PDA

View Full Version : Packers and the 3-4

BananaMan
09-04-2006, 07:32 PM
I think they'll throw this in against the Bears. McCarthy has slightly hinted at this before. It's not something they'd do in the preseason though.

The definitely have the personel to run this, and run it well. I think that if they end up doing this, they should go with this lineup:

MLB Barnett MLB Hodge
OLB Poppinga OLB Hawk
DE Jenkins DT Pickett DE Kampman

Thoughts?

gbgary
09-04-2006, 07:38 PM
that's interesting but i'd sure have liked to see them run it for a few games and just not spring it on someone. it might back-fire on them for lack of experience with it.

]{ilr]3
09-04-2006, 08:00 PM
It would be interesting, exciting and scary all at the same time to see them come out in week 1 doing this. They have been in Don Hutson Center a lot here lately doing something they dont want the Bears to see! :shock:

Lurker64
09-04-2006, 08:02 PM
Doesn't the 3-4 usually require a huge run eating DT to eat up as many blocks as possible? Do we have someone who could fill that role? Nothing I saw in the preseason from Pickett or Allen (probably the two best candidates for that spot) gave me great confidence in their ability to be 3-4 DTs.

]{ilr]3
09-04-2006, 08:10 PM
Doesn't the 3-4 usually require a huge run eating DT to eat up as many blocks as possible? Do we have someone who could fill that role? Nothing I saw in the preseason from Pickett or Allen (probably the two best candidates for that spot) gave me great confidence in their ability to be 3-4 DTs.

I thought it was more dependant on lighter quicker DT's and the 4-3 was more with 2 middle run stuffers and 2 lighter ends.

SD GB fan
09-04-2006, 08:27 PM
jamal williams small and light? cant imagine that. id surprised if packers do something like that against the bears. interesting tho

gbpackfan
09-04-2006, 08:30 PM
I think some of you guys need to get over the idea of us going to 3-4 sets. There were no TC reports stating that they were practicing this formation and I have never seen them run it in a game. MAYBE, they bring in 4 LBs for one play or drop a DE back into coverage but that isn't a true 3-4 defense. We are a 4-3 defense, just accept it already.

billy_oliver880
09-04-2006, 08:35 PM
This has been a topic that has been beaten to death...If we are going to do it then do it. Lets see if it works...if it doesn't then dump the idea.

Lurker64
09-04-2006, 08:36 PM
{ilr]3]I thought it was more dependant on lighter quicker DT's and the 4-3 was more with 2 middle run stuffers and 2 lighter ends.

I don't think so.

From: Some Raiders site (http://www.geocities.com/epark/raiders/football-101-3-4-defense.html)

* 3-4 NT is the toughest position to fill. The NT is head-up on the OC and is responsible for defending both A gaps in the running game. He faces constant double-teams and takes a pounding. He must be big, tough, durable, nasty, have stamina, and possess lateral quickness. If the NT can not hold his ground, the defense is very vulnerable to runs between the tackles. The prototypical 3-4 NT is the Raiders' Ted Washington, who is a massive 6-5 365. Washington was the key to the Patriots win over the Panthers in the 2004 Super Bowl. Stephen Davis ran for a meager 19 yards on his first 9 carries, because Washington effectively stuffed the middle of the line. Other quality NTs include the Steelers' Casey Hampton (6-1 320) and the Chargers' Jamal Williams (6-2 348)

red
09-04-2006, 09:26 PM
i think we're better suited personal wise for the 3-4

our de's just aren't that great, and our LB's look to be solid and very deep

that being said, i also don't expect to see it anytime soon

]{ilr]3
09-04-2006, 09:30 PM
I think some of you guys need to get over the idea of us going to 3-4 sets. There were no TC reports stating that they were practicing this formation and I have never seen them run it in a game. MAYBE, they bring in 4 LBs for one play or drop a DE back into coverage but that isn't a true 3-4 defense. We are a 4-3 defense, just accept it already.

More and more teams are going to a hybrid 4-3/3-4 Defense where they try and shake things up to confuse QB's. I believe this is something the Vikings started doing last year.

I have not heard nor read anything that GB would be doing this either, but its just interesting discussion since we have a great set of LB's to work with.

NewsBruin
09-05-2006, 02:21 AM
No, the 3-4 requires big linemen and linebackers. From what I remember of his measurements, Hodge would be a decent 3-4, but Hawk would be smallish, and Nick Barnett would be completely undersized in such a defense.

Any 3-4 linebacker has to be able to rush the passer, and even full-sized 3-4 guys don't hold up over the course of a season. It' s not just about where you have the most personnel, it's about the type of personnel you have.

Packers4Glory
09-05-2006, 05:37 AM
I mentioned this before. they have 4 possibly excellent LB's, and the 3-4 still kinda confuses most teams because they aren't used to seeing it.

I think the goal should be to get your best 11 guys on the field as much as possible...and it should would seem that Hodge fits into that best group. W/ talk about who will be the DT next to Pickett, that tells me right there all I need to know.

Kampan, Pickett,KGB

Hawk,Barnett,Hodge, Pop.

I'd be estatic to see all 4 on the field at once.

RashanGary
09-05-2006, 07:00 AM
I could see it happening. Instead of Hodge, insert KGB and I'd imagine it works quite well.

BobDobbs
09-05-2006, 11:27 AM
I would like to see some interesting blitz packages now that we have some backers that can bring it. I have to agree that you should play to the strength of your players. I remember reading that Fritz Shurmur sometimes used a 2-5 front seven with the Rams. However, we won't see a 3-4 because that is not the defense we have been building for the last two years.
For the 3-4 to work it is crucial to have a big run stuffer like Grady Jackson, Ted Washinton etc...
Also the other DEs have to be big, because with a three man line you have to be able to stack up the line of scrimmage against the run. So Goodbye KGB and Jason Hunter.
AND between Poppinga, Hawk, and Hodge we're looking at what, one NFL start. The strength of the 3-4 is the complexity of blitzes and coverages you can throw at the other team. They are still getting their basic assignments down, and Hodge will only see playing time via injury until he gets his pass coverage worked out.
I'm not bashing the LB corps they'll continue to get better this year and the next, but we'd get destroyed if we went to a base 3-4.

pbmax
09-05-2006, 02:37 PM
NT may be the toughest position to fill, but the Packers are also missing two other components, namely monster DEs.

With only three down lineman, you need big sturdy run stuffers at DE too. Kampman is Kearny sized and he struggled at this position.

KGB could only be at LB in this D.

McGinest is often cited as a hybrid that works, but remember he was the fourth D lineman for passing downs. His position in the base D was LB.

Partial
09-05-2006, 03:31 PM

Lurker 64 you have to be my favorite poster. I don't know why, I just always saw you lurking and wondered when you were going to post. I agree with you, they certainly don't have the right personel to run the 3-4.

Perhaps on first down as well as second and short they could do something like Allen, Pickett, and Cole across the front 3. These guys are probably a good enough combination to stop the run.

On passing downs, I would put Hunter and KGB at the outside LB spots, and Jenkins and Kampman on the ends with Pickett in the middle. Who knows, though.

Overall though, I don't foresee it working with their current roster. They would need some serious turnover to make it happen and work successfully. Not to say thats not something TT wouldn't do, though.

GoPackGo
09-05-2006, 05:45 PM
I think the ravens run the hybrid 4-3/3-4 with LB Terrell Suggs who will line up as a DE then drop to a outside linebacker before the snap and vise versa

Dune
09-05-2006, 05:53 PM
What will we do with all our defensive tackles ? That is the deepest position on the team. Pickett,Cole, Allen, Williams We are a least 2 deep at both tackle positions and could rotate and keep fresh players in the game with no drop off. Cullen jenkins would backup end and be a pass rushing tackle.

I just think GB does not have the right personel for the 3-4

Huge run stuffing tackle ?

at least 2 Big linebackers 255 - 260

At ends Kampman is very average and jenkins will not look as quick at end KGB is to small for a 3-4 every down end. No pash rush from the normal defense.

Our linebackers do not seem to be very effectivr blitzing either

Joemailman
09-05-2006, 06:07 PM
Barnett would be useless in a 3-4. Barnett needs 2 DT's up front to engulf the interior O-Linemen so that they can't get to him. The ILB's in a 3-4 need to be able to fight off blocks, and Barnett can't do that.

BananaMan
09-05-2006, 06:31 PM
Well, by no means am I saying we should switch to a BASE 3-4 defense, I just think it'd be something that would work pretty well if we just threw it in there unexpectedly for a few plays.

I agree, we don't have IDEAL players for the 3-4, but if we kept the 4-3 as our base and put the 3-4 in there as a surprise, I think it'd work well.

Scott Campbell
09-05-2006, 07:07 PM
Doesn't the 3-4 usually require a huge run eating DT to eat up as many blocks as possible? Do we have someone who could fill that role?

BRING BACK GILBERT BROWN!