PDA

View Full Version : Former Packers in coaching & scouting

Harlan Huckleby
10-16-2016, 10:55 AM
This is a where-are-they-now? thread for the nostalgic geezers.

To make it even more exciting, you get a bingo chip with the first letter of every ex-player you name. Yell "Bingo" when your card (download from bingo.com) is full, and you will win a $5 gift certificate.

Hardy Nickerson is defensive coordinator for Illinois. The best player on the defense is a middle linebacker named Hardy Nickerson.

Bear killer Ken Stills serves as a role model for youth at some boarding school.
https://www.imgacademy.com/sports/football/coaches/coach/kenneth-stills

Anti-Polar Bear
10-16-2016, 01:42 PM
Marquand Manuel - a Thompson free agent bust -is DB coach in Atlanta. At the last scouting combine, Manuel openly questioned a prospect's sexual orientation ("Do you like men," asked Manuel, violating labor laws). Funny, cos Thompson not only "drafted" Manuel in Seattle, the Polar Bear also brought him to GB. It ain't a secret Ted is...

The great Al Harris, a Sherman acquisition, is DB coach in KC. Not sure if Harris is still smokin' Mary Jane cos he's cut off his Bob Marley dreads.

Patler
10-16-2016, 02:14 PM
Marquand Manuel - a Thompson free agent bust -is DB coach in Atlanta. At the last scouting combine, Manuel openly questioned a prospect's sexual orientation ("Do you like men," asked Manuel, violating labor laws). Funny, cos Thompson not only "drafted" Manuel in Seattle...

Actually, Marquand Manuel was one of Ted Thompsons many successful veteran free agent signings in both Seattle and GB.

Anti-Polar Bear
10-16-2016, 02:20 PM
Actually, Marquand Manuel was one of Ted Thompsons many successful veteran free agent signings in both Seattle and GB.

You sure you're not confusing Manuel with Charles Woodson?

El Manuel lasted a mere 1 season in GB; was cut the next season. Successful? I think not. Wiki says Manuel did catch a pick-6 off Ahmad Carroll's deflection.

Patler
10-16-2016, 02:28 PM
You sure you're not confusing Manuel with Charles Woodson?

El Manuel lasted a mere 1 season in GB; was cut the next season. Successful? I think not. Wiki says Manuel did catch a pick-6 off Ahmad Carroll's deflection.

He started all year for GB, which means he was a necessary addition for that season. Therefore, a successful signing.

But I was more chiding you for your characterization of TT "drafting" him in Seattle. He was drafted by the Bengals, I think.

Anti-Polar Bear
10-16-2016, 02:43 PM
He started all year for GB, which means he was a necessary addition for that season. Therefore, a successful signing.

But I was more chiding you for your characterization of TT "drafting" him in Seattle. He was drafted by the Bengals, I think.

My bad 'bout Ted drafting Manuel. :)

Manuel started by default, cos, Ted failed to find a better player to replace the departed Darren Sharper. The guy was Hades-awful. 'Wood and the rest of the DBs couldn't trust him worth a lick.

Harlan Huckleby
10-16-2016, 03:32 PM
Edgar Bennett is not gone or forgotten.

Doug Pederson lives on in Philly.

Patler
10-16-2016, 03:58 PM
Manuel started by default, cos, Ted failed to find a better player to replace the departed Darren Sharper. The guy was Hades-awful. 'Wood and the rest of the DBs couldn't trust him worth a lick.

Collins replaced Sharper the year before.
Sherman left such a mess that it took more than just a couple years to fix it.

KYPack
10-16-2016, 05:18 PM
Collins replaced Sharper the year before.
Sherman left such a mess that it took more than just a couple years to fix it.

Great to see Tank post something that is both wrong & stupid and make an asshole of himself.

Fortunately, Patler straightened him out.

Again.

Anti-Polar Bear
10-17-2016, 12:47 AM
One-hit wonder Andre Rison coaches high school in Michigan, as he struggles to pay or repay child support. A study shows that kids, especially African-American kids, who grow up fatherless are more likely to make it to the pros than kids with a father figure in their lives. "See y'all on draft day," Rison tells his baby mamas.

Mormon Ty Detmer used to coach high school futbol in Texas. He's now OC at BYU. Ty has how many wives? Polygamy was once hip in ancient times. Animals still practice it in the animal kingdom. Dunno 'bout y'all, but I wouldn't mind having a MILF wife to go along with a 20-something wife and an 18 year old wife.

Favre helped coach a southern Miss high school team to a state title a couple of or a few years back. Usually, I refer to Favre as the GOAT. After reading the Pearlman excerpt about how much of a douche Favre was, I am gonna need some time before I start calling him the GOAT again. I fuckin' wish jocks would all win/play with grace in their hearts and flowers in their hairs.

The legitimate king of the kingdom of Ghana, Charlie Peprah, currently scouts for the Pack under the guidance of the incompetent Polar Bear. Pep's grandfather was the late, beheaded King Ignatius Kutu Acheampong.

BINGO! Yo Huckleby, instead of sending me a gift certificate, please donate 5 bucks to Amnesty International. :)

Joemailman
10-17-2016, 12:58 AM

Manuel played 2 seasons in Seattle, starting 11 games. Would Ted Thompson have signed him? Didn't Ted primarily run the draft there?

Manuel started for the Packers in 2006 before being replaced by Atari Bigby in 2007.

Patler
10-17-2016, 02:07 AM
Manuel played 2 seasons in Seattle, starting 11 games. Would Ted Thompson have signed him? Didn't Ted primarily run the draft there?

Manuel started for the Packers in 2006 before being replaced by Atari Bigby in 2007.

Thompson was VP of Football Operations in Seattle. It is routinely said that his responsibilities were to run the draft and advise Holmgren in all personnel decisions.

Anti-Polar Bear
10-17-2016, 02:21 AM
Thompson was VP of Football Operations in Seattle. It is routinely said that his responsibilities were to run the draft and advise Holmgren in all personnel decisions.

As I so often reminded y'all at the old JSO forums, so incompetent was Ted that on the day they demoted Holmgren, Seattle hired a basketball brass over Thompson.

pbmax
10-17-2016, 07:29 AM
As I so often reminded y'all at the old JSO forums, so incompetent was Ted that on the day they demoted Holmgren, Seattle hired a basketball brass over Thompson.

That worked out well too.

Harlan Huckleby
10-17-2016, 09:02 AM
BINGO! Yo Huckleby, instead of sending me a gift certificate, please donate 5 bucks to Amnesty International. :)

You definitely got skills - bingo skills, numchuck skills, google skills. Unfortunately the gift certificate is redeemable only at Howard Johnson restaurants.

King Friday
10-17-2016, 09:48 AM
He started all year for GB, which means he was a necessary addition for that season.

Well, at this point, it looks like Gunter could be starting for half of this season. Is he a good addition for the team that we should laud Thompson for?

Just because you are starting doesn't mean the GM picked the right guy to fill the hole. The fact Manuel was gone the next year pretty much tells you all you need to know.

Joemailman
10-17-2016, 10:18 AM
Well, at this point, it looks like Gunter could be starting for half of this season. Is he a good addition for the team that we should laud Thompson for?

Just because you are starting doesn't mean the GM picked the right guy to fill the hole. The fact Manuel was gone the next year pretty much tells you all you need to know.

Yes, Manuel wasn't very good. He drove Al Harris nuts at times in 2006 by not being where Harris expected him to be. Harris was touting Bigby in the 2007 preseason and won the argument.

Patler
10-17-2016, 11:39 AM

If by "right guy" you mean a guy that will come in and start for the next 4, 5 or 6 seasons; of course not. But that guy might not have been available. Sometimes you have to use someone to get by for a year or two until you can get someone better. It is impossible to find all of the pieces in a single year or two, and that was my point. With the constraints of a limited draft, salary cap and roster limits you can't always get as good as you want, so you get what you can.

There is a difference between a guy who starts from the first game and a guy who starts because three guys ahead of him are out with injuries. Manuel was a good signing because, of the safeties they had that year, apparently he was the second best. For that season, he was a good signing because he made them better for that season. Gunter also might be a good signing, but he is being asked to do more than he was kept for. No team has starting caliber CBs 4 or 5 players deep, Gunter might be the best #4 or #5 CB in the league. He might be the worst, I don't know. But it isn't fair to judge him against normal starters.

pbmax
10-17-2016, 11:48 AM

Who should he pick up?

Anti-Polar Bear
10-17-2016, 12:09 PM
You definitely got skills - bingo skills, numchuck skills, google skills. Unfortunately the gift certificate is redeemable only at Howard Johnson restaurants.

You're trying to ask me out on a date? I'm definitely single and I definitely need to get laid, but I ain't gay, yo.

Harlan Huckleby
10-17-2016, 12:22 PM
sorry, the Cold Play stuff confused me.

You are the big winner, and you can redeem your prize at Lake George, NY. Act quickly.

http://www.newyorkupstate.com/lake-george/2016/09/lake_george_howard_johnsons_is_nations_last_one_bu t_for_how_long.html

Anti-Polar Bear
10-17-2016, 12:59 PM
sorry, the Cold Play stuff confused me.

You are the big winner, and you can redeem your prize at Lake George, NY. Act quickly.

http://www.newyorkupstate.com/lake-george/2016/09/lake_george_howard_johnsons_is_nations_last_one_bu t_for_how_long.html

Just admit it, you like Coldplay, too. One needs not be gay to like Coldplay. Brad Pitt loves Coldplay. Pitt ain't gay. :)