PDA

View Full Version : Poppinga given start over Taylor

BananaMan
09-04-2006, 05:49 PM
Second-year linebacker Brady Poppinga also has moved up to No. 1 on the depth chart ahead of Ben Taylor and is expected to start at strong-side linebacker on Sunday.

Poppinga has recovered remarkably quickly from a torn ACL sustained last December, but he has maintained all along his comeback wasn't based on a time frame but on coming back as a quality player and contributor. Having just returned to practice four weeks ago (Aug. 7) and taking over a starting spot for the season opener certainly speaks to that.

"I never really expected it to happen," Poppinga said. "I knew it was a possibility, so the bottom line is I'll just give the greatest amount of effort I can to contribute to the team. It just so happens I'm probably going to be a starter. But it doesn't really matter if you're starting, you just have to go make plays, and that's my focus, to be a playmaker."

Taylor is now listed as the top backup at both the strong-side and weak-side linebacker positions. -Packers.com
---

I guess they really like him. Ben Taylor is the kind of player you're always trying to replace, but I thought he'd be a decent player until one of the young guys stepped up.

I'm assuming Poppinga stepped up. Or Taylor didn't look that good.

Probably both.

gbpackfan
09-04-2006, 06:10 PM
There are some very interesting things listed in the updated depth chart. Some things are a bit concerning.

1. I just find it hard to believe that Popps won the starting job in what, two weeks? Taylor was the starter all summer and into the preseason and it almost seems like Popps was just given the starting job. It will be interesting to see how he plays on Sun.

2. Noah Herron is our #1 kick returner despite doing VERY LITTLE back there during the preseason. Herron may very well be the least explosive kick returner in the league. TT had an opportunity to correct this problem via the waiver wire and failed. TT is telling me that he is more then satisfied with average to below average special teams. Very disappointing. I expect the Packers to have to drive 85 to 75 yards for just about every touchdown.

3. Jason Hunter is also listed as a back-up LB. Interesting. What an athletic kid.

4. Kendrick Allen is listed as our starting DT, along with Pickett. Cole is now #3 on the depth chart.

5. Those 4 WRs stick out like a sore thumb! Don't get me wrong, I am one of the few who actually like the 4 that we have, but only having 4 is a HUGE MISTAKE! MM initially talked about going into the season with 6 and now he is satisfied with 4? Come on! There is still time to correct this problem. Go get Calico, Watts or Rodgers.

6. Gado is #3 on the depth chart at RB. Herron is the new #2. As much as I dislike Herron as a kick returner, I don't have a problem with him as the #2 RB yet. He knows when to make the cut and was consistently turning out positive runs. Is he explosive? No. Is he safe? So far, yes. No fumbles and positive chunks, that will do. Can he do it against the Bears? I'll tell ya Sunday at 6pm!

Link to depth chart: http://www.packers.com/team/depth_chart/

RashanGary
09-04-2006, 06:19 PM
Not a big surprise. Poppinga looked like the most intimidating linebacker in our camp. That is including Hawk. Of course Hawk is faster and more prepared to handle coverages but Poppinga will bring it with QB pressure and coming off blocks to make tackles.

Packnut
09-04-2006, 06:26 PM
Popp is the closest thing we have to a capable blitzer. His weakness is mis-diretion plays.

FritzDontBlitz
09-04-2006, 06:27 PM
jason hunter should be listed in the lb core imo. he's basically a lb playing de. but then, so is kgb. wouldn't it be nice if they taught kgb some basic coverage skills so they could add a zone blitzing element to the defense?

Bretsky
09-04-2006, 06:32 PM
Not a big surprise. Poppinga looked like the most intimidating linebacker in our camp. That is including Hawk. Of course Hawk is faster and more prepared to handle coverages but Poppinga will bring it with QB pressure and coming off blocks to make tackles.

Everything I've read would say Hodge looked like the most intimidating LB in camp; I hope they are right on Pop. I've never been a believer but he can happily prove me wrong.

Willard
09-04-2006, 06:36 PM
3. Jason Hunter is also listed as a back-up LB. Interesting. What an athletic kid.

5. Those 4 WRs stick out like a sore thumb! Don't get me wrong, I am one of the few who actually like the 4 that we have, but only having 4 is a HUGE MISTAKE!

So, do you think Hunter can catch?? :wink:

RashanGary
09-04-2006, 06:38 PM
I don't think Barnett is going to be resigned. I think Hodge Poppinga Hawk will make him replacable.

b bulldog
09-04-2006, 06:41 PM
I agree, Nick will be moving on when his contract is up although I could see the team trying to trade him this offseason.

MJZiggy
09-04-2006, 06:42 PM
2. Noah Herron is our #1 kick returner despite doing VERY LITTLE back there during the preseason. Herron may very well be the least explosive kick returner in the league. TT had an opportunity to correct this problem via the waiver wire and failed. TT is telling me that he is more then satisfied with average to below average special teams. Very disappointing. I expect the Packers to have to drive 85 to 75 yards for just about every touchdown.

I think they just stuck Herron in there for the moment as Blackmon has returned to practice and is slotted to be the return guy when he does. We'll see how that works out...And if Herron doesn't fire things up out there, Stock will probably throw Martin in there to do it again.

Edit: And don't forget about Woodson like I just did.

prsnfoto
09-04-2006, 07:02 PM
. Those 4 WRs stick out like a sore thumb! Don't get me wrong, I am one of the few who actually like the 4 that we have, but only having 4 is a HUGE MISTAKE! MM initially talked about going into the season with 6 and now he is satisfied with 4? Come on! There is still time to correct this problem. Go get Calico, Watts or Rodgers

I think this is why they keep extra TE's Lee can play WR so can woodsen and so can Blackmon. There just isn't much out there so we go with what we got all of this is because of fergy the Fraud I think most of what you see out there is the same as him talentwise and I think they take a cap hit yet this year if they ditch him so we keep our own shit. Fergy will be gone next year unless he breaks 500 yds and that ain't gonna happen.

BallHawk
09-04-2006, 07:03 PM
I thought it was reported that Samkon was gonna be the #2?

BananaMan
09-04-2006, 07:09 PM
wouldn't it be nice if they taught kgb some basic coverage skills so they could add a zone blitzing element to the defense?

They already did. Numerous times last year KGB would drop off into coverage from his DE spot.

Joemailman
09-04-2006, 07:11 PM
I thought it was reported that Samkon was gonna be the #2?

2006 Depth Chart

Offense
Pos. First Team Second Team Third Team
WR 85 Greg Jennings* 89 Robert Ferguson
LT 76 Chad Clifton 73 Daryn Colledge*
LG 72 Jason Spitz* 73 Daryn Colledge*
C 63 Scott Wells 68 Chris White
RG 75 Tony Moll* 62 Junius Coston 64 Tony Palmer*
RT 65 Mark Tauscher 62 Junius Coston 73 Daryn Colledge*
TE 88 Bubba Franks 87 David Martin 86 Donald Lee
84 Tory Humphrey* (4)
WR 80 Donald Driver 18 Ruvell Martin*
QB 4 Brett Favre 12 Aaron Rodgers 7 Ingle Martin*
RB 30 Ahman Green 23 Noah Herron 35 Samkon Gado
FB 33 William Henderson 48 Vonta Leach

Defense
LDE 74 Aaron Kampman 96 Michael Montgomery
LDT 97 Kenderick Allen 77 Cullen Jenkins 90 Colin Cole
RDT 79 Ryan Pickett 99 Corey Williams 93 Johnny Jolly*
RDE 94 Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila 57 Jason Hunter* 96 Michael Montgomery
SAM 51 Brady Poppinga 58 Ben Taylor 59 Tracy White
MIKE 56 Nick Barnett 55 Abdul Hodge*
WILL 50 A.J. Hawk* 58 Ben Taylor 57 Jason Hunter*
LCB 21 Charles Woodson 28 Ahmad Carroll 27 Will Blackmon*
RCB 31 Al Harris 28 Ahmad Carroll 24 Jarrett Bush*
SS 22 Marquand Manuel 29 Tyrone Culver*
FS 36 Nick Collins 29 Tyrone Culver* 26 Charlie Peprah*

Special Teams
K 16 Dave Rayner
P 9 Jon Ryan*
H 9 Jon Ryan* 18 Ruvell Martin*
PR 21 Charles Woodson 85 Greg Jennings* 89 Robert Ferguson
27 Will Blackmon* (4)
KR 23 Noah Herron 35 Samkon Gado 28 Ahmad Carroll
27 Will Blackmon* (4)
PC 60 Rob Davis 75 Tony Moll*
KC 60 Rob Davis 75 Tony Moll*

* Rookies and first-year players are indicated by an asterisk.
** Depth Chart Is Subject To Change.

Gadi is indeed #3. He is more talented than Herron, but right now Herron understands better how to run behind zone blocking than Gado. Hopefully that will change.

Lurker64
09-04-2006, 07:27 PM
If Poppinga is a solid SLB, does this make Barnett expendable in free agency next year?

It seems that if they keep Barnett, they'll be struggling to find ways to get Hawk, Popp, Hodge, and Barnett on the field all at the same time next year.

Rastak
09-04-2006, 07:43 PM
Wow, I'm impressed with Poppinga's drive and determination. He and Culpepper are definately deserving of kudos for such hard work to get back.

potsdam_11
09-04-2006, 08:36 PM
Wow, I'm impressed with Poppinga's drive and determination. He and Culpepper are definately deserving of kudos for such hard work to get back.

Ditto

I find it interesting that a year ago, many were hearlding this man as the next great linebacker... and now there seems to be universal suprise. Not everyone flourishes their first year in the NFL...

How pleasant to see in this day and age... A player that earns a spot on drive, and not potential..

RashanGary
09-04-2006, 09:05 PM
poppinga did it with both. The only reason he was a 4th round pick is becuase he was 25. Physically, the guy is a 2nd round pick.

mraynrand
09-04-2006, 09:38 PM
Ben Taylor has a really bad body for a LB.

MuttnJeff
09-04-2006, 10:35 PM
6. Gado is #3 on the depth chart at RB. Herron is the new #2. As much as I dislike Herron as a kick returner, I don't have a problem with him as the #2 RB yet. He knows when to make the cut and was consistently turning out positive runs. Is he explosive? No. Is he safe? So far, yes. No fumbles and positive chunks, that will do

Wow!

I can't beleive fans are OK with Herron being the first running back off the bench. I'm stunned. I don't mind the guy as special teams coverage player, and an EMERGENCY option at running back. Herron's lack of quickness will be exposed when he is playing against a first string defense. Green is not going to be able to take every snap.

Gado must have really disappointed the coaches somehow.

the_idle_threat
09-04-2006, 10:37 PM
Ben Taylor has a really bad body for a LB.

You seen him nekkid? :?: :shock: :razz:

the_idle_threat
09-04-2006, 10:40 PM

We might see some booing at Lambeau if a kicker catches this guy from behind. :razz:

MuttnJeff
09-04-2006, 10:44 PM
Speaking of nekkid, I think Noah must have pictures of MM & TT.

mraynrand
09-05-2006, 07:49 AM
Gado must have really disappointed the coaches somehow.

Yes he did. He's not very good running the zone block scheme. And that's what happens when you change coaches and schemes - you don't have the personnel right away to run what you want and you can only replace so many guys at a time. Clifton and Tauscher were good tackles running Shermy's schemes and now they may be just guys. The entire O-line and the running backs need to be re-tooled for the new scheme. It will probably take a few years, especially if Green doesn't recover.

HarveyWallbangers
09-05-2006, 07:55 AM
All three RBs will see carries. Obviously, the coaches felt Gado would eventually figure out the ZBS or they wouldn't have kept him. As soon as he feels comfortable, he'll likely be #2 on the depth chart again.

Bretsky
09-05-2006, 07:58 AM
All three RBs will see carries. Obviously, the coaches felt Gado would eventually figure out the ZBS or they wouldn't have kept him. As soon as he feels comfortable, he'll likely be #2 on the depth chart again.

What a fantasy football mess; the guys from NY called me last night and asked why I had Ahman rated so low for running backs. This and a shitty OL were the reasons.

B

KYPack
09-05-2006, 08:30 AM
poppinga did it with both. The only reason he was a 4th round pick is becuase he was 25. Physically, the guy is a 2nd round pick.

1 Average to below average speed.
2. Stand-up DE in College.
3. A potential pro LB.

That's a fourth rounder.

I'm still skeptical that he can be regular SAM in the NFL. I know he can play the run, but his coverage skills are lacking. Maybe he can pull it off, but he hasn't shown me much.