PDA

View Full Version : ROGERS RULES----AN ABUSE OF POWER.....JS articles

Bretsky
08-17-2016, 07:38 AM
Interesting

http://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/dougherty/2016/08/16/nfl-overstepping-boundaries-ped-probe/88833888/

Patler
08-17-2016, 07:45 AM
In my opinion, his conclusion that "...this case doesn’t fall under the personal-conduct policy" is weak.
No reason it can't fall under multiple provisions of the CBA.

I'm not at all sure what this is based on:

Also, if the league can force the players to interview, it also can force them to turn over phone, bank and medical records.

I agree with the agent's conclusion:

“This (hissing) match between the union and the league is at such a ridiculous point that I think the union sees this as an opportunity to be a thorn in the side of the NFL,” the agent said.
...and therein lies the problem, It has gotten to the point that it is a power struggle only, and in specific situations individual players may suffer.

pbmax
08-17-2016, 08:15 AM
I think the agent is underselling the possible change in the relationship and Goodall's attempt to increase his reach. Dougherty is right, Goodell is taking the Second District (Brady) ruling and applying it more broadly.

Cooperation would be much simpler if one side was not trying to expand its powers. Suspending players indefinitely for refusing to interview under conduct detrimental (about the issue of PEDs) is a pretty broad expansion.

I don't know if any of them want to go to court, but I bet someone does.

Patler
08-17-2016, 08:20 AM
I don't know if any of them want to go to court, but I bet someone does.

I think the union wants to, the league would prefer not to, but doesn't dread it either.
The union wants to because it is playing catch-up in their power struggle with the league.

Pugger
08-17-2016, 08:52 AM
Let's say the players submit to these interviews but the league isn't happy with what they hear? As I said in another thread these 4 players are basically screwed. I hope the NFLPA files an appeal so Julius and Clay can play this year like Brady did last season.

pbmax
08-17-2016, 09:49 AM
I think the union wants to, the league would prefer not to, but doesn't dread it either.
The union wants to because it is playing catch-up in their power struggle with the league.

George Attallah was just on the radio. My impression, and that of the host (former player) Ross Tucker was that the NFLPA would like to work out a deal beforehand and have the interviews. But the NFL stance is comply or sue.

They feel like the Brady case basically gives them this leeway with Conduct Detrimental cases. And conduct detrimental can now be invoked at any time by the League and covers non-compliance regardless of other sections of the CBA.

Patler
08-17-2016, 09:56 AM
Atallah works/worked for the NFLPA. Atallah is a PR guy. What he says is for the purpose of conveying a desired impression, and may be based on half-truths. I'm sure the NFLPA wants the fans to think they are willing to cooperate within agreed limits.

Bretsky
08-17-2016, 07:59 PM
George Attallah was just on the radio. My impression, and that of the host (former player) Ross Tucker was that the NFLPA would like to work out a deal beforehand and have the interviews. But the NFL stance is comply or sue.

They feel like the Brady case basically gives them this leeway with Conduct Detrimental cases. And conduct detrimental can now be invoked at any time by the League and covers non-compliance regardless of other sections of the CBA.

BINGO

RODGER RULES is out of control

Bretsky
08-17-2016, 08:02 PM
IF I'm a player I'm not trusting Roger one bit
And who knows what will occur after a detailed interview even if they are innocent.

Rutnstrut
08-18-2016, 12:14 AM
Let Roger run rampant. That power hungry fool will shoot himself in the foot. Before long he will have pushed out or suspended the NFL's biggest money makers. Soon after that game attendance and tv ratings will go way down. Once Power hungry Roger starts costing the NFL a lot of money, he will be out.

Harlan Huckleby
08-18-2016, 11:23 AM
Let Roger run rampant.

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTgxOTE1NjA0OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODM3MTYxMQ@@._ V1_.jpg

I don't know. Don't know what made me think of this. Roger gonna make America Great Again. Beautiful, beautiful rabbit.

Cheesehead Craig
08-18-2016, 11:56 AM
Let Roger run rampant. That power hungry fool will shoot himself in the foot. Before long he will have pushed out or suspended the NFL's biggest money makers. Soon after that game attendance and tv ratings will go way down. Once Power hungry Roger starts costing the NFL a lot of money, he will be out.

The only thing that will bring down the NFL is the NFL itself and the players go on strike. The fans won't care as they will still happily throw billions at the league for jerseys, game day tix and stadiums until that happens. Take away their fantasy football though, and there will be pitchforks and torches in the streets. The sports reporters and TV talking heads will rage against the machine, but the average fan could care less so long there's a game on Sunday for them to watch.