PDA

View Full Version : Olympics updates

Harlan Huckleby
08-11-2016, 08:55 PM
The weather has turned foul in Rio. The women's beach volleyball teams are wearing long-sleeve track suits over their bikinis. Disaster. The games are over for me.

Actually I will watch some wrestling next week.

Radagast
08-12-2016, 09:21 AM
Wrestling , Weight Lifting , Boxing , does anyone know where to find a broadcast schedule for these neglected sports. I did tuned in for Olympic Archery and got half naked women playing in the sand ! Life is indeed good ! :flag:

Harlan Huckleby
08-12-2016, 11:52 AM
Wrestling , Weight Lifting , Boxing , does anyone know where to find a broadcast schedule for these neglected sports. I did tuned in for Olympic Archery and got half naked women playing in the sand ! Life is indeed good ! :flag:
I've been unable to find any ability to show the broadcast schedule by sport, which seems ridiculous to me. You have to tediously search through the entire schedule, three hour windows at a time. Dumb.
http://www.nbcolympics.com/tv-listings

You can get a sport specific event schedule which is useful if you want to stream live through your browser. But a choppy computer window has no appeal to me.

Maybe somebody else has found a better way.

red
08-12-2016, 02:49 PM
goodbye US womans national team

i almost shit when the last girls walks up and twirls her hair "la la la", then takes a half assed kick and sends it way over the bar, then just walks away like "la la la"

then she has a big smile on her face and is laughing in the hand shake line.

i think the USWT has become more concerned about being household superstars and models and less concerned about playing the game

btw, sweden deserved to win anyways, they got absolutely robbed of a goal late on a terrible call

red
08-12-2016, 04:48 PM
and after the game hope solo calls the swedes a bunch of cowards for the way they won

how the hell is she even allowed on the national team?

embarrassing

Harlan Huckleby
08-13-2016, 12:30 PM
The bikinis are back. The bikinis are back.

Honestly, I think women's beach volleyball is the most exciting sport of the Olympics. The men are just too quick and powerful; the slightly less explosive and more strategic women's game is better. Regular volleyball always sucks - so many skillful players on the court that only a power shot can ever succeed. About as much fun as watching Shaq dunk the ball 50 times. Beach volleyball is the coolest idea since the frisbee - watching two people try and cover a whole court is awesome.

texaspackerbacker
08-13-2016, 12:55 PM
Any sport, no matter how shitty, is worthwhile if the Americans win.

red
08-13-2016, 01:44 PM
The bikinis are back. The bikinis are back.

Honestly, I think women's beach volleyball is the most exciting sport of the Olympics. The men are just too quick and powerful; the slightly less explosive and more strategic women's game is better. Regular volleyball always sucks - so many skillful players on the court that only a power shot can ever succeed. About as much fun as watching Shaq dunk the ball 50 times. Beach volleyball is the coolest idea since the frisbee - watching two people try and cover a whole court is awesome.

agreed, its a great sport

and it doesn't hurt that the girls usually have smoking bodies in those bikinis

Bretsky
08-13-2016, 03:09 PM
I dig Womens VB the best, although my mind often wanders into imagining them doing lovely grailistic things with each other

red
08-13-2016, 03:50 PM
oh thats horse shit. the US finally produces a girl worth looking at in a swimsuit, and she doesn't make the finals

booooooooooooo

http://cos.h-cdn.co/assets/16/31/980x490/landscape-1470082027-kassidy-cook-team-usa-diver.png

Harlan Huckleby
08-13-2016, 04:45 PM
I dig Womens VB the best, although my mind often wanders into imagining them doing lovely grailistic things with each other

As I recall your daughters are volleyball players. I'm not accusing you of anything improper. Just an alert citizen.

I love when the beach volleyball players hug each other. Sometimes it's sort of an air hug, but the rare, full chest-to-chest action is a moment of beauty. The women hugging is cool too.:rs:

Bretsky
08-13-2016, 07:27 PM
As I recall your daughters are volleyball players. I'm not accusing you of anything improper. Just an alert citizen.

I love when the beach volleyball players hug each other. Sometimes it's sort of an air hug, but the rare, full chest-to-chest action is a moment of beauty. The women hugging is cool too.:rs:

Both of my daughters have given up volleyball
Basketball and Softball currently

I personally dig it when they slap each other's @ss ......lol

Radagast
08-14-2016, 05:51 AM
oh thats horse shit. the US finally produces a girl worth looking at in a swimsuit, and she doesn't make the finals

booooooooooooo

http://cos.h-cdn.co/assets/16/31/980x490/landscape-1470082027-kassidy-cook-team-usa-diver.png

Who is that lovely vision RED ?

Joemailman
08-14-2016, 08:08 PM
Wayde Van Niekirk of South Africa just beat Michael Johnson's world record in the 400M.

red
08-14-2016, 08:34 PM
Wayde Van Niekirk of South Africa just beat Michael Johnson's world record in the 400M.

that was insane how he blew everyone away, and crushed the WR

BOLT is just insane. just a freak of nature

Radagast
08-14-2016, 09:01 PM
How much farther is 100 meters vs 100 yards ?

Joemailman
08-14-2016, 09:06 PM
100 meters is 109.361 yards.

Radagast
08-15-2016, 07:19 PM
100 meters is 109.361 yards.

So U. Bolt ran the distance of 109.341 yards in 9.81 seconds ! I recall when 10 seconds flat in the 100 yd dash was world class . I wonder what he would time in the 40 yd dash !

Lightning Fast !

:glug:

Patler
08-15-2016, 08:02 PM
I recall when 10 seconds flat in the 100 yd dash was world class.

How old are you? Bob Hayes ran 100 yards in 9.1 seconds before he became a Cowboy in the 1960s.

Joemailman
08-15-2016, 08:48 PM
How old are you? Bob Hayes ran 100 yards in 9.1 seconds before he became a Cowboy in the 1960s.

There were some winning Olympic times of 10+ since then though. That said, the winning Olympic time has been under 10 since Carl Lewis in 1984.

Patler
08-15-2016, 09:51 PM
There were some winning Olympic times of 10+ since then though. That said, the winning Olympic time has been under 10 since Carl Lewis in 1984.

You are mixing 100 yard and 100 meter races. Olympics are meter races. Radagast was referring to yards. You don't see 100 yard races much anymore, but they were very common back in the '60s in HS and college. Track teams had milers, half-milers and quarter-milers back then, too. International events were metric distances for those, too.

When Bob Hayes ran 9.1 to about 9.3 or so in 100 yard races, he was at about 10.1 or so on 100 meter races.

Radagast
08-16-2016, 08:00 AM
OK , we've posted about Olympic sprinting , and been corrected as well. Patler must be very proud of himself.

Yes this thread is about the Olympics , but just a quick sidebar question ? Who, rookie or veteran , is the fastest man in the NFL ? :glug:

Patler
08-16-2016, 08:09 AM
OK , we've posted about Olympic sprinting , and been corrected as well. Patler must be very proud of himself.

No more so than you are embarrassed by your mistake.

Harlan Huckleby
08-16-2016, 11:43 AM
I nominate Greco-Roman wrestling as the most boring event of all sports in the Olympics. It requires a much more specialized skill set (mostly upper body) than more familiar styles. Every match is like a terrible match in freestyle wrestling. I am not surprised that the Greek and Roman empires collapsed.

There is a Wisconsin kid, Jesse Thielke, who made the Greco Roman squad at 130 pounds (no speaka metric.) His ascendancy to this spot is unbelievable. He graduated from the Wisconsin Badgers squad recently, and he was certainly one of the poorer wrestlers on the team. The fans hated on him in the wrestling forums because they thought his heart wasn't into wrestling. The criticism was bullshit, his skills were just tuned more to the Greco Roman style. But the fact that a poor college wrestler elevated his skills to the point where he beat a string of Olympians within a two year period leaves me awe struck.

Tomorrow women's freestyle wrestling starts. That's better. Then men's freestyle, which all of you have been waiting for.

Patler
08-16-2016, 12:05 PM
I nominate Greco-Roman wrestling as the most boring event of all sports in the Olympics. It requires a much more specialized skill set (mostly upper body) than more familiar styles. Every match is like a terrible match in freestyle wrestling. I am not surprised that the Greek and Roman empires collapsed.

There is a Wisconsin kid, Jesse Thielke, who made the Greco Roman squad at 130 pounds (no speaka metric.) His ascendancy to this spot is unbelievable. He graduated from the Wisconsin Badgers squad recently, and he was certainly one of the poorer wrestlers on the team. The fans hated on him in the wrestling forums because they thought his heart wasn't into wrestling. The criticism was bullshit, his skills were just tuned more to the Greco Roman style. But the fact that a poor college wrestler elevated his skills to the point where he beat a string of Olympians within a two year period leaves me awe struck.

Tomorrow women's freestyle wrestling starts. That's better. Then men's freestyle, which all of you have been waiting for.

There was another WI-born guy (or was it two others) in G-R who didn't do so well, wasn't there?

Harlan Huckleby
08-16-2016, 06:15 PM
I don't know of any other WI wrestler in Olympics, but I could be wrong.

The rumors of the greatness of WI wrestling are exaggerated. There are about 350 kids that qualify for the NCAA wrestling tourny. Last year, 6 had WI roots. Wrestling has its passionate schools around the states, especially up nord, Stoughton, other pockets. But there isn't wrestling mania here, unless you mean Wrestle Mania! on cable TV. I grew up as a little kid in Pennsylvania where wrestling is like hockey in Canada. Every Y had Saturday wrestling for little grade schoolers. WI is no Iowa, and not even Minnesota.

There is one future WI Olympian, Alex Dieringer from Port Washington.

Once every decade we get a wrestler like Tim Krumrie in WI. And then once in a generation somebody with the greatness to actually beat Tim Krumrie in JV wrestling appears. That's Michael Jordan stuff.

Patler
08-16-2016, 08:10 PM
I don't know of any other WI wrestler in Olympics, but I could be wrong.

Ben Provisor from Stevens Point.

Harlan Huckleby
08-16-2016, 08:50 PM
Ben Provisor from Stevens Point.

Huh. That guy slipped through my dragnet. He didn't have a distinguished high school wrestling career, and he never wrestled in college.
But he did succeed in marrying an Olympic wrestler.
http://www.nj.com/olympics/index.ssf/2015/08/the_story_of_nj_olympic_hopeful_leigh_jaynes-provisor_will_inspire_you_politi.html

He is the son of the original keyboard player of the grassroots, the guy on the left, Dennis Provisor.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/eb/The_Grass_Roots.png

Patler
08-16-2016, 10:18 PM
Huh. That guy slipped through my dragnet. He didn't have a distinguished high school wrestling career, and he never wrestled in college.
But he did succeed in marrying an Olympic wrestler.
http://www.nj.com/olympics/index.ssf/2015/08/the_story_of_nj_olympic_hopeful_leigh_jaynes-provisor_will_inspire_you_politi.html

He is the son of the original keyboard player of the grassroots, the guy on the left, Dennis Provisor.

He was 158-14 in high school, then seemed to get involved in a national development program or something.
Apparently he has had a lot of injuries.

http:/http://www.teamusa.org/usa-wrestling/athletes/ben-provisor

Harlan Huckleby
08-17-2016, 12:32 AM
OK, he was pretty good. But high school wrestling is now very watered-downed. By college wrestling standards, one asks how many state championships a wrestler had in high school. I saw in one bio that Big Ben only finished 3rd, once. By college level wrestling standards, Ben was a no-count recruit.

Since around 1980 when they went to 5 divisions in WI and most states, "state champs" are as common as strippers claiming to be "working on their degree."

Jessie Thielke, the other WI kid who made Olympics, was a 4-time state champ.

Provisor was just a late bloomer, I guess.

PS. One gopher wrestler who graduated recently had SIX state championships! In South Dakota, gifted junior high kids can compete at high school level.

Harlan Huckleby
08-17-2016, 01:23 AM
The U.S. women's beach VB team lost, but it was fitting. The Brazilians had more energy. I think being 38 caught up to Kerry Walsh-Jennings. You gotta watch the floppy-haired German chick in the finals tomorrow. She is the most amazing athlete in the tourney.

Patler
08-17-2016, 06:40 AM
OK, he was pretty good. But high school wrestling is now very watered-downed. By college wrestling standards, one asks how many state championships a wrestler had in high school. I saw in one bio that Big Ben only finished 3rd, once. By college level wrestling standards, Ben was a no-count recruit.

Since around 1980 when they went to 5 divisions in WI and most states, "state champs" are as common as strippers claiming to be "working on their degree."

Jessie Thielke, the other WI kid who made Olympics, was a 4-time state champ.

Provisor was just a late bloomer, I guess.

PS. One gopher wrestler who graduated recently had SIX state championships! In South Dakota, gifted junior high kids can compete at high school level.

I wasn't suggesting he was good/great or anything else, just providing what background I could find. He seems to have been around the national program for a long time but hasn't achieved great success.

Most HS and youth state championships have been diluted by the proliferation of classes. In the past it was meaningful to be a state champ, now it means you were the best of just a handful of others in your class.

Harlan Huckleby
08-17-2016, 10:45 AM
At the risk - actually certainty now - of beating this topic to death, I think the proliferation of classes in high school sports was a damn shame. Maybe the one sport where it makes sense is football, where small schools can get physically crushed by a larger, bigger roster. One of the glories of the single wrestling tourney was that the champs were often farm kids from tiny schools. See the movie Hoosiers for full factual documentation of the possibilities.

I talked to a bus driver once who was a 2-time state wrestling champ back in the 70's. I understood his amazing accomplishment, and I think he appreciated that. It's a shame that high school championships are now just awards for being pretty good.

Radagast
08-18-2016, 10:17 PM
In Tokyo , Baseball will be one of the sports. Basketball can recruit from the NBA as they are in their off season , but Baseball will be in full swing. Where will America get players to compete with some very competitive World Teams ? MLB Teams fighting to get to the post season aren't going to want to give up their Star players .

wootah
08-19-2016, 02:23 AM
http://i.imgur.com/7XPpz9a.jpg

https://zippy.gfycat.com/ComfortableSoulfulAppaloosa.webm

http://i.imgur.com/ILX7Idl.mp4

texaspackerbacker
08-19-2016, 05:32 AM
In Tokyo , Baseball will be one of the sports. Basketball can recruit from the NBA as they are in their off season , but Baseball will be in full swing. Where will America get players to compete with some very competitive World Teams ? MLB Teams fighting to get to the post season aren't going to want to give up their Star players .

You have roughly the same situation with Hockey in the Winter Olympics. I wonder if MLB would consider a mid (actually late) season break for players to go to the Olympics. They have four years to hash it out. With so many foreign players from so many places, it would seem like a logical thing to do.

Radagast
08-19-2016, 06:21 AM
You have roughly the same situation with Hockey in the Winter Olympics. I wonder if MLB would consider a mid (actually late) season break for players to go to the Olympics. They have four years to hash it out. With so many foreign players from so many places, it would seem like a logical thing to do.

Yes, the patriotic solution would be great, but as the recent episode of extortion by Brazil of the hostage swimmers ($11,000.00 +) that allowed them to return to America points out, Greed always trumps doing the right thing . The US Olympic Baseball team will be lucky to field a AA squad . Japan, Taiwan, The Dominican Republic, Cuba, and others will be ready, I hope America will be ready for them !

wootah
08-19-2016, 08:54 AM
Yes, the patriotic solution would be great, but as the recent episode of extortion by Brazil of the hostage swimmers ($11,000.00 +) that allowed them to return to America points out, Greed always trumps doing the right thing .

I wasn't there, but it seems the swimmers didn't really do "the right thing" themselves, wouldn't you say?

Cheesehead Craig
08-19-2016, 11:43 AM
The swimmers were morons. It was either jail time or a fine for filing a false police report. The guy paid the fine in the form of a "donation" to a charity. Flippin idiots.

wootah
08-19-2016, 01:32 PM
They could learn a thing or two from the Belgian judoka that after his medal got into an argument with a hooker trying to steal his mates cellphone. He got some nice souvenirs from Rio:

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/CpcsnxhXYAEC2tI.jpg

red
08-19-2016, 05:54 PM
something really doesn't smell right with the whole robbery story

now brazil can keep lochte, no matter if he lied or not, the guy just seems like a giant douche bag

brazil is about as corrupt of a country as they come. for a city whose waters are a cesspool and roving bands of child muggers and killers, they sure did get touchy over a guy pissing in an ally, and tearing down a poster. THE HORROR. so out of all the shit that the people of rio see every day, THIS, is where they took their stand

the tape that was shown by the police was missing three whole minutes from the time a guy walked up to the taxi pointing something and the guys getting out with there hands up. then theres another two minute jump where after the break the guys hands are still in the air. then theres guys sitting down with all their hands in the air.

the explanation that the brazilian cop gave about the guy using the gun to control the situation is complete bull shit. if you use a gun to persuade someone to give you money, thats armed robber, plain and simple

then pulling guys off a plane and confiscating their passports and holding the at the police station, sounds like hostages there
then one of the guys being able to go home scott free and without so much as an apology by giving $11,000. i agree thats extortion and a ransom

how much do you want to bet that the money doesn't make it to a charity?

and through it all, the muggings and robberies of tourists continue

Radagast
08-20-2016, 02:36 PM
I hope I'm not alone in this, but when many of the Olympians finish their competition , I scream " Now go eat a Pizza" . I realize that they are athletes and their weight affects their performance , but many (especially some of the women) are just severely thin . Watching some of the athletes just makes me mindful of their sacrifices . They have suffered and trained for years, they deserve a Deep Dish Chicago Style Supreme PIZZA !!! :glug:

Radagast
08-20-2016, 03:01 PM
Update: American Women "Bitch Slap" Spain in the Gold Metal Basketball game ! :flag:

Radagast
08-21-2016, 03:05 PM
Watching the USA vs Serbia in the Gold Metal Basketball game , reminds me of the Washington Generals playing The Globetrotters . The USA looks like a PRO Team as Serbia looks like that team who can't wait for it to be over with . Can anyone say , BITCH SLAPPED !

:flag::flag::flag::flag:

SkinBasket
08-23-2016, 09:59 AM
ABC News headline:
Rio 2016: A win for Caster Semenya is a win for women
https://feministactivism.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/caster_semenyax390.jpg

Because being beaten by men everyday isn't enough...

wootah
08-23-2016, 10:47 AM
http://i.imgur.com/f2HYrhW.jpg

Can anyone say , BITCH SLAPPED !

Radagast
08-23-2016, 12:48 PM

Europe did not compete as one entity . The Russians were partially banned .

As good as winning feels, I also salute those that struggled just to get to Rio to compete. Many did not have the wealth backing them like the USA or Japan or Germany . For some competing is their Victory .

Patler
08-23-2016, 03:02 PM

I sure hope you aren't taking credit for the Brits in that total.
They've thumbed their noses at the rest of you! :-)

wootah
08-23-2016, 03:55 PM
I sure hope you aren't taking credit for the Brits in that total.
They've thumbed their noses at the rest of you! :-)

Let the record show that they're still in at the moment so right now it still counts :P

What a tactic they had to boost their medal numbers: focus as the only country in the world on indoor track cycling and basically win everything there without decent competition.

Patler
08-25-2016, 08:09 AM
and after the game hope solo calls the swedes a bunch of cowards for the way they won

how the hell is she even allowed on the national team?

embarrassing

Hope Solo has been suspended from the National Team for 6 months, which is fairly meaningless in view of their schedule for the next 6 months. Of more significance, her USSF contract has been terminated. She has probably played her last meaningful international game. Of course, at her age, that might have been the case even without the suspension and firing.

red
08-25-2016, 09:57 AM
Yeah, she needs to be done for good. Her behavior plus disgusting stretched out lady parts are an embarrassment to the country

It's funny she got 6 months for this, but nothing for kicking the shit out of her nephew in a drunken rage

Patler
08-25-2016, 11:01 AM
It's funny she got 6 months for this, but nothing for kicking the shit out of her nephew in a drunken rage

I'm not trying to excuse any of her actions, just commenting about what a strange situation that was. Her nephew was 17 at the time, and 6'8" 270 lbs. He was a foot taller and 120 lbs heavier than her. Supposedly in the police report he admitted to hitting her over the head with broomstick or some other similar thing in the garage, and then with an aluminum broom handle after the first one broke. He and his mother said it didn't seem to even slow her down.

red
08-25-2016, 08:02 PM
Yeah she was good raging or something that night