PDA

View Full Version : Masthay Released new punter claimed

CaptainKickass
08-30-2016, 05:06 PM
http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article-roster-moves/article-1/Packers-claim-P-Jacob-Schum-off-waivers/7615318f-46df-4add-9c8a-121baddd243b

Freak Out
08-30-2016, 05:12 PM
Just saw that on FB. Wow.

Harlan Huckleby
08-30-2016, 05:42 PM
No surprise here, I had Jacob Schum on my final 53.

ThunderDan
08-30-2016, 05:56 PM
That is a shocker.

Patler
08-30-2016, 06:08 PM
It's amazing that he broke the record for average net punting distance last year, a record that stood for 52 years, and gets cut this year for a guy who is nothing more than a name on a sheet of paper to the team. I'm a little surprised they didn't hang on to Masthay and brig the other guy in, too.

texaspackerbacker
08-30-2016, 06:13 PM
Sheeesh! I hope he can do a decent job holding for Crosby. I hope they know something that doesn't show up in stats. The guy seems like a step down from either Masthay or Mortell.

ThunderDan
08-30-2016, 06:13 PM
It's amazing that he broke the record for average net punting distance last year, a record that stood for 52 years, and gets cut this year for a guy who is nothing more than a name on a sheet of paper to the team. I'm a little surprised they didn't hang on to Masthay and brig the other guy in, too.
I think that average was boosted by special teams coverage. Mastay had to have shanked at least 6 punts last year.

esoxx
08-30-2016, 06:15 PM
Obligatory post

ThunderDan
08-30-2016, 06:18 PM
Zook with his stupid giant PUNT signs seemed to get most issues fixed since he took over.

red
08-30-2016, 08:21 PM
Huh, I guess no one wins the punting competition

Rastak
08-30-2016, 08:23 PM
Was Masthay that bad last year?

Couldn't have been as bad as Vikings Locke.

Guiness
08-30-2016, 08:37 PM
Well, didn't see that one coming. When Mortell was released, I figured Mathsay had sorted out his issues and was the punter for the season! Why this guy now?

esoxx
08-30-2016, 09:03 PM
I'm sure Scoops McGinn will have the skinny on what's going down. Isn't the first time TT has rolled the dice on the position with the season right around the corner. Hoping for a better result this time around {see Ryan, Jon}.

call_me_ishmael
08-30-2016, 09:08 PM
For a few years there, I perceived Mastay as a premier punter in the league. I then perceived he fell back down to earth big time the past couple years. Was he really that bad? I am surprised by this move.

smuggler
08-30-2016, 09:10 PM
He was a "plus" player there for a few years, but he's really struggled the last two seasons, even as the coverage units have improved. Sad to see him go, I enjoyed his goofy ass trick plays.

Harlan Huckleby
08-30-2016, 09:26 PM
Does anybody care who the punter is? They're barely part of the team. They give them a jersey from the Packer pro shop and some tiny fake shoulder pads. You know they'll be replaced by another interchangeable part as soon as they hit a slump. They are like hookers who move from team to team to team.

Punts are boring plays that you just want to get over with. I know they matter, but so do extra points and coin flips.

esoxx
08-30-2016, 09:37 PM
Does anybody care who the punter is? They're barely part of the team. They give them a jersey from the Packer pro shop and some tiny fake shoulder pads. You know they'll be replaced by another interchangeable part as soon as they hit a slump. They are like hookers who move from team to team to team.

Punts are boring plays that you just want to get over with. I know they matter, but so do extra points and coin flips.

Next thing you know you'll be asking does anybody care who the long snapper is. They can play on the line in a pinch.
Maybe not.

HarveyWallbangers
08-30-2016, 10:51 PM
He was a "plus" player there for a few years, but he's really struggled the last two seasons, even as the coverage units have improved. Sad to see him go, I enjoyed his goofy ass trick plays.

Agreed. He was pretty awful two years ago and not as good as his stats last year. Before that, he was a pretty good punter. I believe his struggles started around the time his Dad died.

pbmax
08-30-2016, 11:54 PM
Packers must have hired Mike Stock as a consultant.

I wonder if they are sitting on some bad Masthay news.

Fritz
08-31-2016, 06:18 AM
Packers must have hired Mike Stock as a consultant.

I wonder if they are sitting on some bad Masthay news.

I suppose the team felt they couldn't afford to cut anyone left to open up a spot for a mini competition at punter. They must've watched a lot of film of this guy punting (Harlan, you know you'd get a boner watching a guy punt over and over and over). And they must've been scouting him pre-season. No mention of his hang times.

I was surprised in the JSPG at how poor Masthay's gross and inside-the-20 numbers were last year. I thought he was supposed to be good at dropping them inside the 20.

I don't see this like Jon Ryan at all. Lots of Rats thought Ryan was damn good; I believe the Packers just didn't want to pony up - think it was his contract year? Masthay already got the big contract; he just underperformed. In the last article on him he sounded like some desperate Buddhist guru - flowing through the kick, rhythm, using the ground for power.

And now he's gone. Maybe if the new guy doesn't work out they can re-sign Masthay on the cheap.

Shanks for the memories, Tim.

wootah
08-31-2016, 06:25 AM
Farewell, Ginger Wolverine...

KYPack
08-31-2016, 10:20 AM
The death of Dr Shankenstein.

To Wootah's point, does the new guy have red hair, too?

pbmax
08-31-2016, 10:23 AM
This is some weird Ted voodoo. This kids numbers aren't great from last year. Was he a monster in college?

Patler
08-31-2016, 10:39 AM
This is some weird Ted voodoo. This kids numbers aren't great from last year. Was he a monster in college?

The only thing I can think of is that maybe he is consistently mediocre, whereas Masthay had more radical extremes. The most disturbing thing with Masthay last year was that many of his bad punts came at times when a decent punt was needed the most. Perhaps Schum's consistent mediocrity is preferable in those situations.

Then again, maybe the reason was as simple as deciding that either one will provide only mediocre punting, and there is no sense in paying Masthay $1.2 M when you can get the same result from Schum for a minimum salary (which I presume is about all that he received).

pbmax
08-31-2016, 10:48 AM
The only thing I can think of is that maybe he is consistently mediocre, whereas Masthay had more radical extremes. The most disturbing thing with Masthay last year was that many of his bad punts came at times when a decent punt was needed the most. Perhaps Schum's consistent mediocrity is preferable in those situations.

Then again, maybe the reason was as simple as deciding that either one will provide only mediocre punting, and there is no sense in paying Masthay $1.2 M when you can get the same result from Schum for a minimum salary (which I presume is about all that he received).

Agree with the 2nd point unless there is some big issue that is unknown.

Masthay really seemed to get a handle on the Aussie style punting but that got away from him over the last 2 years. And like Jon Ryan before him, his best punts seemed to come when he was already at midfield.

Could always be that whatever tick they thought he developed that hurt him has not really gone away.

I just hope they did not cut more upside (Mortell) to get a guy with 1 year game experience (and 3 years of camp).

Patler
08-31-2016, 11:08 AM

Masthay really seemed to get a handle on the Aussie style punting but that got away from him over the last 2 years. And like Jon Ryan before him, his best punts seemed to come when he was already at midfield.

Could always be that whatever tick they thought he developed that hurt him has not really gone away.

I just hope they did not cut more upside (Mortell) to get a guy with 1 year game experience (and 3 years of camp).

You are right about that Aussie style punt. 3-4 years ago there were several articles about Masthay being one of the first to really master it, being able to dial in whatever distance he needed. The last couple years too many of his "inside the 20" kicks that look to be positive results were between the 15 and 20, so not really all that successful.

Fritz
08-31-2016, 11:51 AM

Could be that under the "it takes three years for a punter to develop" Ted figures, based on the scouting reports, that Schum is ready to explode onto the national punting scene.

Or it could be that he's paying less for the same mediocrity this year, and has already whispered to Mortell (is that the spelling?) to practice up and come back next year.

vince
08-31-2016, 12:25 PM
Teddy's smitten. (https://www.instagram.com/p/BIOIvhlj6q1/)

Pugger
08-31-2016, 12:44 PM
I thought I read somewhere that Schum's hang time was better than Masthay's...

Patler
08-31-2016, 12:48 PM
Or it could be that he's paying less for the same mediocrity this year, and has already whispered to Mortell (is that the spelling?) to practice up and come back next year.

...or to stay by the phone in case they want him sometime in the next couple weeks. Schum could be there more on a tryout than anything else. Heck, after tomorrow night they might even bring Masthay back. I have a feeling they aren't done with the punting position yet.

Fritz
08-31-2016, 06:09 PM
...or to stay by the phone in case they want him sometime in the next couple weeks. Schum could be there more on a tryout than anything else. Heck, after tomorrow night they might even bring Masthay back. I have a feeling they aren't done with the punting position yet.

A Derrick Frost sighting is surely in the works.

Crosby's head must be spinning.

pbmax
08-31-2016, 06:26 PM
Mike Sherman would never be caught napping, or hmmm, with his pants down like this. He'd have two punters on the roster at all times. In case a waiver struck unexpectedly.

Pugger
09-01-2016, 08:31 AM
The death of Dr Shankenstein.

To Wootah's point, does the new guy have red hair, too?

No, his hair is dark brown.

Harlan Huckleby
09-01-2016, 01:20 PM
I'm ashamed of myself, but I decided to take a trip down Packer punter memory lane at packers.com. I see Masthay is tied with David Beverley and Don Bracken as longest serving. Perhaps that's why people are so weepy.

Duncan, Ken 1971
Widby, Ron 1972-1973
Walker, Randy 1974
Broussard, Steve 1975
Beverly, David 1975-1980
Stachowicz, Ray 1981-1982
Scribner, Bucky 1983-1984
Prokop, Joe 1985
Renner, Bill 1986-1987
Bracken, Don 1985-1990
McJulien, Paul 1991-1992
Wagner, Bryan 1992-1993
Hentrich, Craig 1994-1997
Landeta, Sean 1998
Aguiar, Louie 1999
Hanson, Chris 1999
Bidwell, Josh 2000-2003
Barker, Bryan 2004
Flinn, Ryan 2005
Sander, B.J. 2005
Ryan, Jon P 2006-2007
Frost, Derrick 2008
Kapinos, Jeremy 2008-2009
Masthay, Tim 2010-2015
Schum, Jake 2016

pbmax
09-01-2016, 01:22 PM
Nothing says Ron Wolf like Sean Landeta and Louie Aguiar.

Harlan Huckleby
09-01-2016, 01:25 PM
I miss the Bryan Barker and Ryan Flinn golden era.

swede
09-01-2016, 01:32 PM
Why do I remember Ray Stachowicz and Bucky Scribner so well? We must have punted a lot back then.

David Beverly seemed like a skinny jeans kind of guy, I remember that. The kind of guy that would sit cross-legged on the floor at a party even when there were still chairs left.

Patler
09-01-2016, 01:47 PM
HH, you are putting the cart before the horse, the kick before the snap, the hold before the catch of the snap. Schum needs to make it past the final cut down to be listed as the 2016 punter. I will be waiting with bated breath on Saturday...........

pbmax
09-02-2016, 07:08 AM
Review of the new punters first night: http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2016/09/02/schum-gets-off-right-foot/89720242/

"I thought he did a lot of good things," McCarthy said. "Jacob, for being with us for two days, he punted well in practice yesterday and I thought he continued that again tonight. Most importantly, I think the ball placement outside the numbers was what we were looking for and I think he accomplished that."

So something we speculated about, that being asked to kick directionally, seems to be a factor they way Zook and McCarthy are having their punt team operate.

pbmax
09-02-2016, 07:28 AM
Something seems different about this new punter.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CrWReV9XgAECGDl.jpg:large

Guiness
09-02-2016, 11:51 AM
Barker, Bryan 2004
Flinn, Ryan 2005
Sander, B.J. 2005

Flinn was the punter the year Sander was on the roster? I remember it being Barker.

Ok, looked. Sander was on the roster for 2(!) years. Inactive the first year, Barker punted. Tried to use him the following year for 14 games until they brought in the bartender.