PDA

View Full Version : 53 Man Roster Prediction

HarveyWallbangers
08-30-2016, 11:17 PM
QB Aaron Rodgers, Brett Hundley
RB Eddie Lacy, James Starks, Brandon Burks
FB Aaron Ripkowski
WR Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb, Davante Adams, Ty Montgomery, Jared Abbrederis, Jeff Janis, Trevor Davis
TE Jared Cook, Richard Rodgers, Justin Perillo
OL David Bakhtiari, Josh Sitton, J.C. Tretter, T.J. Lang, Jason Spriggs, Kyle Murphy, Lane Taylor, Don Barclay
DL Mike Daniels, Letroy Guion, Kenny Clark, Dean Lowry, Brian Price
OLB Clay Matthews, Nick Perry, Julius Peppers, Datone Jones, Kyler Fackrell, Jayrone Elliott
ILB Blake Martinez, Jake Ryan, Sam Barrington, Joe Thomas
CB Sam Shields, Damarious Randall, Quinten Rollins, LaDarius Gunter, Josh Hawkins
S Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, Morgan Burnett, Micah Hyde (CB), Chris Banjo, Kentrell Brice
ST Mason Crosby, Jacob Schum, Rick Lovato

PUP: OL Corey Linsley
SUSP: DL Mike Pennel, CB Demetri Goodson
IR: RB John Crockett, TE Kennard Backman, TE Mitchell Henry, OL Josh Walker

PS: QB Joe Callahan, WR Geronimo Allison, OL Lucas Patrick, DL Christian Ringo, DL Tyler Kudler, OLB Reggie Gilbert, ILB Carl Bradford, CB Makinton Dorleant, S Marwin Evans

Thoughts: I'm not convinced Jayrone Elliott is safe, but the local writers seem to think so. Price, Elliott, Thomas, Hawkins, and Banjo are the last five in. I could see Price being beat out by somebody on another team's roster. I could see Elliott or Thomas being beat out by Bradford (and possibly Gilbert). I could see Banjo being beat out by Evans. My shocker cut would be Sam Barrington. If Barrington doesn't secure a starting role over Jake Ryan, I could see the Packers going with Thomas and Bradford as the backups.

Not sure who they will waive/injured among the group on IR. Some may be waived, so that they can return later in the year.

Goodson may not have a spot when he returns from suspension.

call_me_ishmael
08-30-2016, 11:36 PM
Harv I think you left off Bulaga.

vince
08-31-2016, 12:32 PM
I'm hoping Evans and Bradford also make it. They can play now if needed on ST particularly. I'd drop Taylor and Price in a heartbeat for those 2. Price will make it throuh to the PS and can be promoted if necessary. I'm not sold on Hawkins either, particularly on ST, which is the only place he'd see the field. It would be great if Hawkins and Murphy could pass through to the PS. If they get spots it's because they don't want to lose them for next year and beyond because they won't dress APRH.

vince
08-31-2016, 12:36 PM
Damn near any of the 10 on the ps could conceivably make the squad too. That's some serious depth.

Fritz
08-31-2016, 06:28 PM
Every third year or so there's a surprise veteran cut. Was that Masthay?

texaspackerbacker
08-31-2016, 07:47 PM
I like that prediction because of the position break down - 7 WRs and 10 DBs. We have quality there; Better to keep it than extra bodies in positions of less strength. I wouldn't even mind seeing even one more DB and maybe only 8 O Linemen.

Patler
09-01-2016, 12:18 AM
Has Davis really earned a roster spot? More so than Allison, Bradford, Evans, Daniel or Dorleant?

HarveyWallbangers
09-01-2016, 12:41 AM
Has Davis really earned a roster spot? More so than Allison, Bradford, Evans, Daniel or Dorleant?

I've liked what I've seen. There's upside. He's fast, and I like his route running potential. Just needs to get better against press. He's different than the other receivers. Allison has impressed, but I don't know what the upside is there. He has size, but a 4.67 40 tells me that he might have issues going against better corners. A lot of his catches have been contested balls. Bradford has played better, but does he have the upside to be better than this? Daniel could make it over Hawkins, but I think Daniel or Hawkins would be easier to get back on the practice squad. What has Dorleant proven? He's been injured much of camp. I'm intrigued by Evans, but I'd rather have 7 WRs (especially after last season) than 6 safeties. If Evans makes the team, it's likely at the expense of Banjo.

Patler
09-01-2016, 01:16 AM
I think it is unlikely that any team would put in a waiver claim for Davis. Getting him to the PS isn't very risky, in my opinion.

HarveyWallbangers
09-01-2016, 02:08 AM
I think it is unlikely that any team would put in a waiver claim for Davis. Getting him to the PS isn't very risky, in my opinion.

I disagree. If nothing else, I think he'd likely bolt to another team's practice squad. With the depth at WR he has incentive to sign with another team. Players have done that before (maybe Jumal Rolle and Rajion Neal).

Patler
09-01-2016, 06:02 AM
If nothing else, I think he'd likely bolt to another team's practice squad. With the depth at WR he has incentive to sign with another team. Players have done that before (maybe Jumal Rolle and Rajion Neal).

I mentioned that in another thread, it is always a possibility with any player.

I'm sure Rolle was on GB's practice squad when the Texans signed him to their regular roster. I have a vague recollection that GB did something to try to keep him, which I think was just a practice squad salary increase, not a roster spot.

I don't remember anything about Rajion Neal's departure, other than that he bounced all around the league from practice squad to practice squad.

One player I recall who reportedly turned down GB and left for another practice squad was Hunter Hillenmeyer. It was said that the Bears promised him a spot on their active roster, but needed to make some other roster changes first. As I recall, he was on their PS only a few days.

pbmax
09-01-2016, 08:16 AM
Davis has measurables that will attract offers if he gets cut. Unlike a lot of workmanlike 4th or 5th round picks, he didn't get drafted on starts in college and tape. He got drafted on numbers. Someone else will want that kind of upside at receiver.

pbmax
09-01-2016, 08:17 AM
I *think* Rolle was rumored to be on the Packers PS, but his name never appeared on releases by the team. By the time the dust settled, he had moved to the Texans.

EDIT: Wrong again, he was PS and the Packers were at 52 players on the roster. But instead of promote him, Ted let him go to the Texans. Mulumba had been moved from the 53 to IR just prior.

http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2014/10/1/6877685/texans-sign-cb-jumal-rolle-away-from-packers-practice-squad

Patler
09-01-2016, 08:28 AM
I *think* Rolle was rumored to be on the Packers PS, but his name never appeared on releases by the team. By the time the dust settled, he had moved to the Texans.

EDIT: Wrong again, he was PS and the Packers were at 52 players on the roster. But instead of promote him, Ted let him go to the Texans. Mulumba had been moved from the 53 to IR just prior.

http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2014/10/1/6877685/texans-sign-cb-jumal-rolle-away-from-packers-practice-squad

Ya, Rolle was on the PS in GB for a month or so.

deake
09-01-2016, 09:45 AM
I think they have found a NFL qb in Callahan and include him in the 53. If they don't he's gone.

ThunderDan
09-01-2016, 10:05 AM
I think they have found a NFL qb in Callahan and include him in the 53. If they don't he's gone.

I disagree. What team is going to use a roster spot on a developmental QB? I could see teams offering him a PS position but an active roster spot seems like a stretch.

Harlan Huckleby
09-01-2016, 11:16 AM
I disagree. What team is going to use a roster spot on a developmental QB?

The Vikings perhaps. Callahan might even be #2 on their depth chart.

Based on what he's shown in preseason, Callahan is more ready to play than most rookies. Sure he belongs on a PS, but he may get protected on a roster, which has happened many times with rookie QB prospects.

Let's see how the Little Wonder does tonight, then we'll see where the chips fall on Sunday, Sunday, Sunday.

Well, maybe Saturday.

Harlan Huckleby
09-01-2016, 11:40 AM
BTW, I've come around to seeing that the Packers may not care much if Callahan goes to another team, even the Vikings. They are focused on a Super Bowl run this year, and they won't want to carry 3 QBs on roster.

Pugger
09-01-2016, 11:47 AM
The Vikings perhaps. Callahan might even be #2 on their depth chart.

Based on what he's shown in preseason, Callahan is more ready to play than most rookies. Sure he belongs on a PS, but he may get protected on a roster, which has happened many times with rookie QB prospects.

Let's see how the Little Wonder does tonight, then we'll see where the chips fall on Sunday, Sunday, Sunday.

Well, maybe Saturday.

Right now the last thing MN needs is a project QB. They need a veteran to backup Hill. Can you picture a D-3 QB like Callahan try to learn another offense a week before the regular season starts? We made that mistake back in 2013.

ThunderDan
09-01-2016, 12:05 PM
Right now the last thing MN needs is a project QB. They need a veteran to backup Hill. Can you picture a D-3 QB like Callahan try to learn another offense a week before the regular season starts? We made that mistake back in 2013.

Bingo, +1.

Patler
09-01-2016, 12:12 PM
Callahan will make a nice backup for Hundley when Hundley is the starter after Rodgers is traded a couple years from now.

Harlan Huckleby
09-01-2016, 12:50 PM

Forget the D3 crap. The Little Giant is as ready to go as Hundley was last year. Which is to say not very ready. Its not ideal, but plenty of teams have rolled the dice and lived with rookie backups. Callahan could fit #2 or #3 somewhere.

Harlan Huckleby
09-01-2016, 12:57 PM
Callahan will make a nice backup for Hundley when Hundley is the starter after Rodgers is traded a couple years from now.

Which is a strong argument for not exposing him to waivers.

You've joined me on the fence, you've got yourself covered both ways. Ya, ya, I know your official position by heart: you believe all undrafted QBs must be deported, but on the other hand there is room for some discretion and humanity. Plus the thing about keeping Callahan if and only if Hundley is gimpy. You are probably right.

But heed my warning! If the Packers keep Callahan, and they don't release him after Hundley recovers 100%, you will be forever disgraced.

Patler
09-01-2016, 01:06 PM
Ya, ya, I know your official position by heart: you believe all undrafted QBs must be deported, but on the other hand there is room for some discretion and humanity.

You have it absolutely wrong. Humanity has no place in determining pro sports rosters.

vince
09-02-2016, 07:06 AM
I didn't see Hawkins do anything on ST, but I'm sold on him making the 53 after last night. Price too. They need 5 D-linemen and he's no. 5 until Pennel makes it back.

Burks didn't help his cause but I think he's already shown enough.

I'd try to stash Callahan on the PS but I'm not sure what Ted & Mike will want to do with him.

pbmax
09-02-2016, 07:31 AM
I didn't see Hawkins do anything on ST, but I'm sold on him making the 53 after last night. Price too. They need 5 D-linemen and he's no. 5 until Pennel makes it back.

Burks didn't help his cause but I think he's already shown enough.

I'd try to stash Callahan on the PS but I'm not sure what Ted & Mike will want to do with him.

If Burks had another quick step or another gear, he would really be something. But he always gets caught up in the trash. I would almost prefer taking a risk on someone with more speed or shake from elsewhere.

Price is a must unless he simply can't compete against the 1's. Practice tape should show that. He is just big and strong.

Patler
09-02-2016, 10:19 AM
Not sure who they will waive/injured among the group on IR. Some may be waived, so that they can return later in the year.

Mitchell Henry was waived off IR yesterday.

Guiness
09-02-2016, 12:09 PM

shit disturber :duel::butt:
Now I'm back to not being sure whether or not you were doing the same in the Al Jazeera thread:-)

Joemailman
09-02-2016, 04:37 PM
QB (2) Rodgers, Hundley
RB (4) Lacy, Starks, Ripkowski, Burks
WR (7) Abbrederis, Adams, Cobb, Janis, Montgomery, Nelson, Allison
TE (3) Cook, Rodgers, Perillo
OL (9) Tretter, Lang, Sitton, Bakhtiari, Bulaga, Murphy, Spriggs, Barclay, Taylor
DL (5) Lowry, Clark, Daniels, Guion, Ringo,
LB (10) Barrington, Bradford, Elliott, Fackrell, Martinez, Jones, Matthews, Peppers, Perry, Thomas
DB (10) Gunter, Hawkins, Randall, Rollins, Shields, Hyde, Banjo, Brice, Burnett, Clinton-Dix
ST (3) Crosby, Schum, Lovato

PUP: Linsley
Suspended: Pennell
IR: Backman, Crockett, Flores, Walker, Davis, Dorleant
PS: Brown, Gilbert, Callahan, Ross, Evans, Price, Steuck, Daniel, Patrick, Kuder

The last pick came down to Allison, Callahan and Price. I figured Allison is the one most likely to be claimed on waivers. As for losing them once they're on the practice squad, Allison would be the one most likely to want to leave if claimed by another team.

MadScientist
09-02-2016, 05:40 PM
Prior to last year the Packers only kept 5 WR's, even when we thought 6 deserved to stick. Now people here are thinking they'll keep 7? They'll keep 6 and try to get Allison on the PS. His lack of doing much in the final game will help get him through, and if he doesn't, good luck to him. The spot will likely go to Callahan or the best ST guy that would otherwise be cut.

Joemailman
09-02-2016, 07:00 PM
Prior to last year the Packers only kept 5 WR's, even when we thought 6 deserved to stick. Now people here are thinking they'll keep 7? They'll keep 6 and try to get Allison on the PS. His lack of doing much in the final game will help get him through, and if he doesn't, good luck to him. The spot will likely go to Callahan or the best ST guy that would otherwise be cut.

TT has gone with some strange combinations before. 6 TE's one year. I'm not arguing for Allison over Callahan. Just playing a hunch.

ThunderDan
09-02-2016, 08:38 PM
TT has gone with some strange combinations before. 6 TE's one year. I'm not arguing for Allison over Callahan. Just playing a hunch.

Gunter is suspend for the first 4 games like Pennell.

Joemailman
09-02-2016, 08:58 PM
Gunter is suspend for the first 4 games like Pennell.

Actually, it's Goodson who is suspended.

HarveyWallbangers
09-02-2016, 11:24 PM
This is without benefit of seeing the fourth game (just hearing reports). Once again, the NFL Network will show the Packers final preseason game after the Packers have made their cuts.

FB Aaron Ripkowski
WR Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb, Davante Adams, Ty Montgomery, Jared Abbrederis, Jeff Janis, Trevor Davis
OL David Bakhtiari, Josh Sitton, J.C. Tretter, T.J. Lang, Jason Spriggs, Don Barclay, Kyle Murphy, Lucas Patrick
OLB Clay Matthews, Nick Perry, Julius Peppers, Datone Jones, Kyler Fackrell, Jayrone Elliott
CB Sam Shields, Damarious Randall, Quinten Rollins, LaDarius Gunter, Josh Hawkins
S Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, Morgan Burnett, Micah Hyde (CB), Kentrell Brice, Chris Banjo

IR: RB John Crockett, TE Kennard Backman, OL Josh Walker

PS: QB Joe Callahan, WR Geronimo Allison, DL Christian Ringo, DL Tyler Kuder, OLB Reggie Gilbert, ILB Carl Bradford, CB Robertson Daniel, CB Makinton Dorleant, S Marwin Evans (that's nine guys and there's usually a player or two that comes in from another team's roster)

I think I only had one change from my last projection: Lucas Patrick in for Lane Taylor.

I think Brandon Burks and Justin Perillo may be candidates to get replaced by somebody on another team's roster.

Robertson Daniel vs. Josh Hawkins was a tough one. I wouldn't be shocked if Hawkins and Daniel both beat out LaDarius Gunter.

Another tough one was Brian Price vs. Christian Ringo vs. Tyler Kuder. It sounds like all three had good games vs. the Chiefs. Apparently, it was Ringo's best game. However, without the benefit of seeing the game I have to go with the player (Price) who impressed me more in the first three games.

Leaving Carl Bradford off the team was tough, but most teams can't afford the luxury of having 5 ILBs. Another one that wouldn't shock me is Sam Barrington not making the team. Depending on the health of Joe Thomas, Bradford and Barrington both might make it.

If Trevor Davis is healthy, I think the Packers will keep 7 WRs. If Davis is put on IR, that may open up a spot for Daniel, Bradford, Ringo, or Kuder.

vince
09-03-2016, 12:33 AM
This is without benefit of seeing the fourth game (just hearing reports). Once again, the NFL Network will show the Packers final preseason game after the Packers have made their cuts.

FB Aaron Ripkowski
OL David Bakhtiari, Josh Sitton, J.C. Tretter, T.J. Lang, Jason Spriggs, Don Barclay, Kyle Murphy, Lucas Patrick
S Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, Morgan Burnett, Micah Hyde (CB), Kentrell Brice, Chris Banjo

PS: QB Joe Callahan, WR Geronimo Allison, DL Christian Ringo, DL Tyler Kuder, OLB Reggie Gilbert, ILB Carl Bradford, CB Robertson Daniel, CB Makinton Dorleant, S Marwin Evans (that's nine guys and there's usually a player or two that comes in from another team's roster)

I think I only had one change from my last projection: Lucas Patrick in for Lane Taylor.

I think Brandon Burks and Justin Perillo may be candidates to get replaced by somebody on another team's roster.

Robertson Daniel vs. Josh Hawkins was a tough one. I wouldn't be shocked if Hawkins and Daniel both beat out LaDarius Gunter.

Another tough one was Brian Price vs. Christian Ringo vs. Tyler Kuder. It sounds like all three had good games vs. the Chiefs. Apparently, it was Ringo's best game. However, without the benefit of seeing the game I have to go with the player (Price) who impressed me more in the first three games.

Leaving Carl Bradford off the team was tough, but most teams can't afford the luxury of having 5 ILBs. Another one that wouldn't shock me is Sam Barrington not making the team. Depending on the health of Joe Thomas, Bradford and Barrington both might make it.

If Trevor Davis is healthy, I think the Packers will keep 7 WRs. If Davis is put on IR, that may open up a spot for Daniel, Bradford, Ringo, or Kuder.
I think you're 62 out of 62 with the practice squad guys barring 1 or 2 making the 53 vs. another promising undrafted rookie who you have on the roster. And 1 or 2 of those guys might get snatched up by teams lacking depth in certain areas.

Banjo, Elliott, Davis, Thomas and/or Dorleant could get IR'd yet.

vince
09-03-2016, 07:33 AM
QB (2) Rodgers, Hundley
RB (4) Lacy, Starks, Ripkowski, Burks
WR (7) Abbrederis, Adams, Cobb, Janis, Montgomery, Nelson, Allison
TE (3) Cook, Rodgers, Perillo
OL (9) Tretter, Lang, Sitton, Bakhtiari, Bulaga, Murphy, Spriggs, Barclay, Taylor
DL (5) Lowry, Clark, Daniels, Guion, Ringo,
LB (10) Barrington, Bradford, Elliott, Fackrell, Martinez, Jones, Matthews, Peppers, Perry, Thomas
DB (10) Gunter, Hawkins, Randall, Rollins, Shields, Hyde, Banjo, Brice, Burnett, Clinton-Dix
ST (3) Crosby, Schum, Lovato

PUP: Linsley
Suspended: Pennell
IR: Backman, Crockett, Flores, Walker, Davis, Dorleant
PS: Brown, Gilbert, Callahan, Ross, Evans, Price, Steuck, Daniel, Patrick, Kuder

The last pick came down to Allison, Callahan and Price. I figured Allison is the one most likely to be claimed on waivers. As for losing them once they're on the practice squad, Allison would be the one most likely to want to leave if claimed by another team.
Good call on Ringo over Price Joe - unless they are gonna try to sneak by with 4 plus Peppers and Jones until Pennel returns... Gotta believe Price is a practice squad target too so he could be promoted if someone gets hurt if they do go that way. Four guys seems pretty thin particularly for the potentially extreme heat in Jax.

Pugger
09-03-2016, 07:39 AM

FB Aaron Ripkowski

You don't want to endure that preseason game. It was brutal.

Pugger
09-03-2016, 07:40 AM
Good call on Ringo over Price Joe - unless they are gonna try to sneak by with 4 plus Peppers and Jones until Pennel returns... Gotta believe Price is a practice squad target too so he could be promoted if someone gets hurt if they do go that way. Four guys seems pretty thin particularly for the potentially extreme heat in Jax.

Price was cut this morning.

Patler
09-03-2016, 07:51 AM
I am mostly in agreement with HH. I agree with Patrick over Adams, there's no reason to spend a couple million on Adams. He hasn't distinguished himself over Patrick. In trying to keep the best talent regardless of position, Murphy could be cut to make room for a better talent at WR or DB. They should be able to get Murphy to the PS.

Without any info on the extent of injuries to Davis and even Banjo, its difficult to predict a couple of the spots. I'm thinking they will stash Davis on IR and give him a year to work on size and strength. With the WRs ahead of him, he wouldn't be active on game days anyway, so they might as well stash him on IR if they can.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them go with just Lacy and Starks at RB. They have often had just Lacy and Starks active on game days anyway. They might rather lockup another WR or DB than a runningback who is nothing special anyway and can be held on the practice squad for potential signing if/when Lacy or Starks gets dinged up.

I won't be surprised if they look for a blocking TE after all the cuts get in. Perillo doesn't really add much to the roster.

vince
09-03-2016, 08:29 AM
Yeah I could see them keeping only 2 RB's too, especially given Burks' loose handling of the football yet. Pretty sure he fumbled twice in his limited preseason action. He'll need to clean that up if he makes the squad or he'll be out of a job quickly. I think he has good vision and cut-back ability but you can't play if you can't secure the ball. That's his flag right now.

And like you said Patler, Burks isn't going to be in high demand on the waiver wire. Heck Dexter McCluster is out there right now. He'd be a great get for a third down back unless he's damaged goods. I'm assuming he was a victim of the numbers and the new pound-it style of play being implemented in TN.

vince
09-03-2016, 08:44 AM
This is without benefit of seeing the fourth game (just hearing reports).
I'd be shocked and very disappointed if they keep Daniel over Gunter. Daniel has the measurables but he was semi-abused by the KC back-ups. Late into the 2nd quarter Daniel was about the only guy giving up yards. He must have been attacked successfully 5 times in the first half. He bounced back a bit but he can't cover or make a play on the ball like Gunter can.

Gunter can use his length, physicality and good technique cutting off deep routes while turning to look for the ball, using the sideline, etc. to overcome his lack of top-end speed. Al Harris made a pretty damn good career on the outside without much speed.

Bottom line IMO is Gunter's flags can be overcome. Other than running with guys, I don't see a great athlete or playmaking ability in Daniel. He just allows too much separation and gives up too many plays IMO.

pbmax
09-03-2016, 09:19 AM
Daniel was playing the dime corner and had those late crossing routes the Packers have huge trouble covering, as they run them through a double pick at midfield.

Gunter had some brutal plays in preseason and a couple of penalties. He might still be the octopus but his warts showed. I thought the young safeties played as well as the young, backup CBs.

Harlan Huckleby
09-03-2016, 09:23 AM
I am mostly in agreement with HH.

Always a wise course, but you must mean HW.

pbmax
09-03-2016, 09:25 AM
Price was cut this morning.

So was Patrick.

Harlan Huckleby
09-03-2016, 09:27 AM
Cutting Price surprises me slightly. TT must be fantasizing about another fat guy somewhere.

Fritz
09-03-2016, 12:34 PM
Daniel gone, Bradford gone. I wonder if Carl will end up back on the PS.