PDA

View Full Version : Scouts Inc. reviews Pack vs. Bears

BananaMan
09-05-2006, 07:07 PM
As much as I think Scouts, Inc. sucks, I still like to read it...

Why To Watch

Bears coach Lovie Smith's No. 1 goal every year is beating the rival Green Bay Packers. His defending NFC North Champions head back to the Lambeau Field to attempt to achieve that goal, repeat as division winners and then win in the playoffs aiming at Super Bowl XLI in Miami.

The No. 1 nemesis working to not let that happen will be Brett Favre. The Packers will truly have a home-field advantage with a sold-out crowd of Cheeseheads screaming for an upset. Anything is possible when Favre has the football.

When the Bears have the ball

Rushing: Chicago has decided to start the extremely productive Thomas Jones (1,335 rushing yards in 2005) over the potentially productive Cedric Benson. Both have been hampered by injuries and attitude problems this preseason. Jones came into training camp disgruntled about the Bears' brass desire to anoint Benson, last year's first-round pick, as the starter. Benson injured his shoulder after being tackled by Brian Urlacher early in camp and remains questionable for the opener. Benson has also shown signs of being high maintenance, leaving the field during a preseason game with the Chargers as well as missing a team meeting.

The odd man out in this little backfield drama is the talented Adrian Peterson. The offensive line should match up well running the ball versus a Packers defense with smaller, speed rush-type defensive ends like Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila and the always overachieving Aaron Kampman. Conversely, with speed and effort on the edges, Green Bay can make the Bears' running attack more lateral, allowing the talented linebackers, Nick Barnett along with rookies A.J. Hawk and Abdul Hodge, to run and make tackles.

Passing: Once thought to be the quarterback of the future, Rex Grossman must first establish himself as the quarterback of the present. Having twice suffered season-ending injuries, Grossman has been incredibly streaky and inconsistent when healthy. Waiting in the wings with the experience and ability to successfully lead an NFL offense will be Brian Griese. As much as Lovie Smith wants Grossman to be the man, don't think he will wait too long should Grossman struggle moving the ball.

The success of the Chicago passing game is based on establishing a rushing attack. When the Bears take to the air, Muhsin Muhammad and Bernard Berrian will be the main targets outside. Both these receivers should be well covered by talented Packers corners Al Harris and Charles Woodson, allowing the athletic Packers linebackers to provide additional pressure or cover TE Desmond Clark or FB Jason McKie. The Packers have a talented corps of linebackers and a veteran secondary with excellent cover skills that could frustrate the erratic Grossman into some turnovers when he is forced to pass.

When the Packers have the ball

Rushing: With star running back Ahman Green returning from a serious quadriceps surgery, the Packers must be anxious about their running game. Often-injured Najeh Davenport was cut, leaving Samkon Gado and Noah Herron to step in if Green can't go. Gado must prove that last year's success was no fluke, while Herron is a versatile player who will fill several special teams' roles until called upon on offense.

All of the problems in the backfield don't even address the fact that there are two rookies starting on the offensive line about to line up against the Bears' outstanding front seven. These are the types of challenging match-up scenarios that give coaches gray hair and sleepless nights. The Bears' front seven is arguably the NFL's best in and should dominate the Packers' offensive line. Unless Green is completely healthy, Green Bay doesn't have a running back special enough to produce big yards, especially against a defensive front this formidable.

Passing: New offensive coordinator Jeff Jagodinski has been challenging Brett Favre all summer, trying to cut down on the quarterback's number of forced passes and critical turnovers. Favre is the son of a coach and appreciates honest coaching from Jagodinski, so look for Favre to be more patient rather than forcing passes against this outstanding defense. Look for big rookie Greg Jennings and Donald Driver to be Favre's downfield targets, but most of the passes will be dished off underneath to TEs Bubba Franks, David Martin and even Donald Lee as well as William Henderson out of the backfield.

Favre is savvy enough to work his team methodically down the field. However, if he is taking a lot of hits early look for him to lose his patience and go back to his gun-slinging ways, which is exactly what Brian Urlacher and his defensive mates would love to see.
---

Not bad.

Joemailman
09-05-2006, 07:59 PM
If Harris and Woodson shut down the Bears wide receivers,(which they should) this game could come down to whether the Bears can control the game with their rushing attack. If the Packers can stop the run, this an even, low scoring game.

SD GB fan
09-05-2006, 08:16 PM
well from reading that article, sounds like someone is rooting for us :smile:

gbpackfan
09-05-2006, 08:40 PM
Sounds like an honest opinion from a guy who isn't a Packers or Bears fan.

ahaha
09-05-2006, 08:57 PM
Damnit, I wish it was Sunday!

Joemailman
09-05-2006, 10:29 PM

You're that anxious to go to church?

SD GB fan
09-05-2006, 10:34 PM

hell yeah

GrnBay007
09-05-2006, 11:18 PM
Think they ever mention the Packers in their Church services in Green Bay? Slip in an extra prayer or something. :D

ahaha
09-05-2006, 11:46 PM

Church? I attended mass too many times as a kid. I went to catholic school and they forced us to go three times a week.(Fuckin' nuns!) If there is a God, I'm sure he'll look at my total number of times in church and say, "Whoa, you've served your penance and them some. Sorry about those crazy nuns.".

RashanGary
09-06-2006, 12:12 AM
No way the Packers win this.

Iron Mike
09-06-2006, 12:27 AM

Who pissed in YOUR kool-aid???? :razz:

HarveyWallbangers
09-06-2006, 12:29 AM

This is the NFL, so this is just a dumb statement.

I remember a winless Colts team beating the 1997 Super Bowl bound Packers team. I also remember a bad Buffalo team beating New England 31-0 a couple of years ago. Anything can happen. Is it likely? Probably not, but ANY team can beat ANY team in the NFL.

GrnBay007
09-06-2006, 12:30 AM

Who pissed in YOUR kool-aid???? :razz:

Jennings has been skipping the med pass line for his daily dose of kool-aid. :mrgreen:

I think he just doesn't want to build this game up for a big let down. maybe?

BEARMAN
09-06-2006, 12:31 AM
All I am reading from you packer fans is "IF" this and "IF" that, "IF" frogs had wings they wouldn't bump their arses when they landed !
I am not "IFing" anything ! You are up against one of the best "D's" in the NFL. You have two rooks protecting a jjjiiiittery QB. Your star RB is coming off a major injury, and hasn't played in along time. You have one WR. You are playing more rooks then vets. You add all this up and it spells DISASTER ! Your team is in for an arse whooping of biblical proportions ! The tundra isn't frozen yet, and your packers are going down !

GO BEARS !

Iron Mike
09-06-2006, 12:33 AM
Your team is in for an arse whooping of biblical proportions !
GO BAD NEWS BEARS !

Woof! Woof! :razz:

GrnBay007
09-06-2006, 12:36 AM
http://www.packerpalace.com/palace06/badnewsbears5.jpg

HarveyWallbangers
09-06-2006, 12:37 AM
One intelligent Bears fan that will discuss football in a friendly and knowledgeable manner. Please Lord! Just one.

BEARMAN
09-06-2006, 12:52 AM
What? Is anything I have said not true? Do the pack have more weapons then I am seeing? Are you not starting a bunch of Rooks ? What ?

GO BEARS !

GrnBay007
09-06-2006, 12:57 AM
Hey bearman, I left you a message. Check the top of your screen.

Bretsky
09-06-2006, 01:01 AM
What? Is anything I have said not true? Do the pack have more weapons then I am seeing? Are you not starting a bunch of Rooks ? What ?

GO BEARS !

We have two solid WR's
And we're playing more vets than rookies.

There are your two mistruths.

Merlin
09-06-2006, 07:56 AM
Think they ever mention the Packers in their Church services in Green Bay? Slip in an extra prayer or something. :D

Green Bay? Hell, even across the state our priest slips in a word or two about the Packers!

I remember a few years ago when the Packers played on Christmas Eve, we went to visit my sister-in-law and her family in northern WI. The church set up a TV in the basement and allowed radios with headphones before mass. The priest thanksed everyone for missing basically 3 quarters of the game to attend mass and then said that even God loves the Packers and that he would keep the usually long Christmas Eve mass short!

Fritz
09-06-2006, 08:35 AM
He said God loves the Packers? Wow. Did the Pope sign off on this?

I think maybe Brett Favre should call the signals in Latin.

As for the Bears troll, if he is that confident then he must be putting every last dollar he has, including any money he can get from borrowing on his mortgage, on the Bears. If it's to be a whupping of biblical proportions, then Chicago should have no trouble covering a mere three-and-a-half points, and Bear troll guy will be rich.

So did you mortgage your future on this sure thing, Mr. Bear Guy?

BEARMAN
09-06-2006, 05:25 PM
Hu ? TWO WR ? Whom do you speak of ? Besides DD ? I'll believe you are playing AS MANY vets as rooks...maybe ? What about your RB that just came off a major injury and hasn't played any ball in quite some time ? Or the fact that woodsen looks like a bust ? This will all come clear to you packer fans come Sunday. You will see all that I and other knowlageable BEAR fans have been saying comes true. Then you will understand the urgency in my saying, LOOK OUT... here come DA BEARS !

GO BEARS !

BEARMAN
09-06-2006, 05:28 PM
Weeellll, maybe not the mortgage, but I have laid down a hefty chuck for DA BEARS to cover !

GO BEARS !

BananaMan
09-06-2006, 05:54 PM
Hu ? TWO WR ? Whom do you speak of ? Besides DD ?

The other WR that we speak of is Mr. Greg Jennings, who led the league this preseason in yards.

I'll believe you are playing AS MANY vets as rooks
We're playing 4 rookies out of 22. How stupid are you? 4=22? WTF?

What about your RB that just came off a major injury and hasn't played any ball in quite some time ?
I believe he just played in two preseason games.

Or the fact that woodsen looks like a bust ?
he's already proven he's a shut down corner. one bad game doesn't change that. and to say that Charles Woodson can't cover whatever pathetic excuse for a WR that you line up in the #2 position, well... that's just dumb.

This will all come clear to you packer fans come Sunday. You will see all that I and other knowlageable BEAR fans have been saying comes true.
Post after post I prove you wrong. yet you still keep saying stupid things.

if you're a "knowlageable" (lmao, nice spelling) BEAR fan, then I would just HATE to see even an "average" one.

mission
09-06-2006, 07:33 PM
snip

owned. :wink:

BEARMAN
09-06-2006, 07:46 PM
There you go, getting all animadvert on me... your team is inferior to DA BEARS ! Nuff said. :evil:

GO BEARS !

MJZiggy
09-06-2006, 07:51 PM
No that's not enough. You're going to have to prove it to me. With actual information not hyperbole.

wpony
09-06-2006, 08:18 PM
Well it sure seems like one bear is getting fired up anyway LOL . But with the odds makers coming out with such low odds this week they must know something we all don't and Bretts interview today didn't look like he was thinking we were done I think we are going to surprise allot of people this year. Would be great to start with the no respect bears, what say is it time to turn the bears into the Cubs!! :lol:

Terry
09-07-2006, 06:10 AM
Give Bearman a break and try to be understanding. After about 14 years of being relentlessly trampled by the Packers and causing the spirit of George Halas to wail and gnash his spiritual teeth, this poor hibernating creature (what else would one do through the Autumn if they were a Bears' fan?) finally not only has a chance to eke out a victory against the Packers, but to actually find that it might be possible to do it two years in a row.

You know, this has the be the most awe inspiring, bed wetting type of ecstatic experience, better than being struck by lightning on the road to Starstruck, possibly the most exciting day in his life since he discovered that it really was possible to shit somewhere outside of the cave and his bearcubs starting hiding from Goldilocks of the Green Dress.

C'mon, let's have some compassion. I'd even have to wonder if we shouldn't just concede the game just in case of an accidental win which might put this poor Bear into such severe post traumatic shock that he might never recover.

Terry
09-07-2006, 06:15 AM
Weeellll, maybe not the mortgage, but I have laid down a hefty chuck for DA BEARS to cover !

Not the mortgage, huh? I suspect that's probably because you discovered the going rate for bearcaves was only around $4.95. But I'm happy for you that you laid a woodchuck and got a little cash for the deed. (Was the money just to convince you to get off?)