PDA

View Full Version : Sitton fighting shoulder injury/ Badgers vs OSU combo thread

Patler
10-16-2016, 11:39 AM
He had knee, foot and back troubles with the Packers, and now apparently injured a shoulder in game #2. He has been listed as "LP" in every practice for the last four weeks, except for the first practice this week for which he was "DNP". He has been "questionable" for three of the past four weeks, including this week, but is active today.

Sitton said he lost weight in the off season because he felt he needed to practice more than he has in recent years, and thought being lighter would help because his back had been a consistent problem that kept him out of practices. Apparently his back has been better, but now its something else.

pbmax
10-16-2016, 11:41 AM
The Badger/Buckeye game last night has caused Twitter's servers to crash so I have nothing to offer :)

But I hope this isn't quite the end for Sitton.

I am beyond pleased McCarthy was right about backup O line player. He had quite a streak of whiffing guys he talked up. Lane Taylor has been serviceable in pass pro and a beast at times in run blocking.

Anti-Polar Bear
10-16-2016, 11:51 AM
The Badger/Buckeye game last night has caused Twitter's servers to crash so I have nothing to offer :)

Only watched a the last few minutes of that game, plus OT. But I am pretty sure THE OSU has a better QB than the Badgers. Hell, their 6th string QB is probably better whoever Wisconsin has starting.

Didn't watch the entire game, but I am confident the difference in that game was QB play.

Wisconsin cannot recruit blue chipping QBs. That's a fact. (Jim Sorgi and John Stocco weren't blue-chippers, but they were pretty good, though.)

King Friday
10-16-2016, 11:58 AM
Questionable now is the same as probable was last year...it basically means there is some small chance that you won't play, which could actually be true of just about anybody playing professional football. So I don't buy into that designation too much. However, the injuries seem to be mounting for Sitton. His effectiveness is certainly going to be impacted by injuries, and he's probably not going to last more than a couple years in Chicago. The Bears will be in full rebuild mode after this season...I can't think Sitton is going to be a guy they expect to still be playing at a high level when they come out the other side.

It is becoming very clear that Thompson did not make a wildly foolish move by letting Sitton go. The offensive line play for the Packers has proven to be highly competent overall this season without Sitton, and the team also has extra money available to sign guys they want to keep long term. It was unfortunate that we could not get anything in return for Sitton. It seems Thompson was not willing to make the call on the getting rid of him until he saw that the guys behind him could handle the job, and it apparently took most of the preseason for the team to be comfortable in letting Sitton go. By that point, getting anything in return for him was going to be difficult.

pbmax
10-16-2016, 12:04 PM
Only watched a the last few minutes of that game, plus OT. But I am pretty sure THE OSU has a better QB than the Badgers. Hell, their 6th string QB is probably better whoever Wisconsin has starting.

Didn't watch the entire game, but I am confident the difference in that game was QB play.

Wisconsin cannot recruit blue chipping QBs. That's a fact. (Jim Sorgi and John Stocco weren't blue-chippers, but they were pretty good, though.)

You forgot Russell Wilson that fast?

King Friday
10-16-2016, 12:10 PM

The Badger QB is actually pretty good...he's just very inexperienced. He's a freshman starting his 3rd game last night. His accuracy far exceeds anything the Badgers have had since Wilson. He's a keeper. The Badgers don't need blue chip QBs...because most of those in the college ranks are dual threat guys. The Badgers need a reliable pocket passer with above average accuracy.

The issue with the Badgers is that Ohio State simply has far more athleticism at the skill positions. Wisconsin can hang with any college team in the trenches, and typically has good RBs...but the WRs and TEs typically are a notch below. As a running team, they just can't get great receiving talent to come to town. That impacts special teams as well...because those guys are typically the most dynamic return men as well.

Ohio State is a damn good football team. There are only a handful of teams that are dominating the college landscape, and the Buckeyes are one of them. They just put a dozen guys in the NFL last year...and have about another half dozen ready to go. Tough for anyone to compete with that.

Anti-Polar Bear
10-16-2016, 12:16 PM
You forgot Russell Wilson that fast?

The guy's in Madison for like a semester. Pretty sure if not his American Family Insurance (Madison-based, I think) commercials, many folks in Wisconsin would have a hard time remembering Wilson.

Anti-Polar Bear
10-16-2016, 12:29 PM
The Badger QB is actually pretty good...he's just very inexperienced. He's a freshman starting his 3rd game last night. His accuracy far exceeds anything the Badgers have had since Wilson. He's a keeper. The Badgers don't need blue chip QBs...because most of those in the college ranks are dual threat guys. The Badgers need a reliable pocket passer with above average accuracy.

The issue with the Badgers is that Ohio State simply has far more athleticism at the skill positions. Wisconsin can hang with any college team in the trenches, and typically has good RBs...but the WRs and TEs typically are a notch below. As a running team, they just can't get great receiving talent to come to town. That impacts special teams as well...because those guys are typically the most dynamic return men as well.

Ohio State is a damn good football team. There are only a handful of teams that are dominating the college landscape, and the Buckeyes are one of them. They just put a dozen guys in the NFL last year...and have about another half dozen ready to go. Tough for anyone to compete with that.

UW had a couple of NFL-caliber WRs during the Dayne/Bennett eras in Chambers and Evans. Daniels, Graham, Beckham and Kendricks were pretty good TEs.

Duel-threat QBs are the fab nowadays, but it'd be nice if Wisconsin could recruit a blue-chipper classic drop back QB, a Peyton Manning-clone or something like that. Not gonna happen. Wisconsin can't recruit such QBs.

hoosier
10-16-2016, 12:39 PM

If you had watched you would have seen that the Badgers almost completely shut down OSU offense in first half. Barrett didn't beat the Badgers. OSU superiority in the trenches, combined with greatly improved tackling in the second half (and slightly worse tackling by Wisco in second half), made the difference.

Patler
10-16-2016, 12:40 PM
Questionable now is the same as probable was last year...it basically means there is some small chance that you won't play, which could actually be true of just about anybody playing professional football. So I don't buy into that designation too much. However, the injuries seem to be mounting for Sitton.

The important thing is that he has been limited in practices for four solid weeks, exactly the situation that Sitton himself was trying to avoid.

pbmax
10-16-2016, 12:43 PM
If you had watched you would have seen that the Badgers almost completely shut down OSU offense in first half. Barrett didn't beat the Badgers. OSU superiority in the trenches, combined with greatly improved tackling in the second half (and slightly worse tackling by Wisco in second half), made the difference.

Barrett did beat the Badgers by running in the second. I wasn't concerned about trenches while Badgers on D except for OSU Tackles holding OLBs. The backup to Biegel (#5 I think) getting hurt didn't help.

Once they started putting drives together with his running bailing them out, he completed some throws.

Strictly by throwing metric, Hornibrook was better. But with such a low margin for error, his mistakes were huge. Short fields did not help the D.

hoosier
10-16-2016, 12:45 PM

The one thing that bothered me about Hornibrook last night was that, when the pressure started to get to him in the second half, he began floating his passes. The pick plus the near-pick were the predictable results. Granted, nobody is going to look great when facing that much pressure (and if they want to beat OSU, Wisconsin is going to have to improve its pass blocking or get back the unstoppable ground game it had during the Dayne-Ball era), but a QB with a stronger arm has a better chance of completing long passes to the right guy under duress.

pbmax
10-16-2016, 12:46 PM
The one thing that bothered me about Hornibrook last night was that, when the pressure started to get to him in the second half, he began floating his passes. The pick plus the near-pick were the predictable results. Granted, nobody is going to look great when facing that much pressure (and if they want to beat OSU, Wisconsin is going to have to improve its pass blocking or get back the unstoppable ground game it had during the Dayne-Ball era), but a QB with a stronger arm has a better chance of completing long passes to the right guy under duress.

Yep. I think his pick over the middle was a mis-read (or no read) of Defense. I think the broadcast pointed out he threw it like he did not expect a deep safety on that side of field.

I think he is going to be a good one though. It was his 3rd start and he is a freshman.

Patler
10-16-2016, 12:52 PM
I thought we had a thread on the Badger game??:-) :-)

Anti-Polar Bear
10-16-2016, 01:03 PM

Barrett's last pass was textbook, wasn't it? That's all I remembered from the game. Don't care much for college football nowadays.

RashanGary
10-16-2016, 01:07 PM
Good thing we didn't jump off that cliff. Teds looking pretty right, right now. Which is good because he's paid to be just that.

hoosier
10-16-2016, 01:29 PM
Sitton would look really, really good in a Badger uniform right now.

hoosier
10-16-2016, 01:32 PM
Barrett did beat the Badgers by running in the second. I wasn't concerned about trenches while Badgers on D except for OSU Tackles holding OLBs. The backup to Biegel (#5 I think) getting hurt didn't help.

Once they started putting drives together with his running bailing them out, he completed some throws.

Strictly by throwing metric, Hornibrook was better. But with such a low margin for error, his mistakes were huge. Short fields did not help the D.

Did he do substantially more damage on ground in second half? My impression was about the same, though I haven't looked at numbers. To me the big difference between the halves was that OSU finally managed to punch one in (3rd Q TD) and that the Badgers couldn't sustain any kind of offense after halftime. They had one successful drive, after giving up the lead, and that was it. OSU's increased pressure and improved tackling was the difference.

pbmax
10-16-2016, 01:38 PM
Did he do substantially more damage on ground in second half? My impression was about the same, though I haven't looked at numbers. To me the big difference between the halves was that OSU finally managed to punch one in (3rd Q TD) and that the Badgers couldn't sustain any kind of offense after halftime. They had one successful drive, after giving up the lead, and that was it. OSU's increased pressure and improved tackling was the difference.

He had a couple of key runs for first downs. But they ran better in second half overall too.

Anti-Polar Bear
10-16-2016, 01:50 PM
I thought we had a thread on the Badger game??:-) :-)

lol, thanks for changing thread title.

Patler
10-16-2016, 01:58 PM
lol, thanks for changing thread title.

I'm flexible!

Maxie the Taxi
10-16-2016, 02:26 PM
It's arguable that the Badgers would have won except for a holding call on the Center in the last few minutes. Yes, the sub kicker would have had to hit a long one, but he was solid all night. Once forced into overtime, the Badgers were doomed.

pbmax
10-16-2016, 02:34 PM
It's arguable that the Badgers would have won except for a holding call on the Center in the last few minutes. Yes, the sub kicker would have had to hit a long one, but he was solid all night. Once forced into overtime, the Badgers were doomed.

Wasn't much of a hold either. But they were flag happy at times. Called a lot of stuff interior. But no holds on tackles grabbing waists.

oldbutnotdeadyet
10-16-2016, 02:45 PM
Yeah, I thought Badgers played this team very tough, and lost the game on just a handful of plays. Its a shame they have such a good team in the same year they have such a brutal schedule.

RashanGary
10-16-2016, 03:05 PM
Sitton out, injured now. Feel bad for him. I know if I get paid, I want to prove I'm worth it. I have a lot of pride. Really feel for him falling apart and having to show up knowing he's not worth it.

pbmax
10-16-2016, 03:47 PM
Yep, Sitton hurt some part of his leg.