PDA

View Full Version : Adrian Peterson has a torn meniscus

Patler
09-19-2016, 02:19 PM
according to this report:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17588540/minnesota-vikings-running-back-adrian-peterson-torn-meniscus-right-knee

gbgary
09-20-2016, 09:09 AM
torn cartilage means he'll need to be scoped. he won't play for a couple of weeks or more i bet.

Harlan Huckleby
09-20-2016, 10:53 AM
You have to wonder if it is retirement time for AP. He is beat up, not the same guy. He did have a spectacular comeback from major surgery, but he might be hitting a wall.

Harlan Huckleby
09-20-2016, 11:05 AM
torn cartilage means he'll need to be scoped. he won't play for a couple of weeks or more i bet.

The way he has been playing, there is no need to rush him back on the field.

hoosier
09-20-2016, 11:06 AM
You have to wonder if it is retirement time for AP. He is beat up, not the same guy. He did have a spectacular comeback from major surgery, but he might be hitting a wall.

One is only as old as one feels. Chronology is a poor measure of greatness. Marcus Allen played till he was 37, no reason AP cannot go another six years.

Smidgeon
09-20-2016, 11:07 AM

Before the injury on Sunday, I was wondering the same thing.

Harlan Huckleby
09-20-2016, 11:09 AM
One is only as old as one feels. Chronology is a poor measure of greatness. Marcus Allen played till he was 37, no reason AP cannot go another six years.

heee heee heee. Proof is in the pudding. So far its been lumpy pudding this year. I guess I see Peterson so depending on power and his frantic energy that it makes it seem like he is playing a young man's hand. He runs over people, takes hits. Of course Walter Payton also was superhuman and played to 57 or so. I'd hate to see Peterson hang-on as just an average back.

Cheesehead Craig
09-20-2016, 11:12 AM
AP wants to be paid like a superstar though, that may be why he ends up out of the league. I don't see him as a hanger-on in a limited role. He wants to be the star back and won't take anything less.

Rastak
09-20-2016, 11:41 AM
AP wants to be paid like a superstar though, that may be why he ends up out of the league. I don't see him as a hanger-on in a limited role. He wants to be the star back and won't take anything less.

That very well could be.

Anti-Polar Bear
09-20-2016, 11:53 AM
I agree with the Marcus Allen comparison.

When the Switch Hitter's speed is gone and his youth, withered, he could still make a great short yardage back. Unlike Lacy and Starks, AP knows-and will certainly still know in the future-how to gain a yard when a yard is needed against an 11-men boxing defense.

pbmax
09-20-2016, 03:19 PM
heee heee heee. Proof is in the pudding. So far its been lumpy pudding this year. I guess I see Peterson so depending on power and his frantic energy that it makes it seem like he is playing a young man's hand. He runs over people, takes hits. Of course Walter Payton also was superhuman and played to 57 or so. I'd hate to see Peterson hang-on as just an average back.

Marcus Allen sat on the Raider bench for three years as Al Davis refused to play him after he asked for a new contract. He was on ice, not injured like AP.

Waiting for the next Walter Payton would be like waiting for the next Jim Brown. Good luck.

Cheesehead Craig
09-21-2016, 10:31 AM
AP is getting surgery to repair it. Will be out 3-4 weeks.

vince
09-21-2016, 10:36 AM
AP is getting surgery to repair it. Will be out 3-4 weeks.3-4 MONTHS I'm reading...

Cheesehead Craig
09-21-2016, 10:49 AM
Whoops, my bad. It is months. Not sure why the hell I typed weeks.

I think his time in MN is done. Too injury prone and making too much $$.

hoosier
09-21-2016, 11:12 AM
Yeah, he carries an $18M cap hit for 2017. Zero chance that the Vikings keep him at that price.

swede
09-21-2016, 11:50 AM
AP is getting surgery to repair it. Will be out 3-4 weeks.

3-4 MONTHS I'm reading...

Often they just snip out the ragged edges of the meniscus and play again in 4-6 weeks.

Repairing it is a different deal. Probably more invasive and not a lot of blood flow in cartilage to promote healing.

The meniscus must have been terribly compromised in order to make this decision. I am surprised I feel bad for him, but I do. He is an old man who only had a few good games left. Poof. Gone.

gbgary
09-21-2016, 11:57 AM
i knew it. min saying he might play with a torn meniscus was pure folly. must be big tear for it to be 3-4 months. they might as well put him on ir and sign/trade somebody.

SkinBasket
09-21-2016, 11:59 AM
Karma for beating your child and not caring that another one died. I hope he dies lonely and full of pain.

beveaux1
09-21-2016, 01:21 PM
This article was written right after the game. http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/monday-morning-md-running-back-carnage/

Dr. Chao talks about a locked up knee and how surgery is usually warranted. He's an excellent source for injury news and is almost always right just from watching game film. He usually posts on Monday morning.

pbmax
09-21-2016, 03:53 PM
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 2m2 minutes ago
In addition to have torn meniscus, Adrian Peterson also has a torn lateral collateral ligament, team source tells @JeffDarlington and me.

A literal tear in your lateral collateral ligament is a figurative and literal nightmare.

Maxie the Taxi
09-21-2016, 04:02 PM
Does anyone know if the injury was due to contact, or was it a Jordy-type, non-contact injury?

Cheesehead Craig
09-21-2016, 04:31 PM
I think it was a combo platter. Pb said he thought it was when he planted his foot right before he was tackled. The tackle made things worse.

Zool
09-21-2016, 04:42 PM
Does anyone know if the injury was due to contact, or was it a Jordy-type, non-contact injury?

If you watch the replay you can see him plant on his right foot and hyper-extend the right knee. On the next step he's grabbed from behind and pulled down.