PDA

View Full Version : Packers agreed to terms with LT David Bakhtiari on a 4-year extension worth up to $51.67M

Clayish
09-13-2016, 08:42 AM
https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/775687376270163968

Thoughts?

pbmax
09-13-2016, 08:55 AM
That is Top 5 money if its all real. I would not have put Bach in that territory. However, having the position manned by a capable young starter is worth a lot.

I remember nothing about Back from Sunday, which for an O lineman is a good thing.

pbmax
09-13-2016, 09:02 AM
Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 10m10 minutes ago
Bakhtiari deal: about $17M fully guaranteed at signing and $10.7M in roster and w/o bonuses, all of which he will probably earn, source said

Clayish
09-13-2016, 09:05 AM
That is Top 5 money if its all real. I would not have put Bach in that territory. However, having the position manned by a capable young starter is worth a lot.

I remember nothing about Back from Sunday, which for an O lineman is a good thing.

Not sure how this board feels about Bakh, he seems to be a very polarizing player with Packer fans, but I think he's a very solid LT. TT loves overpaying his own free agents, but I'm not mad at this.

call_me_ishmael
09-13-2016, 09:06 AM
I, too, think is a very solid left tackle. Love seeing this signing happen early, put that Sitton money to good use :)

red
09-13-2016, 09:48 AM
Jesus fucking Christ

Cheesehead Craig
09-13-2016, 09:54 AM
Not sure how this board feels about Bakh, he seems to be a very polarizing player with Packer fans, but I think he's a very solid LT. TT loves overpaying his own free agents, but I'm not mad at this.

Who has he really overpaid?

Upnorth
09-13-2016, 09:56 AM
I like Bac, but this seems high...

Patler
09-13-2016, 10:08 AM

For now, but a couple years from now it probably will not seem high.
Some are prdicting another big jump in the salary cap.

Clayish
09-13-2016, 10:29 AM

Someone else would have paid more for him, most likely. I'm glad we locked him up.

hoosier
09-13-2016, 10:47 AM
This isn't overpaying now and in a few years Bahk will be threatening to sit out unless Packers redo his vastly outdated contract.

Pugger
09-13-2016, 10:50 AM

I've never been under the impression David was a polarizing player on this or any other other board. He had his struggles early on but has been playing well lately.

Patler
09-13-2016, 11:02 AM
It must be nice being David Bakhtiari right now. Four years ago he was just getting into his final college season, probably wondering if he would have an NFL chance or not, and if he would be good enough to make it if he did have the chance. Three years ago he was facing a sink or swim opportunity when he became the best option after Bulaga wrecked his knee. Today he is financially set for life.

ThunderDan
09-13-2016, 11:04 AM
Jesus fucking Christ

Well ... TT finally signs someone to a long-term extension.

Pugger
09-13-2016, 11:18 AM
Well ... TT finally signs someone to a long-term extension.

Yes, its been 9 long months since he did that with Mike Daniels.

RashanGary
09-13-2016, 11:18 AM
It's 4 New Years with 51 max of new money. It's actually a 5 year deal worth about 50. 10 per for a solid LT is a very good deal!!!

Rutnstrut
09-13-2016, 11:25 AM
Way overpaying for a mediocre at best player.

gbgary
09-13-2016, 11:41 AM

don't agree. slightly would be a better discription...which in a couple of years may seem cheap...if he's even on the team then.

Bossman641
09-13-2016, 11:52 AM

Just curious, are there any current packers you do like?

texaspackerbacker
09-13-2016, 11:54 AM
Put me down as agreeing with the "he overpaid" crowd. Clearly Bakhtiari took his off-season instructions to heart, put on added muscle, and has played some better than last season, but gosh, he was awful last season, and with the improvement, I still doubt he is above average. They really seem to put a premium on going along to get along. My gut feeling is that leads to overall mediocrity, and the only reason they can get away with it at so many position groups is that Aaron Rodgers is so damn good that he masks a plethora of weaknesses.

Rutnstrut
09-13-2016, 12:10 PM
Just curious, are there any current packers you do like?

Rodgers, Lacy, Jordy, Janis, Abbrederis, Starks,Cobb,Linsley, Tretter, Lang, Daniels, Guion, Fackrell, Martinez, Joe Thomas, Crosby.

Patler
09-13-2016, 12:13 PM

I kinda figured you would be impressed!! :lol:

gbgary
09-13-2016, 12:14 PM
Put me down as agreeing with the "he overpaid" crowd. Clearly Bakhtiari took his off-season instructions to heart, put on added muscle, and has played some better than last season, but gosh, he was awful last season, and with the improvement, I still doubt he is above average. They really seem to put a premium on going along to get along. My gut feeling is that leads to overall mediocrity, and the only reason they can get away with it at so many position groups is that Aaron Rodgers is so damn good that he masks a plethora of weaknesses.

and he got healthy. last year he was hurt and fought through it.

Patler
09-13-2016, 12:16 PM
I thought he played well last year in spite of his injuries.

Cheesehead Craig
09-13-2016, 12:21 PM
Will be interesting to see how PFF rates him come end of the season.

I for one like the deal.

vince
09-13-2016, 12:29 PM
It's 4 New Years with 51 max of new money. It's actually a 5 year deal worth about 50. 10 per for a solid LT is a very good deal!!!Wow Tightwad Ted strikes again! I agree with those who have said if they'd have waited for him to test the market he'd have gotten more.

RashanGary
09-13-2016, 02:32 PM
The Packers have multiple players who can play every other position on the OL. They have one player who can play LT. People assuming a 2nd round pick from Indiana can play LT are assuming against the odds. There are 15 players in the NFL who can do it. Bahk is one of them. 10m is a good rate. Locking him up is a good move. That's my view.

Joemailman
09-13-2016, 05:13 PM

Brad Jones.

run pMc
09-13-2016, 07:10 PM
Brad Jones.

A.J Hawk
before the contract renegotiation.

run pMc
09-13-2016, 07:14 PM
It's not a bad extension, $10M per. I just figured with Spriggs on the roster they'd look elsewhere to extend players.

I consider Bahk a good but not great (and certainly not elite) LT...maybe this year he takes it up a notch.
He's been pretty dependable, and I don't want to see them march Barclay or their LG out there to play tackle in a winner-take-division contest.

It seems like a lot of money, but I guess I'm kind of meh about it. He's 24 and can play LT...that's worth something.

Bretsky
09-13-2016, 08:07 PM

Brad Jones

King Friday
09-13-2016, 09:22 PM
The salary cap, and therefore contracts in general, are going up as others have mentioned. This contract, over the next 5 years, will represent a very good but not elite LT.

For the most part, I think that is an adequate definition of Bakh...he's never going to be one of the top 3 or 4 LTs in the game, but when healthy he's solidly in that second tier. $10M per year in the second tier at a premium position is a reasonable price. The Packers didn't get a bargain, but I don't feel that we overpaid either.

This is one of the primary reasons why Sitton was let go. Resigning the younger guys that we want to keep is going to be EXPENSIVE, and cramming as much of that cash into 2016 is only going to help down the road. Those who sit around and think we can sign up every player at a ridiculous hometown discount needs to have their head examined.

Patler
09-13-2016, 11:27 PM
Brad Jones is an example of the Packers really overpaying someone? 3 years at 3.75 million/year on a contract that allowed the Packers to get out at any time and save against the salary cap? He had started the final 10 games the year before.

Man, you guys are a tough group! :-)

Pugger
09-13-2016, 11:52 PM
I thought he played well last year in spite of his injuries.

And the O line struggled mightily when he wasn't in there.

SkinBasket
09-14-2016, 07:24 AM
Brad Jones is an example of the Packers really overpaying someone? 3 years at 3.75 million/year on a contract that allowed the Packers to get out at any time and save against the salary cap? He had started the final 10 games the year before.

Yeah, if we're digging that deep, then I'll say Atari Bigby for being paid anything more than a soda and a candy bar.

Cheesehead Craig
09-14-2016, 07:58 AM

Man, you guys are a tough group! :-)

No shit. That's the best that can be done apparently. Still haven't heard from the originator of the quote, clayish on who he thinks was overpaid to make the comment he did.

3irty1
09-14-2016, 08:11 AM
For now, but a couple years from now it probably will not seem high.
Some are prdicting another big jump in the salary cap.

This.

I like Bak, but the only thing elite about him has been the value he brought. He appears to be getting fair market value as a solid starter playing a premium position.

Pugger
09-14-2016, 09:15 AM
If we let Bak walk at the end of the season after letting Sitton go Ted would be tarred and feathered by quite a few fans. Ted signs him for perhaps a tad less than David might have gotten on the open market and some aren't happy about it. Ted is damned he if does and damned if he doesn't in some quarters.

pbmax
09-14-2016, 01:00 PM
Yeah, if we're digging that deep, then I'll say Atari Bigby for being paid anything more than a soda and a candy bar.

I swear to God that I remember him hitting someone hard once. Maybe twice.

Guiness
09-14-2016, 01:07 PM
I swear to God that I remember him hitting someone hard once. Maybe twice.

Like this one? Buress was not a small guy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-HJYmFfSTA