PDA

View Full Version : World Cup Of Hockey

Joemailman
09-07-2016, 07:17 PM
https://www.wch2016.com/

What is it, you might be wondering. It's an 8 team international hockey tournament featuring national teams from Canada, The United States, The Czech Republic, Finland, Russia, Sweden, as well as Team North America, a team of young players from USA and Canada, and Team Europe, an all-star team of European players from countries other than the four European countries involved.

The eight teams will be divided into two Groups of four, and each will compete in three tournament games within their assigned Group in a round-robin format. The top two finishers in Group A and Group B will advance to a single-game Semifinal, where the first-place team from each Group will face an elimination game against the second-place team from the other Group. Winners of the Semifinal games will advance to a best-of-three Final series.

Pre-tournament games begin September 8, with the tournament beginning September 17.

All tournament games will be played in Toronto.

Joe Pavelski of Plover, Wisconsin is captain of Team USA.

Canada and USA will play each other in an exhibition game on September 10, and in a round-robin game on September 20.

Anybody besides me and Woody who will be watching?

Patler
09-07-2016, 07:33 PM
I have been invited to go to at least part of it.
Haven't decided yet if I will.

Fritz
09-08-2016, 05:55 PM
Patler, are you Ted Lindsey or something? Fess up!

Patler
09-08-2016, 08:03 PM
Patler, are you Ted Lindsey or something? Fess up!

Nah. Just have friends in the Toronto area because of my past dealings in hockey. At least a few are still alive!!

wootah
09-12-2016, 06:14 AM
Just a question; do you guys play field hockey as well in the US? Is it popular? Over here it's gaining some momentum, although it's still considered more of a posh sport.

Patler
09-12-2016, 07:21 AM
Field hockey is a fairly common college women's sport. I am not aware of it being played much by men.

wootah
09-12-2016, 07:52 AM
Typical... We don't see gender over here in Europe :P All kidding aside, it's a pretty cool sport to watch: conditioning, positional play & technical capabilities are impressive of those top players.

I'ver never gotten into the ice hockey thing: (for an untrained eye?) it's very hard to see the puck and I never could get over the fighting part of the sport. That's just so 27 BC. Saw a great docu 'Red Army' recently on the USSR hockey team during the cold war. A highly recommended watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLiakZO8FzU

Upnorth
09-15-2016, 07:45 PM
I love the summit series. I remember watching the Soviet team playing the NHL teams in I believe 1980. I think my habs won as well as Edmonton and Vancouver. But if I'm wrong please forgive the inaccurate 30+ year old memory

Joemailman
09-17-2016, 07:37 PM
Team Europe 3
Team USA 0

What a letdown. I thought Team Europe probably had least amount of talent in the tournament. USA will now need to beat Canada or get some help to advance.