PDA

View Full Version : Packers Offensive Line - Now and Going Forward

RashanGary
09-11-2016, 08:55 PM
Bahktiari - He looked damn good today. Strong, consistent, reliable. Lock him up.
Taylor - He looked alright. I miss Sitton a little, but Taylor looked alright!
Tretter - Looked good. OL played well overall and he was a part of that
Lang - Didn't notice him. The cliche OL compliment
Bulaga - Same as Lang

Lock up Bahktiari and Tretter. That's the next new wave of lineman in their prime for the Packers. Stick Lindsley back at center next year, move Tretter out to guard and we have a solid starting 5, and they're just affordable!

If you're going to pay guys a lot of money, might as well be young ones with good knees, shoulders and backs. The Packers made kind of a luxury move releasing a really good player, but something tells me they just have a good young group that they're ready to play with and that's all it was. Time to move on. Lang is next.

pbmax
09-11-2016, 08:56 PM
Tretter and Lang missed cutoff blocks that stymied wide runs. Taylor whiffed on that toss they ran to Lacy late. It wasn't clean but it wasn't a disaster.

call_me_ishmael
09-11-2016, 09:14 PM
Tretter is too skinny to play guard. He is a tackle or a center. I have a strange feeling this may be the whale's last season on the team so could Tretter be the starting RT next year? I do have to ask why he hasn't put on much weight since he entered the league. I would have thought he would have added 20+ pounds by now.

RashanGary
09-11-2016, 09:35 PM
2016 - Player(salary) - Bahk(2M)/Taylor(2M)/Tretter(1M)/Lang(5M)/Bulaga(7M) TOTAL 17M
2017 - Player(salary) - Bahk(10M)/Taylor(2M)/Lindsley(1M)/Tretter(5M)/Bulaga(7M) TOTAL 25M

We'll see what happens after that. It's gonna be hard to pay full wage for the whole line. At least one or two of your OL need to be underpaid or you'll struggle paying for the rest of your team.

So who stays? Who goes?

It will be interesting to see play out. I'll bet Lang is gone after this year. Which young guys stay long term though? Can they afford Tretter, Lindsley, Bahk and Bulaga? I just don't know........ And with that, the Taylor piece makes so much more sense. He's a servicable, cheap, reliable player to supplement your higher paid tackles.

Bossman641
09-11-2016, 09:58 PM
Ya I don't see tretter as a guard. Linsley is probably more of a guard but even he isn't your standard guard. They very well might lock up bakh and tretter, let Lang walk and move Bulaga to guard. Bakh-Taylor-tretter-bulaga-spriggs. Linsley is locked up through 2017.

RashanGary
09-11-2016, 11:11 PM
Ya I don't see tretter as a guard. Linsley is probably more of a guard but even he isn't your standard guard. They very well might lock up bakh and tretter, let Lang walk and move Bulaga to guard. Bakh-Taylor-tretter-bulaga-spriggs. Linsley is locked up through 2017.

Bulaga would ne an expensive guard, but its possible. A lot of things are posible. We have a lot of young OL. I guess we'll see who they decide to keep.

texaspackerbacker
09-12-2016, 08:26 AM
Our O Line looked good because of low expectations. Maybe we'll get lucky with Spriggs, and undoubtedly Linsley factors in going forward, but I expect things to continue about like they are now - good enough to win with a superstar QB, but nothing spectacular.

Patler
09-12-2016, 09:39 AM
Bulaga would ne an expensive guard, but its possible. A lot of things are posible. We have a lot of young OL. I guess we'll see who they decide to keep.

Ya, but not by an outlandish amount. If he is part of a line that includes some cheap players like Spriggs and Murohy, it would be handled easily under the cap.

It will be interesting to see how this unfolds. Spriggs wasn't drafted to be a reserve for the next 4 years. I expect they will try to find a place for him next year. Bulaga is under contract for as long as Spriggs and Murphy, through the 2019 season.

Maxie the Taxi
09-12-2016, 10:49 AM
Don't overlook LUCAS PATRICK. Proven winner. http://www.packers.com/team/roster/Lucas-Patrick/7e791219-e17a-46d2-98a9-7af6dd7844c8

7th most athletic O-Lineman in 2016 Class. https://3sigmaathlete.com/rankings/ol/

Good kid. He gets it. http://www.newsoforange.com/sports/article_f18d1a34-5504-11e6-8aac-83aabec867e0.html

Harlan Huckleby
09-12-2016, 11:17 AM
Tretter and Lang missed cutoff blocks that stymied wide runs. Taylor whiffed on that toss they ran to Lacy late. It wasn't clean but it wasn't a disaster.

It will be interesting to see Fightin' Bob McGinn's analysis this week. I'm sure the pitchforks will be out from part of the fan base.

Harlan Huckleby
09-12-2016, 11:18 AM
I'm interested in see if the Australian rules football guy on the PS moves up the ladder.

Patler
09-12-2016, 12:08 PM
Don't overlook LUCAS PATRICK. Proven winner. http://www.packers.com/team/roster/Lucas-Patrick/7e791219-e17a-46d2-98a9-7af6dd7844c8

7th most athletic O-Lineman in 2016 Class. https://3sigmaathlete.com/rankings/ol/

Good kid. He gets it. http://www.newsoforange.com/sports/article_f18d1a34-5504-11e6-8aac-83aabec867e0.html

Hopefully, he won't be this year's version of Matt Rotheram. Rotheram supposedly was one of the undrafted prizes throughout the league. Had 15 offers. Was the top rated run blocker of all draft eligible guards. GB paid extra to keep him on PS last year. Disappeared this year.

http://www.foxsports.com/wisconsin/story/green-bay-packers-could-have-steal-in-undrafted-ol-matt-rotheram-051515

Rutnstrut
09-12-2016, 04:48 PM
Bacteria has always been the weak link on this line. I don't see him improving, and one game proves nothing.

red
09-12-2016, 05:06 PM
and i say theres still a good chance we lose both bahk and lang because of the way the sitton deal went down

they seem to be the closest to him. and bahk might be the guy the "cancer" already started to spread to

they can make just as much, if not more in free agency as they would in green bay. so if they are pissed at management and/or coaches talking shit about their friend after he's cut, then maybe they decide to look elsewhere

what he sitton tells them about how well he's treated and how much he made in FIBland?

red
09-12-2016, 05:07 PM
It will be interesting to see Fightin' Bob McGinn's analysis this week. I'm sure the pitchforks will be out from part of the fan base.

its never easy when you don't drink the koolaide

Bossman641
09-12-2016, 05:13 PM
and i say theres still a good chance we lose both bahk and lang because of the way the sitton deal went down

they seem to be the closest to him. and bahk might be the guy the "cancer" already started to spread to

they can make just as much, if not more in free agency as they would in green bay. so if they are pissed at management and/or coaches talking shit about their friend after he's cut, then maybe they decide to look elsewhere

what he sitton tells them about how well he's treated and how much he made in FIBland?

Isn't Sitton making basically the same in Chicago as he is in GB? While playing for a substantially worse team?

If Lang and Bakh are pissed because a teammate got cut then we have bigger problems then losing Josh Sitton.

red
09-12-2016, 05:15 PM
Isn't Sitton making basically the same in Chicago as he is in GB? While playing for a substantially worse team?

If Lang and Bakh are pissed because a teammate got cut then we have bigger problems then losing Josh Sitton.

sitton would have made 5.9 million this year i think

in chicago he'll get 6.75 million this year

and if you now think the team treated a friend like a pile of shit, why would you stay? if i feel a fellow employee is treated like shit, i'm gonna start to think about leaving myself

oh, and i don't believe for a second that players care as much about winning as us fans do. thats just a joke to think that. they make the same money no matter if they win 2 games or 16. and you don't make much, if any more money by goin g to the playoffs and the super bowl. i think you're pretty much playing for free

HarveyWallbangers
09-12-2016, 05:24 PM
I'm not a big fan of Taylor. It was big downgrade for this year, and I'm leaning towards hoping he's not a part of the future plans. I doubt this is their plan, but if they can resign Lang to a relatively reasonable 3yr deal, I'd do it. I liked Lang long-term more than Sitton before Sitton was released. In fact, I think Lang was better last year, and I think he'll be better going forward. I'm hopeful for a Spriggs, Linsley, Tretter, Lang, and Bulaga OL next year. Murphy as the backup outside with Taylor as the backup inside. Bakh is solid, but I think he'll ask for more than we're willing to pay and we drafted Spriggs to replace him. The money saved from cutting Sitton does free up money to sign another player they would have otherwise not been able to afford, but I'm not sure it will be all on the OL. More likely, it will be used to sign somebody like Ha Ha to a long-term deal.

red
09-12-2016, 05:28 PM
I'm not a big fan of Taylor. It was big downgrade for this year, and I'm leaning towards hoping he's not a part of the future plans. I doubt this is their plan, but if they can resign Lang to a relatively reasonable 3yr deal, I'd do it. I liked Lang long-term more than Sitton before Sitton was released. In fact, I think Lang was better last year, and I think he'll be better going forward. I'm hopeful for a Spriggs, Linsley, Tretter, Lang, and Bulaga OL next year. Murphy as the backup outside with Taylor as the backup inside. Bakh is solid, but I think he'll ask for more than we're willing to pay and we drafted Spriggs to replace him. The money saved from cutting Sitton does free up money to sign another player they would have otherwise not been able to afford, but I'm not sure it will be all on the OL. More likely, it will be used to sign somebody like Ha Ha to a long-term deal.

and theres that, if bahk is expecting 8-10 million, you let him go. no way is he worth that imo

i do think he was the weak link on the line before sitton got canned

run pMc
09-12-2016, 08:56 PM
Spriggs at OT, Murphy at RT or RG...if Bahk wants $10M he'll have to look elsewhere. He's a good but not great player, but unless Spriggs is garbage the team has leverage with a replacement on the 53.
I like Trettter and the coaches love him but where does he fit? Is he the backup C-T and Murphy backs up both G spots? I don't see them keeping Bahk, Tretter and Lang. I don't think they want to lose Lang after the Sitton debacle, plus I think he ends up setting the tone for the youngsters.

Lucas Patrick played all camp with a club on a broken hand and didn't miss a practice, so with two working hands you'd think he'd be a flippin' All Pro. Take that, Janis.

I will say this: they are better stocked with talent than when Wahle and Rivera left. I don't expect a dropoff on the OL next year. Wait, why am I thinking about next year? Ugh.

Joemailman
09-12-2016, 09:00 PM
and theres that, if bahk is expecting 8-10 million, you let him go. no way is he worth that imo

i do think he was the weak link on the line before sitton got canned

Right now the 10th highest paid LT makes 10 mil. 16th highest makes 7 mil. Not sure where teams will rank Bakhtiari.

vince
09-12-2016, 09:14 PM
Unless his back issue gets worse as the season wears on or some other injury happens, I think Bakh will command $10 mil next year and be gone. He's just entering his prime, he's a lot stronger this year and a very solid left tackle - a prized commodity. People suggesting he's a weak link are offbase in my opinion.

Spriggs - Taylor/Murphy - Linsley - Tretter - Bulaga

Tretter can handle NT's at Center. They can get him on a workout/diet regimen and bulk up in the offseason. Have him hang out with Lacy for a few months - or Mike Neal maybe.

vince
09-12-2016, 09:16 PM
Even if he's somewhere between 10 and 16 Joe, he's young, ascending, and at such a valued position - he's gonna get paid I think.

At minimum, I'd say someone's going to pay far more than Ted will or should - at least assuming Spriggs develops as projected. No need to pay $10 mil for a guy when you have another guy just as good (or close to it) for far, far less.

Like Harv said, use the money to pay Cook, Dix, and based on early returns this year, Perry and Jones. I wouldn't have guessed I'd be arguing that a year or two ago...

pbmax
09-12-2016, 09:46 PM
I just don't see Tretter at Guard. He is the clone of Flanagan. Center and Left Tackle.

I think they try Linsley at Guard.

RashanGary
09-12-2016, 09:53 PM
There are a lot of interesting ideas..... I like Bahk and think the odds of Spriggs being good at that position are slim. I'd rather see Spriggs take two years to groom, come off the bench for whoevers hurt, then replace Bulaga.

vince
09-12-2016, 09:55 PM
There are a lot of interesting ideas..... I like Bahk and think the odds of Spriggs being good at that position are slim. I'd rather see Spriggs take two years to groom, come off the bench for whoevers hurt, then replace Bulaga.
Yeah based on what we know so far about Spriggs that's hard to argue with. I like Bakh too. He won't come cheap.

vince
09-12-2016, 09:58 PM
I just don't see Tretter at Guard. He is the clone of Flanagan. Center and Left Tackle.

Yeah perhaps. Both Linsley and Tretter have injury histories building up now too. I could see Lang re-signing because he won't command what Bakh will and Ted might find that more palatable given the pretty long list of upcoming free agents on both sides of the ball.

Harlan Huckleby
09-12-2016, 09:58 PM
Bahk reportedly added 15 pounds of muscle, correcting his shortcoming, and is looking to be an elite LT.

Patler
09-13-2016, 07:33 AM
oh, and i don't believe for a second that players care as much about winning as us fans do. thats just a joke to think that. they make the same money no matter if they win 2 games or 16. and you don't make much, if any more money by goin g to the playoffs and the super bowl. i think you're pretty much playing for free

Very true. For many pro athletes, the sport they play is not even the one they are most passionate about, it just happens to be the one they were the best at, or had the opportunities for at the right time. I've known NHL players who wanted their names on the Stanley Cup, but were very much satisfied missing the playoffs because they really wanted to get to the off season and away from hockey for a while. (Of course, the NHL playoffs can be agonizingly long, taking a lot out of players both physically and emotionally, which some would just as soon avoid.) It really is just a job for many athletes, just like the jobs many of us have had, a job they enjoy doing and are good at, but other things in their lives are much, much more important.

Then, too, their careers are short and their commitment to a team via a contract is even shorter. A big contract with a bad team is simply a means to an end. A chance to have things for the rest of their lives lives that they never thought they could have, all for just a few years in their careers.

Patler
09-13-2016, 07:41 AM

I have suggested that several times since the Sitton and Lang contracts became hot topics, and have been told routinely that Linsley is not a guard. I will admit that I really don't know, but it just seems to me that between the two, Linsley and Tretter, Linsley seems more suited to guard than Tretter does.

pbmax
09-13-2016, 08:18 AM
I have suggested that several times since the Sitton and Lang contracts became hot topics, and have been told routinely that Linsley is not a guard. I will admit that I really don't know, but it just seems to me that between the two, Linsley and Tretter, Linsley seems more suited to guard than Tretter does.

Both he and Tretter are a little atypical for Guards. But where Tretter might be more Wahle, I could see Linsley as more Rivera. A road grader. Linsley is strong and has fantastic leverage. But he is not quick and would need very sound technique, plus the normal learning curve.

Both are a bit of a stretch to project, but I think he could learn it.

Pugger
09-13-2016, 08:23 AM
Bacteria has always been the weak link on this line. I don't see him improving, and one game proves nothing.

I don't know if its been just one game...

Pugger
09-13-2016, 08:25 AM
sitton would have made 5.9 million this year i think

in chicago he'll get 6.75 million this year

and if you now think the team treated a friend like a pile of shit, why would you stay? if i feel a fellow employee is treated like shit, i'm gonna start to think about leaving myself

How do you know the team treated him like shit? A lot of the stuff we are hearing is all conjecture. For all we know Josh asked for his release knowing he wasn't in our future plans.

Pugger
09-13-2016, 08:27 AM
Unless his back issue gets worse as the season wears on or some other injury happens, I think Bakh will command $10 mil next year and be gone. He's just entering his prime, he's a lot stronger this year and a very solid left tackle - a prized commodity. People suggesting he's a weak link are offbase in my opinion.

Spriggs - Taylor/Murphy - Linsley - Tretter - Bulaga

Tretter can handle NT's at Center. They can get him on a workout/diet regimen and bulk up in the offseason. Have him hang out with Lacy for a few months - or Mike Neal maybe.

I don't think we want JC hanging around with Neal...

Pugger
09-13-2016, 08:30 AM

When we had to put Bahk at LT as a rookie he was a lot smaller than Spriggs is today. Plus Spriggs was a 2nd round pick we moved up for and Bahk was a 4th rounder and had some serious growing pains out there in his rookie season.

pbmax
09-13-2016, 08:39 AM
Anything can happen and I am sure Ted doesn't care, but I don't envision they traded up in the 2nd for a RT only. I think the idea is LT.

Which probably puts a limit on how much they want to offer Bach as long as they are still convinced Spriggs can do it. And the kid is a natural pass blocker.

Bossman641
09-13-2016, 08:43 AM
Anything can happen and I am sure Ted doesn't care, but I don't envision they traded up in the 2nd for a RT only. I think the idea is LT.

Which probably puts a limit on how much they want to offer Bach as long as they are still convinced Spriggs can do it. And the kid is a natural pass blocker.

Will definitely be interesting to see what happens with Bakh. The Packers don't normally let young ascending plays leave. I think they'll find a way to retain him.

gbgary
09-13-2016, 08:44 AM
Will definitely be interesting to see what happens with Bakh. The Packers don't normally let young ascending plays leave. I think they'll find a way to retain him.

he's resigning for 4yrs and $51m!!

Bossman641
09-13-2016, 08:45 AM

How's that for timing!!

Harlan Huckleby
09-13-2016, 09:11 AM

Wow, that's Josh Sitton money! (J/K, but maybe it is about the same amount of guaranteed money, $10M)

edit: pbmax reports that it is considerably better than Josh's deal.

Patler
09-13-2016, 10:20 AM
That certainly answers one question about the OL for the future. Bahktiari is the left tackle, they sure aren't paying him that much to move inside.

Spriggs has to be a little disappointed on a personal level. He knew the situation and had to be thinking about the opportunity he would have if Bakhtiari walked away at the end of the season. Now he, Spriggs, will be looking for another position. Bulaga won't be a free agent before Sprigs is, so he doesn't have a contract based opportunity there.

Upnorth
09-13-2016, 10:25 AM
That certainly answers one question about the OL for the future. Bahktiari is the left tackle, they sure aren't paying him that much to move inside.

Spriggs has to be a little disappointed on a personal level. He knew the situation and had to be thinking about the opportunity he would have if Bakhtiari walked away at the end of the season. Now he, Spriggs, will be looking for another position. Bulaga won't be a free agent before Sprigs is, so he doesn't have a contract based opportunity there.

HOwever with Buluga's wonky knee it may open up quickly for him.

Patler
09-13-2016, 10:40 AM
HOwever with Buluga's wonky knee it may open up quickly for him.

Yup, that's a given. Spriggs could also make Bulaga expendable if he shows he can handle the duty. He will be a lot cheaper than Bulaga for the three years following this. Or, Lang could be the odd man out, with Bulaga moving inside.

The one very encouraging thing is that the Packers seem to have several options for putting together a line in spite of the obstacle they faced with four contracts expiring after this year. They could let Tretter and Lang walk, and still have a line of Bakhtiari, Taylor, Linsley, Bulaga and Spriggs, not to mention the other hopefuls already under contract.

Pugger
09-13-2016, 10:48 AM

Perhaps Ted and Dom wanted Spriggs for RT all along?

RashanGary
09-13-2016, 01:08 PM
Yup, that's a given. Spriggs could also make Bulaga expendable if he shows he can handle the duty. He will be a lot cheaper than Bulaga for the three years following this. Or, Lang could be the odd man out, with Bulaga moving inside.

The one very encouraging thing is that the Packers seem to have several options for putting together a line in spite of the obstacle they faced with four contracts expiring after this year. They could let Tretter and Lang walk, and still have a line of Bakhtiari, Taylor, Linsley, Bulaga and Spriggs, not to mention the other hopefuls already under contract.

I highly doubt Lang will be resigned.
Some good players are going to have to go.

yetisnowman
09-13-2016, 01:19 PM

But I thought the reason why we didn't go after a defensive free agent, was to have money to pay our entire o-line? Sittons gone, and maybe Lang too? Ted sure can be frustrating.

Patler
09-13-2016, 01:20 PM

Seems likely, doesn't it? Bulaga might be cheaper than what they can sign Lang for.

red
09-13-2016, 01:23 PM
we spent a 2nd on sprigg for a reason, and it seems like its not gonna be to play LT, and a second for a guard is pretty high, soooooo

call_me_ishmael
09-13-2016, 01:34 PM
Red, do you not get it by now? Bakh is a great tackle, easily top 10 in the league, 25 years old, etc. He was gonna cash in, $$$ big time. So they paid him. Any GM in the league would have offered him that same deal given the circumstances.

Who knows is Spriggs can play tackle? I suspect he can and think he'll be a good player but the odds of him becoming as good as Bakh are unlikely IMO. Most players never reach that level. Ultimately, they have him locked up for four years so they'll figure out what to do with him in time. For now he's a perfectly good back-up to both tackles.

I still think Bulaga is gone and Tretter is the starting RT next year. Just a hunch. I accurately predicted this Bakh signing and I am pretty confident in the Tretter at RT thing as well. It makes too much sense. Tretter is too skinny to play guard and Linsley is too good at center + too small for guard.

red
09-13-2016, 01:45 PM
great tackle based on what 1 game now?

because he hasn't been a great tackle up to this point, average at best. he's been a dancing bear who just tries to stand in the way of the pass rushers for as long as he can without touching them

if it wasn't for a-rods scrambling ability, there is no way we're be calling this a good signing

red
09-13-2016, 01:47 PM
another thing to think about

the best lines are the ones that stay together for awhile

this year we are making one big change, and next year we're probably going to make another, if not 2 or 3 (could the whole line other then bahk be different next year?

RashanGary
09-13-2016, 01:59 PM
Seems likely, doesn't it? Bulaga might be cheaper than what they can sign Lang for.

Lang is old too.

Bossman641
09-13-2016, 02:18 PM
Red, do you not get it by now? Bakh is a great tackle, easily top 10 in the league, 25 years old, etc. He was gonna cash in, $$$ big time. So they paid him. Any GM in the league would have offered him that same deal given the circumstances.

Who knows is Spriggs can play tackle? I suspect he can and think he'll be a good player but the odds of him becoming as good as Bakh are unlikely IMO. Most players never reach that level. Ultimately, they have him locked up for four years so they'll figure out what to do with him in time. For now he's a perfectly good back-up to both tackles

Agree with much of what you say. I don't think Bakh is great yet, and maybe never will be, but he has made significant strides year in year out. If he continues on that path who knows what he will become. Even if his progress slows, he will still become a top 15 LT IMO and his compensation reflects as such.

pbmax
09-13-2016, 03:52 PM
I don't think Lang is getting Sitton money. Still might be too much, but not $7 mil/year.

If they don't get Tretter and get to Lang, I expect him to hit the market trying to beat the Packers last, best offer. The other players available and their deals will determine whether he returns.

red
09-13-2016, 04:11 PM
I don't think Lang is getting Sitton money. Still might be too much, but not $7 mil/year.

If they don't get Tretter and get to Lang, I expect him to hit the market trying to beat the Packers last, best offer. The other players available and their deals will determine whether he returns.

lang is younger and some would say better last year then sitton

why wouldn't someone give him sitton money?

oh, and he doesn't have a back issue

Patler
09-13-2016, 04:26 PM
lang is younger and some would say better last year then sitton

why wouldn't someone give him sitton money?

oh, and he doesn't have a back issue

Not back issues, but Lang has had an ongoing shoulder problem that they have kept somewhat quiet for a while now. He had surgery that kept him out of TC for a long time. Significant shoulder injuries have ended lots of OL careers, including a great one in Tony Boselli after only 7 years, or something like that. A shoulder injury also ended Mike Wahle's career at 31. It will be interesting to see how well Lang holds up this year. Maybe it has been fixed and is a dead issue.

RashanGary
09-13-2016, 05:03 PM
I see two likely scenarios, in either case, Lang is gone.

1. Resign Tretter now for a slightly team friendly deal. Maybe 6m/year. Then let Lindsley go next year and keep Bahk, Tretter and Bulaga as your higher paid players. Taylor and whoever plays guard are your cheap players

2. Resign Tretter now for slightly team friendly deal. Then if Spriggs shows he can play this year and going into next year, resign Lindsley and then trade or cut Bulaga. Taylor and Spriggs are your cheap players.

I'm leaning toward scenario two. But Spriggs gets to decide.

red
09-13-2016, 05:22 PM
since we're on the subject

bulagas cap number next year is 7.85 million and he'll still have 4.8 million against the cap if they cut him

so cutting him saves 3 million next year

his cap number is 8.35 in BOTH 2018 and 2019

Farley Face
09-13-2016, 05:24 PM
I'd prefer Lang walk and we cash in the comp pick in 2018. Same with Lacy honestly, but I don't want to take us off topic.

Fritz
09-13-2016, 06:11 PM
Lang at guard, or Bulaga at guard?

Cuz Spriggs will be the RT next year, methinks.

Joemailman
09-13-2016, 06:15 PM
Lang at guard, or Bulaga at guard?

Cuz Spriggs will be the RT next year, methinks.

Lots of offensive line threads right now.

They didn't use a 2nd and 4th round pick on Spriggs for him to be a backup. Gotta believe he'll be the RT. That would mean 1 of 4 things:

Bulaga is gone
Lang is gone and Bulaga moves to RG
Bulaga moves to LG, Lang stays at RG and Taylor becomes backup.
Lang is gone, Bulaga moves to LG and Taylor moves to RG.

vince
09-13-2016, 06:18 PM
Lang's not that old, though he has worn a lot of tread off the tires.

I worry a bit about Tretter's ability to stay healthy.

run pMc
09-13-2016, 06:50 PM
And here I didn't think Bahk would get $10M from Ted. LOL
Honestly, I didn't think he'd be the priority, although you need a good LT. He's certainly that, although I wouldn't call him elite. Not yet, anyway.

I'm very curious to see how this unfolds with Spriggs and Bulaga, and what domino falls next. I agree with JH's take that you have 2 cheap players starting to keep the costs reasonable on your OL. Spriggs as the swing tackle and Murphy or Patrick takes Lang's spot?

pbmax
09-13-2016, 08:29 PM
We can all agree that Bach, Bulaga, Spriggs and Murphy is about as reassuring the Packer OT position has been in a long time.

Right?

RashanGary
09-13-2016, 10:09 PM
2016 2017 2018
Bahktiari(10) Bahktiari(10) Bahktiari(10)
Taylor(2) Taylor(2) Taylor(4)
Tretter(1) Lindsley(1) Lindsley(5)
Lang(5) Tretter(5) Tretter(5)
Bulaga(7) Bulaga(8) Spriggs(2)

25m 26m 26m

I could see something like this for the next three years.

Pugger
09-13-2016, 11:55 PM
Lang is old too.

28 is too old? (he's gonna be 29 on September 20th).

Pugger
09-13-2016, 11:58 PM
Lang's not that old, though he has worn a lot of tread off the tires.

I worry a bit about Tretter's ability to stay healthy.

If Tretter moves to guard once Linsley returns JC better get into the weight room like Bak did.

RashanGary
09-14-2016, 03:36 AM
28 is too old? (he's gonna be 29 on September 20th).

He'll be 30 next year. But yeah, in football years, that's getting old. If you feel good about his shoulder, I could see him
being a decent piece, but when you have quality 24 year old lineman, I guess I lean toward the youth.

Pugger
09-14-2016, 09:18 AM
I'm not certain but I would think a back issue is lot more concerning for an O lineman than a shoulder injury.

3irty1
09-14-2016, 09:48 AM
I've always considered Lang the quintessential TT offensive lineman and I think Tretter is the closest thing we've had to a second coming since. I could see him as the guard of the future if the talent around him dictated it.

call_me_ishmael
09-14-2016, 10:14 AM
I've always considered Lang the quintessential TT offensive lineman and I think Tretter is the closest thing we've had to a second coming since. I could see him as the guard of the future if the talent around him dictated it.

I'm surprised you think that. He is so skinny and hasn't really seemed to fatten up since being in the league.

3irty1
09-14-2016, 10:27 AM
I'm surprised you think that. He is so skinny and hasn't really seemed to fatten up since being in the league.

My assumption is that if Tretter were told to become TJ Lang he could do it but at some cost to his prospects as a tackle or center. In terms of length, size, athleticism, and demeanor, he's just like TJ Lang before TJ Lang specialized.

call_me_ishmael
09-14-2016, 10:47 AM
My assumption is that if Tretter were told to become TJ Lang he could do it but at some cost to his prospects as a tackle or center. In terms of length, size, athleticism, and demeanor, he's just like TJ Lang before TJ Lang specialized.

That's fair. I am surprised they didn't try to fatten him up this year, knowing they were moving on from a guard or two. I still think he is starting RT next year but we'll see what happens.

Harlan Huckleby
09-14-2016, 01:27 PM
If Tretter moves to guard once Linsley returns JC better get into the weight room like Bak did.

pffffffff. They got a pill for that.