PDA

View Full Version : Winners and Losers: Browns Preseason Game 2016

pbmax
08-13-2016, 09:22 AM
http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2016/08/12/wis-0813-packers-insider/88620806/

Winners:

Perillo - was all over the place esp. with Callahan at QB

Backman - I must have his number wrong because I thought he caught more than 2 balls. Both 3rd stringers looked better than last year.

Lacy - looked tough and quicker. Does not look lean in his uni, but the team and his trainer seem to think he has kept the weight off

Callahan - nice 2 minute drive

Williams - it wasn't always pretty, but with his arm and legs, he might be the emergency starter who wins a game he shouldn't. He is the long term guy you develop.

2nd String O Line - it wasn't a complete success, but had some nice holes for running game

Hyde - nice INT

Bradford - He's buried so he might have other problems but he looked natural in coverage going forward

Losers:

1st String O line - everyone except Tretter blew a run block. Almost always on the backside. That's been a problem forever. Lang and Bulaga did it twice.

Goodson - Personal foul, beat for TD

3rd string D - gave up two TDs that were callback by penalty

Kenny Clark - didn't see him once. Lowry started at 5 tech apparently. Clark is more 1 and 3 technique, but still you would have liked to see him knock someone around. Its tough, as Wood points out in article, he is not starting ahead of Guion or Daniels.

HarveyWallbangers
08-13-2016, 10:03 AM
I didn't watch the game closely yet, but Clark made a couple of noticeable plays. On one play he kept his pad level low, got between/underneath a double team, and stopped a run for no gain. It was impressive.

Joemailman
08-13-2016, 10:04 AM
Bradford might be able to challenge Joe Thomas for a spot if he continues to look good in coverage. I think he's more stout against the run than Thomas is.

pbmax
08-13-2016, 10:08 AM
I didn't watch the game closely yet, but Clark made a couple of noticeable plays. On one play he kept his pad level low, got between/underneath a double team, and stopped a run for no gain. It was impressive.

Good to know. I could never find him. The only play I remember was him getting swallowed by a DT. He didn't get blown away, but did get turned.

KYPack
08-13-2016, 10:26 AM
The Pack leads the planet with more Pre-season young-uns on defense that flash, but never amount to shit, dept...

But, Ringo looked pretty good on that Safety.

Joemailman
08-13-2016, 10:50 AM
The Pack leads the planet with more Pre-season young-uns on defense that flash, but never amount to shit, dept...

But, Ringo looked pretty good on that Safety.

Reports were that Ringo showed tons of improvement in practice as the regular season wore on last year. He might be real. Would be helpful if he could add some bulk as Daniels has since being drafted.

Joemailman
08-13-2016, 11:01 AM
Datone Jones showed up last night.

Vic Ketchman:

Datone Jones chipped in with a sack, a TFL and two hurries. We keep looking for an undrafted player to jump out at us. Wouldn’t it be wonderful if a past first-round pick was that player?

Patler
08-13-2016, 02:53 PM
Didn't Nick Perry make a couple nice plays early, too? Wasn't he the one who nailed RGIII solid a couple times?

Joemailman
08-13-2016, 03:03 PM
Maybe we're just spoiled, but nobody has mentioned that Crosby kicked two 54 yard field goals last night.

smuggler
08-13-2016, 03:07 PM
I definitely saw Perry lay wood on RG3 once. Would be very cool if Datone and Perry both had nice seasons.

Joemailman
08-13-2016, 03:13 PM
Perry came on an inside rush once to nail RGIII. I think the Packers have a great OLB group, and a great secondary. If they can stop the run they'll be really good.

Harlan Huckleby
08-13-2016, 04:57 PM
Reports were that Ringo showed tons of improvement in practice as the regular season wore on last year. He might be real.

He's an underrated player. It's just a matter of time till he gets his confidence - he suffered a setback when Paul insisted on playing drums on the White Album.

OK, dumb. Never again.

Joemailman
08-13-2016, 05:09 PM
He's an underrated player. It's just a matter of time till he gets his confidence - he suffered a setback when Paul insisted on playing drums on the White Album.

OK, dumb. Never again.

He's a role player. He gets along with a little help from his friends.

Pugger
08-13-2016, 06:07 PM
He gets by with a little help from his friends.

HarveyWallbangers
08-14-2016, 12:18 AM
Good to know. I could never find him. The only play I remember was him getting swallowed by a DT. He didn't get blown away, but did get turned.

This was the play I saw:

https://twitter.com/fduffy3/status/764458113751719937

The run actually gained a couple of yards, but it was a heck of a play. Facing the same situation on the other side of the play, Datone Jones gets swallowed up. It might be a reason why Jones is at OLB now.

Patler
08-14-2016, 06:15 AM
One of the writers mentioned that Martinez played only with the starters, when they came out after the first two series, he came out. Somewhat unusual for a rookie, who would seem to need all the reps he cane get.

Joemailman
08-14-2016, 08:57 AM
One of the writers mentioned that Martinez played only with the starters, when they came out after the first two series, he came out. Somewhat unusual for a rookie, who would seem to need all the reps he cane get.

Looks like they feel that Martinez is that rare rookie who seems ready to play right away. The real battle at that position might be between Thomas and Bradford, both of whom I believe got a lot of reps.

pbmax
08-14-2016, 09:38 AM
This was the play I saw:

https://twitter.com/fduffy3/status/764458113751719937

The run actually gained a couple of yards, but it was a heck of a play. Facing the same situation on the other side of the play, Datone Jones gets swallowed up. It might be a reason why Jones is at OLB now.

You know what, I think that is the play I saw. From the sideline I thought he got double teamed, turned and hit the turf behind the play.

From this angle it looks like he got the initial hit on the ball carrier. Not too shabby when fighting off a double team. You can see his wrestler balance when he forces his way free of the center.

gbgary
08-14-2016, 04:48 PM
no mention of abby for winners?

smuggler
08-14-2016, 09:14 PM
So, is this a lot of camp hyperbole, or is Sam Barrington kind of fucked?

pbmax
08-15-2016, 08:50 AM
So, is this a lot of camp hyperbole, or is Sam Barrington kind of fucked?

No, I think they still like him. He is getting prime time reps. Ryan is also hurt.

What I don't know is which ILB is #1 right now. So I don't know who Barrington has to catch to be starting in base and nickel.

Patler
08-15-2016, 10:15 AM
I know it is early, and preseason game stars often disappear quickly and completely when September rolls around; but, I feel a little better about the ILB position than I did last year. It is sounding more and more like Martinez could be everything we hoped he would be. Maybe even one of those middle round guys that become the backbone of a team. Bradford might finally be adjusting to the position so that he can perform with the basic football skills that got him drafted so high in the first place, the skills coaches said he has shown in practice but hasn't been able to put into play in games. If Barrington can return at the level he was in 2014, and if Ryan takes a typical second year step, they could be OK at ILB.

Fritz
08-15-2016, 01:45 PM
When you read the article about how badly the Packers might suffer without Pennel, you wonder when he became a central component of that defense. I thought he was still trying to learn the tricks of the trade!

Yet according to the JSO, they are screwed trying to stop the run until Pennel can get back and get into game form.

pbmax
08-15-2016, 01:56 PM
When you read the article about how badly the Packers might suffer without Pennel, you wonder when he became a central component of that defense. I thought he was still trying to learn the tricks of the trade!

Yet according to the JSO, they are screwed trying to stop the run until Pennel can get back and get into game form.

No Raji accounts for some of this. If Raji was at nose, Guion could be the 5 in base.

Fritz
08-15-2016, 02:11 PM
I thought the point was more that they lack a 5 tech for the base, and that Guion is not a natural there. Though why he couldn't play there on run downs, I don't know.

pbmax
08-15-2016, 02:43 PM
I thought the point was more that they lack a 5 tech for the base, and that Guion is not a natural there. Though why he couldn't play there on run downs, I don't know.

He is more of a nose, though he is better at 5 than Raji or Pickett. But Guion must play nose now that Pennell has a suspension. They don't trust another nose tackle to move Guion outside as much as they hope a young player or rookie can play the 5.

I would not be stunned if they pick up a DE-DT during Pennell's suspension. Use the roster spot for the emergency and tryout and then see what happens during the lead up to Week 5.

Teamcheez1
08-15-2016, 04:08 PM
Reggie Ragland probably done for the season with a torn ACL.
Sheldon Rankins with a broken fibula today.

Sometimes you need luck to avoid injuries.

pbmax
08-15-2016, 04:34 PM
Andrew Billings is out with an injury too.

RashanGary
08-15-2016, 05:58 PM
Should be able to get by with Daniels, Guion, Ringo, Clark (jones and peppers) and whoever makes the list out of the young guys.

Joemailman
08-15-2016, 06:22 PM
Should be able to get by with Daniels, Guion, Ringo, Clark (jones and peppers) and whoever makes the list out of the young guys.

I think they're okay as long as Guion and Clark stay healthy. If either one gets hurt though, they'll need another NT until Pennel comes back.

Patler
08-15-2016, 08:25 PM

Had surgery for a torn meniscus. Might be out for the season.

Joemailman
08-15-2016, 08:50 PM
Reggie Ragland probably done for the season with a torn ACL.
Sheldon Rankins with a broken fibula today.

TT is a genius!

Radagast
08-15-2016, 09:36 PM
TT is a genius!

Do you cut his grass and walk his dog too ? Genius ? Not picking one player and picking another is done by every GM in the league. They say TT drafts the best available player, but if you look closer , you'll see that he is not all that different from other GM's that draft for need . Yes, he does sometimes go with the best player available, most GM's do. TT inherited a good team and has maintained the Status Que . I'll give him some real credit when he assembles his own SB team, I credit R. Wolf with the last one .

ThunderDan
08-15-2016, 09:44 PM
Do you cut his grass and walk his dog too ? Genius ? Not picking one player and picking another is done by every GM in the league. They say TT drafts the best available player, but if you look closer , you'll see that he is not all that different from other GM's that draft for need . Yes, he does sometimes go with the best player available, most GM's do. TT inherited a good team and has maintained the Status Que . I'll give him some real credit when he assembles his own SB team, I credit R. Wolf with the last one .

Really?? 49 of the 53 Packers on the Super Bowl team were brought to the team by TT.

Joemailman
08-15-2016, 10:06 PM

If you had been here a bit longer, you would have known I was kidding. Wolf and Thompson were/are outstanding GM's. As Dan pointed out, 49 of the 53 players on the 2010 team were brought in by Thompson. Not to mention the coach.

gbgary
08-15-2016, 10:09 PM
Really?? 49 of the 53 Packers on the Super Bowl team were brought to the team by TT.

:whist:

KYPack
08-15-2016, 10:13 PM
They are ribbing you, Raddy.

Lotta old guys on here.

The humor is subtle, but incisive.

pbmax
08-16-2016, 08:34 AM
The better question is who had more players on the 2010 Super Bowl team, Wolf or Sherman? :D

pbmax
08-16-2016, 01:05 PM
Mike Garafolo ‏@MikeGarafolo
Saints rookie first-round DT Sheldon Rankins will undergo surgery on broken fibula today, source says. Dr Robert Anderson doing it in NC.

Packers must be paying people to make Ted look like a genius!

Also, Clifton, Tauscher and Driver were Wolf. Barnett, Wells, and Jenkins were Sherman. She were hurt, not sure what the 53 man roster Dan is looking at is composed of.

Patler
08-16-2016, 01:43 PM
Also, Clifton, Tauscher and Driver were Wolf. Barnett, Wells, and Jenkins were Sherman. She were hurt, not sure what the 53 man roster Dan is looking at is composed of.

Tauscher and Barnett were both on IR, weren't they? That would leave just four non-TT players on the SB roster.

ThunderDan
08-16-2016, 04:05 PM
Tauscher and Barnett were both on IR, weren't they? That would leave just four non-TT players on the SB roster.

Yup, talking about the SB game day squad with our 7th string OLB starting the game.

Patler
08-16-2016, 05:15 PM
Yup, talking about the SB game day squad with our 7th string OLB starting the game.

Not to mention the bottom of the roster CBs playing most of the game after Shields and Woodson were lost to injuries.