PDA

View Full Version : Win of My Win, Loss of My Loss

Anti-Polar Bear
09-05-2016, 01:03 PM
This is how I see the NFC playing out. The AFC is such as stodgy conference that it is extremely stony to give a fuck about it.

North
Packers 15-1: Pack fans, time to book your hotel room, buy your tickets and get your Purple Drank ready, cos, Houston, here comes the Pack!

Vikings 8-8: Johnny Football would look good in purple. Fortunately for the Packers, Bears and Lions, Zimmers dislikes QBs who like rap music.

Bears 7-9: Tis' Cutler's last stand.

Lions 4-12: A lost season. Lions head coach in 2017: J-Mac. "We're just trying to win the motherfucking game!" Classic.

West
49ers 11-5: Kap returns to form and ignites a revolution, and he continues to sit/knee gallantly each time the anthem - a song that lyrically entices "American" imperialism, capitalism and racism - plays.

Cardinals: 10-6: Ain't got nothin' to say 'bout this team, so allow me to quote Coldplay: Lying in the gutter, aiming for the moon/Trying to empty out the ocean with a spoon...

Rams 6-10: Goff struggles so much, he starts reading Mein Kampf.

Seahawks 3-13: Shakespeare said it best: War? I hate the word as I hate hell and all Seagulls.”

East
Giants 12-4: Giants offense becomes the greatest show on earth since NWA.

Redcoats 7-9: "You like that?!?!" sounds awfully a lot like something taken right out of a John Holmes flick. I am not sure what's more offensive, "Redskins" or Ottawa "Redblacks".

Cowboys 6-10: Cowboys start season 0-10. Injury-prone Romo returns in week 11 and Cowboys win next 6.

Eagles 2-14: Eagles tanks the season to draft LSU hotshot RB Leonard Fournette #1 overall. Problem is, they've traded away their 2017 1st rounder in the Wentz deal. Oh well, perhaps the Vikes will finish 1-15.

South:
Panthers 11-5: Newton is even more arrogant that Aaron Rodgers. Hey Cam, learn to win with grace in your heart and flowers in your hair. Ditto, Claymaker.

Falcons 10-6: Ryan is, without a doubt, the coolest QB in the NFL.

Saints 7-9: Brees throws for an NFL record 7,000-plus passing yards; Saints lack defense.

Bucs 3-13: Bucs should move to Orlando and change their name to the Orlando Breakers.

Playoffs
Wildcard:
49ers over Falcons
Panthers over Cardinals

Divisional:
Packers over Panthers
49ers over Giants

NFC Title:
Packers over 49ers

Super Bowl:
Packers over Patriots

Pugger
09-05-2016, 01:12 PM
No, no, no!!! Hadn't you heard? We lost our starting LG so now we're screwed and will be fighting the Lions for the NFCN basement.

/sarcasm off

scharpcheddar
09-05-2016, 01:28 PM
No, no, no!!! Hadn't you heard? We lost our starting LG so now we're screwed and will be fighting the Lions for the NFCN basement.

/sarcasm off

Doesn't help either.
If every little bit help.
Every little bit hurts too

Anti-Polar Bear
09-05-2016, 02:02 PM

/sarcasm off

I still remember the time when Thompson led Wahle and Rivera to the guillotine and had them beheaded, figuratively of course. 4-12 was the consequence. Sure, Fisher started at RB and Chatman at WR. I think Taco Wallace played a bunch that season, as did fans favorite Sam Gado. But...OG was far and wide and up and down the weakest link on offense.

I ain't too happy with Sitton's release, but I think the Pack will be fine this time around. The beanstalking Spriggs will be the starting LG before season ends. Mark my words.

wist43
09-05-2016, 02:49 PM
I still remember the time when Thompson led Wahle and Rivera to the guillotine and had them beheaded, figuratively of course. 4-12 was the consequence. Sure, Fisher started at RB and Chatman at WR. I think Taco Wallace played a bunch that season, as did fans favorite Sam Gado. But...OG was far and wide and up and down the weakest link on offense.

I ain't too happy with Sitton's release, but I think the Pack will be fine this time around. The beanstalking Spriggs will be the starting LG before season ends. Mark my words.

Yes, but by seasons end - will Rodgers still be in one piece??

Ted and Mike have always liked to futz around with the OL... they'd rather have an average-to below average player who can play multiple positions, as opposed to a true G or T that could step up and play at a higher level but would be limited to either G or T. As a result, if one player goes down the entire line gets shuffled and it takes too much time to gel (IMO). Rodgers ends up running for his life most of the time, and we habitually put up 40 yds rushing as a team.

Add to that the fact that they don't like OL who can run block for the sake of run blocking. They prefer dancing bears who do little more than get in the way, and then hope the RB can pick a hole.

ProFootballWeekly ranked the Packer line at 16th in the league - and I thought that was a generous ranking. Booting Sitton certainly won't help anything.

Losing Sitton moves us from a middle of the pack OL, to a bottom third team. Hopefully Rodgers doesn't get KO'd early in the season while the OL is trying to learn on the fly.

smuggler
09-05-2016, 03:01 PM
No way in hell are the 49ers winning 11 games. Going .500 would be a success for them in that division. Same with the Giants winning 12. Their top is 10.

scharpcheddar
09-05-2016, 03:29 PM
Cardinals / Giants / Saints /
Seahawks / Cowboys / Falcons /
Rams / Redskins / Panthers /
Niners / Eagles / Bucs /

Vikings
packers
Bears
Lions

Anti-Polar Bear
09-06-2016, 11:24 AM
No way in hell are the 49ers winning 11 games. Going .500 would be a success for them in that division. Same with the Giants winning 12. Their top is 10.

Trust me, there's going to be a team (or two) that will rise above its peonical caste and surprise us with an overachieving season. Happens every season.

Anti-Polar Bear
09-06-2016, 11:55 AM
Yes, but by seasons end - will Rodgers still be in one piece??

Ted and Mike have always liked to futz around with the OL... they'd rather have an average-to below average player who can play multiple positions, as opposed to a true G or T that could step up and play at a higher level but would be limited to either G or T. As a result, if one player goes down the entire line gets shuffled and it takes too much time to gel (IMO). Rodgers ends up running for his life most of the time, and we habitually put up 40 yds rushing as a team.

Add to that the fact that they don't like OL who can run block for the sake of run blocking. They prefer dancing bears who do little more than get in the way, and then hope the RB can pick a hole.

ProFootballWeekly ranked the Packer line at 16th in the league - and I thought that was a generous ranking. Booting Sitton certainly won't help anything.

Losing Sitton moves us from a middle of the pack OL, to a bottom third team. Hopefully Rodgers doesn't get KO'd early in the season while the OL is trying to learn on the fly.

Thompson appears to subscribe to the theory that guards are expendable. Beheading Wahle and Rivera is an example. No, the Packers were never in a cap hell. Yes, Thompson could've easily retained both Wahle and Rivera simply by cooking the cap a bit, as I proved via logic - numbers and figures - in my past arguments with Patler.

Klemm and Whitticker debunked the theory that guards are expendable.

Carolina_Packer
09-06-2016, 12:03 PM
Time warp...:beat:

pbmax
09-06-2016, 12:52 PM
Thompson appears to subscribe to the theory that guards are expendable. Beheading Wahle and Rivera is an example. No, the Packers were never in a cap hell. Yes, Thompson could've easily retained both Wahle and Rivera simply by cooking the cap a bit, as I proved via logic - numbers and figures - in my past arguments with Patler.

Klemm and Whitticker debunked the theory that guards are expendable.

Funny what time does to memory.

Do you mean Partial? :lol:

http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?931-Manuel-Collins-The-right-fit&p=18772&viewfull=1#post18772

Pugger
09-06-2016, 01:10 PM
Trust me, there's going to be a team (or two) that will rise above its peonical caste and surprise us with an overachieving season. Happens every season.

Maybe so but I think the team on the other side of the Bay will make the playoffs before the 49ers do.

Patler
09-06-2016, 01:30 PM

Mike Sherman lead them to the guillotine, and the blade was falling when TT got there. TT was powerless to stop it.

Lest you forget, after releasing Wahle, not signing Rivera and releasing Ruegamer (and later re-signing him to a cheaper contract) they still were not under the salary cap until Sharper was released after refusing to renegotiate his salary cap hit for the coming year. TT had few to no options other than letting both guards leave considering the market each had that year.

Patler
09-06-2016, 01:42 PM

As I recall, you (I think it was you, maybe someone else?) suggested a number of contract restuctures in a discussion with me, and I went through most and explained why it couldn't be done, including an article from JSO or somewhere that explained that the CBA prohibited another restructure of Favre's contract because it had been restructured shortly before and couldn't be again for another year or something. Others you suggested were in final years or had bonuses that would automatically accelerate into the current year under the CBA at the time. The Packers were hamstrung in all their large contracts except for Sharper, and he refused to restructure. When he refused, the Packers only hope was if Wahle or Rivera agreed to a very team friendly contract. There were said to have focused on Rivera as the one who might, but then Dallas blew them out of the water with a big contract and a big guarantee.

texaspackerbacker
09-06-2016, 08:14 PM
Doesn't that scenario in the original post result in Fournette becoming the new Adrian Peterson in Minnesota?

You got the Giants and the Niners way up there? No Way. (I understand you are a purveyor of sarcasm, but seriously?)

The Panthers are still right there with the Packers; The Seahawks are still gonna win the West with the Cardinals second. The Cowboys would seem to have everything but a QB, but I see them as better with Prescott than they would have been with Romo. They should win the East easily.

pbmax
09-06-2016, 08:21 PM
Tex, you cannot bring me the joy of "purveyor of sarcasm" on the very night of the Rats Fantasy Football draft.

Because that SHOULD have been my team name.

texaspackerbacker
09-06-2016, 08:25 PM
Tex, you cannot bring me the joy of "purveyor of sarcasm" on the very night of the Rats Fantasy Football draft.

Because that SHOULD have been my team name.

Tonight's the big night huh? I used to have over 100 fantasy teams a few years ago, but I kinda got burnt out on it. I meant Tank/APB you know.

KYPack
09-06-2016, 10:17 PM

Patler explained all this to you over and over, but you are too crazy and/or lame to understand it.

Taco Wallace was on the roster for one game and caught exactly ZERO passes.

You'd think after all these years you would learn the game or grow up or something.

pbmax
09-06-2016, 10:22 PM
Tonight's the big night huh? I used to have over 100 fantasy teams a few years ago, but I kinda got burnt out on it. I meant Tank/APB you know.

Yep, I got it. I jus hope I remember it for next year. :lol:

Anti-Polar Bear
09-07-2016, 12:38 PM
Funny what time does to memory.

Do you mean Partial? :lol:

http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?931-Manuel-Collins-The-right-fit&p=18772&viewfull=1#post18772

The Wahle-Rivera-Thompson arguments between Patler and I started long before this site existed at the old JSO forums.

Basically, Patler argued that it was impossible to resign both Wahle and Rivera b/c Pack were in the dreaded cap hell, thanks to Sherman. I provided the math showing that, by cooking the cap a bit, both Wahle and Rivera could've and should've been retained. My math was assured to be flawless by our resident math expert, Nutz. :)

Anti-Polar Bear
09-07-2016, 01:01 PM
As I recall, you (I think it was you, maybe someone else?) suggested a number of contract restuctures in a discussion with me, and I went through most and explained why it couldn't be done, including an article from JSO or somewhere that explained that the CBA prohibited another restructure of Favre's contract because it had been restructured shortly before and couldn't be again for another year or something. Others you suggested were in final years or had bonuses that would automatically accelerate into the current year under the CBA at the time. The Packers were hamstrung in all their large contracts except for Sharper, and he refused to restructure. When he refused, the Packers only hope was if Wahle or Rivera agreed to a very team friendly contract. There were said to have focused on Rivera as the one who might, but then Dallas blew them out of the water with a big contract and a big guarantee.

Actually, Sharper had been restructuring his contract in prior years and he was open to restructuring it again. Thompson asked Sharper to take a paycut. There's a big difference between restructuring a deal and taking a paycut.

In summary, Thompson didn't need to cut Sharper. He could've retained both Wahle and Rivera. All by cooking the cap. Yeah, cooking the cap sometimes leads to the dreaded cap hell in the near future, as the 49ers and Cowboys of the late 90's found out. But had Thompson cooked the cap back then, he would've been bailed out by the Networks. As Thompson eventually found out what any competent GM knew all along: New deal with Networks = Mammoth cap inflation.

Anti-Polar Bear
09-07-2016, 01:14 PM
Doesn't that scenario in the original post result in Fournette becoming the new Adrian Peterson in Minnesota?

You got the Giants and the Niners way up there? No Way. (I understand you are a purveyor of sarcasm, but seriously?)

The Panthers are still right there with the Packers; The Seahawks are still gonna win the West with the Cardinals second. The Cowboys would seem to have everything but a QB, but I see them as better with Prescott than they would have been with Romo. They should win the East easily.

Eagles 1st rounder next year now belongs to the Browns (Wentz trade). Eagles need to Vikes to finish dead last to draft #1 overall,naturally (no Hollywood trade ups), since they now own the Vikes' 2017 1st rounder (Bradford trade). I think Sonny Weaver Jr is the Eagles GM cos Weaver pulled out something like this in "Draft Day."

Prescott better than Romo at this point in their careers? Pass me what you're smoking. lol

Patler
09-07-2016, 01:16 PM
The Wahle-Rivera-Thompson arguments between Patler and I started long before this site existed at the old JSO forums.

Really? Man, I can't keep track of which site was when anymore!

Maxie the Taxi
09-07-2016, 01:35 PM
Really? Man, I can't keep track of which site was when anymore!I got news for you. It only gets worse as you get older. Take my word for it.:???:

Patler
09-07-2016, 01:37 PM
In summary, Thompson didn't need to cut Sharper. He could've retained both Wahle and Rivera. All by cooking the cap. Yeah, cooking the cap sometimes leads to the dreaded cap hell in the near future, as the 49ers and Cowboys of the late 90's found out. But had Thompson cooked the cap back then, he would've been bailed out by the Networks. As Thompson eventually found out what any competent GM knew all along: New deal with Networks = Mammoth cap inflation.

Disagree completely. One can only "cook the cap" with contracts available to revise having useful cap implications, and players/agents willing to go along with it. I proved why your plan was completely wrong 11 years ago, contract by contract for the players you suggested revising.

Fantasize about Mike Sherman the GM as much as you want to, it doesn't change the facts that he had run the roster and cap aground with ill-advised contracts and numerous trades of multiple draft picks to move up to draft a player who amounted to nothing.

Patler
09-07-2016, 01:38 PM
I got news for you. It only gets worse as you get older. Take my word for it.:???:

Ya, I am well aware of that "getting older" issue!

Anti-Polar Bear
09-07-2016, 01:38 PM
You'd think after all these years you would learn the game or grow up or something.

S'up Kentucky...Growing up is for adults with kids.

Until I find a woman, preferably a woman of African ancestry, who would accept my seed and give me an offspring/future shutdown corner, no I need not grow up. I do not, however, wish to grow old alone like Ted.

Harlan Huckleby
09-07-2016, 01:56 PM
I do not, however, wish to grow old alone like Ted.:-) You can't resist.

Anti-Polar Bear
09-10-2016, 10:54 AM
Bears 7-9: Tis' Cutler's last stand.

Haha - McGinn quoted me in his recent article about the NFC North.

"Another scout called it 'Cutler’s Last Stand.'"

http://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2016/09/09/vikings-sink-swim-bradford/90122526/

For those of you wondering, yes, I am a scout, albeit a freelance scout. I once told Eliot Wolf to tell Thompson to draft the Claymaker. Thompson should've heeded my 2009 "Mastery Mockery of a Draft" and draft Brian Cushing along with the Claymaker.

Btw, I hold a Master's in Mock Draft from the Mel Kiper, Jr. School of College Football Scouting and Hair Design at the prestigious ESPNU.

texaspackerbacker
09-10-2016, 11:23 AM
Prescott better than Romo at this point in their careers? Pass me what you're smoking. lol

I've liked mobile QBs going way back to Tarkenton. If Prescott has the accuracy he showed in the preseason, yeah, I see him as better than Romo - who in addition to being injury prone and a lot less mobile than a few years ago, seems to have lost some arm strength.

Anti-Polar Bear
09-10-2016, 11:59 AM
I've liked mobile QBs going way back to Tarkenton. If Prescott has the accuracy he showed in the preseason, yeah, I see him as better than Romo - who in addition to being injury prone and a lot less mobile than a few years ago, seems to have lost some arm strength.

I dunno 'bout you or Partial, but I like my corners dark and my QBs pale. That's the way it should be, according Barry Alvarez.

Did you know that I was a shutdown corner in high school, and I shut down Darren Charles in a game?

Sent a CD of me shutting down Charles to Alvarez. He never responded back. But I eventually caught up with Alvarez at an Italian joint in Madison while I was there for a Hippie-fest. I asked Alvarez if he got the CD. Alvarez, being the conservative football coach he is, said, "I gotta be honest with you: I was excited when I got the package and the name of the return address reads 'Tank Elf Duke, Shutdown Corner.' Alotta of black studs are named Tank. But when I popped in the CD, all I saw was a short, white, corner shutting down Darren Charles. D-1 ain't no place for short corners, son."

"I'm 5-9," I replied. "Jamar Fletcher was 5-8."

Said Alverez, "Ah, correction - pardon my bluntness - D-1 ain't no place for short, WHITE, corners. Go play D-3. If you prove you're dope there, I'll let you walk-on as a saftey."

And I was like, "Screw ya, Alverez. Imma shutdown corner like my hero Deion "Prime Time" Sanders. Like Deion, I don't like to tackle, so why the fuck would I want to play saftey?"

lol - purveyor of sarcasm.