PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Deep Thoughts

pbmax
08-07-2016, 08:31 AM
In retrospect, trading down and avoiding Montee Ball (https://t.co/Aql8ZXIxMc) was the third best move Ted Thompson has ever made in the draft.

Bretsky
08-07-2016, 08:42 AM
another failed WI Badger RB; the list is long :((((((((((((((((((((((((9

If you believed the presses TT liked Ball over Lacey

Thanks Denver

Fritz
08-07-2016, 10:42 AM

Thanks Denver

Okay, I want to be sure you're joking. IIRC, most posters here excoriated Thompson during that draft for not getting Ball when he could have.

So, surely you're joking to suggest if it weren't for Denver TT would've grabbed Ball.

Patler
08-07-2016, 10:46 AM

Thanks Denver

I've also heard that he wanted one, and didn't favor either over the other. I further read that he made the trade assuming Ball would go first and Lacy was the one he really wanted. I suspect all are just guesses, and those close to TT may not even know what he would have done if both had been available to him.

run pMc
08-07-2016, 02:15 PM
Okay, I want to be sure you're joking. IIRC, most posters here excoriated Thompson during that draft for not getting Ball when he could have.

So, surely you're joking to suggest if it weren't for Denver TT would've grabbed Ball.

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/b8/b83eef2b053d5379d8dc1681fc9584d9d202b970883d2dfd25 9deac15f56d225.jpg

pbmax
08-07-2016, 02:35 PM
All right, good explanations so far. But we need more Deep Thoughts for 2016 please.

Bretsky
08-08-2016, 12:41 AM
HERE IS A DEEP THOUGHT....I'll probably get mocked....but who cares

Will Ted Thompson ever get Brett Favre'd out of Green Bay ? THINK ABOUT IT....it could happen.

Eliott Wolf is a rising star. GB is doing everything hey can to keep him happy. He's the next guy if he does not leave first.
Last year per the GB reporter GB refused him an opportunity to interview with one team and he declined with another.

I think GB is desperate to keep him. I think it's clear he does not always see eye to eye with MM

When Favre left, I think GB knew he has another couple years but they also knew Rodgers was the real deal.
Ted has 1-3 yrs left...maybe...but Wolf a career ahead of him. Perhaps a NUDGE.........a new title for TT

Could Teddy get Brett Favre'd soon ??????????????/

wist43
08-08-2016, 12:44 AM
Veganism is the sad result of a morally corrupt mind, and they ARE, IN FACT made of glass... only the deepest thinkers understand these things :-|

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtyPEc2t18k

wist43
08-08-2016, 12:47 AM

Will Ted Thompson ever get Brett Favre'd out of Green Bay ? THINK ABOUT IT....it could happen.

Eliott Wolf is a rising star. GB is doing everything hey can to keep him happy. He's the next guy if he does not leave first.
Last year per the GB reporter GB refused him an opportunity to interview with one team and he declined with another.

I think GB is desperate to keep him. I think it's clear he does not always see eye to eye with MM

When Favre left, I think GB knew he has another couple years but they also knew Rodgers was the real deal.
Ted has 1-3 yrs left...maybe...but Wolf a career ahead of him. Perhaps a NUDGE.........a new title for TT

Nah, we're right where Ted wants us - a perennial 10-6 team that is always just out of reach of the prize. Yes, 2010 was a "fart in the wind" - a deep thought from Ron Wolfe ;)

Patler
08-08-2016, 02:17 AM

To get Favre'd, TT would have to retire on his own accord. When he does that, we will never hear from him again.
Favre wasn't forced out, he was barred from returning. Favre opened the door and walked through, only to have the Packers lock it behind him.

Fritz
08-08-2016, 07:41 AM
Nah, we're right where Ted wants us - a perennial 10-6 team that is always just out of reach of the prize. Yes, 2010 was a "fart in the wind" - a deep thought from Ron Wolfe ;)

Yes, Thompson must have been disappointed when the Packers won the SB that year.

pbmax
08-08-2016, 07:53 AM
Is Charles Woodson enough to make me watch ESPN football coverage that still contains Berman (and no Tom Jackson)?

Ironically, the factor tipping it in its favor might be Randy Moss.

gbgary
08-08-2016, 09:22 AM
Is Charles Woodson enough to make me watch ESPN football coverage that still contains Berman (and no Tom Jackson)?

the good that woodson would bring would be shaded by the extremely poor take of moss. so the tipping point is berman...and that kills it. was good in the day (with jackson) but not now.

Bretsky
08-08-2016, 09:17 PM
if GB wins one SB under Ted's reign, will he really be considered that great ?

Patler
08-08-2016, 09:51 PM
If GB wins one SB under TT, as they did under Wolfe, why shouldn't TT be as acclaimed as Wolfe?

Rutnstrut
08-08-2016, 10:02 PM

I can't stand Berman. But actually liked the others on there last night when they were covering the game that wasn't.

Rutnstrut
08-08-2016, 10:05 PM
If GB wins one SB under TT, as they did under Wolfe, why shouldn't TT be as acclaimed as Wolfe?

I honestly think it's because Wolf seems to be a more likeable person than Ted.

Bretsky
08-08-2016, 10:47 PM

Are you asking for argumentative sake, or is this how you feel ?

Wolf made the moves to turn around a lost failing organization. That carries a little more weight with me.

Radagast
08-08-2016, 11:26 PM

I tend to agree that TT is the spokesperson for the Status Que . The 2010 SB victory just goes to show that even despite our best efforts , fate sometimes overrules mediocrity . I have a good feeling about the 2016 Packers fate .

Although TT is the spokesperson for the Status Que , IMO , he will always be Tightwad Ted . :taunt:

yetisnowman
08-08-2016, 11:44 PM

Wolf made the moves to turn around a lost failing organization. That carries a little more weight with me.

This x1000. Also the face of the organization for almost 2 decades was someone Wolf went out of his way for and took a big chance on. Whereas Ted had Rodgers fall into his lap. Maybe not totally fair, but Wolf will always be perceived as savvy, and Ted will be perceived as lucky.

Patler
08-09-2016, 06:40 AM

I do too, especially among the media crew covering the Packers. Wolf gave them good copy, lots of quotes, often just a line of b.s., but they didn't care. TT gives them very little. Wolf was warm and personable with the media. TT is guarded, but seems to be loosening up with some just a little the last couple years.

Patler
08-09-2016, 06:51 AM

In many ways I do. There are many similarities between them. In some ways, I think Wolf gets a little too much credit and TT too little for what they did and what happened during their times.

Patler
08-09-2016, 07:21 AM
This x1000. Also the face of the organization for almost 2 decades was someone Wolf went out of his way for and took a big chance on. Whereas Ted had Rodgers fall into his lap. Maybe not totally fair, but Wolf will always be perceived as savvy, and Ted will be perceived as lucky.

Wolf spent no more on Favre than TT did on Rodgers. Each was a risk for their own reasons. Rodgers came from a long line of seemingly top notch NFL prospects, all of whom failed. Some went so far as saying they would never invest a 1st round pick in a Tetford QB.

Who took the bigger risk, Wolf for trading a first round pick to get Favre, or TT in closing the door on Favre's return and hitching the franchise to an unproven Rodgers? Wolf risked a first round pick, an investment that often returns less than hoped and not infrequently returns very little. TT risked the remaining years of a HoF QB who seemed not to have lost much. If Wolf had been wrong he was out a first round draft pick, it happens regularly. If TT had been wrong, he threw away the most critical position on the team, likely playoff opportunities and probably his own longevity with the Packers.

pbmax
08-09-2016, 08:31 AM
Wolf needed a QB, though to be fair, some lunk headed Packers fans were still in love with Majik and didn't like the trade.

No one had QB in their list of priorities in the first round with the 24th pick for Thompson. That is zigging when you looked to be zagging.

The idea that Rodgers fell into Thompson's lap is ludicrous because it only makes sense in hindsight and it serves no purpose but to rob Thompson of the perfect best athlete available pick. Knowing what we know now, Wolf was lucky that Herock and Glanville were so dumb as to not realize what they had in Favre AND that 32 teams were dumb enough to pass on him in the first round.

Fritz
08-09-2016, 08:54 AM
Packer fans have been blessed for many years now with Two GM's who really knew how to run a franchise. I grew up watching the Packers from about 1969 and suffered through many, many, many years of bad football teams - in sum, a poor organization. Wolf changed everything. Kudos to him. Thompson came in and was faced with Mike Sherman's ginormous cap mess - the classic diarrhea-spattered bathroom disaster. Anyone remember the fiasco of the offensive line? He took some steps that made Packer fans angry - some thought this team just needed a few players to get back on track, and neglected to realize that this was what Sherman had been thinking too - thus the mess. Thompson made unpopular moves, and now Green Bay is considered again one of the top organizations in football.

Both great GM's. And as Wolf noted, they worked in different eras. Wolf worked in an era that suited his style - you could go out and grab a big free agent, you could make mid-season trades and grab a Keith Jackson. He's said himself he left in part because the changes to the NFL system seemed stifling and that he didn't want to work in the new era of the cap. He probably wouldn't have done as well. Likewise, Thompson works well within the current system, but probably would not have been as good trying to operate in Wolf's era. Both suited to their times.

hoosier
08-09-2016, 10:41 AM
Packer fans have been blessed for many years now with Two GM's who really knew how to run a franchise. I grew up watching the Packers from about 1969 and suffered through many, many, many years of bad football teams - in sum, a poor organization. Wolf changed everything. Kudos to him. Thompson came in and was faced with Mike Sherman's ginormous cap mess - the classic diarrhea-spattered bathroom disaster. Anyone remember the fiasco of the offensive line? He took some steps that made Packer fans angry - some thought this team just needed a few players to get back on track, and neglected to realize that this was what Sherman had been thinking too - thus the mess. Thompson made unpopular moves, and now Green Bay is considered again one of the top organizations in football.

Both great GM's. And as Wolf noted, they worked in different eras. Wolf worked in an era that suited his style - you could go out and grab a big free agent, you could make mid-season trades and grab a Keith Jackson. He's said himself he left in part because the changes to the NFL system seemed stifling and that he didn't want to work in the new era of the cap. He probably wouldn't have done as well. Likewise, Thompson works well within the current system, but probably would not have been as good trying to operate in Wolf's era. Both suited to their times.

Last line is a great point. Similar to players, it is hard to compare between generations. Probably even more so because whereas an athlete would still be an athlete in a different time, a GM's success or failure is partly determined by how he balances risk taking versus stability.

Upnorth
08-09-2016, 11:35 AM
Sorry, Fritz just said what I was going to say, only better, so I have deleted my Post

Harlan Huckleby
08-09-2016, 12:45 PM

The fans don't like Teddy? I suppose Wolf said some curmudgeonly entertaining things, but he was also a cold asshole in his treatment of players. What has TT ever done or said that anybody would have a negative feeling about him? Because he released Favre after Favre retired? Please.

hoosier
08-09-2016, 01:37 PM
Sorry, Fritz just said what I was going to say, only better, so I have deleted my Post

Inexcusable.

hoosier
08-09-2016, 01:40 PM
The fans don't like Teddy? I suppose Wolf said some curmudgeonly entertaining things, but he was also a cold asshole in his treatment of players. What has TT ever done or said that anybody would have a negative feeling about him? Because he released Favre after Favre retired? Please.

Are you serious? TT's mediatic charisma is approaching zero whereas Wolf always came across as a sage but pragmatic uncle. TT, by contrast, is the uncle who always sits in the corner on holidays and doesn't know what to say. Of course those are personas that may be quite different from who these people really are, but the public images of TT and Wolf are almost diametrically opposed.

Zool
08-09-2016, 01:41 PM

Was that after the second Favre retirement or the third? I get it mixed up.

Harlan Huckleby
08-09-2016, 02:00 PM
TT, by contrast, is the uncle who always sits in the corner on holidays and doesn't know what to say.

my kinda guy

RashanGary
08-09-2016, 02:00 PM
Wolf came in after the packers had a lot of bad seasons, so it seems like he was better. Just like putting your hand in warm water feels warm, but taking your hand out of an ice bucket and putting it into warm water, the same water feels hot.

And TT gets a little less respect from some fans who haven't caught on to how their mind can be tricked.

If Tt left, he'd leave the team in better shape than I feel Wolf left his, so I give Tt an edge there. I give wolf a little more credit for building a front office from scratch. I feel like both took over challenging situations for different reasons. If TT wins another sb, it's a no brainier for Tt, but right now it's a wash.

pbmax
08-09-2016, 03:07 PM

That has never stopped the rest of us!

Upnorth
08-09-2016, 03:42 PM
That has never stopped the rest of us!

i am pretending to be mature and adult. :eyes::eyes::eyes::eyes:

Patler
08-09-2016, 03:45 PM
If Tt left, he'd leave the team in better shape than I feel Wolf left his. I give wolf a little more credit for building a front office from scratch. I feel like both took over challenging situations for different reasons. If TT wins another sb, it's a no brainier for Tt, but right now it's a wash.

I agree completely.

There is also a mistaken impression that Wolf took over a roster that was void of talent, and that he had to build from the ground up. Not exactly true. He inherited a roster that already included Sterling Sharp, Majik, Ruettgers, Paup, Butler, Cecil, Holland, Bennett, Jacke, Hallstrom, Moran, Robert Brown, Jurko, Ed West, Jackie Harris, etc. All competent players, some like Sharpe, Paup, Butler, Ruetgers, etc. a lot more than competent. Some were old and didn't stay long, but the cupboard wasn't completely bare either and he had a core of very good players that helped him rebuild in an orderly manner. Wolfe was hired in November, then fired Infante at the end of the season, and said that after watching the team for two months he didn't feel Infante was getting the most from the players he had.

VegasPackFan
08-09-2016, 08:46 PM
Wolf needed a QB, though to be fair, some lunk headed Packers fans were still in love with Majik and didn't like the trade.

No one had QB in their list of priorities in the first round with the 24th pick for Thompson. That is zigging when you looked to be zagging.

The idea that Rodgers fell into Thompson's lap is ludicrous because it only makes sense in hindsight and it serves no purpose but to rob Thompson of the perfect best athlete available pick. Knowing what we know now, Wolf was lucky that Herock and Glanville were so dumb as to not realize what they had in Favre AND that 32 teams were dumb enough to pass on him in the first round.

This. FTW

Pugger
08-10-2016, 12:10 AM

If being likable helps you be acclaimed why is Belichick considered so wonderful? ;-)

Pugger
08-10-2016, 12:16 AM

Well, he never released him but traded him - much to Favre's displeasure. But you are right, it is silly for some to keep bashing Ted because of that.

Wolf did turn the franchise around but keeping our winning ways under Ted was no easy feat either.

Harlan Huckleby
08-10-2016, 07:40 AM
Well, he never released him but traded him - much to Favre's displeasure.

Farve was not a happy camper, but the trade was at his request, given that the Packers weren't guaranteeing his starting job back. At least that's my memory of the divorce settlement.

Maybe you are correct that Farve expected an unconditional release. That was an unreasonable!e expectation if true.

pbmax
08-10-2016, 08:00 AM
If being likable helps you be acclaimed why is Belichick considered so wonderful? ;-)

I mostly blame the AFC East for offering less than token resistance plus proximity to New York. But he has had a record of success that only a few still try to discount.

pbmax
08-10-2016, 08:02 AM
Deep Thought:

Taking Kenny Clark and passing on Reggie Ragland seems to be working out OK.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet
Based on the initial tests, #Bills LB Reggie Ragland expected to land on IR. A caveat: Last year Kiko Alonso had a similar injury & returned