ALWAYS AWKWARD

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 7m7 minutes ago
McCarthy on Trevor Davis: "Really productive, but it's the details, the fundamentals, the little things, the discipline. Build off that."

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 6m6 minutes ago
McCarthy on Datone Jones moving to OLB: "He's earned more opportunities. Needs to be productive with that."

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 6m6 minutes ago
McCarthy: Datone will build off what he did last year. He's earned the opportunity. Thought very productive in his position.

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 5m5 minutes ago
McCarthy: QB Brett Hundley will have more opportunities with five preseason games. We want to see Brett play as much as he can. #PackersCamp

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 5m5 minutes ago
McCarthy: Jared Cook is everything we thought he would be. Big, strong, athletic TE that attacks the middle of the field. Priority for us.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 3m3 minutes ago
McCarthy: we are conscious of how many snaps Rodgers is getting with extra week of camp. Now snaps at QB normal, but Hundley will see more.

pbmax
07-27-2016, 08:20 AM
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 2m2 minutes ago
Sounds like #Packers TE Jared Cook's stay on PUP will be a short 1. Mike McCarthy spoke of a positive medical report. I'm told precautionary

JSO/GANNETT/GBPG SHOULD JUST HIRE THIS GUY

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 13s14 seconds ago
Appears Robertson Daniel can be added to injury report.

pbmax
07-27-2016, 08:56 AM
The tackling doughnut?

Pete Dougherty ‏@PeteDougherty 12m12 minutes ago
That's Jake Ryan working on tackling fundamentals with a tackling doughnut

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CoYDBYOUkAEW1Vw.jpg:large

pbmax
07-27-2016, 08:58 AM
This is what coaches do when they have too much free time.

Creative drill for the RBs with footballs attached to leashes. A partner yanks on the ball from behind. #Packers

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CoYE5YzVIAAlAmV.jpg:large

pbmax
07-27-2016, 09:59 AM
The future is now.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 3m3 minutes ago
Spriggs then Bulaga at left tackle.

Fritz
07-27-2016, 10:03 AM
The tackling

Pete Dougherty ‏@PeteDougherty 12m12 minutes ago
That's Jake Ryan working on tackling fundamentals with a tackling doughnut

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CoYDBYOUkAEW1Vw.jpg:large

Last year, Eddie Lacey functioned in that role.

gbgary
07-27-2016, 10:29 AM
o-line health and the wrs are my worries. cobb will be cobb and do all that he can for a 2-3 type. ALL other wrs are question marks. you can only hope jordy will be as good as he was. someone HAS to emerge as a 1-2 type!! a REAL starter. we can't go through another season where bench warmers are being counted on. otherwise it'll be another wasted year for rodgers.

pbmax
07-27-2016, 11:36 AM
o-line health and the wrs are my worries. cobb will be cobb and do all that he can for a 2-3 type. ALL other wrs are question marks. you can only hope jordy will be as good as he was. someone HAS to emerge as a 1-2 type!! a REAL starter. we can't go through another season where bench warmers are being counted on. otherwise it'll be another wasted year for rodgers.

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 2h2 hours ago
Davante Adams makes a tremendous leaping catch deep down field on a free play. Jumped over Rollins, who collided with Randall. #Packers

Adams with clear push off on Rollins on free-play deep ball. Adams catches, official holds onto his flag, much to the chagrin of Joe Whitt.

VETERAN MOVE

Justin Perillo with a nice catch in traffic. Good competition brewing for No 3 tight end #PackersCamp

PACKERS DEPTH AT THE 3RD TE SPOT IS UNPARALLELED

Patler
07-27-2016, 01:06 PM
Justin Perillo with a nice catch in traffic. Good competition brewing for No 3 tight end #PackersCamp

PACKERS DEPTH AT THE 3RD TE SPOT IS UNPARALLELED

Unfortunately, right now the #3 TEs are #2 TEs, and that doesn't look so good.

pbmax
07-27-2016, 01:35 PM
Unfortunately, right now the #3 TEs are #2 TEs, and that doesn't look so good.

http://i.imgur.com/utzTCyo.png

Harlan Huckleby
07-27-2016, 04:02 PM
o-line health and the wrs are my worries. cobb will be cobb and do all that he can for a 2-3 type. ALL other wrs are question marks. you can only hope jordy will be as good as he was. someone HAS to emerge as a 1-2 type!! a REAL starter.

As always, the glass is half empty. When your star WR is out for the entire preseason, that is not a hiccup, especially when he is coming off of serious injury. When Jordy Nelson is your star receiver, well, he's good, but not elite. I have hope for Abberderis because ... just because. Montgomery could be better than Cobb.

I'd say the WR corp is a bit better than what Favre worked with, but not an especially strong part of the team.

pbmax
07-27-2016, 04:13 PM
I fear this has slowly become a desperate situation. I can't think of another reason why there is such uncertainty.

Pete Dougherty ‏@PeteDougherty 59m59 minutes ago
And here's the latest from @ByRyanWood: Montgomery has no target date for return http://pck.rs/2angnV9 via @PGpackersnews

Carolina_Packer
07-27-2016, 04:14 PM
Last year, Eddie Lacey functioned in that role.

Doh!

Joemailman
07-27-2016, 04:33 PM
Ryan Wood ✔ @ByRyanWood
#Packers CB Quinten Rollins practicing in camp after missing most of offseason. He says dislocated thumb is 100%.
8:55 AM - 27 Jul 2016

Ryan Wood ✔ @ByRyanWood
#Packers rookie WR Trevor Davis with another leaping catch. Looking to build off fine first practice.
9:16 AM - 27 Jul 2016

Tom Silverstein ✔ @TomSilverstein
Defense starts in nickel and Randall is the slot guy.
9:28 AM - 27 Jul 2016

Sam Shields picks off Rodgers deep after Janis misplays it by trying to get underneath Shields.
9:30 AM - 27 Jul 2016

More pre snap penalties. Hundley's hard count fools his own OL. Sprggs, Taylor jump.
9:33 AM - 27 Jul 2016

Ryan Wood ✔ @ByRyanWood
Huffing and puffing after chasing Randall Cobb in open field, #Packers DL Mike Daniels comes to sideline ... and lays down for a nap.
9:40 AM - 27 Jul 2016

Rob Demovsky
ESPN Staff Writer

Davante Adams caught a bomb from Aaron Rodgers but Adams appeared to push off, sending Damarious Randall and Quinten Rollins to the ground. After no call by refs, coach Joe Whitt told the two corners to just "take him down."
7h.

gbgary
07-27-2016, 05:34 PM
Rob Demovsky
ESPN Staff Writer

Davante Adams caught a bomb from Aaron Rodgers but Adams appeared to push off, sending Damarious Randall and Quinten Rollins to the ground. After no call by refs, coach Joe Whitt told the two corners to just "take him down."
7h

yikes! and if he gets hurt? stupid!

smuggler
07-27-2016, 08:40 PM
It's Adams, I don't think it's a huge concern.

Freak Out
07-28-2016, 01:36 AM
I fear this has slowly become a desperate situation. I can't think of another reason why there is such uncertainty.

Pete Dougherty ‏@PeteDougherty 59m59 minutes ago
And here's the latest from @ByRyanWood: Montgomery has no target date for return http://pck.rs/2angnV9 via @PGpackersnews

Brutal. So hoping he can go.

MadtownPacker
07-28-2016, 09:31 AM
It's Adams, I don't think it's a huge concern.
No concern but his sophomore slump had so many here crying to trade him and run his ass out of town. Sure it's ain't a concern. :lol:

MadScientist
07-28-2016, 11:13 AM
If Adams has learned how to push off without being flagged, he might be in for a good year.

Fritz
07-28-2016, 11:53 AM
Every time I check the Packernews I hold my breath hoping there are no new injuries.

Guiness
07-28-2016, 12:09 PM
If Adams has learned how to push off without being flagged, he might be in for a good year.

If he paid attention to James Jones last year, he learned from one of the best at it in the league right now! Can't believe that guy is an FA and not even getting a look at a 90 man roster, he had 8TD and 900 yards last year.

Joemailman
07-28-2016, 04:33 PM
Rollins rips the ball out of Davante Adams' arms after a slant. More fumble than incomplete.
10:05 AM - 28 Jul 2016

Crosby stays perfect on FGs. Hits 6 of 6: from 33, 36, 40, 43, 45, 48 with strong wind at his back. Four w/ Masthay holding, 2 with Mortell.
10:02 AM - 28 Jul 2016

Ryan Wood ✔ @ByRyanWood
#Packers WR Geronimo Allison makes nice adjustment to QB Marquise Williams' pass midair, changing direction to beat CB Quinten Rollins deep.
9:49 AM - 28 Jul 2016

Hundley's hard count is really getting good. He just fooled Matthews and Daniels, who both jumped offsides. #Packers
9:40 AM - 28 Jul 2016

Ryan Wood ✔ @ByRyanWood
Aaron Rodgers still has it. He drops beauty of a throw over #Packers OLB Kyler Fackrell, to TE Justin Perillo for over shoulder catch.
9:38 AM - 28 Jul 2016

Lacy drops an easy ball in the flat on Rodgers scramble. Lots of ball handling problems today. Field isn't that wet.

Dean Lowry quietly showing some ability. Just blew up a running play by beating center Jacob Flores across his face.
9:33 AM - 28 Jul 2016.

pbmax
07-28-2016, 04:39 PM
From Packers.com: http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article-player-feature/article-1/Nick-Perry-on-track-for-prominent-role-in-Packers-defense/5c4e65e6-660f-47c6-b51d-a4e218261e65?sf32013211=1#ixzz4FjY2IvaC

In conjunction with limiting 15-year veteran Julius Peppers’ workload, Perry has been taking the bulk of the snaps with the No. 1 defense as the bookend pass rusher opposite Clay Matthews.

Read more: http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article-player-feature/article-1/Nick-Perry-on-track-for-prominent-role-in-Packers-defense/5c4e65e6-660f-47c6-b51d-a4e218261e65#ixzz4Fk0iVb1m

Contract Drive 2!

pbmax
07-28-2016, 04:55 PM
Corey Linsley has a Packer hamstring injury. He is expected to be a full go for camp in 2017.

gbgary
07-28-2016, 05:40 PM
Corey Linsley has a Packer hamstring injury. He is expected to be a full go for camp in 2017.

ha!

pbmax
07-29-2016, 08:58 AM
Nick Perry is the starter on defense. Julius Peppers is the pass rushing relief. I like it, if Perry can hold up.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-trusting-nick-perry-to-give-julius-peppers-a-break-b99769599z1-388614181.html

Try as they might to avoid placing so much pressure on one guy, that proportionality was established in March when the Packers rewarded Perry with a $5 million contract largely on the basis of playing two of the best games of his career in the playoffs. The Packers chose to re-sign Perry over veteran Mike Neal fully believing he could give them the best of two worlds.

Also, don't forget Datone Jones is outside now as well.

pbmax
07-29-2016, 11:03 AM
TED and the Assistants Today

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 1h1 hour ago
Thompson on #Packers' urgency in 2016: "My opinion is always the same. We're starting a new year & trying to win a championship."

Ted Thompson: "When Brett played in Atlanta it wasn't all pretty. But it was pretty when he got to the Green Bay Packers."

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 1h1 hour ago
Thompson talks about "crazy" Brett early in Favre's career - means that in a "loving way." Recalls Favre-to-Taylor to beat Cincy.

Ted Thompson on Brett Favre trade: "It turned out pretty good. It was probably one of the best trades....of all time." #Packers

Thompson says "we're hoping to" get to Favre's HOF ceremony. "We think we will ... by hook or by crook."

Thompson on getting back to Super Bowl: Recalls Houston's Bum Phillips famous "we're going to kick that son of a bitch in" speech.

"this is a tough deal," TT says. "This year is a brand new year and I think our team is ready to take on the challenge."

Thompson says it takes luck to win Super Bowl. Like making a 50-footer to win US Open. Got to be good to be in mix; lucky to win.

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 1h1 hour ago
Thompson: Last year was good in some ways & disappointing in some ways. This year's team's ready to take on the challenge. I like our group.

pbmax
07-29-2016, 11:12 AM
EDGAR

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 50m50 minutes ago
Edgar Bennett on WR Trevor Davis: Our scouting dept did a great job. This is the start and there’s a long way to go still.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 50m50 minutes ago
Bennett on Cobb: We want all our guys to be consistent. That’s the goal. Main thing is being fundamentally sound. That’s what we’re working

AND NOT LACERATING YOUR LUNG WITH A MIC PACK

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 49m49 minutes ago
Bennett on Jared Cook: See his abilities on tape. Right now,stay in the classroom and then carry it over when he gets back on the field.

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 49m49 minutes ago
#Packers OC Edgar Bennett on TE Jared Cook: He's doing an outstanding job in the classroom. Doing everything he can to get back on the field

Bennett on R. Rodgers: He’s ready to go. He’s honing his craft, becoming a better route runner.

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 49m49 minutes ago
#Packers OC Edgar Bennett on Jordy Nelson: "I see him putting everything he has into it. That's how he goes about his business."

Bennett on Jordy Nelson: I see him putting everything in rehab. He’s a true pro. He’s going to do everything he can to get back (100%).

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 48m48 minutes ago
Bennett on WR fundamentals: We have to apply it. One thing to talk about it and explain it and demand it. We want to create habits.

WE WILL GET TO SMART ROUTE CONCEPT CONSTRUCTION LATER

"We must improve our fundamentals," Bennett says, emphasizing each of those words.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 50m50 minutes ago
Bennett on Lacy: "He's been outstanding. Love the way he's working. He's doing the little things. YOu see him finishing his runs."

Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 49m49 minutes ago
#Packers OC Edgar Bennett on Eddie Lacy: He's been outstanding. Love the way he's working/finishing runs. We're excited about where Eddie is

pbmax
07-29-2016, 11:13 AM
ZOOK

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 48m48 minutes ago
Zook on taking next step: Got to continue to improve. not making many changes. Mostly technique instead of scheme.

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 48m48 minutes ago
#Packers special teams units improved significantly last year, and coordinator Ron Zook said there won't be many scheme changes in 2016.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 48m48 minutes ago
Zook on punter battle: Not sure how they'll handle the games. Need to see Mortell "punt in front of people." Fam Night will help.

pbmax
07-29-2016, 11:26 AM
CLEMENTS

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 37m37 minutes ago
Clements on Hundley: Want him to be a master of the system, but he’s not there yet. Working toward that. He asks Aaron good questions.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 38m38 minutes ago
Clements on Cook's potential: Experienced. Physical tools. He wanted to be a Packer and play with Rodgers. Doing well before injury.

CAMPEN

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 36m36 minutes ago
Campen on Taylor: Grown a tremendous amount since being rookie. Outstanding offseason and continued yesterday.

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 35m35 minutes ago
James Campen on JC Tretter: "JC can play, as we all know, every position. He's proven that and he's very valuable from that standpoint."

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 35m35 minutes ago
Campen calls Tretter a "pro's pro." Helps others in classroom, can play all the spots. Great work ethic.

speed of game will be biggest adjustment for Spriggs and Murphy. "Lucky situation" with talented edge rushers on roster.

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 42m42 minutes ago
Campen said Don Barclay has also been playing all five positions. #Packers

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 43m43 minutes ago
"It just takes reps," Campen says of Spriggs going from left to right. Has athleticism to make that transition.

pbmax
07-29-2016, 11:34 AM
VAN PELT

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 37m37 minutes ago
Van Pelt likes how Joe Callahan has improved, especially his footwork.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 36m36 minutes ago
Van Pelt on Hundley's cadence: Learning from the best with Rodgers. "Obviously, it's an emphasis here."

Van Pelt: Rodgers sharp in first three practices. He and Janis building relationship.

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 35m35 minutes ago
When asked about Aaron Rodgers bonding with young receivers, QBs coach Alex Van Pelt mentioned a growing relationship with Jeff Janis.

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 34m34 minutes ago
Van Pelt on Rodgers-Janis chemistry: "It's like a marriage. You have to work through it."

GETSY

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 32m32 minutes ago
Master of tennis balls, bricks and juggling, #Packers WR coach Luke Getsy: "I don't think you can be more creative than we've been so far."

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 33m33 minutes ago
Getsy on the young WRs getting more reps due to injuries: "There's nothing better than experience." Fifth preseason game will hep, too.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 32m32 minutes ago
WRs coach Luke Getsy on his many odd fundamental drills: "I don't think you can be more creative than we've been. "

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 32m32 minutes ago
Adams has come back with fire, Getsy says. "He's ready to rock and roll."

BRIAN ANGELICHIO (TE)

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 23m23 minutes ago
TEs coach Brian Angelichio on slimmer R. Rodgers: "Big thing for Rich is he feels where he's comfortable at." Hopefully help stamina.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 19m19 minutes ago
TEs coach Brian Angelichio: Kennard Backman is more comfortable. Hopefully, he'll take a big step this training camp

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 19m19 minutes ago
Angelichio on blocking: about quickness, explosion, snap count and fundamentals. "We have to block and we will block."

pbmax
07-29-2016, 11:36 AM
BEN SIRMANS (RB)

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 16m16 minutes ago
Ben Sirmans on Lacy: Had a couple runs yesterday where he utilized quick feet and burst through hole. Screen the other day, too.

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 16m16 minutes ago
#Packers RB coach Ben Sirmans says Eddie Lacy has been finishing runs and showing the kind of acceleration from early part of his career.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 15m15 minutes ago
"It always comes down to fundamentals," Sirmans says. Lacy and Starks each matched career fumble totals last season.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 12m12 minutes ago
Pass protection will be major key in determining No. 3 battle, especially with Rodgers at QB, Sirmans says.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 10m10 minutes ago
Squirewell is a guy worth developing at fullback, Sirmans says. Was 290-pound D-linemen at D-II Newberry last year. 260 now.

!?!?!?

Pugger
07-29-2016, 01:38 PM
http://packersnotes.com/tag/alstevis-squirewell/

Guiness
07-29-2016, 10:43 PM
Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 10m10 minutes ago
Squirewell is a guy worth developing at fullback, Sirmans says. Was 290-pound D-linemen at D-II Newberry last year. 260 now.

!?!?!?

Um, what? lol

Guiness
07-29-2016, 10:50 PM
CAMPEN

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 43m43 minutes ago
"It just takes reps," Campen says of Spriggs going from left to right. Has athleticism to make that transition.

Is Springs only taking reps on the right side? Is that where they see him playing?

Joemailman
07-29-2016, 11:01 PM
Is Springs only taking reps on the right side? Is that where they see him playing?

I think MM had said earlier that Spriggs would be lining up at both T positions.

wist43
07-29-2016, 11:18 PM
I think MM had said earlier that Spriggs would be lining up at both T positions.

Of course - it's what the Packers do.

They play everyone all over the place, and it takes forever for a guy to settle in. Then an injury hits and they put their 6th lineman in, regardless of whether he can play the position or not; or better yet, they move 3 guys to accomadate 1 injury, and the line flounders around for weeks - all the while Rodgers running for his life.

It the Packer way ;)

Patler
07-30-2016, 07:11 AM
It's what the Packers do, and it is what most teams do, because it is what they have to do. When you have only 8 linemen active on game days, sometimes only 7, it is absolutely essential that some be prepared to play more than one position. If it isn't the backup, then a starter has to switch to accommodate the backup who can play the starter's position. Reality is what reality is. It doesn't make a lot of sense to carry 10 linemen on the game day roster just to have a different backup for every position. It isn't even common to carry 10 on the 53 man roster.

pbmax
07-30-2016, 08:14 AM
Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 8m8 minutes ago
Mitchell Henry back at practice #PackersCamp

Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 14m14 minutes ago Ashwaubenon, WI
Just walked by a woman asking Siri, "Who is No. 69 for the Green Bay #Packers?" Wasn't able to hear how much of @DBak69's bio she gave.

DOES THIS WORK?

pbmax
07-30-2016, 08:26 AM
M3 PREPRACTICE PC - I LOVE THAT THESE WERE MOVED TO BEFORE PRACTICE SO HE DID NOT HAVE TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS ABOUT WHAT HAPPENED AT PRACTICE (INJURIES, DEPTH CHART, ETC.) IMMEDIATELY

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 38m38 minutes ago
McCarthy: Players were off yesterday. Coaches met, did evaluations. Spent time planning HOF Game travel. #PackersCamp

Ryan Wood ‏@ByRyanWood 37m37 minutes ago
#Packers coach Mike McCarthy said yesterday, first nonpractice day of camp, was full of meetings. Working out Canton logistics.

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 37m37 minutes ago
McCarthy on first padded practice: Shows you why you have to practice in pads. It takes reps and time. Glad we have extra week. #PackersCamp

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 36m36 minutes ago
McCarthy said the team came out of the first padded practice "pretty good" in health-wise. Will be interesting to see if anyone sits today.

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 37m37 minutes ago
McCarthy: Family Night is one of our better practices every year. Great opportunity to get under the lights in front of fans. #PackersCamp

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 36m36 minutes ago
McCarthy: Today is red-zone installation. Installation practices are the toughest of the year. #PackersCamp

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 31m31 minutes ago
Saw G Lucas Patrick with a club on his right hand.

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 31m31 minutes ago
McCarthy: WRs coach Luke Getsy has done a good job with creativity. Working with WRs on hand-eye coordination. #PackersCamp

pbmax
07-30-2016, 08:57 AM
Everyone on defense practicing (who isn't on PUP) except LB Manoa Pikula.

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 4m4 minutes ago
Good showing by Jason Spriggs in the 1-on-1 pass rush drill. His athleticism is very evident in that setting. #Packers

Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 59s59 seconds ago
Jason Spriggs with another really showing in one on ones. Met a bull rush from Nick Perry on Thurs and recovered. Held his own again today

pbmax
07-30-2016, 10:11 AM
Practice #4

Doug Farrar Retweeted Annie J
Sid Gillman once told Bum Phillips that watching game film was like making love. Bum replied...

Doug Farrar ‏@BR_DougFarrar 57m57 minutes ago
"Sid, either I don't know how to watch tape, or you don't know how to make love."

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 52m52 minutes ago
Starting offense scores TD in the 2-min drill. Highlights: Richard Rodgers ripping ball from Rollins for first down, huge screen to Starks.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 52m52 minutes ago
Rollins had himself a game-clinching INT in 2-minute but Richard Rodgers just rips it out of his hands for an 18-yard gain.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 51m51 minutes ago
Another big play on offense during 2-minute was s perfectly executed screen to Starks for 27.

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 50m50 minutes ago
LB Manoa Pikula is the only player not practicing today. Left the field Thursday grabbing his right #Packers hamstring.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 48m48 minutes ago
Joe Whitt had Sam Shields and LaDarius Gunter outside and Rollins and Hyde inside in the dime in 2-minute. Randall coming off bench.

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 47m47 minutes ago
Former #Packers TE Jermichael Finley is here watching training camp.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 37m37 minutes ago
Nick Perry destroys Justin Perillo and blows up a running play. Lacy would have been dropped for a 4-yard loss.

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 34m34 minutes ago
Nice play by rookie Blake Martinez in the red zone drill. Sniffed out a screen to Starks and tagged him off in the flat. #Packers

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 34m34 minutes ago
Backup TEs not having a good blocking day. Mitchell Henry lets Lerentee McCray dump John Crockett for a loss.

Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 25m25 minutes ago
Slow start to team red zone ends with three straight TD passes to Cobb, Backman and Perillo #PackersCamp

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 22m22 minutes ago
Rodgers and Abbrederis connect on one of the prettiest plays in camp. Seam route vs zone and Rodgers puts it on a line right on his hands.

pbmax
07-30-2016, 10:18 AM
Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 20m20 minutes ago
Defense winning today but offense not helping with some drops in red zone drill.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 14m14 minutes ago
Eddie Lacy back catching punts with Cobb. Fielded the first one cleanly.

?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Pete Dougherty ‏@PeteDougherty 13m13 minutes ago
Best defensive play in pass under pressure drill Guion beat walker off snap for strip sack of Hundley

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 8m8 minutes ago
Masthay very consistent today punting with wind: 59, 53, 48, 59. Mortell starts out 53 and 62 and then a pair of 28 yard mishits.

Masthay big win in punting today. Plus 12.2 per punt and plus 0.43 in hang time.

Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 4m4 minutes ago
Good awareness.m by Abbrederis. Whitehead pops up pass in red zone, 84 doesn't give up on play and catches call in end zone

Solid practice for CB Randall Jette. He picked off Aaron Rodgers on a tipped ball and knocked a pass away from Herb Waters in the end zone.

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 2m2 minutes ago
Fairly heavy dose of screens to James Starks today in a variety of 11-on-11 drills. Looks to be an emphasis once again. #Packers

STILL THE MOST UNLIKELY STORY OF PLAYER DEVELOPMENT IN 5 YEARS

pbmax
07-30-2016, 10:26 AM
Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 7m7 minutes ago
Abbrederis with another nice snag on a 5 Yd lob from Rodgers

After bad ball to Janis, Rodgers ends with strike to Abbrederis for td to end red zone drill.

Jeff Janis drops a sure TD from Aaron Rodgers, ball a bit behind him. Next snap Jared Abbrederis snags TD from Rodgers on a fade. #Packers

IF MOST BAD THROWS ARE TO JANIS (AND LAST YEAR TO STRUGGLING/INJURED ADAMS) IS IT THE QB OR THE WR?

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 4m4 minutes ago
Abbrederis jumps high and rips a Rodgers pass out of Joe Thomas' hands and manages to land with both feet inbounds for a TD.

pbmax
07-30-2016, 10:55 AM
Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 16m16 minutes ago
Returning practice squaders Rob Daniel and Ed Williams having a nice offseasons. Both making plays when they're there #PackersCamp

Patler
07-30-2016, 11:02 AM

Wait a minute....they had a padded practice on Thursday,....with hitting and all that kind of physical stuff.
Abbrederis is STILL on the field??!! :shock: :shock:

Bossman641
07-30-2016, 04:33 PM
I'm ready for perry to have a big year

red
07-30-2016, 05:35 PM
I'm ready for perry to have a big year

yeah, year #5 is really the breakout year for most players

Tony Oday
07-30-2016, 05:37 PM
Abby will be our WR3

vince
07-30-2016, 09:59 PM
Everyone on defense practicing (who isn't on PUP) except LB Manoa Pikula.

Good showing by Jason Spriggs in the 1-on-1 pass rush drill. His athleticism is very evident in that setting. #Packers

Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 59s59 seconds ago
Jason Spriggs with another really showing in one on ones. Met a bull rush from Nick Perry on Thurs and recovered. Held his own again today
Someone reported that Spriggs is 8-0 in one-on-ones and Clark is 5-0 in his. Clark reportedly looks very strong and quick. Two guys I'm looking forward to seeing tomorrow night.

Pugger
07-31-2016, 09:10 AM

After bad ball to Janis, Rodgers ends with strike to Abbrederis for td to end red zone drill.

Jeff Janis drops a sure TD from Aaron Rodgers, ball a bit behind him. Next snap Jared Abbrederis snags TD from Rodgers on a fade. #Packers

IF MOST BAD THROWS ARE TO JANIS (AND LAST YEAR TO STRUGGLING/INJURED ADAMS) IS IT THE QB OR THE WR?

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 4m4 minutes ago
Abbrederis jumps high and rips a Rodgers pass out of Joe Thomas' hands and manages to land with both feet inbounds for a TD.

It sounds like Abby is having a nice camp so far. If he keeps this up he should make the final 53.

pbmax
07-31-2016, 10:06 AM
Forget me not: Before training camp is over, Beniquez Brown is going to be run through the test kitchen at inside linebacker to see what he has to offer.

On Saturday, Brown got some extended work at the nickel and dime positions in a highly competitive red-zone drill. Others such as Blake Martinez, Thomas, Jake Ryan and Carl Bradford have rotated through the two inside spots, but the 6-foot-1, 235-pound Brown has seen limited action.

Your Dime Linebacker candidates. Courtesy of Bretsky and JSO: http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/finally-healthy-jared-abbrederis-making-plays-in-camp-b99769450z1-388773091.html

http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?28994-NOTABLE-TRAINING-CAMP-NOTHINGS-FROM-PACKER-PRESS-IN-REGARDS-TO-WR-s&p=890534&viewfull=1#post890534

pbmax
07-31-2016, 10:08 AM
^ I hope the kid sticks around, lotta info in his quote:

Brown didn't look out of place in the nickel and dime and even chased down running back Eddie Lacy for a short gain of a catch out of the backfield.

"I did it in college," said Brown, who was the weak-side linebacker in a 4-3 defense at Mississippi State. "But the techniques they want us to use here, it's something to get used to.

"The biggest thing is in college you didn't have as many tight ends. If they were tight ends they were blocking tight ends. Now, here you have guys who can block and will run a great route on you also."

gbgary
07-31-2016, 10:22 AM
^ I hope the kid sticks around, lotta info in his quote:

yup. i always like guys with two last names.

smuggler
07-31-2016, 07:33 PM
Brown was graded a 3rd-4th round prospect, with the downside being (for his size) he's too slow. Seems he has good quickness. If he has the instincts, he could stick on the team. We've definitely had an issue finding instinctive players to plug into the middle of the defense. We'll see how he looks in practice during the 3rd preseason week.

E: He was graded *as high as* a 3rd-4th. Others had him as 6th-7th or priority UDFA.

pbmax
08-01-2016, 09:06 AM
Well, the inevitable happened. JSO has adopted the Gannett/USAToday/GBPG online publishing platform.

I wonder if I can still get them all in an RSS feed.

The big problem is that madison.com (WiSJ and CapitalTimes) has been terrible for years. Options are limited.

pbmax
08-01-2016, 09:16 AM
Early returns on Jones dropping weight and playing mostly outside are pretty positive. It would be a huge deal if he can raise his game, take Neal's snaps and provide an alternative to Perry and Matthews. He is long and not easy to get by as a QB trying to escape. He will make Matthews job easier if he can flush AND blowup a QB like Wilson.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2016/08/01/camp-insider-jones-rush/87761632/

Patler
08-01-2016, 09:17 AM
Well, the inevitable happened. JSO has adopted the Gannett/USAToday/GBPG online publishing platform.

I wonder if I can still get them all in an RSS feed.

The big problem is that madison.com (WiSJ and CapitalTimes) has been terrible for years. Options are limited.

Packer coverage in JSO and GBPG has been virtually identical for about a month, with the same articles in both papers. A couple weeks ago, they published an announcement about how the writers from the two would coordinate coverage and share articles. Too bad.

pbmax
08-01-2016, 09:22 AM
Packer coverage in JSO and GBPG has been virtually identical for about a month, with the same articles in both papers. A couple weeks ago, they published an announcement about how the writers from the two would coordinate coverage and share articles. Too bad.

Yep. And rather than have their own beat reporter, WiSJ contracts to Gannett to include the GBPG coverage (at least they did, not sure of they still do with combined GBPG/JSO). Its really limited now.

Patler
08-01-2016, 09:31 AM
Yep. And rather than have their own beat reporter, WiSJ contracts to Gannett to include the GBPG coverage (at least they did, not sure of they still do with combined GBPG/JSO). Its really limited now.

I didn't realize that. I've never been a reader of the WiSJ. Years and years ago, I enjoyed reading three persepectives, GBPG, Mil. Journal and Mil. Sentinel. I was disappointed when the two Milwaukee papers combined for more reasons than just Packer coverage, but that was part of it. Now we have just one.

pbmax
08-01-2016, 12:13 PM
Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 4s5 seconds ago
#Packers one-on-ones: Spriggs 8-0. Barclay and Murphy 7-1. Bulaga and Bakhtiari 4-0.

VegasPackFan
08-01-2016, 01:14 PM
Bill Huber reports Adams "has caught everything this summer."

Ryan Wood reports Adams has had a"rough camp so far."

WTF.

pbmax
08-01-2016, 01:21 PM

WTF.

Others have said Adams has been up and down this summer. :D

Funny as that is, my impression has been that he has been better than last year, but still dropping too many. Very much like his family night performance.

Rutnstrut
08-01-2016, 01:21 PM

WTF.

Well he didn't catch every pass last night.

Patler
08-01-2016, 02:44 PM

WTF.

Sometimes, people see what they want to see, even reporters.

QBME
08-01-2016, 05:09 PM
Sometimes, people see what they want to see, even reporters.

QFT

pbmax
08-01-2016, 05:09 PM
Post Family Night PC by M3

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 22m22 minutes ago
MM on PUP guys: Lang getting close to practicing but nothing changed with other five.

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 20m20 minutes ago
McCarthy: Night practice is a big change for everybody. Our players enjoy the atmosphere that our fans create. Best atmosphere to work in.

McCarthy on Clark: Has stood out in individual drills and is off to a good start. Not far [enough] along to give much analysis, though.

Ripkowski has taken step forward at fullback, McCarthy says. "I really like what he's doing."

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 17m17 minutes ago
McCarthy: I think Kenny (Clark) has really stood out in individual work in padded practices. He's off to a good start.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 14m14 minutes ago
there's some "judgment on the time clock" on what's a catch/not a catch, McCarthy said.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 13m13 minutes ago
McCarthy said players will have a chance to go to the Hall of Fame ceremony if they choose to see Favre inducted on Saturday night. #packers

Harlan Huckleby
08-01-2016, 05:57 PM
A couple weeks ago, they published an announcement about how the writers from the two would coordinate coverage and share articles.

Right. Sharing. Team work. It's not like mergers lead to people losing their jobs. Well, they can always come here and work for Madtown.

Freak Out
08-01-2016, 07:56 PM
Early returns on Jones dropping weight and playing mostly outside are pretty positive. It would be a huge deal if he can raise his game, take Neal's snaps and provide an alternative to Perry and Matthews. He is long and not easy to get by as a QB trying to escape. He will make Matthews job easier if he can flush AND blowup a QB like Wilson.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2016/08/01/camp-insider-jones-rush/87761632/

How many round one picks become "niche players" in the NFL?

Patler
08-01-2016, 10:04 PM
How many round one picks become "niche players" in the NFL?

Some become "no players" at all.

Joemailman
08-02-2016, 12:09 AM
Ron Wolf was a great GM. His Packer 1sr round picks:

Terrell Buckley
Wayne Simmons
George Teague
Aaron Taylor
Craig Newsome
John Michels
Ross Verba
Vonnie Holliday
Antuan Edwards
Bubba Franks
Jamal Edwards

Even the great GM's have some real misses. The record of most GM's is worse.

pbmax
08-02-2016, 12:17 AM
1 day later and Barclay is fine!

New from PackersNews: Camp Insider: Barclay bouncing back http://ift.tt/2aEDPf7 #Packers

pbmax
08-02-2016, 12:26 AM
HE CANT LEAD!!!

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 4h4 hours ago
Rodgers and Janis having a long discussion during this timeout. Looks like they're discussing how Rodgers wants a route run.

Both Adams and Janis seem to have made tough, deep catches at tonight's practice. So I am guessing Edgar or Getsy tore them up earlier today looking at Family Night film. :)

Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 4h4 hours ago
Davante Adams having his best practice of camp. Just pulled down deep ball on contested pass from Rollins

Pete Dougherty ‏@PeteDougherty 4h4 hours ago
Janis answers with leaping catch on underthrown bomb, Daniel had hands on ball & Banjo there too but Janis took it away

Fritz
08-02-2016, 06:40 AM
Doncha love the early days of training camp? Adams is on the bubble, he's horrible, he might get cut! That rookie free agent Geronimo Allison - he's seriously contending for the #3 receiver spot!

Beniquez Brown might start at ILB!

Don Barclay's career is OVER. Wait, no it's not.

Man, I love it.

Joemailman
08-02-2016, 07:33 AM
Doncha love the early days of training camp? Adams is on the bubble, he's horrible, he might get cut! That rookie free agent Geronimo Allison - he's seriously contending for the #3 receiver spot!

Man, I love it.

This could be Fergy's breakout year.

bobblehead
08-02-2016, 05:02 PM

Wait...yes it is...even if he is healthy.

Joemailman
08-02-2016, 05:11 PM
Wait...yes it is...even if he is healthy.

I agree. I don't think he can play T anymore, and the packers like for their backup OL to play more than one position.

vince
08-02-2016, 06:14 PM
I agree. I don't think he can play T anymore, and the packers like for their backup OL to play more than one position.
Bakh, Sitton, Linsley, Lang, Bulaga, Tretter, Spriggs, Taylor,

Barclay?, Walker?, Rotheram?, Murphy?

I think you can stash Murphy on the PS and promote him in a pinch if necessary... Rotheram hasn't been great so far...

Radagast
08-02-2016, 11:38 PM
IMO , the Offensive and Defensive lines are the core of the Packers . I expect that the makeup of these lines will radically change next season and this years as well as next years drafts will greatly affect the makeup of those lines . It's not just about getting huge men to fill positions. These XX-Large men must not only be Hercules strong , but possess quickness of both feet and mind . The current 1st stringers , will need to remain healthy , to get the Packers to the SB . Plug in players are important to send in to relieve the starters or for special formations, but the starters work together best and these lines (especially the OL) have experience working as a precision machine .

I feel that this season may be GB's last best hope to capture their 5th Lombardi Trophy for the next 6 seasons . Don't get me wrong, I'm a 50+year Packer fan , but I see things as they are and not as I wish they could be . It would please me greatly to see a changing of the guard with no setbacks, but we all must know that those odds are low indeed .

:glug:

wist43
08-03-2016, 12:13 AM

Man, I love it.

Don't see how Brown can make the roster - he can't run at all.

Allison on the other hand has some talent and upside, but he is very, very raw. Not a good route runner at all... he'd be a good candidate for the PS.

And Don Barclay can still sing if nothing else ;)

Radagast
08-03-2016, 03:33 AM
Which of the Receivers currently on the Packer's roster is "The Fastest" ?

MadtownPacker
08-03-2016, 09:43 AM
The one that has never been arrested! :lol:

Joemailman
08-03-2016, 09:56 AM

You can rule out the one from Fresno State.

Pugger
08-03-2016, 01:21 PM

You make it sound like he's a snail. His speed is just as good as the others - except for Janis and Davis.

Zool
08-03-2016, 02:43 PM
LMGTFY

Nelson 4.51
Janis 4.42
Davis 4.41
Adams 4.56
Cobb 4.46

So I guess if you're taking straight line speed in shorts, it's Davis by a sliver. If you're talking a guy lined up with a CB playing press and a 9 route called, I'll take Nelson over anyone else on the team by 3-4 yards in a 40.

Joemailman
08-03-2016, 03:32 PM

You make it sound like he's a snail. His speed is just as good as the others - except for Janis and Davis.

Just trying to antagonize Mad. :-D

gbgary
08-03-2016, 10:15 PM
LMGTFY

Nelson 4.51
Janis 4.42
Davis 4.41
Adams 4.56
Cobb 4.46

So I guess if you're taking straight line speed in shorts, it's Davis by a sliver. If you're talking a guy lined up with a CB playing press and a 9 route called, I'll take Nelson over anyone else on the team by 3-4 yards in a 40.

pre-acl jordy. who knows how much it's slowed him.

Joemailman
08-03-2016, 10:30 PM
Ryan Wood ‏@ByRyanWood 2h2 hours ago
#Packers key players out at Wednesday practice:
Hundley ankle
Ryan hamstring
Daniels absent personal
Bulaga rest for knee
Murphy concussion

Ryan Wood ‏@ByRyanWood 3h3 hours ago
Nice play by #Packers TE Kennard Backman, jumping over Blake Martinez in back corner of end zone to catch TD on jump-ball fade.

#Packers CB Robertson Daniel keeps making plays. He steps underneath WR Ed Williams to INT Joe Callahan's pass in end zone.

Consecutive TDs for #Packers UDFA WR Geronimo Allison. He broke CB Josh Hawkins' tackle on one. Allison pretty impressive.

#Packers S Ha Ha Clinton-Dix starts red zone period intercepting Aaron Rodgers' off-target pass. Deflected off TE Richard Rodgers' hand.

Bad drop from Jeff Janis on well-thrown ball from #Packers QB Aaron Rodgers. It's been an epidemic for WRs in camp.

Ryan Wood ‏@ByRyanWood 6h6 hours ago
When he says "unique," McCarthy especially impressed with Geronimo Allison's height and length. Very tall and long at 6-3.

Ryan Wood ‏@ByRyanWood 6h6 hours ago
MM on UDFDA WR Geronimo Allison: "He's unique. ... He's off to a good start, and he's different than some of the guys we've had here."

Ryan Wood ‏@ByRyanWood Aug 2
Trgovac compares Kenny Clark's hands to Mike Daniels, which is one of the highest possible compliments he could give.

Zook on #Packers ST ace Chris Banjo: "He's our leader out there. He's our best special teams player. He's like a coach on the field."

Capers impressed with #Packers first-round pick Kenny Clark in camp: "He's got size and strength, but he's got some quick twitch to him."

Moss on Blake Martinez: "You can only be impressed with what Blake has done so far. Very mature." Says his football IQ helps him play fast.

#Packers OC Edgar Bennett says WR Davante Adams improved route running, doing good job of "high pointing" the ball. Needs more consistency.

Joemailman
08-03-2016, 10:32 PM
Geronimo Allison keeps getting mentioned. Guy to watch in the preseason games.

Radagast
08-04-2016, 12:30 AM
OK , so what is the BIG STORY so far at Packers TC ?

Patler
08-04-2016, 05:29 AM

Binford, and it might not even be close. Hopefully, they can teach him to play football.

Patler
08-04-2016, 05:34 AM

That there is no big story.

Pugger
08-04-2016, 06:53 AM
LMGTFY

Nelson 4.51
Janis 4.42
Davis 4.41
Adams 4.56
Cobb 4.46

Is that Jordy's Combine speed? I seem to recall he wasn't 100% that day so this might be how he is now after his knee injury.

Zool
08-04-2016, 08:19 AM
Is that Jordy's Combine speed? I seem to recall he wasn't 100% that day so this might be how he is now after his knee injury.

His combine was 4.62 I believe. I think the 4.51 was his pro day.

Bossman641
08-04-2016, 08:47 AM
Anyone else getting more worried about Montgomery?

http://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/31699/green-bay-packers-wr-ty-montgomery-reveals-severity-of-ankle-surgery

pbmax
08-04-2016, 08:48 AM
Geronimo Allison keeps getting mentioned. Guy to watch in the preseason games.

I want to be very upbeat about Clark and Martinez helping on defense this year, but we've been burned before. I don't know if I can put myself through that again.

:violin:

pbmax
08-04-2016, 08:50 AM

http://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/31699/green-bay-packers-wr-ty-montgomery-reveals-severity-of-ankle-surgery

Yep. I have moved from 6 week PUP to a lost year forecast. And I think the chances this ends a career have gone up too. The complete lockdown on information is suggestive that its bad and they are giving the player time.

pbmax
08-04-2016, 08:54 AM
OK, now that I read the piece I think we can forget this going well. Items 1 and 3 are deal breakers.

Montgomery said his surgery contained three parts: tight ropes inserted into his ligaments to hold them in place, a cartilage repair and -- perhaps most serious -- a microfracture procedure on his talus (a bone between the heel and fibula and tibia).

I have never even heard of Item #1.

ThunderDan
08-04-2016, 09:04 AM
Yep. I have moved from 6 week PUP to a lost year forecast. And I think the chances this ends a career have gone up too. The complete lockdown on information is suggestive that its bad and they are giving the player time.

This is probably good news for Abby. You now have 6 WR competing for 5 or 6 WR spots. That really helps the WR who would have come in 7th if Monty was healthy.

Joemailman
08-04-2016, 09:13 AM

I don't know. He says he's been running, and can run some routes. If he were a year away from playing, he'd probably have his foot in a boot. 6 weeks IMO. If he goes on the PUP, he's got almost 3 months before he'd be eligible to play.

pbmax
08-04-2016, 09:46 AM
The bad news is that we are now counting on two guys who have the dropsies (Adams and Janis) plus one that is one serious head injury away from retiring (Abby).

Patler
08-04-2016, 09:53 AM
My concern is if it is really fixed or not. It might be one of those things they can fix for everyday life of an average person, but not for what an NFL wide receiver uses his ankle for. That he is allowed to "run some routes" implies he can not run others, and that all this time after surgery they are still concerned with potential re-injury.

Bakhtiari talked about how his ankle will never be as it was, and that it will require what I believe he called "maintenance" for as long as he continues to play. Montgomery seems a lot worse than Bakhtiari ever was.

hoosier
08-04-2016, 10:59 AM
Packer hamstring --> Packer ankle.

Carolina_Packer
08-04-2016, 11:29 AM
Binford, and it might not even be close. Hopefully, they can teach him to play football.

A nice little article about Harvey Binford. He ran a 4.22 in the 40 during an intramural competition at the University of Missouri-St. Louis on his second attempt. His first attempt was in the low 4.3's If he can field punts and has elusiveness (and not just speed), he might be a good PS candidate. He'll be fun to watch in the pre-season.

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2016/08/03/harvey-binford-could-fastest-green-bay-packer/88004290/

Smidgeon
08-04-2016, 12:59 PM
LMGTFY

Nelson 4.51
Janis 4.42
Davis 4.41
Adams 4.56
Cobb 4.46

Anyone have a weight/speed ratio or a height/speed ratio for each handy?

wist43
08-04-2016, 02:28 PM
The bad news is that we are now counting on two guys who have the dropsies (Adams and Janis) plus one that is one serious head injury away from retiring (Abby).

Adams is looking like a bust; Janis has a 10 cent head - have to place our hope on Abby, b/c one thing is for sure - since JJ signed with SD, TT won't lift a finger to sign a vet.

MadtownPacker
08-04-2016, 03:21 PM
Adams is looking like a bust; Janis has a 10 cent head - have to place our hope on Abby, b/c one thing is for sure - since JJ signed with SD, TT won't lift a finger to sign a vet.I was having some worry about the homie Adams, mostly due to all the Caspers look alikes here hating on him in hope that their new great, White hope would show he had a brain. But now that you have called Adams a bust I am confident he will have a good season. This is cuz you my antidepressant popping friend make the right call about as much Johnny Manziel at a all night coke party. :lol:

QBME
08-04-2016, 03:32 PM

Your font size?

VegasPackFan
08-04-2016, 03:43 PM
Anyone have a weight/speed ratio or a height/speed ratio for each handy?

Nelson 107.8 (86th percentile)
Janis 117.9 (97th percentile)
Davis 98.5 (63rd percentile)
Adams 98.1 (61st percentile)
Cobb 93.1 (45th percentile)

Janis and Davis have very high agility scores as well.

wist43
08-04-2016, 03:56 PM
I was having some worry about the homie Adams, mostly due to all the Caspers look alikes here hating on him in hope that their new great, White hope would show he had a brain. But now that you have called Adams a bust I am confident he will have a good season. This is cuz you my antidepressant popping friend make the right call about as much Johnny Manziel at a all night coke party. :lol:

You been snorting tacos again?? ;)

"Bust" is a relative term... especially wrt to the Packers; b/c, no matter what, a guy like Adams is going to play b/c Ted won't do anything to upgrade the position from without. Because that is the case, Adams will have some receptions, some yards, and a few TD's - which the TT lovers and homers can hang their hat on. That said, he certainly isn't going to produce like other 2nd rounders we've had, i.e. Jordy and Jennings.

If you're only avenue of player procurement is the draft, you necessarily have to hit on enough of those guys at critical positions to contend. Adams, if he does bust, would be a big miss - especially when there are other WR's out there that were drafted around him that are producing big numbers, or showing big potential.

To me, we still look like a 2nd tier playoff team. Another likely "one and done" or a similar bouncing like last year.

Pugger
08-04-2016, 04:10 PM
Jordy had to play for 3 seasons before he became the player he is today so I believe you and others are too hasty in labeling Adams a bust. What veteran WR should Thompson had pursued? We all saw how James Jones disappeared last year once our opponents figured out he was slower than molasses in January.

Carolina_Packer
08-04-2016, 04:53 PM

Not challenging your assertion at all, because you might be right. When has the Packer brass ever been open when speaking about injuries and time-tables for recovery? My thought is, if it's conjecture, why bother putting anything out there at this point, especially if you don't know if he'll be on target in his recovery. I think you're right about him starting on PUP and coming back after week 6. Fingers crossed; I like the kid's talent.

wist43
08-04-2016, 05:20 PM
Jordy had to play for 3 seasons before he became the player he is today so I believe you and others are too hasty in labeling Adams a bust. What veteran WR should Thompson had pursued? We all saw how James Jones disappeared last year once our opponents figured out he was slower than molasses in January.

Not saying he should have signed anyone in the offseason.

Adams, Janis, and Monty looked like a good bunch to sort out below Jordy and Cobb - BUT - now that it looks like Monty won't play this year, and Janis hasn't progressed in the playbook, and Adams is looking like he'll fall on the lesser side of average...

We all know that TT won't bring in any help until next years draft. There are sure to be several viable vets that can serve as stop-gaps, or other WR's with upside that will be released by other teams in the numbers game. TT won't look at any of them.

Abby is our best bet for #3 WR; maybe install some screens for Davis; and Adams can lumber along as the #4... If Abby steps up the group can be servicable, but if we get hit with any injuries - especially Jordy - it will be another long season of frustrating offensive football.

pbmax
08-04-2016, 09:30 PM
Not challenging your assertion at all, because you might be right. When has the Packer brass ever been open when speaking about injuries and time-tables for recovery? My thought is, if it's conjecture, why bother putting anything out there at this point, especially if you don't know if he'll be on target in his recovery. I think you're right about him starting on PUP and coming back after week 6. Fingers crossed; I like the kid's talent.

As an org, Packers are not very talkative about these things. However, we usually do get something. Compared to the rest of the League, the Packers are slow, but not New England paranoid. McCarthy usually comments then just shuts it down after an update or two.

The most recent example like Monty was Sherrod, who, like Monty, had to come forward well after the fact to explain that they had to reset or fix his fractured leg again after his first surgery and that was the reason for his first aborted return. As it turns out, Sherrod did not want to disclose the info for a long time. Preferring to keep his work quiet.

Monty might have felt the same way. But somehow we never seem to get to this point knowing very little unless its very bad and the player has a lot of obstacles to overcome.

hoosier
08-04-2016, 09:53 PM
The one thing that distinguishes Monty from previous injuries that ended up being much worse than originally thought is that McCarthy said he expects all of the PUPs to be active by start of season. I don't think he would come out and say that if they suspected TM's season was in doubt. He would be coy and say he's taking it one step at a time or something like that.

pbmax
08-05-2016, 08:48 AM
Fair point. I wouldn't put to past him to generalize, but its not the usual approach. But I bet Monty is not the only guy with a bit of an unknown timetable.

Patler
08-05-2016, 09:05 AM
The one thing that distinguishes Monty from previous injuries that ended up being much worse than originally thought is that McCarthy said he expects all of the PUPs to be active by start of season. I don't think he would come out and say that if they suspected TM's season was in doubt. He would be coy and say he's taking it one step at a time or something like that.

Fair point. I wouldn't put to past him to generalize, but its not the usual approach. But I bet Monty is not the only guy with a bit of an unknown timetable.

When the PUP list included 6 starters and pseudo-starters, I would almost expect him to generalize, just to avoid having to discuss each one separately.

Guiness
08-05-2016, 10:20 AM

I think his disappearance had more to do with teams figuring out they did not have to double cover or use their #1CB on Cobb or Adams, putting their #1CB on JJ. He did ok when he was drawing the #2 or #3 CB.

Patler
08-05-2016, 10:46 AM
I think his disappearance had more to do with teams figuring out they did not have to double cover or use their #1CB on Cobb or Adams, putting their #1CB on JJ. He did ok when he was drawing the #2 or #3 CB.

I think his disappearance also had to do with his hamstring injury at first, which some said was significantly limiting. I think that was extended or compounded as AR seemingly grew more and more unwilling to throw into tight coverages as the season progressed. JJ wasn't all that open early in the year, but AR threw it to him anyway, and he caught a lot of difficult ones. Later in the year some of those same opportunities appeared to be there, but AR wouldn't throw. Rogers grew to distrust all of his receivers, it seemed.

red
08-05-2016, 01:57 PM
well reggie ragland looks to have blown out his knee today

so ends the great draft debate of 2016

pbmax
08-05-2016, 10:06 PM
well reggie ragland looks to have blown out his knee today

so ends the great draft debate of 2016

I'd feel better if 1/3 of the roster didn't sit out the last practice.

Smidgeon
08-07-2016, 08:51 PM

They figured it out long before that...

:D

Fritz
08-08-2016, 12:11 PM
Since they're not practicing today, I'm assuming no one will get hurt moving boxes at home or playing golf, so it's another good day in training camp.

gbgary
08-08-2016, 12:52 PM

and jordy is an unknown too. this was all my take before the draft. ugh. if the allison kid is actually doing something good they have to find a way to keep him.

pbmax
08-09-2016, 08:35 AM
From Jason Wilde's Twitter:

Rodgers in @WildeAndTausch interview:
Abbrederis "a phenomenal camp."
Cobb "looks great."
Adams "a great camp."
Janis "has progressed."

Smidgeon
08-09-2016, 10:55 AM

Cobb "looks great."
Adams "a great camp."
Janis "has progressed."

Either damning praise, or Rodgers knows the praise goes to Janis's head.

Harlan Huckleby
08-09-2016, 12:48 PM
Either damning praise, or Rodgers knows the praise goes to Janis's head.

Well, last year when a reporter asked Rodgers about Janis, Rodgers would start talking about some different player. So I'd say Rodgers has progressed.

hoosier
08-09-2016, 01:43 PM

Cobb "looks great."
Adams "a great camp."
Janis "has progressed."

That's it, we are going to see a repeat of 2015 only worse. Abby will miss all sixteen games due to postconcussion syndrome, Cobb will get stymied by press coverage and finally give up, Adams will drop every throw that goes his way and will be gone by midseason, and Janis will catch 22 passes for 1022 yards but will always be the sixth option in Rodgers's progression.

VegasPackFan
08-09-2016, 01:51 PM
What about the kid Trevor Davis? I'm worried that we heard great news early on and almost nothing after the pads went on.

pbmax
08-09-2016, 05:00 PM
FromRapSheet:

#Packers TE Jared Cook has been cleared after foot surgery and is coming off PUP, source said. That helps.

pbmax
08-09-2016, 05:03 PM
Wilde Twitter:

#Packers coach Mike McCarthy says TE Jared Cook (foot), ILB Sam Barrington (foot), WR Ty Montgomery (ankle) are off PUP and will practice.

Pugger
08-09-2016, 05:36 PM
Wilde Twitter:

#Packers coach Mike McCarthy says TE Jared Cook (foot), ILB Sam Barrington (foot), WR Ty Montgomery (ankle) are off PUP and will practice.

This is excellent news. Unfortunately I won't see them play much until the regular season starts seeing I am no longer in WI (we have returned to FL after spending 10 weeks in GB) and these preseason games won't be shown nationally.

denverYooper
08-09-2016, 06:52 PM
Next M3 "setback" comment coming in 3... 2...

RashanGary
08-09-2016, 07:18 PM
i have a feeling Cobb will be the packers most productive wr this year. He was not himself last year. He's had healthy legs all offseason and had time to heal his shoulder. He's going to be 100% this year. Jordys knee will take a little out of him. Still a good player, but Cobb is in his absolute prime and had healthy legs so I predict 1000 yards for jordy and 1200 for Cobb with Abby and Adams and monty splitting up 1500 between whoevers hot. We Won't see much Janis or that rookie. Janis is a rock head and the rookie is a rookie.

VegasPackFan
08-09-2016, 08:28 PM
Watching live twitter feed on practice. Cook and Monty coming out strong right away. Janis sounds terrible. Would they cut him to keep Adams, Abby, Davis, Monty?

pbmax
08-09-2016, 08:35 PM
Not seeing Jake Ryan. Sam Barrington stepping back in with ones next to Martinez #PackersCamp

ITS THE BM LINEUP!

Eddie Lacy, Ty Montgomery and Jared Cook all back at practice #PackersCamp

Funny moment. One on ones over, Clay Matthews steps into passing drill to pick off pass intended for Ripkowski #PackersCamp

Bulaga appears to be resting again tonight, Spriggs getting work at RT. Had another good set of 1 on 1s

Lang and Barrington both in combo #PackersCamp

Donny Barclay taking first center rep in no huddle. Haven't seen Tretter

Beautiful catch in seam by Cook in traffic. And we're off

During WR vs CB period before team no huddle, Abbrederis had another phenomenal one handed grab on sideline #PackersCamp

Packers making use of both snappers. Lovato snapping to Masthay; Schmitt, who worked out for GB this AM and signed, snapping to Mortell

Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 57m57 minutes ago
Lane Taylor helps open hole for Crockett TD on goal line

Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 56m56 minutes ago
Defense bites on fake to Lacy in goal line, 12 rolls out to hit Cook on uncontested TD

SECRET FOUTH ROUND FANTASY FOOTBALL SPECIAL PICK: JARED COOK

pbmax
08-09-2016, 08:36 PM
Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 53m53 minutes ago
HHCD pops up pass intended for Rodgers. No DB in vicinity but was high enough to give defense a chance at pick

Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 51m51 minutes ago
Appears Flores has dropped out. I think that leaves Barclay and Rotheram as center options #PackersCamp

Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 45m45 minutes ago
Davante Adams goes up and snags nice pass from 12 In middle of end zone. Now Cook makes another nice catch in same area

FRESNO STATE! FRESNO STATE! FRESNO STATE!

Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 43m43 minutes ago
Montgomery looks quick and explosive in first practice back. Seems confident

I AM NOT CHEERING FOR STANFORD

Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 40m40 minutes ago
Jared Cook catching everything so far. Rodgers looking to him often in red zone

Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 26m26 minutes ago
Mason Crosby 6 for 7 (33, 41L, 43R, 44R, 45L, 53R). Missed from 48. Alternated with Masthay and Mortell holding. Lovato snapping

THAT DEMI LOVATO IS MULTI-TAENTED

Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 21m21 minutes ago
Rodgers to Cook again in seam. Stop me if you've heard this before. Earlier, Rollins made nice grab on pass for what looked like INT

SECRET THIRD ROUND FANTASY FOOTBALL SPECIAL PICK: JARED COOK
PLUS BONUS QUENTIN ROLLINS BAND MENTION

Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 17m17 minutes ago
Brilliant pass from Rodgers to Cobb 20 yards down field with Cobb coming on a cross. Microscopic window

Joemailman
08-09-2016, 08:43 PM
SECRET FOUTH ROUND FANTASY FOOTBALL SPECIAL PICK: JARED COOK

Got it.

pbmax
08-09-2016, 08:44 PM
Got it.

There has been an update.

Harlan Huckleby
08-09-2016, 08:47 PM
Now cook makes another nice catch in same area
http://www.lobshots.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/chefs.jpg

pbmax
08-09-2016, 08:52 PM
Monty had some dropsies as well.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 23m23 minutes ago
Lots of tricks to help guys catch ball but hasn't done much good tonight. Cobb having big night but lots of drops otherwise.

Radagast
08-09-2016, 10:30 PM
Much is made of the WRs , but how do the CBs look ? What about the LBs ? Is anyone excelling on Special Teams ? What about Lacy / Starks , are they looking crisp and sharp ? Where not going to get the full story from Packers,com !

:glug::glug::glug:

pbmax
08-09-2016, 10:58 PM
Apparently the Packers have a bit of a problem at long snapper. Goode is gone as he git hurt and released last year. They signed Rick Lovato who was uneventful (and presumably successful) for the last month+.

But Packer Report said he had not nailed down the job in camp. So they brought in Jesse Schmitt from Purdue. His first practice? Hurt his hand and missed the rest of practice.

http://www.scout.com/nfl/packers/story/1694526-packers-sign-snapping-challenger

pbmax
08-09-2016, 11:09 PM
New DNPs: OL JC Tretter (illness), RT Bryan Bulaga (rest) #PackersCamp

gbgary
08-10-2016, 08:35 AM
Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 56m56 minutes ago
Defense bites on fake to Lacy in goal line, 12 rolls out to hit Cook on uncontested TD

lol...it's not like the d doesn't know EVERY FKN PLAY THE O RUNS! nice though.

Joemailman
08-10-2016, 08:39 AM

Okay, everybody can exhale now.

pbmax
08-10-2016, 08:52 AM
Okay, everybody can exhale now.

Still hoping out for the next practice.

pbmax
08-10-2016, 08:54 AM
Bobby from the GBPG @ JSO
http://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2016/08/10/camp-insider-cook-dazzles-debut/88461712/

Thumbs down

Coach Mike McCarthy’s seventh practice in pads since camp began 15 days ago contained 77 plays of 11-on-11 competition. It was a hot but almost windless night, and both Rodgers and his teammates on offense probably were as sharp as they have been all summer. He was rifling the ball all over the yard, and often times the passes were deadly accurate. Once again, however, WR Jeff Janis had almost no production. Of his six targeted throws, Janis’ lone catch was on a bubble screen. On his second-to-last attempt, Janis ran some type of hook on second-and-8 but CB Randall Jette shouldered inside of him and intercepted Joe Callahan’s pass. His last target came on third-and=3 to begin an all-out blitz period. Lined up wide left, Janis ran an inside-breaking route and the pass from Rodgers fell inconplete at the first-down marker. Rodgers didn’t appear to say anything, but his body language suggested that he wasn’t happy with the route. With Jordy Nelson still sidelined and Ty Montgomery sitting out until Tuesday night, Janis in some ways has squandered an opportunity to establish himself as a player to reckon with on offense.

pbmax
08-10-2016, 10:29 AM
Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 9m9 minutes ago
McCarthy: I thought Jared, Ty & Sam did some really good things yesterday. Jared Cook made some really good catches in the red zone.

Ryan Wood ‏@ByRyanWood 9m9 minutes ago
#Packers coach Mike McCarthy: "Jared Cook made some excellent catches, particularly in the red zone. It was great to have him out there."

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 8m8 minutes ago
McCarthy on Cook: Gives us another big target. He fits the way we want to play. It was good to get him out there. He's off to a good start.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 9m9 minutes ago
McCarthy on TEs: Game-planning falls into that. He don’t have enough TEs, you don’t have enough OLBS, that body type. Gives you versatility.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 8m8 minutes ago
McCarthy on 3 PUP returnees: Plan was limited team. Frankly, I think coaches got a little carried away. Probably practiced more than like.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 7m7 minutes ago
McCarthy: Looking at injury of new LS Jesse Schmitt. I don’t have anything for you.

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 6m6 minutes ago
McCarthy: I thought Sam (Barrington) did some good things. He was flying around in the half-line drills. He's an impactful player.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 5m5 minutes ago
McCarthy: After Cleveland we’ll be in an in-season schedule. Only difference is it’s a six-day week instead of a seven-day week.

oldbutnotdeadyet
08-10-2016, 11:31 AM
Man, it sure sounds like Jeff Janis is not long for Packerland. I would be disappointed, but I guess whatever is best for the team.

GBkrzygrl
08-10-2016, 12:10 PM
For whatever reason a lot of us have had a soft spot for Jeff. But it doesn't sound like he is improving like I hoped he would. Maybe Allison or Davis can step up. Still not crazy about Adams but if he improves over last year....which wouldn't be hard then I can live with it.

Patler
08-10-2016, 01:22 PM
This is early preseason. Nothing means a whole lot until preseason games start and they get deeper into the camp schedule. Early camp phenoms often fade, and many times players come on late in camp to stand out in the last few preseason games.

pbmax
08-10-2016, 01:27 PM
Nothing about this reflects well on McCarthy or to a lesser extent, Rodgers.

Yes, just about every receiver except Janis was hurt last year. But more and more it seems like the Packer offense is setup up in such a highly tuned way that simple player losses have exaggerated effects. That 2015 offense after Week 5 was as bad as Rodgers first year starting, maybe worse.

http://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/31967/for-aaron-rodgers-return-of-jordy-package-should-cure-most-offensive-ills

pbmax
08-10-2016, 01:30 PM
Eddie Lacy ✔@Lil_Eazy_Ana_42
Not much in this room, might as well be productive. #LateNight #BeachbodyPerformance #PackersCamp

I AM AT A LOSS TO EXPLAIN WHY HE LOOKS PUDGY IN HIS UNI

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CpJ_RWVUkAA2VEH.jpg:large

Can we just get this over with and have him dipped in the pool to measure his specific gravity/body fat%?

“Yeah, I saw it,” Tony Horton said proudly. “He doesn’t want to lose what he got. He understands that he’s got to keep doing all those same things that we were doing together. He’s got that little tiny room that he’s in and he’s feeling good and he’s fired up. He’s feeling so good, and I think he just wants to keep that mojo up.”

pbmax
08-10-2016, 01:36 PM
Ryan Wood @ByRyanWood
Now Allison jumps over three #Packers defenders in back end zone, catching his second TD from Aaron Rodgers. Watch out for him in preseason.

Ladies and gentleman, your new UDFA crush.

Smidgeon
08-10-2016, 02:22 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vs6HbYit5-A

pbmax
08-10-2016, 02:58 PM
Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 56m56 minutes ago
Montgomery said sitting out end of practice was plan. Feeling good and confident

OK. I AM OFF THE 'CAREER ENDING INJURY' BANDWAGON. NOW DRIVING THE 'HASN'T BEEN THE SAME SINCE' BANDWAGON.

pbmax
08-10-2016, 09:07 PM
Bobbo on GBPG at JSO: http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2016/08/10/camp-insider-rookie-spriggs-roll/88516764/

High on Jason Spriggs who is 16-3-1 in pass blocking drills (1 on 1). Spent a lot of time at left tackle as well (odd because I keep reading right tackle and I know Bulaga has been given days off). But TJ Lang thinks he can play.

Thumbs down to Trevor Davis:

Rookie WR Trevor Davis, a fifth-round draft choice, has come back down to earth after flashing with several big plays the first two days of camp when the practices were conducted without pads. On Wednesday afternoon, Davis committed the cardinal sin of not getting his face in front of the defender on a quick slant from QB Marquise Williams. Thus, CB Quinten Rollins was able to get inside and make what should have been an interception (he dropped it). It’s a mistake that Davis cannot afford to make, at least in a game. In 77 plays of 11-on-11 work Tuesday night, he didn’t have a catch. On the one ball thrown to Davis, he was covered deep step-for-step by CB Robertson Daniel and Aaron Rodgers’ pass was overthrown. Davis (6-1, 188) is thin and needs work escaping the jam. Of the four rookie free-agent wide receivers in camp, Geronimo Allison of Illinois easily has been the most productive.

Abby beat the Octopus (Gunter) deep on a nice play. I seriously am not rooting for anyone harder than these two guys.

pbmax
08-10-2016, 09:17 PM
Brought in to challenge an up and down Lovato.

New from JSOnline and PackersNews: Long snapper Schmitt suffered broken hand in 1st practice http://ift.tt/2aLgFAG #Packers

JS Comments ‏@JSComments 2h2 hours ago
I would not make Rodgers the highest paid player in the NFL but instead would offer him a bonus for every year he shows personal improvement

call_me_ishmael
08-10-2016, 10:30 PM
I wish I could find a video of the monty injury. I remember watching and just thinking his ankle was totally F'd. It was really ugly IIRC.

pbmax
08-11-2016, 08:27 AM
Should post this is the locker room.

Vincent Verhei ‏@FO_VVerhei
Seriously. Just take in everything about this image and remember: this game went to overtime.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CY5bK74UMAA3xhg.jpg:large

Radagast
08-11-2016, 09:17 AM
Over in another forum , they are already posting about Jeff Janis. Many like his speed, while others doubt he has IT between his ears . Some say that he is not a dependable route runner for Aaron Rodgers , while others say that his main value is as a gunner on Special Teams .

I trust that if he makes the 2016 Roster it will be because he is considered a valuable asset . What do members of this forum think about J.Janis , well I'm hoping to hear that !

:glug:

Pugger
08-11-2016, 09:36 AM
Apparently the Packers have a bit of a problem at long snapper. Goode is gone as he git hurt and released last year. They signed Rick Lovato who was uneventful (and presumably successful) for the last month+.

But Packer Report said he had not nailed down the job in camp. So they brought in Jesse Schmitt from Purdue. His first practice? Hurt his hand and missed the rest of practice.

http://www.scout.com/nfl/packers/story/1694526-packers-sign-snapping-challenger

Is Goode's injury career threatening?

Pugger
08-11-2016, 09:38 AM
Man, it sure sounds like Jeff Janis is not long for Packerland. I would be disappointed, but I guess whatever is best for the team.

I suspect his ST prowess will ensure he makes the team not unlike Jarrett Bush did all those years.

Patler
08-11-2016, 10:43 AM
Is Goode's injury career threatening?

He tore his ACL, and unfortunately for him, his contract was up at the end of the year. GB didn't release him, just haven't resigned him...yet.
JSO had an article early this summer that said he probably can play this year, perhaps even from the start of the season, but wouldn't play during TC.

Fritz
08-11-2016, 11:53 AM
If Janis and Rodgers were both coming into the league at the same time, I wonder if their relationship might be better.

KYPack
08-11-2016, 01:13 PM
Janis is a cipher. On one hand, you've got a ton of physical talent and (rare) Caucasian speed.

OTOH, he is STILL green and a mess mentally at times. His mental makeup bounces from disinterested to lost. He is either looking around trying to catch up with the other boys or not paying attention. When he finally figures out what's up and they call a route that he understands and matches his talent, he can be a bitch.

He's in the big year, the 3rd season.

It's his time to get going

VegasPackFan
08-11-2016, 01:38 PM
Janis. I think if he wasn't so damn good at ST's, he'd be a cut this year. But they can be a little more patient since he can contribute significantly in one phase of the game for them.

gbgary
08-11-2016, 01:39 PM
I suspect his ST prowess will ensure he makes the team not unlike Jarrett Bush did all those years.

i don't know about that anymore. if davis or allison clearly have better camps than him i think he's gone.

Fritz
08-11-2016, 01:52 PM
I dunno. They're going to try like hell to harness that talent before they let him go. My guess is that he gets one more season to show that he can play the game at this level.

GBkrzygrl
08-11-2016, 02:00 PM
Janis is a cipher. On one hand, you've got a ton of physical talent and (rare) Caucasian speed.

OTOH, he is STILL green and a mess mentally at times. His mental makeup bounces from disinterested to lost. He is either looking around trying to catch up with the other boys or not paying attention. When he finally figures out what's up and they call a route that he understands and matches his talent, he can be a bitch.

He's in the big year, the 3rd season.

It's his time to get going

Just out of curiosity where did you get the info that he was not paying attention.

I am still going to wait until the preseason games to see how he does. If he can't do it, he can't do it. But I would hate for him to be one of those guys that we cut and he goes to another team and does phenomenally well.

call_me_ishmael
08-11-2016, 04:27 PM
Sounds like the Cal rookie has come back down to earth. Probably stash him on PS and you've got your 6. Monty is practicing much earlier than I expected him to for having a major surgery in the off-season.

texaspackerbacker
08-11-2016, 05:55 PM
It would be an absolute damn shame to throw away Janis. He is gonna be a star-quality player, and I really HOPE it is for the Packers. They should have done a much better job of using and developing him than they have up to now.

red
08-11-2016, 06:53 PM
you can't fix stupid

it seems like janis' only issue is between his head. he just can't figure the game out, can't read defenses. if he hasn't come close to figuring it out in 2 years, i have serious doubts he can

dsilby
08-11-2016, 06:56 PM
It would be an absolute damn shame to throw away Janis. He is gonna be a star-quality player, and I really HOPE it is for the Packers. They should have done a much better job of using and developing him than they have up to now.
Before I laugh, what do you mean by "star" player?
I think Janis can be a very good special teams player and who knows, maybe a pro bowl special teams player. I guess that is possible. So if that's what you mean, I can possibly agree.

But no way at all is Janis a pro bowl "Star" WR.
It's bizarre that you're blaming Green Bay for Janis's inability to develop. Janis is the perfect example of a player with a lot of ability and a 10 cent brain. He has decent hands and fast as lightning. But Janis still a few years later has not learned the playbook. He still can't run proper routes and still has no idea where to line up or where to make his breaks. That is not the Packers fault, it's Janis not being able to grasp it. Look at all the other receivers, they seem to get it just fine. Packers WR's not knowing the system is not common practice, it's not been a problem. But for Janis, he just doesn't get it. I wish he did though, that would make the team deeper.

dsilby
08-11-2016, 06:58 PM
Sounds like the Cal rookie has come back down to earth. Probably stash him on PS and you've got your 6. Monty is practicing much earlier than I expected him to for having a major surgery in the off-season.

Only problem with the PS is I highly doubt he makes it there without another team picking him up.

Joemailman
08-11-2016, 07:26 PM
I think Janis can be a very good special teams player and who knows, maybe a pro bowl special teams player. I guess that is possible. So if that's what you mean, I can possibly agree.

It's bizarre that you're blaming Green Bay for Janis's inability to develop. Janis is the perfect example of a player with a lot of ability and a 10 cent brain. He has decent hands and fast as lightning. But Janis still a few years later has not learned the playbook. He still can't run proper routes and still has no idea where to line up or where to make his breaks. That is not the Packers fault, it's Janis not being able to grasp it. Look at all the other receivers, they seem to get it just fine. Packers WR's not knowing the system is not common practice, it's not been a problem. But for Janis, he just doesn't get it. I wish he did though, that would make the team deeper.

Only problem with the PS is I highly doubt he makes it there without another team picking him up.

Agree on both counts. Janis is in his 3rd year and doesn't seem to be making progress. He needs to understand that Arod doesn't play a lot in preseason games, so he needs to develop a rapport in practice.

Trevor Davis was a 5th round pick, so other teams probably had him on their radar. Doubtful he would make it to PS if released. Right now Geronimo Allison is probably ahead of Janis.

texaspackerbacker
08-11-2016, 07:30 PM

Janis is gonna be an all-pro wide receiver - mark my words, hopefully for the Packers, but if they fritter away his career and let him go, unfortunately for somebody else. If his problem is mental - not comprehending that offense, that is on the coaches, and hell yeah, it is fixable. If his problem is attitudinal, that too is on the coaches. I would assume there have been a LOT of outstanding wide receivers through the years that were world class dumbasses and/or crap attitude players. The first name that comes to mind is Dez Bryant, but I'm sure there have been a ton of others. That should NOT stop a guy with raw talent from developing.

Rutnstrut
08-11-2016, 07:54 PM
Janis is far from stupid. If they would put the same energy into him as they have Adams, he would be much farther along.

dsilby
08-11-2016, 08:06 PM
Janis is gonna be an all-pro wide receiver - mark my words, hopefully for the Packers, but if they fritter away his career and let him go, unfortunately for somebody else. If his problem is mental - not comprehending that offense, that is on the coaches, and hell yeah, it is fixable. If his problem is attitudinal, that too is on the coaches. I would assume there have been a LOT of outstanding wide receivers through the years that were world class dumbasses and/or crap attitude players. The first name that comes to mind is Dez Bryant, but I'm sure there have been a ton of others. That should NOT stop a guy with raw talent from developing.
Wow
Are you saying Janis could be like Dez Bryant with the right coaching staff?
Are you telling me that Dez Bryant is a dumbass? How do you know this? And I mean football smarts, not street smarts.

Jeff Janis has a wonderlic score of 30, he is not a dumbass.

The problem is, he has a big problem figuring out this system and where he needs to be, nobody else seems to have a problem. You can blame the coaching staff all you want, but don't you think they are doing everything possible for Janis to help him out. At what point is it the players fault?

Jeff was a late 7th round pick in 2014. I have absolutely no idea what you've seen from him besides the hail mary catch to think he's a pro bowl receiver.
But God love your optimism.

dsilby
08-11-2016, 08:08 PM
Janis is far from stupid. If they would put the same energy into him as they have Adams, he would be much farther along.

What does this mean?
I want to know how you know exactly what's happening in the film room and on the field, etc...

dsilby
08-11-2016, 08:11 PM
Also, it's silly to think that a player drafted in the 7th round and not impressing is going to get the same attention as a player drafted in the 2nd round and has shown flashes.

pbmax
08-11-2016, 09:32 PM

What is missing?

ThunderDan
08-11-2016, 09:40 PM
Wow
Are you saying Janis could be like Dez Bryant with the right coaching staff?
Are you telling me that Dez Bryant is a dumbass? How do you know this? And I mean football smarts, not street smarts.

Jeff Janis has a wonderlic score of 30, he is not a dumbass.

The problem is, he has a big problem figuring out this system and where he needs to be, nobody else seems to have a problem. You can blame the coaching staff all you want, but don't you think they are doing everything possible for Janis to help him out. At what point is it the players fault?

Jeff was a late 7th round pick in 2014. I have absolutely no idea what you've seen from him besides the hail mary catch to think he's a pro bowl receiver.
But God love your optimism.

Yup, his post totally is nuts. To think that the Packers who invested a 7th round pick, hundreds of thousands of dollars and two years and a preseason would not invest the time to bring Janis around is crazy.

ThunderDan
08-11-2016, 09:46 PM
The Packers will play anyone with talent and drive. Look at Sam Shields as example 1. He was an undrafted free agent.

Zool
08-11-2016, 09:55 PM
Helpful tip, Tex and Rut love the attention. Do with that what you will

KYPack
08-11-2016, 09:59 PM
Firstly, Jeff Janis will make this years roster. His ST contributions will get him a spot, if nothing else.

He went to a small town high school. Then he went to a division II school.

In two seasons with GB he's had 2 catches in '14.
Last season, he had two grabs in the regular season.
Then, he blows up in the play-off game and comes up huge.

He's a good kid, physically talented with solid NFL speed.

He's just now catching up with the game. Because he was behind the mark mentally, he was very slow to be incorporated into the offense. You've got to be sharp and get the others (espec. the QB) to trust you. He's right at that point now. In a way, '16 is like his 3rd rookie year. I think he will make a move this year. Hell, 20 catches would be a 400% improvement on his regular season production.

A sure fire All-Pro? Take another slug of Kool-Aid, Tex.

texaspackerbacker
08-11-2016, 10:19 PM
Zool, I'd tell you what a scumbag and an imbecile you are if this was FYI, but since it ain't, I'll just let people read your intelligent words hahahahahaha.

I did say IF Janis was mentally or attitudinally deficient - I don't particularly believe that, but some people say it like it's gospel. Whatever the case, it's ON THE COACHING STAFF if he falls short of his potential with the Packers. I'd hate to see us lose him and then have him resurface with somebody else and play like a star.

For the guy who questioned the Dez Bryant example of a person who has a bunch of mental and attitude problems but still plays like a star, maybe you should research some of his history.

I don't know why Janis hasn't been brought along faster. I doubt anybody else in here does either. It's annoying and disappointing to me, though, and it is not the only example of that past and present - Packer player(s) seemingly having the most ability getting held back in favor of ........ whoever for whatever reason. I've seen various stuff on various teams in several sports - what it seems to me is coaches and GMs getting a lot of credit when the teams win, but not (IMO) maximizing how good the team could do.

dsilby
08-12-2016, 02:18 AM
Zool, I'd tell you what a scumbag and an imbecile you are if this was FYI, but since it ain't, I'll just let people read your intelligent words hahahahahaha.

I did say IF Janis was mentally or attitudinally deficient - I don't particularly believe that, but some people say it like it's gospel. Whatever the case, it's ON THE COACHING STAFF if he falls short of his potential with the Packers. I'd hate to see us lose him and then have him resurface with somebody else and play like a star.

For the guy who questioned the Dez Bryant example of a person who has a bunch of mental and attitude problems but still plays like a star, maybe you should research some of his history.

I don't know why Janis hasn't been brought along faster. I doubt anybody else in here does either. It's annoying and disappointing to me, though, and it is not the only example of that past and present - Packer player(s) seemingly having the most ability getting held back in favor of ........ whoever for whatever reason. I've seen various stuff on various teams in several sports - what it seems to me is coaches and GMs getting a lot of credit when the teams win, but not (IMO) maximizing how good the team could do.
Alright. Let's be clear here.
1) Name me all these players that have had the most ability and the Packers chose to hold them back? I'd love to know who these players are.

2) Nobody ever said Jeff Janis has a bad attitude, nobody. You're either making that up or hearing things wrong.

3) Nobody is saying Janis has mentally issues as gospel like you said. All you have to do is follow the team, it's that easy. Every single beat writer since Janis was drafted that are in camp and on the sideline ALL say the exact same thing. That he just does not get the system. Read an article, listen to the reporters. It's all out there.

4) To say the Packers are not giving him his fair chance is just flat wrong. Janis is playing with the 1's every day in practice. Not sure what else you want. The guy is playing with the starters. He's just having a very hard keeping up.
And this isn't Janis hating. I'm sure every single Packer fan wants him to be awesome, that only helps the team. But so far he's been far from it. And there is nobody to blame by himself.

Here's a quote from Janis from Wednesday,
“I feel like I’ve gotten better at route-running. That’s something I’ve been trying to focus on. Now it’s just reading the defense and being where I’m supposed when Aaron wants me to be there.”

So even Janis knows he's having problems running routes and being where he's supposed to be, and reading defenses and so on.
I think everyone knows it except you, even Janis knows it.

ThunderDan
08-12-2016, 07:23 AM

Yes, because the GM and head coach purposefully hold back a ProBowl caliber WR to show who is boss and shorten their careers because they want less wins by not playing their stud players.:roll:

Zool
08-12-2016, 08:35 AM
My point is proven.

Pugger
08-12-2016, 09:07 AM
1) Name me all these players that have had the most ability and the Packers chose to hold them back? I'd love to know who these players are.

2) Nobody ever said Jeff Janis has a bad attitude, nobody. You're either making that up or hearing things wrong.

3) Nobody is saying Janis has mentally issues as gospel like you said. All you have to do is follow the team, it's that easy. Every single beat writer since Janis was drafted that are in camp and on the sideline ALL say the exact same thing. That he just does not get the system. Read an article, listen to the reporters. It's all out there.

4) To say the Packers are not giving him his fair chance is just flat wrong. Janis is playing with the 1's every day in practice. Not sure what else you want. The guy is playing with the starters. He's just having a very hard keeping up.
And this isn't Janis hating. I'm sure every single Packer fan wants him to be awesome, that only helps the team. But so far he's been far from it. And there is nobody to blame by himself.

Here's a quote from Janis from Wednesday,
“I feel like I’ve gotten better at route-running. That’s something I’ve been trying to focus on. Now it’s just reading the defense and being where I’m supposed when Aaron wants me to be there.”

So even Janis knows he's having problems running routes and being where he's supposed to be, and reading defenses and so on.
I think everyone knows it except you, even Janis knows it.

I think Janis' issue is he has problems reading defenses on the fly and why Jeff is great when he can just use his speed and outrun defenders as long as Rodgers/a QB has time to find him. And he'll make the roster on his ST prowess alone. If Ty can shine in ST too we'll have a great pair there for sure.

Radagast
08-12-2016, 09:38 AM
So if I'm reading some of you correctly, Janis could be The Packers "Forrest Gump" ?

Run Jeff Run ! STOP !

:)

Guiness
08-12-2016, 09:57 AM

Craig Nall!!! If only he's been given half a chance!:lol:

Patler
08-12-2016, 11:56 AM
What is missing?

Game opportunities. One of the assistant coaches (Getsy? Bennett?) even said as much. There are players who are "gamers". Players who in games out perform their practiced based expectations. I think Janis shows signs of that, not just from his playoff performance, but also from his limited regular season opportunities that included several long p.i. calls on defenders who couldn't stay with him.

If he can become a 20-30 receptions guy capable of distracting the defense deep, while continuing to perform on STs like he did last year, he will be around as long as Jarrett Bush.

dsilby
08-12-2016, 02:44 PM
Craig Nall!!! If only he's been given half a chance!:lol:

Haha. Or Sixto Lezcano! Oh wait, wrong team and sport. My bad.

texaspackerbacker
08-12-2016, 03:20 PM
It's amazing - and kinda sick - that we have so many Janis haters or at least detractors in here. All the damn beat reporters say ....... this and that - BFD about that hahahaha. Janis may be getting first team reps now - I guess I have to take the word of you detractors about that. However, he languished on the bench or inactive for two years or so; Then when finally given the chance to get on the field, he did an excellent job both as a receiver and on special teams - any of you negativists gonna dispute that? Just my opinion, mind you, but I'd say Janis in his limited opportunities for game situations has looked better than Montgomery at his best when he was healthy, and it isn't even a contest comparing Adams to Janis.

I don't know wtf is in the minds of McCarthy and Thompson - maybe they will just fart away Janis's career with the Packers. Whoever he ends up with, though, I expect him to eventually be a star-quality receiver. It will piss me off highly if that is not with the Packers.

dsilby
08-12-2016, 04:33 PM
Hey you guys, is texaspackerbacker a troll? His posts are hilarious.

I've been hovering around here for a couple years but haven't posted much.
I want to have real conversations and I don't want to waste time in conversations that are just meant to bait people, I'm still learning personalities on here.

Joemailman
08-12-2016, 04:39 PM
It's amazing - and kinda sick - that we have so many Janis haters or at least detractors in here. All the damn beat reporters say ....... this and that - BFD about that hahahaha. Janis may be getting first team reps now - I guess I have to take the word of you detractors about that. However, he languished on the bench or inactive for two years or so; Then when finally given the chance to get on the field, he did an excellent job both as a receiver and on special teams - any of you negativists gonna dispute that? Just my opinion, mind you, but I'd say Janis in his limited opportunities for game situations has looked better than Montgomery at his best when he was healthy, and it isn't even a contest comparing Adams to Janis.

I don't know wtf is in the minds of McCarthy and Thompson - maybe they will just fart away Janis's career with the Packers. Whoever he ends up with, though, I expect him to eventually be a star-quality receiver. It will piss me off highly if that is not with the Packers.

Where did you get the idea that Thompson and McCarthy can't recognize and develop quality wide receivers? It may be their greatest strength. If Janis is good enough, he'll make it with the Packers. If he's not good enough to make it with the Packers, he probably won't make an impact anywhere else either. This is one area where the Packers don't make many mistakes.

red
08-12-2016, 04:52 PM
in other news, after one preseason game, miles jack looks to be the real deal

coulda woulda shoulda

dsilby
08-12-2016, 06:57 PM

coulda woulda shoulda

I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. He might end up being great, who knows. But there's not way of knowing anything after a pre season game. Remember when Jayrone Elliott looked like the next Brian Urlacher in pre season.

pbmax
08-12-2016, 10:38 PM
Game opportunities. One of the assistant coaches (Getsy? Bennett?) even said as much. There are players who are "gamers". Players who in games out perform their practiced based expectations. I think Janis shows signs of that, not just from his playoff performance, but also from his limited regular season opportunities that included several long p.i. calls on defenders who couldn't stay with him.

If he can become a 20-30 receptions guy capable of distracting the defense deep, while continuing to perform on STs like he did last year, he will be around as long as Jarrett Bush.

Fair point. What happened to him tonight?

Joemailman
08-12-2016, 11:07 PM
Fair point. What happened to him tonight?

Inactive.

Janis had his hand wrapped in ice at practice earlier this week.

Upnorth
08-13-2016, 08:42 AM
Espn reported he broke it Wednesday.http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17292237

dsilby
08-13-2016, 02:04 PM

It's all a setup by the coaching staff just to keep the man down.

Bretsky
08-13-2016, 03:04 PM

He's fast, but has not shown much beyond that. He runs routes poorly and after two full years he can't read defenses. I see Bill Schroeder in him. He'll show flashes but not consistency. With his ST ability he's a nice last WR to have on the roster.

Bretsky
08-13-2016, 03:05 PM

coulda woulda shoulda

I would have been completely on board with this

Zool
08-14-2016, 09:11 AM

I think we all know he punched a coach right?

pbmax
08-14-2016, 12:03 PM
^ Yes. After a coach tried to stop him from punching Rodgers.

pbmax
08-14-2016, 12:04 PM
I am not sure if this is center related OR long snapper related:

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 5m5 minutes ago
New from JSOnline and PackersNews: DePere native Kyle Steuck joins Packers http://ift.tt/2aS1N4d #Packers

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 15m15 minutes ago
#Packers have put long snapper Jesse Schmitt (broken hand) on injured reserve and announced official signing of OL Kyle Steuck.

pbmax
08-14-2016, 01:26 PM
Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 32m32 minutes ago
Todays DNPs: Waters, Gatewood, Burnett, Ryan, Flores, Linsley, Murphy, James, Rotheram, Janis, Nelson, Montgomery (rest) #PackersCamp

Ryan Wood ‏@ByRyanWood 46m46 minutes ago
Busy day for participation at #Packers camp: Clay Matthews, Randall Cobb, Brett Hundley, Mitchell Henry and Makinton Dorleant all return.

Joemailman
08-14-2016, 01:35 PM
Ryan Wood@ByRyanWood
Wondering if #Packers S Morgan Burnett was not a healthy scratch. He was activated vs. Browns, didn't play, now isn't practicing today.

Tom Silverstein@TomSilverstein
ILB Jake Ryan, S Morgan Burnett are still out.

C Matt Rotheram has his left arm in a sling explains why they signed Steuck.

WR Jeff Janis is here. Has his right hand in a splint and wrapped with an ace bandage.

Ryan Wood@ByRyanWood
#Packers WR Ty Montgomery's absence is not injury related. Just his first rest day since coming off PUP. Easing him back onto field.

Michael Cohen@Michael_Cohen13
Seems the calf issue for Cobb is minor. Made a couple nice grabs on passes from Rodgers in 2-min drill vs. starting defense. #Packers

Rodgers went twice to Davante Adams during drill Adams dropped back shoulder against Shields and then couldn't time up on free play.

Blake Martinez prevented a touchdown to James Starks on cross-field throw from Rodgers.

If the punters were trying to hit short line drives then they succeeded. Unless they were trying something I don't know about it was brutal

Aaron Nagler@AaronNagler
Hundley getting time with the first team offense.

Aaron Nagler@AaronNagler
Carl Bradford getting a few reps with the first team.

Ryan Wood@ByRyanWood
#Packers QB Brett Hundley gets starter reps in team period, but Aaron Rodgers handled lone 2-minute drill. Hundley missed week, needs reps.

Patler
08-14-2016, 01:53 PM
If the punters were trying to hit short line drives then they succeeded. Unless they were trying something I don't know about it was brutal

If both were punting the same way, I suspect they were working on something, like lower line-drive punts needed late in the year when playing in gale-force winds at Soldier Field or Lambeau.

Joemailman
08-14-2016, 02:29 PM
Aaron Nagler@AaronNagler
Hundley looks really sharp today. Throwing in rhythm and placing it well nearly every time.

Ryan Wood@ByRyanWood
#Packers rookie WR Trevor Davis makes a nice route adjustment, cutting under CB Demetri Goodson to catch Brett Hundley's sideline pass.

Ryan Wood@ByRyanWood
#Packers WR Geronimo Allison beats CB Josh Hawkins deep, but Hawkins strips it to force incompletion.

Then on next play ball thrown slightly behind Allisonbounces off his hands and is picked off by Carl Bradford.

When OLB Kyler Fackrell gets a one on one rushing outside his quickness is hard to deal with. Even athletic Jason Spriggs has trouble.

Aaron Nagler@AaronNagler
Great job by Adams tracking a deep pass from Rodgers for what would have been a touchdown. Big play from the third year WR.

Pete Dougherty@PeteDougherty
Team drills close with 2 big plays by scout team with Rodgers at QB: Bomb to Adams over Daniel, then Richard Rodgers on seam route

pbmax
08-14-2016, 03:08 PM
Rodgers ran scout team plays today against Defense Suggests he is possibly not playing this week either.

Joemailman
08-14-2016, 03:11 PM
Rodgers ran scout team plays today against Defense Suggests he is possibly not playing this week either.

Their plan had been for Hundley to get a lot of reps this preseason. With the 1st game cancelled, and Hundley missing the 2nd game, they may want him to play most of the game.

Harlan Huckleby
08-14-2016, 04:02 PM
I would sit Rodgers the entire preseason. Timing with receivers? You get that in practice. It's true that Rodgers needs to adjust to real game speed, but that will take all of a series or two in the first game, if that long.

pbmax
08-14-2016, 04:31 PM
OL Matt Rotheram describing biceps injury: "Icing every hour for like 12 hours straight because my arm looked like my calf. It was huge."

pbmax
08-14-2016, 05:38 PM
Behold your football savior brought low.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cp2fjloXgAAzyNI.jpg

pbmax
08-14-2016, 05:40 PM
ZOOK

Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 46m46 minutes ago
Ron Zook on @abbrecadabra's 34-yard free-kick return: "That was all him. I don't know if we blocked anybody ... that's what Jared can do."

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 46m46 minutes ago
Zook sees Perillo in the mold of Kuhn in that he can line up in a lot of places on special teams.

WELL PERILLO IS SET FOR A 10 YEAR CAREER THEN IF HE CAN BLOCK IN THE BACKFIELD AND RUN A FULLBACK DIVE

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 46m46 minutes ago
Zook on Jared Abbrederis on special teams: Heck of a returner. Great instincts & can catch the football.

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 45m45 minutes ago
Zook on Jeff Janis' injury: Feel bad for Jeff...He's got a great attitude. He'll get back as fast as he can & pick up where he left off.

pbmax
08-14-2016, 05:44 PM
CAPERS

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 42m42 minutes ago
Capers on first game: Good look at young guys. We’ll have a good challenge Thursday. This is an explosive offensive team.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 41m41 minutes ago
Capers on Datone Jones: I thought he got off to a good start Friday night. Good physical plays. We think he can set the edge in the run game

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 40m40 minutes ago
Capers on Matthews: He knows what we do. Just a matter of getting him ready. He still rushed on 3rd down. Not like he’ll lose anything.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 39m39 minutes ago
Capers on ILB: We wanted to make sure we got a good look at Carl Bradford on first and second down. Got a lot of good work.

Dom Capers on Joe Thomas and Carl Bradford: "I thought both those guys had a couple flash plays where you saw their ability show up."

Capers using headset: In terms of mechanics, the substitution, that all went very well for the first game.

TOOK ME AWHILE BUT THEY MEAN YOUNG GUYS ON HEADSET

Capers on playing vets: As long as they get practice reps in. If missing practice time, it affects preseason games. We know what they can do

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 38m38 minutes ago
Capers on Dean Lowry: He’s a young guy. We need to continue get a good look at him. Know won’t have Mike Pennel first 4 games.