PDA

View Full Version : CM3 and peppers to be suspended indefinitely if they don't talk

red
08-15-2016, 05:33 PM
the league says it will suspend the al jazera 4 indefinitely for contract detrimental to the league if they don't cooperate and give interviews by the 25th of this month

this is complete and absolute bull shit on the part of the nfl, and if they do go through with it, will be the final straw for me and the nfl

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/08/15/nfl-will-suspend-al-jazeera-4-if-they-dont-give-interviews/#respond

Patler
08-15-2016, 05:42 PM
Not surprising at all.

Pugger
08-15-2016, 06:11 PM
How sad. The NFLPA told these players they didn't have to give the interviews to the league if there was no evidence they did anything wrong. Now the league is going to punish these players unless they talk. It appears to me ALL of the players in this league should fire these union leaders. They are getting lousy advice.

Smidgeon
08-15-2016, 06:34 PM
How sad. The NFLPA told these players they didn't have to give the interviews to the league if there was no evidence they did anything wrong. Now the league is going to punish these players unless they talk. It appears to me ALL of the players in this league should fire these union leaders. They are getting lousy advice.

The leaders are just doing what they negotiated in the CBS. The NFL is overstepping, in my opinion.

Rutnstrut
08-15-2016, 06:53 PM
The NFLPA is as useless as any other union.

red
08-15-2016, 07:24 PM
Maybe the second amendment people could do something to fix the problem the next time goodell comes to wisconsin

Rastak
08-15-2016, 07:34 PM
Don't give in. Screw The NFL. I'd refuse to talk to them all season.

ThunderDan
08-15-2016, 08:36 PM
The NFLPA is as useless as any other union.

Yup, the NFL players have it so horrible compared to the 60s.

Joemailman
08-15-2016, 08:38 PM
If suspended the NFLPA can file a lawsuit and probably keep the players on the field until there is a court ruling.

ThunderDan
08-15-2016, 08:43 PM
If suspended the NFLPA can file a lawsuit and probably keep the players on the field until there is a court ruling.

And 1 year later they will lose like Brady.

Joemailman
08-15-2016, 08:49 PM
And 1 year later they will lose like Brady.

That's okay as long as we win the Super Bowl this year!

Rutnstrut
08-15-2016, 08:52 PM
Yup, the NFL players have it so horrible compared to the 60s.

The point wasn't how bad off players are. The point was that when you really need them unions are useless. They do not have your back as they imply. They are however good at taking money from their members.

ThunderDan
08-15-2016, 09:52 PM
The point wasn't how bad off players are. The point was that when you really need them unions are useless. They do not have your back as they imply. They are however good at taking money from their members.

The players themselves are to blame for the last CBA they signed giving Roger Goddell absolute authority. It doesn't matter what court or legal theory they try the NFL trots out the ratified and signed CBA and they win.

gbgary
08-15-2016, 10:01 PM
Don't give in. Screw The NFL. I'd refuse to talk to them all season.

of course you would. lol

gbgary
08-15-2016, 10:03 PM
bs considering the guy recanted. so there's no story.

Rastak
08-15-2016, 10:04 PM
of course you would. lol

Yea, I'm messing with ya. Florio just wrote a good piece on how the Brady case ruling has emboldened Goodell to ignore policy even more.

I wish that dude would get ousted.

Rastak
08-15-2016, 10:08 PM
So here is the letter Goodell sent, stolen from PFT:

"As you know, the league has been investigating a nationally televised report concerning potential violations of the collectively bargained Policy on Performance-Enhancing Substances. There can be no question that the league has a good faith basis for conducting this investigation; moreover, the league and NFLPA have a shared interest in ensuring that our jointly developed policy is not being violated.

Nevertheless, since the initiation of our investigation in January the league has made at least seven attempts to arrange interviews of Messrs. Harrison, Matthews, Neal and Peppers. On each occasion, the NFLPA has communicated the players’ refusal to participate. Most recently, the NFLPA has attempted to prevent the interviews by submitting for each player a half-page statement, which you advised should be treated as a sworn statement given in a legal proceeding, and which you contend should fulfill the players’ acknowledged obligation to cooperate with the investigation. The statements, however, are wholly devoid of any detail, and we were quickly able to determine that Mr. Neal’s statement includes an assertion that is demonstrably false. Rather than eliminate the need for interviews, the players’ plainly deficient statements simply underscore the importance of obtaining their full cooperation.

You were so advised on July 29, when we again wrote to offer the players another opportunity to participate in an interview, beginning with Mr. Neal. In that letter, you were expressly notified that continued noncooperation could result in discipline up to and including a suspension. In response, you provided a revised statement and letter which acknowledged Mr. Neal’s prior steroid policy violation and that his previous “sworn statement” is in fact untrue. Most important, you advised that Mr. Neal had again refused to cooperate with our investigation by participating in an interview.

There is no dispute that players are obligated to cooperate with the league’s investigation, as you have repeatedly acknowledged. This obligation includes not only the responsibility to submit to an interview but also the duty to provide meaningful responses to the questions posed. Nor is there a dispute that a failure to cooperate or an attempt to obstruct the investigation may result in discipline, including suspension from play, for conduct detrimental under Article 46 of the CBA and the NFL Player Contract.

We cannot accept your unilateral assertion that the cursory, untested statements you have submitted satisfy the players’ obligation. Accordingly, the Commissioner has directed that Messrs. Harrison, Matthews, Neal and Peppers be given until Thursday, August 25 to provide interviews. For those players whose interviews do not take place on or before that date, or who fail meaningfully to participate in or otherwise obstruct the interview, their actions will constitute conduct detrimental and they will be suspended, separate and apart from any possible future determination that they violated the steroid policy. The suspension for each such player will begin on Friday, August 26 and will continue until he has fully participated in an interview with league investigators, after which the Commissioner will determine whether and when the suspension should be lifted.

To avoid this outcome, please promptly contact my office to make arrangements for the interviews. As previously stated, we will make every effort to accommodate the NFLPA’s availability, within the outlined time period."

Patler
08-15-2016, 10:21 PM

How do you know he was truthful when recanting and not when he told the original stories?

Joemailman
08-15-2016, 10:41 PM
How do you know he was truthful when recanting and not when he told the original stories?

Well, we can't know for sure, but the NFL has talked to Manning and found no credible evidence that the original story was true. My guess is the guy recanted to avoid a lawsuit, either by one of the players, or by the company.

Patler
08-15-2016, 10:47 PM
My guess is the guy recanted to avoid a lawsuit, either by one of the players, or by the company.

I suspect you are correct about his reason for recanting, but that still doesn't mean the original story wasn't true and the recant a lie. He may have recanted to avoid a suit even though the story was true.

Bretsky
08-15-2016, 11:37 PM
The commiss already abused his power in bullying Brady around in his Rogers Rules self appointed system aka...guilty unless proven otherwise............many joked about it cause it was he Pats..............how is Rogers Rules feeling now ?

ThunderDan
08-16-2016, 07:24 AM
The commiss already abused his power in bullying Brady around in his Rogers Rules self appointed system aka...guilty unless proven otherwise............many joked about it cause it was he Pats..............how is Rogers Rules feeling now ?

They are what the players agreed to. I don't like them. This case is a little different from the Brady case as property wasn't destroyed in this case and they did have texts about "The Deflator".

If this is Peppers last year, I wonder if he doesn't interview just to try the legal system out in this case. The case pushes out a year with appeals and Peppers retires before the suspension hits.

Guiness
08-16-2016, 08:11 AM
They are what the players agreed to. I don't like them. This case is a little different from the Brady case as property wasn't destroyed in this case and they did have texts about "The Deflator".

If this is Peppers last year, I wonder if he doesn't interview just to try the legal system out in this case. The case pushes out a year with appeals and Peppers retires before the suspension hits.

Peppers would seem to be in a good position to do this - likely the last year of a long (HOF?) career, has made plenty of money and as far as I know hasn't blown it all. But I don't know that he's enough of a shit disturber.

I think James Harrison is more likely to take a stand. He is certainly not concerned about his image and would love a chance to piss all over Roger's cornflakes.

Patler
08-16-2016, 08:25 AM

Doesn't bother me a bit. I think the league has an obligation to look into the report, and I think the players generally have an obligation to work with the league to maintain the integrity and reputation of the league. MLB ignored issues for years, and it didn't enhance their image to their fans.

Radagast
08-16-2016, 08:32 AM
Regardless of agreements or commissioners, is not this still America . Nobody has to volunteer information that puts them in jeopardy. Appeal this point in a court and there will be changes. IMO , if the NFL can't prove their own case without bullying people then they deserve to loose. If medical testing and Private Investigator surveillance is not invasive enough, then the confessions will not be forthcoming . Can anyone say "The Imposition" or "The McCarthy Hearings ", the powerful never do stop reaching for even more power .

Pugger
08-16-2016, 09:07 AM
After the Brady saga I fear Clay and Julius are basically screwed. Even if they submit to these 'interviews' Goodell and company might suspend them anyway because they didn't answer the questions to their satisfaction. The NFLPA may appeal but sooner or later these players will be suspended sometime in the future. When the CBA comes up things are really gonna get ugly.

ThunderDan
08-16-2016, 09:33 AM
Regardless of agreements or commissioners, is not this still America . Nobody has to volunteer information that puts them in jeopardy. Appeal this point in a court and there will be changes. IMO , if the NFL can't prove their own case without bullying people then they deserve to loose. If medical testing and Private Investigator surveillance is not invasive enough, then the confessions will not be forthcoming . Can anyone say "The Imposition" or "The McCarthy Hearings ", the powerful never do stop reaching for even more power .

You are being ridiculous.

Guiness
08-16-2016, 09:52 AM
Doesn't bother me a bit. I think the league has an obligation to look into the report, and I think the players generally have an obligation to work with the league to maintain the integrity and reputation of the league. MLB ignored issues for years, and it didn't enhance their image to their fans.

Never know if you're playing devil's advocate or not! Should they look into it? Yes. Should players be forced into conducting interviews and answer questions? Not sure why. This is like the oldest line in the book from a cop asking you to turn your pockets out - "If you've got nothing to hide, why does it matter?"

disclaimer: I'm Canadian, most of what I know about US law I learned from 'The Practice'!

The way this is heading, it seems to me that signing a contract with the NFL effectively suspends your 5th amendment right?

Rastak
08-16-2016, 10:02 AM

If my employer said they wanted to talk about some accusations, founded or unfounded and I told them to "forget it, I'm not talking". I would likely also be on an unpaid leave very quickly.

"This is Amercia" doesn't work so well with a private employer.

That said, Goodell makes this stuff up as he goes and people don't care until it's "their" team about to get rammed up the keister, then suddenly it's not fair.

Guiness
08-16-2016, 10:05 AM
You are being ridiculous.

I don't know, the original statement from Al Jazeera is looking an awful lot like a McCarthyism, and the NFL is acting on it.

Patler
08-16-2016, 10:20 AM
If my employer said they wanted to talk about some accusations, founded or unfounded and I told them to "forget it, I'm not talking". I would likely also be on an unpaid leave very quickly.

"This is Amercia" doesn't work so well with a private employer.

That said, Goodell makes this stuff up as he goes and people don't care until it's "their" team about to get rammed up the keister, then suddenly it's not fair.

That's the way I feel about it. I get the feeling this would have gone away quickly and quietly if the players had met with the league when first asked (sometime last spring?). The union decided to take a stance. That immediately set up a battle, because the league could not simply say, "Oh, OK. Never mind." and then just ignore it. The union knew it to. Basically, the initial refusal pretty much indicated that this was going to court, because I didn't expect either side to back down until forced.

Manning's part with the league went mostly unnoticed until it was done, and the announcement made. It could have been the same with the other players.

texaspackerbacker
08-16-2016, 10:27 AM
The media in general is a bunch of scumbags, and Al Jazeera has to be the worst of the worst. That being said, it wouldn't hurt the guys they accused to go in and say for the record that it's all bullshit. They aren't testifying under oath, and if the NFL had independently found reason to bring them in instead of the damn media, clearly they should go. As it is, it appears they have no choice.

One thing that troubles me just a little bit, if it is total bullshit, why don't the players sue the scumbags for slander or libel?

Patler, if Matthews and/or Peppers say they didn't and it comes out that they did, are you gonna turn against them too?

Patler
08-16-2016, 10:29 AM
Never know if you're playing devil's advocate or not!

:-)This time I'm not.

Should they look into it? Yes. Should players be forced into conducting interviews and answer questions? Not sure why. This is like the oldest line in the book from a cop asking you to turn your pockets out - "If you've got nothing to hide, why does it matter?"

disclaimer: I'm Canadian, most of what I know about US law I learned from 'The Practice'!

The way this is heading, it seems to me that signing a contract with the NFL effectively suspends your 5th amendment right?

But this isn't the police in a criminal investigation. It's more like a private employer/employee situation. Not exactly, because the league isn't the direct employer. That's what makes for litigation!

Patler
08-16-2016, 10:34 AM
One thing that troubles me just a little bit, if it is total bullshit, why don't the players sue the scumbags for slander or libel?

I think a couple of the baseball players have. It's tough to win against the media, especially when they have a tape of the "informant" saying exactly what was reported.

Carolina_Packer
08-16-2016, 10:43 AM
Meanwhile, back at NFL Headquarters...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrzMhU_4m-g

pbmax
08-16-2016, 10:50 AM

This is the important part. The rest of this is just checking boxes. I thought there might be something to this when they reported Mike Neal made a demonstrably false statement in his affidavit to the League. But the false statement wasn't about this incident, his affidavit said he failed to mention his previous suspension for a positive PED test.

On the other hand, Goodell is doing a good job of assuring a job action in 2018/19.

pbmax
08-16-2016, 10:50 AM
I think a couple of the baseball players have. It's tough to win against the media, especially when they have a tape of the "informant" saying exactly what was reported.

If you are a public figure, you must prove malice of intent I believe.

pbmax
08-16-2016, 10:58 AM
The players themselves are to blame for the last CBA they signed giving Roger Goddell absolute authority. It doesn't matter what court or legal theory they try the NFL trots out the ratified and signed CBA and they win.

Goodell has always been the arbitrator of last resort in the CBA in most respects. So was Tagliabue. The language did not change. What did change was Roger availing himself of it more often and inventing new levels of sentencing based on the public reaction.

There are other areas where grievances are sent to a neutral arbitrator, but they are limited to contracts I believe. Drug and Alcohol and Conduct have never had outside arbitration.

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/190368246/understanding-the-nfl-cba-and-nflpa

Harlan Huckleby
08-16-2016, 12:05 PM
[SIZE=3]Regardless of agreements or commissioners, is not this still America . Nobody has to volunteer information that puts them in jeopardy.

You ever said that to YOUR boss when he/she asked you questions directly related to your workplace?

I want Salt n Pepper to spill every last bean.

gbgary
08-16-2016, 12:35 PM
it's become a distraction so get it over with.

ThunderDan
08-16-2016, 12:39 PM
I don't know, the original statement from Al Jazeera is looking an awful lot like a McCarthyism, and the NFL is acting on it.

But it is an employment issue that was agreed to in contract by the NFL and NFLPA.

It sucks, don't get me wrong. I would have hoped that the NFL would have stopped this when the person recanted their story.

Patler
08-16-2016, 12:50 PM
I would have hoped that the NFL would have stopped this when the person recanted their story.

I think with a minimal amount of cooperation from the players, it would have ended very quickly. Recanting alone wasn't enough to stop their inquiry, but minimal cooperation back in March/April (whenever) from the players would have been, I think. It would have quickly been forgotten.

Radagast
08-16-2016, 12:52 PM
You ever said that to YOUR boss when he/she asked you questions directly related to your workplace?

I never allowed any employer to BOSS me in any manor. Furthermore on the one occasion that I was called upon to testify truthfully about an incident, rather than lie and see a fine technician blamed, I told the truth and saw a nuclear engineer assume the responsibility for his actions . It was not what those in power wanted to see happen as they were trying to protect their engineer, but burning the innocent man would have been even worse .

If you live in fear of an employer, or those in power, they will feed on that fear and grow more arrogant . I pity anyone that can be held hostage to a job, no matter how good the job.

pbmax
08-16-2016, 12:55 PM
I think with a minimal amount of cooperation from the players, it would have ended very quickly. Recanting alone wasn't enough to stop their inquiry, but minimal cooperation back in March/April (whenever) from the players would have been, I think. It would have quickly been forgotten.

But that is why Goodell's actions will ultimately be self defeating. In a normal environment (say Tagliabue or Rozelle), the NFLPA might be more inclined to believe it is not precedent setting to have an interview under these circumstances.

But Roger is maximizing every chance he has to rule against players. I have no doubt that if they refused to be interviewed, it would not be a Favre non-cooperation fine or a Brady-like 4 game sentence. They would be gone until Roger is satisfied. And what satisfied Roger is not written down anywhere. It exists in the press reception of news and the opinions of his owners.

Patler
08-16-2016, 01:29 PM
I never allowed any employer to BOSS me in any manor. Furthermore on the one occasion that I was called upon to testify truthfully about an incident, rather than lie and see a fine technician blamed, I told the truth and saw a nuclear engineer assume the responsibility for his actions . It was not what those in power wanted to see happen as they were trying to protect their engineer, but burning the innocent man would have been even worse .

If you live in fear of an employer, or those in power, they will feed on that fear and grow more arrogant . I pity anyone that can be held hostage to a job, no matter how good the job.

It's not a matter of being in fear of an employer, its a matter of understanding that in many respects what is good for one is good for both. If the employee/employer relationship is viewed as being only adversarial, many opportunities will be lost.

Radagast
08-16-2016, 03:08 PM
It's not a matter of being in fear of an employer, its a matter of understanding that in many respects what is good for one is good for both. If the employee/employer relationship is viewed as being only adversarial, many opportunities will be lost.

The human "RACE' is adversarial, that is how many progress through life (Sadly) . The rarity is when you encounter those very few that qualify as human. Most people imitate the wolf as they prowl stealth-fully awaiting their chance to grab a share of the latest kill. Even in the most friendly of companies, advancement opportunities are reserved for family or a small circle of good ole boys or as a reward for reporting on your fellow workers. The current workplace today has become an environment of distrust and stress as more is continually expected from the same amount of resources and fear of being terminated is held over the heads of workers like a horse whip.

Goodell is no different, his power increases with each of his rulings . This elevates his position (and the owners) going forward. These accumulated bargaining chips of precedents set give him and the owners a stronger place to negotiate from in the future. If he can increase the fear level in the league, he can easier direct the league where the owners have told him to proceed.

If I had to sign a contract that contained a morals clause , I'd most likely reject it after reading it. Football players and other athletes don't have the option that other professions afford. The NFL, NBA, MLB , and other sports are monopolies that operate in their own best interest. The Billions of Dollars they make put them in the powerful position of dictating not just sports league rules , but also the power to manipulate people in their private lives. I still can't see where it's the leagues business if a player gets in trouble with the law as long as said player does not miss any of his job related activities. PED's do need to be tested for, but busting a player for smoking a little "legal" Marijuana in a state where it is legal is just plain intruding into another's personal life. Yet that's just where Goodell's morality squad are invading . After all, they'ere not operating heavy equipment or flying airplanes.

Harlan Huckleby
08-16-2016, 03:22 PM
I never allowed any employer to BOSS me in any manor. Furthermore on the one occasion that I was called upon to testify truthfully about an incident, rather than lie and see a fine technician blamed.
http://www.savageonline.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/the-simpsons-tapped-out-iphone-screen01_656x3691.jpg

QBME
08-16-2016, 03:27 PM
Just a couple of points to mix up the mess:
1. The news organization that broke the story - Al Jazeera America is now defunct for a reason.
2. As has been pointed out, the reporter associated with the story has recanted.
3. Peyton Manning, the reigning Superbowl Champion QB, was also implicated in the very same report. He is now successfully retired and unscathed.
4. I have an uneasy sense of dread I am about to be Patlerized.
5. The only "Imposition" to which I can relate is my In Laws unexpectedly showing up and staying for the July 4th holiday.

pbmax
08-16-2016, 03:38 PM
Just a couple of points to mix up the mess:
1. The news organization that broke the story - Al Jazeera America is now defunct for a reason.
2. As has been pointed out, the reporter associated with the story has recanted.
3. Peyton Manning, the reigning Superbowl Champion QB, was also implicated in the very same report. He is now successfully retired and unscathed.
4. I have an uneasy sense of dread I am about to be Patlerized.
5. The only "Imposition" to which I can relate is my In Laws unexpectedly showing up and staying for the July 4th holiday.

Al Jazeera America had a lot of problems, but the big ones weren't accuracy related.

The source recanted, the reporter did not.

Manning, according to the League, cooperated fully. He was not represented by the Union in this matter since he had retired.

pbmax
08-16-2016, 03:45 PM
ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 3h3 hours ago
This Al Jazeera investigation could be the tipping point for fans and media to realize that the NFL routinely overreaches on discipline.

BET YOU A DINNER IT IS NOT.

QBME
08-16-2016, 04:04 PM
Al Jazeera America had a lot of problems, but the big ones weren't accuracy related.

The source recanted, the reporter did not.

Manning, according to the League, cooperated fully. He was not represented by the Union in this matter since he had retired.

Ugh...PB Maxed, Patlerized....tomato, tomatoh....

ThunderDan
08-16-2016, 04:10 PM

Now that we know you worked with a nuclear engineer and like using different font sizes and colors, if you threaten someone to a duel or karate match we will know that you are a 2nd Woodbuck account.

pbmax
08-16-2016, 04:35 PM
GO MEADOW GO!

Radagast
08-17-2016, 12:43 AM
http://www.savageonline.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/the-simpsons-tapped-out-iphone-screen01_656x3691.jpg

Very Nice :tup:

I would buy a ticket for a cat juggling contest between Patler and ThunderDan . :duel:

Guiness
08-17-2016, 08:29 AM

Really? Let's look at Brady - IMO he went well beyond 'minimal cooperation'. By all accounts, he turned over records from the telecom company with all the texts from the time in question from his personal phone. He submitted to interviews. Roger still went after him tooth and nail, and focused on one item, text messages from a destroyed phone, and hung him for that.

If I was in the shoes of these players, I would be awful nervous that co-operating could end badly because Goodell, for instance, wants them to give him the GPS tracking information from their car...

Pugger
08-17-2016, 08:55 AM

That might not be good enough if the league doesn't like what they hear.

pbmax
08-17-2016, 09:45 AM
^ That is the worst thing about that whole case. He was eventually dinged more for not cooperating than for the evidence of his involvement in the original crime.

Patler
08-17-2016, 10:11 AM
Really? Let's look at Brady - IMO he went well beyond 'minimal cooperation'. By all accounts, he turned over records from the telecom company with all the texts from the time in question from his personal phone. He submitted to interviews. Roger still went after him tooth and nail, and focused on one item, text messages from a destroyed phone, and hung him for that.

If I was in the shoes of these players, I would be awful nervous that co-operating could end badly because Goodell, for instance, wants them to give him the GPS tracking information from their car...

I think the cases and situations are different from the leagues perspective.

Deflategate was viewed by the league as calling into question the legitimacy and fairness of how the game is played. It involved a team that had stretched the rules in the past, if not blatantly violated them. They smelled another act of unfairness. In their mind, it demanded a resolution.

The Al Jazeera situation was another in the line of ongoing drug annoyances, but the source was more distasteful than the alleged violation. They couldn't ignore it, but they would rather that it just go away quietly. To convey the appearance of due diligence in their investigation, it would be necessary to talk to the players.

Radagast
08-17-2016, 11:18 AM
Question : If you are a sub-group of NFL owners that the other owners follow and you want to hurt the NFLPA , but you want to remain out of the spotlight, what do you do ?
Answer : You get your commissioner to pounce upon an unproven story and threaten players . Weather you win or loose, the players look bad in the media as you come off as the high moral standards champion . In addition, you wave the commissioners gavel of power over the players heads and remind them who is in charge . All this pleases the owners who never saw a headline that they did not like .

scharpcheddar
08-17-2016, 05:07 PM
Vikings will run away with division at this point

pbmax
08-17-2016, 06:04 PM
PFT with the occasional good points about why agreeing to be interviewed is dangerous in and of itself:

Before anyone suggests that I remove the tin-foil hat, that tin-foil hat came in handy during the Saints bounty scandal, when the NFL tried to put words in Anthony Hargrove’s mouth in order to bolster the appearance that Hargrove was anxious to recover payment for battering Vikings quarterback Brett Favre in the 2009 NFC title game. That tin-foil hat also came in handy when dissecting the backward-ass junk science of #DeflateGate, along with comparing Tom Brady’s sworn testimony during his internal appeal to the manner in which Brady’s words were distorted in the appeal ruling from Commissioner Roger Goodell.

Football players aren’t lawyers or linguists, skilled in properly maneuvering and manipulating words in order to avoid giving the league through inadvertence or lack of precision a chunk of syllables that can be used to support a Constanza-esque “a-ha!” and a finding of guilt that the league office is hoping to impose. So when the players tell the truth with words that may be bent into an alternative version of the truth, that’s a very good reason to not say anything.

Then there’s the possibility that they’ll be asked a laundry list of questions about any and all communications with Charles Sly, the former Guyer Institute employee/intern/whatever whose claims already have been deemed to be not credible as to retired quarterback Peyton Manning but somehow retain potential credibility as to Packers linebacker Clay Matthews, Packers linebacker Julius Peppers, Steelers linebacker James Harrison, and free-agent defensive lineman Mike Neal. If/when the players deny knowing, talking to, texting, or emailing Sly, next will quite possibly come the request for (drum roll, please) their cellphones, so that the absence of any communications with Sly can be confirmed.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/08/17/the-risks-of-submitting-to-a-ped-interview/

Guiness
08-17-2016, 07:11 PM
Vikings will run away with division at this point

lol, wut?

Guiness
08-17-2016, 07:11 PM
PFT with the occasional good points about why agreeing to be interviewed is dangerous in and of itself:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/08/17/the-risks-of-submitting-to-a-ped-interview/

Just read that, and it does a good job of summing up how I feel about this.

It also makes me think 1 of 2 things about the Peyton interview.
1. It gave them reason to believe something is going on, but they exonerated Peyton because a)they can't touch him b) he's Peyton
2. They're happy there's nothing to see here, but want to exert their authority, mostly on Harrison.

pbmax
08-17-2016, 10:59 PM
Just read that, and it does a good job of summing up how I feel about this.

It also makes me think 1 of 2 things about the Peyton interview.
1. It gave them reason to believe something is going on, but they exonerated Peyton because a)they can't touch him b) he's Peyton
2. They're happy there's nothing to see here, but want to exert their authority, mostly on Harrison.

Peyton also had a fall guy/bag women: his wife was actually getting treatments there. As long as the paperwork was in "order" she could take responsibility for any contact.

GBkrzygrl
08-18-2016, 02:58 PM
Just heard on another forum that the players have agreed to do the interviews. Can anyone confirm that?

Pugger
08-18-2016, 03:27 PM
lol, wut?

If you ask some Vikings fans they are gonna win the SB this year.

pbmax
08-18-2016, 03:44 PM
Just heard on another forum that the players have agreed to do the interviews. Can anyone confirm that?

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 23m23 minutes ago
New from JSOnline and PackersNews: Matthews, Peppers agree to PED interviews http://ift.tt/2b7rYWj #Packers

Joemailman
08-18-2016, 03:59 PM
Rob Demovsky
ESPN Staff Writer

Clay Matthews and Julius Peppers have agreed to meet with the NFL regarding the Al-Jazeera PED investigation. According to ESPN's Chris Mortensen, all players named have agreed to meet, although Steelers LB James Harrison has set certain stipulations for his Aug. 28 meeting. No date known yet for Matthews and Peppers' interviews.

Joemailman
08-18-2016, 04:08 PM
In a letter from the NFL Players Association on behalf of Harrison, obtained by Rapoport, Harrison agreed to make himself available at 5 p.m. on August 29 at the Steelers' facility. In the statement, Harrison and the NFLPA "agree that this interview is occurring on a non-precedential basis" and reserve the right to fight any punishment stemming from the investigation..

Pugger
08-18-2016, 06:33 PM
Rob Demovsky
ESPN Staff Writer

Clay Matthews and Julius Peppers have agreed to meet with the NFL regarding the Al-Jazeera PED investigation. According to ESPN's Chris Mortensen, all players named have agreed to meet, although Steelers LB James Harrison has set certain stipulations for his Aug. 28 meeting. No date known yet for Matthews and Peppers' interviews.

I thought I read somewhere online earlier this evening Mike Neal has declined.

Joemailman
08-18-2016, 06:38 PM
I thought I read somewhere online earlier this evening Mike Neal has declined.

Neal didn't exactly give a clear denial when the story came out. I think he probably is guilty. If so, it would probably be the end to his career, because another violation of the substance abuse policy would probably be an indefinite suspension for him.

Guiness
08-19-2016, 10:21 AM
Neal didn't exactly give a clear denial when the story came out. I think he probably is guilty. If so, it would probably be the end to his career, because another violation of the substance abuse policy would probably be an indefinite suspension for him.

That, but maybe as some writers are hypothesizing is that he is going to be the 'test case' the NFLPA will pursue on this matter.

So many subplots to all this, and I am torn about how I feel. I personally have very little doubt there is a lot of PED usage in the NFL. I understand's Patler's view, and agree that the NFL should look very closely at this or they risk a MLB-like congressional hearing. But Goodell's recent unprecedented usage of the Commissioner's powers is a problem too.

It's obvious the player's are a little surprised, and likely didn't quite know the extent of power he had - witness Rodger's comment about Goodell being "I think there’s probably too much pressure to come back to a deal when we had all the power on our side.” As PFT pointed out, that part of the commissioner's power has been around since the NFL's first CBA, it's just never been used (abused?) to this extent.

Guiness
08-19-2016, 10:24 AM
And Harrison's request to have the interview filmed, and even televised is crazy - but crazy like a fox. There is definitely a need for transparency here, and doing this all behind closed doors is what could land this in court, or a congressional hearing!

pbmax
08-19-2016, 12:02 PM
Televising it would be smart and the NFL will never agree to do it.

Guiness
08-19-2016, 12:17 PM
Televising it would be smart and the NFL will never agree to do it.

They wouldn't let him record his drug test either. I think a video recording* of the interview should be a requirement. After the Ray Rice video came out, there were conflicting versions of what he did and did not say during his interview, and nothing to refer back to.

*said video recording not to be safeguarded by whatever NFL department was in charge of the Patriot's practice tapes!

gbgary
08-19-2016, 01:50 PM
a couple of baseball players named in the report have been exonerated.

Patler
08-20-2016, 02:36 PM
a couple of baseball players named in the report have been exonerated.

Both met and cooperated with the MLB investigators. Sly did not.

Rastak
08-24-2016, 07:46 PM
lol, wut?

I damn near got hit in the head from that ball from left field.....:-)

Rastak
08-24-2016, 07:47 PM

I heard the same from Packer fans last year, and every year previously.

It's that ole pre-season optimism.

pbmax
08-24-2016, 07:59 PM
^ Yeah, but this year I know I am right!

Patler
08-25-2016, 02:27 AM

I heard the same from Packer fans last year, and every year previously.

It's that ole pre-season optimism.

At least Packer fans have been right a few times! :wink: :)

Upnorth
08-25-2016, 07:19 AM
Anyone heard anything about the interviews yesterday? I assumed profootballtalk would be full of leaks and comments but it seems like the NFL fixed their cone of silence.

pbmax
08-25-2016, 10:46 AM
I do know they have agreed to have a transcriptionist record the proceedings so Roger cannot invent quotes again.

So, progress.

gbgary
08-25-2016, 11:33 AM
the next day is probably too soon for them to comment. they have to give the appearance they're absorbing, deliberating, and formulating, before exonerating the players. i'm sure he's already cleared them but won't say anything for several days to make us sweat.

Patler
08-25-2016, 11:35 AM
Won't we be surprised if they come back and suspend both for a year!

Cheesehead Craig
08-25-2016, 12:29 PM
Won't we be surprised if they come back and suspend both for a year!

That would pretty much guarantee a strike when the CBA ends. No way would the NFLPA let that go without a major sh*tstorm

pbmax
08-25-2016, 06:14 PM
That would pretty much guarantee a strike when the CBA ends. No way would the NFLPA let that go without a major sh*tstorm

Well I would strike. I don't know how many others.

The funny thing is, and in reality the hypocrisy isn't funny as its risking both League and legal sanction, is that I suspect all these guys are using something.

Pugger
08-25-2016, 09:30 PM
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17390509/no-new-evidence-nfl-ped-interviews

pbmax
08-31-2016, 01:31 PM
Peppers, Matthews and Harrison cleared. Still no word on Neal.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/08/31/nfl-clears-harrison-peppers-and-matthews/

Investigation covered:

1. witness interviews
2. relevant records
3. laboratory analysis ????

Upnorth
08-31-2016, 01:34 PM
Peppers, Matthews and Harrison cleared. Still no word on Neal.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/08/31/nfl-clears-harrison-peppers-and-matthews/

Investigation covered:

1. witness interviews
2. relevant records
3. laboratory analysis ????

I am assuming the looked at previous negative tests by the 4 individuals involved

pbmax
08-31-2016, 01:35 PM
Statement:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CrNRm9kWYAAEsbG.jpg:large

pbmax
08-31-2016, 01:36 PM
Jason Cole @JasonColeBR
However, source said DL Mike Neal, who hasn't been cleared yet, did have a relationship with people at Guyer Institute.

Carolina_Packer
08-31-2016, 01:44 PM
Jason Cole @JasonColeBR
However, source said DL Mike Neal, who hasn't been cleared yet, did have a relationship with people at Guyer Institute.

So, did the Packers front office know this and not re-sign him, or did they just not want him anymore without prior knowledge?

texaspackerbacker
08-31-2016, 01:55 PM
My guess is all this had nothing to do with not re-signing Neal - just a football decision.

pbmax
08-31-2016, 02:00 PM
It certainly isn't help that this was going to hang over his head. Just another risk of an unavailable player.

call_me_ishmael
08-31-2016, 02:14 PM
My guess is all of these people took steroids but there wasn't a trail to anyone but Neal. C'mon, Neal was massive in college, known for his strength, etc. Then he was suspended for "add medication" on another occasion - but the league doesn't actually say what banned substance a player took. That's his word, not the official word. Where there's smoke there's fire. I 110% believe that Mike Neal isn't on this roster because he was bringing reckless steroid use into the locker room. Look at all the Packers suspended for similar violations the past few years.

QBME
08-31-2016, 04:53 PM
My guess is all of these people took steroids but there wasn't a trail to anyone but Neal. C'mon, Neal was massive in college, known for his strength, etc. Then he was suspended for "add medication" on another occasion - but the league doesn't actually say what banned substance a player took. That's his word, not the official word. Where there's smoke there's fire. I 110% believe that Mike Neal isn't on this roster because he was bringing reckless steroid use into the locker room. Look at all the Packers suspended for similar violations the past few years.

Just a small point - HGH is not a steroid.