#2 RB*
#3 RB from last year (Crockett)
#1 Specialty RB/#4WR*

#1 TE*

#2 WR*
#4 WR/#1 Specialty RB*

#4 Safety/ST stud

* - Should return well before the end of the season'

While the injuries are extensive right now, if the Packers can hang in there for a few weeks, they should start getting most of their injured players back. In the mean time, backup players are getting very valuable playing time.

Rollins should be back in the next week or two, Randall in about a month. The D-backfield will look a lot better at that time, and will have unusual depth.

Cook was seen at practice last week, working on his own, so he could be back in a couple weeks. Montgomery and Cobb aren't expected to be out long. With Ripkowski adding another dimension, the offense could have a very interesting look the second half of the season. Then if Lacy comes back it will add another dimension.

vince
10-31-2016, 01:21 PM
They were also missing a pass rush and sound play from their young ILB's or they'd have beaten a pretty good team on the road in spite of all that.

Patler
10-31-2016, 01:39 PM
They were also missing a pass rush and sound play from their young ILB's or they'd have beaten a pretty good team on the road in spite of all that.

Pass rush improves with Matthews and better CB play.
I'm not sure their ILB's deserve any more blame than others.

oldbutnotdeadyet
10-31-2016, 01:44 PM
Pass rush improves with Matthews and better CB play.
I'm not sure their ILB's deserve any more blame than others.

Their ILBs appeared to be a 1/2 step off. I won't go as far as saying slow, more out of position.

gbgary
10-31-2016, 02:06 PM

ilb play will come with more experience. pass rush will come when matthews health returns, cb and rb will improve when health improves, te will improve when cook's health improves, etc, etc, etc.

if the Packers can weather the health storm, make at least the last playoff spot, and continue to improve, they might be able to make some noise...which will get us another draft spot near/at the end of the first round. this team is getting more and more behind in the talent department. tt needs to develop more of a 'win now' attitude and get involved in FA and trading.

vince
10-31-2016, 03:49 PM
ilb play will come with more experience. pass rush will come when matthews health returns, cb and rb will improve when health improves, te will improve when cook's health improves, etc, etc, etc.

if the Packers can weather the health storm, make at least the last playoff spot, and continue to improve, they might be able to make some noise...which will get us another draft spot near/at the end of the first round. this team is getting more and more behind in the talent department. tt needs to develop more of a 'win now' attitude and get involved in FA and trading.
I agree with all that (and with Patler's OP) except the talent decline and your suggestion that TT isn't doing his part. But that's such a dead horse at this point I'm not inclined to take the time or energy to argue it. It's pretty clear by now nobody's changing anyone's minds on that issue.

Martinez and (to a lesser extent) Ryan were schooled yesterday, allowing the TE to have a career day off quick-strike play-action game. The little-used RB also came out the other end on a couple runs where Martinez was out of position being too aggressive. That's the kind of mistake you prefer but their mistakes allowed the Falcons to sustain a number of drives, including the last one. They'll learn no doubt but that was a problem yesterday.

Sanu had what I'm guessing was his best day as a Falcon which I thought was primarily due to Ryan being comfortable in the pocket and having time to go to his 2nd and 3rd read too often. They needed to get more pressure. Matthews being out didn't help for sure but the lack of QB pressure and the ILB's were the primary enablers in allowing the Falcons to do pretty much what they've averaged this year offensively - without their two most dangerous weapons in Coleman and Jones doing the damage.

RashanGary
10-31-2016, 04:39 PM
Yep, gotta hang in there and get healthy. Shields, Matthews, Perry and Randall would be nice on offense. Lacy, Cobb and Montgomery would be nice on offense.

Rutnstrut
10-31-2016, 06:06 PM
That's IF Clay's vagina heals, the pass rush may return. I wouldn't count on either though.

Patler
10-31-2016, 08:44 PM
Yep, gotta hang in there and get healthy. Shields, Matthews, Perry and Randall would be nice on offense. Lacy, Cobb and Montgomery would be nice on offense.

Unfortunately, the best it can be is Shields or Lacy coming back. It can't be both.

Pugger
11-01-2016, 08:46 AM
Unfortunately, the best it can be is Shields or Lacy coming back. It can't be both.

I suspect it will be Lacy. I have this gut feeling Sam has played his last game in green and gold. :sad:

Patler
11-01-2016, 08:50 AM
I suspect it will be Lacy. I have this gut feeling Sam has played his last game in green and gold. :sad:

I've felt that way almost since he left the game.

George Cumby
11-01-2016, 10:45 AM
at least as of this past Sunday:

#1 CB
#2 CB*
#3 CB*

#1/#2 OLB*

#1 RB*
#2 RB*
#3 RB from last year (Crockett)
#1 Specialty RB/#4WR*

#1 TE*

#2 WR*
#4 WR/#1 Specialty RB*

#4 Safety/ST stud

* - Should return well before the end of the season'

While the injuries are extensive right now, if the Packers can hang in there for a few weeks, they should start getting most of their injured players back. In the mean time, backup players are getting very valuable playing time.

Rollins should be back in the next week or two, Randall in about a month. The D-backfield will look a lot better at that time, and will have unusual depth.

Cook was seen at practice last week, working on his own, so he could be back in a couple weeks. Montgomery and Cobb aren't expected to be out long. With Ripkowski adding another dimension, the offense could have a very interesting look the second half of the season. Then if Lacy comes back it will add another dimension.

I hate to say it, but with the Bears win last night and the fact pattern above and Rodger's performance on Sunday, God, I really hate to say it, but I am now............................................... .......................................... optimistic about this season.

Maxie the Taxi
11-01-2016, 10:46 AM
Neither one of them is coming back next year, probably not this year either.

George Cumby
11-01-2016, 10:48 AM
So why keep Shields? Would there be a cap hit? Why not just reach an injury settlement?

Anti-Polar Bear
11-01-2016, 11:04 AM
Polar Bear's soft and he drafts soft players. No wonder the team is full of injury-prone milksops.

I dunno a lot about Vince Lombardi, other than that he condoned interracial relationships and winning at all costs ("wining ain't everything, it's the only thing"), but if he was cloned and coaching the Pack today, he'd tell the Claymaker to cut his girly hair and grow a fuckin' pair.

Hamstring injury? Stretch the thing up, tape it up and fuckin' play! It ain't like the Claymaker injured his calf. Believe me, calf injures should not be taken lightly - I once pulled a calf while running a mile on the treadmill and couldn't play disc golf for 3 weeks.

Patler
11-01-2016, 11:35 AM
So why keep Shields? Would there be a cap hit? Why not just reach an injury settlement?

They could release him if they wanted, but there is no injury settlement available. As a vested veteran who started the season on the roster, Shields is entitled to his salary whether cut or on IR. Injury settlements are available only for players without guaranteed salaries. They are entitled to their salary for the duration of their injury.

Cheesehead Craig
11-01-2016, 12:22 PM
He's only a 3.125M cap hit next year if he's done and next year is the last year of his deal. They are going to need that 8M if they want to keep Dix, who I think will bolt if the Pack don't show him the money before his contract runs out.

Patler
11-01-2016, 12:42 PM
Shields played one full game and a bit more between two concussions that were about 10 months apart. I don't see the Packers taking a risk on him next year.

George Cumby
11-01-2016, 12:53 PM
They could release him if they wanted, but there is no injury settlement available. As a vested veteran who started the season on the roster, Shields is entitled to his salary whether cut or on IR. Injury settlements are available only for players without guaranteed salaries. They are entitled to their salary for the duration of their injury.

Gotcha. Thanks.

George Cumby
11-01-2016, 12:56 PM
Polar Bear's soft and he drafts soft players. No wonder the team is full of injury-prone milksops.

I dunno a lot about Vince Lombardi, other than that he condoned interracial relationships and winning at all costs ("wining ain't everything, it's the only thing"), but if he was cloned and coaching the Pack today, he'd tell the Claymaker to cut his girly hair and grow a fuckin' pair.

Hamstring injury? Stretch the thing up, tape it up and fuckin' play! It ain't like the Claymaker injured his calf. Believe me, calf injures should not be taken lightly - I once pulled a calf while running a mile on the treadmill and couldn't play disc golf for 3 weeks.

Hammies are a bad injury. Long muscle belly, used in explosive movements, prone to tearing, especially so if previously injured. Just taping it up and playing would be imbecilic. Like you.

Anti-Polar Bear
11-01-2016, 02:06 PM
Hammies are a bad injury. Long muscle belly, used in explosive movements, prone to tearing, especially so if previously injured. Just taping it up and playing would be imbecilic. Like you.

In my bygone shutdown corner days, I had not one but two pulled hammies for a period of time. Simply stretched it up, taped it up and told the coaches to leave me on an island against Darren Charles. The rest is history.

Anyway, by now it's apparent that the Claymaker ain't the toughest SOB ever to set foot on a football field. If his hair ain't pretty, he ain't gonna play. Suffice it to say, Claymaker ain't Brett Favre tough.

The Packers as a whole ain't very tough. It's a reflection of the Polar Bear. Polar Bear's soft.

George Cumby
11-01-2016, 02:09 PM
The last thing one does with a torn/strained hammy is stretch it. The muscle is already in spasm, in order to protect itself. Stretching it only weakens it further and makes it more prone to a worse tear.

Fail.

Patler
11-01-2016, 02:09 PM
Anyway, by now it's apparent that the Claymaker ain't the toughest SOB ever to set foot on a football field. If his hair ain't pretty, he ain't gonna play. Suffice it to say, Claymaker ain't Brett Favre tough.

I don't know about his toughness, but he doesn't strike me as a guy whose helmet they will have to hide to keep him off the field.

Patler
11-01-2016, 02:13 PM
The last thing one does with a torn/strained hammy is stretch it. The muscle is already in spasm, in order to protect itself. Stretching it only weakens it further and makes it more prone to a worse tear.

Fail.

So, what our shutdown HS CB (APB) had was an old fashioned cramp, probably???

George Cumby
11-01-2016, 02:18 PM
Lol.

No, I think he had a hangnail or an ingrown hair, or a malignant brain tumor or hemorrhoids, but he certainly didn't stretch and tape a previously torn hamstring and then play a career game.

vince
11-01-2016, 02:30 PM
In my bygone shutdown corner days, I had not one but two pulled hammies for a period of time. Simply stretched it up, taped it up and told the coaches to leave me on an island against Darren Charles. The rest is history.
lol. What an inspiration... The immortal legend of Tank Duke. Screw Nitschke and his knees. They just don't make em that tough anymore.

Pugger
11-01-2016, 06:01 PM
Tank is full of shit. :lol:

gbgary
11-01-2016, 06:20 PM
I agree with all that (and with Patler's OP) except the talent decline and your suggestion that TT isn't doing his part.

not saying he's not doing his part just that a change in philosophy is in order. a more aggressive philosophy. you can't keep drafting where we're drafting and NOT have a talent decline. you can't keep hoping a player of impact will just fall to you. we're not the cowboys, drafting in the top 10 every year, where you don't even have to make an effort to get an impact player.

George Cumby
11-01-2016, 06:40 PM
Tank is shit. :lol:

FTFY

Bossman641
11-01-2016, 06:51 PM
Darren Charles has probably gotten more ink on Packer Rats from Tank's legendary tales than the rest of the internet combined

Pugger
11-02-2016, 12:26 AM
Who's gonna tell tank Darren Charles never played football?

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=darren+charles&nirf=darrem+charles

Fritz
11-06-2016, 06:33 AM
Getting back to the original theme of the thread, the Packers look to be treading water. Cook and Starks appear to be getting closer - maybe they'll miss next week, too, then be back? - but Cobb will likely be out again today, and now Tretter is out for several weeks.

And unlike 2010 when I felt the Packers were absolutely cursed, this kind of injury level seems widespread. The Lions, the Bears, to name two - decimated.

mmmdk
11-07-2016, 09:10 AM
This team is missing new thoughts and new coaching - both short term and long term. TT gets a year more if he fires Stubby and most of the coaches.

red
11-07-2016, 09:18 AM
This team is missing new thoughts and new coaching - both short term and long term. TT gets a year more if he fires Stubby and most of the coaches.

absolutely not, because the new GM will just want to bring in his own coach anyways

so we'll have a wasted year

if you're gonna make changes, start from the top. tell TT its time to retire, and let elliot pick the new HC

mmmdk
11-07-2016, 09:30 AM
absolutely not, because the new GM will just want to bring in his own coach anyways

so we'll have a wasted year

if you're gonna make changes, start from the top. tell TT its time to retire, and let elliot pick the new HC

Ok, that makes sense.

pbmax
11-07-2016, 10:08 AM
Why does anyone trust Elliot Wolf?

What has he done that impresses you?

They should grab the best candidate from wherever and give him full control.

denverYooper
11-07-2016, 10:10 AM
Why does anyone trust Elliot Wolf?

What has he done that impresses you?

They should grab the best candidate from wherever and give him fun control.

That's a good point. It just doesn't seem like the Packers are having any fun right now.

Maybe they need to bring in more people who are like kids out there.

pbmax
11-07-2016, 10:11 AM
That's a good point. It just doesn't seem like the Packers are having any fun right now.

Maybe they need to bring in more people who are like kids out there.

And that is EXACTLY what I meant. That wasn't a typo!

:oops: