Lost some big bucks on that screw-up.

woodbuck27
11-14-2016, 06:53 PM
That puts the stake in the Bears 'O'.

Guiness
11-15-2016, 08:47 AM
He is on a franchise tag, no?
Lost some big bucks on that screw-up.

Hadn't thought of that - yes, he is playing under the tag. That means his entire salary is 'base' salary, no signing bonus. He loses 4/16th of it due to this suspension.

MadScientist
11-15-2016, 08:56 AM
Hadn't thought of that - yes, he is playing under the tag. That means his entire salary is 'base' salary, no signing bonus. He loses 4/16th of it due to this suspension.

And it probably hurts his next contract as well. I can see the motivation to push things to get a big payout, but getting caught is killer.

Patler
11-15-2016, 09:29 AM

According to Sportrac, apparently the bye weeks are included in the calculation. I knew it was for pay, they get 17 checks, but I thought perhaps he would lose 4/16ths of his salary. However, Sportrac indicates that his salary dropped from $14,599,000 to $11,163,940 or a loss of 4/17ths.

That raises an interesting question, since Pennel's and Goodson's suspensions spanned the Packers bye week, did they lose 5/17ths?

Pugger
11-15-2016, 10:47 AM
I wonder how great he'll now be for the bares after he is off the PEDs?

Patler
11-15-2016, 11:14 AM
I wonder how great he'll now be for the bares after he is off the PEDs?

Probably won't make any difference. The story is, as with so many others, that he was caught because of a banned component in a supplement he was taking for something else, a component he did not realize was in the supplement. If this is true, I don't see it having a big effect:

The Bears receiver issued the following statement via social media late Monday afternoon:

“As a professional athlete, I have been careful about what I put in my body. I took a recommended supplement to combat inflammation. Unfortunately this supplement contained an ingredient that was on the NFL’s banned substance list. I take full responsibility and I'm deeply upset with myself for not doing the proper research on this supplement. I want to apologize to my family, the Bears organization, my teammates, and Bears fans. I will work hard to earn back the respect and trust of the Bears nation and look forward to being back on the field.”

pbmax
11-16-2016, 08:13 AM
And it probably hurts his next contract as well. I can see the motivation to push things to get a big payout, but getting caught is killer.

Brad Biggs of the Tribune says probably not.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/ct-biggs-alshon-jeffery-huge-payday-spt-1116-20161115-column.html