View Full Version : THE NFC EAST

Radagast
08-19-2016, 07:47 AM
The NFC East

New York Giants
Dallas Cowboys
Washington Redskins
Philadelphia Eagles

These 4 NFC East teams will play the Packers this 2016 season . Information on these teams will be important to the Packer's Coaches , and we should also be paying attention too.

IMO, The Redskins appear to have the edge over the other 3 teams in this division. GB will face each of these teams this season and I believe they will get their toughest test from Washington .

Information, Humor , Opinions , or just your good wishes for GB against the NFC East is this threads purpose. I'll be looking forward to your most interesting post . :-)

:glug: Go Pack Go ! :glug:

ThunderDan
08-19-2016, 09:36 AM
This is related to Packer football. You should start another thread in the GB Packers sub-forum.

Radagast
08-19-2016, 10:22 AM
This is related to Packer football. You should start another thread in the GB Packers sub-forum.

Thanks TD , but I choose this category because it primarily focuses upon teams other than Green Bay and what they are up to . I naturally assume that an "official" game thread will appear as the Packers face each of these opponents. In addition, I hope to see funny pictures/cartoons trashing these teams. I did not want this thread to upset serious discussions in the GB Packers threads. Also any discussions involving these teams may not evolve around any GB related subjects.

I'd like to read your interesting insights on these teams, should be fascinating . :-)

Joemailman
08-20-2016, 09:13 PM
If Romo and Dez Bryant are healthy, Cowboys are the best team in the NFCE. They were 3-1 with Romo last year, and 12-4 the year before.

Bretsky
08-21-2016, 09:11 AM
I don't know what to make out of this; one would think the Eagles have a year to rebuild but Bradford may just start for a while as the rook develops. Dallas seems to be a mess of bad people in a locker room whose QB could go down with a major injury at any time. Washington, of Cousins stays healthy and continues to be decent, is dangerous. I have no idea what we have in the Giants. I would think GB goes 3-1 versus this group

MadtownPacker
08-21-2016, 12:51 PM
In case you are wondering why the thread was moved... All NFL discussion is welcome in the Packers area.

Radagast
08-21-2016, 03:08 PM
Si Senor :five:

hoosier
08-21-2016, 03:25 PM
Redskins cannot win the NFCE. They won it last year. Last time they won it in back to back years, Bart Starr was the coach in GB and Lynn Dickey was throwing to James Lofton.

smuggler
08-21-2016, 03:39 PM
Redskins and Cowboys are quality teams. Giants are a mess. Eagles? Quite possibly the NFC's worst team. Dogshit squaaaaaad.

King Friday
08-21-2016, 10:36 PM
If Romo's back can withstand one more NFL season, the Cowboys should come out of that division on top. They have a cupcake schedule that is almost as easy as Green Bay's. They have more talent on their roster than anyone else in that division.

Washington is a pretender. They only played 3 teams worth a damn last year...NE, CAR, GB. They lost those 3 games by a combined score of 44-106. I'd be very surprised if Washington wins more than 8 games. Their top RB is already getting dinged up.

The Giants? Meh. Can they back into a division crown if Romo gets hurt and the division becomes a complete mess just like it was last year? Sure. That's not exactly how any team wants their best shot to be outlined, though.

The Eagles? When Jordan Matthews is your best WR and the only RB most casual NFL fans would even recognize on your roster is a very old Darren Sproles, you are going to be looking up at a lot of teams in the standings come December. Even Matt Millen is impressed with how efficiently Chip Kelly decimated the Eagles roster.

pbmax
08-21-2016, 11:04 PM
Problem with picking the Boys is that Romo is no more likely to be deathly for 16 games than Bulaga.

texaspackerbacker
08-22-2016, 04:55 AM
Problem with picking the Boys is that Romo is no more likely to be deathly for 16 games than Bulaga.

This year they seem to have a decent backup, though. Prescott reminds me a lot of Hundley.

Despite all the bad-mouthing he gets, Jerry Jones out-GMs pretty much any GM in the NFL - IMO.

Pugger
08-22-2016, 08:12 AM
But how good is the girls' defense?

Upnorth
08-22-2016, 08:27 AM
They aren't good pugger, but none of the other nfce teams have much d either.

Patler
08-22-2016, 10:17 AM
Despite all the bad-mouthing he gets, Jerry Jones out-GMs pretty much any GM in the NFL - IMO.

I think you have fallen for hype and aura. If you look into what the Cowboys have accomplished, Jones is very mediocre as a GM since the salary cap came into play.

Jones had success before the salary cap, when he could simply outspend most other teams. Since the salary cap came into existence, he is basically average, with no significant playoff success in the last 20 years. In the last 20 years, the Cowboys record is 162-158, barely above .500. They've had just 9 winning seasons, and three of those were 9-7. Mediocre, at best. If he was working as GM for an owner other than himself, he would have been let go long ago.

LEWCWA
08-22-2016, 12:23 PM
This year they seem to have a decent backup, though. Prescott reminds me a lot of Hundley.

Jerry Jones out GM's nobody! The guy is a disaster as a GM, Brilliant as an owner and generating revenue. This team has done nothing since the mid 90's...it took about 3-4 years to dismantle what Jimmy Johnson built and has been a complete mess ever since...

pbmax
08-22-2016, 12:30 PM
Many of Jerry's best decisions lately have been the ones he has left to Stephen to make. Including most of his stellar offensive line.

HarveyWallbangers
08-22-2016, 01:10 PM
Should be an interesting division. Nobody plays defense in this division. With Romo I give Dallas a slight edge (but how long will he last) over Washington and the Giants.

gbgary
08-22-2016, 01:43 PM
But how good is the girls' defense?

they sucked last year and did nothing to make it better. romo's health would have been the main factor in their success but with the way prescott has played i don't think it's end-all it once was. the one-trick-pony dez will still be a factor offensively, whitten (?) who knows at his age, and no real threats at the other wr positions. the big deal for them will be the improvement in the running game. if they can keep the d off the field they'll win the division imo.

pbmax
08-22-2016, 02:42 PM

deathly != healthy

but auto-correct doesn't care.

Radagast
08-22-2016, 04:00 PM
Redskins and Cowboys are quality teams. Giants are a mess. Eagles? Quite possibly the NFC's worst team. Dogshit squaaaaaad.

I would point out that these Eagles have defeated both Tampa Bay and Pittsburgh so far this preseason . Furthermore , in case you have not noticed , the Eagles new Head Coach is Doug Pederson . You remember GB's backup QB to B. Favre . He earned my respect then and I don't expect that he has changed . To gain some insight as to his quality, one need only look at who he hired for his OC, it's Frank Reich. He was Jim Kelly's backup QB in Buffalo. Pederson was always prepared as a Packer and none should underestimate him know .

MadScientist
08-22-2016, 05:10 PM
I would point out that these Eagles have defeated both Tampa Bay and Pittsburgh so far this preseason . Furthermore , in case you have not noticed , the Eagles new Head Coach is Doug Pederson . You remember GB's backup QB to B. Favre . He earned my respect then and I don't expect that he has changed . To gain some insight as to his quality, one need only look at who he hired for his OC, it's Frank Reich. He was Jim Kelly's backup QB in Buffalo. Pederson was always prepared as a Packer and none should underestimate him know .

The next time a team beating another team in preseason means anything will be the first.

As for Peterson and his coordinators, they may well be good coaches, but Philly was left as a mess. It will almost certainly take a few years, even if the right people are in place.

HarveyWallbangers
08-22-2016, 05:18 PM
I like the direction that Philadelphia is headed, but they are probably two years away. Chip Kelly damaged that franchise. I was impressed with Wentz in their first preseason game--even though his stats were ordinary.

pbmax
08-22-2016, 05:31 PM
Pederson got Wentz hurt by playing him very late in the 4th with the scrubs. Given all they gave up to get him, it was monumentally stupid. A five for two trade of picks which includes NEXT years number 1 and they played him with 4 minutes left in the first preseason game.

Idiots.

texaspackerbacker
08-22-2016, 08:28 PM
I figured defending Jerry Jones would bring that kind of response. Just the same, he has done a good job of team building. Their O Line is second to none which is gonna make Morris have a good year even if Elliot doesn't. Jones resisted the hype to draft a QB early or to sign a retread. Their D is more than decent in the front seven. They have had bad luck with injuries among the DBs, but I expect my second favorite team to be one of the toughest on the Packer schedule and a clear top team in the fairly lame NFC East.

King Friday
08-22-2016, 09:10 PM
Many of Jerry's best decisions lately have been the ones he has left to Stephen to make. Including most of his stellar offensive line.

Yep. Jerruh no longer is the GM of the Cowboys. He's handed that duty off to his son...and his son is a much better GM (i.e. trusts the scouts/board, doesn't let ego get in the way) at making good value picks. The growth in depth on their roster in the last 2-3 years is entirely the result of Stephen taking over those responsibilities.

ThunderDan
08-22-2016, 09:23 PM
The next time a team beating another team in preseason means anything will be the first.

As for Peterson and his coordinators, they may well be good coaches, but Philly was left as a mess. It will almost certainly take a few years, even if the right people are in place.
+1, 3 years ago they might have had one of the best rosters with the most dynamic playmakers in the NFL. Chip Kelly took care of that and now they are going to have to rebuild.

Patler
08-22-2016, 11:00 PM
I figured defending Jerry Jones would bring that kind of response. Just the same, he has done a good job of team building. Their O Line is second to none which is gonna make Morris have a good year even if Elliot doesn't. Jones resisted the hype to draft a QB early or to sign a retread. Their D is more than decent in the front seven. They have had bad luck with injuries among the DBs, but I expect my second favorite team to be one of the toughest on the Packer schedule and a clear top team in the fairly lame NFC East.

So their actual performance over the last 20 years means nothing??

texaspackerbacker
08-23-2016, 04:28 AM
So their actual performance over the last 20 years means nothing??

He's owned the team for 27 years - starting from a deep hole. You conveniently want to only consider the last 20? They have been up and down, a net of about .500 - a helluva lot of teams have done worse - and that's with more than their share of bad luck with injuries.

Regarding the son taking over, make no mistake who still holds the power and has the final say.

Fritz
08-23-2016, 05:09 AM
He's owned the team for 27 years - starting from a deep hole. You conveniently want to only consider the last 20? They have been up and down, a net of about .500 - a helluva lot of teams have done worse - and that's with more than their share of bad luck with injuries.

Regarding the son taking over, make no mistake who still holds the power and has the final say.

If more Rats had Tex's attitude about what constitutes success for an NFL GM, there would be far fewer calls for Ted Thompson's head. If Jerry Jones is out-GM-ing most GM's, then Ted is truly a God.

Patler
08-23-2016, 07:41 AM

As I wrote when I looked at the last 20 years, I did it because those are the years of salary cap football. As I said originally, he had success when he could simply outspend other teams, because there was no salary cap. Since he has had deal with a hard salary cap, he is basically a .500 GM. You can't excuse 20 years by "bad luck". He is a ho hum gm under the constraints of a salary cap.

texaspackerbacker
08-23-2016, 08:12 AM
As I wrote when I looked at the last 20 years, I did it because those are the years of salary cap football. As I said originally, he had success when he could simply outspend other teams, because there was no salary cap. Since he has had deal with a hard salary cap, he is basically a .500 GM. You can't excuse 20 years by "bad luck". He is a ho hum gm under the constraints of a salary cap.

Interesting theory, but I doubt it's true. Jerry Jones barely had the money to scrape together and buy the Cowboys for a bargain price. He more resembled George Halas than say Paul Allen or Lamar Hunt. The team made a lot of money, and the franchise got a lot more valuable, hence he is probably filthy rich now, but I doubt even now that he has the money of some other owners who had billions before buying teams.

Patler
08-23-2016, 08:45 AM
Interesting theory, but I doubt it's true. Jerry Jones barely had the money to scrape together and buy the Cowboys for a bargain price. He more resembled George Halas than say Paul Allen or Lamar Hunt. The team made a lot of money, and the franchise got a lot more valuable, hence he is probably filthy rich now, but I doubt even now that he has the money of some other owners who had billions before buying teams.

The Cowboys were widely known to have a much larger payroll than much of the league prior to the salary cap. Maybe there were a few richer owners, but Jones had money from his oil and gas business that he was willing to spend on football players. As I remember it, the Cowboys were pointed at as one of the reasons that a salary cap was needed. They had an owner willing to buy championships.

Patler
08-23-2016, 09:12 AM
Jerry Jones barely had the money to scrape together and buy the Cowboys for a bargain price.

I didn't recall Jones getting any bargain at the time, in fact I recalled the sale being costly for that day and age. So I looked up prices that other teams were sold for at about that time:

1984 Chargers - $70 million
1984 Broncos - $78 million
1985 Saints - $70 million
1989 Cowboys - $150 million
1994 Patriots - $172 million
1994 Eagles - $185 million
1995 Bucs - $192 million
1997 Seahawks - $197 million

At twice the cost of teams sold just 4 or 5 seasons earlier and only somewhat (15-25%) less than teams sold in the following 8 years, the sale of the Cowboys seemed to set a new value level for NFL teams.

texaspackerbacker
08-23-2016, 10:49 AM
All the more reason he didn't have big money to throw around in the pre-cap era as you implied.

Patler
08-23-2016, 11:41 AM
All the more reason he didn't have big money to throw around in the pre-cap era as you implied.

But he did. The Cowboys were the Yankees of the NFL, outspending most everyone, as I recall.
As I said, it was Jones' Cowboys that drove home the need for a salary cap.

pbmax
08-23-2016, 11:58 AM
Jerry spent a lot of his wealth acquiring the Cowboys, that is true. but he did it by taking on an incredible amount of debt.

He serviced that debt by doing everything he could to turn every fan interaction into a turnstile charging admission. Also he was a leader in naming rights and sponsorships.

He violated League dictates about local sponsorships that competed with national ones (League was sponsored by Coke, Cowboys Stadium by Pepsi). One of young lackey Roger Goodall's first jobs was to negotiate with Jerry over this conflict of sponsorships. In a sign of future hand kowtowing, Goodell convinced the League to go along with the local deals.

Everything you can think of Dan Snyder doing to charge his pubic and fans (and the Packers are headed this way too), Jerry was doing first. Danny excels at it giving his marketing background and Robert Kraft probably has executed the best, but Jerry got there first.

And given the cash windfall he was now reaping, he and the 49ers spent a LOT of money in the new cap era (early to mid 90s). They were the teams that everyone thought would break the rest of the League. But eventually the cap accountants caught up to them and extracted a pound of flesh. Jerry went nearly cap broke trying to keep the triplets together with Deion, but he never was not shy on spending cash for players.

pbmax
08-23-2016, 12:04 PM
Also need help, thesaurus failed me (or I failed in using said thesaurus).

Wanted to use a term for paying a price or penalty through a costly and dearly held mean. I think it often includes the idea of "a pound of flesh", which I had to substitute in the above post.

Its a term that I believe with origins in religious principles. Closely related to penance, but this word would be more specifically tied to the idea of a transaction, a giving up of one thing to another person. Probably also tied to reformation, Luther and the Catholic Church. Its going to drive me nuts for a couple of hours, maybe someone here can help.

Patler
08-23-2016, 12:30 PM

Wanted to use a term for paying a price or penalty through a costly and dearly held mean. I think it often includes the idea of "a pound of flesh", which I had to substitute in the above post.

Its a term that I believe with origins in religious principles. Closely related to penance, but this word would be more specifically tied to the idea of a transaction, a giving up of one thing to another person. Probably also tied to reformation, Luther and the Catholic Church. Its going to drive me nuts for a couple of hours, maybe someone here can help.

Retribution?

Radagast
08-23-2016, 12:32 PM

So let's look at this word mathematically :

Paying a costly price for something held dear + a pound of flesh + giving up something to another person + a few nuts = ?

Could the word you are looking for be "sacrifice" ?

If I'm correct , as a reward I would like to gain a bit of future kindness maybe ? :-)

ThunderDan
08-23-2016, 01:21 PM

A pound of flesh is a Shakespeare term from "The Merchant of Venice".

pbmax
08-23-2016, 01:29 PM
Retribution?

Nope, not exactly. Close cousin perhaps. Paying a tribute (forced compensation of some sort) would come closer. But the term I have in mind is almost always used in active sense against the payer. Very similar to extracting a pound of flesh.

pbmax
08-23-2016, 01:32 PM
So let's look at this word mathematically :

Paying a costly price for something held dear + a pound of flesh + giving up something to another person + a few nuts = ?

Could the word you are looking for be "sacrifice" ?

If I'm correct , as a reward I would like to gain a bit of future kindness maybe ? :-)

In the ball park here. But a sacrifice would be a dear price to pay for something you wish (often the sacrifice is someone or something else). My search is something you must pay but in most circumstances you would wish to avoid. You have done or achieved something you desired despite what it will now cost.

pbmax
08-23-2016, 01:32 PM
A pound of flesh is a Shakespeare term from "The Merchant of Venice".

Yep. And mine a similar idea, less well expressed. Shorter though, because I think its a word not a phrase.

MadScientist
08-23-2016, 03:50 PM

Luther vs the CC was about 'indulgences' as in the sale of indulgences (pre-payment for future sins).

Other payment words with religious connotations could be tributes or tithes.

MadScientist
08-23-2016, 03:53 PM
In the ball park here. But a sacrifice would be a dear price to pay for something you wish (often the sacrifice is someone or something else). My search is something you must pay but in most circumstances you would wish to avoid. You have done or achieved something you desired despite what it will now cost.

Not a word, but 'paying the piper' comes to mind with this description.

pbmax
08-23-2016, 04:42 PM
Not a word, but 'paying the piper' comes to mind with this description.

Similar idea.

pbmax
08-23-2016, 04:48 PM
Luther vs the CC was about 'indulgences' as in the sale of indulgences (pre-payment for future sins).

Other payment words with religious connotations could be tributes or tithes.

All similar territory. As this day has gone on, it has occurred to me I might be thinking of an idiom. But wages of sin is the closest I can think of and that wasn't it.

Radagast
08-24-2016, 06:52 PM
I believe this thread has sacrificed enough on this indulgence . I'd hate to see this thread pay any more tribute looking for an elusive word/phrase . The NFC East was the original thread idea. I believe that we may escape retribution if we tithe no more on this idiom. After all the wages of sin often result in taxing results . :-)

And now, back to football !

pbmax
08-24-2016, 07:41 PM
Came close with the dictionary definitions for indulgences.

NFL Films Tribute to Vince Lombardi (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZG71XwgOSU)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZG71XwgOSU

Cheesehead Craig
08-24-2016, 08:19 PM
More Shakespeare! Once more into the breach!

Radagast
08-25-2016, 01:47 PM
Now Dallas and Philly and Redskin and Giants, On Comet and Cupid and Donner and Blitzon . Now dash away , dash away, dash away all !

:pack:

pbmax
08-25-2016, 06:16 PM
Washington wins again as the former Packer GM Scot McCloughan stocks the team with more talent, but the QB ends the season with another first round flameout.

Eagles are in disarray on offense (QB?) and Dallas falls out of playoff when Romo is hurt again and Dak Prescott proves to be a good pre-season player, but not ready for prime time.

Jerry then fires his kids.

pbmax
08-25-2016, 06:17 PM
The more I think about it, the more I think tribute was the word I was looking for. Capologists extract tribute.

Still not 100%.

pbmax
08-25-2016, 10:16 PM
Washington wins again as the former Packer GM Scot McCloughan stocks the team with more talent, but the QB ends the season with another first round flameout.

Eagles are in disarray on offense (QB?) and Dallas falls out of playoff when Romo is hurt again and Dak Prescott proves to be a good pre-season player, but not ready for prime time.

Jerry then fires his kids.

Called it.

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 15m15 minutes ago
WATCH: Tony Romo exits game after suffering apparent back injury - http://CBSSports.com

Too bad.

Radagast
08-25-2016, 11:17 PM
Matt Flynn is an available Free Agent (Gunslinger QB). He would love Dallas .

Fritz
08-26-2016, 09:30 AM
Cowboys look to be the strength of that division, no question. Heck, some probably delusional Cowgirl fans are hoping that backup QB becomes the starter. Of course, I will never forget the Packers playing the Cowboys years ago at Thanksgiving, and the Dallas starter was out (was it Roger Staubach? Or Troy Aikman?) was out, so it looked good for the Pack. Then some backup nobody ever heard of - I think his name was Jason Garrett - came in and slung the ball all over the place and beat the Pack.

Radagast
08-26-2016, 12:18 PM
Cowboys look to be the strength of that division, no question. Heck, some probably delusional Cowgirl fans are hoping that backup QB becomes the starter. Of course, I will never forget the Packers playing the Cowboys years ago at Thanksgiving, and the Dallas starter was out (was it Roger Staubach? Or Troy Aikman?) was out, so it looked good for the Pack. Then some backup nobody ever heard of - I think his name was Jason Garrett - came in and slung the ball all over the place and beat the Pack.

So true O mighty Fritz ! Sometimes when your watching the boys, a cow can horn you right in the ass . So in my opinion Dallas' QB is not the primary weapon this season, it's their rookie RB Elliot that will be wearing the horns this season .

Do not however discount Washington this year, they have been that quiet team that without fanfare have been steadily improving. Gruden has this team grinding in the right direction, even as they have had an injury setback at RB, but I'll bet they resolve that situation and continue to move forward . They might be the Sleeper Team that catches many off their guard this season .

:glug:

gbgary
08-26-2016, 03:12 PM
ok...(sigh)...i think romo's hurt. i think it's a disc. he was limping around in street clothes after the game. if i'm right and he ends up needing a procedure it falls on the rookie. as good as he seems to be he'll struggle as rookies do. they won't win the division. if i'm wrong...nevermind.

Joemailman
08-27-2016, 01:43 PM
Romo has a broken bone in his back. He needs to retire. Seriously.

red
08-27-2016, 02:25 PM
he needs to change his name to glass joe

pft is saying he's out for 6-10 weeks

"how bout them cowboys", good thing they decided not to get a real backup this offseason

pbmax
08-27-2016, 02:41 PM
I am on a roll. Someone post a thread about the NFC North so I can predict doom for Teddy Bridgewater.

Dallas Cowboys ‏@dallascowboys
MRI reveals a fractured bone in Tony Romo's back, undetermined timetable for return.

gbgary
08-27-2016, 03:20 PM
Romo has a broken bone in his back.

i knew it was something serious.

Patler
08-27-2016, 03:27 PM
undetermined timetable for return.

I'm thinking "never".

gbgary
08-27-2016, 03:31 PM
i saw a 6-10 week window posted.

King Friday
08-27-2016, 04:26 PM
Wow. I knew the guy was fragile...but this is getting ridiculous. Romo needs to seriously consider hanging it up at this point. He's only reducing his standard of living for the rest of his life at this point.

Don't worry about the Boys...Johnny Football is only a quick phone call away, but it will take at least a month for him to get sober enough to find the practice facility.

Radagast
08-27-2016, 04:43 PM
Wow. I knew the guy was fragile...but this is getting ridiculous. Romo needs to seriously consider hanging it up at this point. He's only reducing his standard of living for the rest of his life at this point.

Don't worry about the Boys...Johnny Football is only a quick phone call away, but it will take at least a month for him to get sober enough to find the practice facility.

Matt Flynn is available . LOL

Prescott looks very good though, but like Denver last season, when #1(Romo) returns he will assume his place no matter how well Prescott does . I just hope Romo returns to play GB on Oct 16th . I'd just love to see Jerry's QB get planted for good in Lambeau Field .

pbmax
08-27-2016, 05:19 PM

He came down pretty awkwardly. I would have been surprised if he wasn't at least banged up after landing like he did.

Fritz
08-28-2016, 07:49 AM
"Glass Joe," Red? C'mon, this is Packerrats. We can do better than that.

Bony Tony? Slow-mo Romo?