PDA

View Full Version : Montgomery's kickoff play

Patler
09-27-2016, 11:30 AM
Zook referred to Cobb's play several years ago, saying he replays the video of it frequently for his return men. He said Montgomery has seen it at least four times already this year alone.

He went on to say that Montgomery had a new wrinkle in his situation, because the kick went into the endzone, and then backed out. If it had been a punt, it would have been an automatic touchback. Because it was a kickoff, it remained a live ball until covered.

Pugger
09-27-2016, 12:51 PM
Didn't Cobb do something similar a couple of years ago....?

Patler
09-27-2016, 12:59 PM
Didn't Cobb do something similar a couple of years ago....?

You apparently didn't read my post to start this thread???

Zook referred to Cobb's play several years ago, saying he replays the video of it frequently for his return men. He said Montgomery has seen it at least four times already this year alone.

gbgary
09-27-2016, 03:12 PM
didn't cobb do this a few years ago?

:glug:

pbmax
09-27-2016, 05:24 PM
I think Cobb invented this in High School.

Rastak
09-27-2016, 05:53 PM
Patler, this isn't new at all, I remember Cobb doing this some time back.

QBME
09-27-2016, 05:58 PM
All in all, it was a heads up great play, all things considered.

Joemailman
09-27-2016, 06:05 PM
Weird that Montgomery thought of it. Seems like something Cobb would do.

BZnDallas
09-27-2016, 06:14 PM
No, I'm pretty sure you're all wrong. Cobb did it a couple years back, I totally remember that shit.

RashanGary
09-27-2016, 06:47 PM
Cobb did the same thing a couple years back

vince
09-27-2016, 07:00 PM
What was interesting in this situation though is that apparently the ball went into the endzone and then backed out. I think that rule is different if it's a punt.

Patler
09-27-2016, 07:15 PM
Good thing Montgomery was back there, I don't think any other Packer return man would have had the sense Montgomery did.

vince
09-27-2016, 07:52 PM
That's good on Monty and the Packers for taking advantage, but it doesn't seem right that a player can run out of bounds, touch the ball when it remains in bounds, and have it work to pretty big advantage. If it happens another time or two this year, the rules committee might take that one up for review.

Joemailman
09-27-2016, 08:03 PM
That's good on Monty and the Packers for taking advantage, but it doesn't seem right that a player can run out of bounds, touch the ball when it remains in bounds, and have it work to pretty big advantage. If it happens another time or two this year, the rules committee might take that one up for review.

I agree. The logic of the rule escapes me.

Rastak
09-27-2016, 08:15 PM
Good thing Montgomery was back there, I don't think any other Packer return man would have had the sense Montgomery did.

Exactly, Cobb was in the same situation a few years back and didn't do it.

HarveyWallbangers
09-27-2016, 08:16 PM
Exactly, Cobb was in the same situation a few years back and didn't do it.

Actually, I remember Cobb doing this in a game a few years ago.

King Friday
09-27-2016, 08:27 PM
I'm not sure someone like Cobb, from such a backwoods university as Kentucky, would have the intelligence to make such a brilliant play. Only a Stanford alum could deduce such a fabulous ploy.

Patler
09-27-2016, 08:27 PM

I agree. The logic of the rule escapes me.

It's no different than having a foot out of bounds and catching a pass. It's ruled out of bounds. This one just looked odd because of how much he stretched to bring the ball in.

hoosier
09-27-2016, 08:30 PM
It's no different than having a foot out of bounds and catching a pass. It's ruled out of bounds. This one just looked odd because of how much he stretched to bring the ball in.

Not quite. Catching a pass with a foot out of bounds means the receiver is out of bounds and the ball is dead (but not out of bounds). The kick never went out of bounds; intuitively it would make more sense to say the ball is dead where it was first touched by the player whose foot is out of bounds.

Joemailman
09-27-2016, 08:35 PM

Well, except that if you're out of bounds on a pass play, the other team doesn't get penalized 38 yards. I really question why a player who is out of bounds should be allowed to touch the ball that is in bounds. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Patler
09-27-2016, 08:49 PM
Well, except that if you're out of bounds on a pass play, the other team doesn't get penalized 38 yards. I really question why a player who is out of bounds should be allowed to touch the ball that is in bounds. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

What if he just drifted over to catch the ball on the fly, and did, but with one foot out of bounds? Would you rule that differently? The league wants the ball kept in bounds on kickoffs, and established a very significant consequence for failing to do so. For whatever reason, that was important to them. Smart players narrow the field a few more feet on each side. That's about all it is.

KYPack
09-27-2016, 09:09 PM
I'm not sure someone like Cobb, from such a backwoods university as Kentucky, would have the intelligence to make such a brilliant play. Only a Stanford alum could deduce such a fabulous ploy.

Kentucky?

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money baby.

vince
09-27-2016, 09:09 PM
The league wants the ball kept in bounds on kickoffs, and established a very significant consequence for failing to do so.
When the ball is kept in play but the player goes out of play before touching it. I think you're right that there was a reason for it but I don't see the logic of penalizing a team for accurately placing a kickoff near the sideline - but not out of bounds - as a strategy for pinning a team back and helping the coverage team succeed. As you said, the penalty is severe if the ball goes out of bounds, but when it doesn't, the risk-reward should be there.

What would be the difference in the same situation with a punt? If the returner goes out of bounds and fields the ball it's a dead ball at that spot I believe correct?

Patler
09-27-2016, 09:28 PM
There is no penalty for punting out of bounds, and it doesn't matter what causes the out of bounds to occur. There is a penalty for kickoffs out of bounds, and it doesn't matter what causes the out of bounds to occur. It is consistent in its own way.

vince
09-27-2016, 09:42 PM
I guess it makes for an interesting occurrence once every five years or so. I'd love to see someone launch a drop-kick through the uprights in the middle of a play some day.

King Friday
09-27-2016, 09:55 PM
To me, the kickoff isn't meant to be as strategical as a punt. The team kicking off just scored (unless it is the start of a half) and the purpose of the play is to get the ball to the other team and give their offense a chance to move up the field. I don't think the NFL really wants to have kickoffs regularly near the sideline...which is why they've put in the harsh penalty for OOB kicks, and also have this rule in place. I think the general idea that is being promoted is for most kickoffs to come down somewhere between the numbers instead of having them close to the sidelines.

The live ball forces the return team to make a play on the ball. You can't just take a chance on where it bounces like you would with a punt...hoping it goes out of bounds or into the endzone. Anything close to the sidelines basically has to be fielded by the returner, so this rule helps the returner make the catch without being forced to have to watch the sideline if it is close.

vince
09-27-2016, 10:20 PM
I'm not sure where one would find the roots of the rule but I do see the possibility of there being too much of an advantage to kicking to the sideline without the strong penalty. That cuts the amount of space and improves the pursuit angles for the coverage teams tremendously, which is obviously why kickers usually angle the kick to one side or the other when they kick to cover rather than through the end zone - even with the added risk of the out of bounds rule. It puts a premium on accuracy and gives the return team a half-assed chance rather than just getting squeezed out of bounds. I'm converted.

Pugger
09-27-2016, 10:30 PM
You apparently didn't read my post to start this thread???

Man, my eyes are not working very well... :oops:

channtheman
09-27-2016, 11:50 PM
Remember Devin Hester doing this for the Bears a few years back, or was that Cobb for the Packers?

CaptainKickass
09-28-2016, 12:55 PM
Obligatory "Cobb did it years ago" post.

Rastak
09-28-2016, 08:41 PM
Remember Devin Hester doing this for the Bears a few years back, or was that Cobb for the Packers?

I think Billy "White Shoes" Johnson was the first but after Harvey pointed out Cobb I watched every kickoff from 1960 until now and Cobb definitely showed up doing it. At that point I was out of it with lack of sleep but I either dreamed it or saw it.

Carolina_Packer
09-28-2016, 09:59 PM
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000115426/Cobb-s-smart-play

55-7 Packers on December 23rd, 2012

swede
09-28-2016, 10:21 PM
So weird that you found this and posted it. Somebody just mentioned this same play. Fun Fact: It happened on December 23rd, 2012 in a 55-7 Packers win.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000115426/Cobb-s-smart-play

55-7 Packers on December 23rd, 2012

Tony Oday
09-29-2016, 10:28 AM
I thought that Cobb guy did this

Zool
09-29-2016, 10:42 AM
I thought that Cobb guy did this

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/masonry/000/616/605/697.jpg

hoosier
09-29-2016, 10:47 AM
So weird that you found this and posted it. Somebody just mentioned this same play. Fun Fact: It happened on December 23rd, 2012 in a 55-7 Packers win.

What happened?

Pugger
09-29-2016, 10:58 AM
You guys are too funny. :lol:

George Cumby
09-29-2016, 02:08 PM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned this, but if memory serves, Cobb did this a couple years ago.

hoosier
09-29-2016, 03:27 PM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned this, but if memory serves, Cobb did this a couple years ago.

Give it a fucking rest already.

George Cumby
09-29-2016, 05:17 PM
Bitch.

Rutnstrut
09-29-2016, 05:21 PM
Monty with this one play has already showed more brains and talent than Adams ever has or will.

hoosier
09-29-2016, 07:19 PM
Bitch.

Hey, didn't Cobb say something like that once? Oh no, that was Hawk.

vince
09-29-2016, 07:35 PM
Cobb was the originator, but it was the visionary genius of Shawn Slocum who poured through the bowels of the rule book and puppeteered the brilliance. Then Monty takes the Slocum's teaching to a whole new level with the layout stretch technique for an instant 40 yards of field position.

That play spawned the masterfully designed two-back induced mismatching of Nelson on a linebacker from the slot and a quick strike laser from Rodgers for another 50 yds the very next play. 2 plays later Nelson masterfully finds the gap at the goalline for 6. That 14-3 game then became 21-3, 24-3 and 31-3, possibly spawning the rebirth of McCarthy's offensive genius, Rodgers' quick release up-tempo killshots, and Nelson's big-play production. All as Slocum foresaw no doubt. What a genius. What a legacy.

MadtownPacker
10-01-2016, 12:09 PM
Monty with this one play has already showed more brains and talent than Adams ever has or will.
Didn't Cobb already say that? Oh wait he ain't that fucking dumb or else he wouldn't have done the same thing Montegomery did.

Carolina_Packer
10-03-2016, 04:24 PM
So, what did I miss?

RashanGary
10-03-2016, 11:52 PM
So, what did I miss?

1. Montgomery had a heads up special teams play where he stood out of bounds, then stretched out to pick up the ball, causing the ball to be placed on the 40 yard line.

2. We're not sure, but a few years back, Cobb may have done something similar.

3. Someone talked shit about about Davonte Adams.

4. Madtown lit another hater up