PDA

View Full Version : Packers next receiver? KOREN ROBINSON???

falco
09-04-2006, 06:29 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/watch/?watch=2

Green Bay - Even though he is facing a possible one-year suspension for violating the NFL's substance abuse program, the Green Bay Packers brought in wide receiver Koren Robinson for a visit late Sunday.

According to an NFL source, the Packers registered his visit with the NFL, which they are required to do so that all the other teams in the league are aware of it. The degree of interest the Packers have in Robinson is unknown, but because the former Seattle and Minnesota receiver has not been suspended yet he is free to talk to teams.

General manager Ted Thompson and personnel analyst John Schneider were both in Seattle when Robinson was scouted and eventually selected with the No. 9 pick in the 2001 draft. After Robinson was cut from the Seahawks and then the Vikings last year, the Packers made a push to get him signed.

He ended up re-signing with the Vikings and made the Pro Bowl last year as a kick returner.

The Packers have a need at both wide receiver and kick returner and might be interested in signing him now or in the future. However, they will have to consider his battles with alcohol, which landed him in the substance abuse program.

Robinson has had numerous alcohol-related problems and was suspended for four games in 2004 for violating the league's substance abuse policy. Seattle released him after the '04 season and after spending time in an alcohol treatment facility in North Carolina, the Vikings signed him.

He had a solid year for the Vikings and received a three-year, $12.7 million contract from the team in the off-season. However, on Aug. 15, he was caught driving 100 mph in a 55 mph zone on his way back to the team's training camp in Mankato, Minn.

Robinson refused to stop and was eventually arrested. His blood-alcohol content was measured by the police at 0.11 percent. The Vikings cut him Aug. 26.

Because his arrest might be a third violation of the league's policy, Robinson faces a one-year suspension. However, he will be able to appeal if the league chooses to do so and for the time being he is eligible to play.

MJZiggy
09-04-2006, 06:33 PM
That's what we need. Let's bring an alcoholic player to the state with the most bars per capita in the country.

Rastak
09-04-2006, 06:34 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/watch/?watch=2

Green Bay - Even though he is facing a possible one-year suspension for violating the NFL's substance abuse program, the Green Bay Packers brought in wide receiver Koren Robinson for a visit late Sunday.

According to an NFL source, the Packers registered his visit with the NFL, which they are required to do so that all the other teams in the league are aware of it. The degree of interest the Packers have in Robinson is unknown, but because the former Seattle and Minnesota receiver has not been suspended yet he is free to talk to teams.

General manager Ted Thompson and personnel analyst John Schneider were both in Seattle when Robinson was scouted and eventually selected with the No. 9 pick in the 2001 draft. After Robinson was cut from the Seahawks and then the Vikings last year, the Packers made a push to get him signed.

He ended up re-signing with the Vikings and made the Pro Bowl last year as a kick returner.

The Packers have a need at both wide receiver and kick returner and might be interested in signing him now or in the future. However, they will have to consider his battles with alcohol, which landed him in the substance abuse program.

Robinson has had numerous alcohol-related problems and was suspended for four games in 2004 for violating the league's substance abuse policy. Seattle released him after the '04 season and after spending time in an alcohol treatment facility in North Carolina, the Vikings signed him.

He had a solid year for the Vikings and received a three-year, $12.7 million contract from the team in the off-season. However, on Aug. 15, he was caught driving 100 mph in a 55 mph zone on his way back to the team's training camp in Mankato, Minn.

Robinson refused to stop and was eventually arrested. His blood-alcohol content was measured by the police at 0.11 percent. The Vikings cut him Aug. 26.

Because his arrest might be a third violation of the league's policy, Robinson faces a one-year suspension. However, he will be able to appeal if the league chooses to do so and for the time being he is eligible to play.

BWAHAHAHAHAHA

You gotta be kidding.....I rarely laugh at stuff on this forum but this dude is beyond reclamation. He had every reason to walk the straight line and failed.

red
09-04-2006, 06:35 PM
oh great

our big pickup is going to be a guy that isn't allowed to play this year and will probably be in prison for a nice chunk of the future

what the hell is TT thinking? instead of bringing in someone that might possibly help us he's wasting his time talking to this piece of trash who isn't even an option

i just don't get it

falco
09-04-2006, 06:35 PM
I'm actually okay with the move, if he's not going to be suspended for the year. Otherwise it really doesn't make any sense.

KR made some nice plays for MN last year; he would at least be a #3 for us, a lot better than Fergy.

GBRulz
09-04-2006, 06:36 PM
I guess if I had to wear a purple uniform and play in the metrodump, it might drive me to alcoholism, too :wink:

Rastak
09-04-2006, 06:44 PM
I guess if I had to wear a purple uniform and play in the metrodump, it might drive me to alcoholism, too :wink:

Extremely lame Michele.....this dude had extreme problems before and after.....

BananaMan
09-04-2006, 06:54 PM

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Actually, I have no problem with picking up Koren Robinson. We need a KR VERY BADLY, and he'd be a great 4th or 5th WR.

Of course, he wouldn't be much use if he's suspended.

RashanGary
09-04-2006, 06:55 PM
metrodump...LOL..

Rastak
09-04-2006, 06:58 PM

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Actually, I have no problem with picking up Koren Robinson. We need a KR VERY BADLY, and he'd be a great 4th or 5th WR.

Of course, he wouldn't be much use if he's suspended.

Bannaman, you are in Michigan, you would be safe....this arsehole did 120 MPH while drunk. Some non football fan family would probably die as the result in the GB area.

Look, it wouldn't surprise me if somebody signs him but he got his chance
and man did he "f" it up.

This is a dangerous dude.

Joemailman
09-04-2006, 06:58 PM
That's what we need. Let's bring an alcoholic player to the state with the most bars per capita in the country.

I was thinking the same thing. I wonder if they would have to stop running beer commercials during timeouts at Lambeau.

BallHawk
09-04-2006, 07:00 PM
Lay off the guy a bit, I know somebody that used to an alcoholic and it was hell within their body for them. They know they shouldn't drink, but they can't stop. I can only imagine what is for him. I hope that he recovers from his problem, and this time, put it away for good, if that is even possible.

In regards to what TT is doing, maybe it's a deal in principle. Knowing that Koren will probably be suspended for the rest of the season, maybe TT comes to him like this: I'll gurantee you a contract in Green Bay next season, if you get through your rehab and get your problem sorted out.

retailguy
09-04-2006, 07:02 PM
AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHAHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!! !!!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

I'm gonna stick my head in the oven.... Take care.... :mad:

GBRulz
09-04-2006, 07:03 PM
Awww Rastak, it was a freaken joke. yes, I know he started runing his career with alcoholism with Seattle. Maybe he didn't like the rain there? :wink:

I HATE the Vikings. So, I'm sorry that you come to a PACKER forum and read something against your team that you don't like. :roll:

jconnor99
09-04-2006, 07:04 PM
Other Packer forums are saying that Robinson may not be suspended untill next year. If that is true, it would bring much needed help to the return game and the 3rd reciever spot.

Rastak
09-04-2006, 07:05 PM
Lay off the guy a bit, I know somebody that used to an alcoholic and it was hell within their body for them. They know they shouldn't drink, but they can't stop. I can only imagine what is for him. I hope that he recovers from his problem, and this time, put it away for good, if that is even possible.

In regards to what TT is doing, maybe it's a deal in principle. Knowing that Koren will probably be suspended for the rest of the season, maybe TT comes to him like this: I'll gurantee you a contract in Green Bay next season, if you get through your rehab and get your problem sorted out.

Hey Ballhawk, nice post. This goes a bit beyond an alchohol problem though. Running from the cops at that speed is insane, but I'm guessing
not everyone cares if he might help the team....

Rastak
09-04-2006, 07:09 PM
Awww Rastak, it was a freaken joke. yes, I know he started runing his career with alcoholism with Seattle. Maybe he didn't like the rain there? :wink:

I HATE the Vikings. So, I'm sorry that you come to a PACKER forum and read something against your team that you don't like. :roll:

Yea, I think I get it......but it ain't all that funny....that's all. Why all he hate anyway....LOL.....

Joemailman
09-04-2006, 07:16 PM
I think the real question is whether the lifestyle of an NFL player is conducive to kicking alcoholism. You are away from your family for large periods of time, and you have a 4-5 month stretch during which you don't have to report to work.

GBRulz
09-04-2006, 07:18 PM
Yea, I think I get it......but it ain't all that funny....that's all. Why all he hate anyway....LOL.....

because the Bears haven't given us any competion over the past decade and the Queens have :wink:

Seriously though, it's the fans mostly. I know, I know...there are good and bad fans from all teams...but it just seems like the past few years, the vikings fans that come here are just downright rude and disrespectful. Three years ago one of them keyed the entire hatchback of my Nissan Xterra because it was yellow and had personalized Packer plates. I saw the idiots who did it, but they ran off.....with their purple jackets on. It's just an incident that affected me personally, so I have a little more of a grudge I guess !

rdanomly
09-04-2006, 07:20 PM
I think the real question is whether the lifestyle of an NFL player is conducive to kicking alcoholism. You are away from your family for large periods of time, and you have a 4-5 month stretch during which you don't have to report to work.

Hasn't Favre done well keeping his drinking in check? I don't know if he was ever considered an alcoholic though, not really apples to apples...

digitaldean
09-04-2006, 07:20 PM
I am dumbfounded why TT would bring him in.

Don't think it's a matter of IF Robinson will be imprisoned AND sentenced, it's a matter of when.

Although I sympathize with someone struggling with alcoholism, I don't want him here.

He should have spent time getting someone like Willie Ponder in.

BallHawk
09-04-2006, 07:21 PM
Rastak ain't like that, though, he's a good guy. The reason Rastak is so good is he hangs around us Packer fans, we have a positive influence on him. :mrgreen:

Rastak
09-04-2006, 07:21 PM

because the Bears haven't given us any competion over the past decade and the Queens have :wink:

Seriously though, it's the fans mostly. I know, I know...there are good and bad fans from all teams...but it just seems like the past few years, the vikings fans that come here are just downright rude and disrespectful. Three years ago one of them keyed the entire hatchback of my Nissan Xterra because it was yellow and had personalized Packer plates. I saw the idiots who did it, but they ran off.....with their purple jackets on. It's just an incident that affected me personally, so I have a little more of a grudge I guess !

Yea, that ain't cool.....although you will admit it was the Bears trolls that torched JSO last year, not Vikings fans. There were very few Vikings fans that were a total pain in the ass. Anyway, you can't judge a whole group by the actions of a few....

Rastak
09-04-2006, 07:22 PM
Rastak ain't like that, though, he's a good guy. The reason Rastak is so good is he hangs around us Packer fans, we have a positive influence on him. :mrgreen:

Not quite but thanks Ballhawk.....

GBRulz
09-04-2006, 07:24 PM
Ok, aside from my banter with Rastak here ...... :mrgreen:

No, I don't want this guy here. if he wants to help out our team, fine. But first, suspend his ass like the rules say. Get him the help that he needs and THEN bring him in for a workout.

I think players in professional sports should be held at the highest standard when it comes to drugs and alcohol. As we all know, they are not. Society basically says that if you can play ball, the rules will bend for you to a certain extent.

Ol Pete Rose should have just snorted away instead of placing a bet - then at least he would be in the HOF.

imscott72
09-04-2006, 07:25 PM
Is KRob someone we would consider "Packer" people?? :shock:

GBRulz
09-04-2006, 07:27 PM
Anyway, you can't judge a whole group by the actions of a few....

Oh, I totally agree Rastak. I know....but combined with the fact that the Vikes have been our main competition and not the Bears, it's easier to hate them :wink:

GBRulz
09-04-2006, 07:28 PM
Is KRob someone we would consider "Packer" people?? :shock:

LMAO. Oh how I would love to hear a reporter ask that question IF he came here.

MJZiggy
09-04-2006, 07:28 PM
Other Packer forums are saying that Robinson may not be suspended untill next year. If that is true, it would bring much needed help to the return game and the 3rd reciever spot.

Maybe not, but there's no guarantee about that and there's also no guarantee that he doesn't end up in jail before the end of the season either. I think that if Blackmon heals up as quickly as they say he is, we might be ok there, provided, of course, that he has as much talent as he flashed in May.

falco
09-04-2006, 07:31 PM
I wouldn't trust Rastak and a set of keys within 50 feet of my car...

ahaha
09-04-2006, 07:31 PM
This guy is a complete jack-ass. I have sympathy for alcoholics, but not those that take the cops on a high speed chase. What really baffles me is why bring this guy in for an interview and shun Charles Rodgers.

Packnut
09-04-2006, 07:32 PM
I take a totaly different view than most here do. I've noticed people here judge players more with their personal feelings than just the pure football side of it.

Do you people realize that we have the worst KR man in football? I know Blackmon is in the cards but that's to far off. We need help right now. I'd sign the devil himself if it will help the Green Bay Packers win.

TT should sign this guy right now. Put someone like EB with him 24 hrs a day if need be. You can't deny the talent this guy has and the ONLY damn thing thing matters right now is beating the Chicago Bears!

falco
09-04-2006, 07:32 PM
This guy is a complete jack-ass. I have sympathy for alcoholics, but not those that take the cops on a high speed chase. What really baffles me is why bring this guy in for an interview and shun Charles Rodgers.

KR showed more talent in a couple games last year than Charles Rodgers has in his whole career.

BallHawk
09-04-2006, 07:34 PM
Rastak, ignoring his problem with, alchohol, which is a big thing, how is he as a teammate and as a person?

Rastak
09-04-2006, 07:34 PM

Hey, let the record show when I drank those 15 beers that Saturday I met up with my fellow Packerrats I took a cab to the Irish festival and WALKED to Gabes......

Rastak
09-04-2006, 07:35 PM
Anyway, you can't judge a whole group by the actions of a few....

Oh, I totally agree Rastak. I know....but combined with the fact that the Vikes have been our main competition and not the Bears, it's easier to hate them :wink:

Understood.... :D

falco
09-04-2006, 07:36 PM

Hey, let the record show when I drank those 15 beers that Saturday I met up with my fellow Packerrats I took a cab to the Irish festival and WALKED to Gabes......

LOL, sorry Rastak, I was insinuating that you, like all evil vikings fans, would probably key my car. I guess I need to be more clear.

Rastak
09-04-2006, 07:38 PM
Rastak, ignoring his problem with, alchohol, which is a big thing, how is he as a teammate and as a person?

From what I've read and heard myself he's a great guy...everybody likes him. All his teammates were very supportive. You won't find a nicer guy...but damn, what he pulled is so outrageous....it was very disappointing to me as a Viking fan.

ahaha
09-04-2006, 07:39 PM

KR showed more talent in a couple games last year than Charles Rodgers has in his whole career.

True, but Rodgers has shown ability. He did alright his rookie year, and then had problems with injuries. And, he was the #2 overall pick. Plus, we really need receivers and he's there for the taking. My point wasn't that Rodgers was better than K-Rob, its that if you're going to interview an alcoholic, high-speed crazy driving, probably suspended kick-returner, why not talk to Charles Rodgers.

Rastak
09-04-2006, 07:39 PM

LOL, sorry Rastak, I was insinuating that you, like all evil vikings fans, would probably key my car. I guess I need to be more clear.

I've never keyed a car in my life.....we aren't all evil....LOL

the_idle_threat
09-04-2006, 07:48 PM
I take a totaly different view than most here do. I've noticed people here judge players more with their personal feelings than just the pure football side of it.

Do you people realize that we have the worst KR man in football? I know Blackmon is in the cards but that's to far off. We need help right now. I'd sign the devil himself if it will help the Green Bay Packers win.

TT should sign this guy right now. Put someone like EB with him 24 hrs a day if need be. You can't deny the talent this guy has and the ONLY damn thing thing matters right now is beating the Chicago Bears!

You know, I winced when I read this story at JSO, and I was gonna rip the whole idea, but you make an interesting point, Packnut. I don't like this guy ... I think he's an idiot. I think what he did was terrible and I don't buy the whole "blame the booze" angle. All that being said, if he can help the team win a few games, and if he's a team guy rather than a T.O. type distraction, then I say pick him up and put him deep on returns against the Bears. Maybe we get a few good games out of him before he goes to jail where he belongs.

Packnut
09-04-2006, 07:52 PM

You know, I winced when I read this story at JSO, and I was gonna rip the whole idea, but you make an interesting point, Packnut. I don't like this guy ... I think he's an idiot. I think what he did was terrible and I don't buy the whole "blame the booze" angle. All that being said, if he can help the team win a few games, and if he's a team guy rather than a T.O. type distraction, then I say pick him up and put him deep on returns against the Bears. Maybe we get a few good games out of him before he goes to jail where he belongs.

Anything's worth a shot at this point. Desperate times call for desperate measures!

Rastak
09-04-2006, 07:53 PM

Idle, he's a good guy, no question. What if he get's you a win then kills somebody?

Packnut
09-04-2006, 07:55 PM

Idle, he's a good guy, no question. What if he get's you a win then kills somebody?

Rastak- did you not see my precautionary idea of letting EB stay with him 24 hrs a day? That takes care of anyone being injured. Simple solution

Rastak
09-04-2006, 07:56 PM

Rastak- did you not see my precautionary idea of letting EB stay with him 24 hrs a day? That takes care of anyone being injured. Simple solution

A good plan on paper...LOL, he'd sneak out the back door......

falco
09-04-2006, 08:01 PM
Rastak, was KR supposed to be the vikes #1 this year?

Rastak
09-04-2006, 08:05 PM

The coaching staff didn't really say so but yes, he was. In the offense the Vikes run though they don't need a game breaking #1. They'll miss his kick returns though.....bad,,,,

falco
09-04-2006, 08:07 PM

The coaching staff didn't really say so but yes, he was. In the offense the Vikes run though they don't need a game breaking #1. They'll miss his kick returns though.....bad,,,,

Its an interesting decision, if he is able to play for the whole year. He certainly could be a difference maker for the team.

Rastak
09-04-2006, 08:13 PM

Its an interesting decision, if he is able to play for the whole year. He certainly could be a difference maker for the team.

I think he's headed to jail actually...and for sure a 1 year NFL ban....

HarveyWallbangers
09-04-2006, 08:19 PM
Just say no! I'd rather have Ponder as a kick returner or Calico as another wideout.

Rastak
09-04-2006, 08:20 PM
Just say no! I'd rather have Ponder as a kick returner or Calico as another wideout.

As always, wise sage advise from Harvey....

MJZiggy
09-04-2006, 08:20 PM
Did Ponder get picked up?

the_idle_threat
09-04-2006, 08:22 PM

That's a good question, Rastak.

Truth be told, I think if he wants to say he's THAT out of control to the bottle that it makes him go on drunken high-speed police chases, then he should be in jail right now, because he's a menace to society. But because it seems to be resolved that he'll be free to do what he wants until the end of the season, I'm tempted to dismiss your question and say he'll kill somebody anyway between now and then---so why not have him do something constructive in the meantime? But then it gets sticky in that it could be an issue of horrible PR and even legal liability for the team.

I don't know ... I'd think he'd have more incentive to keep himself outta the gutter if he was busy playing and practicing with a team, as opposed to sitting at home on his couch all day and going out with the guys every night for the next four months. Maybe playing ball makes it less likely he'll kill somebody? Although his experience with the 'queens tells us the possibility is not eliminated.

Tough question, when I consider it seriously. I suppose it's a risk not woth taking after all. But I say so not because he might kill somebody---I think if it happens, he'd have done it whether playing or not---but becuase the bad PR and potential legal liability if he kills somebody as a Packer aren't worth it. That, and if he kills somebody while a Packer, it'll be here in WI. I'd be worried about GBR and our other 'rats in the GB area if we signed him! Let him go back home ... wherever that is ... and be a menace there!

gbpackfan
09-04-2006, 08:25 PM
First of all, Koren Robinson is NOT going to jail! 99% of NFL players NEVER go to jail. I can't believe that you guys haven't learned that yet. Just watch, you'll see. And if he does go to jail (fat chance) he will work it out so that he does a couple of months during the offseason and we be back out in time to play in 2007. It's just the way it works. Is it fair? No, but life isn't.

The NFL may suspend him but they may have to wait awhile before doing so. He can also appeal the suspension and may be able to play during the appeal process. I am sure TT is investigating all angles. The NFL substance abuse policy is not as black and white as they would have you believe. It will be interesting to see how it works out.

Now, should we bring him in? YES! Are you guys crazy!!! Our KR guys SUCK ASS! We, most likely, have the worst kick returner in the league. We desperately need help at the position and KR would be a HUGE upgrade. If you want an entire team of choir boys, then I suggest you start routing for a pop warner team. This is the NFL and like it or not, a chunk of these guys are spoiled, arrogant bastards who believe they are above the law. JUST ABOUT EVERY TEAM IN THE NFL HAS A PLAYER ON ITS' ROSTER THAT HAS HAD LEGAL TROUBLES! I do not agree with KR's actions. Drunk driving and fleeing from the police is unacceptable! However, should it keep him unemployed for the rest of his life? NO. He will have to deal with his legal issues in court. I am satisfied with that. And yes, I do want to win. And KR can help us win. So, if he can help out this year, SIGN HIM!

Rastak
09-04-2006, 08:27 PM

That's a good question, Rastak.

Truth be told, I think if he wants to say he's THAT out of control to the bottle that it makes him go on drunken high-speed police chases, then he should be in jail right now, because he's a menace to society. But because it seems to be resolved that he'll be free to do what he wants until the end of the season, I'm tempted to dismiss your question and say he'll kill somebody anyway between now and then---so why not have him do something constructive in the meantime? But then it gets sticky in that it could be an issue of horrible PR and even legal liability for the team.

I don't know ... I'd think he'd have more incentive to keep himself outta the gutter if he was busy playing and practicing with a team, as opposed to sitting at home on his couch all day and going out with the guys every night for the next four months. Maybe playing ball makes it less likely he'll kill somebody? Although his experience with the 'queens tells us the possibility is not eliminated.

Tough question, when I consider it seriously. I suppose it's a risk not woth taking after all. But I say so not because he might kill somebody---I think if it happens, he'd have done it whether playing or not---but becuase the bad PR and potential legal liability if he kills somebody as a Packer aren't worth it. That, and if he kills somebody while a Packer, it'll be here in WI. I'd be worried about GBR and our other 'rats in the GB area if we signed him! Let him go back home ... wherever that is ... and be a menace there!

Great post Idle....I followed it and agree with pretty much everything you said......damn near word for word....

red
09-04-2006, 09:18 PM
well first, he was already on probation for drunk driving. and he broke it by driving while drunk, and leading cops on a high speed chase. if there is any justice in this world for pro atheletes, he will be in prison, just like any of us would be

second, he was in stage 3, i think, already for his drinking problem. he was busted for being drunk while driving. this should be an automatic 1 year suspension, starting ASAP. no questions asked, and no doubt about it

the_idle_threat
09-04-2006, 09:27 PM
I agree on both points, Red. And I do think he'll get some jail time. Jamal Lewis proved that NFL players are not immune.

MJZiggy
09-04-2006, 09:33 PM
I guess the question people are asking is, how long can he put off that jail time? AND, wasn't he on a suspended sentence for the last charge? If found guilty (like he has any hope of NOT being found guilty) that suspended sentence would be applied as well.

BallHawk
09-04-2006, 09:38 PM
Putting K-Rob in there, for a couple games, until he gets his suspension, wouldn't be a very good PR move. It's almost cheap.

Guiness
09-04-2006, 10:14 PM
Our KR guys SUCK ASS!

We HAVE a KR?

Terry
09-04-2006, 10:16 PM
What gbpackfan said! Absolutely!

oregonpackfan
09-04-2006, 10:21 PM
First and foremost, I hope KR can get his life in order by successfully staying sober on a long-term basis.

Everyone deserves a second chance. The unfortunate thing about KR, is that he alreeady has had several "Second chances" and blown them all. Perhaps the best thing for him is to focus on getting and staying sober. Another chance at playing football might have to be delayed until 2007.

Yes, the Packers could use another WR. It is my belief that it would be a mistake to take KR for right now.

OPF

ahaha
09-04-2006, 10:49 PM
I agree on both points, Red. And I do think he'll get some jail time. Jamal Lewis proved that NFL players are not immune.

Don't forget Rae Carruth...he's still there.

falco
09-04-2006, 11:07 PM
PACK CHASING K-ROB

Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that the Green Bay Packers have visited with free-agent receiver Koren Robinson, who was cut by the Vikings last month after being arrested on multiple charges, including felony fleeing from police.

It has been widely presumed that Robinson will be suspended by the NFL for a year in the wake of the August incident, which resulted in a finding that Robinson's blood alcohol content was in excess of the legal limit for driving a motor vehicle. Robinson is in Stage Three of the NFL's substance abuse program, and another violation will result in a minimum banishment of one year.

As we see it, the more pressing concern isn't whether Robinson will be suspended, but whether he will be incarcerated. He was on probation resulting from a 2005 DUI guilty plea, and he could be facing up to 364 days in jail in Washington.

But the Packers are desperate for help, and they currently are carrying only four receivers on the roster. Robinson also could return kicks for the Packers; he was named to the 2005 Pro Bowl based on his performance in that capacity with the Vikings.

In Green Bay, Robinson would be reunited with three men who were instrumental in his selection by the Seahawks as a top-ten pick in the 2001 draft -- Ted Thompson, John Dorsey, and John Schneider. The Packers made a run at Robinson in 2005 when the Vikings released him prior to the first game of the regular season (in order to avoid owing his full salary for the season), but he decided to return to Minnesota because the Vikings had given him an opportunity when everyone else had turned their backs on him.

The biggest question in our view is whether quarterback Brett Favre would welcome Robinson with open arms. Though Favre would surely be interested in seeing the team get better, Robinson's squandering of his ability seems to be the kind of thing that Favre wouldn't approve of.

Our guess? The Pack will likely make a run at Robinson after the first game of the season, in order to avoid owing him his full salary for the entire season, due to his status as a vested veteran.

the_idle_threat
09-04-2006, 11:16 PM

Don't forget Rae Carruth...he's still there.

True dat.

Kiwon
09-05-2006, 03:17 AM
TT did not put him through a work out. I would be very interested to know what exactly they did talked about.

FritzDontBlitz
09-05-2006, 04:59 AM
interesting that tt brought in koren instead of charles rogers. if you notice, tt stays away from players with a history of injuries. alcoholism is a totally different animal, let's hope koren can get the help he needs whether he resumes his nfl career or not....

Rastak
09-05-2006, 07:11 AM
First of all, Koren Robinson is NOT going to jail! 99% of NFL players NEVER go to jail. I can't believe that you guys haven't learned that yet.

Your theory is already blown to hell....he already WENT to jail. Most of his sentence was suspended and he was put on probation. He violated that probation which results in his having to serve that time, or about a year in the can. Will he find a way to weasel out of it? Maybe, big dollar lawyers can do wonders although they didn't keep him out of jail last time.

Sometimes the home town justice can get these players off, but he'll be facing a judge in Washington on this one.

mraynrand
09-05-2006, 08:01 AM
TT did not put him through a work out. I would be very interested to know what exactly they did talked about.

Maybe TT just wanted to score some jack before they locked KR up.

mraynrand
09-05-2006, 08:03 AM
The biggest question in our view is whether quarterback Brett Favre would welcome Robinson with open arms. Though Favre would surely be interested in seeing the team get better, Robinson's squandering of his ability seems to be the kind of thing that Favre wouldn't approve of.

So when did Favre become the moral compass of the Green Bay Packers? Maybe Favre is more concerned with How KR (who can't catch a pass sober), is going to catch the ball when he's stoned, drunk and wearing cuffs.

gbpackfan
09-05-2006, 08:06 AM
First of all, Koren Robinson is NOT going to jail! 99% of NFL players NEVER go to jail. I can't believe that you guys haven't learned that yet.

Your theory is already blown to hell....he already WENT to jail. Most of his sentence was suspended and he was put on probation. He violated that probation which results in his having to serve that time, or about a year in the can. Will he find a way to weasel out of it? Maybe, big dollar lawyers can do wonders although they didn't keep him out of jail last time.

Sometimes the home town justice can get these players off, but he'll be facing a judge in Washington on this one.

Wow, it was blown to hell! How exciting. Settle down man.

You left off the part where I said if he does go, it will be a couple months in the offseason. Alcoholism is a disease, he just needs help (wink wink). And I am sure he find a liberal judge who will sentence him to a nice treatment program. :mrgreen:

Rastak
09-05-2006, 08:19 AM

Wow, it was blown to hell! How exciting. Settle down man.

You left off the part where I said if he does go, it will be a couple months in the offseason. Alcoholism is a disease, he just needs help (wink wink). And I am sure he find a liberal judge who will sentence him to a nice treatment program. :mrgreen:

First you say he won't go to jail then admit he might.....sheesh...anyway, I think he will be doing some time and he's gonna get the one year suspension. I'm really surprised TT is even to talking to the guy at this point. Plus, Koren himself would be a dumb ass to throw himself back into the NFL lifestyle with the kind of problems he's got. I would think he'd try and fix his problems first then try and get a job with GB.

Scott Campbell
09-05-2006, 08:27 AM
Last week we scoured AA meetings for players. This week it's crack houses. No stone unturned.

WTF?

run pMc
09-05-2006, 08:29 AM
I Would rather GB signed Charles Rogers or Peter Warrick for KR/PR/WR. KoRo is talented, but he's had his 2nd chance and blown it. I'm not a big fan of signing players who are one screw-up away from a 1-year suspension.
Besides, I'm not sure he's "Packer people". :wink:

Scott Campbell
09-05-2006, 08:30 AM
I don't think we'll get him anyway. I hear the Bengals have offered him a huge bonus if he relapses.

run pMc
09-05-2006, 08:32 AM
Maybe I should take back my comment re: Charles Rogers...he's already had a 4 game suspension.

Rastak
09-05-2006, 08:34 AM
I don't think we'll get him anyway. I hear the Bengals have offered him a huge bonus if he relapses.

Yea, they are trying to figure out how to get both Charles Rogers and Koren Robinson on the roster as we speak I'm sure.....

Terry
09-05-2006, 09:46 AM

The implications of your question beg the next question - do you think he should remain unemployed the rest of his life? But to be fair, I imagine a period of time should pass to see how he's getting on. But the fact would remain that he may wish to seek employment in that time span.

This short and cold answer to your question is if he gets you a win and then kills somebody is that then you've won and he's killed someone.

However, a better and more comprehensive answer was supplied by Idle, which you acknowledged. My only quibble with Idle's answer was the bit about legal liability. Yes, the Packers would have a PR nightmare on their hands, but there's no reason why they would be legally liable for anything their employees did during their off hours. I'd be curious to know if there has ever been a legal precedent for a company being sued or indicted for something an employee had done in their free time. I'm a little doubtful.

I do think your later comment was a good one. I hadn't thought about the "NFL lifestyle". I don't know much about it, but if North Dallas Forty was any kind of accurate indication, you definitely have a point. One would hope that teammates would look out for him in such a context. I don't know if there is anything else to the lifestyle that would tend to lead him astray.

It is also possible, I think one could argue, that if he were successful as a Packer, the fan worship and other payoffs from public success might be the type of factor that contributes to such a problem as Koren has. I don't know. One would have to ask a psychologist or a social services person I suppose.

the_idle_threat
09-05-2006, 10:11 AM
I don't think the Packers should face legal liability if K-Rob were a Packer player and killed someone while driving drunk ... but depending upon the circumstances, the argument could be made.

Say K-Rob has a nip from the ol' flask, and boom---accident! Given his long history---some of it very recent and all of it a matter of public record---it may be argued that this was a known risk, and Green Bay was negligent in hiring this guy and bringing him into the community given the known risk that he's a drunk driver. After all, he would almost certainly not have been in Wisconsin had the Green Bay Packers not hired him.

Add the fact that he was driving home from a team social event or, alternatively, was leaving Lambeau late in the evening after a long film session (we know how dangerous the exit from the players' lot is) and there could be a winnable case.

Again, I don't think a case like this should be won, but do I think it can be won? Absolutely.

Rastak
09-05-2006, 10:16 AM
I don't think the Packers should face legal liability if K-Rob were a Packer player and killed someone while driving drunk ... but depending upon the circumstances, the argument could be made.

Say K-Rob has a nip from the ol' flask, and boom---accident! Given his long history---some of it very recent and all of it a matter of public record---it may be argued that this was a known risk, and Green Bay was negligent in hiring this guy and bringing him into the community given the known risk that he's a drunk driver. After all, he would almost certainly not have been in Wisconsin had the Green Bay Packers not hired him.

Add the fact that he was driving home from a team social event or, alternatively, was leaving Lambeau late in the evening after a long film session (we know how dangerous the exit from the players' lot is) and there could be a winnable case.

Again, I don't think a case like this should be won, but do I think it can be won? Absolutely.

I was really referring to the PR nightmare myself. I doubt they would face any legal liability but how would it be to have every newspaper in the country saying "Packer kills family while driving drunk". Lots of people get DUI's so just becasue a guy does that he shouldn't be disqualified...I worry about this guy because of the appauling lack of judgement. 120 miles an hour running from the cops? He a bomb waiting to go off.

Tony Oday
09-05-2006, 11:47 AM
Well Its not like Favre can go holier than thou he was a drunk and addicted to Vicodin. Shit happens they are human maybe it would be good for KRO to come here and hang out with guys like Favre that have been through it.

pbmax
09-05-2006, 11:59 AM
interesting that tt brought in koren instead of charles rogers. if you notice, tt stays away from players with a history of injuries. alcoholism is a totally different animal, let's hope koren can get the help he needs whether he resumes his nfl career or not....
Fritz, T2 signed Woodson, who is quite familiar with the injury risk.

I think KRob is all about affordability versus talent. And the fact that he can kick return.

mngolf19
09-05-2006, 01:31 PM
Just want opinions here but, most of you have stated that you think the (Vikings are a terrible franchise-the Packers are a model franchise) and yet the Vikings seem to be the ones trying to have a team of "good" people at least under Wilf. I couldn't argue too much with this in the past, but now if TT brings in Robininson.......

What makes that move ok? Even if you do need the WR/KR help?

Scott Campbell
09-05-2006, 01:39 PM
Just want opinions here but, most of you have stated that you think the (Vikings are a terrible franchise-the Packers are a model franchise) and yet the Vikings seem to be the ones trying to have a team of "good" people at least under Wilf. I couldn't argue too much with this in the past, but now if TT brings in Robininson.......

Well, he hasn't been signed here yet. So this is just a speculative what if at this point. I personally wouldn't support the move. I think every team has it's share of player issues - some a little more than others (cue Loveboat theme).

I think most people consider the Packers more of a model franchise than the Vikings for more objective reasons - the 3 Lombardi trophies for example.

Willard
09-05-2006, 02:32 PM
Man I just watched the 2005 video of the vikes on ESPN, and I can understand why Rastak is so disappointed with the Robinson debacle. That dude has big play ability, and I am very happy he won't be in purple this season! He would be a talented return specialist and #3 WR for the Packers this year, but his signing would definitely go against the whole "Packer People" movement.

On the other hand, the Pack stood by Favre during his recovery (of course he was a MVP QB!) and that worked out well. This situation is different though. This guy has to pay the piper for his drunk driving arrest. That is a very selfish and regrettable crime, and it is a blessing nobody was killed. I don't think TT is taking a look at him only because of his considerable talent. I think these guys who have met Robinson genuinely like him, and want him to succeed. It is a tough road though. The stats show that less than 20% of all addicts who seek treatment ever kick their addiction, and the average person in recovery relapses 8 times before they finally figure it out. This dude will need enormous support to make it back. I have mixed feelings on whether it is worth it, but in my own selfish way I am happy he is not on the vikes either!

MJZiggy
09-05-2006, 03:28 PM
You can't compare BF's situation with KR's though. The only common element is that of addiction, but Brett, having been in a serious wreck earlier either didn't drive drunk or never got caught at it, and when it became apparent that he was losing control with the vicodin, voluntarily went into rehab and never touched anything stronger than an Advil again. Robinson, when he got caught, went in to rehab and got caught again. I don't know how Favre managed to stay clean, but he managed it. Who knows whether Koren will be able to do the same. Was his last stint in rehab voluntary or did he go because the judge told him he had to? Maybe that's the difference. Did Holmgren stand by Favre because he admitted it on his own? Would he have dumped him (he wasn't HOF yet at that point) had he gotten caught driving or illegally using instead? Who knows? There's a ton of differences and factors you have to look at. Hey, maybe that's what they were talking about...

GrnBay007
09-05-2006, 04:15 PM

Because a move to the purity of Green Bay would most likely be very beneficial to a man in need......and you know, that's all we are concerned about....his health and well-being.

........oh yeah, and the fact we are coming off a 4-12 season and HATED it!! :shock:

:razz:

Scott Campbell
09-05-2006, 08:49 PM

From PFT:

The Vikings have signed former Bucs LB Marquis Cooper, whose background of shoplifting and reckless driving charges doesn't seem to fit with the whole "turd-free" approach in Minnesota.

Scott Campbell
09-05-2006, 08:52 PM
Randy Moss. Koren Robinson. And now this guy. The Vikings have had every lousy driver except Mr. Magoo.

http://www.antoniogenna.net/doppiaggio/anim/mrmagoo.jpg

mngolf19
09-06-2006, 12:33 PM

From PFT:

The Vikings have signed former Bucs LB Marquis Cooper, whose background of shoplifting and reckless driving charges doesn't seem to fit with the whole "turd-free" approach in Minnesota.

Scott, I didn't know that about Cooper. I don't know why they are bringing him in then either. You either go all the way with your housecleaning approach or don't do it at all.

ahaha
09-06-2006, 01:11 PM

From PFT:

Scott, I didn't know that about Cooper. I don't know why they are bringing him in then either. You either go all the way with your housecleaning approach or don't do it at all.

There is always middle ground on this issue. Every team says they want all fine upstanding citizens, but that's just for the press. Every team has players with questionable backgrounds. It all comes down to talent vs. how bad the crime really is.

Mactush
09-06-2006, 02:31 PM
Casting Stones?

Statistics will support the conclusion that alcoholism is prevalent in society. So much so, that many of the posters on this board are in such a group.

The real question is if KR really wants help? I think he does! He has been open to treatment in the past. In fact, he just went back for more help. This is a good sign.

His speeding back to the team's camp in Mankato was an effort to not let the team down and to remain eligible to play football. Sure, he screwed up by drinking, but that is something that can be fixed through therapy and treatment and support. His flight from the police was an effort to avoid being late and, again, possibly being stopped from playing football. His actions (aside from the night of drinking) support the conclusion he really wants to stay in this game.

Now I have read comparisons to convict Randy Moss. KR wants to play the game! RM leaves the field early before the end of the game.

I honestly believe KR can be salvaged as a man and a football player. He wants to beat this addiction. I think Brett's bout with a similar demon can provide a sort of guidance to KR.

I am all for throwing away Moss. However, I want to see KR succeed and Green Bay can help him to just that!

I will support KR in Prayer and offer him my hope that he wins this battle.

Patler
09-06-2006, 02:53 PM
Situations are never identical, but generally:

I have little tolerance for those who are caught for engaging in an activity that is illegal from the start, such as "recreational" drugs. They are wrong from the first time they participate.

I am much more tolerant of those who become hooked on things that are not illegal in and of themselves, such as addiction to prescription drugs (Favre), alcoholics (Robinson). They start with something totally legal, but lose control of themselves, and the activity.

I admire those in the second category who seek help either voluntarily or involuntarily, recognize their problem and regain control (Favre). I lose patience with those who receive help, but can't maintain control, especially after 3 or 4 times, or more. Robinson is beginning to fall into my category of no longer feeling sorry for him, because he has been given chances to straighten out, and hasn't done it.

On the other hand, he sure would solve the kick return and WR depth problems in Green bay, wouldn' he? :wink: :mrgreen: