PDA

View Full Version : Poll: How long will Shields be out?

Patler
09-12-2016, 07:49 AM
This article raises some huge concerns, in my opinion. During OTAs in June he was still feeling the lingering effects from his concussion last year? This is a real concern.

http:/http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2016/09/11/sam-shields-being-evaluated-concussion/90237800//

Guiness
09-12-2016, 08:37 AM
This article raises some huge concerns, in my opinion. During OTAs in June he was still feeling the lingering effects from his concussion last year? This is a real concern.

corrected link http:/http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2016/09/11/sam-shields-being-evaluated-concussion/90237800/ (www.greenbaypressgazette.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2016/09/11/sam-shields-being-evaluated-concussion/90237800//)

I can see him being out for a while with this one. Career ending? Hope not.

SkinBasket
09-12-2016, 08:42 AM
I hope he never plays again. He lost his touch. Let the Gunter era begin!

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/adventuretimewithfinnandjake/images/2/22/Gunter_in_Sign.png

Bossman641
09-12-2016, 09:03 AM
I was just thinking the same thing this morning. Let's hope he just got dazed and not actually concussed. After 4 (diagnosed) concussions, you'd have to believe he'd take a serious look at continuing his career.

Patler
09-12-2016, 09:17 AM
corrected link http:/http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2016/09/11/sam-shields-being-evaluated-concussion/90237800/ (www.greenbaypressgazette.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2016/09/11/sam-shields-being-evaluated-concussion/90237800//)

I can see him being out for a while with this one. Career ending? Hope not.

Thanks for correcting the link. I can't figure out what went wrong with my link.

MadScientist
09-12-2016, 10:02 AM
So he passed the concussion protocol in January but was still feeling the effects in June??

I'll go with 3 weeks, but this may well be it.

Patler
09-12-2016, 10:15 AM
So he passed the concussion protocol in January but was still feeling the effects in June??

That is what it seems. Odd.

Smidgeon
09-12-2016, 10:32 AM
I had a rugby player friend in college who had eight concussions. His ninth came when a friend of ours playfully pushed him without knowing someone was standing on his feet (e.g a complete accident). Without being able to stop the fall, he hit his head on concrete. He was still feeling the effects of that concussion ten months later.

Sometimes they last waaay too long.

call_me_ishmael
09-12-2016, 11:40 AM
I was just thinking the same thing this morning. Let's hope he just got dazed and not actually concussed. After 4 (diagnosed) concussions, you'd have to believe he'd take a serious look at continuing his career.

IDK, if I had to trade being dead at 60 to make sure the next several generations of my bloodline are able to get out of the slums and have the opportunity to achieve whatever they want, I'd probably make that deal. 10M a year or however much sticky Sam is making is probably worth it.

Fritz
09-12-2016, 11:51 AM
I don't know why you guys are worried about his personal health and his life. All that matters is that he does what's best for the Green Bay Packers!

Get your ass and your concussed head back out there, kid!

Pugger
09-12-2016, 01:17 PM
He probably won't be back until after the bye. He was out a few weeks the last time. This isn't a good situation for him to get another concussion, gentlemen. :sad:

SkinBasket
09-12-2016, 01:28 PM
IDK, if I had to trade being dead at 60 to make sure the next several generations of my bloodline are able to get out of the slums and have the opportunity to achieve whatever they want, I'd probably make that deal. 10M a year or however much sticky Sam is making is probably worth it.

I'll pay you $100 to give you a concussion.

Problem is, he's not as good as most people remember. Like Sitton, he's living on his past, and the fear that this team doesn't have the depth to either cut ties or lose him. A fear that's been disproven by Ted time and time again.

Carolina_Packer
09-12-2016, 01:42 PM
I wasn't able to watch the game yesterday. Did he get hurt on the TD run by Yeldon? I know it takes the courage of a lion to stick your nose in to make a tackle when a 6'1, 225 lb. guy is barreling right at you. The game speed is probably astonishing when you are on the field. However, when will some of these players learn to not put their head down to make a tackle? Looks like he lowered his head and some part of Yeldon's leg popped him on the side of the helmet as he was going low. Sure, you can form tackle with your head up and still get hurt, but it's more likely you'll get hurt when you use your helmet like a pile driver.

pbmax
09-12-2016, 02:14 PM
I wasn't able to watch the game yesterday. Did he get hurt on the TD run by Yeldon? I know it takes the courage of a lion to stick your nose in to make a tackle when a 6'1, 225 lb. guy is barreling right at you. The game speed is probably astonishing when you are on the field. However, when will some of these players learn to not put their head down to make a tackle? Looks like he lowered his head and some part of Yeldon's leg popped him on the side of the helmet as he was going low. Sure, you can form tackle with your head up and still get hurt, but it's more likely you'll get hurt when you use your helmet like a pile driver.

It was a short yardage play to the Packer D's right. He came down the LOS and stuck his head in there, literally. Might have been short yardage but I don't think it was a touchdown.

texaspackerbacker
09-12-2016, 02:50 PM
What a bunch of nervous nellies! I'll start to worry when there starts to be something to worry about.

Zool
09-12-2016, 02:58 PM
It was a short yardage play to the Packer D's right. He came down the LOS and stuck his head in there, literally. Might have been short yardage but I don't think it was a touchdown.

Guion and Yeldon hit him at the same time. Looked like Guion hit him hardest.

Maxie the Taxi
09-12-2016, 03:00 PM
I wasn't able to watch the game yesterday. Did he get hurt on the TD run by Yeldon? I know it takes the courage of a lion to stick your nose in to make a tackle when a 6'1, 225 lb. guy is barreling right at you. The game speed is probably astonishing when you are on the field. However, when will some of these players learn to not put their head down to make a tackle? Looks like he lowered his head and some part of Yeldon's leg popped him on the side of the helmet as he was going low. Sure, you can form tackle with your head up and still get hurt, but it's more likely you'll get hurt when you use your helmet like a pile driver.Sam was never a really great tackler IMO. You're right about bad form and concussions.

red
09-12-2016, 05:24 PM
he's out at a minimum of 3 weeks i'd say

and he might be done for good imo

PCS really sucks, and if it just took 4 or 5 months to get over that shit the last time, now you have to go through it again? that might be it

plus hes already made around 20 million, that should keep his generations out of the slums for awhile

red
09-13-2016, 07:55 AM
its confirmed, hes concussed

Joemailman
09-13-2016, 08:00 AM
I'll be optimistic and say he misses the next 2 games, and then the bye week.

Am I whistling past the graveyard?

Patler
09-13-2016, 08:09 AM
What a bunch of nervous nellies! I'll start to worry when there starts to be something to worry about.

Who is nervous or worried? Just discussing an apparent injury, with one of the poll options being that he will miss no games as a result. How much nervousness or worry does that involve?

pbmax
09-13-2016, 08:14 AM
Sam was never a really great tackler IMO. You're right about bad form and concussions.

He became a pretty willing one. Sam really upped his game in this area. Not always the best technique though.

Need to bring back Tramontana for tackling lessons.

pbmax
09-13-2016, 08:15 AM
I'll be optimistic and say he misses the next 2 games, and then the bye week.

Am I whistling past the graveyard?

No chance he gets buried before Week 8.

Pugger
09-13-2016, 08:21 AM

There were more than a couple of folks saying Abby shouldn't be out there with his concussion history but not a worry about Sam?

gbgary
09-13-2016, 08:48 AM
won't miss any games...:whist:

Carolina_Packer
09-14-2016, 11:22 AM

OK, I may have the wrong guy. Again, I only got to see highlights, so when I used my DVR to go super slow mo on the play back of Yeldon's TD, it looks like a Packer defender approaches him with his head lowered and after Yeldon scores the TD that same guy is laying on the ground for a period of time. Again, it was a highlight, so I guess whoever it was could have been laying there in frustration of not having prevented the TD, but he looked like he got the worst of the collision.

https://vine.co/v/5JjBv19awH1

Of course, HHCD got it the worst on that one.

Clayish
09-14-2016, 11:25 AM
This just sucks to see.

Fritz
09-14-2016, 11:49 AM

I'm scared, Adrian! I'm scared!

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQrS_FQbs1gFDxljXietmx1wm09qz6Il 0WV1gInZQ_E-pBaHsQ9bw

Guiness
09-14-2016, 03:38 PM
https://vine.co/v/5JjBv19awH1

that looked bad...trying to take his legs out, head first, instead of standing him up.

Carolina_Packer
09-14-2016, 03:48 PM
that looked bad...trying to take his legs out, head first, instead of standing him up.

Per PB, that wasn't the play where he got the concussion. I'm not even sure that the guy who goes in head first is Shields. It's that kind of dangerous tackling form that sent Nick Collins to retirement early. His head went into Jonathan Stewart's considerable-sized thigh when Stewart had a head of steam in the open field and that's all she wrote. I know the game moves fast and there is not always time to get in the best position to make the tackle, but it's a shame more guys still go in with their heads. They would probably say in a film session they are trying to use their shoulder pad. It's hard not to risk your head hitting if you're going to try using your shoulder pad, but for God sakes keep your head up and see what you are hitting.

gbgary
09-14-2016, 05:52 PM

#padlevel

Fritz
09-14-2016, 05:52 PM
Fuck. But maybe the guy we activate off the practice squad will be named Josh T. Fuckdoggle.

Harlan Huckleby
09-16-2016, 10:39 PM
Time for Sam to retire.

Willard
09-16-2016, 11:34 PM

I believe the article implies (albeit awkwardly) that he still felt the effects of last year's concussion when he came back to practice for the playoff game in January, not during this year's OTAs. He relayed this information to reporters during the OTAs.

MadScientist
09-17-2016, 05:29 PM
Papers prepping fans for Shields to retire:
http://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2016/09/16/concussions-could-threaten-sam-shields-career/90493634/

RashanGary
09-17-2016, 06:24 PM
I voted that he's done. It's just a gut feeling.

Patler
10-09-2016, 01:17 AM
Well, it has now been a month, and he won't play this week.
This comment from MM doesn't sound real good, for what he almost said before catching himself:

"I had a chance to visit with Sam," coach Mike McCarthy said Thursday morning. "He’s going through the process. He’s making some improvement. It’s going to be … he will not be available this week."

Last year Joe Haden was out 7 weeks, and then was put on IR.

With Goodsen and Pennel coming back this coming week, maybe its time to put Shields on the shelf for the 6 week minimum, especially if what MM almost said was "IT's going to be a while." Should they should do it before the game tomorrow, so this game will count toward the minimum?

Carolina_Packer
10-09-2016, 09:06 AM
Perhaps this is just his buddy trying to be positive, but the other day Morgan Burnett said that Shields is not done.

http://gnb.247sports.com/Bolt/Morgan-Burnett-says-Sam-Shields-career-is-not-over--47996988

bobblehead
10-09-2016, 11:46 AM
There were more than a couple of folks saying Abby shouldn't be out there with his concussion history but not a worry about Sam?

RACIST!!!

Patler
10-09-2016, 01:05 PM
Perhaps this is just his buddy trying to be positive, but the other day Morgan Burnett said that Shields is not done.

http://gnb.247sports.com/Bolt/Morgan-Burnett-says-Sam-Shields-career-is-not-over--47996988

Not exactly. He said SHields remains passionate and wants to play, but then he goes on to say:

"I don't know what he's going through. Sam can only determine how he feels. I respect him like a brother, I care about him like a brother. Whatever decision he rolls with, I know he's going to make the best decision for himself and his family. I support him 100 percent."

red
10-09-2016, 01:20 PM
he's done imo

Harlan Huckleby
10-09-2016, 03:42 PM
he's done imo

I already composed a post calling you a girly-man and loser for weighing-in a month late on this poll. Then I checked and you said the same thing on day one. So you're spared from my swift and terrible wrath - for now.

red
10-09-2016, 04:03 PM
i'm not a flip flopper

i'm a straight shooter with upper management written all over me

Cheesehead Craig
02-08-2017, 09:41 AM
Turns out he is done, at least with GB. They have let him know that he's being released.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18644975/cornerback-sam-shields-says-released-green-bay-packers

pbmax
02-08-2017, 09:49 AM
Turns out he is done, at least with GB. They have let him know that he's being released.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18644975/cornerback-sam-shields-says-released-green-bay-packers

Loved having him on the team. Loved watching him play. Did everything he was asked except to be careful shipping pot from out of state. Improved him tackling.

Bad technique probably cost him a concussion or two. But he was always willing to give it a go.

pbmax
02-08-2017, 10:36 AM
http://www.scout.com/nfl/packers/story/1753508-packers-release-shields

Throw in $500,000 of roster bonuses and a $500,000 workout bonus, the release of Shields will create $9 million of salary-cap space. Shields’ cap charge was set to be $12.125 million. The final year of prorated signing bonus — $3.125 million — will count against the cap as dead money.

Paired with the release of running back James Starks on Tuesday, the Packers have created an additional $12 million in cap space this week. That gives the team almost $43 million of cap space, based on OverTheCap.com’s projection of a $168 million salary cap for 2017.

That seems like a lot of money — and it is — but it still ranks only 13th.

With that stash of money, Green Bay not only has to tend to its own free agents — a list headed by T.J. Lang, Jared Cook and Nick Perry and 2013 draft picks Datone Jones, Eddie Lacy, J.C. Tretter and Micah Hyde — but it has to build a roster. According to Over the Cap, the Packers have 47 players under contract. Only two teams have fewer.

Rutnstrut
02-08-2017, 11:05 AM
Now if they get rid of clay and I will believe that TT actually wants to do something to win.

Carolina_Packer
02-08-2017, 11:12 AM
Rut, he gutted it out this past year. He hasn't fallen off the cliff, he was playing (not nearly as effectively) through injury this year. Dems the facts. I don't think it's time to cut ties with Clay yet.

Rutnstrut
02-08-2017, 11:28 AM
Rut, he gutted it out this past year. He hasn't fallen off the cliff, he was playing (not nearly as effectively) through injury this year. Dems the facts. I don't think it's time to cut ties with Clay yet.

He's just not that good, injured or not. Now if he took a considerable pay cut.

Deputy Nutz
02-08-2017, 11:54 AM
I'll pay you $100 to give you a concussion.

Problem is, he's not as good as most people remember. Like Sitton, he's living on his past, and the fear that this team doesn't have the depth to either cut ties or lose him. A fear that's been disproven by Ted time and time again.

Boy do you look stupid now!

texaspackerbacker
02-08-2017, 02:15 PM
Shields and Matthews, of course, would both be about equally hard to replace. The big difference is that it was highly unlikely Shields would ever be back and healthy. Even though Matthews has had injuries, there is every reason to expect him to at least start next season 100% healthy. I'm for keeping him.

Tony Oday
02-08-2017, 02:24 PM
He's just not that good, injured or not. Now if he took a considerable pay cut.

You are just flat out wrong. When he is healthy he is a dominate force out there. Hopefully he can stay healthy and not take cheap shots.

Zool
02-08-2017, 02:46 PM
Sorry Sam. We hardly knew ya.

http://wearedone.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/forkdonetee.jpg