PDA

View Full Version : LENDALE WHITE IN ROUND TWO ????

Bretsky
04-15-2006, 05:50 PM
I'm going to post an ESPN INSIDER BLOG from John Clayton. Note point one.

So if Green Bay is on the clock and Lendale White is still there, do we take him ? This is a guy who was once thought of as a top 15 and possibly even top 10 draft pick. And there is a good chance due to his hammy tear, rumors that he doesn't have a great work ethic, and is a bit lazy weight wise, he could plummet.

So if you are the Turtle, and White sits there in round two, do you take him if he seems to be the best available player, or get a very good player to fill one of our several needs.

Bretsky
04-15-2006, 05:50 PM
White likely slips to second roundposted: Wednesday, April 12, 2006
filed under: Chicago Bears, Carolina Panthers, New England Patriots, New York Giants

LenDale White probably feels vindicated, but the revelation that he has a hamstring tear near the pelvic area could cost him any chance of getting selected in the first round. White learned this week that he has the hamstring tear and won't be able to run until mid-May. But no team has a legitimate 40-yard time on the 244-pound former USC running back, and with four other backs who are first-round considerations, White probably will be a second-round bargain for a team.
White is the best of the big backs in the draft. He played the Rose Bowl weighing close to 250 pounds. He was 244 at the recent USC workouts and 238 at the scouting combine in Indy. More details on the injury will come out over the next couple of days, but it's going to be hard for any team to invest a first-round pick on a back who doesn't have a legitimate 40 time.

Bears still looking at Manning: Panthers cornerback Ricky Manning Jr. left Chicago without a restricted free agent offer sheet, but don't be surprised if he gets one soon. Manning is targeted by the Bears because they don't have a third cornerback, and he would be able to compete against Charles Tillman. Tillman struggled at cornerback last season and could eventually end up at safety. Strategically, the Bears may want to wait until the draft gets closer before signing Manning to an offer sheet. If the Bears get Manning, the Panthers would get a third-round draft choice.

Another reason the Bears didn't sign Manning now is because talks have picked up regarding a contract extension for linebacker Lance Briggs, who is entering the final year of his contract. He's become one of the better playmaking outside linebackers in the game, and the Bears clearly don't want to lose him. Re-signing him is one of their priorities. Don't be surprised if a deal gets done soon.

Carolina beefs up LBs: Even though the Panthers added outside linebacker Keith Adams via a two-year deal, don't think they are done looking at linebackers. They could bring back Brandon Short or get a linebacker in the first couple rounds of the draft. They haven't replaced outside linebacker Will Witherspoon, and they have no plans to bring back Mark Fields, who is considering playing this season after missing last year with cancer. Depth is still an issue with the Panthers' linebacker corps, but Adams was a good addition. He's been a solid backup for the Eagles and Cowboys and is also a great special-teams player.

Sweet deal: Defensive tackle Richard Seymour's deal is strong. The Patriots made him the highest-paid defensive player in the league. Seymour will make $28 million over three years, and $24 million of it is guaranteed. The weird part of the deal, though, is that only $6 million is being paid this year. There is an $18.6 million option bonus in 2007. The Patriots have about $17 million of cap room, and their payroll is only about $70 million this year. That saves plenty of cash and cap room to do a deal this year with wide receiver Deion Branch.

Feagles rewarded: To make punter Jeff Feagles feel comfortable about continuing his career, the Giants rewarded Feagles with a $450,000 roster bonus. He was scheduled to make $810,000 on his contract, which runs through 2007. Feagles contemplated retirement but now he's on board for this season and maybe next year.

Harlan Huckleby
04-15-2006, 06:29 PM
Calhoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooon! !

b bulldog
04-15-2006, 08:12 PM
White is much more of a player than Calhoun. Did you watch the Rose Bowl??

falco
04-15-2006, 08:28 PM

Calhoun would be a great 3rd down back and huge improvement over Fisher.

All of this stuff coming out on White tells me he's not worth the gamble.

billy_oliver880
04-15-2006, 08:39 PM
Fat and lazy huh?? Soon he will be livin' with Cledious! :lol:

CyclonePackFan
04-15-2006, 08:54 PM

I did watch the Rose Bowl, every second. I could have driven a Mack truck through the holes Tutusi Latui was opening for White. USC had one hell of an offensive line. I watched Calhoun three years ago when Colorado came to Ames, he was good then, and he was even better after transferring to Wisconsin. He's fast and has great hands, just what we'd want in a 3rd-down back (which is what Calhoun's role would be in GB, at least at first).

Harlan Huckleby
04-15-2006, 09:17 PM
the offense has ZERO playmakers right now. ZERO. Calhoon would be a shot in the arm.

Lendale White looks like a fine pro, but not a creator. He's a power back, and I'm not sure the upgrade over Ahman Green or Samkon Gado would be so significant.

Anti-Polar Bear
04-15-2006, 09:21 PM
I doubt Polar Bear would draft a RB this year. Pack have Green, Davenport, Gado, and Herron on the roster. With Henderson back, that means Davenport won't play fullback since that spot belongs to Leach. I think it will be Green, Davenport and Gado, 1 2 3, respectively on the depth, with Gado being the third down back.

Harlan Huckleby
04-15-2006, 09:28 PM
Gado is no third down back.

I will be surprised. No, shocked, if all three of Green, Gado and Davenport make the final roster. They are all the same player. (I think Green is bound to have lost half a step.)

Anti-Polar Bear
04-15-2006, 09:52 PM
Gado is no third down back.

I will be surprised. No, shocked, if all three of Green, Gado and Davenport make the final roster. They are all the same player. (I think Green is bound to have lost half a step.)

I disagree. When healthy Green is the best rb in the NFL, better than even Tomlinson. Last year the opportunity for Davenport to show his stuff as a feature back was there; unfortunatly, he went on the IR soon after Green. Had he not gotten hurt, Davenport would be the Colts starting RB right now. Gado still has a lot to prove; he doesnt have good breakaway speed, and if you take away his 70 or so yds run against Det, he would be averaging less then 4 yds a carry. If he work on this catching, he'll be a good 3rd down back.

Bretsky
04-15-2006, 10:19 PM
Tank,
When you say things like Green > Tomlinson it completely discredits you. There is not a football coach or football scout in the world that would agree with that statement. Ahman Green, when healthy, isn't even in the same neighborhood as Tomlinson.

billy_oliver880
04-15-2006, 10:29 PM
Tank,
When you say things like Green > Tomlinson it completely discredits you. There is not a football coach or football scout in the world that would agree with that statement. Ahman Green, when healthy, isn't even in the same neighborhood as Tomlinson.

Green when he was healthy was a top tier back. Tomlinson on the other hand is a freak and very athletically gifted.

swede
04-15-2006, 10:31 PM
Blue Dawg is right. Slow guys who can hit holes with power are always out there.

Hell, I'd take Matt Bernstein before Lendale White. When is Bernstein projected to go anyways? He has to be one of the top four or five fb prospects, wouldn't you think?

Anti-Polar Bear
04-15-2006, 10:31 PM
Tank,

Bretsky, Ahman Green is the prototypical RB: possessing that rare combination of size and speed and power. You have RBs who are undersized but fast (Tomlinson, Barber, Dunn); then you have RBs who have ideal size but doesnt have great speed (Johnson in KC); then theres RBs with ideal size and speed but lacked power (Portis, Alexander).

Only Green and perhaps a few others, can claim they are the complete back.

MJZiggy
04-15-2006, 10:34 PM
Next you're gonna be telling me that Harrington is a great QB or something crazy like that. :wink:

Anti-Polar Bear
04-15-2006, 10:42 PM
Next you're gonna be telling me that Harrington is a great QB or something crazy like that. :wink:

I already have. :mrgreen:

ND72
04-15-2006, 10:49 PM
White is your prototypical power, between the tackles back. he will be jerome bettis...BUT, i don't think his work ethic will allow him the number of years the Bus put in. i personally would love him, cause i think he's some kind of good. BUT. i don't think he'll have a very long shelf life. maybe a 7-8 career.

b bulldog
04-15-2006, 11:13 PM
White will be a very good pro, trust me. Berny over White, let's get serious. The Jets will probably end up with White.

ND72
04-15-2006, 11:16 PM
I would bet, if White slips to the 2nd round, if the Jets do move up for Leinart, White will be a J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS.

b bulldog
04-15-2006, 11:24 PM
I agree and that would be the start of a pretty good draft.

ND72
04-15-2006, 11:27 PM
lets not forget, the Jets have the #29 pick also

b bulldog
04-15-2006, 11:31 PM
I haven't but I think they take White in round two and go Oline in the first round. I think they may actually take Ferguson with the 4 pick and Mangold with their second first rounder. I think the Saints will draft Liny at 2 and the Titans take Young and finally the jets taking fergy which gives us Mario. :D

ND72
04-15-2006, 11:33 PM
i agreed with everything you said, except the saints take leiny...cause they won't.

b bulldog
04-15-2006, 11:36 PM
Once again, your wrong!

b bulldog
04-15-2006, 11:37 PM
They will take him or trade out so he gets picked at 2.

ND72
04-15-2006, 11:38 PM
i like ya bulldog...but i'll more than garuntee it. i'm so sure NO won't take a QB, I'm willing to say GB would take Brian Calhoun #5, before NO takes a QB.

b bulldog
04-15-2006, 11:41 PM
The Saints have pretty big questions about Brees's injury status and in all probability, the Saints will move to LA in two years and Liny will make the team that much more valuable. Liny is HUGE in tinseltown. drew's contract is basicly a three year deal, that's all!

ND72
04-15-2006, 11:44 PM
still doubtful. if they were THAT concerned over his health, they wouldnt' have signed him and would have just decided to just go with Leinart.

b bulldog
04-15-2006, 11:46 PM
Wrong again, Brees is a solid QB who could play for a year or two while Liny gets shown the ropes. Brees's contract is VERY FRONT LOADED.

ND72
04-15-2006, 11:49 PM
you don't sign a 26 year old or so solid QB to just have to wait for a rookie to develop. Chargers made a huge mistake but it was known from Day 1 the GM wanted Rivers in there. Leinart will either be a Titan or a Jet...PERIOD.

b bulldog
04-15-2006, 11:50 PM
We'll see, Liny will go in the 2 spot. Watch the draft and when he goes 2, think of the dawg!

ND72
04-15-2006, 11:52 PM
i'll be on here my friend. if the saints take him, i will personally applogize to you.

b bulldog
04-15-2006, 11:55 PM
I know you like Hawk so I have a question for you, will Hawk or Barnett be our every down LB?

ND72
04-15-2006, 11:57 PM
well...truthfully...i think with Barnett's speed, you could move him to a slot defensive back on downs...so i think both could be on the field at all times. Hawk would probably not be an everydown guy though i'm guessing right away...

b bulldog
04-15-2006, 11:57 PM
If he does go two, your apology will have to wait till Monday since I'll be listening to the draft via radio up at the cottage. Need to get everything ready for summer. Kills two birds with one stone.

b bulldog
04-15-2006, 11:58 PM
Were you ever on the JS forum much before most evrryone left??

ND72
04-15-2006, 11:59 PM
i've been on the JS online thing since....well, the day after the end of the season i believe, or at least right around there. so like 4-5 months.

b bulldog
04-16-2006, 12:10 AM
Before everyone left, one could post into the wee hours of the morning with 5-10 other posters. The one thing that I miss is that this site doesn't get the number of posters that JS had. It was really entertaing.

Guiness
04-16-2006, 01:14 AM
i'll be on here my friend. if the saints take him, i will personally applogize to you.

That's the key. I think Liny goes 2, but not to NO. They trade down.

No one is more anxious, or has a better reason to get out of the top 5 than them.

ND72
04-16-2006, 01:16 AM
100% agree.

Tarlam!
04-16-2006, 03:14 AM
My tip: Calhoun goes in the 3rd round.

MJZiggy
04-16-2006, 06:47 PM
USC RB LenDale White, quoted in The Denver Post about being compared to former Ohio State RB Maurice Clarett: “I am not Maurice Clarett. I never violated team rules. I never robbed anyone. I just haven't run a 40-yard dash and I gained five pounds. That's all that has happened.”

Partial
04-16-2006, 08:55 PM
They really should work on the front seven and the oline this year. Getting your foundations solid should be the first priority. As pittsburg has displayed for years now, who is running the ball in not half as important as who is blocking for the defenders.

billy_oliver880
04-16-2006, 09:00 PM
They really should work on the front seven and the oline this year. Getting your foundations solid should be the first priority. As pittsburg has displayed for years now, who is running the ball in not half as important as who is blocking for the defenders.

Then again you could look at Denver with the regard that they have a running back by committee deal going on. It seems they can churn out 1k backs at will and their o-line is nothing drastic. HMMMM I wonder what blocking scheme they use. :wink:

Partial
04-16-2006, 09:05 PM
They have a great line with the highest draft pick being a 4th. However, they also have a kick ass front 7. Not a single player in our front 7 other than Kampman would even be the backups backup in Denver.

Alright maybe thats a little extreme but you get the point :D

billy_oliver880
04-16-2006, 09:18 PM
They have a great line with the highest draft pick being a 4th. However, they also have a kick ass front 7. Not a single player in our front 7 other than Kampman would even be the backups backup in Denver.

Alright maybe thats a little extreme but you get the point :D

True...I think we should do some work on the front 7. I was just thinking that we shouldn't worry as much about our o-line....maybe I am wrong but I don't think we need alot of more work on it. Draft a couple of guys other then that leave er.

HarveyWallbangers
04-16-2006, 11:29 PM
How many times/game do you think a defense goes with one LB?