PDA

View Full Version : More Banjo: Week 5 vs Giants

pbmax
10-09-2016, 10:55 PM
Pennel and Goodson back next week. Lacy and Banjo hurt. Martinez broke open the bridge of his nose again.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CuYJeKmWAAEcSEg.jpg:large

pbmax
10-09-2016, 10:56 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CuYLNzzW8AAn_W4.jpg:large

Maxie the Taxi
Pennel and Goodson back next week. Lacy and Banjo hurt. Martinez broke open the bridge of his nose again.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CuYJeKmWAAEcSEg.jpg:largeMartinez shouldn't be using AJ Hawk's old helmet.

pbmax
We gotta hurry this one up. Have an episode of Westworld to watch.

Rastak
10-09-2016, 10:58 PM
We gotta hurry this one up. Have an episode of Westworld to watch.

Nothing beats the original Westworld with Yul Brynner.

Good night all.

denverYooper
10-09-2016, 10:59 PM
OBJ did not have 200+ yards or 3 TDs.

denverYooper
10-09-2016, 11:00 PM

Good night all.

Ras, is that supposed to be a transparent background or some sort of retro look?

pbmax
10-09-2016, 11:02 PM

Good night all.

Is that the one with Richard Benjamin? Crichton directed that himself apparently. It was on TV Saturday night.

pbmax
10-09-2016, 11:02 PM
OBJ did not have 200+ yards or 3 TDs.

Pressure really helps out bad pass coverage.

denverYooper
10-09-2016, 11:05 PM
Lost the turnover battle.
Lost field position battle.
Still won the game.

denverYooper
10-09-2016, 11:07 PM
Pressure really helps out bad pass coverage.

Indeed. Not sure pass coverage was bad, though. It just never was a factor in the outcome.

pbmax
10-09-2016, 11:09 PM
Indeed. Not sure pass coverage was bad, though. It just never was a factor in the outcome.

Compromised?

pbmax
10-09-2016, 11:09 PM
Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 3m3 minutes ago
McCarthy: Good victory for us tonight. Definitely a hard-fought football game. #NYGvsGB

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 2m2 minutes ago
McCarthy: Randall Cobb seems fine. Just visited with him in the locker room. #NYGvsGB

PHEW!

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 47s47 seconds ago
McCarthy on offense: Thought we did a good job in a number of areas. Ran the football. Hit the target on time of possession. #NYGvsGB

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 3m3 minutes ago
McCarthy: I thought Randall (Cobb) was excellent. He was a primary target & he delivered. He had a heck of a night. #NYGvsGB

pbmax
10-09-2016, 11:11 PM
I will say this about M3. He does seem committed to throwing on a down other than the third when he needs to eat clock. Even did it with under 4 mins in game.

denverYooper
10-09-2016, 11:12 PM
Compromised?

Suboptimal

pbmax
10-09-2016, 11:14 PM
Suboptimal

There we go.

denverYooper
10-09-2016, 11:14 PM
Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 32s32 seconds ago
McCarthy: James Starks is a bit of a mess right now.

pbmax
10-09-2016, 11:18 PM
Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 1m1 minute ago
Rodgers: Eddie ran the ball really well. The offensive line was outstanding. Other than that, we've got some stuff to clean up. #NYGvsGB

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 2m2 minutes ago
Rodgers: We've got to do a better job in the red zone. We had some opportunities, we've got to cash those in. #NYGvsGB

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 45s46 seconds ago
Rodgers on #Packers defense: It's fun to watch. Those guys are playing outstanding. Give Dom credit for game plan, & those guys executed.

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 19s20 seconds ago
Rodgers: It's been ugly at times, but we'll take it. It's tough to win in this league. #NYGvsGB

Pugger
10-10-2016, 12:03 AM
I hope Eddie isn't out very long. Those ankles can be bothersome.

Harlan Huckleby
10-10-2016, 12:18 AM
This offense needs a major reshuffle. I don't know what needs to change, but the o-line is fine.

Carolina_Packer
10-10-2016, 07:03 AM
This offense needs a major reshuffle. I don't know what needs to change, but the o-line is fine.

Unfortunately, major reshuffles don't typically happen in-season. I agree, I thought the o-line was a strength, and the running game was productive.

So, so what is it with this passing attack? Often, it seems that Rodgers drops back, has time, but can't go with the original concept of the play. Is that on him for having a desire to get the big play or chunk yardage instead of just taking what they are giving? Is it on the receivers for not being able to physically execute to get separation in their routes? Is it the route concepts themselves that the defense almost seems to know as much as the Packer receivers?

I realize there will be scramble drills, but it seems more often than not, they have to do a scramble drill instead of just having a play drawn up and being able to execute it straight up with the talent that they have. So, is it the talent itself, or the route concepts limiting the talent?

Rodgers also seems to have more accuracy issues, but that might go to the scramble drill on more plays than not. There are non-scramble drill plays where his accuracy is just off.

pbmax
10-10-2016, 07:38 AM

Not major. But he should take most of his play calls from the second half and toss them in the garbage.

oldbutnotdeadyet
10-10-2016, 07:39 AM
Unfortunately, major reshuffles don't typically happen in-season. I agree, I thought the o-line was a strength, and the running game was productive.

So, so what is it with this passing attack? Often, it seems that Rodgers drops back, has time, but can't go with the original concept of the play. Is that on him for having a desire to get the big play or chunk yardage instead of just taking what they are giving? Is it on the receivers for not being able to physically execute to get separation in their routes? Is it the route concepts themselves that the defense almost seems to know as much as the Packer receivers?

I realize there will be scramble drills, but it seems more often than not, they have to do a scramble drill instead of just having a play drawn up and being able to execute it straight up with the talent that they have. So, is it the talent itself, or the route concepts limiting the talent?

Rodgers also seems to have more accuracy issues, but that might go to the scramble drill on more plays than not. There are non-scramble drill plays where his accuracy is just off.

A reshuffle could occur but only if the coaches know what the problem is. I don't sense MM and crew know that, why else say week after week they will correct some things but nothing ever gets corrected?

pbmax
10-10-2016, 07:39 AM
Dan Duggan @DDuggan21
Giants offensive lineman Ereck Flowers shoved ESPN reporter Jordan Raanan in the locker room after tonight's game:

Doug Farrar ‏@BR_DougFarrar
I'm surprised he didn't miss.

Patler
10-10-2016, 08:38 AM
Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 32s32 seconds ago
McCarthy: James Starks is a bit of a mess right now.

Did he say more? What the heck does that mean?
Not something I would expect MM to say.

pittstang5
10-10-2016, 08:51 AM

I actually assumed it was either quoted wrong or they quoted the wrong person. Yes, it doesn't seem like something MM would say.

Carolina_Packer
10-10-2016, 08:52 AM
I wonder if Jhurell Pressley is being considered again. The only other RB immediately available is Don Jackson on the practice squad. I wish the NFL would allow more short-term roster moves, like MLB does with the DL. We shouldn't try and just get by with Starks and Rip. Hopefully Lacy is OK. He's played with a dinged up ankle before.

pittstang5
10-10-2016, 08:54 AM
Not major. But he should take most of his play calls from the second half and toss them in the garbage.

This...but maybe they had to scheme a little differently since Lacey was unavailable. Lacey ran hard and most of his gains were all from simply bowling people over and breaking tackles. That's not Starks.

Maxie the Taxi
10-10-2016, 09:34 AM
I wonder if Jhurell Pressley is being considered again. The only other RB immediately available is Don Jackson on the practice squad. I wish the NFL would allow more short-term roster moves, like MLB does with the DL. We shouldn't try and just get by with Starks and Rip. Hopefully Lacy is OK. He's played with a dinged up ankle before.It's irritating that we're so far into the season and we still don't have a quality 3rd down RB that can be a factor catching passes and make people miss in the open field. You watch other teams play on Sunday and they all have a Reggie Bush/Darren Sproles-type guy that can create pressure on opposing LB's underneath or even sliding open down the sideline. We had Starks open a few times and he dropped the ball. But even if he had caught it, Starks is just not quick or elusive enough anymore to play that role.

Maybe Pressley or Jackson are the answer, but it's kind of late in the season to be breaking in a new kid in that role.

ThunderDan
10-10-2016, 09:43 AM
It's irritating that we're so far into the season and we still don't have a quality 3rd down RB that can be a factor catching passes and make people miss in the open field. You watch other teams play on Sunday and they all have a Reggie Bush/Darren Sproles-type guy that can create pressure on opposing LB's underneath or even sliding open down the sideline. We had Starks open a few times and he dropped the ball. But even if he had caught it, Starks is just not quick or elusive enough anymore to play that role.

Maybe Pressley or Jackson are the answer, but it's kind of late in the season to be breaking in a new kid in that role.

That one screen to Starks in the 1st quarter before the INT was a TD if ARod could have thrown a better ball. Only 2 Giants on that side of the field with 3 Packer blockers and Starks.

pbmax
10-10-2016, 10:29 AM

I think Yoop was kidding because I could never find that Tweet. Unless they deleted it.

Maxie the Taxi
10-10-2016, 10:45 AM
That one screen to Starks in the 1st quarter before the INT was a TD if ARod could have thrown a better ball. Only 2 Giants on that side of the field with 3 Packer blockers and Starks.You're right. And on several other occasions Arod failed to get the ball out in a decent position to a checkdown back or receiver. I don't know what it is. Both sides of the equation have problems. I don't know the answer.

Carolina_Packer
10-10-2016, 10:48 AM
You're right. And on several other occasions Arod failed to get the ball out in a decent position to a checkdown back or receiver. I don't know what it is. Both sides of the equation have problems. I don't know the answer.

I hope A-Rod has a cheat sheet! :-)

pbmax
10-10-2016, 10:54 AM
Cobb passed a concussion screen last night and feels a bit banged up. He will have his neck examined today.

http://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/34046/randall-cobb-comes-to-life-even-as-teammates-made-him-think-i-had-died-or-something

pbmax
10-10-2016, 11:06 AM
Anyone see anything about Adams and his arm that he seemed to hurt on his last catch?

Pugger
10-10-2016, 12:36 PM

it might be a combination of all of this that is what is ailing our passing attack lately.

Pugger
10-10-2016, 12:37 PM
Dan Duggan @DDuggan21
Giants offensive lineman Ereck Flowers shoved ESPN reporter Jordan Raanan in the locker room after tonight's game:

Doug Farrar ‏@BR_DougFarrar
I'm surprised he didn't miss.

:lol:

Pugger
10-10-2016, 12:38 PM
This...but maybe they had to scheme a little differently since Lacey was unavailable. Lacey ran hard and most of his gains were all from simply bowling people over and breaking tackles. That's not Starks.

I think you have hit upon the truth here.

gbgary
10-10-2016, 02:03 PM
Anyone see anything about Adams and his arm that he seemed to hurt on his last catch?

someone said he got racked somehow on that tackle.

Smidgeon
10-10-2016, 02:48 PM
someone said he got racked somehow on that tackle.

That's what it looked like to me when I watched it. And on the replay, he got an elbow right where you don't want one.

Anti-Polar Bear
10-10-2016, 03:35 PM
Cobb passed a concussion screen last night and feels a bit banged up. He will have his neck examined today.

http://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/34046/randall-cobb-comes-to-life-even-as-teammates-made-him-think-i-had-died-or-something

Praise Zeus, Cobb wasn't concussed. Woulda been out 9-10 weeks.

Packer doc has been conservative with concussions ever since he saw the Will Smith flick "Concussion."

Now fuck Hades and his 4 inch cock if Cobb's neck turns out to be serious, although I wouldn't mind my seeing J-Jan on the field more.

Anti-Polar Bear
10-10-2016, 03:44 PM
All in all, this victory was whally unimpressive and uninspiring.

The last time the Packers won impressively and inspired us, Woodbuck was posting here. If ya reading this, 'buck, come back cos we miss ya.

Joemailman
10-10-2016, 03:44 PM
Paging Dr. Masthay...Paging Dr. Masthay...

pbmax
10-10-2016, 04:07 PM
M3 PC

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 14m14 minutes ago
Lacy's injury is "not serious" but not sure of his availability for this week. Cobb is sore and should be fine for Sunday.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 14m14 minutes ago
McCarthy on Lacy: He’s having some tests done. I wouldn’t say it’s serious. Randal is sore, I think he’ll be fine.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 14m14 minutes ago
McCarthy on Cobb hit: It was unnecessary. He’s fine.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 14m14 minutes ago
Run-blocking unit did good job vs. "talented" defensive line. Lacy ran hard. Team broke a lot of tackles.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 13m13 minutes ago
OL playing better in run game than in MM's time. The group has "really jelled," MM says.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 13m13 minutes ago
McCarthy on deep route to Nelson: Jeff got pushed a little too far inside. Aaron double-clutched it. That’s designed to go to Jordy.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 12m12 minutes ago
McCarthy on Starks: No concerns. You look at us offensively, this is first game won time of possession. 75-plus plays. Its about opportunity

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 11m11 minutes ago
McCarthy on Gunter: Good football player. He’s grinding away, getting better each opportunity. [Good] student of game. Plays to his strengths

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 11m11 minutes ago
MM on pass defense: Starts with penetration and stopping run, then defense flying around. Played two-shell to keep "lid" on NYG pass game.

McCarthy on run defense: People will challenge your strengths. It’s our strength right now. No. 1 run offense coming to town.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 10m10 minutes ago
McCarthy on Pennel and Goodson: They’re here and excited.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 12m12 minutes ago
MM on Pennel and Goodson, back from suspensions: "We'll see how the week goes."

McCarthy on Abbrederis: He has a role. It’s laid out each week. Primary roles and way game flows dictates.

MM on punter: "We just need to punt it better." No change forthcoming there.

McCarthy on punting. Not a big fan of changing players. He’s new. We need to cover the way he’s supposed to cover. Not a very good job.

THIS IS PROBABLY SUPPOSED TO SAY HE NEEDS TO PUNT WHERE WE ARE COVERING, OR VICE VERSA, BUT BETWEEN M3 AND SPOON, I HAVE NO IDEA WHICH

Anti-Polar Bear
10-10-2016, 04:07 PM
Paging Dr. Masthay...Paging Dr. Masthay...

I saw a couple of high snaps last night, which probably played an instrumental role in Schum's bad punts. In disc golf, everything, from the run up to the "backswing", needs to be in sync for one to "drive" his or her disc far and accurately to the spot one imagined. If something, even a little thing, is out of wrack: a bad throw.

That said, the Packers have not had a bona fide punter since Thompson incompetently cut Jon Ryan.

pbmax
10-10-2016, 04:15 PM
CAPERS PC

Dom Capers: Made progress in eliminating explosive plays. Only one was a 27-yd play. Other was getting off field on 3rd down.
Won 9 of 13.

Capers: Gave added attention to their receivers and our front four still provided pressure. Manning doesn’t take sacks and we had four sacks

Capers: I thought our guys battled. Overcame some tough field position.

Capers on Dallas: They’re averaging 155 yards a game rushing, don’t have to say a lot more. Added Elliott. He’s got rare ability.

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 12m12 minutes ago
Dom Capers on strengths in #NYGvsGB: Eliminated explosive plays, got off the field on 3rd down, controlled run game & got pressure on QB.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 12m12 minutes ago
Elliott has power and speed and the O-line is physical. Cowboys had two breakaway runs in last meeting.

Capers on pass defense: Approach was different. We had to live with 5 or 6 yard runs instead of 30 or 40 yard passes.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 9m9 minutes ago
Capers on missing Pennel: Look at last season, minus a couple linemen. Always concerned when minus, but young guys stepped up. Vets, too.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 7m7 minutes ago
Capers on Gunter: Had a good night. We didn’t match, but he ended up on Beckham quite a bit. He’s a pro. Doesn’t say a whole lot.

SOMEONE ON THIS BOARD IS A BIG GUNTER BACKER. MAXIE? PLAYED WELL ACCORDING TO HC AND DC

pbmax
10-10-2016, 04:25 PM
BENNETT

Edgar Bennett on Ripkowski run: Incredible. Something we emphasize is to finish. He outstanding job with balance. OL phenomenal pushing pile

Bennet: OL played "extremely well" in both phases of the game.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 9m9 minutes ago
Bennett on Nelson drops: Our standards not for 1 player. As offense they’re high. He expects to make every play. He will learn from it.

ZOOK

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 5m5 minutes ago
Ron Zook on coverage: I don’t know why but lacked a little energy. We’ll get back to it. It’s about energy and playing fast. Got to get back

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 4m4 minutes ago
Ron Zook: Feel bad for him because he’s under microscope. He’s shown he can be better. He has to punt it down there and we have to cover it.

Ron Zook on Schum: Has to do with the drop. Talk to most punters that’s what you see. Needs to stay in rhythm. Be consistent.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 3m3 minutes ago
Zook agrees that Trevor Davis missed a shot for a big opportunity on punt return last night. Davis said it when he walked off field.

denverYooper
10-10-2016, 04:36 PM
I actually assumed it was either quoted wrong or they quoted the wrong person. Yes, it doesn't seem like something MM would say.

It was a joke. I just copied a tweet and changed the timestamp and text :)

Maxie the Taxi
10-11-2016, 07:33 AM
SOMEONE ON THIS BOARD IS A BIG GUNTER BACKER. MAXIE? PLAYED WELL ACCORDING TO HC AND DCTex is President of that fan club. I'm a member though.

ThunderDan
10-11-2016, 09:36 AM
ZOOK
Ron Zook: Feel bad for him because he’s under microscope. He’s shown he can be better. He has to punt it down there and we have to cover it.

This makes no sense. If I remember correctly he hit all of his crappy punts out of bounds. Nothing to cover.

Also, WTF with Jeff Janis. Was a special team ace last year and now has disappeared except for running out of bounds and costing us 15 yards vs NYG.

pbmax
10-11-2016, 09:41 AM
They definitely are kicking directionally which partially explains Masthay's numbers last year. Problem with directional kicking is the lack of room for error. Zoom-Zoom is erring on the side of out of bounds.

Patler
10-11-2016, 11:34 AM
Also, WTF with Jeff Janis. Was a special team ace last year and now has disappeared except for running out of bounds and costing us 15 yards vs NYG.

After his performance last year, I'm sure he is getting a lot more attention from opponents this year. Then, when you consider that Sunday was the first that he played without his hand and forearm in a cast it perhaps isn't surprising that he hasn't done as much on punts.

As for kickoffs, I saw a video analysis on one of McCarren's(?) shows that had Crosby as a guest, and they discussed what they were doing on directional kickoffs. Generally, they like to have Janis as the outside guy on they opposite side from where they will kick to. His job is to compress the field to half its width by a mad dash to a spot about at the 20 yard line and between the hash marks, hold his ground and make sure the return man doesn't get outside. They showed a couple where he just trashed blockers and got to his spot and even compressed it more. Crosby chuckled, and said "Perfect."