PDA

View Full Version : HOF Game

Harlan Huckleby
08-05-2016, 09:09 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2016/08/04/brett-hundley-could-miss-hof-game/88272320/

It's possible that neither Rogers nor Hundley will play Sunday. Yikes. Fortunately I still have the Packer Family Night on my DVR to watch.

Patler
08-05-2016, 09:19 AM
Ya, this kind a sucks for Hundley. It looked like he would have a great opportunity with 5 preseason games this year, and then he hurts his ankle. Hopefully it isn't a case of Montgomery Ankle.

Pugger
08-05-2016, 12:57 PM
It does give the other 2 youngsters a chance to shine.

Patler
08-05-2016, 01:02 PM

I don't really care about them right now. I hope to never see them this year.
I hope not to see Hundley either, but fully expect that we will. I am anxious to see if last preseason was a fluke or not.

Harlan Huckleby
08-05-2016, 01:15 PM

Click and Clack? I haven't followed who they dredged up for camp fodder this year. (Probably be starters in November. Just kidding, I hope.)

Harlan Huckleby
08-05-2016, 01:18 PM
Ya, this kind a sucks for Hundley.

Fuck Hundley. What about my needs?!

Carolina_Packer
08-05-2016, 03:37 PM
Joe Callahan, Wesley College, Division III

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVOhT_XACW0

I realize he's playing against inferior (non-NFL) competition, but just looking at his athleticism and his arm, he's got some potential. He threw for 5,000 yards last season. I can see why the Packers were interested. I hope he has some time to setup and throw. I want to see his arm.

Marquise Williams, UNC, started 33 games for the Tar Heels. He has some intriguing athleticism, and can throw the ball. He was definitely worth a look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nMy6odu014

Fingers crossed about Hundley's ankle, but since this and the last pre-season games are by far the least meaningful, if it's only one week, so much the better to not take any chances. You just hope nothing happens with these two guys. Paging Matt Flynn!

gbgary
08-05-2016, 05:24 PM
a stupid exhibition game that needs to be eliminated. kill half the preseason and the pro-bowl while you're at it.

Rastak
08-05-2016, 07:54 PM
a stupid exhibition game that needs to be eliminated. kill half the preseason and the pro-bowl while you're at it.

Definitely agree on the pro bowl.

For pre-season, season ticket holders get jobbed bad. I mostly agree on getting rid of half. With the severe limitations on off season and even training camp activities, it might have become a little more important.

Regarding playing in the hall of fame game. It's actually good for the team to see all the young guys who a borderline on making the team. That's pretty much all it is good for.

Pugger
08-05-2016, 08:16 PM
I don't really care about them right now. I hope to never see them this year.
I hope not to see Hundley either, but fully expect that we will. I am anxious to see if last preseason was a fluke or not.

If one of them plays well this summer he might end up on the PS.

Harlan Huckleby
08-05-2016, 08:34 PM
For pre-season, season ticket holders get jobbed bad. I mostly agree on getting rid of half. With the severe limitations on off season and even training camp activities, it might have become a little more important.

Regarding playing in the hall of fame game. It's actually good for the team to see all the young guys who a borderline on making the team. That's pretty much all it is good for.

This in an annual discussion, maybe we should just bump an old thread and skip the posting. I agree that season ticket owners get screwed. But I have no empathy for others and am totally cool with that.

From the team's perspective, more games can only better prepare the team for the regular season. Injury risk? Just play the bubble boys and nut squad for 95% of the plays.

I half-watch preseason games till I fall asleep. I'd like to see 6 preseason games - one every weekend. No downside. Those who complain about shitty preseason football must lack the will to change the channel.

Harlan Huckleby
08-05-2016, 08:37 PM
a stupid exhibition game that needs to be eliminated.

no, no, no - all they need to do is move the kickoff to the 50 yard line and it will be more exciting.

Rastak
08-05-2016, 09:14 PM
This in an annual discussion, maybe we should just bump an old thread and skip the posting. I agree that season ticket owners get screwed. But I have no empathy for others and am totally cool with that.

From the team's perspective, more games can only better prepare the team for the regular season. Injury risk? Just play the bubble boys and nut squad for 95% of the plays.

I half-watch preseason games till I fall asleep. I'd like to see 6 preseason games - one every weekend. No downside. Those who complain about shitty preseason football must lack the will to change the channel.

Oh oh, we're mostly in agreement. I'm worried.

gbgary
08-06-2016, 09:55 PM
no, no, no - all they need to do is move the kickoff to the 50 yard line and it will be more exciting.

repped.

Patler
08-07-2016, 07:44 AM
If one of them plays well this summer he might end up on the PS.

One of them will likely end up on the practice squad even if neither one of them plays well. Heck, one might even make the final roster. If only 2 QBs make the final roster, it's a virtual guarantee that there will be a QB on the practice squad. I'm still not that interested in either one right now. I was all primed and ready to watch Hundley, to see if he can be as good as last year.

Guiness
08-07-2016, 08:21 AM
Joe Callahan, Wesley College, Division III

Div III? Well then. One thing you can definitely say about him is he doesn't like checkdowns!

Paging Matt Flynn!

Well, Favre did say he's going to play the opening series. Call him and say 'have we got a honey of a deal on a one day contract for you!

ThunderDan
08-07-2016, 08:33 AM
Definitely agree on the pro bowl.

Packers finally stopped charging the same price for preseason games and regular season games.

Our tickets are $56 for preseason and $108 for regular season. Last year it was somewhere around $85 for all games.

texaspackerbacker
08-07-2016, 11:00 AM
I think we will see Aaron Rodgers for one series. Why would they not?

Patler
08-07-2016, 11:08 AM

Why would (should) they?

Rutnstrut
08-07-2016, 04:28 PM

Because it only takes one play to get hurt. If he suffered a season ending injury in this meaningless game. The fans would string up MM.

red
08-07-2016, 04:46 PM
i don't get how this game doesn't count as a real preseason game

if you play in the HOF game, then you should only have to play 3 others. its just another meaningless game where players can get hurt

i hope we don't see any first or second stringers tonight. just use this worthless game to take a good long look at all the fringe players

if we have one meaningful player suffer an injury tonight then that is complete bullshit

pbmax
08-07-2016, 05:26 PM
It looks like its not getting played. Concerns about the field. Summer thunderstorm you think? Nope.

An accumulation of rubber pellets.

I have no idea what's happened either.

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2016/08/07/field-conditions-posing-big-problem-before-hall-fame-game/88371636/

pbmax
08-07-2016, 05:29 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CpShbV3XEAAdfKY.jpg

pbmax
08-07-2016, 05:30 PM
OK, now I get it.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CpSdns8WEAAdFs-.jpg

pbmax
08-07-2016, 05:31 PM
It looks like my garage after winter is gone and the sand is all that is left.

vince
08-07-2016, 05:41 PM
Tom Silverstein@TomSilverstein
Fans are being allowed to enter the stadium as workers appear to be trying to power wash the paint off the Hall of Fame logo at midfield.
via·about a minute ago

pbmax
08-07-2016, 05:44 PM
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 5m5 minutes ago
The paint that was applied today on middle of field, and in endzones, has congealed; would be like playing on tar.

Game now doubtful.

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 2m2 minutes ago
I'm told teams being informed there will not be a Hall of Game tonight due to unsafe playing field conditions

Others are saying there will be a fan fest or something?!

How about trying to tackle Eddie Lacy for 5 bucks a try?

pbmax
08-07-2016, 05:45 PM
They used the wrong paint and it melted the plastic grass and exposed the rubber pellets.

Or something.

smuggler
08-07-2016, 05:45 PM
Would they push it back a day? That's disappointing. Oh well, fewer injuries!

red
08-07-2016, 05:46 PM
goodell with make them play

i doubt the players or teams are aking any money off the game, so this is all money going into the leagues pockets

they'll play it

red
08-07-2016, 05:47 PM
They used the wrong paint and it melted the plastic grass and exposed the rubber pellets.

Or something.

yeah, thats a pretty big fuck up

red
08-07-2016, 05:48 PM
use a vacuum dumb shits

pbmax
08-07-2016, 05:53 PM
Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 48s48 seconds ago
Looks like the workers are done removing paint at midfield. Now they’re trying to spread the pellets out.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 2m2 minutes ago
It looks like they’ve cleared a lot of the paint off, but an issue that hasn’t been addressed is the end zones, where there’s tons of paint.

pbmax
08-07-2016, 05:56 PM
Ricky Lumpkin ‏@RickyLumpkin
Game canceled but will go out and talk to fans and sign things. Was juiced but safety is number

CANCELLED AS PER COLTS PLAYER WHO WILL BE BANNED FOR LIFE FOR TWEETING DURING GAME HOURS

Rutnstrut
08-07-2016, 06:08 PM
There have always been concerns about the condition of this field. Then you have the fact that most of the Packer org. was not happy about having to play this game. But the biggest thing is how can a supposed professional grounds crew do such a piss poor job?

smuggler
08-07-2016, 06:09 PM
It's official. We have to wait another week, but no one gets hurt tonight. Woo!

Teamcheez1
08-07-2016, 06:12 PM
Well, there goes my evening watching a meaningless preseason game.

Switching over to synchronized women's diving.

pbmax
08-07-2016, 06:13 PM
There have always been concerns about the condition of this field. Then you have the fact that most of the Packer org. was not happy about having to play this game. But the biggest thing is how can a supposed professional grounds crew do such a piss poor job?

Its an entirely new field surface installed in the last week. Its from the Superdome. The entire HoF grounds have undergone renovations, including the Stadium, which is now called Tom Benson Field or something like that. They wanted new turf in the new facility because the Steelers were mad about the field conditions last year.

So within a week or two of getting the new turf, they had the HoF ceremony, a concert and now a football game. I bet its the first time the people in Canton painted this field for a game.

I predict that Goodell will suspend the HoF and take over operations.

pbmax
Well, there goes my evening watching a meaningless preseason game.

Switching over to synchronized women's diving.

If you taped it, don't bother watching women's doubles tennis.

texaspackerbacker
Randy Moss: "Somebody needs to lose their job over this" Yeah, I guess.

At least I won't have to miss swimming and gymnastics tonight hahahahahaha.

Rutnstrut
08-07-2016, 06:17 PM
Its an entirely new field surface installed in the last week. Its from the Superdome. The entire HoF grounds have undergone renovations, including the Stadium, which is now called Tom Benson Field or something like that. They wanted new turf in the new facility because the Steelers were mad about the field conditions last year.

So within a week or two of getting the new turf, they had the HoF ceremony, a concert and now a football game. I bet its the first time the people in Canton painted this field for a game.

I predict that Goodell will suspend the HoF and take over operations.

I know it's all new. But that in itself is an operational fuck up. You don't wait until go time to make sure everything is good to go.

pbmax
08-07-2016, 06:30 PM
I know it's all new. But that in itself is an operational fuck up. You don't wait until go time to make sure everything is good to go.

I think Roger should suspend himself.

Rutnstrut
08-07-2016, 06:40 PM
I think Roger should suspend himself.

I'm good with that.

Harlan Huckleby
08-07-2016, 06:54 PM
It looks like its not getting played. Concerns about the field.

Considering that Hundley can't play, I'd say this is an act of divine mercy.

esoxx
08-07-2016, 07:03 PM
The NFL could fuck up a wet dream.

KYPack
08-07-2016, 07:21 PM
It's a fubar, but basically, I'm glad it happened.

Yes, it should count as a pre-season game.

Radagast
08-07-2016, 07:31 PM
The 2016 Pro Football Hall of Fame Game has been cancelled due to Stupidity !!!

:soap::soap:

VegasPackFan
08-07-2016, 08:28 PM
You have to forgive these folks in the Canton/Akron/Cleveland area. They haven't played real football there in a long time.

Cheesehead Craig
08-07-2016, 09:33 PM
Randy Moss: "Somebody needs to lose their job over this" Yeah, I guess.

At least I won't have to miss swimming and gymnastics tonight hahahahahaha.

Olympic swimming is far more entertaining than preseason football.

Guiness
08-07-2016, 09:52 PM
Olympic swimming is far more entertaining than preseason football.

Actually watching US-Canada men's volleyball. Canada leading, really intense.

Upnorth
08-07-2016, 11:28 PM
Actually watching US-Canada men's volleyball. Canada leading, really intense.

Woohoo! Go Canada Go

pbmax
08-07-2016, 11:48 PM
You have to forgive these folks in the Canton/Akron/Cleveland area. They haven't played real football there in a long time.

Don't tell that to Canton McKinley or Columbus.

Carolina_Packer
08-08-2016, 05:30 AM

Nostradamus, I presume?

Joemailman
08-08-2016, 05:44 AM
This is what happens when Packerrats doesn't have an official Game Day Thread. No game.

pbmax
08-08-2016, 07:51 AM
^ We let the Captain, and America, down big time.

pbmax
08-08-2016, 09:23 AM
From Mike Silver:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CpVSISlXEAAQ9dJ.jpg:large

In other words, additional pressure makes you stupid.

gbgary
08-08-2016, 09:31 AM
Nostradamus, I presume?

ha!

can only assume whoever they (the nfl or hof) got to paint the field used oil-based paint which melted the rubber pellets together. love it!. so glad this happened so the Packers weren't subjected to the added injury risk.

edit: just saw the post above this one. so they heated it and then added paint thinner. lmao! what a cluster! lol

hoosier
08-08-2016, 09:37 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CpVSISlXEAAQ9dJ.jpg

In other words, additional pressure makes you stupid.

When should you not mix a stripper and rubber?

When it's paint stripper!

pbmax
08-08-2016, 09:42 AM
That Packer employee better not destroy his phone.

gbgary
08-08-2016, 09:42 AM
When should you not mix a stripper and rubber?

When it's paint stripper!

:rs:

Rutnstrut
08-08-2016, 11:23 AM
The grounds crew must be union.

Radagast
08-08-2016, 11:46 AM
Does anyone know when they first played a HOF Game and is this the first time that they have cancelled the event . I believe there have been weather delays (Lightning) in the past , but I can't recall the game ever being cancelled . That grounds crew will never live this one down !

Patler
08-08-2016, 12:17 PM
Does anyone know when they first played a HOF Game and is this the first time that they have cancelled the event . I believe there have been weather delays (Lightning) in the past , but I can't recall the game ever being cancelled . That grounds crew will never live this one down !

The game was ended in the 3rd quarter once (2003) due to lightening, and one other time (1980) it was ended midway through the 4th quarter for the same reason. Interestingly, the Packers were in both of those games as well. It should be obvious that the Packers should not be scheduled for the HoF game.

Carolina_Packer
08-08-2016, 01:11 PM
http://www.lobshots.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/chefs.jpg

The real reason the game was called off yesterday. They didn't even know who was playing, let alone how to spell it.

Fritz
08-08-2016, 03:47 PM
http://www.lobshots.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/chefs.jpg

The real reason the game was called off yesterday. They didn't even know who was playing, let alone how to spell it.

I think they spelled that correctly. They were going up against the mighty Busboys that day.

gbgary
08-09-2016, 03:10 PM
OK, now I get it.

turned it into asphalt.

Harlan Huckleby
08-10-2016, 09:14 AM
http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/hall-of-fame-game-lawsuit-cancellation-080916

Some fans are suing for travel expenses to the HOF game. I think they are way full of it. Nobody invested in that travel just to watch a third-stinger scrimmage; they were there for the HOF events. it's also really hard to pin the exact blame of negligence of the paint's chemical breakdown. Who specifically should have been able to foresee this calamity? It's more a shit happens event.

swede
08-10-2016, 02:24 PM
http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/hall-of-fame-game-lawsuit-cancellation-080916

Some fans are suing for travel expenses to the HOF game. I think they are way full of it. Nobody invested in that travel just to watch a third-stinger scrimmage; they were there for the HOF events. it's also really hard to pin the exact blame of negligence of the paint's chemical breakdown. Who specifically should have been able to foresee this calamity? It's more a shit happens event.

Legal citation: Taco John's vs swedeshorts, 1981

pbmax
08-10-2016, 03:00 PM
Legal citation: Taco John's vs swedeshorts, 1981

Potato Olés?

GBkrzygrl
08-10-2016, 04:03 PM
Some people sue at the drop of a hat. It's ridiculous.

hoosier
08-10-2016, 04:45 PM

That question ("Who specifically should have been able...") can be matched by another one: who specifically spends money to travel from WI to OH to see a football HOF inauguration? It's like staying home to watch the Pro Bowl.

KYPack
08-11-2016, 04:48 AM
That question ("Who specifically should have been able...") can be matched by another one: who specifically spends money to travel from WI to OH to see a football HOF inauguration? It's like staying home to watch the Pro Bowl.

We were gonna drive up for the weekend. Used to go to Akron all the time on business. Took one look at the price gouging they do for the HOF weekend and passed. I've been to the HOF several times. It's neat, but about half as good as the baseball HOF in Cooperstown.

Carolina_Packer
08-11-2016, 06:33 AM
We were gonna drive up for the weekend. Used to go to Akron all the time on business. Took one look at the price gouging they do for the HOF weekend and passed. I've been to the HOF several times. It's neat, but about half as good as the baseball HOF in Cooperstown.

The differences you point are are similar to the differences in the two sports. Cooperstown; laid back, small town right on Lake Otsego, oozes charm, idyllic, quiet. Canton; working class, rust belt, bigger town, not nestled, right off the interstate, noisy.

I like them both, but I'm with you, I think the BBHOF wins out. There's a place in Wisconsin that reminds me of Cooperstown, NY; New Glarus. It's one of my favorite places in WI. Good brew too.

pbmax
08-11-2016, 08:31 AM
Rand was going I believe.

Also, just like baseballs' entire origin story, Cooperstown as the birthplace of baseball is probably baloney. But its a myth in service of a great place to have a HoF.

hoosier
08-11-2016, 09:04 AM

How much were tix? Was there only one package for inauguration and game?

Carolina_Packer
08-11-2016, 10:59 AM
Rand was going I believe.

Also, just like baseballs' entire origin story, Cooperstown as the birthplace of baseball is probably baloney. But its a myth in service of a great place to have a HoF.

Yeah, PB, most people believe Alexander Cartwright https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Cartwright was the "father of baseball" and not Abner Doubleday, who is from Cooperstown, NY. Since he is from NYC, had he been originally declared the originator of modern baseball, the BBHOF would likely be in NYC.

ThunderDan
08-11-2016, 12:22 PM
Yeah, PB, most people believe Alexander Cartwright https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Cartwright was the "father of baseball" and not Abner Doubleday, who is from Cooperstown, NY. Since he is from NYC, had he been originally declared the originator of modern baseball, the BBHOF would likely be in NYC.

Abner Doubleday also gets credited erroneously for firing the first shot in the Civil War in some histories. He was at Fort Sumter.

red
08-11-2016, 05:29 PM
i hope the nfl gets bent over a barrel on this one

sure a lot of the people were probably there for the inductions, but that was the day before. those people would have still had to get a room for an extra night. theres almost a hundred bucks wasted

the people in the stadium weren't even told the game was cancelled until an hour and a half after the rest of the world knew it was cancelled. pry 10-20 bucks per person spent on concessions during that time

not to mention they were pry charged for parking

not to mentioned missed work. if there was no game, people could have gotten home sunday, instead they drove home monday

all because of gross incompetence by the ground crew and NFL. this shot should have been done right, and way in advance

the NFL makes billions off of the fans, and treats us like walking dollar signs. time for them to show the fans some respect for once

hell goddell could pay for all that out of his pocket without even knowing it was gone

esoxx
08-11-2016, 06:05 PM
^^^yup, time to pay up you incompetent boobs^^^

KYPack
08-11-2016, 07:54 PM
How much were tix? Was there only one package for inauguration and game?

it was just high priced and pretty much bullshit.

I agree with CP, Cooperstown is so sweet. Reminds me of the Green Lake area in Wisco.

The PFHOF is pretty cool, but it is in Akron Canton.

I will probably go back one more time.

Goin' to the GB HOF in October.

That'll be fun.

Harlan Huckleby
08-11-2016, 08:46 PM
i hope the nfl gets bent over a barrel on this one

The HOF is separate from the NFL. THe NFL did nothing wrong; they did the responsible thing.

The HOF is accountable. I just see it as a freak accident. The paint had some odd chemical interaction with the turf. Hard to see who in the chain acted badly, maybe somebody, but who?

pbmax
08-11-2016, 09:34 PM
Pretty sure the NFL is staging the game, not the HOF.

Guiness
08-12-2016, 09:51 AM
The HOF is separate from the NFL. THe NFL did nothing wrong; they did the responsible thing.

The HOF is accountable. I just see it as a freak accident. The paint had some odd chemical interaction with the turf. Hard to see who in the chain acted badly, maybe somebody, but who?

Didja read what happened, or just the title and not bother? The application of the paint, being surprised that is didn't dry and three stooges like attempts to fix the issue are on the level with green pool water in Rio. I will give them credit for not playing the game.

Harlan Huckleby
08-12-2016, 11:56 AM
Didja read what happened, or just the title and not bother? The application of the paint, being surprised that is didn't dry

You didn't read the details yourself. It was the heat plus the interaction of the paint with the surface that caused the problem. It was not a simple, predictable case of applying the paint very late, although the contractors were a bit late. . Troy Vincent in the NFL took blame, but that was just "the buck stops here" accountability. The contractor had a problem with the paint that he couldn't anticipate.

pbmax
08-12-2016, 12:37 PM
You didn't read the details yourself. It was the heat plus the interaction of the paint with the surface that caused the problem. It was not a simple, predictable case of applying the paint very late, although the contractors were a bit late. . Troy Vincent in the NFL took blame, but that was just "the buck stops here" accountability. The contractor had a problem with the paint that he couldn't anticipate.

Except that they used the wrong paint. I bet that was something they could have anticipated.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CpVSISlXEAAQ9dJ.jpg:large

red
08-12-2016, 12:47 PM
so, a comedy of errors

Harlan Huckleby
08-12-2016, 12:51 PM
Except that they used the wrong paint.

Your article says "improper paint may have been used." If so, then the contractor is clearly at fault. We'll see. I wouldn't blame the NFL, except that the buck stops with them.

Harlan Huckleby
08-12-2016, 12:53 PM
so, a comedy of errors

That's what you and others have been saying without knowing any facts. It could be a single error by the contractor - poor choice of paint. That paint also might be commonly used for this purpose, but the heat and surface caused a problem.

Teamcheez1
08-12-2016, 02:12 PM
I'm tired of discussing this meaningless preseason game.

Let's move on to the next meaningless preseason game against Cleveland.

pbmax
08-12-2016, 10:40 PM
Your article says "improper paint may have been used." If so, then the contractor is clearly at fault. We'll see. I wouldn't blame the NFL, except that the buck stops with them.

Who do you think hired the painters? Do you really think the NFL has the HoF prep its field?

Do you think the Rose Bowl parade people prep the Rose Bowl when it hosts the Super Bowl?

The HoF stadium is used by a high school team outside of the annual HoF game.

Harlan Huckleby
08-13-2016, 05:46 AM
Who do you think hired the painters? Do you really think the NFL has the HoF prep its field?

The NFL is responsible in a "buck stops here" sense, but I don't blame them. They didn't act unreasonably. They either got screwed by a contractor's bad choice of a wrong paint. Or everybody involved, including the contractor, are caught in a "shit happens" situation. We still don't know if the contractor used the wrong paint.

Once it was obvious that the paint was a disaster, I can't blame the contractor for trying desperation measures - the turpentine, the heating of the surface to dry it out, the chanting of incantations, .... WTF - might as well try.

I can't agree at all with gripers blaming the NFL. Ya, they are accountable, but it was not unreasonable for the NFL to trust the contractor.

The contractor might have been a bozo. But if used the right paint (we still don't know) all of us would have ended up looking bad if we were in his shoes.

Guiness
08-13-2016, 10:36 AM
The NFL is responsible in a "buck stops here" sense, but I don't blame them. They didn't act unreasonably. They either got screwed by a contractor's bad choice of a wrong paint. Or everybody involved, including the contractor, are caught in a "shit happens" situation. We still don't know if the contractor used the wrong paint.

Once it was obvious that the paint was a disaster, I can't blame the contractor for trying desperation measures - the turpentine, the heating of the surface to dry it out, the chanting of incantations, .... WTF - might as well try.

I can't agree at all with gripers blaming the NFL. Ya, they are accountable, but it was not unreasonable for the NFL to trust the contractor.

The contractor might have been a bozo. But if used the right paint (we still don't know) all of us would have ended up looking bad if we were in his shoes.

I'm trying to decide if you're playing devil's advocate, or are a project manager in real life.

The field wasn't ready, so they used old Field Turf from the SuperDome! For a billion dollar organization, they sure act like a nickel and dime operation at times. This was the NFL's fault, beginning to end.

Wrong paint? So 5 minutes of searching brought me to this
http://www.fieldturf.com/sites/fieldturf/assets/FT_Maintenance%20Guidelines.pdf
From the document:

it is imperative that you contact Fieldturf’s customer service department for guidance on specific types of paint to use,

The attempts to remove the paint?

(only approved removers should be used based on the paint manufacturer’s recommendations – contact Fieldturf customer service if you are unsure)

AND MOST IMPORTANTLY!!!

Time to dry: Preferably overnight; otherwise 6 to 8 hours at 70°F and 50% humidity.

What I've read says they had decking on the field, and paint was applied after the decking came off...so they allowed what, 2-3 to dry?

I'm also pretty damn sure that if the league thought for a minute is could've gotten away with sending the players out onto a dangerous field, they would've done so. (see Suisham, Shaun)

Harlan Huckleby
08-13-2016, 11:10 AM
The field wasn't ready, so they used old Field Turf from the SuperDome! For a billion dollar organization,

BFD

Wrong paint? So 5 minutes of searching brought me to this
http://www.fieldturf.com/sites/fieldturf/assets/FT_Maintenance%20Guidelines.pdf
From the document:

That's quite an insight you uncovered there: the right paint should be used.

If the contractor used the wrong paint, the contractor should be blamed, and severely.

I'm also pretty damn sure that if the league thought for a minute is could've gotten away with sending the players out onto a dangerous field, they would've done so. (see Suisham, Shaun)

I don't think you'd make a very fair judge.

Guiness
08-13-2016, 12:11 PM
I don't think you'd make a very fair judge.

So my son said when I asked him how he knew I had a beer in my travel mug "Previous experience and behavior"

Harlan Huckleby
08-13-2016, 12:20 PM
The acorn doesn't fall very far from the tree.

pbmax
08-13-2016, 02:14 PM
If you find the right paint and varnish, that acorn will roll for quite a long way.

Zool
08-14-2016, 09:08 AM
The HOf was responsible for the field. Troy Vincent said he was responsible for making sure it was proper. He took the blame because who the fuck cares? Defending g the morons that have been doing this game for 500 years and can't get a field right is idiotic. They fucked up the field and it cost them millions. You think the NFL is going to eat that cost or the HOf?

pbmax
08-15-2016, 01:09 PM
No mention of the contractor or the HoF. Weird. I am sure the NFL will have this dismissed as they had no control over the event.

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 7h7 hours ago
NFL receives settlement offer in HOF lawsuit: $450 per ticketholder, with no fees or other payment to the lawyers (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/08/15/avenatti-offers-to-settle-hof-lawsuit-for-450-per-fan-with-no-legal-fees/)

I mean, c'mon, think about this logically. The Super Bowl, for instance, is really run at a Stadium that is not owned or leased to the NFL. An individual team or Stadium Corp owns that asset. The NFL doesn't hire the contractors that install seating and they really aren't in control of the event. I bet the only service they provide is selling tickets and collecting money.

Appearing last week on PFT Live, Avenatti said that the league already has spent more than $20 million to defend itself in the Super Bowl XLV ticket fiasco litigation.

Guiness
08-15-2016, 03:35 PM
No mention of the contractor or the HoF. Weird. I am sure the NFL will have this dismissed as they had no control over the event.

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 7h7 hours ago
NFL receives settlement offer in HOF lawsuit: $450 per ticketholder, with no fees or other payment to the lawyers (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/08/15/avenatti-offers-to-settle-hof-lawsuit-for-450-per-fan-with-no-legal-fees/)

I mean, c'mon, think about this logically. The Super Bowl, for instance, is really run at a Stadium that is not owned or leased to the NFL. An individual team or Stadium Corp owns that asset. The NFL doesn't hire the contractors that install seating and they really aren't in control of the event. I bet the only service they provide is selling tickets and collecting money.

On the surface it seems reasonable for them to accept this offer - PFT's math said it would cost them $10 million. However, I suspect they don't want to let that genie out of the bottle, prefering instead to defend the limiting of their liability to the price of the ticket.

Harlan Huckleby
08-16-2016, 12:01 PM
My sarcasm detector started beeping when I read pbmax's post. Could just be indigestion.

There's a difference (to me) in someone being legally accountable and responsible when things go bad, and that party being personally incompetent. In my own career, I captained a couple fiascos where delays were caused by factors outside my control, but of course somebody has to get blamed. I'd want to hear the contractor's side of the story before executing him; and I'm very skeptical that anybody here would have been wiser than the NFL dude who fell on his sword. Probably the contractor had done good work in the past.

Patler
08-16-2016, 12:15 PM
There's a difference (to me) in someone being legally accountable and responsible when things go bad, and that party being personally incompetent. In my own career, I captained a couple fiascos where delays were caused by factors outside my control, but of course somebody has to get blamed.

I'm not trying to let you off the hook here, HH; but, fiascos often happen from each of several people making only small errors, with the collective result being a disaster.

That said, we see you solidly behind door #2. :-)

pbmax
08-18-2016, 12:19 PM
The press release, which gratuitously points out that the Hall of Fame is a “501(c)(3) not-for-profit corporation” (so was the league office until recently), says that ticketholders will receive the face value of their tickets along with “all processing, shipping and handling fees, pre-paid parking purchased through the Hall of Fame, pre-sale reservation fees, and one night of hotel accommodations to eligible fans, subject to appropriate review, approval, and verification.”

In Harlan's corner, the HOF is making this offer directly, not the NFL.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/08/18/hall-of-fame-sweetens-the-pot-for-customers-who-attended-canceled-game/

The lawyer who offered the $450 deal said that the customers deserve what Goodell gets, cash, rather than photos.

Carolina_Packer
08-22-2016, 11:46 AM
A lawyer is claiming the NFL defrauded fans by letting them in the gate to purchase concessions, merchandise, etc., knowing that they were going to cancel the game:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/08/22/hall-of-fame-game-lawyer-claims-league-defrauded-fans/

What a claim.

red
08-22-2016, 11:54 AM
Well they did

They showed the huge lines on TV while they were talking about how the game was cancelled

Carolina_Packer
08-22-2016, 12:11 PM
Who knows, they might be able to blame David Baker if he was ultimately in charge of the readiness of the facility and the communications. He may have been told by a person who has since lost their job that they were going to be ready to go. You'd think there would be some protocol about these things to say if it's not ready x number of hours before the gates are opened then cancel the game. If Baker was in charge and was given bad (over-confident) information by the head of the grounds crew, then Baker was just passing on the same info to the NFL to make their decision. Again, the NFL should be in charge of their product both from a facilities stand-point and a broadcast standpoint to know when the field must be declared fit for a game. I know most NFL games are not preceded by a ceremony in the same space the night before, thus creating a smaller window of opportunity to prepare the field. I think the surface is field turf, so my question is, why couldn't they have the grounds ready before the HOF ceremony and just cover it up with a tarp on the field the day/night before? Why worry about field prep. after Saturday night's ceremony? Obviously, nobody expects a screw up of those proportions, but like kicking a field goal on third down, at least you are planning for a bad snap and can still call time out.

Harlan Huckleby
08-22-2016, 01:44 PM
A lawyer is claiming the NFL defrauded fans by letting them in the gate to purchase concessions, merchandise, etc., knowing that they were going to cancel the game:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/08/22/hall-of-fame-game-lawyer-claims-league-defrauded-fans/

What a claim.

:lol: Can you imagine ANYONE deliberately trying this to preserve an hour of concession sales? Of course they would get caught. Strange things happen, can't say it is an impossible scenario. But it's certainly unlikely.

red
08-23-2016, 06:44 PM
why would the nfl tell the players the game was cancelled 90 minutes before it told the people in the stands, and why else would demand the players not tweet or say anything about the game being cancelled?

Harlan Huckleby
08-24-2016, 04:51 AM
why would the nfl tell the players the game was cancelled 90 minutes before it told the people in the stands, and why else would demand the players not tweet or say anything about the game being cancelled?

If there is a credible lawsuit, the full facts will come out.

Patler
08-24-2016, 05:42 AM

To figure out what they were going to say and do, and relay it to everyone involved. They did the little "program" of sorts with the HOF'ers coming onto the field, etc. They had to get everyone where they wanted them. I doubt their concern was concession income, but it probably did involve trying to do something to appease at least parts of the crowd a little. Coming out and saying; "The game is cancelled. Bye." could have turned the crowd into an angry mob.