PDA

View Full Version : Norv Turner Resigns in Minny

Carolina_Packer
11-02-2016, 01:24 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/11/02/mike-zimmer-was-very-very-surprised-by-norv-turners-decision-to-resign/

Wow, didn't see that coming. Pat Shurmur should help with continuity. If it's not health issues, why would you leave half-way through on a competitive team?

Harlan Huckleby
11-02-2016, 02:07 PM
I see a rat fleeing the viking longship. No fun being an offensive coordinator with street free agents filling out the offensive line. Hard to hang on to the "genius" tag.

George Cumby
11-02-2016, 02:57 PM
^^ Agree, it must be health or family crisis.

pbmax
11-02-2016, 02:59 PM
Nope. Apparently Mike Zimmer is a liar.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 16m16 minutes ago
What Norv Turner, who is healthy, said of stepping away as #Vikings OC: “I don’t want anyone to think I am bailing. It just wasn’t working.”

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 19m19 minutes ago
Talked to ex-#Vikings OC Norv Turner, who hasn’t slept in days: “This was the hardest thing I’ve done in football. I respect Zim so much.”

Seems like he was pressured to step down or change role.

Rastak
11-02-2016, 06:05 PM
Nope. Apparently Mike Zimmer is a liar.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 16m16 minutes ago
What Norv Turner, who is healthy, said of stepping away as #Vikings OC: “I don’t want anyone to think I am bailing. It just wasn’t working.”

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 19m19 minutes ago
Talked to ex-#Vikings OC Norv Turner, who hasn’t slept in days: “This was the hardest thing I’ve done in football. I respect Zim so much.”

Seems like he was pressured to step down or change role.

No, he was being undermined and pushed by Shurmer. Everything I hear is Zimmer absolutely didn't ask him to leave let alone fire him.

I had a strong feeling this would be his last year. I think you jumped the gun and overstated that liar accusation.

pbmax
11-02-2016, 06:44 PM
No, he was being undermined and pushed by Shurmer. Everything I hear is Zimmer absolutely didn't ask him to leave let alone fire him.

I had a strong feeling this would be his last year. I think you jumped the gun and overstated that liar accusation.

Well, unless the Tweet I read was wrong, he mentioned Turner is ill, but Turner said that did not have a bearing on his departure. So either lying or ill informed, yes?

Rastak
11-02-2016, 07:00 PM
Well, unless the Tweet I read was wrong, he mentioned Turner is ill, but Turner said that did not have a bearing on his departure. So either lying or ill informed, yes?

Zimmer said he was unaware of any physical problems with Turner. He said "you'd have to ask him." Turner said he thought long and hard about it but felt the offense was moving in a direction he wasn't comfortable with. He also said they were not on the same page.

I have no idea where the quote is that Zimmer said he was sick.

Am I misunderstanding what you are saying? Are you saying where he said there were no disputes about the offense? I believe what Turner said derives from Shurmur and Sparano in the offensive game planning meetings. I knew this would happen.

edit: From PFT

"Vikings coach Mike Zimmer, meeting with reporters on Wednesday, said he was “very, very surprised” by the decision of Turner to resign. Zimmer said that the decision was made solely by Turner.

“Norv is a very, very good friend of mine,” Zimmer said. “He’s helped me tremendously in the three years that I’ve been here. He’s had an unbelievable career. He’s been my right hand man since I’ve been here.”

There were no disputes or disagreements, Zimmer said, regarding the offense.

Zimmer said that he believes Turner is “OK” from a health perspective, but Zimmer wasn’t unequivocal on that point.

“I don’t know, you’d have to ask him,” Zimmer said. “He didn’t tell me he was ill.”

pbmax
11-02-2016, 07:07 PM
Nope you are not. here is the NFL.com blurb:

"He decided it was in his best interest to do this and I accept the reasons, and they are personal, and I won't get into the reasons of why he did," said Zimmer, who also said he underwent a minor surgical procedure Tuesday to repair a torn retina.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000732550/article/norv-turner-resigns-as-vikings-offensive-coordinator

He seems to have suggested, perhaps offhandedly, that Turner did have a medical issue recently, but it was the only fact mentioned about the context for the resignation. So the Tweet I read was obviously referencing the surgery. Turner denied there was a health issue later in the day.

Rap Sheet has trouble with his pronouns but I don't think he is saying Zimmer had eye surgery.

However, without a direct quote, I cannot tell why exactly Zimmer mentioned it.

That said, I would be more worried about Pat Shurmur taking over, agitating or not. He has Norv's record for struggling without his record of success.

Rastak
11-02-2016, 07:07 PM
Nope you are not. here is the NFL.com blurb:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000732550/article/norv-turner-resigns-as-vikings-offensive-coordinator

He seems to have suggested, perhaps offhandedly, that Turner did have a medical issue recently, but it was the only fact mentioned about the context for the resignation. So the Tweet I read was obviously referencing the surgery. Turner denied there was a health issue later in the day.

Rap Sheet has trouble with his pronouns but I don't think he is saying Zimmer had eye surgery.

However, without a direct quote, I cannot tell why exactly Zimmer mentioned it.

ZIMMER had the surgery yesterday. HE has the torn retina.

pbmax
11-02-2016, 07:09 PM
ZIMMER had the surgery yesterday. HE has the torn retina.

Ah, then whoever I read misread Ian's report as I did.

Rastak
11-02-2016, 07:10 PM
Ah, then whoever I read misread Ian's report.

No problem, you're one of the best posters so I was kind of surprised at your take. Tank I could understand.......:-)

Anyway, I'm surprised he bailed in the middle like this.

run pMc
11-02-2016, 07:47 PM
No problem, you're one of the best posters so I was kind of surprised at your take. Tank I could understand.......:-)

My favorite conspiracy theory so far is Turner waited until the trade deadline passed to see if Spielman would find him some capable players to plug in at OL, and left when they didn't.

I could see somebody undermining him...Shurmer's been an OC, Sporano a HC...maybe too many cooks in the kitchen. Maybe he's burnt out and felt it was time to step away. Who knows?

Harlan Huckleby
11-02-2016, 07:54 PM
My favorite conspiracy theory so far is Turner yrwaited until the trade deadline passed to see if Spielman would find him some capable players to plug in at OL, and left when they didnt.

As conspiracy theories go, this one sounds plausible. Sign me up.

Rastak
11-02-2016, 10:12 PM
My favorite conspiracy theory so far is Turner waited until the trade deadline passed to see if Spielman would find him some capable players to plug in at OL, and left when they didn't.

I could see somebody undermining him...Shurmer's been an OC, Sporano a HC...maybe too many cooks in the kitchen. Maybe he's burnt out and felt it was time to step away. Who knows?

I think you are absolutely 100% correct.

KYPack
11-02-2016, 10:43 PM
Wow, this is weird.

+ I like it.

pbmax
11-03-2016, 12:17 AM
Doesn't really reflect well on the org if this kind of thing was really an internal knife fight. Neither Shurmur or Sparano deserve to be rated ahead of Norv.

Cheesehead Craig
11-03-2016, 07:28 AM
Doesn't really reflect well on the org if this kind of thing was really an internal knife fight. Neither Shurmur or Sparano deserve to be rated ahead of Norv.

This falls on Zimmer in a sense. Why would he bring those 2 in during the offseason if it wasn't to put pressure on Norv? Kind of a "get it done or else I'll hand the offense over to one of these two". Is it a surprise that the rumors are that they undermined Turner knowing that one of them could then be elevated should Turner fail?

Patler
11-03-2016, 07:45 AM
This falls on Zimmer in a sense. Why would he bring those 2 in during the offseason if it wasn't to put pressure on Norv? Kind of a "get it done or else I'll hand the offense over to one of these two". Is it a surprise that the rumors are that they undermined Turner knowing that one of them could then be elevated should Turner fail?

Sort of like hiring an experienced ST coordinator to be the assistant under your struggling ST coordinator?

Rastak
11-03-2016, 08:06 AM

I think because last year despite an 11-5 record they had a pretty terrible offense. I think it WAS to get Turner to make changes to his non-working offense.

pbmax
11-03-2016, 09:35 AM
I think because last year despite an 11-5 record they had a pretty terrible offense. I think it WAS to get Turner to make changes to his non-working offense.

Did it work or was it the young receiver who made a Peterson-less offense go? Now that the O line is decimated, Scarano should have his own hands full.

Rastak
11-03-2016, 09:37 AM
Did it work or was it the young receiver who made a Peterson-less offense go? Now that the O line is decimated, Scarano should have his own hands full.

Yea, they were beyond pathetic Monday night. If they don't dramatically improve you guys got the division.

Anti-Polar Bear
11-03-2016, 10:06 AM
Tank I could understand.......:-)

The Viking ship is Titanic-sinking, and Turner just hopped off with the only lifeboat on board.

Sorry Ras: The Queens are fucked; fuck the Queens!

My only regret is, your Purple Queens won't get to use Coldplay's smash-hit, "Everglow", as your end-credits, Super Bowl-season DVD song. There are just some things in this world we just can't change. I can't get laid without paying for it, and the Vikings just can't win a Super Bowl.

Everglow:

oh they say seasons come, say seasons go
this particular season was extra special
and though it's now gone, the world now knows
We are the Queens, celestial

like the lions we beat, the Packers we rolled
like the Bears we circled, in perfect purple

Cheesehead Craig
11-03-2016, 10:13 AM
The Vikes do still lead the division and have a great defense, discount them at your own peril. I think it's going to be a real battle for the division, nobody is running away with it and likely a 10-6 record wins the division.

RashanGary
11-03-2016, 10:36 AM
And the Vikings come back down to earth.

Anti-Polar Bear
11-03-2016, 10:48 AM
The Vikes do still lead the division and have a great defense, discount them at your own peril. I think it's going to be a real battle for the division, nobody is running away with it and likely a 10-6 record wins the division.

I understand great defenses lay eggs once in a blue moon, but c'mon man, that D made Jay-C look like Favre.

Great defense? More like overrated.

Carolina_Packer
11-03-2016, 11:20 AM
I think you are absolutely 100% correct.

Do you think that's an inherent risk of hiring guys who have held more responsible positions previously? To wit, Shurmur was a head coach (albeit in Cleveland), and an OC in his past and until yesterday was the TE's coach. You'd never think a guy like Turner would have to look over his shoulder, and that everyone has to know their role, but perhaps there was a power struggle, or at least something so annoying to Turner that he needed to leave.

hoosier
11-03-2016, 01:40 PM

So what are the chances the Viking offense gets better this year under Shurmur? What are the odds it gets even worse?

Rastak
11-03-2016, 02:00 PM
So what are the chances the Viking offense gets better this year under Shurmur? What are the odds it gets even worse?

Better? Not sure.

Worse? 0%

It cannot get worse than what I witnessed a couple days ago.....:whaa:

hoosier
11-03-2016, 08:30 PM
Better? Not sure.

Worse? 0%

It cannot get worse than what I witnessed a couple days ago.....:whaa:

Well, from my perspective then, it can get a lot worse but it cannot possibly get better. :-)

Pugger
11-04-2016, 07:38 AM

I doubt their offense will get any better with the state of their O line.