PDA

View Full Version : More Banjo: Week 1 @ Jacksonville

pbmax
09-11-2016, 03:19 PM
A lot to cover.

1. New punter and LG hurt the Packers late on that last true offensive drive. Worst punt of day and Taylor missed two blocks (one run wide with Lacy and a pass pro block that rushed Rodgers back shoulder throw to Jordy).

2. New ILBs looked good. After 1 week, looks like serious upgrade.

3. Took the Packers a quarter to shake rust off offense.

4. Taylor's worst two plays happened late with game in balance, but Tretter and Lang both missed run blocks in first half.

5. No huddle offense still has problem making calls and letting Rodgers read D within 40 seconds.

6. Shields with likely concussion.

7. Cobb with ankle injury (went back into game)

pbmax
09-11-2016, 03:20 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CsGVeM6WYAAuo3b.jpg:large

Joemailman
09-11-2016, 03:22 PM
Rollins benched, but made a great play late.

That pitch to Lacy on 2nd and 1 is hard to fathom.

pbmax
09-11-2016, 03:28 PM
https://vimeo.com/182316143

pbmax
09-11-2016, 03:29 PM
Rollins benched, but made a great play late.

That pitch to Lacy on 2nd and 1 is hard to fathom.

Loved opening with play action. Went downhill quickly after that.

pbmax
09-11-2016, 03:36 PM
Hard to blame Thomas, but if he drills Robinson, that drive likely dies there. Trying for INT costs them.

https://vimeo.com/182316771

Maxie the Taxi
09-11-2016, 03:46 PM
I'm not looking for an argument, but they went into a "running out the clock" mode with over 5 minutes left again. I just don't get that. Missed block or no missed block. Bad execution not withstanding, one first down likely wins the game. We're not good enough at this point to rush the ball for 10 yards when the defense is expecting it.

pbmax
09-11-2016, 03:50 PM
I'm not looking for an argument, but they went into a "running out the clock" mode with over 5 minutes left again. I just don't get that. Missed block or no missed block. Bad execution not withstanding, one first down likely wins the game. We're not good enough at this point to rush the ball for 10 yards when the defense is expecting it.

That is why on their last non-kneel possession I loved the first down pass. With 3+ minutes left, even with Jacksonville standing with no TOs, they still needed a first down or a stop.

pbmax
09-11-2016, 03:51 PM
Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 13m13 minutes ago
McCarthy: Good team win. Knew when the schedule came out it was going to be a challenge. Heat was challenging for both teams. #GBvsJAX

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 13m13 minutes ago
McCarthy: Proud of the way our guys kept fighting...Came down to a gutty play by our defense. #GBvsJAX

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 11m11 minutes ago
McCarthy on pregame on 9/11: Probably as an emotional a National Anthem as I've seen. A special tribute. #GBvsJAX

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 10m10 minutes ago
McCarthy: Great to have Jordy (Nelson) back. He looked good. Good for him to get back in the flow. #GBvsJAX

pbmax
09-11-2016, 03:53 PM
Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 6m6 minutes ago
Rodgers on the Jacksonville heat: It was tough. It was hot for both teams. We were moving with some tempo. #GBvsJAX

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 5m5 minutes ago
Rodgers: Didn't feel like we played very well on offense...but we won. It's tough to win in this league. We're 1-0. #GBvsJAX

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 5m5 minutes ago
Rodgers: Great to have Jordy (Nelson) back. He does so many good things out there. Good second & third reaction on the TD catch. #GBvsJAX

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 1m1 minute ago
Rodgers on #Packers O-line play: It was great...Protection I thought was really good...Thought Lane (Taylor) played really well. #GBvsJAX

WATCHING FILM WILL FIX THIS

Joemailman
09-11-2016, 04:09 PM
https://vimeo.com/182316143

That's actually a great play by Hyde to fight off that block and hold up the receiver until Thomas can get there. Pause that video and look how far away Thomas is when the catch is made.

red
09-11-2016, 04:37 PM
3. Took the Packers a quarter to shake rust off offense.

and the rust grew back at halftime, which they weren't able to shake off in the second half

MadScientist
09-11-2016, 04:38 PM
Last year they kept throwing that stupid TE out pattern to Rodgers that would get at most 2 yards. Cook ran the same play and turned it up for 8.

red
09-11-2016, 04:40 PM
That is why on their last non-kneel possession I loved the first down pass. With 3+ minutes left, even with Jacksonville standing with no TOs, they still needed a first down or a stop.

a first down throw on first doesn't do much for you though. you just gained one extra play. if that happens on third down, you've gained 3 plays

pbmax
09-11-2016, 04:44 PM
Forgot the nice moment where LeTroy Guion carried JoeT off the field after that stop.

Also heard on radio that Rollins was benched after one of the long plays he gave up, only to have to go back in after Shields got concussed.

Also reminded that Shields had concussion last year that last multiple games.

pbmax
09-11-2016, 04:46 PM
a first down throw on first doesn't do much for you though. you just gained one extra play. if that happens on third down, you've gained 3 plays

You need to keep the defense honest. Or you have no chance at a first. Even with three running plays but no first, Jags have 1:30 left with the ball.

ThunderDan
09-11-2016, 09:06 PM
and the rust grew back at halftime, which they weren't able to shake off in the second half

The Packers had 1 punt in the 2nd half. While they didn't punch in the TDs the offense moved the ball on all but 1 drive in the 2nd half.

call_me_ishmael
09-11-2016, 09:12 PM
Offense put up 27 points. They had a decent but not great game. Rust is to be expected in game one when you don't play the starters in pre-season.

A few thoughts:

1. Where was Julius Peppers? I don't think I saw him on the field at all! Did he completely lose it in camp? I hadn't heard that.

2. There are a lot of options on this team. The offense should have a plethora of people that can catch 3-5 balls per game and put up 50 yards.

3. Would like to see Jared Cook more involved.

4. I think I saw Morgan Burnett playing ILB a few times.

5. Blake Martinez is skinny as all get out.

6. HHCD looks like a player ready to break out (to me, anyway). He has all the talent in the world and I'll be damned if he doesn't look huge for a safety.

That's all for now.

ThunderDan
09-11-2016, 09:18 PM
Packers used peppers-jones-Perry-clay for pass rush at times.

pbmax
09-11-2016, 09:35 PM
Packers used peppers-jones-Perry-clay for pass rush at times.

Yep. Peppers was at DT in that unit.

ThunderDan
09-11-2016, 09:41 PM
Yep. Peppers was at DT in that unit.

Not sure if wist would call that a super dime 0-11 D with no DL or DE on the field.

ThunderDan
09-11-2016, 09:42 PM
Not sure if wist would call that a super dime 0-11 D with no DL or DE on the field.

Maybe a 0-4-7.

pbmax
09-11-2016, 09:56 PM
Maybe a 0-4-7.

Remember they are only D lineman if their hand is in the dirt. :lol:

yetisnowman
09-11-2016, 11:09 PM
I can't begin to understand our running game. So many plays end up outside the hash marks with no chance to succeed. Lacys decision making is dreadful, and I'm not sure any rb in the NFL accomplishes less with his skillset than he does. And yet MM puts him position to fail over and over again.

Cheesehead Craig
09-12-2016, 08:31 AM
I'll be optimistic guy for this post.

The run defense was fantastic. 26 carries, 48 yds for the Jags. That's dominant.

This wasn't going to be an easy game, Jax is on the rise. They have a lot more talent than in years past and certainly have a legit QB in Bortles.

Davante Adams looked like he did when he was a rookie and was in favor from the board.

Fritz
09-12-2016, 11:49 AM
I can't begin to understand our running game. So many plays end up outside the hash marks with no chance to succeed. Lacys decision making is dreadful, and I'm not sure any rb in the NFL accomplishes less with his skillset than he does. And yet MM puts him position to fail over and over again.

From what I've read Lacy has put on much of the weight he lost in the early offseason.

Given his habits, I don't see the Packers re-signing him after this contract is up. He might come in next season slim and trim and ready to rock, but his history suggests that after the contract drive he'll go back to camping out at White Castle.

red
09-12-2016, 05:56 PM
From what I've read Lacy has put on much of the weight he lost in the early offseason.

Given his habits, I don't see the Packers re-signing him after this contract is up. He might come in next season slim and trim and ready to rock, but his history suggests that after the contract drive he'll go back to camping out at White Castle.

glad someone else sees it too

Joemailman
09-12-2016, 06:09 PM

This is the last year of Lacy's contract. I think he's lighter than last year, although I agree he looks heavier than he did in the spring.

pbmax
09-12-2016, 06:18 PM
glad someone else sees it too

Except Fritz didn't get to watch the game.

swede
09-12-2016, 06:26 PM
This is the last year of Lacy's contract. I think he's lighter than last year, although I agree he looks heavier than he did in the spring.

Ya he's gone

2017: R1) Trade back R2) WR R2) RB R3) OL

King Friday
09-12-2016, 07:14 PM
I agree that there is no way Thompson pays significant money to keep Lacy in Green Bay. RB is one of the EASIEST positions to replace spots with capable talent from the college ranks, because so much emphasis is put on other positions at the NFL level. Why pay Lacy $6M a year when you can draft a guy just as good for 20% of the price?

red
09-12-2016, 07:28 PM
I agree that there is no way Thompson pays significant money to keep Lacy in Green Bay. RB is one of the EASIEST positions to replace spots with capable talent from the college ranks, because so much emphasis is put on other positions at the NFL level. Why pay Lacy $6M a year when you can draft a guy just as good for 20% of the price?it might actually be more then that. you got me thinking so i looked it up

ap makes 14 mill a year
jamaal charles is a 9
lesean mccoy- 8
jonathan stewart- 7.3
doug martin-7.1
lamar miller-6.5
chris ivory-6.4
demarco murry-6.25
ezekiel elliortt- 6.24
giovani bernard-5.16

thats your top 10 highest paid on average per year

i'm gessing eddy is around that 6.5-8 million a year range

if he can have a better year then his fat ass had last year

run pMc
09-12-2016, 08:36 PM
From what I read Peppers was in for 29 plays, and if Shields has a concussion it will be his 4th. That's not good.
I like Lacy and think he's in better shape than last year but still too heavy. $6-8.5M? Yikes.

run pMc
09-12-2016, 08:43 PM
Agree the run D was pretty good. Playing in 110' heat index weather has to be brutal on the players. Now about that 3rd (and 4th) down defense...

I'm pulling for Adams to make that jump, but I'm not sure he's more than a #3WR at best. Maybe Trevor Davis is the heir apparent outside? Geronimo? 2017 Drafted player? Would like to see them do some more things to scheme receivers open...it's only week 1, maybe that's for after the bye. Seems like the OL kept Rodgers' jersey clean and he didn't get jittery back there.
The offense got going when they went no-huddle, but they were rusty.

pbmax
09-12-2016, 10:02 PM
GBPG coaching tape piece, with Eric Baranczyk, says that Nick Perry and Datone Jones deserve credit for stellar run D on Sunday.

I think this is a larger reason there wasn't more Peppers. Perry might be the best run defending OLB on the roster, including Matthews.

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/dougherty/2016/09/12/perry-jones-get-jaguars-run/90282914/

The role Perry and Jones would have in shutting down the Jaguars’ run game showed from the Jaguars’ first possession, when on second-and-10, Yeldon took a handoff to his left. Perry, playing at right end in the Packers’ nickel personnel, took on tight end Julius Thomas, drove him a back, then got off the block to make the tackle for only a two-yard gain.

Later in the quarter, on a first down with 9:36 left, Jacksonville’s best blocking tight end, Mercedes Lewis, tried to block Perry. But in what would be emblematic of much of the day, Perry stoned him at the line of scrimmage, and with Jones also holding his ground as a defensive tackle on the play, there was nowhere for Yeldon to run.

Likewise, Jones absolutely blew up a run several snaps later, on a first down, when left guard Luke Joeckel pulled and blocked him. Jones met Joeckel behind the line of scrimmage and knocked back the guard a good two yards. That cut off Yeldon’s path to the outside, and when he cut back Clay Matthews and Guion cleaned up the tackle for a loss of two yards.

Bossman641
09-13-2016, 08:38 AM
This was the first offseason Perry has been healthy. I expect a big year from him IF he can stay healthy.

Fritz
09-13-2016, 10:54 AM
Except Fritz didn't get to watch the game.

PB, PB, PB.

What am I gonna do with you? I keep trying to educate you about how the internet works, but you just don't seem to learn.

Watching the game would merely have made things more complicated - I might have seen Lacy look good on some runs, not so good on others.

Facts, Schmacts. Evidence? Ugh.

Stop letting these things getting in the way of your opinion.

Clayish
09-13-2016, 10:59 AM
This was the first offseason Perry has been healthy. I expect a big year from him IF he can stay healthy.

I thought he had an awesome game on Sunday.

Maxie the Taxi
09-13-2016, 11:10 AM
PB, PB, PB.

What am I gonna do with you? I keep trying to educate you about how the internet works, but you just don't seem to learn.

Watching the game would merely have made things more complicated - I might have seen Lacy look good on some runs, not so good on others.

Facts, Schmacts. Evidence? Ugh.

Stop letting these things getting in the way of your opinion.

There is a definite divide on this board between the Football Technicians and the Unedimacated Fans. I'm a member of the latter group, as pb, vince, harv, kypack and others remind me frequently that what I saw in the game I didn't really see. :-)

pbmax
09-13-2016, 03:44 PM
You gonna believe me or your lyin' eyes? :D

Maxie the Taxi
09-13-2016, 04:40 PM
You gonna believe me or your lyin' eyes? :DUsually I believe you. LOL

Fritz
09-13-2016, 06:14 PM
Exactly. Why bother to watch film and think about the nuances of playing football in the NFL?

Just spout a bunch of shit, shout it loud, and attack anyone who disagrees.

So there. Lacy is fat and lazy and the Packers will clearly not re-sign him. They'll move on and take a running back in the fourth or fifth round next year. We'll scream about it, but it'll mostly work out in the end.

See how easy that is?

Come on, PB! Abandon fact and logic! Come over to the fun side!