PDA

View Full Version : Whither Callahan

Harlan Huckleby
09-01-2016, 08:30 PM
The guy sealed the deal tonight. He's somewhere in the NFL. He's too legit to quit.

Anti-Polar Bear
09-01-2016, 08:38 PM
I don't seem to recall seeing Callahan, a poor man's Johnny Football, do anything extraordinary against legitimate NFL defenders. He should be safe on the Pack's PS.

Joemailman
09-01-2016, 09:46 PM
Packers practice squad.

Pugger
09-01-2016, 10:45 PM
I don't seem to recall seeing Callahan, a poor man's Johnny Football, do anything extraordinary against legitimate NFL defenders. He should be safe on the Pack's PS.

Yes, he looked like an UDFA D-3 QB tonight.

Harlan Huckleby
09-01-2016, 11:09 PM
I thought C looked fine, the offensive sputters weren't on him. He has the skills to play in NFL, he's proven that. I'd say the legit knock against him is he is too small.Very few guys his size make it.

Patler
09-02-2016, 03:59 AM
Last night he looked good, while accomplishing very little. One "drive" of two 1st downs, another ended with a fumble, but otherwise he didn't string anything together. I have no idea if opportunities were there that he didn't see, but he didn't really get much done.

Harlan Huckleby
09-02-2016, 04:18 AM
Callahan got glowing reviews from last night

http://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2016/09/01/insider-thumbs-up-callahan-down-taylor/89719998/

http://wbay.com/2016/08/27/packers-callahan-continues-to-impress/

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/callahan-solid-again-as-packers-fall-to-chiefs-17-7-090216

Harlan Huckleby
09-02-2016, 04:26 AM
Last night he looked good, while accomplishing very little. One "drive" of two 1st downs, another ended with a fumble, but otherwise he didn't string anything together. I have no idea if opportunities were there that he didn't see, but he didn't really get much done.

You omit his nice touch pass for a TD. Plus two well placed long balls that went thru receivers hands. It's subjective, I thought he played well.

Patler
09-02-2016, 04:53 AM
You omit his nice touch pass for a TD. Plus two well placed long balls that went thru receivers hands. It's subjective, I thought he played well.

I said he looked good. I didn't discuss individual plays, so no, I didn't mention his nice touch pass to Cook, the just about perfect throw to Abbrederis, the barely overthrown pass to Montgomery, the poor pass behind Adams that probably should have been intercepted, etc.

All said and done, I think he looked good.
All said and done, I don't think he accomplished much last night.

RashanGary
09-02-2016, 12:48 PM
I'm with ya, hh. He looks real good. 3rd string Qbs are kind of rare now. We'll see. But I like him and want to see him in gb even if it took a roster spot. I'd rather have him than a guy like Trevor Davis or Whoever the garbage 3rd string half back is. This qb, imo, is legit.

Guiness
09-02-2016, 01:44 PM
Will they really go back to carrying only 2 QB's? I doubt it, it's proven to be a bad gamble the last few years. On paper, the #3 qb isn't valuable, but you need him pretty badly if your starter misses a game or two, which probably happens to half the teams in the league.

HarveyWallbangers
09-02-2016, 02:03 PM
Will they really go back to carrying only 2 QB's? I doubt it, it's proven to be a bad gamble the last few years. On paper, the #3 qb isn't valuable, but you need him pretty badly if your starter misses a game or two, which probably happens to half the teams in the league.

They'll have 3 QBs, but the third will likely be on the PS and not the active roster.

Patler
09-02-2016, 02:17 PM

If you can get your 3rd QB on the practice squad, the impact is no different than having him on the 53 man roster. If the first two are healthy, the 3rd QB is never active on game days anyway, so he won't be available during the game you lose your starter. By the next week, you can sign him from the practice squad.

I believe there were only a handful of teams who carried 3 QBs on their opening roster. Most had their third on the practice squad.

hoosier
09-02-2016, 02:36 PM
The guy sealed the deal tonight. He's somewhere in the NFL. He's too legit to quit.

That's the problem with watching the Packers and only the Packers: one ends up believing that the latest guy to do something positive in the preseason is an up and coming star. The reality is that most of them will quietly go away after Saturday and never be heard from again. Geronimo Allison and Whither Callahan are two who fit that bill, at least for this year.

Carolina_Packer
09-02-2016, 04:03 PM
I don't know who thinks he'll be a star, but if he ever starts a regular season NFL game, that will be something coming from a guy who played in the anonymity of DIII football.

Can you imagine the Vikings picking him up once the Packers sign him to the PS?

HarveyWallbangers
09-02-2016, 04:11 PM
I don't know who thinks he'll be a star, but if he ever starts a regular season NFL game, that will be something coming from a guy who played in the anonymity of DIII football.

Can you imagine the Vikings picking him up once the Packers sign him to the PS?

But does he have more upside than Stave or Heinicke though? Most teams already have their starter and a veteran backup. Some carry a third on their active roster (usually a draft pick). Others carry a young guy on the PS. Not a lot of spots open.

wist43
09-02-2016, 05:49 PM
He looked like a player in college, and he's looked like a player since he's been in camp.

He should have been drafted, and if he's released he won't make it to our PS.

Patler
09-02-2016, 06:07 PM
... and if he's released he won't make it to our PS.

Do you think a team would claim him to be their #2, or just that they would be willing to use a roster spot for him as a #3?

pbmax
09-02-2016, 09:06 PM
He looked like a player in college, and he's looked like a player since he's been in camp.

He should have been drafted, and if he's released he won't make it to our PS.

Aaron Murray looked like a player, got drafted in the 5th round and was released yesterday. You need something more than looks and a draft pick to protect a 3rd QB.

Zool
09-02-2016, 09:30 PM
But does he have more upside than Stave....

How could he not? I probably have more upside than Big Game Joel

HarveyWallbangers
09-02-2016, 09:37 PM
How could he not? I probably have more upside than Big Game Joel

Stave looks the part, being an athletic 6'5". Somebody will want to work with that. The Vikings announcers made it sound like Stave has been pretty solid.

Zool
09-02-2016, 09:40 PM
Stave looks the part, being an athletic 6'5". Somebody will want to work with that. The Vikings announcers made it sound like Stave has been pretty solid.

He must have made some big strides in the last few months. I have 4 years of mediocrity burned into my brain.

Patler
09-03-2016, 07:00 AM
McGinn isn't overly impressed:

Under center: Assuming Brett Hundley could make it through the Jacksonville game on his bum ankle, Callahan isn’t worthy of taking a roster berth from a seventh receiver or an additional offensive lineman.

The Packers can’t permit the minimal expectations associated with an NCAA Division III quarterback to affect their judgment of Callahan. Yes, he was much better than expected, but it’s hard to imagine entrusting a regular-season game to him.

He made some remarkable throws on the run and displayed almost a sixth sense for avoiding trouble. He’s also short (6-1), slow (4.98), inaccurate and holds the ball too long.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2016/09/02/mcginn-middle-packers-defense-unproven/89767576/

Harlan Huckleby
09-03-2016, 09:17 AM
McGinn isn't overly impressed:

So you're saying he's a lock.

The mystery Of Whither Callahan runs deep. I can see him not even making a practice squad. A roster spot is also possible, although the Packers are an unlikely home for any #3.

ps. When did Stave become "athletic"?

pbmax
09-03-2016, 09:22 AM
Nothing is athletic about Stave, I don't care what his measurables are. For evidence, I give you his 0% completion rate on throws he made while on the move in his 7 year college career.

Fritz
09-03-2016, 12:35 PM
The tension surrounding the possible #3 QB mounts, which is a good sign if you're a Packer fan.

vince
09-03-2016, 12:45 PM
Silverstein just posted on the JSO live blog that Callahan has made the team.

Happy for the kid. They don't need 3 on the 53 but he did earn it.

Congrats Harlan and JH (and others I'm sure but those are two I remember) for making that call.

Fritz
09-03-2016, 12:47 PM
They must really like him if they didn't try to sneak him onto the PS. I wonder if you could tell him you were going to cut him, but also tell him that you'd pay him above the minimum if he'd sign up on your PS.

Harlan Huckleby
09-03-2016, 12:54 PM
Congrats Harlan and JH (and others I'm sure but those are two I remember) for making that call.

I don't quite have bragging rights as I thought the Little Giant would wind up on another team's roster. Patler is still in the running for chest thumping privileges; it may be that Hundley is gimpy next week. Then again, it could be a short-lived triumph for Patler if Callahan sticks for the whole season.

It's even too soon to declare Joe Mailman a big loser. Callahan may yet find his way to the practice squad, providing Mailman with some face saving.

vince
09-03-2016, 12:58 PM
I'd say they were concerned about someone claiming him.

He probably does allow the Packers to showcase Hundley next year and officially shop him. He'll be in the third year of a four year rookie deal. He has all the tools and still cheap...

Assuming good health, he could be a hot commodity about this time next year if they play their cards right.

Harlan Huckleby
09-03-2016, 01:09 PM
I'd say they were concerned about someone claiming him.

Coincidently, Captain Obvious just tweeted the same. I'm surprised that they cared about losing him. But I guess you have to think about the value of a backup QB; Callahan could be the next Shaun Hill. Or maybe it is just all about getting through the Jacksonville game.

RashanGary
09-03-2016, 11:28 PM
He always looked like he had command of the moment and he was pressing the defense. I liked him a lot.

Just going off the little we've seen, I like him more than any backup I've seen behind Rodgers. I never loved hundley. I just remember him not seeming to have the command or the attacking demeanor. Flynn Attacked the defense, but had a noodle arm. This guy has the arm too.

I just have a feeling he's good.

HarveyWallbangers
09-03-2016, 11:48 PM
I don't see it. I see this guy perhaps developing as a solid backup once we trade Hundley. If he developers sooner rather than later, it gives the Packers the flexibility to trade Hundley earlier (when he'd likely have more value). I like Hundley a lot more than this guy. I see Hundley as a guy who could start for several teams in the NFL already, and he could potentially develop into a good starter in the NFL.

Pugger
09-04-2016, 12:15 AM
With Lovato gone and Goode back in for a checkup our roster may not be set quite yet. Callahan could still be cut.

Harlan Huckleby
09-04-2016, 05:15 AM
Callahan could still be cut.
Hope springs eternal.:smile:

You should be required to wear a "UDFA D3 Callahan" jersey until he loses his roster spot.

smuggler
09-04-2016, 07:44 AM
Callahan is going to be cut the minute Hundley is 100%. He can definitely make it onto the practice squad though.

Teamcheez1
09-04-2016, 07:56 AM
Callahan is going to be cut the minute Hundley is 100%. He can definitely make it onto the practice squad though.

If not Hundley, someone else. This is simply a way to stash him while other teams finalize their roster.

Pugger
09-04-2016, 08:19 AM
Hope springs eternal.:smile:

You should be required to wear a "UDFA D3 Callahan" jersey until he loses his roster spot.

I have nothing against the kid. I just feel we have needs elsewhere for his spot on the 53. He probably wil end up on the PS where we can continue to develop him.

pbmax
09-04-2016, 08:27 AM
I don't see Hundley and Callahan at same level. Like Hundley much more. I hope its insurance.

Harlan Huckleby
09-04-2016, 08:30 AM
I just feel we have needs elsewhere for his spot on the 53.

I didn't think he belonged on the Packer 53 either. But he looked good enough to have a future, probably as a backup.

HarveyWallbangers
09-04-2016, 10:49 AM
I didn't think he belonged on the Packer 53 either. But he looked good enough to have a future, probably as a backup.

I agree with this. I just felt there was a good chance to stash him on PS. I trust that Packers management got the vibe that he'd be claimed, so I was wrong there--unless they plan on cutting him after Goode signs. Even then, I'm probably still wrong. They still felt the need to play some roster hijacks to make it more likely to get him on the PS. I just felt like losing him wouldn't be like losing Kurt Warner back in the day. I don't see potential solid NFL starter from him. I do see that potential in Hundley. It will be interesting. Give JH credit though for going out on a limb. If Callahan turns into a better player than Hundley, he has serious bragging rights in the future.
:)

Fritz
09-04-2016, 11:00 AM
I'm guessing he'll be cut once the dust settles and they'll pay him five times what I make in a year to be on the PS.

RashanGary
09-04-2016, 11:16 AM
If Callahan turns into a better player than Hundley, he has serious bragging rights in the future.
:)

I hope I'm right, just because I'm a packer fan. But I'm just gonna say what I see and sometimes I'll be wrong just like we all are.

I'm trying to live life like I'm not afraid to fail. But I will fail. So when it comes, oh well. Hopefully I can open my mind and my intuition by allowing myself to be free of fear in a way that lets me just be right a lot because I'm locked into that thing that's smarter than the mind; God, or whatever it is.

Fritz
09-04-2016, 12:05 PM
Jonathan Livingston Harrell.

Pass me that joint, dude.

Harlan Huckleby
09-10-2016, 01:16 PM
Watching the Penn State-Pitt game, got to wondering where Christian Hackenberg wound up. He is fourth on the QB depth chart for the Jets. They kept 4. Three plus one. Four! So keeping three can't be so insane.

http://www.newyorkjets.com/team/depth-chart.html

Harlan Huckleby
09-10-2016, 01:35 PM
BTW, Callahan won the "Mr. Irrelevant Award" on McGinn's annual ranking of the Packer roster.
http://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2016/09/08/mcginn-ranking-packers-roster-1-53/90044874/

Seems about right.

Harlan Huckleby
12-22-2016, 01:05 PM
I didn't see any celebration or mention even that Lil Joe is back to where he once belonged.

Patler
12-22-2016, 02:05 PM
I didn't see any celebration or mention even that Lil Joe is back to where he once belonged.

Another youngster coming home when he can't keep a job.

Fritz
12-22-2016, 02:10 PM
Let's hope we don't see him in a real game in a Packer uniform anytime soon.

Harlan Huckleby
12-22-2016, 02:23 PM
Another youngster coming home when he can't keep a job.

He did look ashamed of himself standing on the sideline.

Patler
12-22-2016, 02:44 PM
He did look ashamed of himself standing on the sideline.

Well, we will have to work on his self-esteem and confidence; after all being released by Cleveland doesn't speak well for his future. Then again, has Cleveland made any good decisions recently?

gbgary
12-22-2016, 05:50 PM
Well, we will have to work on his self-esteem and confidence; after all being released by Cleveland doesn't speak well for his future. Then again, has Cleveland made any good decisions recently?

nowadays that means professional therapy...on YOUR dime. smh

Fritz
12-23-2016, 10:11 AM
If Cleveland released him it means he's probably actually good.

Harlan Huckleby
09-03-2017, 01:04 PM
the journey continues

Harlan Huckleby
10-25-2017, 04:14 PM
Fuck Hundley, that guy sucks.

We want the Little Giant!

Liddle Joe! Liddle Joe! Liddle Joe!

mraynrand
10-25-2017, 04:18 PM
If Cleveland released him it means he's probably actually good.

QFT

Fritz
10-27-2017, 04:17 PM
But wouldn't you rather have CK backing up Hundley than Callahan? What is with MM's stubborness, or is he just covering for the NFL's blackballing of CK? Of is he afraid if they sign CK and Hundley has another lousy game, the clamoring for change will begin?

beveaux1
10-27-2017, 04:31 PM
But wouldn't you rather have CK backing up Hundley than Callahan? What is with MM's stubborness, or is he just covering for the NFL's blackballing of CK? Of is he afraid if they sign CK and Hundley has another lousy game, the clamoring for change will begin?

The minute he filed the lawsuit against the NFL, he, in effect, announced his retirement from football. No way any team will sign him now...or ever.

Harlan Huckleby
10-27-2017, 04:46 PM
But wouldn't you rather have CK backing up Hundley than Callahan?

Go fuck yourself.

pbmax
10-27-2017, 05:28 PM
Don't worry about it, Bob McNair is working hard to make sure they have to settle CK's lawsuit.

woodbuck27
10-28-2017, 08:42 PM
#2 behind Rodgers = Fail.

#3 behind Rodgers = Disaster or the MM and Camp is out to lunch.

Harlan Huckleby
12-21-2017, 01:42 PM
League Sources: Callahan Starting for Packers Against Vikings (http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?30183-Callahan-Starting)

This is quite the exciting development for Little Joe fans!

In other news (to me), Callahan has a big ole Letterman gap in his front teeth
http://prod.static.packers.clubs.nfl.com//assets/images/headshots/2017/Callahan_Joe-hs-season-2017.jpg

George Cumby
12-21-2017, 02:07 PM
League Sources: Callahan Starting for Packers Against Vikings (http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?30183-Callahan-Starting)

This is quite the exciting development for Little Joe fans!

In other news (to me), Callahan has a big ole Letterman gap in his front teeth
http://prod.static.packers.clubs.nfl.com//assets/images/headshots/2017/Callahan_Joe-hs-season-2017.jpg

Lol. Well played fukker.