PDA

View Full Version : An example how fast things can change in the NFL

ahaha
09-05-2006, 01:21 PM
It's the first week of the season, the time for optimism to reign. Things might look bad now, but who knows what could happen?
Here is an excerpt for the Boston Herald. It was published after the 2nd game of the 2001 season. The pats were 0-2 and Bledsoe had just suffered that major injury.

Boston Herald - Boston, Mass.
Author: Michael Gee
Date: Sep 26, 2001
Start Page: 102
Section: SPORTS
Text Word Count: 650

Abstract (Document Summary)

[Bill Belichick] is not the creator of the Pats' plight, he's its victim the same as [Drew Bledsoe]. The coach's error was in his bad timing. He took over the team before people were aware just how bad a case of dry rot it had.

Hard as it is to believe now, many folks, possibly including Pats owner Robert Kraft, felt former coach Pete Carroll was the sole reason New England went from 11-5 in 1996 to 8-8 in 1999. In theory, Belichick was inheriting a squad with legitimate playoff potential. He was hired to provide an attitude change, not to rebuild an organization.

Belichick hasn't been a miracle worker. Few coaches are. But neither has he brought the Pats down to their current level. That took years of bad luck and bad choices. Belichick's just a hitchhiker on New England's highway to hell.

Sounds pretty bad.
Here is an excerpt for Tom Brady's biography on JackBio.com

As training camp broke in 2001, there was little enthusiasm amongst New England fans. Despite a lot of new faces—including corner Terrell Buckley, linebackers Mike Vrabel and Roman Phifer, halfback Antowain Smith and wideout David Patten—it promised to be another gruesome year. The Pats needed impact players, and none of these veterans qualified. A pair of rookie linemen—defensive tackle Richard Seymour and guard Matt Light—added depth in the trenches, but only Seymour had the potential to be a major contributor. As had been the case in years past, the team would go as far as superstar Drew Bledsoe could take them.

We all know what happened next. The Patriots went 11-6 and won the Super Bowl.

I'm not trying to make a case that the Packers could win the Super Bowl, I'm just trying to spread a little optimism for a good season. We haven't had much of that this preseason.

Scott Campbell
09-05-2006, 01:27 PM
Great example! Inspiring!

Now if I can just forget the many examples of teams beginning the year by sucking, and then continuing to suck all year long. :cry:

]{ilr]3
09-05-2006, 02:34 PM
Great example! Inspiring!

Now if I can just forget the many examples of teams beginning the year by sucking, and then continuing to suck all year long. :cry:

:mrgreen: LOL.... Oh wait, thats not funny! :cry:

:wink:

RashanGary
09-05-2006, 02:37 PM
Nice Avatar Killer....

Yeah..I don't feel any more confident after reading that. This place is starting to sound more like a support group than a Packer forum.

Iron Mike
09-05-2006, 03:42 PM
Nice Avatar Killer....

I've noticed that there are several members with the same avatar.......could Mad just change EVERYONE'S avatar to that???? :twisted:

Scott Campbell
09-05-2006, 03:50 PM
Nice Avatar Killer....

I've noticed that there are several members with the same avatar.......could Mad just change EVERYONE'S avatar to that???? :twisted:

How bout he changes it just for the Bear trolls?