PDA

View Full Version : Did the Bears just become more of a threat?

Patler
09-20-2016, 11:39 AM
Cutler might require surgery and could be out for quite a while.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000706380/article/bears-prepping-for-lengthy-jay-cutler-absence

Rastak
09-20-2016, 11:40 AM

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000706380/article/bears-prepping-for-lengthy-jay-cutler-absence

I'd take Cutler over Hoyer any day.

Patler
09-20-2016, 11:51 AM

I know, I would too. I presented it that way because there is a strong current for slamming Cutler on this board. I thought I would play to it, and lob them a soft ball.

Rastak
09-20-2016, 11:52 AM
I know, I would too. I presented it that way because there is a strong current for slamming Cutler on this board. I thought I would play to it, and lob them a soft ball.

Oh, I know. :-) I just wanted to get on record....

Zool
09-20-2016, 12:03 PM

The Broncos would rather have Tebow than Cutler.

Guiness
09-20-2016, 12:33 PM

I took the thrust of your OP that with Cutler going down, the Bears will be forced to look to the future at the position and eventually become a threat.

PFT said they have Matt Barkley on their PS. How can that be possible, it's his 4th year in the league. I thought he had been on the 53 (but maybe not game-day active?)

MadScientist
09-20-2016, 01:07 PM
The Bears are no threat to win the division this year. However, unless Rodgers and the offense get their asses in gear, the Bears are a threat to finish higher than the Packers.

KYPack
09-20-2016, 08:43 PM
This was on the local FOX sports affiliate, so I have no idea if it's real or whatever.

This one guy claimed that if the Barelys cut Cutler, they will save 71 million dollars.

I'd cut that goof it it saved the team 71 cents.

Anyone heard a similar tale?

Rastak
09-20-2016, 08:55 PM
This was on the local FOX sports affiliate, so I have no idea if it's real or whatever.

This one guy claimed that if the Barelys cut Cutler, they will save 71 million dollars.

I heard they can cut him next year with no dead money. So 70+ mil sounds like BS if what I heard was correct.

King Friday
09-20-2016, 09:12 PM
I'm guessing the $70M saved is derived from adding up all the salary he would be owed if he played out the contract entirely, since he's got $20M salaries the last few years of his deal. This is merely an example of how stupid Bears fans truly are. They don't realize that you actually have to replace Cutler with another starting QB who will also make a fair amount of money.

In terms of the cap, I don't think they can cut him for zero dead money next year...but I do believe the dollar value drops significantly next year compared to this year. Something like $15M down to $3M...so there is a real chance Cutler goes bye-bye after this season.

Joemailman
09-20-2016, 09:13 PM

They would save 7 million on the salary cap in 2017 if they cut him. They would save around 70 million through 2020 by cutting him.

Cheesehead Craig
09-20-2016, 10:36 PM
They would save 7 million on the salary cap in 2017 if they cut him. They would save around 70 million through 2020 by cutting him.

Per Sportac, they say it's a 2M cap hit next year and 1M in 2018 if they cut him. 74M over 4 years. It's a no brainer to cut him as he has no trade value. Unless I'm reading this wrong.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/chicago-bears/jay-cutler-2493/

pbmax
09-20-2016, 10:48 PM
Then the Packers sign him to run scout team offense to give the D practice creating turnovers.

Joemailman
09-20-2016, 11:15 PM
Per Sportac, they say it's a 2M cap hit next year and 1M in 2018 if they cut him. 74M over 4 years. It's a no brainer to cut him as he has no trade value. Unless I'm reading this wrong.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/chicago-bears/jay-cutler-2493/

I think you're right. I mistook roster bonuses for signing bonuses. I agree he's probably gone. Does anyone in Chicago still think they can win with him?

Airin' Rodgers
09-21-2016, 09:34 AM
The Bears are no threat to win the division this year. However, unless Rodgers and the offense get their asses in gear, the Bears are a threat to finish higher than the Packers.

I know the Packers offense is in disarray and people are worried (maybe rightfully so), but we opened up with 2 road games including probably what was our toughest game of the season. We're 1-1. Can we wait until this 4 game homestand ends before we declare the team broken? All of the games are winnable and we could come out of this 5-1

hoosier
09-21-2016, 09:51 AM
I don't think anyone is ready to give up on this season yet, but it is clear that the problems with the offense lie deeper than just scraping off the off-season rust or meeting up with a defense that is softer than Minnesota's. This offense has structural problems that go well beyond rust and the loss of a left guard, and we don't yet have clear evidence that the staff and QB have what it takes to identify and fix those problems.

Joemailman
09-21-2016, 10:00 AM
I know the Packers offense is in disarray and people are worried (maybe rightfully so), but we opened up with 2 road games including probably what was our toughest game of the season. We're 1-1. Can we wait until this 4 game homestand ends before we declare the team broken? All of the games are winnable and we could come out of this 5-1

True, but they started out 6-0 last year, but couldn't sustain it because of the dysfunctional offense. I'm not the least bit concerned that they lost at Minnesota. The concern is that the offense looks a lot like last year so far.

Airin' Rodgers
09-21-2016, 10:12 AM
True, but they started out 6-0 last year, but couldn't sustain it because of the dysfunctional offense. I'm not the least bit concerned that they lost at Minnesota. The concern is that the offense looks a lot like last year so far.

And I think that's definitely a fair concern. I am holding onto hope that this is just a traditional packers slow start from past years, and they will get things fixed heading into winter.

yetisnowman
09-21-2016, 10:48 AM

Or we could easily be 2-4.
Everyone talks about what a juggernaut Minnesota is. Honestly they played pretty poorly themselves, AP did absolutely nothing then got hurt. They had a retread, injury prone, never played in a playoff game qb and a bunch of no names on offense. They scored 17 pts. They have a good young defense but come on, this is what our offense has been for 14 -15 games or so. And when you can't move the ball and score points, there are no gimme games.

MadScientist
09-21-2016, 01:52 PM

Last 12 regular season games QB rating average:
Rodgers = 81.4
Cutler = 94.2

And before anyone thinks Jacksonville has a stellar defense this year, look what SD did to them. Rodgers and the whole offense have been crap for almost a full year now, and despite a full off season to correct things, the addition of a TE with talent and the return of Jordy, and Lacy supposedly being in shape, there are absolutely no signs this offense has improved in any way shape or form. I'm not panicking, I'm somewhere between pissed and depressed.

run pMc
09-21-2016, 08:23 PM
Cleveland would take him in a second. He's still got a good arm but he makes dumb mistakes now and then. He's also taken a real pounding with some terrible CHI O-lines.

wpony
09-22-2016, 02:28 AM
where I live up here in Northern Wi. tourist alley we have a diverse crew of fans up here and almost all bears fans are say Yaaaaaaaa now we have a chance to win 1 or 2 games anyway draft a good QB and trade Cutler if he has any value left if not drop his lazzy no good a** use his salery to bring in some players that actually want to play .
Win win they say

Pugger
09-22-2016, 12:38 PM

The Bears didn't look any better when Hoyer went in there Monday night.

Fritz
09-22-2016, 12:55 PM
The Bears didn't look any better when Hoyer went in there Monday night.

I know. I couldn't tell if it was Brian or Steny.