PDA

View Full Version : Jay Mariotti on Favre

green_bowl_packer
09-05-2006, 09:46 AM
Down here in Chicago this guy is considered an jerk, taking the negative angle on every situation, and calling for every losing coach to be canned. Basically a shit stirrer, to get himself noticed, Ozzie Guillen let him have it and deservedly so (wrong choice of words, but he was on the right track) it was a long time coming. I hope we kick there ass on Sunday And now this . . .

It was time, only Favre didn't know it

September 5, 2006

BY JAY MARIOTTI SUN-TIMES COLUMNIST

So this is what we're doing in Chicago, laughing at his clownish blooper throws and mocking his stubby gray hair. Sorry, but I refuse to revel in the demise of Brett Favre, a folk hero who transcends silly civic grudges. Many of you will spend the week dancing on the man's grave, wanting him to feel the pain he inflicted on the Bears back when he and the Packers won 18 of 20 and turned a rivalry into a 209-mile waste of time.

Me? I'll be immersed in regret that Favre didn't retire last winter, allowing him to avoid the misery of a swan song doomed to resemble a dead quail.

Or, worse, the second coming off Y.A. Tittle. For those too zit-faced to realize John Madden was a coach before he became an after-school demigod, Tittle was an old-time quarterback who stuck around way too long and literally was reduced to his knees, bleeding from his forehead and temple and staring at the turf. I never thought Favre, the all-time ironman and swashbuckling rebel, would leave football anywhere but on top. Yet as he prepares to play the Bears for probably the final time at Lambeau Field, he looms as an awkward fit for a Green Bay team with a new coach, a new offense, 14 rookies, 13 others with less than two years' experience, low expectations and a future being greased for Aaron Rodgers, the kid quarterback who may be asked to succeed the fading legend sooner than later.

Why Favre would subject himself to another potential 4-12 stupor -- and a reckless desperation that prompted him to throw 29 interceptions and lose seven fumbles in a terrible 2005 season -- is beyond my comprehension. Why he'd risk being benched for a younger, unprepared replacement is harder to figure. But that's where he is at 36, going on 50. A career that deserves to end in triumph, after one of the most revered and inspirational quarterbacking runs ever, appears destined to end with Favre on his knees. The other day, he all but acknowledged as much in a testy exchange.

Critics club growing

''I'm well aware,'' he said. ''What do you want me to do, quit? Are you saying that it's not worth it? I'm totally aware of it; it may not go great. Maybe we get on a hot streak. But the only thing I can do is lead this team, be as prepared as possible and play as hard as I can. I'd love to play for everyone, but I'm not that good.

''I got enough to worry about myself. It's hard enough to play my position. I have enough people telling me I'm too old and can't do it. It's not easy. But I enjoy doing it. Do I enjoy losing? No, but I enjoy the challenge of competing every week. I have no idea what to expect this year, I really don't.''

The criticism comes in torrents now. Only a year ago, Favre was universally seen as an American symbol of courage, persevering through a relentless battering of family tragedy and his struggles with drugs. But he didn't respond well to his dismal season and took too much time deciding if he was retiring or returning, not reaching a decision until late April and aggravating fans around the country. Even his adoring Cheeseheads chafed as they waited beyond the NFL draft for a decision. Turns out Favre was swayed while listening to a radio show featuring Phil Simms, the CBS analyst and former quarterback, who said Favre should return. It's flimsy when a radio show serves as a man's overriding motivation.

When he reported for camp, he sounded like he didn't want to be there. In one breath, he announced rather oddly that this was the most talent the Packers have assembled in his 15 years, even more than 1996 team that won a Super Bowl. In the next breath, he voiced a world-weariness that suggested his body won't survive the season. With rookie guards protecting him, he might not. ''This morning, I'm like, 'What am I doing?' '' Favre said. ''It feels like I've got glass in my shoes. But I know from experience, even though every time we practice and every time we play and every season it may get a little worse, once I get on the field, it seems to kind of go away. Honestly? My arm feels great. The rest of my body feels like I've been playing for 16 years. I probably walk around and run around like an old man. My ankles and my feet and hips all bother me. I don't anticipate feeling better.''

Nor is he terribly thrilled about dealing with the media, another symptom of growing grumpiness. He used to embrace the weekly sessions and empty his heart. Now, he is committing to interviews every other week. What changed? ''Well, we were winning and it was fun and everybody was having a good time,'' he said. ''Now, it seems like every time something is brought up, it's negative ... ''

Respect has been earned

Then why come back? Because Favre still is more a warrior than a worrier, hurting physically but aching emotionally to prove us wrong. You'd like to believe he'll stretch his consecutive-starts streak to 257 while mustering enough pride and performance to break several league passing records within reach, including Dan Marino's 420 touchdown passes [Favre is 25 away]. The Bears aren't dancing on his grave, having been haunted by too many Favre horrors to say anything that might roust him.

''Favre is like a grenade,'' defensive tackle Tommie Harris said. ''He's so powerful and packed with so much punch that you know he's dangerous.''

''He has a strong arm. He still can put it there,'' defensive end Alex Brown said. ''The guy's good. He's one of those guys you can't stand unless he's on your team.''

Seems the thoughts are a season or two outdated. These days, Brett Favre is one of those guys you love to face because he's liable to throw a football between the double 5s on your jersey, as Lance Briggs discovered in a wrapped gift last Christmas Day. The interception was replayed over and over, accompanied by Jeff Joniak's charged radio call, in offseason TV stories chronicling Favre's freefall. It would have been so much simpler if he'd just retired.

That way, you wouldn't be celebrating his pain. And I wouldn't be feeling it.

chewy-bacca
09-05-2006, 09:52 AM
Its not just Chi-town that hates him. Thanks to "Around the Horn" We are all reminded of how big of an assbag he is.

I would love to see him and Jim Rome fight to the death, atleast that would take care of one of them. :lol:

just for the record, im not gonna read that story. sorry.

the_idle_threat
09-05-2006, 10:31 AM
Same drumbeat, different writer ... "Favre is washed up, and he's pissy with the media."

pbmax
09-05-2006, 10:55 AM
Boy, I sure do love faked sympathy cloaking a bag of insults. Good misdirection Jay.

I take no pleasure that other's consider you to be as fun and insightful as a traffic cone. I just wish you had half of Bayless' talent!

Pack_Attack
09-05-2006, 11:08 AM
Rome cant fight.... just ask jim everett!! lol!

chewy-bacca
09-05-2006, 11:26 AM
Rome cant fight.... just ask jim everett!! lol!

you mean "Chris" :lol: :lol:

Zool
09-05-2006, 12:17 PM
Mariotti is a pompous ass-hat.

mmmdk
09-05-2006, 12:30 PM
Some spin by Mariotti. Beating the Bears just became even bigger. :mad:

No Mo Moss
09-05-2006, 01:24 PM
I would give one of my Kidney for a packers rout on the Bears Sunday. Favre 29 for 35 for 337 yards and 4 TDs, one of them rushing.

MJZiggy
09-05-2006, 01:54 PM
Why don't any of these media idiots realize that the reason Favre doesn't want to talk to them is because they're a bunch of idiots? He said, and this is the quote that they never give us, that they just asked the same stupid questions over and over so what's the point of talking every week? If he had stopped there, there would have been no other way for them to twist it, but he had to keep going. Ah well, that's Brett.

pbmax
09-05-2006, 02:25 PM
Why don't any of these media idiots realize that the reason Favre doesn't want to talk to them is because they're a bunch of idiots? He said, and this is the quote that they never give us, that they just asked the same stupid questions over and over so what's the point of talking every week? If he had stopped there, there would have been no other way for them to twist it, but he had to keep going. Ah well, that's Brett.
Favre has masterfully used the press for many years. This is the flip side of the media adulation he received for a long time. He can ignore it better by going generic.

But the thing I love the most about the unnamed Bear's fans Mariotti dismisses, is that they are essentially celebrating a two game win streak.

Congratulations.

Scott Campbell
09-05-2006, 02:29 PM

I can't blame it all on the media. Brett's been around long enough to know the drill, and that all he has to do is turn to Clyde Drexler's Big Book of Boring Sports Quotes to keep them off his back.

Clyde says one of the following 5 responses can safely be used in virtually every tricky press conference situation. And they each feature the added benefit of being dull enough to reduce the liklihood of followup questions.

1) "We just play them one game at a time."
2) "You can't look ahead on the schedule."
3) "I think we'll put forth a much better effort next week."
4) "We have tremendous respect for (insert this weeks opponent here)."
5) "I don't really want to comment on that right now."

Each reply has been carefully engineered to achieve the desired response - move the pack of writers on to the next quote machine. In this case you want the reporters to say to themselves "hey, let's go ask Ahmad Carrol how he's going to shut down Roy Williams".

BallHawk
09-05-2006, 06:08 PM
Jay Mariotti, Skip Bayless, Jim Rome, Sean Salisbury, should all be put in a last one standing cage match. Only thing is the last one standing has to beat one final person....Brett Favre. Rot in hell suckers :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Tony Oday
09-05-2006, 06:42 PM
Jay Mariotti, Skip Bayless, Jim Rome, Sean Salisbury, should all be put in a last one standing cage match. Only thing is the last one standing has to beat one final person....Brett Favre. Rot in hell suckers :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Id rather have them fighting AJ HAwk after you told AJ that the one reporter left harrassed his new bride...

mraynrand
09-05-2006, 08:04 PM
Each reply has been carefully engineered to achieve the desired response - move the pack of writers on to the next quote machine.

Good point, Scotty. And Zig. The thing is that Favre will just keep talking as long as the mic is in front of his face. And he'll say whatever is on his mind. And I'll tell you from the experience of playing competetive sports into my late 30s against guys 10-25 years younger, the thing you think the most about is how *od-damned sore you are all the time, no matter how much off season training and conditioning you do. That's why NFL QBs typically don't last as long as Favre. When you're thinking about all these guys who seem to enjoy watching Favre's demise, ask yourself this question: How many 37 year old QBs have you watched look better than Favre? Hint: the answer is not many.

Scott Campbell
09-05-2006, 08:59 PM
PFT's comment on the article:

"Jay Mariotti might be trying to get another major sports figure to call him a fag."