PDA

View Full Version : TJ Lang Has a Congenital Hip Condition

pbmax
10-30-2016, 09:58 AM
Bob goes 39 paragraphs before unloading this nugget:

Lang has proven his ability to play through injury. He’s doing it now with a congenital hip problem that has hindered him for a few years. Last week, Lang indicated he had a platelet-rich plasma injection over the weekend to reduce inflammation.

He also had major shoulder surgery in February, concussions in 2015 and ’13, ankle-foot damage in October 2014, a torn ligament in his elbow in October 2012 and wrist surgery in April 2010.

which he casts as REASONS TO RE-SIGN Lang. Because he is tough, look at how he plays through a congenital hip condition....

Kinda it the perfect capper to an article about a guy who had his shoulder rebuilt in the offseason.

I don't want to see Lang go, but the backup position is pretty well stocked (Linsley/Tretter) and given this history, Lang has more football behind him than in front of him.

I suspect that is why a third contact is waiting, not because Ted is cheap which is what the rest of the article implies.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/mcginn/2016/10/29/mcginn-criminally-underrated-lang-limbo/92817066/

Bretsky
10-30-2016, 10:28 AM
There are plenty of reasons to sign him too; I think McGinn, one of the best in the business, pointed that out.

When I read the title of your thread, and then the article, I must ponder.....are you Ted's PR guy ?

Teamcheez1
10-30-2016, 10:44 AM
Anyone who plays professional football will leave the sport with a "congenital" health issue. There is no avoiding the long-term injuries from the violent hits.

pbmax
10-30-2016, 10:50 AM
Anyone who plays professional football will leave the sport with a "congenital" health issue. There is no avoiding the long-term injuries from the violent hits.

Then we need to come to a new agreement about what congenital means. Because acquiring it from football doesn't meet the definition I am familiar with. Chronic would, but not congenital.

The "gen" base in there represents genes and genetics, as in born with.

pbmax
10-30-2016, 10:53 AM
There are plenty of reasons to sign him too; I think McGinn, one of the best in the business, pointed that out.

When I read the title of your thread, and then the article, I must ponder.....are you Ted's PR guy ?

No, I am interested in new facts and information. The argument to re-sign a vet like Lang who still plays well is clear. Didn't need Bobbo to make that point.

Nor is it news that both Guards were told their discussions will happen after the youngsters.

The new information is that he has two serious health concerns. Bob could have written a great article about how either affect his long term prospects. But he didn't write that article. He wrote that Ted is cheap and TJ Lang suffers needlessly because of it.

Patler
10-30-2016, 11:01 AM
Don't overlook this tidbit from the article:

Lang suggested the Packers have discussed with him the possibility of off-season surgery on his hip.

I wouldn't expect a contract extension until after the surgery

Teamcheez1
10-30-2016, 11:05 AM
I put "congenital" in quotes because I believe that many chronic issues are labelled as such. I agree there is a distinction as you said, but congenital and chronic seem to be used interchangeably without much differentiation.

It's hard to tell whether a player who has had 6 operations on a knee has a congenital or chronic issue. In the end it doesn't matter.

pbmax
10-30-2016, 11:10 AM
I put "congenital" in quotes because I believe that many chronic issues are labelled as such. I agree there is a distinction as you said, but congenital and chronic seem to be used interchangeably without much differentiation.

It's hard to tell whether a player who has had 6 operations on a knee has a congenital or chronic issue. In the end it doesn't matter.

From the outside looking in, it might be hard to know. But the player would know as would the medical staff. A congenital condition would be revealed at some point, either during a routine examination as a child or after it caused a more visible injury later as a teenager and as an adult. There is a medical trail here. The Packers aren't giving him platelet injections without a thorough medical workup.

Following that trail, finding the exact diagnosis, would illuminate the facts around this story quite well. Bob was not interested. He wanted to write that Ted is cheap.

Patler
10-30-2016, 11:12 AM
No, I am interested in new facts and information. The argument to re-sign a vet like Lang who still plays well is clear. Didn't need Bobbo to make that point.

Nor is it news that both Guards were told their discussions will happen after the youngsters.

The new information is that he has two serious health concerns. Bob could have written a great article about how either affect his long term prospects. But he didn't write that article. He wrote that Ted is cheap and TJ Lang suffers needlessly because of it.

Yup, and if TT signs him to the extension, the hip surgery goes bad and Lang is never the same, McGinn will be the first to write an article about TT panicing and signing Lang to an ill-advised extension in view of his age and significant health issues.

pbmax
10-30-2016, 11:20 AM
TC might be right if Bob wrote congenital and means chronic. But that is a huge error for a newspaper to make. Words are supposed to matter to them.

red
10-30-2016, 11:46 AM
let him walk, our o-line is too good for our qr and wr's anyways

he gets 10 seconds of perfect protection, yet he jumps all around in the pocket, only to get sacked

Zool
10-30-2016, 08:20 PM
TC might be right if Bob wrote congenital and means chronic. But that is a huge error for a newspaper to make. Words are supposed to matter to them.

Neither Bob nor the urinal scented care about facts or accuracy. Click bait articles are all they care about.

call_me_ishmael
10-30-2016, 08:35 PM
Let's be clear... Tretter isn't a guard and neither is the other center. They will be drafting two fat boys high.

RashanGary
10-30-2016, 09:05 PM
It's gonna be Lindsley at C and Tretter at G next year. We're going to pay both. No Lang. Young is better. This is the NFL.

Harlan Huckleby
10-30-2016, 09:21 PM
So Sitton is sitting in Chicago making a cool $10M, nursing his aging body.

Loyal Soldier Lang is soon to be tossed on open market with a major red flag on his scouting report.

The moral of this story is learn how to play basketball or baseball. Football is too rough of a ride. Either that or get under the coaches skin so they release you in time.

pbmax
10-30-2016, 09:25 PM
It's gonna be Lindsley at C and Tretter at G next year. We're going to pay both. No Lang. Young is better. This is the NFL.

Linsley isn't getting paid yet.

King Friday
10-30-2016, 10:34 PM
Football is a business...unfortunately, for guys on the OL, that often means you have to let them go a year too early than risk paying a hefty price for a guy who is breaking down. Sounds like Lang just might be one of those guys...just like Sitton.

call_me_ishmael
10-30-2016, 10:34 PM

Tretter would get completely destroyed at guard. He is way too skinny right now.

Harlan Huckleby
10-31-2016, 12:24 AM
Tretter would get completely destroyed at guard. He is way too skinny right now.

10 pounds or 15 pounds is all he needs. He and the two rookie tackles can form an eating club.

Cheesehead Craig
10-31-2016, 07:05 AM
10 pounds or 15 pounds is all he needs. He and the two rookie tackles can form an eating club.

They just need to spend an offseason with Lacy.

call_me_ishmael
10-31-2016, 09:11 AM
LOL, that is hilarious. And certainly possible. Right now Tretter looks downright fit. He and Spriggs look closer to JJ Watt and his abs than Josh Sitton. Time to start the off-season dinner club!

Anti-Polar Bear
10-31-2016, 09:23 AM
Anyone who plays professional football will leave the sport with a "congenital" health issue.

Some players, especially those that play the "skill" positions refuse to wear a jockstrap. It slows them down. Some NFL pics clearly depict players without any.

Without looking up the word "congenital", I take it to mean the deformation of the genitals?

RashanGary
10-31-2016, 10:20 AM
Tretter is good. He'll be fine at guard. He's more than athletic enough. If he gained 10 lbs, he'd still have enough athletic ability to play guard. He's young and good. I'd like to see him play a couple games before the year is up. Once Lindsley gets back......

Rutnstrut
10-31-2016, 10:32 AM
Time to cut Lang. No reason to keep those proven "older" guys that play through injuries. The TT way is to get the young pussies in there.

Patler
10-31-2016, 11:06 AM
Time to cut Lang. No reason to keep those proven "older" guys that play through injuries. The TT way is to get the young pussies in there.

Do you mean like he did when he got Sitton, Lang, Bulaga, Bakhtiari, Linsley and Tretter in there? Sure, why not?

The flip side of a player who plays through injuries a lot is a player who is injured a lot. Couple that with the inevitable results of players in the second halves of their careers and it argues for letting them go sooner rather than later, if you can.

For the most part, TT's decisions to let players go have proven to be good decisions.

call_me_ishmael
10-31-2016, 11:42 AM
Tretter is good. He'll be fine at guard. He's more than athletic enough. If he gained 10 lbs, he'd still have enough athletic ability to play guard. He's young and good. I'd like to see him play a couple games before the year is up. Once Lindsley gets back......

He needs to gain 30 LBS minimum to play guard IMO. He is super lean.

Harlan Huckleby
10-31-2016, 12:11 PM
He needs to gain 30 LBS minimum to play guard IMO. He is super lean.

He's listed as 6-4. 301.
Spriggs is 6-6. 301 - there's your bean pole

10 pounds would help a lot, 15 would be very good

Pugger
10-31-2016, 02:13 PM
As long as that doofass Barclay is on the team I don't want Lang going anywhere.

run pMc
10-31-2016, 10:36 PM
He's listed as 6-4. 301.
Spriggs is 6-6. 301 - there's your bean pole

10 pounds would help a lot, 15 would be very good

Spriggs definitely need to get stronger; I'm not sure about Tretter at G; I think he could do it in a pinch but C might be better and Linsley is pretty good there. I think they'll either extend Lang with per game bonuses or draft someone and hope they have the guys to help. Maybe they see Murphy as a RG? He needs time in the weight room too. Not unusual for these guys to need to add strength/bulk out of college.