PDA

View Full Version : Punting performance

Patler
09-20-2016, 06:31 AM
I have seen lots of people already demanding the head of our new punter. While I know he had a bad one at an inopportune time, he does have some things in his favor (based on a very small sample size):

- at 40.3 yards, his net average is 14th in the league.
- his net average is 0.1 more than Masthay's team record from last year
- of his 9 punts, only one has been returned, compared to 41 of 81 for Masthay last year.

vince
09-20-2016, 07:02 AM
They're right to focus on net average since that's the bottom line. The perception thar he's not getting it done is widespread. Not great but above average and forcing no return. He's not quite as precise with the pooch inside the 20 as hopefully he'll get but better than masthay at a third of the cost is a net gain. Thanks for bringing the facts patler.

pbmax
09-20-2016, 08:02 AM
Right now I am a little worried about the variation. He was booming them in Jacksonville. He hit one 44 yarder in Minnesota but averaged 38.6 overall.

In Jax, it was 46/56.

I wonder if Zook ordered a Code Red (directional kicking) more in the 2nd game.

KYPack
09-20-2016, 08:26 AM
Sunday, he just looked shaky, not confident.

He boomed 'em outside in Jax, then looked tentative indoors in Minny.

He makes ya nervous.

gbgary
09-20-2016, 08:43 AM
Sunday, he just looked shaky, not confident.

He boomed 'em outside in Jax, then looked tentative indoors in Minny.

He makes ya nervous.

i didn't really notice that. i'm good with no returns. no complaints from me.

Carolina_Packer
09-20-2016, 08:49 AM
He's no Derrick Frost or B.J. Sander, but let's be patient.

Pugger
09-20-2016, 09:27 AM
Punting is the least of our concerns right now. :-(

pbmax
09-20-2016, 10:08 AM
Punting is the least of our concerns right now. :-(

Yeah but field position is.

Upnorth
09-20-2016, 10:18 AM
He boomed them in Jacksonville when against a team whose special teams ranked 20th in dvoa last year. The vikings ranked 4th in dvoa last year. I expected our special teams to be worse last week, so one shank is forgivable. However this guy is new so lets hope he improves.

As an aside, I realize dvoa is not the be all end all but it is a far better judge of special teams ability than I am.

Patler
09-20-2016, 10:33 AM
Right now I am a little worried about the variation. He was booming them in Jacksonville. He hit one 44 yarder in Minnesota but averaged 38.6 overall.

In Jax, it was 46/56.

I wonder if Zook ordered a Code Red (directional kicking) more in the 2nd game.

I think they were concerned about MN's return game, and on the opposite side it seemed almost that Hyde was under instructions to fair catch, regardless. His calls were often very early, and a couple were made without a lot of coverage pressure in his face. It looked like they didn't want to take any chances.

Harlan Huckleby
09-20-2016, 11:06 AM
I have a theory that anybody who participants in a thread about punting is a loser. Scanning through, I'm standing firm with my bias. Just how I feel about it.

Patler
09-20-2016, 11:41 AM
I have a theory that anybody who participants in a thread about punting is a loser. Scanning through, I'm standing firm with my bias. Just how I feel about it.

Nice to see you in this thread HH. Your participation is always welcomed!

Rastak
09-20-2016, 11:43 AM
Nice to see you in this thread HH. Your participation is always welcomed!

I would never join a club that would have me as a member.

Carolina_Packer
09-20-2016, 11:54 AM
I would never join a club that would have me as a member.

Well, you left your Marx.

deake
09-20-2016, 01:28 PM

Right on.

KYPack
09-20-2016, 03:48 PM
He boomed them in Jacksonville when against a team whose special teams ranked 20th in dvoa last year. The vikings ranked 4th in dvoa last year. I expected our special teams to be worse last week, so one shank is forgivable. However this guy is new so lets hope he improves.

As an aside, I realize dvoa is not the be all end all but it is a far better judge of special teams ability than I am.

Thx for the reminder.

That shank was scary.

Another half rotation of that ball it could've ended up in his lap.

At least we didn't trade up in the third round to get him.

Bossman641
09-20-2016, 04:40 PM
I think they were concerned about MN's return game, and on the opposite side it seemed almost that Hyde was under instructions to fair catch, regardless. His calls were often very early, and a couple were made without a lot of coverage pressure in his face. It looked like they didn't want to take any chances.

Zook made a comment the other day that seemed like he was a little irked at the number of fair catches Hyde has made. Something along the lines of maybe he is a little tired from playing D and then admitting it's easier to assume when you should be able to return punts without guys bearing down on you.

I think Hyde has been a little apprehensive this year. If I remember right, he let 2 bounce against JAX rather than catch them and they both ended up rolling inside the 5. Also, the Packers moved to Davis instead of Hyde late in the Minn game so they may have been looking for a spark.

Regarding the punter, the inconsistency is unsettling. A 36 yard punt with minimal hang time in a dome is likely to be a 25 yard duck once the weather turns.

texaspackerbacker
09-21-2016, 01:48 AM
I'm willing to wait and see, I guess. But just on appearances, he looks worse than Masthay and Mortell, and a lot worse than other teams' punters.

gbgary
09-21-2016, 10:22 AM

if they don't move the chains it will continue to be.

run pMc
09-21-2016, 08:17 PM
Zook made a comment the other day that seemed like he was a little irked at the number of fair catches Hyde has made. Something along the lines of maybe he is a little tired from playing D and then admitting it's easier to assume when you should be able to return punts without guys bearing down on you.

I think Hyde has been a little apprehensive this year. If I remember right, he let 2 bounce against JAX rather than catch them and they both ended up rolling inside the 5. Also, the Packers moved to Davis instead of Hyde late in the Minn game so they may have been looking for a spark.

Regarding the punter, the inconsistency is unsettling. A 36 yard punt with minimal hang time in a dome is likely to be a 25 yard duck once the weather turns.

McCarren thought the sun was getting in Hyde's eyes at JAX. Their PR lost one in the sun too IIRC

Fritz
09-22-2016, 01:15 PM
Funny, but Hyde didn't return much in Minny, indoors. None, in fact. I'd like to see them try to use the punt return as a weapon rather than as a safe way to exchange possession.

It's not like Arod is marching them down the field automatically right now or anything.

Zool
09-23-2016, 08:28 AM
His nickname at my house is Fair Catch Hyde

Maxie the Taxi
09-23-2016, 08:46 AM
We need a little Desmond Howard action back there receiving punts.

Fritz
09-23-2016, 11:12 AM
His nickname at my house is Fair Catch Hyde

So it was at my house, until abut the third fair catch, at which point his nickname morphed into "F_%!$* C*n!" Hyde.