PDA

View Full Version : Week 7 Other Games

pbmax
10-23-2016, 12:08 PM
Rams well on their way to 7-9. But no Jared Goff yet, Case Kennum all the way!

pbmax
10-23-2016, 12:09 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/theres-concern-teddy-bridgewater-might-never-make-it-back-to-the-nfl/

League doctors anonymously predicting dire things for Bridgewater, via CBS from an Adam Schefter TV report.

yetisnowman
10-23-2016, 12:30 PM
Bradford has a pick in the endzone and a fumble lost in two redzone trips so far. Bizarre game. Both teams have an int and a fumble lost in the first 8 minutes

Rutnstrut
10-23-2016, 01:05 PM
Bradford has a pick in the endzone and a fumble lost in two redzone trips so far. Bizarre game. Both teams have an int and a fumble lost in the first 8 minutes

Bradford looks more like Rodgers has looked lately.

pbmax
10-23-2016, 01:14 PM
Harrison Smith just cheap shotted the Philly kicker. He traveled 5 yards after being tripped by the end on a PAT; the giveaway was him looking back and down for the position of the kicker's leg.

He was flagged 15 yards and cost his team a 2 point conversion. But he should be fined or suspended if intent counted.

Freak Out
10-23-2016, 02:46 PM
Harrison Smith just cheap shotted the Philly kicker. He traveled 5 yards after being tripped by the end on a PAT; the giveaway was him looking back and down for the position of the kicker's leg.

He was flagged 15 yards and cost his team a 2 point conversion. But he should be fined or suspended if intent counted.

That was insane. Suspend the guy to send a message.

Fritz
10-23-2016, 03:00 PM
Just watched most of the Lions' game, and everybody here knows I haven't been a big Stafford fan, but the guy is playing really well. Much better than Aaron Rodgers.

pbmax
10-23-2016, 06:01 PM
That was insane. Suspend the guy to send a message.

Did you see the replay? Haven't seen anyone else talking about this.

From the opposite side camera, looked obvious he was trying to find Sturgis to land on him.

pbmax
10-23-2016, 06:08 PM
I honestly thought the Patriots would blow the Steelers out without BR in the game.

Rutnstrut
10-23-2016, 06:22 PM
I honestly thought the Patriots would blow the Steelers out without BR in the game.

Well it's not really much of a game. it almost seems like the Patriots were just toying with them for awhile there.

Rutnstrut
10-23-2016, 06:23 PM
Just watched most of the Lions' game, and everybody here knows I haven't been a big Stafford fan, but the guy is playing really well. Much better than Aaron Rodgers.

There are a lot of QB's playing better than Rodgers.

Maxie the Taxi
10-23-2016, 07:19 PM
Ouch.

Atlanta lost a tough one at home. Julio Jones was a beast, 9 catches, 174 yds. On defense, 4 sacks and 6 QB hurries. Who is covering Jones for us next week?

I wonder how many times they've lost two home games in a row?

Fritz
10-23-2016, 07:47 PM
Jones is big, I think, and fast. Who can take that on? Oh, Lord, better hope Randall and/or Rollins are/is back next week. And that Dean Lowry's arms magically grow about three inches in the next week. Somebody's got to get to Matt Ryan.

pbmax
10-23-2016, 08:43 PM
Today's Pigskin ‏@TodaysPigskin 22m22 minutes ago
Report: #Browns will consider trading OT Joe Thomas this year -

SURE. IN A YEAR WE DON'T SEEM TO NEED HIM

https://t.co/cQW1tlxd97

pbmax
10-23-2016, 08:44 PM
Seems that unbeatable Vikings lost. 1 game separate the teams.

pbmax
10-23-2016, 08:47 PM
I hate to take any side that looks fondly on Jim Harbaugh, but look at this stadium today:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cvemf83UAAA1UQt.jpg:large

pbmax
10-23-2016, 08:51 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cvd5a25WcAAPoCL.jpg:large

channtheman
10-23-2016, 08:56 PM
Nice delay of game on Seattle that won't get called. Rubin big fat DT just sat there holding the ball, preventing the play from continuing.

Clock ran out to end half. AZ gets no shot at a field goal or hail mary.

channtheman
10-23-2016, 09:31 PM
AZ should have kicked the field goal. Points are hard to score in the NFL and it's almost always the correct move to take the points. Even moreso in a game like this where the score is low. Hopefully, that doesn't come back to bite them in the butt.

Maxie the Taxi
10-23-2016, 10:18 PM
My man Tanner McEvoy is the Seattle hero so far. He'd look good in Green and Gold.

SMBASS
10-23-2016, 10:27 PM
Man I can't stand Seattle, (Mainly because Pete Carroll is such a douche and they get away with a lot of shit they shouldn't.) but this is why I'd rather have a team built on a great defense than a video game offense. Seattle had 80 total yards of offense after three quarters and hadn't been on the Arizona side of the 50 yet tonight but they're still only down by three points. All it takes is one fluke play or one offensive drive and they can still win the game. I think great defense will always keep you in the game and recent Super Bowl winners have been doing it with great defenses and adequate to good offenses. Seattle's biggest issue on O is that they don't have Marshawn Lynch anymore.

The other thing you always notice with great D's is that you have to have an above average to great, fast linebacker corp. One reason why I don't think GB will ever have a great D is because they don't use their resources to acquire these kind of linebackers and for the most part try to get by with mid-rounder's and UDFA type players. Plus I just don't think T.T. and his scouting department are very good at drafting D players. Look at all the high round picks we have now, ( 4 of the front 7 are first rounder's) all of the other high picks that have washed out, (Justin Harrell, Jerel Worthy, etc.) and the return on that investment hasn't been very good.

On another note...David Johnson is a stud for Arizona.

SMBASS
10-23-2016, 10:44 PM
Man, how in the heck did Floyd drop that pass right to him at the Seattle 14? Arizona is doing everything they can to give this game away to Seattle who doesn't deserve it. Arizona got the FG so let's see if their D can hold the Seahawks one more time tonight.

channtheman
10-23-2016, 11:02 PM
Do other teams get the kind of luck Seattle gets? How many teams miss sub 30 yard field goals to let Seattle win or possible win/tie?

SMBASS
10-23-2016, 11:07 PM
I fuking' absolutely hate Seattle and they're bullshit luck. Arizona should have won this game at least 3 times by now. Seattle has had 2 offensive drives past the 50 yard tonight and they were both in OT and they're probably going win this game.

channtheman
10-23-2016, 11:09 PM
This game is retarded.

channtheman
10-23-2016, 11:10 PM
Take a knee for the tie... or?

SMBASS
10-23-2016, 11:11 PM
Good grief...both kickers miss field goals under 30 yards to win the game! I think they should both get a loss because neither team even deserves a tie.

pbmax
10-23-2016, 11:17 PM
I think the most underrated part of FG kicking is the spot. And Jon Ryan got the ball set too far toward the left which screwed up Hauschka's kick.

No idea how the Cardinals guy missed from the 10.

Maxie the Taxi
10-23-2016, 11:21 PM
I want to know why Ariens has the ball on the one yard line and attempts a FG on third down.

ThunderDan
10-24-2016, 07:11 AM
I want to know why Ariens has the ball on the one yard line and attempts a FG on third down.

He did it because he tried to put the Pack away with a pass on 3rd down in last year's playoff game and allowed us to tie the game and force OT.

He played the percentages and rolled snake eyes this time.

pbmax
10-24-2016, 08:20 AM

Third down is just in case something goes wrong (bad snap, hold). You can fall on it and attempt another FG.

Patler
10-24-2016, 08:51 AM
Third down is just in case something goes wrong (bad snap, hold). You can fall on it and attempt another FG.

Back in the '60s and '70s, it was not uncommon to see 3rd down FG attempts for just that reason. Teams didn't have long snappers, it was generally a job for one of the starting OL, and it wasn't always pretty, especially with muddy fields. Since the starting QB was often the holder, fake FG attempts on 3rd down were something to be watched for.

Maxie the Taxi
10-24-2016, 08:53 AM
The point is his FG team had been a disaster all night long. He knows this. The announcers know this. He's one yard from a sure victory. A David Johnson run carries little risk, and even if he doesn't make it, the FG remains an option. It seems to me sometimes that NFL coaches are afraid of their own shadows.

KYPack
10-24-2016, 09:31 AM
Lawd, what a stinky mess this game was.

Thanks God I missed the ending.

This game answered the ? in the other thread.

Why is NFL viewership down?

BC of shit games like this one.

Maxie the Taxi
10-24-2016, 09:47 AM

BC of shit games like this one.Ain't that the truth. There was so much yellow on the field I thought for a second I was watching the Packers. I think the NFL is going through a penalty crisis. IMO if you call something a penalty on one play, you ought to be consistent and call it on every play. What the hell is holding nowadays? Or pass interference? They make a rule to protect the long snapper and then you've got guys like Wagner leaping over the snapper. Like Collingsworth the Great said: "What exactly is incidental contact?"

And I swear there is no such thing as a pancake block anymore. Once the D-lineman hits the ground, it's automatically holding on the O-lineman who put him there.

Rastak
10-24-2016, 10:28 PM
Back in the '60s and '70s, it was not uncommon to see 3rd down FG attempts for just that reason. Teams didn't have long snappers, it was generally a job for one of the starting OL, and it wasn't always pretty, especially with muddy fields. Since the starting QB was often the holder, fake FG attempts on 3rd down were something to be watched for.

Yea Patler, I recall that. Alot of game winning FG's were kicked on 3rd down for the reasons you stated. Don't recall as many fakes but the thought was you botch the snap you got one more try.

hoosier
10-25-2016, 10:42 AM

BC of shit games like this one.

It seems to me that over the past few years defenses have been getting the upper hand over offenses. Maybe that is just the way the pendulum swings. But five or so years ago the NFL was QB-centered, and if you had a guy like Rodgers, Brady, Manning or Brees you had the ability to turn games into Arena league shows. Not so much anymore. Discounting the Patriots, the great teams in the last five years have been great because of defense: San Fran, Seattle, Denver. I haven't checked real numbers but my impression is that the ultra-high scoring games have more or less vanished, and that we're seeing more and more defensive struggles with the expected ugly scores that go with them. If my intuition is accurate, I wonder how much that is affecting decline in viewership.

Fritz
10-25-2016, 10:53 AM

I'm not sure why teams don't use the backup QB as the holder. Is it because they think the backup QB's change so often there's no continuity? Maybe. I guess you'd have to look to see if teams change punters often these days. If so, there's no reason I can think of not to have your backup QB doing it - it gives you an option you otherwise probably didn't have.

I'd like to see Mikey Mike do this. make Hundley the holder, and at the exact moment in the playoffs, you pull off the fake and have Hundley roll out and throw the TD pass, or at least run for a first down.

Why not?

hoosier
10-25-2016, 11:33 AM
Coaches don't use backup QBs as holders for one strategic reason: it is infinitely more demoralizing if you have Jon Ryan throwing for the TD.

Maxie the Taxi
10-25-2016, 11:37 AM
I'm not sure why teams don't use the backup QB as the holder. Is it because they think the backup QB's change so often there's no continuity? Maybe. I guess you'd have to look to see if teams change punters often these days. If so, there's no reason I can think of not to have your backup QB doing it - it gives you an option you otherwise probably didn't have.

I'd like to see Mikey Mike do this. make Hundley the holder, and at the exact moment in the playoffs, you pull off the fake and have Hundley roll out and throw the TD pass, or at least run for a first down.

Why not?One good reason I can think of is the new rule that points after TD are kicked from the 15 yd line making successful fakes less likely.

I think another reason for having the punter be the holder is efficiency in practice. The punter and kicker can go off in a corner and do their thing without disrupting practice of the QB's and the offense.

vince
10-25-2016, 12:23 PM
As holder, the punter receives all the long snaps which makes them all the more reliable receiving the snap and positioning the ball to be kicked/punted. Remember Romo's disaster in that playoff game not getting the ball down? And Favre's come-out game against the Bengals in '92 "holding" for what, in spite of his failure, was the game winning extra point?

pbmax
10-25-2016, 03:05 PM
Also the backup QB practices with the offense. The punter is with the kicker almost all day.