PDA

View Full Version : Pretend you are TT or M3 - what is your 'one thing?'

Fosco33
11-14-2016, 07:05 PM
Ok - we are in this situation. You can't say things like fire M3 or 'change up play calling' - but what's one, tangible, realistic thing you'd do at this point in the season?

beveaux1
11-14-2016, 07:07 PM
Pray.

pbmax
11-14-2016, 07:18 PM
Forget about the scheme or player groups at attacking the defense's weaknesses. Pick something that is working in the passing game, use it and build on it.

Forget the game plan for four weeks. You need an offense.

The good news is that almost each play in those four weeks they are going to play man to man. Run the man beaters until they give up. Then run ISO while they are in zone.

gbgary
11-14-2016, 08:38 PM
Forget about the scheme or player groups at attacking the defense's weaknesses. Pick something that is working in the passing game, use it and build on it.

yup...this...but since you said it first I'll go d.

I mentioned this in another thread...DBs will play tight man-to-man, jam WRs at the line, and LBs will hammer anyone running a crossing route if it's inside the 5 yard threshold... penalties be damned... just like sea.

pbmax
11-15-2016, 07:28 AM
yup...this...but since you said it first I'll go d.

I mentioned this in another thread...DBs will play tight man-to-man, jam WRs at the line, and LBs will hammer anyone running a crossing route if it's inside the 5 yard threshold... penalties be damned... just like sea.

Not every corner can jam receivers and maintain coverage. Not even Woodson did this. Al Harris did. Tramontana did occasionally, but that might be it.

Patler
11-15-2016, 08:40 AM
Not every corner can jam receivers and maintain coverage. Not even Woodson did this. Al Harris did. Tramontana did occasionally, but that might be it.

...and Al Harris might be penalized right out of the league if he played the same now as he did 10 years ago, as tight as they now call the 5-yard rule and other aspects of pass coverage.

Tony Oday
11-15-2016, 08:52 AM
3 step drops and throw the WR open.

MadScientist
11-15-2016, 08:53 AM
Assume that receivers will not quickly beat man coverage, and design route combos to get somebody open. Use Montgomery as a TE occasionally with Starks in the backfield, to attack the middle.

pbmax
11-15-2016, 08:57 AM

That's also called the Cutler offense :lol:

Or Favre.

3irty1
11-15-2016, 09:21 AM
Bring in a hypnotherapist to influence all offensive players and coaches into playing as if they are behind by three scores from the moment they hear the national anthem.

Moratorium on punting. Sends the desperate message that fans want to see with a radical departure from league norms. Probabilisticly its supposedly a better strategy anyways but even if not McCarthy wants to run more plays and keep the D off the field more that's a way to force it.

Full time switch of Julius Peppers to the tight end position. Fuck it why not?

Install an A-11 wrinkle in the offense with Brett Hundley and Rodgers in the same formation.

Maxie the Taxi
11-15-2016, 09:25 AM
Take what the opponent gives you, i.e., don't get caught up in football theory or plain greed.

mmmdk
11-15-2016, 09:32 AM
Tank the season and get chance at better players. Sign the next Chuck in the off season. Two sides of the same coin.

3irty1
11-15-2016, 09:35 AM
Bring in a hypnotherapist to influence all offensive players and coaches into playing as if they are behind by three scores from the moment they hear the national anthem.

Moratorium on punting. Sends the desperate message that fans want to see with a radical departure from league norms. Probabilisticly its supposedly a better strategy anyways but even if not McCarthy wants to run more plays and keep the D off the field more that's a way to force it.

Install an A-11 wrinkle in the offense with Brett Hundley and Rodgers in the same formation.

Also challenge other NFL teams to televised intramural basketball games. Between Peppers, Goodson, and Rollins we've got the makings a solid squad. It'd be nice to see the Packers win from time to time.

call_me_ishmael
11-15-2016, 09:39 AM
Tank the season and get chance at better players. Sign the next Chuck in the off season. Two sides of the same coin.

:-) You make it sound so easy to find a sure fire first ballot HOFer available in free agency :-p

mmmdk
11-15-2016, 09:45 AM
:-) You make it sound so easy to find a sure fire first ballot HOFer available in free agency :-p

Yeah, I know. But change and a little luck is needed.

Pugger
11-15-2016, 10:14 AM
Assume that receivers will not quickly beat man coverage, and design route combos to get somebody open. Use Montgomery as a TE occasionally with Starks in the backfield, to attack the middle.

this

Cheesehead Craig
11-15-2016, 10:42 AM
Fire Dom Capers and turn the defense over to Winston Moss. What? Like it can get any worse?

gbgary
11-15-2016, 10:43 AM

hey, if they can't manage at least one push they shouldn't be in the league. chuck and al played tight bump and run all the time...at least until they both lost a step.

...and Al Harris might be penalized right out of the league if he played the same now as he did 10 years ago, as tight as they now call the 5-yard rule and other aspects of pass coverage.

but that's the thing...they're NOT calling it tight now. sea proves it every week. if sherman and his buds can't get penalized out of the league no one can.

they've got to do something proactive. it'll mess up the o's timing, give the pass rush an extra second or two. just backing up and letting WRs and TEs run unmolested isn't working. they're getting toasted.

pbmax
11-15-2016, 10:48 AM

I'll take them all.

gbgary
11-15-2016, 10:48 AM

i've been wanting them to play from under center a lot more since FOREVER!

pbmax
11-15-2016, 10:50 AM
i've been wanting them to play from under center a lot more since FOREVER!

That is the weird thing. Was it Atlanta where the under center was working?

Then versus the Titans it was the no huddle.

On a certain level, there isn't once schematic option that will fix all ills. Right now, they need to execute better no matter the call.

Pugger
11-15-2016, 10:55 AM

If you go back and watch how AR played in 2012 this is what you see. Most of the time back then he didn't hold the ball for an eternity waiting for somebody to get open.

gbgary
11-15-2016, 12:18 PM
That is the weird thing. Was it Atlanta where the under center was working?

Then versus the Titans it was the no huddle.

On a certain level, there isn't once schematic option that will fix all ills. Right now, they need to execute better no matter the call.

how about under-center no-huddle? now THAT could really be something. :)

Carolina_Packer
11-15-2016, 12:30 PM
Assuming we aren't spotting them 3 scores and throwing out the call sheet, make them respect the threat of a run game so we can move defenders, now covering, closer to the line of scrimmage.

pbmax
11-15-2016, 12:43 PM
how about under-center no-huddle? now THAT could really be something. :)

Its been done. I like it.

While I wrestle with Tank in another thread about Sherman the GM, Sherman the coach wasn't bad at all.

He ran the shortgun with two backs split behind the QB long before anyone knew was single-back shotgun was or the pistol.

gbgary
11-15-2016, 01:17 PM
Assuming we aren't spotting them 3 scores and throwing out the call sheet, make them respect the threat of a run game so we can move defenders, now covering, closer to the line of scrimmage.

yup...playing more under center does this.

pbmax
11-15-2016, 02:33 PM

They are already doing this. Not out of respect for the run game, but to bring coverage as close as possible to the LOS.

They have seen a lot of Cover 1 since Lacy got hurt. Second safety is providing pass and not run support.

denverYooper
11-15-2016, 04:33 PM

I keep telling myself the Packers would be winning these games if they didn't spot their opponents a lead.

Zool
11-15-2016, 10:32 PM
let one pass rusher through untouched for the entire first quarter. As the get close to Rodgers, chuck the ball right at their nuts. See how bad they want to rush the rest of the game.

pbmax
11-15-2016, 11:25 PM
let one pass rusher through untouched for the entire first quarter. As the get close to Rodgers, chuck the ball right at their nuts. See how bad they want to rush the rest of the game.

Plotline to reboot of Longest Yard.

Zool
11-16-2016, 08:20 AM
Plotline to reboot of Longest Yard.

Burt Reynolds, not Adam Sandler.

QBME
11-16-2016, 09:01 AM
Burt Reynolds, not Adam Sandler.

Yup, and Ray Nitschke was the one taking it in the nads.