PDA

View Full Version : This is a Different Packers Team

RashanGary
09-12-2016, 11:28 AM
Ha Ha Clinton Dix looked faster, more confident and has always looked strong and good at tackling

Damarious Randall looked really good. Fast, explosive, confident, aggressive

Bahktiari looked really, really good. He just stymied his guy play after play

Lacy is back to looking like Eddie Lacy.

Taylor/Tretter/Lang looked good. We may have lost something with Sitton, but we gained something with Tretter's improvement. As a whole, I don't think there's much different between last years interior and this years.

Nick Perry and Datone Jones looked active and disruptive

I wasn't overly impressed with the WR's. I don't think Rodgers really trusts any of them at this point. The DL is thin. Let's hope we can make it till Pennel comes back. The ILB's are just guys. Joe Thomas is the only one I thought looked active.

This team does have balance though. Rodgers is very good. Lacy is a damn good runner again. The OL is strong. The defense is strong. The ST's look solid.

We don't really have old, declining players. Nobody who played well for us last year looks to be declining this year. The Packers do look like an improved team based on growth from within and much happening to cause decline. This looks like a very complete team. We just need a receiving weapon to emerge as a go-to guy for Rodgers and I think the Packers are looking tough to beat.

Patler
09-12-2016, 11:59 AM
Nick Perry is playing decisively, with confidence. It started last year, and seems to be continuing. Strong son of gun.

Maxie the Taxi
09-12-2016, 12:33 PM
I agree with the thrust of your opinion JH. There is a lot to like about this team. The defense looked very aggressive and active. I disagree about the ILB's. None of the young guys is a true "thumper," but they were all over the field. Martinez IMO is going to be a good one. Very smart. Good blitzer. Able tackler. Ryan still reminds me of a young AJ Hawk, which isn't all that bad.

One of the biggest hurdles we have to overcome IMO is still game management. The unforced errors of calling unnecessary TO's and relying on the shaky hurry up offense is disappointing and can't be chalked up to 1st game rust. The troubles have taken up where they left off last year.

And conservative Stubby still has more confidence in the run game than he should have. It was generally pathetic with a few exceptions. Stubby needs to get more aggressive and rely more on our MVP QB and our revived WR contingent when it comes to Red Zone scoring and making 1st downs at the end of the game.

What's scary is we escaped with a win which just as easily could have been a loss. And if we had lost the picture we paint today would certainly be less rosy.

Smidgeon
09-12-2016, 01:08 PM
Until Jordy proves he's back, we need a #1 receiver (the x, y, or z--whomever lines up on the line of scrimmage on the outside and consistently outmuscles the opponents on releases). And if he does, he's on the wrong side of 30. So they need an up-and-comer. In all honesty, as much as I'd like it to be eventually Janis, Adams is the only one on the roster besides Jordy to play that outside role.

Next year, GB gunna need a big WR in the draft.

Tony Oday
09-12-2016, 02:18 PM
Need to get Dick and Cook in the game.

Carolina_Packer
09-12-2016, 02:24 PM
Maxie, you mentioned no thumper. Do you think that is the result of them playing so much nickel that they need more cover guys?

texaspackerbacker
09-12-2016, 02:42 PM
Careful, JH, somebody's gonna call you an optimist or a homer or something. Since people usually call me that, I'm gonna do my best to point out the negative side.

Julius Peppers didn't do crap - Datone was clearly an improvement. Clay either wasn't as active or the Jags just figured him out better in the second half. Quentin Reynolds needs to play outside, not slot corner. I'm not sure Gunter is the solution there either. Burnett made a few good plays but more bad ones. Jared Cook wasn't as good as I expected. The O Line was good because we have been conditioned to not expect much. The new punter was a little bit disappointing. Starks was a big drop off from Lacy.

I too, of course, want to see a LOT of Janis as a receiver, without the club, maybe even with it. Abbrederis too; Montgomery not so much.

Zool
09-12-2016, 02:55 PM
What's scary is we escaped with a win which just as easily could have been a loss. And if we had lost the picture we paint today would certainly be less rosy.

You could also say that on the road, in the heat, the team played less than their best and came away with a win.

Maxie the Taxi
09-12-2016, 02:55 PM
Maxie, you mentioned no thumper. Do you think that is the result of them playing so much nickel that they need more cover guys?Makes sense. I wasn't saying we need a thumper, I was just saying. I think the best compromise nowadays is a guy like Luke Keukle at Carolina. Cover guy and sure tackler. This may be what we have in Martinez.

Harlan Huckleby
09-12-2016, 03:19 PM
You could also say that on the road, in the heat, the team played less than their best and came away with a win.

I agree with the half-full perspective here because it was a glorified preseason game. A ragged game six weeks in would be worrying. I saw no major breakdowns in any of the position groups. Inside linebackers look like new strength compared to recent years.

pbmax
09-12-2016, 03:28 PM
I will also say this was a slightly different offense.

McCarthy ran some receiver stacks, substituted entire personnel groups and ran a few combo routes to get guys open. Fundamentals or not, he helped his offense much more yesterday than many points last year. Still very little motion though.

red
09-12-2016, 05:31 PM
Ha Ha Clinton Dix looked faster, more confident and has always looked strong and good at tackling

Damarious Randall looked really good. Fast, explosive, confident, aggressive

Bahktiari looked really, really good. He just stymied his guy play after play

Lacy is back to looking like Eddie Lacy.

Taylor/Tretter/Lang looked good. We may have lost something with Sitton, but we gained something with Tretter's improvement. As a whole, I don't think there's much different between last years interior and this years.

Nick Perry and Datone Jones looked active and disruptive

I wasn't overly impressed with the WR's. I don't think Rodgers really trusts any of them at this point. The DL is thin. Let's hope we can make it till Pennel comes back. The ILB's are just guys. Joe Thomas is the only one I thought looked active.

This team does have balance though. Rodgers is very good. Lacy is a damn good runner again. The OL is strong. The defense is strong. The ST's look solid.

We don't really have old, declining players. Nobody who played well for us last year looks to be declining this year. The Packers do look like an improved team based on growth from within and much happening to cause decline. This looks like a very complete team. We just need a receiving weapon to emerge as a go-to guy for Rodgers and I think the Packers are looking tough to beat.

how is eddy looking any better then he did last year

he's the same size!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

he had a few decent runs and one nice one, but he was caught from behind again by 2 guys

i don't see the huge difference everyone keeps talking about non stop. "oh the packers said he lost a lot of weight, he must have"

and i would say peppers is an old declining player. if you needed cap space, THIS is the guy you should have cut. especially with all the depth we have at OLB

edit* peppers only played 29 of of 72 snaps. cm3 (53), perry(52) and datone(40) all had more. not great for a guy counting 10.5 million against our cap this year

our secondary had a rough day yesterday, they did not look anywhere near as good as they were suppose to be

joe thomas had to good plays, at the start of the game and the end, and did little else the rest of the game

and i thought the ILB's looked much better then they have in recent years

red
09-12-2016, 05:39 PM
Until Jordy proves he's back, we need a #1 receiver (the x, y, or z--whomever lines up on the line of scrimmage on the outside and consistently outmuscles the opponents on releases). And if he does, he's on the wrong side of 30. So they need an up-and-comer. In all honesty, as much as I'd like it to be eventually Janis, Adams is the only one on the roster besides Jordy to play that outside role.

Next year, GB gunna need a big WR in the draft.

unfortuntly, adams seems to be picking up with the same kind of stat line he had last year

3 receptions off 7 targets for the game

red
09-12-2016, 05:41 PM
Need to get Dick and Cook in the game.

dickrod with 3 targets, cook with 2

thats not gonna cut it

red
09-12-2016, 05:43 PM
Careful, JH, somebody's gonna call you an optimist or a homer or something. Since people usually call me that, I'm gonna do my best to point out the negative side.

Julius Peppers didn't do crap - Datone was clearly an improvement. Clay either wasn't as active or the Jags just figured him out better in the second half. Quentin Reynolds needs to play outside, not slot corner. I'm not sure Gunter is the solution there either. Burnett made a few good plays but more bad ones. Jared Cook wasn't as good as I expected. The O Line was good because we have been conditioned to not expect much. The new punter was a little bit disappointing. Starks was a big drop off from Lacy.

I too, of course, want to see a LOT of Janis as a receiver, without the club, maybe even with it. Abbrederis too; Montgomery not so much.

rollins

he did have a rough game

King Friday
09-12-2016, 06:49 PM
unfortuntly, adams seems to be picking up with the same kind of stat line he had last year

3 receptions off 7 targets for the game

His TD catch was the turning point of the game. Adams is never going to become a consistent possession receiver...he needs to be guy who comes up with the big plays when available. Yesterday, he succeeded.

red
09-12-2016, 06:56 PM
His TD catch was the turning point of the game. Adams is never going to become a consistent possession receiver...he needs to be guy who comes up with the big plays when available. Yesterday, he succeeded.

he also ran a piss poor route, and dropped a pass soon after

someone in the game day thread summed it up best on his one really nice catch, when they asked how/way he could catch that, but not the easy ones

if he is gonna continue to run the wrong routes and drop passes, a-rod is gonna look away from him like he did last year

gbgary
09-12-2016, 07:01 PM
that game yesterday was pretty much what i expected for summer game in fla. rust from vets not playing in preseason.
jordy was gassed. he's not in true football shape yet. he's good enough to play but he's not 100%. i expect him to get better as the year goes on. when we see one of his slants go the distance we'll know he's back.

pbmax
09-12-2016, 09:44 PM
Best part about Adams right now is that his head is still in it. Last year he look desultory at times. Like there was nothing he could think to do to improve on the situation.

Yesterday he despite struggling he looked enthusiastic. He is still working on breaking through whatever is plaguing him. I suspect that is what keeps Rodgers throwing to him.

Upnorth
09-13-2016, 10:12 AM
I was far from impressed with our passing game on sunday, however if we can get just a slightly more consistent run game it will be a large improvement over last year imo.

Out of everything I saw what I liked the most was Martinez solid play. No massive plays, but no screwups either, and in his first NFL game, the no screw ups impresses me, unless he was in far less downs than I thought he was...

Maxie the Taxi
09-13-2016, 10:23 AM
I was far from impressed with our passing game on sunday, however if we can get just a slightly more consistent run game it will be a large improvement over last year imo.

Out of everything I saw what I liked the most was Martinez solid play. No massive plays, but no screwups either, and in his first NFL game, the no screw ups impresses me, unless he was in far less downs than I thought he was...+1

I think he played most the snaps. He had the communication headset. That in itself is remarkable for a guy whose just out of college.

Maxie the Taxi
09-13-2016, 10:30 AM
Martinez played 47 out of a total of 72 defensive snaps.

Clayish
09-13-2016, 10:35 AM
We have the pieces to make SB run. We just need to put it all together (and stay healthy).

Patler
09-13-2016, 10:53 AM
I've watched Adams drop on the long pass several times. That ball was in a difficult spot. Adams did a heck of a job getting into position to make the catch, then didn't come down with it. I think it would have looked like a much more difficult play and a much more excusable drop for a lot of players without Adam's jumping ability and body control while in the air. He made it look like an easier catch than it really was. I'm not excusing the drop, it pretty much hit him in the hands, but I do want to appreciate what he did accomplish in trying to make the catch. Hopefully he will start finish plays all the way through.

Maxie the Taxi
09-13-2016, 11:01 AM
^^^I'd rather be Adams in the film room than Kenny Stills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3_4GZKK8t8

Smidgeon
09-13-2016, 12:32 PM
he also ran a piss poor route, and dropped a pass soon after

someone in the game day thread summed it up best on his one really nice catch, when they asked how/way he could catch that, but not the easy ones

if he is gonna continue to run the wrong routes and drop passes, a-rod is gonna look away from him like he did last year

Reminds me of James Jones.

Joemailman
09-13-2016, 05:49 PM
+1

I think he played most the snaps. He had the communication headset. That in itself is remarkable for a guy whose just out of college.

Snap counts: http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2016/9/12/12888126/packers-week-1-snap-counts-randall-cobb-datone-jones-julius-peppers-quinten-rollins

Fritz
09-13-2016, 06:05 PM
I think Adams will be fine. I do. That touchdown catch was big, and I think it will spur him. He needed a positive, and if I were Getsy, I'd praise him up and down and watch him go out of the lockerroom, spitting nails and saying "Goddamnit, I'm gonna show that Bretsy muthafugga! Fresno Fraud my ass!"

Because they all read Packerrats. You know they do.

Maxie the Taxi
09-13-2016, 07:16 PM
I think Adams will be fine. I do. That touchdown catch was big, and I think it will spur him. He needed a positive, and if I were Getsy, I'd praise him up and down and watch him go out of the lockerroom, spitting nails and saying "Goddamnit, I'm gonna show that Bretsy muthafugga! Fresno Fraud my ass!"

Because they all read Packerrats. You know they do.I've already renamed him The Fresno Freak.:idea:

hoosier
09-13-2016, 07:47 PM
I've watched Adams drop on the long pass several times. That ball was in a difficult spot. Adams did a heck of a job getting into position to make the catch, then didn't come down with it. I think it would have looked like a much more difficult play and a much more excusable drop for a lot of players without Adam's jumping ability and body control while in the air. He made it look like an easier catch than it really was. I'm not excusing the drop, it pretty much hit him in the hands, but I do want to appreciate what he did accomplish in trying to make the catch. Hopefully he will start finish plays all the way through.

Good point. And even then the ball still only hit his finger tips.

gbgary
09-14-2016, 10:29 AM
espn has the Packers ranked #1 in their power rankings (up from #6) above ne, pit, and sea. i don't think they're at that point yet but they could legitimately be there later depending on how things progress.

Clayish
09-14-2016, 11:22 AM
espn has the Packers ranked #1 in their power rankings (up from #6) above ne, pit, and sea. i don't think they're at that point yet but they could legitimately be there later depending on how things progress.

Next week will be a good test for the defensive line (containing AD) and I'd very much like to see some of that 2014 style offense. If they win convincingly, the #1 spot is valid.

texaspackerbacker
09-14-2016, 12:54 PM

That must have more to do with some other teams not looking as good as expected, as the Packers didn't exactly set the world on fire against a pretty mediocre opponent. Beating the Vikings convincingly would solidify the #1 - which I do believe is valid. Beating them close really wouldn't prove much, but a win is a win is a win just the same.

Pugger
09-14-2016, 12:58 PM
I don't think Jacksonville is a mediocre opponent. MN was the team playing against a truly poor opponent at home. Had TN not turned the ball over I wonder who would have won that game. The Vike's offense wasn't very effective to say the least.

I don't believe we are the best team in the league presently either. Most would go with NE but had AZ's kicker made that FG at the end of the game they'd probably be #1 instead.

gbgary
09-14-2016, 05:56 PM
That must have more to do with some other teams not looking as good as expected...

pit and ne were ahead of the Packers initially and they both had much more impressive wins last weekend so i don't understand the dramatic jump in our rating and their drop. probably just being shock-jocks again.

Maxie the Taxi
09-14-2016, 06:13 PM
pit and ne were ahead of the Packers initially and they both had much more impressive wins last weekend so i don't understand the dramatic jump in our rating and their drop. probably just being shock-jocks again.Steelers played huge. NFL.com has the rankings: New England, Broncos, Packers, Steelers...

smuggler
09-14-2016, 07:29 PM
Gotta think Steelers and Pats should be ahead at this point. Only 3 more games without Brady before he comes back pissed.