PDA

View Full Version : where are the re-signings?

red
09-06-2016, 02:58 PM
i just thought about it. we keep talking in the sitton thread that the money we saved by cutting him will go to signing the younger guys

but why haven't we re signed anyone up to this point?

i know TT likes to drag his feet some when spending, but most teams and players like to get these deals done in the preseason so they don't become a distraction

we're not hearing about anything, even though we had 9 million or so before we cut sitton

are we gonna wait till the very last minute? (when the seasons over), or are we gonna distract the guys during the season with contract talks?

free agents

lang, nick perry, cook, datone, bahk, hyde, lacy, tretter, barclay and goode, oh and peppers

goode will be re signed for the minimum if kept, no biggie there. peppers will probably retire, hyde they will probably let walk. barclay they should let walk, but he will probably be entrenched as our starting LT.

that leaves 7 guys who will probably get paid by us.

where are the deals?

HarveyWallbangers
09-06-2016, 06:51 PM
$9m isn't a lot because you have to sign players throughout the year. Ted usually keeps about $5m to play around with. I expect you'll see at least one signing during the year with Sitton gone. The Pack has done it all ways: before the season, during the season, and even at the start of free agency. The money is now there. Either signing a player now or letting the money rollover into next year.

red
09-11-2016, 11:41 AM
So they told sitton they wouldn't re sign him until they signed up all the other guys

Then why aren't they doing Anything?

pbmax
09-11-2016, 11:51 AM
So they told sitton they wouldn't re sign him until they signed up all the other guys

How much advance warning did we get when Daniels signed last year?

Joemailman
09-11-2016, 11:52 AM

Stop yer bitchin'.

Carolina_Packer
09-11-2016, 04:19 PM
It's only been a week since Sitton was waived. Plus, had they held onto Sitton and chose to let him walk into free agency and the Packers get the comp pick (my preference, but oh well) then it's possible they still would not have signed anyone to this point, even with Sitton still on the roster.

red
09-11-2016, 04:30 PM
you do this stuff in the offseason NOT during the season

you now are gonna have 6 or 7 guys distracted by contract negotiations instead of playing the game

we couldn't even get one guy signed up in the offseason?

red
09-11-2016, 04:33 PM
It's only been a week since Sitton was waived. Plus, had they held onto Sitton and chose to let him walk into free agency and the Packers get the comp pick (my preference, but oh well) then it's possible they still would not have signed anyone to this point, even with Sitton still on the roster.

it sounds like the team decided a week before they cut sitton that they would either trade or cut him, so they've known he wasn't in the plans for 2 weeks now

but that isn't the point, why couldn't they get other guys signed? what are we waiting for? their values and asking prices to go up?

what would be cheaper, signing bahk now or after another solid year?

signing tretter not, or after he makes the pro bowl as a center?

signing lang before or after you cut his BFF?

my guess is that TT is too busy this time of year scouting possible UDFAs for next season

Guiness
09-11-2016, 06:55 PM

Ah, they said it, did they?
http://i.imgur.com/u2H9cCE.gif

Carolina_Packer
09-12-2016, 02:19 PM
GM's tend to lose their leverage with other GM's when they are nearing the end of TC and they are offering someone as good as Sitton. Who wants to pay his cap number if I can negotiate with his agent once you cut him? Now, if I covet Sitton's services and don't want to chance him going somewhere else, then I look at my cap health and other expiring deals and decide whether I can splurge and take his cap hit in trade. Most GM's are probably going to say not thanks, I'll just stand by and see if you release him and then negotiate my own deal.

As for the guys they haven't signed yet, we don't know the status of their negotiations with the club. As someone else indicated, sometimes they get locked up earlier in the season and sometimes later. Aaron's 2nd contact was in October 2008. Mike Daniels signed his extension in December of 2015. Cobb and Bulaga went all the way up to free agency. Just because the club may have told Sitton that other younger guys are a priority over him doesn't mean they had a time-table in mind.

pbmax
09-12-2016, 02:23 PM
So any news on this today?

red
09-12-2016, 05:45 PM
fuck no

gbgary
09-13-2016, 08:40 AM
bak reportedly resigning for 4yrs and $51m

pbmax
09-13-2016, 08:42 AM
So any news on this today?

So much for this promising on going joke!

pbmax
09-13-2016, 08:43 AM
Ian Rapoport @RapSheet
#Packers agreed to terms with LT David Bakhtiari on a 4-year extension worth up to $51.67M. New money avgs is $12M per year. Top 5 for OLs

I guess Spriggs will get to spend some time at RT.

red
09-13-2016, 09:50 AM
Bout time we started doing something

Patler
09-13-2016, 09:58 AM
you do this stuff in the offseason NOT during the season

you now are gonna have 6 or 7 guys distracted by contract negotiations instead of playing the game

we couldn't even get one guy signed up in the offseason?

Realistically, who would you have signed in the off season? Bakhtiari coming off ankle surgery? Sitton trying to get a balky back under control? Lang coming off shoulder surgery? Lacy who nearly ate himself off the team in 2015? Tretter who didn't yet have a position? Datone Jones who had yet to show any consistent production?

I think there were a lot of reasons to see how these guys got through camp before doing long term deals with any of them.

Carolina_Packer
09-13-2016, 11:17 AM
Ian Rapoport @RapSheet
#Packers agreed to terms with LT David Bakhtiari on a 4-year extension worth up to $51.67M. New money avgs is $12M per year. Top 5 for OLs

I guess Spriggs will get to spend some time at RT.

Assuming (and hoping) that they don't need Spriggs this season, once Lang's future is decided with the club going into next year's free agency, and also assuming that the club is sold on the readiness of Spriggs at that time, do you think it's possible that they move Bulaga to RG and put Spriggs at RT? That would be a way of getting value out of Spriggs, and not overpaying to keep Lang. There are many clubs not named the Packers who seem to value veteran talent more, meaning, the Packers probably won't fight to keep Lang if they can replace him with existing/developing talent.

Pugger
09-13-2016, 11:20 AM
Realistically, who would you have signed in the off season? Bakhtiari coming off ankle surgery? Sitton trying to get a balky back under control? Lang coming off shoulder surgery? Lacy who nearly ate himself off the team in 2015? Tretter who didn't yet have a position? Datone Jones who had yet to show any consistent production?

I think there were a lot of reasons to see how these guys got through camp before doing long term deals with any of them.

Red just got Patlerized. ;-)

hoosier
09-13-2016, 11:22 AM

Adams. Get him to reup now while he's cheap! :-)

red
09-13-2016, 01:38 PM
Red just got Patlerized. ;-)

nothing new really

red
09-13-2016, 01:39 PM

i think perry and hyde have done enough leading up to this year to warrant new deals already

unless we're waiting to see if they'll go from decent to superstars so we can pay then more

red
09-13-2016, 01:40 PM
Adams. Get him to reup now while he's cheap! :-)

by low sell high

Patler
09-13-2016, 02:51 PM
i think perry and hyde have done enough leading up to this year to warrant new deals already

unless we're waiting to see if they'll go from decent to superstars so we can pay then more

They did resign Perry, for one year at $5 million.
Probably a good approach for both based on his first 4 years.

Joemailman
09-13-2016, 05:40 PM
i just thought about it. we keep talking in the sitton thread that the money we saved by cutting him will go to signing the younger guys

but why haven't we re signed anyone up to this point?

where are the deals?

http://a4.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2016%2F0104%2Fr41506_1296x729_16-9.jpg

Fritz
09-13-2016, 06:08 PM

Don't you want to see if Perry can get through the season intact before you load him up with cash?

I've been a Perry fan from day one, though my faith has admittedly wavered, and I think at one point early last year I called for him to be cut immediately. Typical fan.

But still, I have liked the guy and been rooting for him. I am very glad to see him doing well, and my hope is that he stays healthy and proves all the naysayers wrong by playing like a great first round pick who stays healthy.

run pMc
09-13-2016, 07:05 PM
Don't you want to see if Perry can get through the season intact before you load him up with cash?

Yes. Datone too. One of those guys will be kept, unless they both stink like hot garbage. I don't think they'll be able to afford keeping both.
I admit I'm surprised at Datone -- he's playing better than I expected.

Teamcheez1
09-13-2016, 08:21 PM
Since this is probably Julius Pepper's farewell tour (and last year of his contract), that will free up another $10.5M. You may very well be able to keep Datone and Perry if TT wants to keep both.